Chocolateless Fudge

by HEAB on December 29, 2010

The chocolate didn’t go over so well yesterday, and so I’m not going to eat any more for the time being. As much as I love my chocolate, I’m perfectly fine with not eating it as I love carob almost as much. Yesterday, I used it to make carob 2-Ingredient Fudge.

Into the saucepan went one 10 ounce bag of carob chips and 1 can of coconut milk…(Edited to add: I used the Sunspire brand unsweetened carob chips the first time I made this. The 2nd time I made it, I used the Sunspire vegan sweetened carob chips, and the fudge did not set and stayed liquidy unless I kept it in the freezer. I prefer the unsweetened chips.)

I stirred over low heat until the chips completely melted and then poured my liquid fudge into a greased 8×8 glass dish…

I placed it in the freezer until hard and then transferred it to the fridge. Easy as that.

This morning, I enjoyed a double serving of fudge atop a bowl of oats inspired by Little Bookworm

I cooked one cup rolled oats with 2 cups water (I had no milk) and then used Katie’s melted banana trick to sweeten the mix. My toppings consisted of almond butter and carob fudge. By the time I was halfway through the bowl, my fudge had completely melted. Oh so good!

This morning, I placed the fudge back in the freezer as it was too soft after sitting in the fridge overnight. Next time I make it, I’ll add more carob chips.

Are you a fudge fan? I don’t like regular fudge that much as it’s way too sweet, but I do enjoy my HEABified versions.

Don’t forget, only 2 days left to join Team HEAB!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 29, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Can I come over for Heabified breakfasts? My mouth waters every time!

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Felicia,
You’re welcome anytime! :)

Christin@purplebirdblog December 29, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Mmmmm, that looks amazing. My sister’s fudge is way too sweet, and I think this would be right up my alley.

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) December 29, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Get OUT of here with those oats! Dear lord, how will I resist making those??

chocolate-covered katie December 29, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Hehe Heather, I was *so close* to making you a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge Babies for your birthday… then I was like, “Oh my goodness, she can’t have chocolate right now!”
Guess who ended up eating the cookie dough babies… ;)

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm

CCK,
You’re so thoughtful, and I’m glad someone got to enjoy the cookie dough babies…whomever that someone is. ;)

Little Bookworm December 29, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Thanks for the shout-out! :D Yay for trying the porridge. I love your adapted version, the fudge sounds like an amazing addition instead of the chocolate. I love fudge – especially vanilla fudge. I think I should try your version soon! :)

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 3:29 pm

LB,
Thank YOU! I always forget how good Katie’s banana trick is. Yum, and it was even better with the fudge and almond butter. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 29, 2010 at 12:56 pm

The things we do for our babies! Seriously, I hope Summer knows how much you love her giving up chocolate! You know I love my hemp fudge! The oats look to die for! Have a great day Heather and I hope Summer’s tummy feels better today!

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Thanks Sarena,
She’s doing much better today. :)

Katherine: Unemployed December 29, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I love that 2-ingredient idea. The consistency looks great! Melted bananas and chocolate oh my. you’re always eating the best combos

Runeatrepeat December 29, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Would this work with chocolate chips? Ben doesn’t like carob as much (maybe it’s in his head, but still).

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Runeatrepeat,
Yes, I usually make the fudge with 2 boxes of unsweetened baker’s chocolate, but if I was making it for others, I would use the semisweet. I would recommend using a bag and a half – so 15 ounces total.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg December 29, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I love carob almost as much as I love chocolate!

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Anna,
Me too! Sometimes I think I might like carob even more.

steph December 29, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Love HEAB 2 Ingredient Fudge!! Did you ever try making it with nut butter?

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Steph,
No, I didn’t, but I need to! Did you?

Steph December 29, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Not yet – but I have been playing around with different types of baker’s chocolate and coconut milk (light coconut makes the fudge more firm compared to regular coconut milk that is found in the “ethnic” or “health foods” section of grocery stores makes for softer fudge). However, my mother is working on HEAB fudge with instant espresso grounds, will keep you posted :)

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner December 29, 2010 at 1:22 pm

What exactly is the difference between carob and chocolate? I though carob was like raw chocolate or something?

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Matt,
Carob is made from the edible seed pods of the carob tree and often used as a chocolate substitute. It’s caffeine free and naturally sweeter than chocolate. It’s often roasted but you can buy raw carob powder as well. You should try it – carob chips are addictive. ;)

Kimberly December 29, 2010 at 1:24 pm

OMG~those oats look so yummy! I should try your carob fudge recipe ;) When is your b-day?!

