Macafied Chocolate

by HEAB on December 16, 2010

I read an email from reader MJ at 4:15 this morning regarding her HEABified blended dairy dessert…

bdd.JPG

Roasted butternut squash blended with Greek yogurt, served in the waning pumpkin butter jar and topped with whipped cream.

I went back to bed dreaming of MJ’s lovely concoction and decided to make something similar for breakfast. However, I had no squash, yogurt, or pumpkin butter…BUT, I did have heavy whipping cream…

So, I ended up making Alex’s grain free bitter chocolate muffins (Alex, I’m obsessed) and topped them with whipped cream. How I love my Aerolatte frother! This breakfast did not contain one drop of sugar or artificial sweetener, and yet it tasted so decadent. My belly was so happy. That being said, MJ, I really want to make your blended squash soon!

Speaking of chocolate, a few weeks ago, I received some MacaSure Chocolate in the mail.

MacaSure is made with 70% cocoa, organic dark chocolate, and 4000mg of premium organic maca. When CD and I started talking babies, I began taking Maca powder for it’s hormone balancing properties, but it’s also been found to nourish and rejuvenate exhausted adrenal glands as well as increase energy, reduce stress and the impact stress has on the body, control cortisol levels, promote restful sleep, improve immunity, and enhance mental clarity. Maca is also renowned for its libido-enhancing properties. All of that in wrapped up in a delicious chocolate bar? Yes please. :)

After the chocolate arrived, I wanted to make sure maca was okay for nursing mothers. Turns out there was some conflicting info on whether is was safe or not. So, in a very sad moment, I decided to err on the side of caution and not eat the chocolate. CD ate one bar, and I gave the other to our friend Tonya. Tonya and CD run together, and I figured she could use some maca in her life. Tonya loved the bar and said it was really smooth with just a hint of maca taste (which I always thought tasted kind of life cinnamon) and sweetened just enough to not be too bitter. I will not share Chris’s review as it involved his libido. Let’s just say he liked it. ;)

MacaSure chocolate is available at Whole Foods and other health food stores, and I hope to try it someday as I’m dying to make these cookies.

Are you a fan of maca? I used to use it in powder form – it’s great in smoothies!

Edited to Add: Pei Wei Asian Diner is hosting a holiday food drive this week on December 15 and 16. Customers may bring a non-perishable food item to their local Pei Wei store and receive 25% off an entrée of their choice. While this food drive is a nationwide effort, each store’s food items will be donated to a local food bank.

Gina December 16, 2010 at 11:36 am

Talk about a magical chocolate bar! I need one!

Christin@purplebirdblog December 16, 2010 at 11:40 am

LMAO at your libido comment! Woo woooooooooo! ;)

rebecca lustig December 16, 2010 at 11:42 am

wow wow wow. those look SO decadent and rich. i actually love the color.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 16, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I noticed the muffins the first time you made them, obvi.

But this time…omg you have somehow taken them to new drool-worthy levels!!!!! WOW!!!!! Delish..can i have a few?! YUM!

Maca. Interesting that Chris liked them, ahem. lol at the libido reference.

I would say that as a nursing mom, the maca would have been fine. It’s considered an adaptagen from the reading I have done on it. That it adapts to suit the needs of the body of the person who ingests it. And although you say that Chris did “feel” the effects, usually in these types of bars and applications, the “dose” is so low it wouldnt be considered a therapeutic dose, i.e. enough to really effect anything one way or the other. Of course, just musing out loud here, but I shall stop now.

And tell you once again, great job on the muffies! :)

HEAB December 16, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Averie,
I almost emailed you to ask you about the maca, but then I figured I’d already asked you about a gazillion questions, and I know you’re on vacation. Next time, I’ll eat the chocolate! ;)

Ellen December 16, 2010 at 12:32 pm

mmm maca and chocolate go together so well. i make a pseudo chocolate malt with almond milk, cocoa, maca, stevia, etc. (i can’t eat regular malt because of the gluten) and it is really good. i need to eat more of it for all the reasons you listed!

HEAB December 16, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Ellen,
I’ve made a similar smoothie – so good as I used to (well I guess I still do) love a good malt! :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood December 16, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I just recently started to incorporate maca powder into my Green Monster Smoothies. Sooo good! I don’t put a lot, obviously, but you can definitely tell the difference in your energy levels and whatnot if you do put it in and when you don’t. Either way, I’m sad that you can’t have maca but that’s okay – I’ll have more for the both of us ;)

HEAB December 16, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Thanks Sylvia. :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} December 16, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Wow those chocolate muffins look amazing. I just had lunch but I wish I had one right now!!

