Goodbye Chocolate

by HEAB on December 18, 2010

I’m wondering if my chocolate consumption is bothering Summer. I know all babies have gas, but sometimes Summer’s seems really painful, and I feel so bad for her. Many breastfeeding mamas have had to give up chocolate, and therefore, I’ve decided to give up breastfeeding. Hehe – JOKING! Broccoli definitely upsets Summer’s stomach, and I’m really hoping I don’t have to say the same for chocolate. I’m going to give it up for a few days to see if it helps. It may just by typical baby gas, but I have nothing to compare it to. We shall see.

That means no more grain-free chocolate bitter cake

or cocoa roasted sweet potatoes...

or chocolate chip pancakes

Oh Almond Joy Oatmeal, I’ll miss you…

& you too chocolate coconut butter

And I can’t even think about life without my unsweetened Baker’s chocolate squares…

Hopefully, it’s not the chocolate, but I want to make sure. Life without chocolate is going to be a challenge, but Summer is worth it.

That being said, please send carob chips. Thank you. :)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) December 18, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Oh my word. Obviously, my fingers are crossed that this is NOT the culprit. Good luck with the challenge.

Amalfi Girl (Eat, Run, Have Fun!) December 19, 2010 at 7:46 am

Indeed. I can’t imagine life without chocolate…

Lauren December 18, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Hey! Congrats on your little angel, mine was born on Nov 24th! :) I am nursing as well, and yes, gas has been an issue. We have been giving her homeopathic gripe water when it’s really bad. I have been avoiding chocolate too, but mostly because I read the caffeine can keep them up.. not sure if this is true, but I’m scared to find out! ;) A little chocolate here and there doesn’t seem to effect her though. Broccoli, now that’s another story! LOL! Enjoy your holidays with your new little one! :)

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Congrats Lauren! I never found that chocolate kept Summer awake, and I’m hoping it’s not the culprit of her gas. Good to know I’m not the only one with a tooter. ;) Hope the nursing is going well and happy holidays!

jen December 18, 2010 at 2:51 pm

You could always give her a probiotic. A bit of the powder on your nips.

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Jen, really? Good to know – thanks!

fartygirl December 18, 2010 at 2:53 pm

One of my favorite non-chocolate snacks is carob mixed in tahini and a little almond milk. It’s super yummy. Give it a try! :)

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Farty,
That sounds heavenly. I do love carob.

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 18, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Awww, hopefully it isn’t chocolate! But if it is, I’ll send you come carob chips to hold you over! :)

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Aww, thanks Katy. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 18, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Oh Heather, I am so sorry to hear you feel that it’s chocolate that’s bothering her!

In my lactation educator opinion, it’s probably the formula more so than the chocolate that is the culprit (many moms have to go thru MANY different types and brands before they find one that works) but you are the mom, you have the intuition, you are with precious Summer day and night, and if you think it’s the chocolate, then by all means, sad as it is, refrain for a bit.

You could make homemade tummy tonic, i.e. use fennel, ginger, boil with water, strain and give an eyedropper full. Or, google Gripe Water. I used the Baby Bliss brand w/ Skylar but there are many more. I found that really helped. I was exclusively nursing and sometimes who knows what I ate, but the Gripe Water is good in a pinch :)

And all the food here…looks awesome!

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Averie,
I sure hope it’s the formula. We’ve had much better luck with Similac. Tried Earth’s Best, but she kept spitting it up. So hoping we don’t have to give it to her forever. I’ve heard about the Gripe Water. Will invest in some soon. Thx!

Ida December 18, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Well at least you’ll have more room for almond butter now. I hope Summer feels better- I’m sure having an unhappy baby is stressful.

Monica December 18, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Oh life without chocolate for too long would be cruel! Hopefully you enjoy carob as well – I think it makes a nice addition to most things. :)

Hope you ate something chocolate-y and delicious before saying goodbye to chocolate for a few days.

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Monica,
Trust me, been eating lots of chocolate lately – ha, I think that’s the problem. Thank goodness I love carob!

Ginny O. December 18, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Good luck with giving up chocolate, but it’s for an excellent reason!
I ended up having to give my daughter Riopan with each bottle or before each feeding – it helped a lot.

