Nursery Workouts

by HEAB on December 13, 2010

Like many of you, I feel so much better if I stay active. Since Summer was born…over 5 weeks ago (can you believe it?!?), I haven’t done much exercise. I’ve walked the dogs a few times and done a little at-home yoga, but that’s about it. Oh, I did get on our stationary bike for about 5 minutes of Tabata Intervals, and they kicked my butt! I don’t have much pregnancy weight to lose, but I miss my toned muscles, and I miss movement…and I REALLY miss my yoga studio. However, with nursing, it’s hard for me to get to a class. My mom was actually going to come over and babysit this morning so that I could go, but the class was cancelled due to snow. So, I’ve decided to design some fun workouts that I can do here at home over the next few months. After all, I have a bike and weights…

I own several yoga DVD’s…

Then there’s my big purple ball

And let’s not forget my collection of workout videos

201012131041.jpg

I’m not old, I’m just retro. ;)

My goal is do exercise 5 days a week, starting today with some bike intervals and perhaps a little dumbbell action. Of course, I had to eat a yummy breakfast first, and I made High Tea Oats with a twist…

IMG_6841.JPG IMG_6842.JPG

First I frothed some heavy whipping cream.

And to my whipped cream, I added 1 cup rolled oats cooked in 2 cups water with 1/4 cup raisins, cinnamon, and vanilla…

I love plumped up raisins!

OK, I need to hit the bike and weights before Summer wakes up from her nap. What’s your favorite at-home workout?

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 13, 2010 at 11:58 am

I don’t really workout at home, but I am am hoping to get some yoga DVD’s soon! I’ve never done yoga but I would love to start and learn the basics before going into a class!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Katy,
I started out doing yoga DVD’s at home b/c I was nervous about going to a studio and at the time couldn’t really afford it. Looking back, I really wish I’d gone to a beginner’s class first as I still have incorrect form for some of the poses. So, I would really recommend a good class if you can find one – just so you learn correct form.

Ana December 14, 2010 at 11:32 am

I was going to say the same thing as Heather Katy.
When it comes to yoga, the most important thing is to learn the proper way of doing the poses so you don’t put strain in the wrong places in your body.
Don’t be afraid of taking a first class, we all have been a first timer, even the teacher’s themselves!!
Plus, after you attend some classes you will find which kind of yoga you like and will be able to chose a dvd that better suits you.
Just an opinion, I started doing yoga more frequently this year and I love it. I wish I could afford an yoga studio. Right now we belong to the YMCA (husband plays there and they have a game room for my son, so bonus points!) and that’s where I attend classes. There is always someone new and the teachers are super nice and accommodating.

Faith @ She Kneads December 13, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Clicking the buttons on my laptop to look at food blogs haha

bakingnbooks December 13, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I’ll second that answer. :)

Why is it called “high-tea” oats?

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete December 13, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I love working out at home — I have lots of DVDs – Jillian Michaels, TurboFire, Taebo, Jackie Warner, etc. Plus I have some free weights, so I’m able to get in a pretty good workout without going to the gym.

We also upgraded our cable so we get On Demand — there are tons of little workouts there that I like to use — 2-3 of them in a row keeps it interesting and new.

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Holly,
We just switched to AT&T u-verse. Going to check into any On Demand options.

Healthy Chocoholic December 13, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I like to do some videos from ExerciseTV….they’re pretty good!!!!!!
Those oats look deeeeeelish!!! =D

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 13, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I missed the movement too right after the boys were born. It definitely gets better as far as time goes. That’s why I get up when I do so I can have me time. The oats look perfect! Stay warm today! It is freezing!!!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Sarena,
Nine degrees here today…NINE! :(

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 13, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I know! With the wind chill here we are only in the teens. It is so cold! I need a bowl of those oats about right now to warm up!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan December 13, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I used to work at a gym and had a free membership, but I still chose to do my workouts at home. I do the Body For Life weight training workout with my dumbbells. I do pilates and yoga workout DVDs and VHS tapes. I also have A LOT of old VHS aerobic workout videos that I use now and then. And I have a treadmill that is getting very lonely out in the garage. I should use it more often. :-)

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Emily,
I used to do the Body For Life workout. The treadmill was great for the interval workouts 2 days a week. Very quick and efficient workout.

Christin@purplebirdblog December 13, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I loooove Polly’s DVD. I have yet to get on the Yoga Download bandwagon, but I want to!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 13, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I know I will be right there with you soon enough. It’s a challenge, but definitely worth it. I remember how good those first workouts feel. And it never gets old.

lindsay December 13, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Tabbatas are tough but short and sweet at the same time. Those muscles will be back in no time. I’m sure that breast feeding is really helping too. Maybe you can do overhead “summer lifts” to exercise those shoulders, haha.
LC

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Linsday,
Haha – yes, Summer lifts…I’d think she’d be good to haul around during lunges as well. ;)

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:30 pm

*Lindsay ;)

Mama Pea December 13, 2010 at 12:25 pm

After the girls were born, I switched pretty much to solely at home workouts: treadmill, yoga, pilates and free-weights. Naptime was the best!

