Boxes & Balls

by HEAB on January 5, 2011

Hello. Want to see what I’ve up been up to lately?

Per Ashley’s simple instructions, I made a light box as I really want to take better photographs for the blog. Now, I just need to work on better lighting, but I’m not sure what kind of light bulbs to buy. Any suggestions?

I also made some tasty carob balls…

IMG_7007.JPG IMG_7011.JPG

The recipe comes from reader Tracy:

In a pan melt 1/4 cup of carob/choc chips, 2T of “milk of choice” (i use almond milk), 2 T nut butter; after it’s melted, remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cup of oats, spoon (I use a mini ice cream scoop) onto cookie sheet and refrigerate 10 minutes.

The only change I made was to sub 2 TBSP pumpkin + 2 TBSP water for the milk since I didn’t have any. Thanks Tracy – these were so easy, and they’re quite yummy.

I’ve also been doing the Team HEAB workouts everyday this week. How are the rest of you doing with them? I was pretty sore after the first day, but I’m feeling really good now. Have you done Lindsey’s challenge of the week? I did it yesterday and managed to hold plank for 2 minutes. Pre-baby, my record was 3 minutes, and I hope to break it before the competition is over.

Speaking of babies, Summer likes to sit in her bouncy seat and watch me workout.

Go Mom!

Chris is rocking Summer to sleep as I type this, and it’s time for me to call it a night. Before I go, I must say that all of your most embarrassing comments from yesterday had me cracking up. Oh my gosh, if any of you ever get bored at work, take a minute and read through them. I literally had tears rolling down my face I was laughing so hard, and the winner of the Cacao Bliss is…

Screen shot 2011-01-05 at 9.54.21 PM.png

Haha – too funny. Congrats Jules! Please email me with your address.

Goodnight my friends.

Aylin @ GlowKitchen January 5, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Those Carob balls look delicious!!

Maryea @Happy Healthy Mama January 5, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I think you want daylight bulbs. but that info. Is from research not personal experience. :)

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 5, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I made a light box about a week ago, but haven’t used it yet because the lighting isn’t right. I bought 100 W bulbs like many people told me, but my photos are too washed out, even when I play with the exposure settings. Let me know if you find out anything!

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 5:36 am

Katy,
There have been several suggestions regarding lighting left in the comments of this post. People have said buy “daylight” bulbs, and Angela recommended bulbs that are listed as 5500 Kelvin or “Full Spectrum”. These will get you as close to overcast daylight as you can get which is what you are looking for with a lightbox.

Kristina @ Life as Kristina January 5, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Summer is so stinkin cute!!! She’s growing so fast!!!
I really need to make a light box-i’m sure the fiance would love to make one but it would end up being some elaborate project, haha!

Hannah January 5, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Hahaha, I can’t stop laughing! That beats my peeing in a tree story by about a million! *wipes tears of laughter from eyes*

And now to make a dark chocolate version of the carob balls (I truly would love the carob version, but alas! I’ve already whinged about the lack of carob chips in Australia :P )

Christin January 5, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I’ve gotta get on this light box kick. I look forward to hearing what you find out about the bulbs.

Kim January 5, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Summer reminds me of Bella when I used to work out when she was that little. I put her in her bouncy chair or swing and hit the elliptical. As she got older, I would put in what we called “baby jail” the lego playpen thing with toys and watching the Wiggles (gasp) or Baby Einstein. We were always 2 happy girls and that very early exposure to being healthy absolutely encourages her 9yr booty to stay active and have fun! We did a 3 hr hike last weekend up @ Dreamy Draw, you could see all the snow on the mountains, good times I tell ya!

Cant help you with the light box, as all my classy pics are shot with my crackberry, only the best around here, ha!

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 5:38 am

Kim,
I can’t wait to hike with Summer someday!

clare January 5, 2011 at 11:41 pm

ooh love her big eyes, to die for! nice light box heather! look for the “daylight” or “natural light” labeled bulbs.

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 5:39 am

Thanks Clare!

Katie January 6, 2011 at 12:11 am

I have that tutorial bookmarked for something to do when I get home. I think I remember reading something about getting lower wattage bulbs? I could be making that up though.

Summer gets cuter by the minute.

Samantha January 6, 2011 at 12:24 am

LOVE the winner’s story, too funny!

Question for you: I’m doing Daniel Fast for 30 days (instead of the normal 21, I am adding 9 more for the fruits of the spirits) and I know part of the fast is hunger pangs, supplication, and there’s the normal side effect of malaise/exhaustion/etc. Do you have any suggestions for yummy meals that re fast compliant (all fruits and veggies, nuts, whole grains but nothing with yeast or leavener, high quality oils such as olive grapeseed or sunflower, but no sweeteners of any sorts, no preservatives or fats from dairy, and only water to drink)

Today I found that after my breakfast of a bowl of oats and puffed brown rice mixed with chia seeds and banana, I didn’t eat anything else because I wasn’t hungry, but now its 3pm and after a 75minute Dave Farmar podcast I’m utterly drained. Praying helps, of course, but I also reasonably know that without more in my system I’m not going to be able to function as I need doing the mom and domestic thing.

