Life Without Chocolate

by HEAB on December 19, 2010

So, my last bite of chocolate for the time being was some homemade banana bread from our friend Whitney

She made it with almond butter. Whitney, thank you. It was delicious – you know me well. :)

I always eat unsweetened chocolate in the afternoon whenever I get hungry as it’s my favorite snack. Needless to say, there were a lot of butterscotch oaties consumed yesterday…

Inspired by the yumminess of Whitney’s banana bread, I decided to HEABify this recipe for Caramel Banana Cornbread Pudding from Reader Carolyn, and it made a lovely warm breakfast on this cold winter morning.

First I made polenta (1 cup cornmeal mixed with 1 cup water. Add slowly to 2 cups boiling water plus pinch of salt. Return to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes) and then spooned the polenta over a layer of sliced bananas in a greased pie dish. I only had frozen bananas, but they worked.

Over the polenta went 1 cup HEABified coconut milk blended together with 2 eggs, 1 TBSP maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.

Bake for 50 minutes in a 325℉ oven, and voila…

Serve warm topped with more cinnamon.

Next time, I’m going to add fresh whipped cream. Mmmm.

Sorry, no pancakes today – Just wasn’t feeling it. Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday! I’m off to make some homemade laundry detergent. Bye. :)

Little Bookworm December 19, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Hope the no chocolate thing is going well! Love the Heabified version of that pudding, sounds great. Hope you have a fantastic Sunday!

Bridget December 19, 2010 at 4:32 pm

WOW that looks delicious :) Who needs pancakes when you can have that!!!

Whitney December 19, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Haha, I read your post about giving up chocolate right after I had sent the bread with Nick, and was like “Ohh man, she can’t even it!” So sorry about that! Glad you liked the piece you had though :)

I love polenta and your creation looks delicious!

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Whitney,
No worries – I got in a couple of pieces before my “no chocolate” adventures began. CD finished off the rest – we loved it. Thanks again! :)

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 19, 2010 at 4:40 pm

:( Sad day about the chocolate. Do I need to send you some carob chips now? Because I seriously will! You need something to hold you over!

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Katy,
You’re so sweet, but no I’m going to get some. Going to put in a request with my mom, and I know she won’t mind…she loves any excuse to stop by and see Summer. :)

Baking 'n' Books December 19, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Homemade detergent? Goodness, your on a roll. I had no idea that’s how you make polenta! I want to try it now.

I made some “S’mores” muffins but without marshmallows and you could substitute the chocolate chips easily if your looking for any alternatives :)

melissa @ the delicate place December 19, 2010 at 4:57 pm

i’ve had to back off my chocolate consumption lately as well (hey thanks stress/inflamed gut!) so i’ve been indulging in gingerbread-esque treats and am in love completely with blackstrap molasses. tummy soothing and tasty!

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Melissa,
I bought Blackstrap a while ago to help with my iron levels. I think I need to dig it out of the cabinet. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog December 19, 2010 at 5:38 pm

WHOAAAA! Very nice! I had no idea that was how you made polenta, so thank you for the tutorial! :)

Natalie December 19, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Oh my gosh – this looks divine!!!

Annie@stronghealthyfit December 19, 2010 at 5:44 pm

YUM! Reminds me of banana cream pie, one of my favorite desserts :-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 19, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Omg i almost JOKED to you last nite in that email i sent you about making homemade stuff….I was going to say, yeah and you can make your own laundry detergent, with which you can start cloth diapering…in between pumping, making other stuff, making your own food, re-vamping your dietary path on account of nursing, all while sleeping in no more than 3-4 hour stretches. Isn’t new motherhood QUITE the change of life?! :) No one is prepared I am convinced…but you….you, making your own laundry deterg, god you are good!!!!

Oh, and holding down your blog thru all of this…I did much of what you did, but my god, i didnt blog back then!!! holy crap, you are superwoman!
xoxo

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Averie,
The detergent is so easy – only took about 5 minutes. Easier than going to the store and much cheapa. We tried a cloth diaper – forgot to tell you. One of our friends loaned us her xs Bum Genius diapers. I think they were too small as after 2 hours, Summer’s back was soaking wet. :(

lindsay December 19, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Next time you post a heabified recipe, give me fair warning so I don’t drool all over my computer. ;)

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Lindsay,
Roger that. ;)

Meg December 19, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Changes, chaaaanges…unchocolatey changes. Don’t look so bad, Heather ;) You make living without chocolate look delish, actually.

Best of luck :)

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Thanks Meg. :)

Jenny at Rice n' Jeans December 19, 2010 at 6:25 pm

That is such a creative dish !

Lol, at first I thought your butterscotch cookies were some type of curry cookie. Don’t know how that would taste though.

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Jenny,
Ha – sounds like something I would probably make. ;)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 19, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I dont kno whow you come up with your recipes, but they always look awesome!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun December 19, 2010 at 7:43 pm

That looks delicious! Pancakes Shmancakes… :-P

Heather December 19, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I never knew polenta was that easy to make! I’ve always bought the pre-made kind-once I bought the instant…ICK! I do NOT recommend it! But I’ve never had polenta as a sweet dish before. Interesting! Good luck with the transition…hopefully your alternatives will keep you satisfied!

Pure2raw twins December 19, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Polenta looks great, I have never had it, but always wanted to try it.
Good luck with no chocolate, once the holiday is over I hope to cut out chocolate for some awhile too. I notice some problems from but cannot give it up yet!

