Peppermint Bark, HEABified

by HEAB on December 11, 2010

Last week, CD and I received some homemade peppermint bark from our friends Paul and Carolyn…

IMG_6833.JPG IMG_6834.JPG

Thanks so much Paul & Carolyn – it’s delicious, and let’s just say there has been some major damage done to that bag.

Today, I decided to make some HEABified Peppermint Bark inspired by Alex’s Raw Coconut-Iced Bark.

Ingredients:

1 bag unsweetened shredded coconut, 1 chocolate bar of choice, peppermint extract.

Directions:

Make homemade coconut butter.

Chop chocolate bar and stir together with coconut butter and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract.

Spread bark on baking sheet lined with wax paper.

Place in fridge to harden – I left mine in there 15 minutes.

Break apart and serve with Alex’s Grain Free Bitter Chocolate Cake, or muffins in my case. Alex, I noticed this recipe when I was looking for your coconut bark. Oh my gosh, I love it. You are a girl after my own 100% dark chocolate lovin’ heart. :)

A chocolate tasting platter, HEAB style :)

What’s your favorite holiday treat? I’ve always loved peppermint bark, but my favorite would have to be my mom’s black bottomed cupcakes. She’s made them every year for Christmas for as long as I can remember. In fact, I think she baked some today. Mom, I’ll be over first thing the morning!

Jess@atasteofconfidence December 11, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Cut out sugar cookies- they’re a classic!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) December 11, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I just gasped in delight when I read this recipe – it’s like the choco-coconut butter but even better because the chocolate is in big ole chunks throughout. Looks so much yummier than the sugar-filled bark you find in stores. Heather, you are such a genius.

And please don’t make me pick my favorite holiday treat. I simply can’t.

Ashley December 11, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Yum! I just bought the 90% Lindt, and it’s deeelicious! Now to buy some coconut….

My favorite holiday treat would probably be the fresh orange juice and sourdough bread we always make for Christmas morning. :)

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun December 11, 2010 at 8:17 pm

That peppermint bark looks good, but the mini chocolate cake looks even better! Thanks for the recipe ideas! :-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 11, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Those cupcakes….look so dark, delish, rich but not tooooo rich, just perfect! Glad that Summer’s tummy approves of chocolate, even if broccoli per your comment to me, is a no go. Oh well, she has a lifetime to eat her broccoli. ha!

This chocolate bark action looks great. I have a recipe I have been making for a few years. I called them (Raw) Vegan Chocolate Coconut Snowballs. You just take shredded coconut, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and coconut oil (just a dash) and stir it all up in a bowl with a spoon and freeze the whole thing. Then scoop out balls w/ an ice cream scooper as desired. The whole thing makes 1 dirty dish (bowl) and a spoon and takes 3 mins to make. Seriously, the best dessert.

No wait, your moms cupcakes look like the best dessert! Even down here in Aruba, I have been baking/nobaking up a storm. It’s kinda ridiculous….lol

HEAB December 11, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Averie,
Those are some tasty sounding balls. ;)

Heather December 11, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Wow Averie! That DOES sound delicious!

Carolyn December 11, 2010 at 8:43 pm

OOOMMMGGG…so that makes one serving right..? ;-)

HEAB December 11, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Bid,
Yep, 1 serving. ;)

Steph - VegFortWorth December 11, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Yum! Your bark looks great! I totally want to make some right now! I think I’d sub caramel extract for the peppermint, though. :-)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 11, 2010 at 8:47 pm

That bark looks so good – I made maple pecan bark last week.. it’s definitely almost gone! :)

My favorite holiday treat is fudge… or no bake peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} December 11, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Not sure if I can pick just one favorite holiday treat! How about top 3?
1. gingerbread men
2. my grandma’s homemade caramels
3. my grandma’s fudge

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) December 11, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I drooled just a bit when I saw on Twitter: Peppermint bark: HEabified. Swoon.

susan December 11, 2010 at 9:25 pm

That chocolate cake looks like a cake I might enjoy! I’m usually put off by cakes because the are too sweet and one-note.

