Pajama Party

by HEAB on January 1, 2011

5 years ago from yesterday marked the anniversary of my first official date with CD. For New Year’s Eve that year, our friends threw a burning party. They served amazing food and everyone brought something to burn in the large fire pit outside. It was a great way to end one year and begin another – very cleansing. People burned everything from journal entries to photographs. I burned a pair of old jeans as it was finally time to let them go, and wow, denim really lights up. Who knew? Anyway, the burning party became an annual tradition, until our friends had a baby and then another. Now they host a New Year’s Day breakfast for their friends with children, and you have to show up in your pajamas. This was our first year to attend the breakfast, and it was so fun. Chris and I were laughing thinking about that first New Year’s Eve together, and now here we are, 5 years later, married and with a baby. Crazy.

Me & Summer in our PJ’s

CD and I brought some Hawaiian baked sweet potatoes and joined in the feast.

IMG_6951.JPG IMG_6952.JPG

I fixed two plates and piled them high with eggs, hash brown casserole, quiche, our sweet potatoes, and half a Belgian waffle. I breakfast food!

This morning was Summer’s first social outing, and tonight we’re going over to another friend’s house for a New Years Day dinner. It’s a busy day for the HEAB family, and now it’s time to get back to taking down the Christmas decorations which always makes me so sad. I’m never ready for the holidays to end.

So, did everyone enjoy their New Year’s Eve? Did you stay up until midnight? I was fast asleep but not for long. ;)

Bridget January 1, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I had a few friends over and we all stayed up til midnight. We were all pretty tired afterward and hit the hay quick haha :) I’m no night owl.

Summer looks so beautiful!!!

Katherine: Unemployed January 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I see all the baby pajamas in the store and am so jealous you have a baby to dress up! The tiny onesies are so cute and I love all the footie-pj’s

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 8:45 am

Katherine,
Summer practically lives in her footie-pj’s. They are our favorites! Just so easy and her feet stay so warm – it’s almost impossible to keep socks on an infant! I think all 0 to 3 month clothes should come with footies. :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 1, 2011 at 1:28 pm

What nice traditions! I love you two in the pj’s. My boyfriend and I had a party last night with good close friends and it was such a great time. Went to bed at 4! I’ll be paying for it later today haha, worth it though. I’m not ready to take down the tree either, leaving it up one more week! Have a great Saturday, baby girl is getting so big !

Courtney January 1, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Aww Summer looks precious in her jammies! :) Glad you all had fun :D Happy new year!!!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun January 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I stayed up to see the ball drop on TV! Easy for me since I’m a night owl. ;-)

Healthy Choc January 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm

We went to some friends house and stayed up til about 2 AM. Today, we’re relaxing!!!! :D

Baking 'n' Books January 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Love the Jammies! I have a feeling that burning things would be very cathartic – similar to “de-cluttering” actually. Seems trivial – but it can be relieving!

I’m addicted to Sweet potatoes lately. Happy NY! How long have you been married? For some reason, I thought it was more than 5 years!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 1, 2011 at 1:59 pm

That is such a fun tradition! I love the “burning party” idea! What a great way to let go of the past!

Summer looks adorable in her jammies (and so do you!). Last night I was sick, so I was alseep by 10!

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 8:44 am

Chelsey,
Hope you’re feeling better!

Lauren at KeepItSweet January 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm

That Burn party sounds like such a great way to end a year and move on to the next! Brunch food is always so delicious, great start to the year for your family:-)

Kristina @ life as kristina January 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I love the burning party idea-genius!
Love the 2 girls in their jammies- you both look so cute!
We are hoping to take the Xmas tree and decorations today down too-it may be my “exercise” for the day since i’m still in a food coma from all the food last night!
Have a great day!

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I was in bed at 12:01. LOL.

Glad you had a good time this morning!

Amanda January 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Love the idea of a pajama party with the kids. Staying in pjs is always okay in my book!

Amber from Berlinswhimsy January 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I missed your Hawaiian baked sweet potatoes before—I’ll have to try them! They sound delicious.

What a fun tradition to have a New Year’s Day breakfast! It’s fun to see other people’s New Year’s traditions.