Beth @ To the Fullest December 13, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I have to pick ONE favorite? I’m the workout DVD queen! But favorites include:
- Zumba
- the free awesomeness on ExerciseTV’s website
- Jillian Michaels, ’cause she gets the job done
- anything from Michelle Dozois — she gets the job done, too, and she’s NICE :)
- Results Fitness 10 Days To a Better Body — short and intense!
- the Yoga Booty Ballet Live DVDs, because they’re campy and fun
- Wiiiiii! I especially like Golds Gym Cardio Dance and the new EA Sports.

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Beth,
I have a Wii but always forget about it. Adding Golds Gym Cardio dance to my wish list. :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 13, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Heather,
I actually have not stepped foot in a gym in almost 2 years. Slowly I started my collection of yoga DVDs, free weights, bench, pull up bar, stationary bike, and last year a big purchase of a great treadmill which I was so happy I did (I can not and refuse to run and walk in freezing cold weather, my lungs and body hate it). I also bought p90x to switch up my workouts when I get bored, but I don’t follow it religiously because I kind of just do whatever my body feels like doing. I’m a huge fan of working out at home (although I do miss the atmosphere of a gym and classes) but its saved me money and a lot of time. Having all that equipment in the comfort of my home was and is a great investment because its for life! I think your goal is great and your muscles will be toned in no time!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Thanks Felicia,
So encouraging. Really wish I had a treadmill, but at least I’ve got the stationary bike. That being said, my b-day is coming up… ;)

Beth @ To the Fullest December 13, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Oh! And HULA HOOPING! How could I forget that???

Here are good places to start: Hoop City (http://www.hoopcity.ca/), Hooping.org (http://www.hooping.org/), and my YouTube hoopy fanaticism (http://www.youtube.com/user/betherann). :D

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Beth,
Haha – thanks. My hula hooping could definitely use some work!

Kelly December 13, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I know there are a lot of non-Jillian MIchaels lovers out there, but I do love her videos. They’re my favorite at-home workout for sure.

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Kelly,
I have 30-Day Shred, and I like it. :)

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I agree with Faith… My at-home workout consists of moving my fingers on the keypad :) but I do walk a fair bit outside, including 8 flights of stairs every day to get home!

Polkadotmommy December 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Your oats look FABULOUS! Have you checked out yogababy.tv? Workouts for new moms…

You might also look into a stroller exercise group… around here, they meet in the large malls prior to opening to walk in the bad weather and of course, hit the streets when the weather cooperates. Pushing a stroller while fast walking/jogging really does up the ante!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Polkadotmommy,
No, I’m not familiar with yogababytv – thx for the tip! Also, I think there is some kind of stroller exercise group around here, and I know there is a baby-wearing hiking group as well. Can’t wait to join them when the weather gets nicer.

Kim December 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm

After Bella was born, I had to wait much longer b/c of c-section, and then trying to push myself sooner led to a even longer recovery. However, when I did, I started back on the elliptical with Bella right next to me in her swing or basinette asleep. We made it a point to never be overly “quiet” while she napped which to this day makes a huge diff when she sleeps!

Now, flash forward 9 yrs, I am loving my treadmill for incline, new elliptical for HIIT, I Tunes for some awesome yoga ( you MUST check out Yogi Wade, seriously amazing!), and a newbie pilates video I found @ Target 10 mins pilates with exercise band. I swear by pilates in getting my core back in shape after pregnancy. Snaps everything back quickly and easily! You look great!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Kim,
Really? My mom was telling me the same thing b/c I was getting onto her about talking loudly while Summer was asleep, and she told me she should get used to sleeping with noise. She’s going to have to with our dogs barking.

Yogi Wade, huh? Will definitely check it out, and so wishing I had a treadmill. Incline walking is awesome for the butt! :)

Kim December 13, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Invest in a white noise maker, smartest investment you will make that Summer will never outgrow. Makes sleeping anywhere a dream, especially when traveling and out of the “comfort” of home. I used to vacuum, workout, clean the house, ect. You never want it too quiet, better to have her learn ( which she will) sleep thru the everyday noises. I dropped a HUGE pan on the kitchen floor over the weekend @ 5am. Bella slept right thru my noise. Yogi Wade is the bomb, luv his style. Incline also helps core, and booty ( eventhough I dont have one ;)

Melissa Cline December 13, 2010 at 12:34 pm

When the weather’s better, come out with the Bambino Brigade! http://www.bambinobrigade.com

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Melissa,
I definitely will. Can’t wait! :)

VeggieGirl December 13, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Favorite at-home workout = yoga!

Haha, very retro, that you are ;)

Steph - VegFortWorth December 13, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I have several Leslie Sansone DVDs I do when I can’t make it outside to walk or bike.

Emily December 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I’m relating your “having a baby hiatus from exercise” to my “finals and holidays hiatus”…Its not the pounds that are the worst its the lack of tone and muscle! I am trying to make every effort to have exercise and movement be a part of my day. At home workouts are usually On Demand (do you have that where you live?) workouts such as Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred or her Yoga Meltdown (yoga fitness fusion type stuff) and they have regular yoga on there too if I need it :) Also love having my fitness ball and free weights :)

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Emily,
I used to get On Demand when we had Comcast, but we just switched to AT&T U-verse. Not sure if we have it or not. Need to look into that. Thx for the suggestion.

