Oat Groats On The Go

by HEAB on January 6, 2011

Look what Chocolate Covered Katie made for me for my birthday…

IMG_7013.JPG IMG_7014.JPG

Carob Chip Cookie Dough Babies

Thanks Katie. They are delicious, and that was so thoughtful. Love you. :)

Since my meals are usually pretty rushed these days (Summer seems to always wake up as soon as I sit down to eat), I’ve just been putting grains in the rice cooker early in the morning and grabbing a bowlful whenever I have time. I just keep the cooker on warm, and my cooked grains stay nice and toasty for several hours.

I usually cook brown rice or quinoa for savory dishes such as…

Brown rice with butter, turkey, and brewer’s yeast

However, today I tried something new…

A few months back, I bought oat groats to make oatgurt but never got around to it. So, this morning, I decided to try cooking the groats in the rice cooker. I added 3 cups water and a pinch of salt to one cup raw oat groats. A little while later, the house was filled with a slightly sweet aroma, and once the oats were done cooking, I mixed about a cup of them with a little water and some vanilla rice protein powder. I topped the mix with Artisana macadamia nut butter and lots of cinnamon. I loved the cooked oat groats – they were so chewy, although next time, I think I’ll skip the protein powder as this bowl was a little too sweet for me.

Do you own a rice cooker? Mine is an inexpensive one from Target, and I’ve had it for about 10 years. Definitely one of my favorite appliances.

Stephanie January 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Don’t own one yet…but should definitely look into one! Now if only I had some more counter space! Those carob balls look great!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 8:12 am

Stephanie,
Not a fan of counter top clutter either and keep my rice cooker hidden away in a cabinet when not in use. :)

Picky Nicky January 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I don’t have a rice cooker :( I make all my grains on the stove-top! It’s time consuming sometimes (between the rinsing and stirring) but I love grains so much that it’s worth it! :) By the way, I also tried the macadamia butter from Artisana and thought it was just lovely! Definitely a unique nut butter!
And Katie is so sweet for sending you that :) Especially with the cute wrapping!

ruth January 6, 2011 at 6:39 pm

soak or not soak
let them cook on their own overnight in a thermos.

better:
if you heat the thermos first but not necessary.

Kelly January 6, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Oh yes a rice cooker is a must!! We use ours at least 2 or 3 times a week. Love it!

Liz (its a cupcake world) January 6, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I’ve got a rice cooker but I’ll admit, I’ve never thought of cooking anything else but rice in it… I’ll have to try some other grains!

Courtney January 6, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Yum! I don’t own a rice cooker, but I love love love brown rice and would love to get one! :)

Little Bookworm January 6, 2011 at 5:44 pm

So sweet of Katie to send you those fudge babies! I don’t have a rice cooker, but the oat groat dish looks interesting. Hope you have a great day Heather!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 6, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Both of those look amazing. I’ve got brown rice on the brain now!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 6, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I loooove my rice cooker! I just got one for Christmas to take to college and it has already become my second appendage.

Katherine: Unemployed January 6, 2011 at 6:01 pm

What great sized and healthy bites for a birthday! YUM

Evan Thomas January 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I love my rice cooker for making quinoa. I foresaw myself using it a lot so I went and bought a Zoriyushi. It’s pricey but so worth it.

Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) January 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Heab, I first want to say I would love those Healthy sounding dessert balls you had for dinner. Second thing I wanted to say is I held my plank today for 2 minutes and 7 seconds. I am going to do it again tomorrow to see if I can go longer. Thank you for the challenge (http://ashandlewplus2.com/2011/01/01/280-days-to-a-new-me-lew-that-is/)
Lew

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 8:11 am

Lew,
2 minutes and 7 seconds – that’s awesome…and the competitive person in me now wants to beat you. Hehe. ;)

Lew January 7, 2011 at 8:15 am

I know we are going to get along. If u beat me u know what I will have to do. I am going to have Ashlee video it.
Lew

Melissa B. January 7, 2011 at 8:54 am

I got to 2 minutes and 38 seconds last night in my elbow plank! My fiance timed it and laughed at me (while my cats rubbed up against my face the whole time)! The funny thing is- I then challenged the fiance to try it, and he could only do it for 18 seconds (he does not workout at all)! Needless to say, I had a huge grin on my face and swaggered around for the next five minutes or so :)

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 10:12 am

Melissa,
Haha – that is great! Bet that shut him up. ;)

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 10:11 am

Lew,
Ha! It’s on. ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 6, 2011 at 6:25 pm

My mother-in-law got me a rice cooker for Christmas and now I am dying to pull it out! I want to cook my steel cut oats in it. This looks yummy as always.

