Cutting Out Cruciferous

by HEAB on December 27, 2010

So, I’m not sure if cutting out chocolate from diet really helped Summer or not. After a few days of zero chocolate, Summer was still having stomach issues. I knew broccoli was bad news, and this past week, I added cauliflower and cabbage to the list. Yeah, that whole bowl of sauerkraut was a very bad idea. So, now I’m avoiding them as well as my beloved Brussels, but there are plenty of other veggies out there that I enjoy just as much.

Last night while CD whipped up a big batch of mustard bacon stir-fry for himself and his parents, I made my own version…

I stir-fried 1/5 pound of beef and 1 slice of bacon along with kale, carrots, and mushrooms. Towards the end of cooking, I stirred in a little turkey bone broth and a big spoonful of mustard. It tasted great. I LOVE cooked carrots, but I’ve never been a huge fan of raw carrots…unless of course they’re slathered in nut butter. :)

Dearest carob, how I love thee. Seriously, I had no idea how much I relied on chocolate to get me through my day, and so I’ve been eating a ton of plain oat bran covered in carob chips. My mugs of carob covered oats make me oh so happy.

Eating less veggies seems to be helping, and so I might try adding chocolate back into my diet. I’m really hoping it’s the veggies and not the chocolate, but if so, here’s to a lot more kale and carob!

My Nursery Workout of The Day can be found here. Thanks Amber – I loved your quick and efficient circuit. My legs felt like jell-o by the time I was finished. Speaking of workouts, don’t forget, it’s not too late to join Team HEAB. I can’t wait to tone up with all of you in the New Year!

kristine December 27, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Join the “I cant eat broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts,and sauerkraut club”.

No matter how many enzymes I take, or how many times I chew it, it kills my tummy :0(.

But, like you say… there are SO many other yummy, tummy friendly veggies we can eat :-D

Meagan December 28, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Have you ever tried eating a small amount and not a whole bowl? Portions really help me alot with digestion

Christin@purplebirdblog December 27, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I too love the cooked carrots and am not so much with the raw! Unless they are super shredded in salads… that I can handle.

Natalia - a side of simple December 27, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Oh, I’m sorry to hear Summer is still having some stomach issues. I fully support your chocolate consumption, though. Since Summer seems alright with it, I say you have some making up to do! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, Heather!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) December 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Believe it or not, I would personally be torn between giving up cruciferous veggies and chocolate. I suppose I’d opt for cruciferous veggies because I could substitute things like kale, carrots, parsnips, tomatoes, squash, etc.

Yet again, I’m amazed by your determination and dedication in doing what is best for Summer. And PLEASE KEEP TALKING ABOUT IT. Women need to get this information out there to help each other.

grocery goddess jen December 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Wow, I never thought about how much our own diet would affect our baby while breast feeding, but of course that makes perfect sense!

Kris | iheartwellness.com December 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I am glad to hear your chocolate is being added back into your routine ;)

I heard that nightshades can cause huge inflammation in the body and that might be something to look into?? I know a friend had the same issue with her little one and she cut them out!

xxoo

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 6:10 am

Kris,
I’ve heard that too as one of my friends had to give up tomatoes while breastfeeding. Will keep that in mind – thanks!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 27, 2010 at 5:18 pm

hi Heather! Im commenting from the friendly skies at 40k feet above :) I am soo sorry that you think it’s cruciferous veggies that she’s reacting to…which is common, but it’s a bummer for you b/c I know how you love them! I think many people, not just infants, can have trouble digesting them in any real quantity so hopefully with those out (and w/ your beloved choc removed!) Miss Summer starts feeling better.

The other thing too b/c i know you’re supplementing is that it’s something in the formula and between your diet and the formula, somewhere in the middle lies the truth so to speak and that it’s tricky to pinpoint the culprit w/out tons of detective work. Took me a lifetime to figure out my own food allergies! And it’s always a work in progress as my body, even now, changes!

Anyway here’s to the cruci veggies being the culprits and she starts feeling better :)

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 6:10 am

Averie,
I can’t believe you’re on your way home already. Did you stay up until 3 AM unpacking and grocery shopping again this year? Hehe. ;)

Yes, it’s so hard knowing whether it’s something I ate or the formula. I’d really like to use a non-dairy formula, but the ones I can find are pretty horrible. I don’t want to do soy, and most of the non-dairy ones contain corn syrup solids as the first ingredient. Yuck. Still pondering making our own.