Ella December 13, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I love yoga podcasts, I can do them in my dorm room with just a yoga mat, I get in a good workout and it helps my mental sanity haha.

We used to have a nordic track in my basement, my mom used to drag me and my little brother down there to play so she could keep an eye on us while she worked out.

alli December 13, 2010 at 12:56 pm

ditto! :) i feel so much better being active. i don’t really have anything left to lose. (my little guy is 10 weeks old) but i’m just trying to get the tone and core strength back to what it was pre-preg.
im a home body in every way. i’ve never had a membership and much prefer running/walking outside (in phx we hit almost 80 last week!) or getting in a workout- 30 day shred or p90x is a favorite.
you seem to be doing such a great job being a mommy- loving on her, keeping up with your blog posts, whipping up tasty eats and staying active. kudos to you! :)

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Alli,
So jealous. I can’t wait to get back outside for long walks with Summer. I have a ring sling and Mei Tai carrier, but it’s 9 degrees here in Nashville. NINE! My in-laws live in Scottsdale, and we usually spend Christmas out there, but this year, they’re coming here. Hoping to make it to AZ sometime in late winter or early spring. I need my sunshine fix!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 13, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Omg I just did a big post about 4 weeks ago about how I have streamlined my workout LIFE. Long gone are the days of 45-60 mins of cardio, and yoga, and lifting. Yeah, that’s 2+ hrs a day..or more. Not that I did that every day, and not even sure WHY i did that…but life was calling, i.e. I have a life OTHER than just working out (and even tho I enjoy working out, no one has time for ridic amts).

So I streamlined my workout life. This is it:
20 min run, I dont break any speed barriers so this is about 2 miles. Or if i dont want to run, I just walk for 20 min.

I come in my garage and do 20 more mins of everything from crunches on my ball, I use my 12 lb medicine ball and my 12 lb dumbells and do pushups, situps, curls, various lifting moves, and also various yoga moves/stretching. Whatever i can get in in 20 mins, that’s it!! that’s what i do.

So from start to finish, 40 mins. Done. Love.It. It’s all on my blog on my workout tab.

Love your pics!!! Retro joke…lol

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Blog – workout tab. Awesome. Thanks A. 40 minutes sounds perfect to me…now if you could just send some San Diego weather my way for a good 20 minute walk. Can’t wait to put Summer in my sling and walk outside, but it’s 9 degrees here today. Yuck.

Erin December 13, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I love kettlebells (they burn more calories in a shorter amount of time than anything else and really increase hamstring flexibility, plus, you feel like a badass;) They also change my muscles faster than anything else.
I’m also a fan of Core Fusion/Lotte Berk Method/Bar Method (They’re all based on Lotte Berk- Core Fusion is my favorite and the hardest). I even sneak some Core Fusion in at work sometimes (when no one is in the waiting room, I go and do my standing legwork;) I like isometric/body weight exercises because you don’t need any equipment and they really work!
I also do qigong, which isn’t so much for exercise as for health and emotional balance (although it does slow the aging process BIG TIME and improves bone density and strength).

Jen December 13, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I’m with you on the kettlebells!

I have a 35lb for swings, sumo deadlift high pulls, front squats, overhead walking lunges, one-armed snatch, one-armed press… and a 25lb for turkish get-ups. You can do all sorts of great Tabata-style workouts or intervals with just one or two kettlebells.

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Erin,
Ha – I love that you sneak in your Core Fusion workout in the waiting room. That is great! I’ve heard of the Bar Method, but I’ve never tried it. Need to check out some DVD’s or something…and I really should invest in some kettlebells. I took a few classes last year and loved them!

Erin December 13, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Do you have Netflix? They have several Core Fusion and Bar Method Workouts.

Ana December 13, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I did the same when my son was a baby Heather, some at home workouts, but mostly I used to put him in the stroller and walk a little everyday, he loved it and so did I. However that was around May, June, so it was warm outside. Nap time was great for exercising, not only indoors but also for our outdoors walks. I would go out a bit before his usual nap time so he would enjoy a bit of the walk and then go right to sleep, I was able to walk calmly without he crying or anything. Then when we were back it was time to feed/change him, so we stayed on our routine, he was rested and we both were happy!
As Summer grows you will have more time during her naps, and things get easier, so hang in there right now, it gets better, I promise! Plus I am sure she will love to watch you exercise from the swing, my son was always entertained by that! (for a little while at least)

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Ana,
That’s a good idea – exericse while she’s in the swing. We have it in our living room, and there’s a big open space – perfect for yoga. Now, if I could just keep the dogs from licking my face in Down Dog. :)