Katie January 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I used to have one, but I still burned rice all the time. Now, for as often as I eat rice, I don’t think I need another kitchen appliance. Its starting to get a little crowded in there.

ruth January 6, 2011 at 6:42 pm

i cook rice in the oven in a pan,
never burns
cover with foil – hate the foil
use a pyrex dish with matching cover better.

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I have a $15 rice cooker from Target. Hasn’t let me down yet ;)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I have a rice cooker my brother got me for Christmas two years ago. I use it for oats and veggies more than rice but I sure do love it!

Christin@purplebirdblog January 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm

How big is your rice cooker? Mine is a teeny thing but I love it so! One of my most used kitchen appliances, definitely. I’ve never purchased or done anything with oat groats, but I might have to change that… namely because I could say oat groat all day long. Oat groat. Oat groat. Oat groat!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 8:09 am

Christin,
I’m not sure, but it’s not one of the smaller ones. It’s a pretty good size, and yes, oat groat is rather fun to say, but not as fun as “oatgurt” in my opinion. :)

VeggieGirl January 6, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Katie is so sweet!!

Love the rice dishes!

Moni'sMeals January 6, 2011 at 6:35 pm

How sweet of Katie! Happy belated. :)
I don’t have a rice cooker…thinking about it. It is just one extra thing that takes up space is my big issue. :) But your fabulous meal here is changing my mind…

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 8:08 am

Moni,
Yeah, I do not like clutter on my kitchen counters and keep the rice cooker hidden in a cabinet when not in use.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 6, 2011 at 6:53 pm

As we’ve chatted about, I dont own a rice cooker. I still need to pick up at Target el cheapo model and just give it a whirl. I also dont own a food proc! I own a Vita so that’s all I really need…but….I want to make Heab-inspired coconut butter with the 5 gallon pail of coconut flakes I have and I think i should use a food proc rather than a Vita for that per your trial and error.

Oh and your comment reply to me yesterday about Santa forgetting your Dslr…well your pics are and always have been gorgeous! That macro shot of the carob baby, is perfect! And the carob babies look pretty darn awesome too. Katie’s a sweetheart. And so are you! :)

chocolate-covered katie January 6, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Wha?? You don’t have a DSLR? But HEAB, I’ve always admired your photos and thought they were some of the prettiest in the blogworld. No joke. Remember that protein ice cream guest post you did for me? Yeah, I had no words. The photos were just unreal. So I can’t even imagine how awesome your photos would be if you DID have a DSLR. Maybe there’s a reason you don’t: the rest of the blogworld wouldn’t be able to compete! (Not that we can compete with your awesomeness anyways ;) .)
Anyway, I’m glad you liked the carob babies… they gave me an excuse to go to Whole Foods.
“But I HAVE to go to Whole Foods to buy carob for Heather.” Poor me, being forced to spend time in that awful place filled with yummy foods.

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 8:06 am

Aww, thanks so much Katie. This makes me feel so much better about my photos! Carob babies are sooo good. Could not stay out of them last night. :)

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 8:07 am

Thanks Averie. Makes me feel much better about my photos. :)
And yes, as much as I love the Vita, my food processor is a close 2nd.

jen @ taste life January 6, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I don’t own a rice cooker, but it would be awesome! I do love oat groats, and even succesfully made oatgurt a few times this summer when the house was super warm!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 8:00 am

Jen,
Oatgurt! I love it, and it’s been too long since I’ve made it. Don’t know why either. Just got lazy I guess. :)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) January 6, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I don’t personally own a rice cooker, but my mom does, so I use hers. :) I never make rice without it after I burned a batch of rice I tried to cook in a pan (the grains were soooo hard and the taste reminded me strongly of charcoal). I’ve never cooked oats in it before (not yet………). Your oats look so creamy!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 6, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I just got a rice cooker for Christmas and I love it! It is actually a rice cooker+slow cooker+steamer in one. Very cool.

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey January 6, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Oh, Katie is such a sweetheart. I sure love her!!

