Look What’s Back…

by HEAB on December 12, 2010

Happy Pancake Sunday!

I decided to revisit my recipe for protein pancakes after reader Courtney left me a comment with her perfected version. Courtney, ya did good. :) I followed all of her advice, making sure to whip my egg whites with the cream of tarter until extra fluffy and added 2 TBSP pumpkin. I used 4 egg whites and then decided to add one whole egg for a little extra fat. My toppings of choice were HEABified peppermint bark and a little butter. The bark melted and got all ooey-gooey. YUM! Courtney, thanks for reminding me of my beloved protein cakes, and seriously, you guys have got to make the peppermint bark. It’s so good!

Before I go, a good cause for the holiday season…

My friend, Jessica Rae, has composed a song called Christmas in Nashville, and sales of the song will benefit Toys For Tots. Please check it out if you get a chance.

VeggieGirl December 12, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Pancake TIIIIIME :)

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) December 12, 2010 at 12:28 pm

peppermint bark atop protein pancakes?! it’s gonna be a good sunday in the HEAB household!

Christin@purplebirdblog December 12, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I really need to get in on this pancake Sunday business one of these days! :)

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Christin,
I got the teething ring necklace in the mail – that is a brilliant idea. I love it. Thank you so much! Now I need your address. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog December 12, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I’m so glad you like it! I totally thought of you when I saw it. I will FB you my address. xoxo

Namaste Gurl December 12, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I’ve got to try me some egg white pancakes– I always end up making them vegan! Must try in the future…… and my plans for making pancakes this morning got wrecked, oh well, there’s always next week :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood December 12, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Absolutely delicious! Need to wake up one early morning and make those pancakes ;)

melissa @ the delicate place December 12, 2010 at 1:07 pm

i celebrated (sort of) i used my coconut flour pancake recipe and poured it into 5 muffin cups. it was a feast! who eats 5 muffins for breakfast haha. i do. toppings were poached pair, cinnamon and a spoonful of almond butter.

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Melissa,
I would eat 5 muffins for breakfast. If it makes you feel any better, I ate 10 pancakes this morning. :)

Katie December 12, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I can’t wait to be home so that I can start making all of your delicious recipes! I have been eying your pancake recipes for a few days. These sound delicious!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 12, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Yeah, I think it is time for pancakes here too! I am thinking cornmeal though. I am seriously craving them! Yours look delicious and extremely festive! Have a great day Heather! I hope you are enjoying some time inside…I am guessing it is snowing there?

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Sarena,
It is snowing and finally accumulating. Is it snowing in Atlanta as well?

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 12, 2010 at 4:18 pm

We are only getting flurries, but I won’t lie…it is pretty! We won’t get anything like you guys will, but hopefully you all will get some good stuff on Christmas since we will be at my in-laws in Winchester!

Emily December 12, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Welcome back pancake Sunday! I tried to welcome back omelet Sunday today but I totally was not feeling savory and ended up not having it…should have had pancakes or oats :)

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Emily,
Or a sweet omelet. I love adding chocolate + PB or Banana + PB to the center of my omelets. Cheese and jam is another good combo. :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} December 12, 2010 at 1:39 pm

We had pumpkin pancakes for dinner last night. I’ve never tried whipping my egg whites first. I was waaaay too lazy for that last night, that’s for sure. :-)

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Maryea,
Beathing the egg whites adds some major fluff – love it. :)

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 4:04 pm

*Beating ;)

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 12, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Mmmmm sign me up for this beauty! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 12, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I celebrated yesterday with some pancakes – they rocked my world.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 12, 2010 at 2:00 pm

MUST try that peppermint park recipe!! yummy pancakes :) I’ve been enjoying oatmeal pancakes with applesauce and cinnamon lately.. never get sick of them!

Katie December 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Yay for pancake Sunday!