Marina December 16, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I could use some of that! I need to get my hormones balanced, after the bc pill, and loss of weight…
maybe it could do me some well :)

HEAB December 16, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Marina,
I think maca might really help you. Definitely worth a try!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 16, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Haha, I think I will keep it away from Tony then if it has that kind of effect! I think that would be a bit overkill! Loved the description of your breakfast! It looks and sounds delicious!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 16, 2010 at 1:24 pm

that is one serious chocolate bar!!

MJ December 16, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Big thumbs up! Maybe next week it will be almond butter + Alex’s muffin + greek yogurt. I’m sure going to try some Maca in my Vitamix. :)

HEAB December 16, 2010 at 8:07 pm

MJ,
Mmm – yes! :)

Vanessa December 16, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Hi Heather!!

Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl, and for sticking with nursing. My son is two, and nursing was pretty challenging in the beginning. Once he got a little bigger, it became easier and I nursed him until he turned one. I actually wanted to comment on your previous post about getting back in shape. Have you checked to see if there is a Stroller Strides franchise in your area? The classes are a mix of power walking with strengthening exercises at different stations (we use resistance bands). They are usually held at an outdoor park, and it is a nice way to meet some new moms. And the best part is you bring your baby!

HEAB December 16, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Vanessa,
Hi, and thanks for the encouragement. I would love to nurse Summer for a year, and I think it’s great you have done so with your son. I think we do have some kind of Stroller Striders group here in Nashville. I’ll look into it. I know we have mommy & me yoga classes and a baby-wearing group that hikes. Can’t wait to join the when the weather warms up!

Vanessa December 16, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Mommy and me yoga sounds awesome!! There are so many great options for moms who want to stay healthy, but aren’t ready to put their little one in a nursery or with a babysitter. You are a going to be a fabulous and fit mama!!!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) December 16, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Wow! You are getting mileage out of that frother! I linked to one of your frother posts at my blog yesterday. Much love for the aerolatte!
As for those muffins, they look like flourless chocolate lava cake, a big favorite of mine. Naturally, I must try them. ASAP! :)

Namaste Gurl December 16, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Somehow you ALWAYS do the trick in making me want to eat and create what you’ve made. You do well at that, miss HEAB :-)
Sadly, never had any maca in my life. It’s one superfood I’ve never bought and I hear so much about. I know what I’m telling Santa to stuff my stocking with…. :)

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 16, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I saw that chocolate at TJ’s today. I was going to buy it, but I didn’t!

HEAB December 16, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Katy,
Go back. ;)

Ellen @ fatgirlwearingthin December 16, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Heather, anytime you mention chocolate (and supply pictures to boot) I am on top of this blog faster than lightning. I have an aerolatte as well and I don’t even have to go to Starbucks anymore – I make whatever I want right at home! Best invention in a long time – and affordable!

HEAB December 16, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Ellen,
I know – one of my favorite (not to mention cheapest) kitchen appliance. Love my frother…especially when chocolate is involved. :)

lindsey @ Enjoying Healthy Foods December 16, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Looks wonderful!!! How does Heablet do with the chocolate???

HEAB December 16, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Lindsey,
I have noticed no problems with the chocolate. Broccoli however was BAD. No more for me!

Katie December 16, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I am sure I would love that chocolate bar. I can’t really think of chocolate that I didn’t like.

I made those muffins after the last time you posted them, and yeah. I can see why you are addicted!

Dawn Hutchins December 16, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Love that idea of the butternut squash with greek yogurt in a leftover pumpkin butter jar!

melissa @ the delicate place December 16, 2010 at 3:40 pm

how much maca were you taking a day. i found that i could only tolerate about 1/2tsp

HEAB December 16, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Melissa,
2 TBSP at the most.

grocery goddess jen December 16, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Heather, you totally turned me onto the grain free bitter chocolate cakes…I made one the other night and may have to do the same tonight!

Also, wow, that Maca sounds pretty powerful!

HEAB December 17, 2010 at 2:02 am

Jen,
I love that cake. So simple, and I love adding a dark chocolate bar to the top. You should try it with some whipped cream! :)

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun December 16, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Wow your breakfast looks like a dessert! SO decadent looking!