Baking 'n' Books December 27, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Aren’t veggies the devil? Seriously, I hate it, because they taste so darn good and I eat buckets of them – but I know their a huge factor in my stomach issues…unlike you however, I haven’t gotten up the nerve to cut the cruciferous cord.

Glad chocolate is back! It’s Christmas. I actually found carob chips sweeter than chocolate before when I tried them! :0

S @ extremebalance.net/blog December 27, 2010 at 5:26 pm

So happy to hear that chocolate is coming back! Congrats—I think I was in shock when you said you were giving it up, so I decided to hit it a little on your behalf this holiday season! ;)

Kristina @ life as kristina December 27, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Happy you don’t have to restrain from your beloved chocolate anymore-not fun being deprived of the good stuff. I guess its a big game of trial and error for the little heablet-I hope her stomach settles soon:)

Susan December 27, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I hope your experimentation works out for the best and Summer starts feeling better soon. Pray it’s the veggies, not the chocolate!

Matt December 27, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Life without brussel sprouts? Is that even life?

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 6:07 am

Matt,
No, no really. ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 27, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Hey Heather! I hope you had an incredible Christmas! I can’t believe the winter wonderland we enjoyed in TN! We did not want to leave today and now our brains are spinning with how we can move there! Sorry about the lack of veggies, but I am glad you are figuring it all out for Summer! I am sure her tummy appreciates it. I have recently discovered my love of roasted carrots and can’t seem to get enough of them!

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 6:07 am

Sarena,
Yes, move here! :)

Corey @ the runners cookie December 27, 2010 at 5:47 pm

The stir fry looks delicious and full of great veggies. I am with you on the carrots – I like cooked a lot better than raw!
I’m glad you had a great Christmas Heather :)

Christina December 27, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Hi there, I recently started following your blog as I was googling a kabocha recipe I think… anyway, so I just read this post and am assuming (by Averie’s comment above ^) that some foods are bothering your baby :(
I had the same issues when I was breastfeeding too. I found that dairy and eggs were making her really restless and fussy and even red at times. When she was 7 months and starting to actually eat foods she was broken out in hives all the time. Turns out she was allergic to oats, wheat, milk, egg, strawberry, peanut and other nuts… the list goes on *sigh* Egg and milk were the major allergies and it really made sense to me looking back. I just sort of stopped eating them unconsciously and she got better. If she has food allergies when she is older, dont dispair! There are plenty of things to eat :) Not to mention kids can and will “grow out” of most allergies. My daughter can eat nuts now (I still haven’t given her peanuts) and even a bit of cheese though she prefers sheep cheese (the expensive stuff of course) as well as butter and wheat and oat. It is just trial and error with Zyrtec and EpiPens on hand at all times.
I sure hope you find the culprit and its something not too depriving!

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 6:06 am

Christina,
Thanks for the advice. I’ve read that dairy and eggs are two common foods to avoid during breast feeding. It’s frustrating b/c even if I gave up all dairy (I don’t eat much, but I do love butter), her formula still contains dairy (we’re having to supplement as I don’t make enough milk), and I really don’t like the ingredients of the dairy-free formulas. Some of them have corn syrup solids as the first ingredient. :(

Laughing that your daughter prefers sheep cheese. She sounds like me – Whenever I walk into a store, I’m immediately attracted to the most expensive item. ;)

Christina December 28, 2010 at 11:05 am

Ohh those formulas! Some seem ok but I know what you mean about the corn syrup solids. When I read it i thought to myself “OMG!!?”
Have you ever tried fenugreek? That stuff made me overflow with milk…

Ana December 27, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I don’t want to be the one breaking out the bad news, but I am pretty sure Kale is a cruciferous vegetable also Heather…
One thing about figuring out foods is to try eliminating them from your diet one by one so you can find which ones are the worse, and I think you are doing everything the right way. You just tried it with chocolate and now the broccoli and brussels too. I am fan of yours Heather, what a wonderful mommy you are!!
I hope Summer’s feel better soon, but if not don’t worry too much. I learned that babies tummy (gi tract) needs a few months to fully mature, and I actually believe in that, as with my experience the colic pains vanished from one day to the other. And from the chats I had with my friends who have had babies it seems that with most babies things seem to really happen that way (and I have an array of friends, some who breastfed exclusively, some who formula fed exclusively, some like us who did both)
I guess it is all a matter of their little bellies to get used to the foods, the milk and formula they eat and all the components that get passed through the milk.
Hope you are all doing well, and happy for the chocolate to be back! Carob chips are delicious (I enjoy them a lot), but there is nothing like chocolate, right?!