I wish I had a rice cooker, cause I have some oat groats in my pantry that I have yet to touch. I’m not really sure what to do with them! Your post has inspired me though, so thank you. :)

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 7:59 am

Kelsey,
Here is a non rice-cooker method for using oat groats. They make a wonderful oatmeal: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/09/28/asian-fusion-oats/

Dea January 6, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I lived in Korea in my early 20s for a couple of years and learned to cook a mean pot of rice there, so I’ve never really used a rice cooker. I do have one though, I bought it so I could cook oat groats overnight, however when I woke up it made a horrible splattery mess everywhere, so it’s back in the cupboard. So I wonder if I did something wrong? What do you think? I should take it out and give it another try, after all it does take up a lot of real estate in my cupboards!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 7:57 am

Dea,
Hmm, not sure why it didn’t work. I did have a minor explosion with teff once but tried again, and everything worked okay. Maybe it had something to do with your oat to water ratio. I did 1 cup oats to 3 cups water – just guessed as that’s how I cook my brown rice, and the groats came out perfect. I say give it another go. :)

lindsay January 6, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I’ve seen that at target. Is it worth? we cook a lots of oats, can I use it for other grains? If so, I am going to go get one ASAP! Thanks HEAB.

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 7:56 am

Lindsay,
Yes! I’ve made oats in mine as well and use it for all sorts of grains including teff, millet, etc. Love it!

Dorry January 6, 2011 at 8:21 pm

We recently got a rice cooker as a gift and we love it! We are actually using it this very minute for some Spanish rice to go with our tacos. :)

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine January 6, 2011 at 8:26 pm

love the groats idea!!
I <3 my rice cooker! I actually cook mung beans in mine too! I put the mung in with water, and add garam masala and salt and it's ready to eat when it comes out- delish dish!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 7:55 am

Sonia,
Great idea!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad January 6, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Mine is my fave appliance! It’s a pricier one – Bobby’s mom got it for us when we were still out in California. I think the brand is Sanyo. Bobby’s mom has one that plays a song when it’s done which I think is awesome :)

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 7:54 am

Maggie,
Yes, I remember seeing a photo of your rice cooker – I believe you were hugging it. :)

chocolate-covered katie January 7, 2011 at 8:11 am

Haha yes I remember those photos! Cutest ever, Maggie!!

Leslie January 6, 2011 at 8:33 pm

My rice cooker burns the rice. Sad face.

Similarly to the oat groats, have you tried this with a variety of whole grains? I’ve been eating the Kashi 7 Grain Pilaf, but you can make your own mix with out of the bulk bins at Whole Foods. Sadly, I think we have the only Whole Foods in the country without bulk bins, which is why I use the Kashi. I got the idea from Rebecca’s mom at Girls Gone Child. Love her Eat Well series.

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 7:53 am

Leslie,
No bulk bins? I’m having a sad face for you right now. :(

I haven’t tried making my own kashi, but sounds like a fun experiment. Thx!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 6, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I don’t own a rice cooker, but it is on my list to own!! I need a big food processor first!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 7:52 am

Chelsey,
Yes, the rice cooker is great, but I could not live without my food processor. It and my Vita-Mix are my two favorite appliances.

Kristine January 6, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Your sooo creative :)
I just love reading your blog!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 7:51 am

Thanks Kristine. :)

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 6, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Happy Birthday!!! How sweet of Katie to send you those ‘babies!!!

Yes, we own a rice cooker — it is such a lifesaver!!!! :)

Corey @ the runners cookie January 6, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I love my rice cooker! It’s a basic protcor silex and works great for quinoa and other grains as well.

Tangy @ A Taste of Tangy January 6, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Finally! I can get to a computer screen and see all this carob mania I’ve been reading about on my phone! LOL You’ve got me so intrigued! And happy belated birthday!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 7:51 am

Tangy,
Missed you. Yes, lots of carob love going on around here these days. :)

Gina January 6, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I don’t have a rice cooker. I find that I usually make quinoa or barley before brown rice. Idk why though?

Those oatgroats look so yummmy :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit January 6, 2011 at 10:04 pm

A Rice cooker is high up on the list of Kitchen Things my husband and I would like to have. It sounds luxurious!