And I don’t care for white chocolate so this peppermint bark intrigues me!

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 9:54 am

Susan,
Yes, try Alex’s cake. The muffins I made with her recipe were so good, and I know I’ll be making them often. :)

Baking 'n' Books December 11, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I have to check out Alex’s site! Any type of Christmas cookies or fruit-cake (I’m probably the only one!) is fine by me :) . But I’ve over-done it with the treats that I need to give my body a break at some point. I wish I could truly enjoy it and not worry like the rest of you on these festive blogs ;)

T December 11, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Why worry? Some people (cough..me..wink, wink) always over-do the treats. And do no exercise to negate it! Don’t be so hard on yourself….I eat “junk” and over-do things. No point in “worrying” about it. If not, the guilt will eat me up.

lindsay December 11, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Oh I totally made this the other day too but used fig and crushed hazelnut with coconut butter. Love the peppermint and chocolate!
LC

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 9:53 am

Lindsay,
Your bark sounds amazing. Save me some please. ;)

TSB December 11, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I’m currently in a sugar-chocolate-junk “high” coma….and its only begun!
I’m not healthy like you ! And I don’t have much restraint. I read some people saying they need to give the sweets a “break”…I can’t seem to do that. And I really don’t want to try.
Its life!
….slinking off to induce more sugar and chocolate and….everything…coma!

Paige @ Running Around Normal December 11, 2010 at 10:11 pm

That bark is awesome!! nice job:)
Oh man – I can’t think of my favorite…maybe the peanut butter blossoms cookies?

Heather December 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Omg, one favorite?? Ummm, let’s see….shortbread cookies? No, no wait…buckeyes! Yes, definitely buckeyes! Mmmm!

BroccoliHut December 11, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Love this! It can’t get much better than chocolate and coconut, in my opinion.

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 11, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I just got done making some bark! Wish I saw this recipe first!

Christin@purplebirdblog December 11, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Nice bark!! Brilliant! And that bitter cake sounds redonk!

Healthy Chocoholic December 11, 2010 at 11:24 pm

That peppermint bark looks sooo good!!! I actually just bought a bottle of peppermint extract and made homemade thin mints today! This may be next on my list!!!!

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 9:52 am

Healthy Choc,
And I need to add homemade thin mints to my list! :)

michelle December 12, 2010 at 12:15 am

Definitely my moms shortbread cookies. She makes them little and fat and then puts a big dollop of icing sugar (which gets hard) on top and then on top of that a big toasted walnut. Every bite literally melts in your mouth.

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 9:54 am

Michelle,
Yum, I love buttery shortbread cookies. :)

Namaste Gurl December 12, 2010 at 12:51 am

Did I hear coconut….. and chocolate? Those two words definitely reared me in!! :) Love how you HEABIed the peppermint bark as well. Your version looks relatively easy for a non- baker such as I so this may just work over my xmas break….

xoxo

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 9:55 am

Namaste,
I have faith that this recipe will totally work for you, and I know you’d love it miss coconut girl. :)

Lola December 12, 2010 at 2:50 am

Can you believe I’ve never tried Peppermint bark? seriously hahaha but this looks amazing!! :) thanks for sharing!

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 9:51 am

Lola,
No, no I can’t. ;)

Marty December 12, 2010 at 6:29 am

Heather, you are soooooo good at simple recipes, and this sweet treat, will be another HEAB fav! I might try some finely chopped almonds and almond extract since hub doesn’t like peppermint, def dark choc (darker the better)! Sweet sleeps, dreaming of sweet treats! My holiday fav, actually German Stollen my mom made. Being gluten-free, daily-free now I’ll only be able to fondly remember the slices slathered Christmas morn with butter…

Emily December 12, 2010 at 7:05 am

The raw chocolate peppermint bark looks so good! I have been wanting to try coconut butter for so long now but have been unwilling to pay for the jar. I think it’s time to put my food processor to good use and make my own :) My fav Christmas treat is my mom’s molasses cookies. They’re so good, rolled in different Christmas-colored sugar. We are having our annual cookie bake today so I don’t have to wait too much longer for them :)

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast December 12, 2010 at 7:32 am

I’ve got both of those recipes by Alex on my list of things to make. They look delicious and I love your heabified version of the bark!