Happy anniversary, too! :-)

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 8:43 am

Amber,
That is my favorite sweet potato recipe. It’s so yummy – definitely try it! :)

Susan January 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Awww, I love that story at the top! Happy New Year to the HEAB family!!! I partied hardy last night and didn’t get to bed until 5am… then slept until 1pm today!!! Was definitely not in the state to meet my future husband :P

melissa @ the delicate place January 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm

that’s a really cute idea pj party! i love breakfast food too cannot get enough and i often have “brinner.” we skipped a huge party last night in favor of reserving a table at one of our fave eateries for dinner tonight. after, heading out for a drink sans all the people that are hungover today haha.

Annie@stronghealthyfit January 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Sounds like a great New Year’s Day! I stayed up until about 3:30… way later than I was planning on being up!

Katie January 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm

A burning party and a pajama party both sound awesome! Summer is going to be a social butterfly…I can already tell.

Erica January 1, 2011 at 2:52 pm

SUCH a great tradition. I love breakfast foods too- I’d be all over that. You and Summer look adorable. We went to bed right after midnight. I was exhausted ;) Enjoy your dinner out tonight

A Teenage Gourmet January 1, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Cutest idea ever! I’ve never heard of a burning party or a pajama breakfast.
I didn’t stay away until midnight, but my parents attempted to wake me up for the moment the clock changed . . . I resisted, haha.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 1, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Omg isnt it hilarious and strange and a real head-shake to think back to what you were doing with your spouse 5 years ago, or in the case of Scott and I, now 12 years. 10 married and 5 with a child? Because yea, we were staying up til 5am being wild and crazy and I have some stories..haha :)

Glad that you and CD have the cherished burning party memory! And now you have new memories. And the new ones just keep getting better and better, don’t they!

Happy 2011 to you all!!!!
xoxo

Susan January 1, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Isn’t it amazing how the years start to fly as we grow up? Congratulations to you and CD. Five years is amazing!

I fell asleep around 10:30 last night. No ball drop for me!

Christin@purplebirdblog January 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I have always wanted to participate in a burning party! Good times! :)

I got your card yesterday, and you are so sweet, Heather! Oh, and I absolutely LOVE your handwriting.

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 8:41 am

Christin,
So glad your card arrived. CD calls my handwriting Heather Font. ;)
Happy New Year!

Michal January 1, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Oh my gosh Summer is adorable in her jammies :) I stayed up till new years and spent time with my family and friends at the ball dropped!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama January 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I love the idea of a new year’s day pajama party. How fun! You and Summer look great. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Love Summer’s feetsie jammies!! So cute :)

Dustin and I stayed up, but we didn’t drink alcohol, just sparkling grape juice, lol.

Happy New Year, HEAB + family!! :D

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I love that idea…pj party with breakfast! You know I love breakfast food! We did the quiet family thing here last night and tonight we are going to a friends house for a lucky food pot luck! Have a great time tonight Heather and I with you and your family so much health and happiness in the new year! Love ya!

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 8:41 am

Thanks Sarena, I wish the same for your family! :)

lindsay January 1, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Crazy how 5 years just flies by! I love that party idea. What was the craziest thing thrown in the pit?
LC

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 8:40 am

Lindsay,
There was a really bitter, recently divorced girl tearing up her wedding photos and tossing them in the pit. So sad, but she seemed to feel a lot better when she was done. Wonder where she is now?

S @ extremebalance.net/blog January 1, 2011 at 3:42 pm

HNY, HEAB!

I don’t know if I misunderstood this, but you weren’t invited to your friends’ breakfast until you had a kid of your own? That makes me sad, as the last single person of my social circle—if that were me, I’d probably rent kids for special occasions. :D

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 8:37 am

S,
The brunch is technically for the couple’s friends with kids, but don’t be sad as I know they would gladly welcome non parents as well.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 1, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Awwwe happy date-anniversary and New Year!! :D And that burning party is such a good idea. Perfect way to close the old year and start a new one :)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) January 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm

My New Year’s Eve was so much fun – my mom and I made tamales! I only stayed up until about nine (that’s actually late for me – I usually go to bed between seven and eight). But the best part of the new year was this morning because I tried the Coconut-Carob Cups (I posted it on my blog)! They were sooooo good; you should definitely try them :) ! And a pajama party sounds like so much fun! Glad you had a good New Year and hope that this year turns out to be great for you and your family!