Ana December 14, 2010 at 11:39 am

Heather, are there any particular dvd’s you like? I have been taking yoga at the ymca, husband plays volleyball there, nice gym, and they have a game room where my son can play while I exercise, so it is truly an win-win for all of us. Thing is sometimes the classes I can go are not with the teachers I like, and there are other times I have something else (volunteering at Matheus’ class for ex) and I can’t go at all. When these situations happen I wish I had some great yoga dvd.s to do at home. I bought one but the lessons are only 30 minutes each (mostly 20 min with the relaxation at the end) and way too slow for me. I would like more an workout like I get in some of the classes.
I know you love yoga and have been doing way longer than me so if you have something to recommend I know it would be great!

melissa @ the delicate place December 13, 2010 at 1:25 pm

my fave at home work out is either rodney yee’s power yoga for strength, stamina and flexibility or 30 day shred by jillian michaels. i use 5lb weights with that one and i’m sore every time!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Melissa,
I made the mistake of using 8 lb dumbbells the first time I did Jillian’s DVD…I swear I couldn’t move my arms the next day. In fact, I think it hurt to breathe. Hehe. Oh, and I can’t handle Rodney Yee’s speedo. ;)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} December 13, 2010 at 1:27 pm

My favorite at home workout is a doing some sort of station work out–5 min. jump roping, 5 min. dumbells, 2 min. squat jumps, etc. I have P90X and do that sometimes, but I get bored of it quickly if I do it too often. I need VARIETY in my workouts for sure.
I admire your determination to get back into working out so quickly. Besides walking, it took me a while to get motivated after my little one was born.

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Maryea,
VARIETY is key!

Annette December 13, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Good for you- exercise is the best form of stress-relief and I personally feel everyone would be kinder and happier if they all did at least 30 mins of exercise daily. Just saying ;) If you need some motivation, know that I am either exercising on my own or teaching fitness classes to motivate others! :)

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Thanks Annette. :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood December 13, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Exercise is really good for the body… and mind… and soul. ;) I know that it definitely helps me relax, and that’s really saying something! Hehe. My favorite in-home exercise is about everything because I do most of my exercise at home. Something about the comfort of my own home just appeals to me more. Plus I get to be more… crazy. :-D

I own a treadmill, a LOT of workout DVDs, but my favorite exercise would have to be blasting my iPod on my speakers while running/walking on the treadmill for around 30 minutes and then jump off the treadmill and do one of my workout DVDs. One of the DVDs that I’ve been loving on lately is… don’t laugh… The Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga. The instructor in the DVD is really strict, but he’s effective and I love watching him when I do Warrior I and Warrior II on the yoga mat. Hehehe. That is one DVD I never want to return to the library! :)

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Sylvia,
I received Bob’s yoga DVD in the mail. Haven’t done it yet though – kind of scared. Sounds pretty intense. Hehe.

I need a treadmill!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie December 13, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I am a fan of Jillian’s Michael’s 30-minute Shred, just because it’s over in 25 minutes and I usually do feel done-for at the end if I use the right weights. My issue is, I get really bored when I work out at home. I’ve actually struggled to get a home-based routine going, which is how I ended up with two gym memberships and a yoga studio pass.

The truth is, I am a gym girl at heart.

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Alina,
I have Jillian’s Shred DVD, and like you I feel it gets the job done in a short amount of time. I’m also like you in that I get bored or distracted working out at home. The workouts have to be short, and I have a really hard time doing yoga here at the house. I much prefer a studio setting.

Katie December 13, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I workout at home 5 – 6 days a week and I LOVE it. It’s so much more reasonable for me to do that than to go to a gym before work every morning. We have a weight rack and some medicine balls/weights/kettle-bells and a stationary bike in our garage – and I follow the workouts on the website – http://www.crossfitmom.com/ -it keeps me active and SANE!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Katie,
Just checked out Crossfitmom. Looks like today is a rest day. Perfect. ;) No, but seriously, thanks for the link. Now if only I had a kettlebell. Guess I could use a dumbbell instead.

Jess@atasteofconfidence December 13, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I love working out at home. I really like the 30 day shred lately and Cathe’s Cardio workout, too. :)

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Jess,
I have Jillian’s shred DVD. Need to dig that one out. Thx for the reminder. :)

Cyndie December 13, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I’ve been doing p90x for the past couple months. I LOVE it. I love being able to stay in my house and work out. I only skipped one day due to flu…otherwise it’s been really easy to fit in.

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Cyndie,
P90X is intense, but I hear it gets amazing results. I bet you’re looking buff. :)

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun.blogspot) December 13, 2010 at 2:56 pm

The stationary bike is an old go-to for me, too. So are the DVD’s (I like Zumba and Turbo Jam best with that). But the treadmill is by far the best workout. Nothing like running!!
XO,
Amalfi Girl

P.S. Awesome twist on the High Tea Oats! I can’t wait for my milk frother to arrive (ordered one after your last whipped cream oats post. How could I not??)

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Amalfi Girl,
You will love your frother. So wish I had a treadmill. Nothing works the glutes like walking on an incline!

Corey @ the runner's cookie December 13, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Hehe my mom always says she is retro, with her step videos and off-the-shoulder workout sweatshirts :)
I’m not great at working out at home (I get distracted) but someday I probably will have to – and when I do, I bet it will be yoga downloads and an assortment of lunges, crunches on a ball and pushups.