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Thanks Ginny – good to know.

Healthy Chocoholic December 18, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Hope everything works itself out soon!!!!!!!

jenny December 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm

haha! i have been living off of a substancial amount of carob chips in the last little while.

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Jenny,
Oh my gosh, I love carob chips but swore myself off from them after a bulk online order a few years ago. Let’s just say they were stashed all over my kitchen, and I could not stop eating them. Those little suckers are so addicting!

Baking 'n' Books December 18, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Maybe just without it for a while would help? It doesn’t have to mean forever right? Egads! :) I’m sure this will be very creative-inducing though if nothing else!

What’s the deal with carob?

Natalie December 18, 2010 at 3:33 pm

haha I’d say siyanora nursing!!!

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Natalie,
Don’t think I wasn’t tempted. ;)

Jill December 18, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Heather, seriously-totally admire your selflessness about these matters when it comes to Summer!! Will completely keep my fingers crossed that it’s *not* chocolate. On the positive side, whenever I see you next, I should have some new goodies (granola and a cranberry walnut bread) that are chocolate free for you to try :-) Made the granola last night as part of Christmas packages for my old roommates and I think it turned out well. The only sweetener in it is maple syrup, so I think it’s right up your alley!

Also, re: the butterscotch banana bread-will have to try to figure out how to do that. Maybe some sort of butterscotch drizzle on top? I actually think you could make some sort of fudge with the chips + coconut milk. Hope this cheered you up a little about a few days sans chocolate.

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Jill,
Yes, right up my alley for sure. Can’t wait to taste test, and I think your butterscotch fudge idea sounds perfect! I could so go to town on some of that right now. :)

Namaste Gurl December 18, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Oh sweet Heather, I’m so sorry. But what a nice, compassionate mama you are to do such a thing for your little one. I mean giving up chocolate is BIG and I know how much you love it. At least you still have coconut though :-)

Have a lovely day. Sending you lots of oatbran, coconut and nut butter :-)
Em

Lauren at KeepItSweet December 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm

i hope for your sake it isn’t the chocolate!

Mandy A December 18, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Heather, I hope you find something to help little Summer out! I wish I had some wise words of wisdom to share with you! We had the WORST time with Maddie for that. I did try Gripe water once – and it did seem to give some relief. I had given up chocolate, dairy and peanut butter for quite some time. Maddie just had a VERY touchy tummy… I nursed her until she was 13 months old… with some formula to help, too.

Sending you lots of carob love :) Can’t wait to see the yummy creations you make with that!

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Thanks Mandy. I’m going to try the gripe water. Hopefully that will help…and hopefully, it’s NOT the chocolate.

Beth @ To the Fullest December 18, 2010 at 3:45 pm

That’s a LOT of Ghiardelli!!

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Beth, hehe, I know. CD buys in bulk when he finds his favorite dark chocolate on sale. You should see the stash of Lindt we currently have in our cabinet. ;)

Krystina (Basil & Wine) December 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Don’t worry Heather, I eat enough chocolate for the both of us.

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Thanks Krystina. :)

Critty/Orme December 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Hey Heather

just letting you know that Virginia found out that the only time Sloan would spit up was when Virginia would eat chocolate which she was eating a lot of it at first…she has stopped eating it & said it helped Sloan when nursing. SAD to say but I think it might help some?! Of course a lil here & there doesn’t seem bad in my opinion but you will figure it out ;) See ya tomorrow & I will mark chocolate off the list for dinner!
Lv
Critty

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Thanks Critty – good to know. Well actually, kind of sucks but thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to see you tomorrow! :)

Meg December 18, 2010 at 3:59 pm

You got this, HEAB ;)

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 18, 2010 at 4:03 pm

How funny- as I sat down to read this post I was munching on some dark chocolate chips! When you joked about giving up breastfeeding I nearly choked! Haha! You’re so hilarious!!

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Melissa,
Please enjoy lots of chocolate for me! :)

Emily December 18, 2010 at 4:25 pm

No chocolate, it’s so sad :( Especially after having to look at all the delicious ways you enjoy it! What’s best for Summer is definitely best for you though..you’ll get through :)

Sarah R December 18, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Eeepp! I’m crossing my fingers that it’s not the chocolate. I’m not sure what I would do!