Hope you and that beautiful baby are well! Oh and your husband too! xoxo

Ana December 12, 2010 at 2:15 pm

We had pancakes on Sat this weekend, pumpkin pancakes again, we can’t get enough! This time I chopped a few pieces of a white chocolate bar I had left from another day and it was really yummy on the pancakes, but I think coconut bark would be even better!
I have been making my own coconut butter now Heather, thanks to you! It is so easy and soooo much cheaper to make it at home. It is ridiculously cheaper, I can make an 8oz jar of coconut butter for about $2.00!!!! Amazing!
And the homemade coconut bliss… let’s not even get there, just too good!!

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Ana,
Oooh, white chocolate on pumpkin pancakes. Yeah, I bet that was tasty. Glad you’re enjoying homemade coconut butter – it changed my life. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 12, 2010 at 2:17 pm

The pancakes look great! But yours ALWAYS do! I would love to be able to eat eggs again if for the sole reason…they pretty much make pancakes perfect. There is just not really a way to make pancakes QUITE as perfect using egg replacers. Or by doing them gluten free AND with egg replacers/flax egg, etc which is what I do. So pleas have extra of these on my behalf..but make sure you did them in extra syrup.

And of course, have extra chocolate bark for me too! :)

But I just posted a truly decadent marshmallow + PB + butterscotch chips + chocolate frosting creation that has me….stuffed. lol

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Averie,
These pancakes are egg free and yummy: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/12/05/sweet-potato-whoopie-pie-pancakes/. I think they would be amazing topped with butterscotch chips. What brand do you buy? Been dreaming of butterscotch chip cookies lately.

Baking 'n' Books December 12, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I’m on my way to check out the song – love Christmas music! I watched part of a Country Christmas special a few nights ago. But then I turned on Elf ;)

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 3:54 pm

B n B,
Elf will always trump a Country Christmas in my opinion. :)

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun December 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm

They look amazing, as usual! :-)

Healthy Chocoholic December 12, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Mmmm love me some pancakes!!!!

grocery goddess jen December 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Wow, that is a really good idea….yum

Little Bookworm December 12, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Yay for pancakes. :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence December 12, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I’ve been craving pancakes lately, these look awesome!

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 12, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Yummmm those pancakes look fantastic! I might make some for dinner!

jenny December 12, 2010 at 6:46 pm

mm… reminds me i have to try making protein pancakes. i forgot i had sun warrior in my cupboard.

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast December 12, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I did something similar to the peppermint bark today and pressed them into molded holiday cookie trays and plan to give them as gifts. So tasty and so cute!

BroccoliHut December 12, 2010 at 8:37 pm

YUM! I know what I’m making for breakfast tomorrow…

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! December 12, 2010 at 8:57 pm

MMMMMM those look beyond yummy. Breakfast is my absolute favorite meal of the day. Maybe I will institute pancake Sunday next weekend! :)

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Lauren,
Nothing wrong with Pancake Monday. ;)

Courtney December 12, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Thanks for taking my advice Heather. I love these protein pancakes and had to do some tweaking once more because I’m trying out a new protein powder. The “original” version I sent you was made with GNC Wheybolic Extreme Vanilla Protein Powder. Which has no Xanthan Gum. I am now using Jay Robb Whey Vanilla Protein Powder with does have Xanthan Gum. I left out the baking soda with the Jay Robb and it still cooked fluffily, but a little drier so I’ll add extra pumpkin next time or use your version of one whole egg. Thanks Heather!

HEAB December 12, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Courtney, thank you! The pumpkin helped so much. I can’t believe how long it had been since I made these – so glad the protein pancakes are back! :)

Cailin @ Stir Crazy December 13, 2010 at 7:46 am

This reminds me that I’ve been wanting to try these pancakes. Thanks for sharing the perfected version! I’m thinking these will be part of our next Sunday breakfast :)

Natalia - a side of simple December 13, 2010 at 10:13 am

Ah.. and everything is as it should be ;)

Heather December 13, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Looks yummy! Especially with the peppermint bark! I celebrated PS yesterday too…with German Pancakes! They turned out fantabulous!

Kiran December 13, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Hhmm… Looks so yummy! And I love pancakes and pumpkin! Have to try this recipe :)