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 8:32 am

Alexandra,
Sounds like my ideal New Year’s Eve and New Years morning. Glad you enjoyed the cups! I really do need to try them.

Dorry January 1, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I love the idea of a burning party! And a breakfast pajama party, too. You have fun friends! We stayed up well past midnight which is SO RARE these days. We’ve been a bit lazy today. :) But, we’re off to soak up some sunshine now. Happy New Year HEAB!!

Junia January 1, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Summer looks adorable in that picture!!! Happy new year and anniversary! :)

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 1, 2011 at 4:22 pm

How fun!!! And the food looks great!

I had a low key NYE…. just staying in and watching the ball drop. Also planning my race calendar for the year! :)

carlee January 1, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I stayed up til 4 and ran up and down the street! You can read it in my next post! idk if you are subscribed to me or not! YOU SHOULD becasue I love you! lol
you and summer are so cute!
Love the fire burning pants! LOL light em up! ;)

Purer2raw twins January 1, 2011 at 5:21 pm

What a cool story about your first date!! Isn’t life amazing sometimes?? Now you have a beautiful family, and so much more great things to come for you in this new year!!

And I was the DD last night for all my friends….ya it was fun, haha I went to bed around 2:30!! Crazy

Anita Ruiz January 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Yesterday was my birthday! We brought in the New Year with sushi and had a little to much sake but I had a lot of fun with old and new friends.

Loving the updates with Summer. She is too cute.

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 8:28 am

Happy Belated Birthday Anita! :)

nicole January 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Happy new year!!
I took a nap so I could stay awake for the ball drop! And it paid off too because I got to see NKOTB/BSB perform on Dick Clark’s Rockin New Years Eve show. I’m not a big BSB fan but of course I loved NKOTB when I was … 10… lol Dennis got a good laugh out of it.

You and Summer look so freaking adorable in your PJs! 5 years? Time flies!!

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 8:26 am

Nicole,
I used to have the biggest crush on Joey!

Gaby January 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Happy New Year Heather! I love the idea of a NY’s brunch! I wanted to do that too but my friends all expect me to still act young and party all night, haha. I had to force my eyelids to stay open!
Summer is so cute! I can practically see her growing in the pictures!

Heather January 1, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I celebrated NYE in Nashville last night. Got downtown just in time to see the guitar drop! I think I ended up finally getting to bed around 3:30! I can’t even remember the last time I stayed up so late, but I had so much fun!

Happy “anniversary”! That’s such a cute story about the two of you!

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 3:46 am

Heather,
Sounds like you have a fun night – hope you didn’t get too wet. I was up with Summer throughout the night and those storms sounded bad. Happy New Year to you…it’s almost 3 AM, and I’m still dreaming of your Scottish oats. ;)

Amalfi Girl January 1, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Happy new year! I love that picture of the two of you in your pj’s–she’s so pretty!

R @ Learning As I Chop January 1, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Cute! I love that tradition

Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) January 1, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Hey Heather, I was very sad that we didn’t get to meet up the other day. Ashlee and I know how crazy life is with babies. Of course we didn’t stay up till midnight last night because we have to take every chance we can to sleep when the babies are sleeping. I am very excited that I was picked to be on your team for the challenge. I wrote my first blog post today about 2011 and the goal I have for myself I realized today that I will be 30 in 280 days. I decided to make a goal for 2011 to lose 58LBS by the day I turn 30. http://ashandlewplus2.com/2011/01/01/280-days-to-a-new-me-lew-that-is/ I know that it is going to be hard but am very glad that I will have the challenge to get me going strong.
Lew

Kristine January 1, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Awe what an adorable picture!

I looove remembering old, fun times with my boyfriend, especially the first few dates. Its so funny looking back :)

I think you should change your name to HESP… Heather eats sweet potatoes ;)

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 3:44 am

Kristine,
Haha – HESP. I like it. :)

christina cadden January 1, 2011 at 7:46 pm

What a great tradition!