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse December 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm

No chocolate AND no broccoli?! Eek! Summer can read this one day and realise how much you went through to make her happier!
Seriously though, good for you and hopefully it’s not for too long :-)

Kelly December 18, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Oh no….you not having chocolate is like having pancakes without syrup! I really hope that isn’t the problem!

Smriti December 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Halo there!!
Best is Banana with almond butter mixed with honey-Amazing!!!! But you could also try drinking coconut water blended with pineapple before eating chocolate.Or try taking in digestive enzyme capsule .

Hope this helps,and i hope chocolate is not the culprit!! Have a great day!!

-Smriti

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Thanks Smriti, me too!

polly December 18, 2010 at 4:59 pm

oh sweetie!!

I hope it’s not chocolate. Let’s PRAY. hehe. :D I don’t think God minds if we pray for that, do you? ;)

Did you know I found out I was allergic to chocolate in 4th grade? I was a peanut butter and chocolate LOVAH… Hershey bars, hershey’s kisses, Whatchamacalit candy bars, Nestles Crunch bars… oh my I was a junk food lovin’ kiddo. Oh yes. My fave being mint chocolate chip ice cream cones after church on Sunday. :P Anyways… I have survived for almost 30 years without it, crazy huh? BUT… we are praying you can enjoy SOON! :) Until then, put some coconut butter in the fridge for a pretend “white chocolate” bar. so yummy. It’s Polly-chocolate. :D

LURVE YOU! Just made some white chicken chili to take to D’s moms tomorrow for a family Christmas. My house smells of onion and garlic. OH heanens, girl YUCK! I do love that soup, the only thing I believe with those evil ingredients that I make and like. I puree’d the heck out of those suckers in the VItamix. phew. I told D if he wants a smooch tonight he CANNOT taste test the soup! hehehehe

Okay, gotta skoot. We’re headed to church, then Jammies! XOXO
Abbi sends hugs to Summer!

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Polly,
I totally thought of you when I decided to go without chocolate – I thought Polly does it all the time! Surely it’s not too bad. ;)
Lurve you too – hope you enjoyed church!

Melissa Cline December 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm

My sister found chocolate was about the only thing that bothered her little guy. I think my dude was sensitive to cow milk (I drank huge glasses of it every day–not anymore!). Even if it’s a favorite food, the good news is (has been for us and most people we know anyway) you’ll be able to add it back eventually, sometime after 6-8 months.

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Melissa,
Good to know. I guess I can live without chocolate until this summer. ;)

Elle December 18, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Ah, so sorry to hear it. I had to give up chocolate for a few months quite a while ago. I swear, I found it actually wasn’t that bad a sacrifice once I got used to it. And I was really into chocolate.

For some reason, I found that if I ate Reese’s pieces I felt like it scratched part of my non-fruity-sweets itch. Perhaps this is the beginning of a romance with sweet almond butter ball recipes?

Good luck with Summer’s gas!

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Elle,
Sweet almond butter balls…I like the sound of that. ;)

Ana December 18, 2010 at 5:54 pm

That’s what being a mom is Heather, and you are an awesome Mother!!!
I also didn’t eat chocolate when I was nursing, and also on the last few months of pregnancy (because every time I did Matheus would have a party inside my belly!). I also cut broccoli and other cruciferous veggies (cauliflower, cabbage, and brussel sprouts come to mind). Coffee also was something I would drink (either pregnant and breastfeeding). And the one thing I had to cut because I noticed really bothered Matheus was beans.
I not sure any of the foods was a culprit or not. We did supplement (just like you are doing) with formula for a while, and he also did well with Similac (the others he would spit or throw up) – not sure if the formula was culprit either.
All I know is that as soon as he turned 4 months old the belly aches/gas magically disappeared. Not kidding friend, it was magic, both me and my husband were impressed. From 1 month until the 4th Matheus would wake up almost every night around midnight and cry until 1am. I didn’t know what to do, this happened until he turned 4 months, then went away. Like nothing had happened before, all his pains were gone.
It is all a matter of her GI tract to get used to the world, to the new feeding method, the milk, the formula, for her to develop her intestinal flora and her body to adjust. And until then we try to do our best to prevent it or to find relief for their pain as best as we can.
You are doing an awesome job Heather! Just hang in there friend, like all things in life, this phase also will pass!