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 6:02 am

Ana,
Yeah, I read that kale was of the cruciferous family, but it doesn’t seem to bother Summer like the broccoli and cauliflower did. Wow, that was bad, but I didn’t notice any ill effects from the kale thank goodness. I’ve also heard that infant gas usually clears up around 8 weeks, and so I’m hoping that’s the case with Summer. She seems to be doing better, especially after we started her on Mylicon drops…or maybe it’s all the carob chips I’ve been eating. ;)

carolyn December 27, 2010 at 6:10 pm

cruciferyuck… when it’s ugly it’s really ugly..

How did the kale settle?
Bring on the chocolate.. hope it works out..

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 6:00 am

Bid,
Kale seemed fine. With broccoli and cauliflower it was really obvious they bothered Summer, but didn’t notice and ill effects with kale.

Brittany December 27, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Hey Heather. I’m really interested in TEAM HEAB. I’m going to email you!

Stephanie December 27, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Hey Heather- I too have given up the cruci veggies for my breastfeeding babe. I also gave up kale recently though too because it is in the same family as cabbage. I saw above that you made your stir fry with kale, did it not bother Summer later? Just curious… I know it is hard to know sometimes… just thought I would ask anyways…

Also, I have used this link (http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2009/05/nourishing-new-mom.html) a bunch to give me ideas of good things to eat while nursing. I also have the problem of having too much milk, yes, I know that may not seem like a normal problem, but I have way too much milk and that makes it hard to breastfeed as well. So because of that I have given up oats, and I LOVE oats, so I my mouth is watering at all of your oatie creations :) I will have to ease back into eating oats soon I hope!

Best of luck as always… :)
Stephanie

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 5:54 am

Stephanie,
So sorry you had to give up your oatmeal – that would be really hard for me, and I hope things get better for you soon. Another blogger sent me the link to the Nourishing Meals post a few weeks ago, and yes, I found it very helpful. I didn’t notice that the kale bothered Summer. When I’ve eaten broccoli and cauliflower, it was really obvious, but she seemed fine with the kale.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 27, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Less veggies? Sounds HORRIBLE! Especially because you can’t soften the blow with a little chocolate.

Erin December 27, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Tragic, Heather!
I suppose having an incredibly beautiful peanut is worth it.
How fun, eating less vegetables. I kind of love it!
Does CD have an Xbox 360? The You Shape program for Kinect is amazing and you can do, like, 12 minute workouts on there! I love it!

HEAB December 27, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Erin,
No, no Xbox 360. :(

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) December 27, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I hope something will help Summer feel better. Both veggies and chocolate are two hard things to give up, but I think that it’s great that you’re doing it for your beautiful daughter – I definitely would too! :)

This morning I posted a recipe on my blog that involves oats, pesto, and goat cheese. It’s pretty simple but really good! Check it out if you get a chance. I think you would really like it!

Ilana December 27, 2010 at 7:08 pm

this post made me run to the kitchen, make some oats, and top em with carob chips. mmmmm!!!

Dorry December 27, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Thank goodness for Carob! But I hope you can chocolate back into your diet soon. :)

Katherine: Unemployed December 27, 2010 at 7:13 pm

It’s so hard to know what could be causing it! good luck with the trial-and-error; there is no other method to find out I guess

Rach December 27, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Just came across your website and I thought I’d say “hi” :) Good for you for living such a healthy lifestyle! You look fabulous for a lady who’s had a baby! Your family is adorable and your food pictures on this post are making me hungry. I’m thinking it’s dinner time for this girl. :)

HEAB December 27, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Rach,
Glad you found me and thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed your dinner.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 27, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Im the opposite- hateee cooked carrots, love raw! good luck with finding what works! I really need to try carob- I always have a bag in my hand at the store but always say “next time..” You are making me want some!

HEAB December 27, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Felicia,
Keep the carob bag in your cart! ;)

Namaste Gurl December 27, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Yay for getting some kind of workout in– glad you got some body movement despite the recent business :-)
And yay for chocolate hopefully coming back, how exciting HEAB!
At least there’s still coconut, if not broccoli!
xoxo

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) December 27, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Hope you figure out what it is! That stir-fry looks aaaaaaamazing! YUMMY

lindsay December 27, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Its like trial and error all over again, right? But I am sure summer appreciates it! Maybe lots of sweet potatoes and chocolate will help!
LC

HEAB December 27, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Lindsay,
I sure hope so!