Hannah January 1, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Oh, what a lovely, lovely transformation of tradition! I went to a lovely, semi-lowkey house party of a friend, and got home at 3:30am. I think I’d happily trade that in for a husband and baby, though… :D

Charlotte January 1, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Happy date-aversary! And you and Summer are so adorable in your PJs! I’ve never been to a burning party although now I want to!

Monica January 1, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Those are fun party theme ideas! Love them!

Made it to fifteen minutes before midnight and was out, but I have never been that great at staying awake for the ball drop.

Happy new years!

Ashley January 1, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Oh my gosh!! I just had an idea!! Carob Peanut Butter Fudge!!! It has to be done…mmmmm Summer is just so precious. Happy New Year, HEABS!!!

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 3:41 am

Ashley,
Yes, it does! I feel an experiment coming on. ;) Happy New Year to you as well!

Natalia - a side of simple January 1, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I think this sounds like the best New Years tradition EVER. I must make this a part of my life! (Although, pajama breakfast parties sound like too good of an idea to be saved for only one day a year…)

Lola January 2, 2011 at 2:00 am

Can Summer be any more adorable??? she’s sooo cute :)
I love breakfast food too! and the idea of a burning party is awesome, I think it’s going to be part of my New Years ritual next year :)
xoxo
Lola

Fi January 2, 2011 at 2:25 am

A pj breakfast party? thats sich a good idea! i stayed up until way too late playing poker, but it was a fun way to ring in the new decade! :) xx

Tabitha January 2, 2011 at 4:27 am

Happy New Year!
I love the idea of a burning party for New Year, I was in bed long before mid night, I’m a lark and fade after 9pm!

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 8:47 am

Tabitha,
Me too! Pre-summer I was usually fast asleep by 9 PM…I miss it.

Marty January 2, 2011 at 5:00 am

A PJ breakfast, what fun! You and Summer look so lovely! The Hawaiian sweet pots sounds lovely! We were in bed by 11pm last night, just too tired to stay up any longer. I will say today was great – +12 degrees most of the day but between 7 and 8pm it rose to +34! We call it a Chinook here – almost feels like I’m someplace else! Happy New Year and anniversary date with CD! xo m

Kristin (Salty Tooth) January 2, 2011 at 9:55 am

It sounds like a wonderful celebration! It’s amazing the difference a few years can make. Summer is so adorable!

Little Bookworm January 2, 2011 at 11:15 am

Sounds like a lovely breakfast event. Lovely photo of you and Summer! :)

Rose January 2, 2011 at 11:59 am

Congratulations on five years together! And now with a little baby – how wonderful! You two are beautiful together, and the three of you combined make a great family.
PS: I can’t wait until I can go to New Years parties in PJs with a baby :)

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Thanks Rose and Happy New Year to you! :)

Amy at TheSceneFromMe January 2, 2011 at 12:11 pm

What a beautiful little babe you have!
We went to a friends house party for NYE and had a great time. Sure beats going out to a crowded bar somewhere.
May you prosper in 2011!~!~

Halley(Blunder Construction) January 2, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Best wishes to you and your family for the new year!! I like the idea of having a burning party (can’t pull it off in my city apartment though!) Looking forward to many more batches of fudge in 2011

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Halley,
Ha! Me too. :)

Meagan January 2, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Reading your blog is such a joy, Heather! I look forward to more this year. And Summer’s PJs are SO cute!

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Thanks for reading Meagan! :)

Moni'sMeals January 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Just wanted to say Happy New Year!
Summer is getting even more cutier, I don’t know how that is possible!

HEAB January 2, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Thanks Monica. Happy New Year to you as well. :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence January 3, 2011 at 2:35 am

Crazy how much has happened in the past 5 years! Happy new year:)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat January 3, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Wow, I LOVE the idea of a burning party. Might have to keep that in mind for the future! I hear you on the decorations, I haven’t even started taking mine down yet (other than washing the Christmas dishes and sitting them on the counter to be put in boxes). I will take my time ;-)

VeggieGirl January 4, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Lovely celebration! :)

This was my best New Year’s EVER. Seriously.

Smriti January 4, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Love PJ partys!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
May this year be filled with good health,happiness and endless food love. :D
God bless you and your family.