Ana December 18, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I mean coffee was something I “wouldn’t” drink.

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Ana,
Thanks so much. I’ve been off coffee for a while. Really miss it, and I do drink decaf sometimes. Seems like a lot of women have to give up chocolate and broccoli. I also eat Brussels all the time…hmm, wonder if that’s bothering her.

So crazy how it all cleared up right at 4 months. I’ve had so many tell me that the shifts with breast feeding and sleeping can literally happen overnight. One day they wake up 2 or 3 times during then night, and then all of sudden they’re sleeping for 6 hours at a time. For the past 2 nights, Summer has only woken up at once…hope it lasts. :)

Allie (Nutty FlexitALLIEan) December 18, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Hey Heather-
I did my OBGYN rotation a few months ago and my pediatrics rotation and newborn nursery – as a medical student we learned that all babies have gas, and it may look like they’re in pain but it’s typically normal. If Summer’s stomach feels hard and/or her bm’s are hard- then I’d check with the doctor. If she seems constipated- try an oz of pear or prune juice 1x a day. I don’t think the foods you eat will affect your breast milk composition that much, so don’t worry! Also make sure you are supplementing w/ polyvisol Vitamin D and/or iron b/c breastfeeding is awesome but babies get vitamin D and iron deficient if they aren’t supplemented. Good luck!

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Allie,
Good to know – her bm’s are definitely not hard. So, that’s good, and I am taking both iron and vitamin D3 everyday. My iron levels were low, and I feel so much better now that I’m supplementing. Bet it’s helping Summer as well. :)

BroccoliHut December 18, 2010 at 6:29 pm

How tragic–life without broccoli AND chocolate?! I kid, of course–as others have said, your sacrifice is for a very good, adorable reason named Summer. Bring on the carob!

Alison December 18, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Hopefully an LC has mentioned this or you’ve read it in a book – but the most likely culprit for digestive trouble with wee ones is dairy. (Next in line are soy, eggs, peanuts, fish, wheat, nuts, corn, citrus fruits and tomatoes.)

If you do an elimination diet to figure it out, best to do only one or two foods at a time so you can more easily rule it out. And know that it takes two weeks for the cow’s milk proteins to get out of your body, so don’t necessarily rule that out if you don’t see changes right away. Cow’s milk is the most common source of food sensitivity though!

Do you have a La Leche League group in your area? LLL is a non-profit breastfeeding support group for nursing and pregnant mom’s and there is very likely a chapter that meets near you.

A great place to meet a bunch of like minded mama’s and a place to interact with other women who are going through all the same stuff and have been there, done that!

So happy to read that you guys are figuring it out! The early weeks and months are hard no matter how you feed your baby! (And breastfeeding makes things SO MUCH EASIER down the road!) Keep going mama, you’re doing a great job!

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Thanks so much Alison. I don’t do much dairy these days, besides butter and heavy cream. Ice-cream has been banned from the house, and I did notice Summer stopped spitting up when I stopped eating it. It also helped when we switched the formula that we’re using to supplement. I eat lots of eggs and peanuts too. Gosh, who knows what the problem is, but I’m going to try and figure it out.

And yes, we do have a La Leche League here. I have yet to contact them as I’ve been working with an LC that comes to our house, but it would be nice to meet other like minded mamas. Thanks for the suggestion.

Heather December 18, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Oh man! I so feel you. I was 100% chocolate free from July 2009 – June 2010 because of an apparent intolerance. It was dreadful. I was a dark chocolate at every meal kind of gal and initially LOATHED carob. I cried when I made the decision to set down the chocolate. Literally cried.

And I cried even more when I realized I could eat it in moderate again. :)

(Ironically I wound up loving on carob last winter and then developed a corn allergy. So, I think the lesson is that my body NEEDS extreme moderation in terms of food.)

Whatever the case, I wish you strength and courage in your chocolate-free endeavors! Happiness IS possible without chocolate! It is it is it is! (Much to my prior great disbelief.)