Paige @ Running Around Normal December 27, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Thank goodness for carob, right?! I can’t imagine not having a substitute for chocolate. Hopefully Summer’s tummy troubles settle soon!

HEAB December 27, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Paige,
OBSESSED with carob. Just wish it was as cheap as my beloved Baker’s squares!

Clairerose C December 27, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I’m on the other side of the carrot.I love em raw.Cooked…not so much:-)cc

Katie December 27, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I could definitely see the raw veggies being a problem with Summer’s system. Even I have troubles with lots of veggies, like broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbages. Tonight I had brussel sprouts and my stomach is puffing out! It’s those gassy greens I tell ya! ;)

Nicole December 27, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Heather,
Do you use bacon with nitrites/nitrates? If not, what brand do you use? I can’t find any at my grocery store without them. I don’t have a whole foods nearby. Thank you

HEAB December 27, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Nicole,
I used to buy the nitrate free bacon from Trader Joe’s, but here lately, we’ve just been buying the Kirkland brand of bacon from Costco as it’s much cheaper.

Hannah December 27, 2010 at 9:34 pm

As someone who eats several helpings of chocolate every day (and blogs reviews of them to boot), I’m mighty relieved to hear you can maybe introduce chocolate back into your system! It’s also really inspiring, what you’re prepared to do for Summer. It makes me feel a little like I owe it to myself to treat my body a little better, too.

Funnily enough, though, I’m the opposite to you! Am just now starting to cope with cooked carrots – used to only be able to eat them raw :P

HEAB December 27, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Hannah,
Thanks for the encouragement, and yes, we all could probably treat our bodies a little better. I need to be reminded of this often. :)

Eileen December 27, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Heather, my daughter had some serious stomach issues when I breastfed. I also eliminated foods from my diet and nothing really helped until I started to give her powdered probiotics. They really help with babies digestion and immunity. She is now 7 and still has a sensitive stomach, but I still give her probiotics daily and it really helps. Not sure it that is the problem, but it wouldn’t hurt to give it a try.

HEAB December 27, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Eileen,
What brand of probiotics did you use did you use? Do they make probiotics for infants? I should be taking mine as well. I always forget as I store them in the fridge, away from my other vitamins/supplements. Taking it tomorrow – thanks for the reminder!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) December 27, 2010 at 10:13 pm

It’s too bad you have to stay away from some of your fave foods, but you’re doing what’s best for your baby! You’re a good mommy :) And kale is amazing!
xo

Amalfi Girl December 27, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I never thought to do that simple stir fry (meat + veggies + mustard). Love it!

HEAB December 27, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Amalfi,
I love it too. The veggies cook in the fat from the meat. So good!

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 27, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I really find it interesting how much food can affect breastfeeding. Sorry if that’s weird! ;)

HEAB December 27, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Katy,
I find it fascinating myself. Never really knew that much about it until now.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} December 27, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I love that you hope it’s the veggies and not the chocolate that’s upsetting her tummy! :-)

nicole December 27, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Veggies give ME gas and tummy issues so I can only imagine what they’re doing to poor Summer! :(
Funny that you don’t like raw carrots but like them cooked because I’m the complete opposite.

I hope giving up the veggies work! Here’s to letting chocolate back into your life!! XOXOXO

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 27, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Heather, you’re a wonder woman! You never give up :)

Monica December 27, 2010 at 11:34 pm

That is ruff luck on the cruciferous vegetables! Those are my favorite and I could not imagine life without those veggies and/or chocolate. Good luck!

Marcia December 27, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Wow, you are almost making me cry. You see, I remember.

I remember 8.5 months, of no wine, no feta, blue or goat cheeses, no smoked salmon, no deli-turkey sandwiches.

Then I gave birth. And just an hour before leaving the hospital, getting a visit. From the lactation nurse. Not the one who had been to my room – a different one. And this is what she told me:

“You have to be very careful with your diet now. No onions, no tomatoes, no garlic. No broccoli or cauliflower or cabbage. No beans. No chocolate. You don’t want the baby to get gas.”

For the next two days I wanted to die. What on earth COULD I eat? I was practically vegetarian. Every meal I ate had one of those items in it, usually more. Did I have a year of green beans and carrots in my future? It was so bad that at our first pediatrician’s visit, my hubby broke down and asked the doctor (also a lactation expert) how I was to deal with the things that I couldn’t eat after the pregnancy. Who said this: “who told you that? My god. No. Eat what you like. There is no known relationship between what a mother eats and her baby getting gas, with the exception of dairy. Think about it, beans give YOU gas, it’s not gonna get into the milk.”