Hannah January 6, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I can’t help laughing – rice cookers are a bone of contention in my family! My brother, who lived in Japan for years, swears by them, and my mum refuses to admit they’re helpful :P

Oh, if only I hadn’t finished up my batch of homemade maple macadamia butter, I could recreate your recipe! Shall have to made do with the walnut coconut butter I blogged about yesterday :)

caronae January 6, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I think they make unflavored/unsweet protein powders, right?

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 7:50 am

Caronae,
Yeah, but I’m really not eating the protein powder for the protein. I just really like the taste – I know, that’s kind of weird. However, for some reason, it was just too sweet with the oat groats.

Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 6, 2011 at 10:18 pm

a rice cooker is definitely going on my wedding registry! they look like a such a convenient kitchen item!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos January 6, 2011 at 10:44 pm

hahaha i just made macadamia nut butter two days ago!! (http://juniakk.blogspot.com/2011/01/hawaiian-macadamia-nut-butter.html) seriously i think our cravings are similar. and i love using a pressurized rice cooker; you can do so much with it. :D

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 7:49 am

Junia,
Great minds think alike. :)

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast January 6, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Oh my Heather, I’m so going to have to try oat groats! You turned me on to oat bran and here you go again. I bought buckwheat groats for sprouting, but didn’t always have the time to sprout them so I tried them in the rice cooker and they were great. I’m sure oat groats are even better. Thanks for being a constant source of inspiration!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 2:22 am

Emily, you’re welcome. The oat groats were good – loved that chew, but oat bran will always be my fav. :)

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 6, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I do not own a rice cooker, but I would like to invest in one at some point! Such a great item to own!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous@ January 6, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I don’t, but I think I might need one!! I have never heard of oat groat. It sounds so interesting!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog January 7, 2011 at 12:56 am

Better or worse than VitaMix on your appliance love list?

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 2:21 am

S, The Vita-Mix will always be #1 on my list! :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 7, 2011 at 1:57 am

I have a small rice cooker, I think it might be from Target. My hubby bought it for me last xmas. I should use it more often! I’m just so darn reluctant to give up kitchen counter real estate, though, LOL.

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 2:19 am

Jenn,
I know. I keep our rice cooker in a cabinet while it’s not in use as I don’t like cluttering up my countertops with appliances either.

Lorne January 7, 2011 at 4:07 am

Heather, rice cookers, my speciality!!! We have a Korean stovetop rice cooker that is the bomb! It cooks rice to perfection, so much better than an electric rice cooker (been there done that with several brands). I can’t sing the praises of my cooker enough, it was one of the first things that we packed for our move to NZ to make sure it got here in time for us arriving. I use it every single day as it also is great for pressure cooking other yummies like sweet potato or casserole meats.

We add dried beans, walnuts, chestnuts and other grains to our rice. These need to be soaked for 1/2 day before adding to the rice. Yum yum yum :0)

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 7:48 am

Lorne,
I’m not familiar with a stovetop rice cooker. I’ll have to do a little research, and I love the idea of adding walnuts and chestnuts. Yum, that sounds divine! :)

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 7, 2011 at 4:47 am

Oooh those look really yum! Do you think it would work with buckwheat? I have some sitting in my cupboard but not sure what to do with it yet. I often add protein powder to my oats but it does sometimes make it too sweet, I agree! Some brands are worse than others though…

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 7:39 am

Gill,
Yes, I’m sure it would. I cook all my grains in the rice cooker. Enjoy! :)

Meagan January 7, 2011 at 8:46 am

I always thought that rice cookers had to be super expensive and good quality to really work… now I know you CAN really buy a cheaper one. I don’t usually eat grains, but it would work if I ever needed one.

Ana January 7, 2011 at 8:48 am

I don’t have a rice cooker. To be quite true, I grew up eating rice every single day, for lunch and dinner (rice and beans are a staple in Brazil…), and I have never been that crazy for rice. My dads absolutely loves rice and will eat it with everything, and I mean everything, with pasta, polenta, meat, you name it, some of his combination are totally weird.
My mom always cooked white rice, which I really never cared for, so as an adolescent I would buy brown rice and make it for me. It is funny how back then my mom and dad would turn their nose to it and say brown rice was food for diabetics, now my mom eats brown rice, but my dads only eats white.
After I moved out of my paren’ts house I had this amazing freedom of not needing to eat rice everyday! haha!
I do make brown rice a couple days during the week because it is a nice grain to have with our meals, and both my husband and my son like it. But to be quite true I rarely eat it. I much prefer barley, wheat berries or quinoa! I like the nutty taste of those grains (and that’s why I always liked brown rice better, it is kinda nutty!)
Anyways, I told you my rice history! I don’t own a rice cooker, and I don’t think I would use it much if I had one. Maybe except to make oats and other grains! :-)

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 10:17 am

Ana,
Yes, I agree. Brown rice tastes better. Love that nutty taste. My favorite is brown basmati. Smells so sweet when it’s cooking.