HEAB December 17, 2010 at 2:01 am

Erika,
Those are the best kind of breakfasts. ;)

Kristine December 16, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I have been using maca most days lately, but I have to say… on its own, it smells quite bad. It seems to mix in and taste great in anything, though.

Your pics of breakfast are mouthwatering :)

HEAB December 17, 2010 at 2:00 am

Kristine,
I agree – maca does smell kind of funky, but I always liked the taste.

lifelivedfully December 16, 2010 at 5:07 pm

all i gots to say is this: Yummy dark chocolate and a healthy sex life??!! Who could ask for more!!?
never tried maca,heather,but all in the name of deliciousness I am going to make a pit stop by Whole foods. tonight.

Monica December 16, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Well my Christmas list just grew by two. Aerolatte frother, yes please. MacaSure, YES please!

Pure2raw Twins December 16, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I still enjoy maca but I am not as obsessed with it as I used to be ;) No real reason just cut back on how much of it I was consuming. I still enjoy it from time to time. And I have tried that chocolate bar and it was good!

Dea December 16, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I didn’t know that about Maca, I have some and I should use it more. We’re getting ready for #3 and it’s a process, this will help! YAY!

HEAB December 17, 2010 at 1:59 am

Dea,
Best of luck to you. Definitely try some maca! :)

Paige @ The Gravy Boat December 16, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I’ve often used maca in my smoothies, but I’ve never seen it in chocolate before! I might have to give it a try…

Kimberly December 16, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I really need to try Maca again. I have a bag and just never think of using it. Would be great if it helps with energy etc.! Hope you are doing well :)
XOXO

Annie@stronghealthyfit December 16, 2010 at 9:00 pm

So funny. I don’t think I’ve tried maca before!

Emily Elizabeth December 16, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I love maca! I add it to smoothies as well. I’ve also added it to homemade energy bars and puddings. I am definitely going to have to try making a chocolate bar out of it. Yum!

Baking 'n' Books December 16, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I’ve read about Maca before on Jenna’s blog when she used to write about it. I’ve never tried it. The price at the Health Food Store scared me off ;) .

LOL – you had none of the ingredients for the craving! Your creation was completely the opposite :) But I LOVE it! I have to try that chocolate dessert – isn’t Alex a creative little genius?

I finished your Kermit muffins in a night…;) (or as I called them – my Green Grinch-y Muffins – I have to stick with a Holiday theme y’know! :) )

Baking 'n' Books December 16, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Oh and I do that all the time with yogurt and pumpkin – mix it together and then dollop it with almond butter, apple butter, berries and chocolate chips…y’know – for the antioxidants ;)

A Teenage Gourmet December 16, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Rumor has it that today is “National Chocolate-Covered Anything Day!” Way to celebrate, Heather. :)

HEAB December 17, 2010 at 1:58 am

Sami,
Really? Well, so glad I didn’t miss out on that one. :)

Natalia - a side of simple December 17, 2010 at 10:18 am

Recreating Alex’s chocolate cake…NOW
ps. The last picture in your previous post of Summer? No words.

Meagan December 17, 2010 at 11:26 am

We would get along so well. I love no sugar unsweetened chocolate!

HEAB December 17, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Meagan,
Yes, we would. :)

A Teenage Gourmet December 17, 2010 at 11:45 am

Heather, how do you get your comments to automatically reply as an e-mail? I really like the personal answers, and I’d like to do the same with my blog.

HEAB December 17, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Sami,
I use a plug-in for Wordpress blogs called Comment Reply Notification, but when I used to have a free Wordpress blog, I would Bcc the commenter when I responded to their email. That way, my response would go to both my blog and the commenter. :)

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble December 17, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I’ve never tried Maca but think I need too! Plus Maca in dark chocolate sounds great!

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 17, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Omg!!! His libido!!!! I’m drying!!!!
ARGH!! I MEANT DYING!!!! What the !?!?!?!?!?!??!

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 4:04 am

Melissa,
Hehe – too funny. ;)

Erin W. December 19, 2010 at 12:35 am

Am I the only person out there who HATES the taste of maca? Seriously, I want to like it – but whenever I put it in my smoothies I hate the taste. Maybe 1 tsp is too much for me? I’ll have to try 1/2 tsp. and see if that is any better…..

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 12:39 am

Erin,
Nah, there are other maca haters out there. You’re not alone. ;)

{ 2 trackbacks }