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Thanks Heather – very encouraging. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog December 18, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Um, yeah, I am JEALOUS of your stash of dark chocolate! And I’m praying that this all works itself out and you can eat chocolate again soon! The thing you do for that little angel are so inspirational!

Corey @ the runners cookie December 18, 2010 at 7:32 pm

:) A very worthwhile sacrifice. There could be much more difficult things to give up, and I’m sure you will have a great appreciation for chocolate after you stop breast feeding!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 18, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Bakers chocolate always reminds me of you :) hopefully its not the chocolate!

Meagan December 18, 2010 at 8:18 pm

That will be hard, but way better for you in the long run!

Why not indulge in some orange cranberry muffins instead? Made with almond flour! http://mutritiousnuffins.blogspot.com/2010/12/grain-free-cranberry-orange-muffins.html

Halley(Blunder Construction) December 18, 2010 at 8:28 pm

I’m sorry that you have to cut your chocolate cord for the time being. But, know that it is only temporary and Summer could not possibly make it through puberty without increasing her chocolate consumption. Someday, I’m sure you’ll be able to enjoy it together! I recently had to give up nuts, so I feel your pain bidding farewell to beautiful meals.

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 12:30 am

Halley,
Nuts…that would be really hard for me. Hope you’re doing okay. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 18, 2010 at 8:46 pm

That would be horrible! I hope you don’t have to give up your chocolate!

vanillasugarblog December 18, 2010 at 9:06 pm

oh dear…good luck girlfriend.
i heard that upping your intake of magnesium reduces your cravings for chocolate. so….

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 12:23 am

Vanilla,
I’ve heard the same thing, but magnesium is not nearly as fun to eat as chocolate. :(

Moni'sMeals December 18, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Oh no! If chocolate is the problem at least it is only temp….
I just love your chocolate stash, I have a similiar one too!

Carly December 18, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I am sure others have suggested this bit the mylicon drops have worked wonders for my 3 month old. She is exclusively breastfed and was very gassy. We were giving her the drops or gripe water sporadically but the pediatrician said to administer after every single feeding and wow the difference was dramatic. We now give her gas drops religiously. They are safe and not absorbed by the baby just break up the big bubbles. I had fiddled with my diet and cut out diary but the drops do the trick no matter what. Still avoid broccoli and beans though just in case and I sure miss them! Good luck!

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Thanks Carly. Someone else mentioned he Mylicon. I will ask my pediatrician about it.

Alisa Fleming December 18, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Aw, you are such a good mama! Well, if it is chocolate, here’s to carob cravings!

Katie December 18, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Now that is love right there.

I just ate an unsweetened chocolate square for you.

HEAB December 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Thank you Katie, please eat another one. I’m craving chocolate!

Katie December 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Wow! No chocolate. That would be rough! At least there are carob chips! And, let’s hope it isn’t the chocolate and it’s just typical baby gas. And, it’s good that you are looking out for Summer and putting her first. What a nice mama. :)

Randi December 18, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Heather,

I didn’t realize that chocolate did that! I’m having gas troubles with my little one too right now. Thanks for mentioning a possible culprit!

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 12:25 am

Randi,
Hope chocolate isn’t the culprit…for the both of us!

STEPHANIE T December 18, 2010 at 11:48 pm

oh yeah, Mylicon works great! Also, the exercises(where you move their bent legs in circles and in a squat position) you can administer to you baby to help eliminate the gas. Tummy rubs for Summer might help too, they helped my daughter.

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 12:24 am

Thanks Stephanie T. Wasn’t familiar with the bent legs in circle exercise. Good to know. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) December 19, 2010 at 12:34 am

Awww, poor Summer! And poor mama if it’s chocolate! :( I had the worst colic when I was a baby, so my parents bought a book on it that advised giving a bit of brewer’s yeast in my bottle; my mom says it stopped it immediately. I don’t know much about it, but my parents were relieved, I guess!

michelle December 19, 2010 at 12:36 am

Not chocolate?? I had the same problem with the baby gas and after some trial and error I realize it was the formula. I switched 3 times until the farting stopped. Good luck!