HEAB December 20, 2010 at 6:24 am

Pure2Raw,
Best of luck to you as well…had to really talk myself into giving it up. Definitely NOT easy!

Amanda @ BakingWithoutABox December 19, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Best of luck with “no chocolate” !! Wishing you willpower galore!

Marianne in Auburn December 19, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Hope the no chocolate will help ya out with Summer tummy troubles. Just letting you know that it is possible to survive without chocolate….but not always fun! I gave up all caffeine a year and a half ago which included chocolate (cardiologist doctor’s orders). I eat the heck out of some carob (meaning every freaking day). The Sunspire unsweetened carob is the best to me and if you can find unsweetened carob covered raisins (whole foods bulk bins!!) I highly recommend them. Unfortunately, nobody makes carob bars so I keep bags of carob chips at all time (I have sent requests to companies though). And I sure do miss hot cocoa in the winter. Hot carob just isn’t the same!

And I still owe you some Auburn baby gear so if we win the national championship I’ll send the little Heablet an Auburn souvenir!

HEAB December 20, 2010 at 6:19 am

Marianne,
Sounds like a deal, and as far as carob bars go, I used to make my own. Just melt the carob chips, cool in a parchment lined dish in fridge, and then cut or break apart into bars. Very addicting, and you can add anything to them – nuts, coconut, etc. War Eagle!

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 19, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Whitney’s banana bread looks delicious! :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats December 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm

I did no chocolate for a month last year (to see if it would clear up some of my own tummy troubles) and it was hard but doable. I dont know if you read Book of Yum but she had a whole anti-allergenic diet plan when she was breast feeding her daughter that seemed to really help.

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Valerie,
No, I’m not familiar with Book of Yum, but I will check it out – thanks!

Healthy Choc December 19, 2010 at 11:08 pm

That pudding looks delicious! almost as yummy as chocolate!!! Hang in there!
And by the way, I’ve never made my own detergent. How do you do it?

HEAB December 19, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Healthy Choc,
It’s super easy. I used the recipe in this post: http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/2010/05/on-the-laundry-line.html. Stir it all together and then process it in the food processor to get it all mixed really well. It works great!

michelle December 20, 2010 at 1:34 am

I canNOT wait to try this.

carlee December 20, 2010 at 2:08 am

Yummy!!

Amalfi Girl (Eat, Run, Have Fun!) December 20, 2010 at 8:02 am

That recipe looks wonderful! Just remember, Reeces PB chips are not chocolate, so eat with abandon. ;)

HEAB December 20, 2010 at 10:58 am

Amalfi Girl,
Haha – you’re so right. I need to go to the grocery store! ;)

Ozlem December 20, 2010 at 8:22 am

Ohhh chocolatte?? Sorry to hear that. Lately I have been eating this as breakfast and keep meaning to tell you all about it because I feel like you were the inspiration – toasted sesame seed bagel (toasted well to make it nice and crunchy) and top with 1/2 ripe avocado and smoked salmon. Amazing!! Who needs cream cheese when you have avocado??

Try it!! Enjoy .

HEAB December 20, 2010 at 10:57 am

Ozlen,
I agree, and I love my bagels all toasted and crispy. Only way to eat them! :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal December 20, 2010 at 8:24 am

That looks so good!! I love bread pudding and I’m sure I’d love this variety!!

Lisa December 20, 2010 at 11:11 am

One of my sons is allergic to chocolate. I couldn’t imagine not having it. :( What sacrifices we make for our kids. Good for you for giving it up. I know some people substitute with carob, but aside from how it looks, I don’t think it tastes anything like chocolate.

Matt December 20, 2010 at 11:42 am

I cannot imagine life without chocolate…

Katherine: Unemployed December 20, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Love bananas! that looks so good

Marina December 20, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I love polenta, I used to eat warm polenta, with sprinkled sugar and cold milk poured over it. Yum.
Your breakfast looks awesome, I would add some nut butter on top, maybe it would go well!

HEAB December 20, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Marina,
No question about that – nut butter would make it even better! That as well as some vanilla bean ice-cream. ;)

Beth @ DiningAndDishing December 20, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Life without chocolate sounds tragic!! You are such a selfless Mum :) . I hope it makes little Summer feel better! :)

Namaste Gurl December 20, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I gotta give it to you– you come up with the most creative, thrifty, yet over the top yummy concoctions. Thats why I love you, Heather :-)

Have a good Monday!

jenny December 20, 2010 at 2:07 pm

oh HEABs… whipped cream sounds so good right about now…

HEAB December 20, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Jenny,
When does whipped cream not sound good? ;)

Meagan December 20, 2010 at 7:10 pm

What in the world is that thing you made? It looks gooey and delicious!

HEAB December 20, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Meagan,
I guess I’d call it polenta banana pudding?

Gena December 20, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Looks delicious, Heather!

And just had to tell you that one of my favorite clients is a devotee of HEAB. He references you constantly–recipes, tips, etc–and when he does I always smile.

HEAB December 21, 2010 at 12:21 am

Really Gena? That made my whole day – please tell him thanks for reading. :)

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast December 21, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Oh my that looks delicious! I’m currently avoiding corn (elimination diet to figure out a possible allergy) but this may be one of the first things I make when I add it back in. I just want to stick a fork in your picture! Maybe I’ll try an oatbran version in the meantime.

HEAB December 21, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Emily,
I think the polenta pudding would be even better with oat bran or perhaps several brancakes. Good luck with the corn avoidance…thank goodness for brown rice chips, no? :)

{ 2 trackbacks }