Kara January 7, 2011 at 8:50 am

Isn’t it funny how babies always know to wake up when you want to eat a hot meal? It must be the same gift that telemarketers have to know when to call :)

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 10:16 am

Kara,
Happens every time to the point where CD and I just laugh now. I’ve gotten used to it.

Sarah January 7, 2011 at 8:57 am

“Mmmmm….” to what you did with those groats?
Where do you buy your rice protein powder from? It looks like Jay Robb no longer makes it:(.

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 10:15 am

Sarah,
I stocked up on Jay Robb before I left my last job since I got it at cost, but yeah, from what I’ve heard, Jay is no longer selling it. I would recommend Sun Warrior: http://www.sunwarrior.com. Love their chocolate!

Sarah January 7, 2011 at 10:24 am

I didn’t mean to put that first question mark in my last comment!
Thank you for the tip. I am just about to check out Sun Warrior now:-).

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 7, 2011 at 9:08 am

I LOVE my rice cooker. I inherited mine from my mom, I think it was about 30 bucks at Marshalls. SO worth it! I use it all the time for all different grains! I did buckwheat last night for dinner :)

xo

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 7, 2011 at 9:30 am

I never saw the point of a rice cooker. I mean, if I can cook rice on the stove then why bother with yet another space-consuming appliance in my kitchen.

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 10:14 am

Samantha,
It just makes cooking grains so easy. Add grain, add water, hit on and walk away. It clicks off when done and then keeps the rice, etc. warm for hours. Love my rice cooker!

Sami January 7, 2011 at 9:31 am

mmm! those groats sound awesome! i love sweet stuff, so it sounds like a perfect recipe to me! i wonder if i could use my crock pot since i don’t have a rice cooker?!

xo

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 10:13 am

Sami,
I’m sure you could. Never tried it but I know others have.

brandi January 7, 2011 at 9:39 am

I still have yet to make oatgurt, but I do LOVE cooked oat groats! They have such a great texture.

Fallon January 7, 2011 at 10:23 am

I love my rice cooker. It’s a small red one and I love it! Cooks all my grains beautifully and so easy. You set it and forget it till its done.

Heather January 7, 2011 at 1:01 pm

My rice cooker is also ten years old and still gets regular use in my house. Definitely one of my faves, too. Though I’ve never cooked anything but rice and quinoa in mine. I’m not even sure what groats are, but your meal sounds delicious!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Heather,
From the Internet:
Oat groats are whole, minimally processed oats. Because they have not been extensively processed, they retain a high nutritional value, and they can be used in a variety of ways. However, they also take a long time to prepare and cook, requiring hours of soaking and cooking before they are usable. Many markets carry oat groats, often in the cereal section or in the bulk area, if the market sells things in bulk. :)

Heather January 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm

No rice cooker for me. Usually, I’ll just whip up a big batch on the stovetop on Sunday to get me through the week!

Those groats look great! I bought some to make oatgurt too, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Checked out your Asian Fusion Oats and now I wanna try that!

Rach January 7, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Those cookie dough babies look delightful!

kathleen January 7, 2011 at 10:17 pm

my son does the same thing it’s like he knows when i’m eating and thinks it’s unfair and needs to eat too!

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly January 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm

YES! I just got one for Christmas based on what Emily wrote about on Daily Garnish. :-) I got the less expensive of the two she suggested, and it is so wonderful. Though now that I think about it, I have not cooked rice once yet. Just lots of oatmeal. It’s the Zojirushi NS-TGC10 Micom 5-1/2-Cup Rice Cooker and Warmer. <3

Tanya January 17, 2011 at 10:23 am

I LOVE my Zojirushi rice cooker!! I use it several times a week. Mostly to cook brown rice and my oat groats (which I eat every morning). I’d love to cook other stuff in there….