Which was repeated by the local expert lactation consultant, with a $200 textbook her husband teased her about. But the single most worthwhile statement in the whole book was just that “there is currently no empirical evidence that when a nursing mother eats food that can cause gas, that it will give a baby gas, with the exception of dairy”.

Anyway, my doc said to do just what you are doing, which is wait till there’s a problem and try eliminating things (green apples apparently gave my hubby a tummyache when his mom ate them). But boy I am so happy my son never had issues. I hope you find the issue, and I hope it’s not broccoli. Some kids are just gassy. Good luck.

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 6:20 am

Very encouraging Marcia. Thanks so much! I would have freaked out if that lactation consultant had told me that in the hospital as well. Unfortunately, I think broccoli and cauliflower are definitely problematic, and hopefully I won’t have to cut out much else. As much as I love my broccoli, I can live without it, and besides, CD hates the smell. He runs from the kitchen whenever I cook it. ;)

Heather December 28, 2010 at 12:05 am

Awww, poor sweet thing! I hope you can figure this whole diet thing out soon and soothe her gassy little tummy! With all your posts about carob, I decided to give it another try (first time…meh). Now, I love it! It really grows on you!

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 6:16 am

Heather,
I know. I’m obsessed with carob! Glad you tried it. :)

Katie December 28, 2010 at 12:08 am

Once again, Heather, I’ll take one for the team and eat some crucifers for you. But not because I want to. ;)

Riss December 28, 2010 at 12:51 am

I’d just like to echo what so many of your readers have already said: Thanks for being so vocal about the changes you’ve made in your diet to help Summer! It’s been very frustrating for me to watch my friends let their babies’ health and comfort take a backseat to their own immediate desires and preferences. Those first few months and years are so important!

Have you tried drinking a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar mixed in with water after eating? I’ve read that it’s safe to do while breastfeeding. If another reader hasn’t already suggested this, you might want to look into it! It really does help with gas and indigestion…

I’m excited that you *might* be able to add chocolate back into your diet! I’m a chocoholic, too, but can only consume it in small quantities, so I feel your pain!

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 6:15 am

Riss,
No, I hadn’t heard about the apple cider vinegar thing. I will definitely look into it. Thanks!

Kristina @ spabettie December 28, 2010 at 1:27 am

okay, but TELL me – are you guys still using that SAME mustard??? ;)

Happy Holidays, HEAB Family !! <3

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 6:14 am

Kristina,
Yes, but we’ve had several people give us some more exotic mustards as gifts, and so we’ve been using those as well. However, the French’s mustard is still our favorite for stir-frys. We’ll get to the end of the container fairly soon I think. :)

Marina December 28, 2010 at 2:22 am

Those veggies always make my tummy uncomfortable, lots of gas and stuff. So I’m sure it will help Summer if you remove them a bit from your diet. Not completely, it’s important that you’re happy with your food ;)

Little Bookworm December 28, 2010 at 6:01 am

Good luck with giving up cruciferous vegetables, and yay for possibly reintroducing chocolate! I’m like you, I don’t really like raw carrots either, much prefer them cooked. :)

Ruthanne December 28, 2010 at 8:40 am

Hi Heather!
I’ve never been pregnant so I don’t know how this would translate through breast milk but eating cruciferous vegetables with meat is a big NO for me. I can eat brussels sprouts/broccoli/cauliflower to my hearts content combined with anything but meat. But, if I eat even one shrimp or a tiny piece of meat with it, I have MAJOR digestive upset. Hope this helps and doesn’t just add to your confusion! I’ve spent the last year trying to figure out all my food allergies/sensitivities and it’s been such a challenge!

Good luck!

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Ruthanne,
Really? That’s so interesting. Hope you get all your allergies figured out – I know that’s not easy. Lots of trial and error.

brandi December 28, 2010 at 9:13 am

I’m the same way with carrots! I’ve never liked them raw, but I’ll eat them roasted or cooked in soups and stuff.

Rachel (tea and chocolate) December 28, 2010 at 9:59 am

That’s too bad about the cruciferous veggies. But if it makes Summer feel better than it’s probably a good plan. At least you can eat chocolate again!

Hanna M. December 28, 2010 at 10:31 am

Crossing my fingers for chocolate reintroduction! Can’t imagine Christmas without chocolate ;) (but then I’ve never tried carob). This year I made medallions of coconut butter layered with dark chocolate… Instant hit with my famliy!
Sounds like you are doing a great job in finding the right nursing diet for you and Summer! After all, we’re all different, and what other babies can’t “eat” (well, indirectly), Summer may tolerate. And vice versa, of course.