Dea December 13, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I suck at working out at home. I feel I get distracted and stop too easily. I need to fix that, ’cause it’s hard when you have kids to always make it out.
Also since I’ve destroyed my back I can’t do anything. I miss it so much. I just want to go to yoga and get sweaty.
soon, I hope, soon!
Anyhow, I love your ambition! I need some!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Dea,
I hope you get back soon as well. I miss my yoga studio so much, and so I completely understand. Until then rest as much as you can, and take lots of hot baths for your back, perhaps with some Epsom salt.

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion) December 13, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I really want to get a gym at home, so I dont have to leave after getting home from work. I just need to get the equipment! :)

Cailin @ Stir Crazy December 13, 2010 at 3:29 pm

My workouts at home are usually limited to pilates, yoga, and some free weights and resistance bands. I’d like to get some other DVDs though, and I’m thinking of starting P90X. I tend to go to the gym more than workout at home. I think it’s great that you set goals for yourself!
By the way, I think I need to get one of those frothers.

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Cailin,
Yes, get the frother…it’s a lot easier than P90X. ;)

zoe (and the beatles) December 13, 2010 at 3:34 pm

i totally feel you on missing movement! my schedule as of late has been so hectic because of finals! i miss my yoga mat more than anything!!! have fun getting back into the groove :)

(p.s: the picture with you and all your workout videos is so cute!)

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Thanks Zoe, and I hope you’re back on the mat soon! :)

Monica December 13, 2010 at 3:53 pm

We had a stationary bike that I use to be in love with…and then it died and we never replaced it. Now I am trying to talk my husband into getting a spin bike for home, that would be a dream come true!

We have a ton of gear at home (kettlebells, dumbells, battle ropes, TRX straps), but I am terrible about working out from home. It just doesn’t feel exercise motivating.

Hope you had a good workout!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Monica,
Can I come workout at your house? I’ll bring some homemade peppermint bark. ;)

Caree @ Fit-Mama December 13, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Being a mama of 2 little ones, my only workouts are at home (besides an occasional run on the weekends). I found a couple workouts that I absolutely love.. insanity and brazil butt lift (which is really helping me tone my mid section from my babies)..

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Caree,
Brazil Butt Lift, huh? I think I need to look into that one. :)

susan December 13, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Get it girl!

You are one hot mama with or without the gym, but you do what you need to do to feel your best!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Thanks Susan. :)

CookiePie December 13, 2010 at 4:14 pm

You look fantastic!!! Good for you for staying active — it’s soooo important. I think I would have gone nuts as a new mama without my workouts :) People told me it would lower my milk supply, but I found the opposite to be true! I just gushed and gushed milk (still nursing at 20 months, and still working out 4-5 days per week, doing half marathons, etc.!). Anyway – I love running and taking Spinning classes. For weights, I go to Exercise on Demand on cable and use my hand weights, or take a body conditioning class (too lazy to weights on my own in the gym!).

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:36 pm

CookiePie,
That’s awesome you’re still nursing at 20 months. I think that’s great. :)

Natalie December 13, 2010 at 4:40 pm

peeing myself b/c I see 8 minute abs. I have that!! it’s so dated. Love it!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Natalia,
Haha – I used to do 8 minute abs all the time. In fact, I still think I could bust out the whole thing from memory. Hilarious.

Courtney December 13, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I am like you. Love my exercise and miss my toned body. My daughter is 3 months old and I have been working out consistently now for about 9 weeks. It feels great to get some exercise in, but it is always a race against the clock. Letting my almost 3 year old get his two tv shows in and the baby down for a nap so I can MAYBE get an hour on the elliptical. Always depends on when the baby gets up. Anyway, my favorite as of right now is just getting an hour in on the elliptical. As she gets older I’ll go back to the gym and get my weights and yoga in. You can only do what you can do with a newborn.

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Courtney,
Honestly, I cannot imagine having 2. CD and I talk about having another baby someday, but I know it’s going to be hard!

Courtney December 13, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Oh Heather. I have 3 kids. Just two are at home. One is school aged. We were done with two (had our hands full then), but then came our surprise baby. All are a blessing and can not imagine life without them, but yes, it is hard. Not gonna lie.

Jenn @ rost Bites December 13, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Hey…I have that “Cindy Crawford” workout CD…I guess I’m not the only one who bought it….LOL!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Jenn,
Too funny. Not sure why I bought the Cindy Crawford post -pregnancy workout back in the day, but I loved it. Used to do the 3rd workout on the video at least once a week.

Mikaela December 13, 2010 at 5:11 pm

HEAB, I just switched to Uverse (I have the U200 package) and I have ExerciseTV on demand. If don’t know if it’s on any of the other packages below that one but, for sure, it is there on the U200!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Mikaela,
That’s the package we have!!! So excited. Thanks for letting me know. Off to go find our channel guide. :)

Mikaela December 13, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I am not at home to do the step-by-step but I believe you g
press Menu on the remote and scroll across the top until you see “On Demand.” I believe it is called Fitness and Health (or something similar.) Happy workout surfing :)

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Figured it out – thanks so much. So many options! :)

Kiran December 13, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I love the flexibility indoor workouts gives. Especially in this crazy weather :) I do yoga, treadmill and some crunchtastic dance blast :D

Ali December 13, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Funny, i was juelebst thinking about what home work outs i should do for the next two weeks. I’ve been going to fitcamp for the last four months and we have broken for xmas leaving me with three weeks to fill. Today was my first day of “nothingness” and i feel strange already and fear what will happen if i stop working out, ie, i may never go back, so i need to get back on the excersise trail.