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Kimberly,
Yes you should! I think you would love it. My birthday is January 2. :)

Namaste Gurl December 29, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Yum– I had a oatmeal- less morning, so this post is REALLY making me drool :) I still need to try carob!

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Namaste,
I thought Santa was going to bring you some carob. ;)

Kate@andwhenshesays December 29, 2010 at 1:35 pm

LOVE fudge. Love carob, too, though, so I’m looking forward to trying out this recipe. Right now I love mixing it with avocado on toast lol so it will be good for me to branch out a little.

Healthy Choc December 29, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I loove fudge, and that looks really tasty! Too bad about the chocolate…. =(

Victoria (District Chocoholic) December 29, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Loving all the carob substitutions and how well they are working out. My brother used to be allergic to chocolate, and I remember how the carob substitutes didn’t work in many things – I guess quality has improved in the last 20 years!

Kailey @ Caffinated Nut December 29, 2010 at 1:52 pm

glad to see you can still enjoy your sweets with carob!! i actually love carob a lot more than chocolate, is that weird? haha

ohh i just tried your version of mac n cheese with the quinoa/nooch/butter – it was EPIC

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Kailey,
No, I don’t think that’s weird at all. Sometimes I think I enjoy carob more. Not all the time, but I have my moments. So glad you like the mac n cheese! :)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) December 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I love fudge, but I agree that it can be too sweet. I made yours a few weeks ago with Endangered Species 72% mint, and it was amazing! You should try making hot carob sometime (maybe heating some almond or coconut milk with carob powder and some stevia or maple syrup). It’s too bad that you can’t have chocolate, but I’m glad that you found something to replace it (at least for a little while – nothing can really replace chocolate ;) ).

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Alexandra,
I bet the mint version was fantastic. I need to try that, and I have made a hot carob beverage before, but it’s been a while. Need to restock my coconut milk and make more. Thanks for the reminder!

Fi December 29, 2010 at 2:25 pm

yum! simple and yum!!ill be making this, maybe with real chocolate tho, im not a big carob fan. x fudge is way too sweet for me, a bit sickening actually!
f

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 29, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I dig anything with 2 ingredients!

And if one of them is chocolate (or carob)…even better!

I have made vegan fudge many times before with cocoa powder and/or choc chips, and coconut milk, but I confess, I always add powdered sugar :) Your version looks perfect for those times when one doesn’t want things super sweet…but then again, nothing is really ever “too sweet” for me….haha!

Ana December 29, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I need to try your heabified version of fudge Heather, because to be true I don’t like regular fudge at all…

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Ana,
I think you would love the fudge. We should try a pumpkin carob version! :)

Gina December 29, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I’m not really a fan of fudge. But I should try your HEABified ones :)

Sorry the chocolate didn’t go over so well, at least carob is equally as delicious :)

carlee December 29, 2010 at 2:56 pm

waho! That looks cool!
They have carob trufffles at a nearby health food store where i live! they are awesome!

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Carlee,
One word: jealous! ;)

Amy B December 29, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Hi Heather!

So I recently stumbled upon your blog and love it, and have been reading all the past entries. Anyway, I have a question for you:
I saw that you said your body does better on a diet high in fats/protein, lower in sugar…I was wondering if you’ve ever checked out the Blood Type Diet (it’s not really a diet but rather a way of eating: http://thenaturalhealthplace.com/BloodTypes.html ) and if it seems to be what you’ve found works best for you? I just heard about it recently, and after reading your blog I couldn’t help but wonder. If it agrees with what you’ve found works for you, I was thinking maybe I’d give it a try rather than random experimenting til i found MY ideal combo. Please let me know :)

Thanks,
Amy

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Hey Amy B,
I am familiar with the Blood Type diet. I’m type A, and the diet recommends more of a vegetarian diet for me. I never actually tried it, but I know some people who swear by it. I think it recommended that I not eat chickpeas and cashews, and therefore I quickly closed the book and put it back on the shelf. ;) Please let me know if you try it and if you get good results.

Sami December 29, 2010 at 3:16 pm

mmmmm fudgeeee :)

Rachel (tea and chocolate) December 29, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I prefer HEAB fudge for sure! I’ve made your fudge with unsweetened chocolate before, but carob sounds delicious too.

Baking 'n' Books December 29, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Seems like a great alternative!

What is it about Chocolate that causes gassiness or stomach upset anyways??!

Katie December 29, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I wonder if adding a tiny bit of coconut oil would help it stay solid? Looks delicious!