Sarah December 12, 2010 at 8:00 am

I had always been a fan of the 80-90% variety chocolate bars, but after I read about your eating baker’s chocolate as a snack on here I had to try it.

It’s a problem now. Plus my suitemates actually think I’m a little insane. I think pretty soon I’ll just be gnawing on cacao beans.

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 9:51 am

Sarah,
Hehe – no shame my friend. Always remember, you are not alone in the world of Baker’s chocolate lovin’. :)

Colleen Stewart December 12, 2010 at 8:14 am

Ever since I made the coconut butter all I think about is what I could make it put it on! :) I love dark chocolate. The darker the better. This recipe is a must make for me. Thanks Heather!

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 9:50 am

Colleen,
You’re welcome. Enjoy. :)

Mother December 12, 2010 at 8:17 am

Come on over, I will have the milk poured. Love you,

Annie@stronghealthyfit December 12, 2010 at 8:39 am

I love good old fashioned gingerbread :-)

grocery goddess jen December 12, 2010 at 10:01 am

That looks so good! I always loved sugar cookies growing up, especially the dough :)

Amalfi Girl @ EatRunHaveFun December 12, 2010 at 10:12 am

On an unrelated note, I tried the vanilla almond butter you recommended (from Naturally Nutty) and it is SO GOOD! Great recommendation!

Thanks,

Amalfi (eatrunhavefun.blogspot)

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Amalfi Girl,
So glad you liked the vanilla almond butter. It’s on my Christmas list. :)

melissa @ the delicate place December 12, 2010 at 10:54 am

omg. wow i would take names for that tasting platter right about now. my fave holiday treats are gingerbread or ginger snaps. i love it!

Moni'sMeals December 12, 2010 at 11:13 am

Will make me a chocolate tasting platter HEAB style, pretty please?

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 11:22 am

Moni,
Any time. :)

Natalia - a side of simple December 12, 2010 at 11:37 am

I’ve actually never had bark of any flavor… I must remedy this asap!

Ana December 12, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Oh my, that bark sounds too good Heather, and so does the chocolate cake – it looks like a dark and chocolaty fudge cake, must try it soon!

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 12, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I’ve never had peppermint bark- I only heard about it a week or two ago! My favorite holiday treat is rum balls :) mmmm

Kate @ahealthypassion December 13, 2010 at 11:12 am

i’m obsessed with chocolate bark thanks for another variation I can’t wait to try!

Brooke December 13, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I just made this bark last night. Instead of chopping up a chocolate bar, I melted some chocolate chips and food processed the liquid choc chips with the coconut butter and peppermint extract. This stuff is soooooooooo good and it’s only 3 ingredients! I love it! I put some of this bark in my oatmeal this morning. Soooo good!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Brooke,
I’m so glad you liked the bark. Your version sounds great. Chocomint coconut butter. :) I put peppermint bark in my chocolate protein oat bran yesterday. It melted all throughout. So good!

Monica December 13, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Yummy looking bark!

Favorite Christmas treat is my Mom’s recipe for Christmas cookies. They are so good and spark fond memories at first bite.

Steph December 15, 2010 at 11:20 am

So after I get over my HEAB 2-Ingredient Fudge obsession, I now have something new to try… :)

HEAB December 15, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Steph,
I think the 2-ingredient fudge would be excellent with a little peppermint bark mixed in – give it a little crunch! ;)

{ 2 trackbacks }