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 12:38 am

Michelle,
Which formulas did you try? We’ve tried Earth’s Best and Similac.

michelle December 19, 2010 at 12:43 am

Similac was one and it didn’t work. Enfilac was brutal and I eventually went for the soy formula. Sorry I can’t remember the name of it but after trying 2 milk formulas I thought lactose intolerance might be the problem and it was. Fortunately after 6 months I was able to put her back on milk with no issues. Sometimes their little digestive systems just can’t tolerate the lactose.

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 5:06 am

Thanks for the info. Michelle. I hope it’s not a dairy issue. :(

Thetreadmilldiaries December 19, 2010 at 5:03 am

One of my friends had a similar issue while breastfeeding. She had to give up chocolate and dairy for a good while.

Katherine: Unemployed December 19, 2010 at 5:32 am

whoah major stash of those chocolate bars! I know chocolate has a bit of caffeine in it but I don’t know that the caffeine would be the root of the cause. It would have to be the caco somehow. [[not a big deal that I'm in my early twenties and a million miles away from getting a boy friend but still read magazines like "Family Fun" and "Working Mother"...]]
PS: haven’t blogged in about six months but I’m back! Hope you remember me but don’t expect you to. Anyways, congrats on the baby!

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 8:46 am

Katherine,
Welcome back! :) Not sure what it is in the chocolate, but yeah, I don’t think it’s the caffeine.

Emily Elizabeth December 19, 2010 at 8:33 am

Oh my goodness! I really hope that Summer feels better and that you also can still have chocolate! It was recently suggested that I avoid coconut to see if it might be causing my digestive problems (since come to find out it is actually a tree nut). I lasted a day and a half. It’s so hard to give something like that up when you don’t know for sure it’s the problem!

A Teenage Gourmet December 19, 2010 at 8:43 am

You may kill me, but this post reminded me to “accidentally” drop a homemade Reese cup into my oat bran . . . :D

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 8:45 am

Sami!!!!! Grrr. Oh well, please enjoy a big bite of that melted chocolate goodness for me. :)

Susan December 19, 2010 at 8:56 am

Well I hope it’s not the chocolate! Either way, you win though. You get to eat chocolate again, or Summer feels better! Good luck!

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Susan,
That’s such a good way to look at the whole situation – thank you!

Erin @ Big Girl Feats December 19, 2010 at 9:42 am

I think I just found my Sunday breakfast! Chocolate chip pancakes here I come!

I hope things with out with you, Summer and Chocolate. If not, maybe you and Chocolate can have a long distance relationship while it visits me here in Rhode Island ;)

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Erin,
Please tell chocolate I said “Hi”. ;)

Danielle December 19, 2010 at 10:28 am

Oooh I hope it’s not the chocolate! As your daughter, shouldn’t she love it out of default? ;) For a more serious question: how would you describe carob? Since I have no real reason to avoid chocolate I’ve never tasted it myself.

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Danielle,
Carob has a very unique taste – it’s sweeter than cocoa powder. Someone once told me the thought it tasted like a Tootsie Roll. Not sure if I can say the same, but in my opinion, it’s really yummy. Carob chips are totally addicting!

melissa December 19, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Try Gripe Water. It worked for me with my 4 girls and it works on adults too! I would not have made it with out it. And relax; as hard as it is you are doing a great job.

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Melissa,
Yes, several others have recommended Gripe Water. Sending CD out for some today. Thanks! :)

Kate @ahealthypassion December 19, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Oh no I hope you dont have to give up chocolate that would be miserable! I hope summer is feeling better.

Susan December 19, 2010 at 3:14 pm

as a fellow massage therapist, have you tried massaging her belly? there is a whole gas/ colic routine for infants. check it out.

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Susan,
I rub it a little, but I’m sure more of a massage technique would probably help. I’m going to Google more info. Thanks for the suggestion!

Natalie December 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Haha this post was funny, but I am sorry you will have to live without! Chocolate totally caused my son to have bad gas and grunting, etc. I actually don’t do well with chocolate and very rarely have it myself! (It really affects my adrenal issues.) I hope you make it ok without!! :)

Nolita Morgan December 20, 2010 at 9:42 am

It’s been a while since we’ve dealt with a tooty baby but Mylicon was suggested to us back then (8 years ago) and that stuff was a Godsend! Hard to convey to a baby to just toot to get rid of the pain…I can’t imagine you having to give up chocolate! Our baby was adopted 16 days after we met with her birth mom (so I couldn’t even prep to breast feed) so she was formula fed. Poor Summer (and poor HEAB!) … hopefully everyone’s tummies are happy soon!