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Katie,
I thought about oil or coconut butter. It would probably work as would more carob chips. Plus, the coconut butter would step up it a notch…for us coconut lovers anyway. ;)

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse December 29, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I’m ashamed to admit it but I ate almost my own weight in fudge over Christmas – and it wasn’t a healthy version AT ALL. It was so sweet my teeth still ache just thinking about it… but soooooo delicious :-)
I made some of your two-ingredient fudge ages ago and loved it but it definitely wasn’t a fudge consistency; maybe because I only had half-fat coconut milk!
Thank you for the reminder, I’ll definitely have to have another go (and if you do try it with the half-fat stuff, it comes out like slightly more solid chocolate icing – yum!)

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Eleanor – nothing wrong with solid chocolate icing. ;)

Jenny December 29, 2010 at 3:42 pm

sorry to hear Summer’s tummy still isn’t agreeing with the chocolate! Looks like you’re making due just fine, though :) If there’s anyone can that make non-chocolate fudge look, perhaps, more decadent than regular chocolate fudge, it’s you!

nicole December 29, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Oh My! I don’t really like fudge bc I too think it’s too sweet. But this looks amazing. I’m still recovering from being sick but I am definitely going to make this as soon as i can taste. lol

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Nicole,
Been thinking about you. You were really down for the count, huh? Feel better!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 29, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I used to eat carob chips all the time but kind of stopped for a while, your posts reminded me to pick some up this week and I’m enjoying some now as I type this. They’re amazing :) I’m so glad to have them back in my life :P and they have calcium and protein in them too, who knew!

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Nicole,
Me too. I go through my carob phases and always forget how good they are. Happy to hear they’re back in your life. :)

Courtney December 29, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Your breakfast sounded and looked so delicious I had to have it today. You inspired me and it is my new favorite breakfast. The protein pancakes now come in second. I used oatmeal, a little coconut milk, fried up the banana before smashing it and added the almond butter. SOOOOOOO GOOOOOD!

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Courtney,
So glad you tried the oats. As much as I love pancakes, I must say I enjoy my oatmeal more. :)

Maryea @Happy Healthy Mama December 29, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Wow that breakfast is making me drool. I have to admit I love love love traditional full sugar fudge. But I try not to eat it too much ;-)

Ashlei December 29, 2010 at 6:04 pm

That looks so easy! Seems like it’d be similar to Cacao Bliss.

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Ashlei, it’s super easy! Here is my recipe for homemade cacao bliss – it’s easy as well: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/chocolate-coconut-butter/

Annie@stronghealthyfit December 29, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Fudge is one of those things I don’t find appetizing anymore… way too sweet! I’d probably like yours though, esp. the carob version! I love carob stuff.

kristi (sweet cheeks) December 29, 2010 at 7:41 pm

WOW!!! If that isn’t Heaven in a bowl, I don’t know what is. I think it should go without saying that I will most definitely be making that tomorrow. Thanks HEAB!

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Kristi,
You’re welcome. Enjoy. :)

Christina @ ilovefetacheese December 29, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Hi Heather! I know I haven’t commented in a while, but I read your blog everyday. I look forward to see little Summer -she’s so precious! It sounds like you’re such a great mom and I admire so much all you’re going through! I just wanted to let you know that I made your 2 ingredient fudge today – I used 1/2 can of lite coconut milk, 8 oz of bakers unsweet choco, 4 packets of no carb stevia, and a little salt – man, I’m ADDICTED. Thank you so much for this easy recipe!! Its got such a lovely texture too – I was surprised at how easy it thickened! I hope everything is going well with nursing and take care of yourself missy! Lots of <3, Christina

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Christina,
Good to hear from you. I hope you enjoyed your holidays and so happy to hear you liked the fudge. It is rather addicting, no? Happy New Year! :)

BroccoliHut December 29, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Back in 8th grade science class, there was one day on which we could all earn extra credit if we made fudge. As the overachieving child that I was, I of course made a batch…and so did everyone else in the class. I must have sample 25 pieces of fudge that day. Ever since, I’ve sworn off the stuff. However, your recipe might just change my mind:)

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 9:59 pm

BroccoliHut,
Back in the day that would have been my idea extra credit assignment! Hehe. ;)

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 29, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Mmmm…. girl, you need to make me breakfast sometime! ;)

A Teenage Gourmet December 29, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Heather, that looks realllllly reallllly good! :) By the way, I finally figured out the whole e-mail comment reply thing. Thank you so much for your help!

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Sami,
Oh good – glad it’s working for you.