Over here in the UK we have a celbrity called Davina Mcall who has released a series of DVDs and sold a shed load. I have a few of hers so will start with those she is really personable a real woman and funny to boot, she has also done some good pre/post pregnancy dvd’s too that you may like? I also ordered the 30 day shred last year and have yet to crack that seal open so this is a great opportunity to get amongst it.

Have a good work out, when it gets warmer maybe you could do the buggy work out?

Ali

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Ali,
I’m counting down the days until the warmer weather arrives. Been a really cold November and December, and as much as I love cooler weather for the holidays, I’m dying to get outside with Summer for long walks! :) Not familiar with Davina Mcall, but will check her out – thanks!

Pure2raw Twins December 13, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Yay for at home workouts ;) Your breakfast bowl looks heavenly!! YUM

I love my at home- bodyrock tv workouts. They are short but intense! Just what I love :)

HUGS
~Lori

Annie@stronghealthyfit December 13, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I love yoga podcasts and yogadownload.com. Also, when I can’t fit in a long workout, some strength training at home makes me feel great anyway!

Emily December 13, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Heather, have you seen the Dance Baby Dance dvd? I really enjoyed it. It is a series of simple dances that you can do WITH your baby. Baby is happy, Mommy is sweating…great combination!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Emily,
No, I haven’t, but I love the concept. Need to look into it. Thanks! :)

Heather December 13, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Mmmm, I love super plumped up raisins in my oats!

I used to work at a health and fitness center that did circuit training. My favorite workouts at home just combine different circuits using my own body weigh, resistance bands, and hand weights. When the weather is nice, I usually do all of this after a 1-2 mile run, but laaaaaaaaately…yeah, WAY too cold! Brrrr!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 13, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Good for you for getting back into the swing of things! My favorite home workout is cleaning the house top to bottom, or doin a video on exercise TV!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Chelsey,
Whenever I clean my house, I definitely consider that my workout for the day. Cleaning up after 2 dogs and CD burns a ton of calories! ;)

Katie December 13, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I was working out at home for about 6 months, but since i also work from home, I like the social aspect of going to the gym and seeing PEOPLE. :)

It is more motivating to lift weights at the gym too.

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast December 13, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Since Annabelle was born getting to the gym has been a huge challenge for me as well. So I have fallen in love with Karen Voight’s Yoga Strength workout which is only 30 minutes (that’s all I typically have time for) but hits just about everything. I have also been stair climbing when I’m walking Annabelle to sleep – usually 15-25 minutes. Every little bit helps!

My husband and I recently signed up for a 10 mile race in April (just before Annabelle is 1 year old) though so I’m going to have to make time for training soon!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Emily,
That’s a good idea – I could walk stairs with Summer, and you’ll do great in your race in April. My first 10-mile race is what motivated me to sign up for my first half, and then full…and then a 50K. Beware…those long distance races can snowball and are very addicting. ;)

Annie December 13, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Well… right now I am LOVING my XBox360 Kinect.. it reminds me of the old old star trek show… but now in my living room… beam me up Scotty!
Annie

Ellen @ fatgirlwearingthin December 13, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I just posted about this actually. I go to the library and check out lots of dvds for free, then try them out to see if I can actually do any of them….I’m not particularly coordinated and I like a lot of repetitive moves. Right now my favorite is Totally Fit by Mel B (yes, Scary Spice herself). It is really good and challenging. Great workout.
Hope you are able to get back to yoga once this snow stops! We were dumped on here, too!

Susie @ Vegging Out Online December 13, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Push-ups, every day. 10-lb weights, a few times a week. For aerobics, here’s my TV workout: I put on Food Network(!), HGTV, or whatever I have DVR’d. I have a digital clock next to the TV, and I wear a pedometer. I walk in place for about 3 minutes to warm up (increasingly faster, up to a jog). Then I do 8 of these intervals, for a total of 24 minutes: 1 minute of sprinting in place, followed by 2 minutes of fast-walking/jogging in place. Then, cool down for about 3 minutes. This amounts to 2+ miles in 30 minutes, while watching TV!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Susie,
That’s great – thanks…I love HGTV. :

Mandy A December 13, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Hey girl!

I work out at home a lot – I use Turbo Fire, Chalean Extreme, The Firm, different yoga videos, too.

But a few times a week, I like to get out of the house and go to my amazing zumba class. If you’re ever interested, please join me :) I think I’ve told you about them before! I adore the instructor – her classes are high energy and addicting! We have made so many new friends through this “community” and I can’t speak highly enough about them all! I am NOT a dancer… but it’s just about having a good time and breaking a sweat without feeling like you are :)

The website is http://www.bfabfitness.com – there’s a ton of locations around town… if you ever want to join, let me know and I’ll fill ya in on when we go, etc.