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Hanna M,
Chocolate coconut medallions? I bet they were a big hit! :)

polly December 28, 2010 at 12:12 pm

oh sweetie! I hope chocolate is a-okay.
Tell Summer that aunt Polly’s tummy cannot handle veggies much at all. (made scrambled eggs with veggies today to be a good girl… ouch belly!) better off with plain eggs :D

Summer I bet would love some blue chips dipped in avocado and many more carob chips, dont’ ya think? ;)

Lurve you, sweetie!

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Polly,
Of course Summer would love some blue chips dipped in avocado and carob chips for dessert – just like her mama. :) Lurve you too.

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! December 28, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I’m so glad it looks like it’s not the chocolate! What great news! I hope summer feels better soon!

Liz (It's A Cupcake World) December 28, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I always hate it when I find something I can’t eat anymore for some reason, but the best part about it is, you get to eat and try so many other wonderful things!

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Liz,
Thanks for shedding some positive light on the situation. :)

Wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas December 28, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Oh wow! I can’t believe I fell off the radar for a while, and I haven’t checked your blog since you had your baby! I can’t wait to go back through your posts and read all about it.

Wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas December 28, 2010 at 2:44 pm

As for the foods that bother your baby’s tummy, we had those troubles at first, too, mostly with Indian foods (curries, dal, etc.) It seems to have worked itself out, though, and at 14 months in, I can eat anything I want and my boy is not affected. You’ll be back to your normal foods in no time! I swear by the fact that a varied diet while breastfeeding does help develop their palate…my son eats many of the same foods we eat now, and his favorites are lentils, guacamole, and hummus! And he’ll bite your finger off to get to a stalk of asparagus! You’re giving your baby such a wonderful start by eating the way you do. You go, mama!! (BTW, are you familiar with Shari Criso? She’s a breastfeeding GODDESS!!)

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Wendy,
I love double comments. :) Thanks for the encouragement, and I really hope Summer goes after asparagus like your son does. I am not familiar with Shari, but I will check her out. Thanks!

Wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas December 28, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Shari is wonderful! She’s a nurse, midwife and lactation consultant who hosts a live webchat show (My Baby Experts) that you can watch via Ustream every Monday night. The breastfeeding info is top notch, you can ask questions, and there are lots of great products featured (and you can win them!) Her personality is great, and the entire chat crowd is very supportive. I attended one show, and now I’m hooked! (and no, they don’t pay me to advertise! :) haha )

Here’s the link, just in case:

Wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas December 28, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Oh poo. I didn’t mean to comment twice. I added that bit about Shari at the end and poof! 2 comments. :(

Meagan December 28, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Maybe you should get her tested for food allergies? I am not sure at what age that is possible. It’s a bummer you can’t pin point the issue. Maybe you should cut down on the oats?

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Meagan,
I’m eating the oats b/c they are known to help increase milk supply. However, I would definitely back off if they were the source of the problem. Apparently all babies get gas, and it usually gets a lot better by 8 weeks of age. Summer will be 8 weeks next Friday, and if things don’t get better, then I’ll keep adjusting my diet and probably try a different formula.

Meagan December 28, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Are you feeding her soy formula? SOY is VERY hard to digest, especially little little little babies!

Heather – read this article:

:D

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Meagan,
NO, no soy formula. We’re currently feeding Summer Similac with dairy. We tried Earth’s Best, but she spit up a lot more with it. All the non-dairy formulas are pretty awful. So, we’ve thought about making our own using goat milk.

carlee December 28, 2010 at 3:23 pm

The last carob chips I had, had barley!:( Which means: AKA GLUTEN!
grr. I wonder if there are any gf carob chips! They were good teh one time I did have them unknowingly. lol
I guess what im saying is your bowl of carob oatmeal looks good and I want it;)

HEAB December 28, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Carlee,
I eat Sunspire unsweetened carob chips – they’re not vegan, but they are gluten free. http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=172832&prrfnbr=213698

tina December 29, 2010 at 12:34 pm

not sure if this will help or not, but this article discusses how some babies have digestion issues because of foremilk (which is the milk initially produced during a feeding and tends to have a high sugar content)

Kath December 30, 2010 at 10:51 am

I love boiled carrots! (Raw not so much.) I eat carrots in a stir fry almost every day, and they’re so yummy when fried in ghee and then covered with almond butter! :D