Hannah December 29, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Bit of a shame, but hurrah for the yumminess of carob! While I’m a dedicated chocolate obsessee, I really like carob too. The problem is that no “good” carob exists here in Australia. I’ve never seen carob chips, only carob covered treats where the carob is made with milk solids and hydrogenated oil. What I wouldn’t give for Sunspire carob, which I had in the US! Is that what you use?

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Hannah,
Yes, Sunspire. So sorry you can’t find them in Australia. :(

Shirley @ gfe December 29, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I would love that fudge, Heather! I made a non-traditional fudge from Ricki Heller (Diet, Dessert & Dogs) recently. It was Almond-Cinnamon Fudge made using white beans, almond butter, yacon syrup, cinnamon, etc. Totally unlike typical fudge in taste, but had great soft fudge texture, and was very enjoyable and filing, too. :-)

Shirley

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Shirley, I love Ricki! Would have never thought to use white beans in a fudge recipe – I bet it did give it a nice texture. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year!

Lisa December 29, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I make a peanut butter fudge for one of my sons (17 months old) who can’t have chocolate, gluten, or dairy. 1 cup coconut oil, 1 cup natural peanut butter, 1/4 cup honey. Melt, stir and freeze. He cannot get enough of it. I have to cut him off. I’ll have to try carob with coconut milk.

HEAB December 29, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Lisa,
Yeah, you’d have to cut me off as well. Sounds delicious. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) December 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm

I’ve never had carob chips, but man, you make it look SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOD!! I definitely have to try your 2-ingredient fudge, it looks amazing. :D

Kay December 30, 2010 at 10:06 am

Wonder how much powdered carob to a can of coconut milk you would use?
Sounds yummy.

HEAB December 30, 2010 at 10:48 am

Hi Kay,
The fudge wouldn’t solidify if you used only powdered carob. Try it with the chips – it is yummy. :)

katie December 31, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Heather,

Do you used sweetened or un-sweetened carob chips?

HEAB December 31, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Katie,
I use both, but I prefer the taste of the Sunspire unsweetened. The sweetened ones are dairy-free and sweetened with barley malt, but I don’t think they taste as good.

Meagan December 31, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I am glad you are figuring out the food mystery! I was thinking of making your 2 ingredient fudge the other day but I didn’t know what the ratio of chocolate to coconut milk is… so how many oz of chocolate to a whole can of (full fat? I’ll be using full fat..) coconut milk? It’s definitely a good way to books consumption of coconut – which is SO rich in MCT which directly fuel your body!

HEAB December 31, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Meagan,
I use one whole can of full fat coconut milk (15 ounces I think) + 16 ounces chocolate. So either 2 boxes of baking chocolate or 1.5 bags of chocolate chips. Enjoy and Happy New Year!

Kate @ahealthypassion January 4, 2011 at 10:34 pm

made this tonight, OMG its to die for. thanks for yet another fabulous recipe!

Help4NewMoms January 10, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I can’t get over how great the picture is of the oatmeal carob fudge and almond butter! I wish I could reach through the computer screen. Was it as good as it looks?

BTW, Carob and coconut milk – Organic store only?

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Help4NewMoms,
Yes, it was as good as it looks. :)

You can find coconut milk at any regular grocery store. Even Wal-Mart carries it. However, for the carob chips, you’ll probably have to go to a health food store or any them online. Or, you could just use 16 ounces of baking chocolate or chocolate chips instead – that’s how I usually make the 2-ingredient fudge – with 2 boxes of Baker’s squares. Enjoy! :)

Ashley January 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Oh my gosh that looks so delicious! Do you think there’s a substitute for coconut milk in this recipe? Sadly, coconut upsets my stomach. :(

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Ashley,
The recipe was inspired by this one: http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/16314. It calls for condensed milk, but I used coconut instead. You could also try heavy whipping cream. I’m not sure if another nut milk would work as you need a liquid high in fat so that it gets creamy when it sets. Almond milk might work, but I think if you froze it, it would get icy rather than creamy, but I’ve never tried it, and so I’m not sure. Please let me know if you have any successful experiments. :)

Millie August 29, 2013 at 9:49 am

HEAB,

I know this is an old posting and recipe – but can I just say that you have created such a monster? I made this for the first time yesterday and pretty much couldn’t stop sneaking back to the freezer for a nibble. It is SO delicious and incredibly creamy and sweet. Perfection.

Thanks for creating such simple and inventive recipes for likeminded folks who don’t like the white stuff ;)

{ 6 trackbacks }