Love ya girl!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Hi Mandy!
Hope you’re enjoying your holidays thus far. I miss you! Would love to join you for zumba some day. Maybe after the New Year. :)

Hanna M. December 15, 2010 at 5:15 am

I love zumba too! :) It’s not easy, but it’s fun and the instructors just radiate positive energy.

Cindy December 13, 2010 at 9:05 pm

You must check out the postnatal yoga by Tracy Anderson and my all time favorite 10 min. Body Sculpt workouts by Exhale. With 3 small girls at home, I’m grateful to squeeze in a few 10-min workouts.. abs, thighs, arms, etc. I don’t have an hour every day but I ave the need to burn off energy every day. I just got their bootcamp (also 10 min work outs) and it had the hardest abs I’ve done in a long time. http://www.exhalespa.com/default/Core/DVDs/Default.aspx. You feel like you’ve worked hard in whatever time you have!!!

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Cindy,
10 minutes? Sounds perfect. :)

CINDY December 13, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Truly. I can squeeze in 10 min or intense arms and then 10 min of thighs (and feel like I’ve done something for myself) before I start being a mom for my 6:00 am daughter. You could do 10 min of abs, nurse, then 10 min of arms, laundry and then 10 min of glutes before taking a nap :)

Katie December 13, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Sometimes we need a change of pace in workouts. Obviously your body is telling you that it is healing from your pregnancy, because you are craving a good workout. That’s great! I am hooked on spin classes 3x a week, core 2x a week, and bodypump 3x a week, but I wonder when I will tire of the routine? I try to switch up the times I go on different days, that way I experience different instructors with different routines. Also, I plan on starting some pilates and yoga classes in addition to the classes I am already taking. I really want to get a WIDE variety of movement and exercise. I have been neglecting my yoga practice lately due to schedule conflicts with college and all, but now that I have break and will be having more free time next semester, I hope to get back into my yoga groove. :)

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Katie,
I hope to get back in my groove too…and soon! I miss it.

Allie (Nutty FlexitALLIEan) December 13, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Good for you getting back into workouts as a new mommy! Gotta love those exercise videos (I can’t get enough!)

Charlotte December 13, 2010 at 10:18 pm

My current fave at-home workout is bodyrock.tv! Zuzana posts new workouts almost daily and they require almost no equipment. But they are SUPER tough. I love it. LOVE.

charlotte December 13, 2010 at 10:20 pm

PS> When I’d nurse Jelly Bean after I worked out and was all sweaty, she’d start licking my skin, like I was a giant salt lick or something. It was hilarious and her little intense face always made me giggle.

HEAB December 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Charlotte,
Oh my gosh, that is too funny and really cute. OK, just checked out Zuzana’s site. 300 jumping lunges!?! Well, if I end up looking like her, sign me up!

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple December 13, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Ha! Not old just retro. I think that’s funny.

I have two videos that I like at home (see, I said video, not DVD, which makes me also old. But they are actually DVDs.)

Biggest Loser Yoga, and Jillian Michael’s Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. I like ‘em because they are hard. They both have spots in them where I just can’t continue.

Truthfully though, I’m not much of an at-home exerciser. I want to be, really. But I’m not. I have a tiny 2BR house, no room for much in the way of exercise equipment. I do love walking, running (when my knee isn’t hurting), and biking.

I’m more of a gym rat. I WANT to work out at home. And I WANT to do more muscle workouts too. I used to LOVE going to classes at my old gym (step, kickboxing, spin). I can “keep going” longer that way. But I never really got into the classes at my new gym, and there aren’t many.

I’m testing out the YMCA right now, for the pool. But it’s $100/month for the family, and so far, I’m not feeling it. I like the pool, sure, but if I swim 2x a week, it’s $12+ per swim. The mix of people is mostly old people. They do have a LOT of classes (a gym, two studios, and a spin room), so I’ll try some classes and see if I like them. Just don’t know if I can justify the extra $$ (my current gym is $200/YEAR for the two of us).

After having my son, I basically walked 1 hr/day for the first 6 weeks, then started back at the gym (would get up at 4 am to nurse, pump, and workout before being at work at 7 am). But with the full time job, I was carrying an extra 15 lbs for almost 2 years.

Averie has some GREAT streamlined workouts. My workouts are very streamlined now. A long one is 50 mins, short ones are 25 mins.

HEAB December 14, 2010 at 11:54 am

$200 for the year?!? You really can’t beat that. We have some great Y’s here in Middle TN. I was a member for years until I started doing more yoga. I finally gave up my gym membership in favor of purchasing class packages at a yoga studio. They Y was great, but its yoga classes were not. j

Streamlined sounds good – Averie left me a comment about her workouts, and I love the idea of getting the job done in 25 minutes. Thanks Marcia!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! December 13, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I love doing yoga at home. I purchased Tara Stiles new book “Slim Calm Sexy Yoga,” and love doing routines from it at home. I also DVR workout shows so I can do them whenever I have extra time! Good luck with the at home workout sessions! I still can’t believe you just had a baby, you look fabulous!