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 5:43 am

Sam,
Hope you recovered after your podcast. Dave Farmar always leaves my quads quivering after all those Warrior poses. As far as eats go, oats and quinoa with nut butter, Raw Lemon Miso salad: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/raw-lemon-miso-salad/, and any of Gena’s recipes: http://www.choosingraw.com/recipes/ should work.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 6, 2011 at 12:29 am

Omg you read my mind….I was googling light boxes in Aruba b/c I was scared that making my own (even Ashley’s variety) was going to be biting off more than I could, or needed, to be chewing :) But you have me convinced..if a new mama can whip it together, so can I!

I will be waiting to hear what kind of lights you get and use and like.

I JUST got my DSLR….last week. The last time I was this excited and in love w/ something was my Vita. I cannot tell you how much I love it. And know I will love it more w/ a lightbox!

And your lil carob balls…melted carob or choc, with oats, and no-baking….looks like a winner to me!!

Summer is sooo precious!

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 5:45 am

Averie, That is so awesome you got a new camera! I really really REALLY wanted one for Christmas, but I think it got left on Santa’s sleigh. :( So, I’m just trying to make the best of my point and shoot.

The light box was really easy to make – I had all the supplies on hand, and it took less than 30 minutes.

Ashley January 6, 2011 at 12:30 am

Yaaay the light box!! I bought 3 of the GE energy smart “instant on mini” 100 bulbs. A lower number might be a bit better, as mine are bright! Typically people put 1 light on each of the 3 sides of the box [with some sort of gooseneck lamps], but I’ve been playing around with using only 1 light. Have fun!! :)

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 5:46 am

Great – thanks Ashley. :)

Dorry January 6, 2011 at 12:33 am

She is so precious! I love seeing her personality coming through in the photos.

courtney January 6, 2011 at 1:05 am

I spent a good hour reading many of them last night… it was definitely preferential to must-see TV! As for the light box, congrats on being so industrious! I’m sure Summer will love the box in a few short months–you may have to make her one :)

Angela January 6, 2011 at 1:34 am

So, I’ve been reading your blog for a couple of months and have never commented but since you’re looking at my area of expertise I thought I might put in my two cents about light bulbs.
You want to look for bulbs that are listed as 5500 Kelvin or “Full Spectrum”. These will get you as close to overcast daylight as you can get which is what you are looking for with a lightbox.
Good luck with your new pictures and you and Summer are looking awesome. Happy New Year!

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 5:47 am

Great – thanks for your help Angela. Happy New Year to you as well! :)

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun January 6, 2011 at 6:44 am

YAY! I made a lightbox a week or so ago…I used the energy-efficient daylight bulbs – 60 watts.

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Great, thanks Erika.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 6, 2011 at 7:18 am

Oh. My. Gosh. That embarassing moment is way too funny. I would be absolutely mortified if I did that in front of my students!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 6, 2011 at 7:29 am

I hear ya…I need better lighting for these early dark days. I saw on another blog that there is something called “day lights”, but I haven’t been able to find them yet. Great job on getting in those workouts! So glad the little angel is cooperating! She is so darn cute!

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 6, 2011 at 7:32 am

I have seen these lightboxes popping up everywhere! I need to make one!

Kara January 6, 2011 at 7:53 am

Summer is wearing the same PJs as my baby! My baby can’t get enough of the kitty cats on the feet :)

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Kara,
I love that sleeper, and yes, the feet are so cute. Your baby has good taste. ;)

rachael (peace, kale, and yoga) January 6, 2011 at 8:22 am

Love the summer picture:) I would try the natural light bulbs.

Baking 'n' Books January 6, 2011 at 8:34 am

Jules totally deserves the prize.

But I still want to know what the kids reactions themselves were?!! Did they bust out laughing? Let us know Jules! :)

Sami January 6, 2011 at 8:56 am

i need to get on the whoel light box project, too! by the time i get home tomake dinner at night the lighting sucks!

your little carob balls loook delish! and summer is such a dolL!

xo.

Annie@stronghealthyfit January 6, 2011 at 9:07 am

I haven’t had carob in awhile, and you’re making me crave it!
PS- Summer is one stunning baby.

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Thanks Annie. :)

brandi January 6, 2011 at 9:15 am

oh my goodness, she is so adorable! Those big eyes – too cute :)

Cat ~ The Verdant Life January 6, 2011 at 9:24 am

I built a lightbox over the winter holidays as well and have been using 60watt daylight bulbs with good results. I’m considering switching to 75watt daylight bulbs in the very near future, so that’s what I would recommend!

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Thanks Cat!