HEAB December 20, 2010 at 10:54 am

Thanks so much Nolita. My MIL went to Walgreens but they were out of both gripe water and Mylicon drops. Hoping to get some later this week. So cool you adopted. I think that’s awesome. :)

Hayley December 20, 2010 at 11:49 am

I’m starting to think that every baby goes through a period where they have really bad gas. I don’t know if it’s because their digestive systems haven’t fully developed, but every friend I’ve talked to who’ve had kids, my sister-in-law who has a 2-month old and a couple of friends with babies around Chloe’s age have all told me their babies have had bad gas. Chloe went through the same thing – at first I was going to try cutting all dairy out of my diet, but when she switched to being solely on formula I discovered she still had bad gas. Then at some point she just kind of grew out of it. When we tried other formulas (all Similac, different types, and also the Enfamil Lipil) Chloe always seemed to get an upset stomach. I don’t know if it’s because we switched her to something she wasn’t used to, but we always went back to Alumentum (the Similac hypoallergenic stuff). She still spits up (even my friends who solely nurse say their babies spit up) but again – I think it’s a normal thing they eventually grow out of. I’ll be curious to see if the chocolate thing works though! :)

P.S. – Chloe has that exact same outfit – the green and pink pants and matching top! I know that’s from a different post but I remember seeing it..he he!

Hayley December 20, 2010 at 11:51 am

I had to go back to add that Chloe is still VERY gassy…she can fart and belch like any beer-guzzling linebacker, but she doesn’t seem to get the really bad tummy pains. We tried Mylicon as well as something a friend recommended called Cocyntal. You can get that from Whole Foods and it’s little drops just like Mylicon. I think the Cocyntal actually worked better than Mylicon, but it never solved all problems or anything.

HEAB December 20, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Hayley,
I know – Summer is the same way. I can hear her farts across the room. Quite impressive. Thanks for the Cocyntal tip. My MIL went to pick up some gripe water for us, but Walgreens was out of both that and Mylicon. Will try and stop by Whole Foods…good excuse to pick up some carob chips.
P.S. Chloe and Summer have the best taste in clothes, no? ;)

Kayla December 20, 2010 at 12:08 pm

That’s quite a collection of chocolate you got there, Heather!! Haha, LOVE IT!

You’re a good momma to avoid chocolate for a while for your sweetie pie!

Natalia - a side of simple December 20, 2010 at 12:22 pm

If it is the case that chocolate is bothering Summer, I will sacrifice myself and make it my goal to consume enough chocolate for both of us. A heavy undertaking, I know, but I won’t let you down, Heather ;)

HEAB December 20, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Thanks Natalia. I appreciate it. :)

stephanie December 21, 2010 at 8:43 am

I am a new mom too… my son was born 10-6-10, and have been experimenting with what foods cause gassy/fussy times. I have been reading your blog for a few weeks and following your chocolates posts, and thinking, wow, she is lucky to be able to eat that much chocolate and not have a fussy baby because I have had to give up chocolate from week one. which is very hard, let me tell you :) my son is 11 weeks old and I am thinking every day that maybe I could try eating chocolate again and see what happens. aw, but i love my son too much right now to see what happens. I feel so guilty when he is miserable because of something I ate. I feel your pain…. good luck and merry christmas!

HEAB December 21, 2010 at 10:53 am

Stephanie, life without chocolate is a bit challenging, but like you, I cannot stand to see her miserable. That square of dark chocolate just isn’t worth it. Happy baby = Happy mama. :) Congrats on the birth of your son, and Merry Christmas to you as well!

Robin December 22, 2010 at 4:58 pm

oh now!! I wish you the best. That is also quite an impressive chocolate collection!

HEAB December 22, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Robin,
Yeah, CD buys in bulk whenever his favorite chocolate is on sale. You should our current collection of Lindt bars. ;)