HEAB December 14, 2010 at 11:55 am

Lauren,
That’s a great idea to DVR workout shows. I never thought to do that. Thanks!

clare December 13, 2010 at 11:39 pm

wow totally forgot how awesomer raisins are. thanks for the reminder!

lately ive been getting various yoga DVD’s from netflix. i am falling quickly in love with shiva rae! i also did a crunch video, but it was pretty dumb. with 2 feet of snow freshly dumped, my best “home” workout is snowshoeing!

HEAB December 14, 2010 at 11:56 am

Clare,
Shiva Rae is coming to Nashville in a few months to teach a workshop at my favorite studio. I CANNOT WAIT!

Kate @ahealthypassion December 14, 2010 at 12:54 am

I love Jillian Michaels videos she always kicks my butt and for a more relaxing workout I like Body by Bethenny and any of Kristen McGee’s dvds.

HEAB December 14, 2010 at 11:57 am

Thanks Kate. I’m not familiar with Kristen McGee – will have to check her out. :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) December 14, 2010 at 1:16 am

Good for you. I love plyo mixed with lunges and squats. Great workout- high heart-rate and DOMS to the moon!

Love you!

HEAB December 14, 2010 at 11:57 am

Deb,
Yes, I look forward to carrying Summer around while lunging, Deb style. ;)

Michelle December 14, 2010 at 1:27 am

Don’t laugh but I just bought a second hand ab circle pro. I’m not liking my new gym since it’s so full of grunting monkeys :( so I thought I’d give my little muffin top a gift. So far I’m up to 15 min and it’s actually fairly challenging. I heard someone laugh :)

HEAB December 14, 2010 at 11:58 am

Michelle,
Sorry, couldn’t help myself…that was me laughing. Hope the muffin top melts away soon, and if it does, please let me know. Might have to get an ab circle pro for myself! ;)

Emily December 14, 2010 at 2:36 am

I like this new challenge! I went back and read your old post about your workout VHS tapes. It made me laugh because I’m the same way. I’ve collected tons of workout DVDS and tapes over the years. I’m doing all of Jillian’s right now. I don’t really like her, but she does give you a good workout.

Hey, maybe you should get a spinning DVD to use on your bike??

HEAB December 14, 2010 at 11:59 am

Emily,
A spinning DVD – hat’s a great idea. Never thought of that. Thanks…and yes, not a huge fan of Jillian either, but she gets the job done!

Shauna December 14, 2010 at 10:47 am

I do BodyFlow at home, which is a mix of yoga and pilates choreographed to music. Unfortunately, it’s only available to me because I am a certified instructor. I don’t have all the weights I need at home, so I focus on bodyweight exercises, which when combined with a ball and TRX system can be super challenging, even though I am used to lifting heavy. Legs are the hardest, but if have found I can really challenge myself with single leg exercises with lighter weights, like single leg squats and these: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=64, though I don’t think she’s lifting her hips enough. :)

HEAB December 14, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Shauna,
Can I just come over and workout at your house? You can show me how to BodyFlow. :)

Hayley December 14, 2010 at 2:19 pm

That picture of you with the workout dvd’s is so cute! :) I’m a cardio junkie when it comes to at-home workouts. Since I have full control of the TV and I tape my favorite shows upstairs I usually run or elliptical while catching up on the biggest loser.

Anna December 14, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I love workout DVDs! They are my go-to workout, so convenient. =)

Sandy December 14, 2010 at 6:13 pm

My husband thinks we get a DVD shipment of the week from Amazon. I try to do 35 min. of Denise Austin (I know, groan) with upper, legs and abs segments 3X per week and throw in some pilates and yoga. I have a new yoga DVD from Exercise TV that I am liking right now. I think it is Fitness Yoga. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a kettlebell DVD that teaches proper form? I would love to try that but don’t want to get a bad instructor.

I also go to Jazzercise 4 X a week and walk 4 miles every day. Yes even in the 10 degree weather this morning.

HEAB December 14, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Sandy,
I’m not sure about proper kettlebell instruction, you might find some good videos on YouTube. 4 miles in 10 degrees? I’m impressed! ;)

Paige @ Running Around Normal December 15, 2010 at 6:54 am

Summer sounds like a pretty good sleeper! What a doll.
Hey if you gotta be up at 3 am, might as well have some yummy snacks!

amber@SAHM's musings December 15, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Hey Heather, I know how it feels to want to get back to feeling normal and moving after having a baby. My youngest is 2 and I still have to get creative at times. I blogged about a circuit I developed to do in my house, particularly a small space in my living room, while my daughter plays or watches a show. It’s win win! I use hand weights, a big exercise ball and my own body weight.

Have fun!

Mandy December 17, 2010 at 8:41 am

YogaGlo.com! Cheap, great variety, constant new classes and archives of past classes. I swear by it. xo

HEAB December 17, 2010 at 11:49 am

Cool – thanks Mandy. I’ll check it out!

{ 1 trackback }