Evan Thomas January 6, 2011 at 9:33 am

Great job on the lightbox! For the lightbulbs use daylight bulbs. They have a natural and white color that works for food well. And for the background/foreground, I’ve just grabbed and used whatever cloth is around, usually in the form of t-shirts(CD must have a ton of race shirts he doesn’t wear). White posterboard makes for a great neutral background.

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Evan,
Thanks, and yes, we have PLENTY of t-shirts around our house. :)

Steph - VegFortWorth January 6, 2011 at 9:36 am

Yum! Those balls look wonderful!

Melissa B. January 6, 2011 at 9:37 am

Heather- I just received my fitness challenge yesterday, and started the exercises last night. The leg workout is killer, and my legs felt like jello! I’m looking forward to see how long I can hold the elbow plank tonight, as I’ve never timed it. I am super stoked to be a part of Team HEAB, and I will give it my all!

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Melissa,
Yay, so glad you joined us and good luck with plank! I just finished today’s workout. Mountain Climbers kill me every time. :)

Ana January 6, 2011 at 9:37 am

Summer is too cute, she looks a lot like you Heather!
Those carob balls sounds so delicious, I want to make some too!

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I know you would love those balls. Whenever I combine pumpkin and carob, I think of you. :)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 6, 2011 at 9:53 am

That box is quite a contraption! I can’t believe how much Summer is growing already–her face is changing a lot. Gorgeous!

Stephanie January 6, 2011 at 10:00 am

Summer….soooo cute! I think she looks like both of you but maybe that’s because you sort of resemble one another. :)

I’m definitely going to need to make one of those light boxes. Night photography is tricky.

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Stephanie,
Yes, that’s what everyone says – that CD and I look alike, and so I guess we’ll be one of those families where everyone looks alike. As much I want Summer to stay little, I can’t wait to see what she looks like in a few years. :)

Rach January 6, 2011 at 10:46 am

Whoa! I’m excited to see how the lightbox works out!

Natalia - a side of simple January 6, 2011 at 11:35 am

I’m obsessed with Summer’s hair. I hope that doesn’t sound stalkerish. :)

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Natalia,
Not at all – I love her hair too. :)

Amy at TheSceneFromMe January 6, 2011 at 12:42 pm

A light box is another fab idea! I’d love to make one. But then would have to figure out where to store it at. Or maybe I should save the box for moving!
BUt taking pictures in low light and night is so difficult.

It just started snowing here! Bummer, since I just got my car washed.

Have a great day :)

Katherine: Unemployed January 6, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Jules: too funny!

the fact that you’re doing the light box to take better pics totally makes me respect you more as a blogger. it shows how much you care! :)

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Katherine,
I’m trying. I read some of these other blogs, and I have total photo envy. ;)

melissa @ the delicate place January 6, 2011 at 1:05 pm

i’d use full spectrum bulbs and stay away from anything with too yellow of a light cast. mmmm carob balls. guess who welcomed back gluten free oats to her diet. it’s my only grain but it’s so comforting!

HEAB January 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Melissa,
Oh good. I tried life without grains, and I was miserable. Glad oats are back in your life!

janetha @ meals and moves January 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm

i need to find time to build my light box! i have been meaning to. i use daylight bulbs. LOVE YOU!

Nicole January 6, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Hmmm a light box…the light in my house is terrible too. I’ll have to inquire via email about this concoction.

Summer looks so content in her chair!! So cute! XOXO

Marina January 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Lightbox sounds so cool to me :)
And Summer as always looks adorable

Maren January 6, 2011 at 5:37 pm

hahaha that is hilarious!! I did read a few of them yesterday and I was also dying!! p.s. gotta go make these balls NOW!!! :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm

You know, I always though lightboxes were for profressional food bloggers and that I’d never really need one..but I can definitely see why they’d be a grea thing to have around.

BroccoliHut January 6, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Seriously jealous of Summer’s leopard jammies:)

Heather January 7, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I think there may need to be a light box project this weekend. I’m so curious to see the difference it makes with my pics. I bought some daylight bulbs the other day and messed around with them a bit, but they were equivalent to 60 watts and I think I need 40. It just seemed too bright.

I’m loving the workouts for Team HEAB! I was horribly sore the first day, but since then it’s been great! Definitely helping improve my mood this week…work has been super stressful!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Heather,
Yes, that first workout just about did me in, but I’m feeling much better. Today’s didn’t seem so tough. I think I need some heavier weights.

The light box was so easy to make – took less than 30 minutes. Now all I need are some daylight bulbs. I’ve heard to buy 60 or 75 watts. Hopefully they won’t be too bright with the box, but I might get a few 40 watt as well.

Chelsea January 8, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Hi Heather,

Love your carob recipes, but wondered if the carob chips you purchase were sweetened or unsweetened? Thanks :)

HEAB January 8, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Chelsea,
I’ve bought both, but I prefer the taste of the unsweetened. Sunspire brand is my favorite. Glad you’ve enjoyed the recipes. :)

{ 3 trackbacks }