Oat Bran 101

by HEAB on January 7, 2011

A reader emailed me yesterday requesting I do a post about my beloved oat bran. So, here goes.

My favorite way to eat oat bran is plain and topped with nut butter…

img_1560.jpg

To make it, I simply add 1 cup water to 1/2 cup oat bran in a pot on the stovetop and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, I reduce the heat to medium and then stir until it reaches my desired consistency – usually only takes about a minute or two. The oat bran is pretty plain tasting, but I prefer it that way.

However, there are times when I like a little boost of flavor…

img_2196.jpg

Chia Protein Oat Bran

img_2080.jpg

Or how about a savory bowl: Oat bran blended with spinach and topped with an egg and raw cashew cheese

img_1348.jpg

Blueberry Cobbler Oat Bran

img_1340.jpg

Apple Pie Oat Bran: Oat bran cooked with butter and a chopped apple and topped with cinnamon and almond butter.

img_5608.jpg

Overnight chia protein oats topped with HEABified Magic Shell

img_1333.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake Oat Bran

Speaking of strawberry shortcakes…

Summer says Hi.

So, there you have it folks. Oat bran 101. Just be glad I spared you any photos from my cauliflower oat phase. Really, what was I thinking?!? ;)

Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) January 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

I have never tried oat bran! But I really, really want to when I can find some!

Summer is just so adorable in that cute little strawberry outift!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Kayla,
Quaker Oat Bran is my favorite – look for it the hot cereal aisle at your local grocery store.

jen @ taste life January 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

I want to eat Summer much more than the oat bran!!! She is so stinking adorable. It doesn’t help that I just got back from a trip where I got spend tons of time playing “aunt” to an eight-month old…baby fever is raging!

Christin@purplebirdblog January 7, 2011 at 10:59 am

Okay, savory oats usually squick me out, but your bowl looks amazing. Did you blend the spinach in with an immersion blender? I need one of those things bad. And oh-em-geeeeeeee Summer is an absolute DOLL. Looks a lot like her sweet mama. :)

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Christin,
I blended the spinach in the Vita-Mix. However, Polly always did it with her immersion blender. I liked doing in the Vita b/c it completely obliterated the spinach. The thought of spinach chunks in my oats kind of makes me want to gag.

Christin@purplebirdblog January 7, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I also need one of those things (Vita-Mix) BAD! ;)

Heather January 7, 2011 at 11:06 am

That’s the cutest little strawberry shortcake I’ve ever seen! ;)

That oat bran wtih spinach looks beeeeeeautiful! I had me some oat bran this morning topped with coffee flavored Arctic Zero, coconut, and carob chips! You were so right…the combo of warm oat bran and cold ice cream can’t be beat!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Heather, I know, right? LOVE LOVE LOVE ice-cream + oat bran. Can’t believe I forgot to include it in this post! :(

Christin@purplebirdblog January 7, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Hahahhah you go girl!! I’m glad you went for it! :)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 7, 2011 at 11:09 am

A second the desire to eat Summer! She looks so cute and cuddly. She’s way more interesting than oat bran! :-)

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Thanks Elizabeth – I think so too. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 7, 2011 at 11:09 am

I love the smirk on Summer’s face! Too cute! I am not sure I have ever met anyone that loves oats in any form as much as I do…until I met you! Seriously, is there really a bad way to eat oats? It may not be pretty, but the cauliflower is good!

Stephanie January 7, 2011 at 11:09 am

I have some Bob Mill’s oat bran saved in the cupboard for next month. Can’t wait to try it. Summer is so stinking cute.

Katie January 7, 2011 at 11:11 am

Heather, I was an oat bran virgin until you started posting about it, and now I eat it at least a few times a week. Blended with spinach? I think you were channeling your inner Katie!

Except my laziness means I make my oat bran in the microwave. That’s just one bowl to wash. ;)

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Katie,
You’re not lazy. Whenever I cook oats in the micro, I ALWAYS burn my tongue. :(

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 7, 2011 at 11:22 am

Omg I remember your cauli oats phase. It seems like a LIFETIME ago! I like these oats much better :) And I am thinking that Summer wouldnt be too into the cauli since she seems to be not super found of the cruciferous veggies.

She is SUCH an adorable Strawberry Shortcake in that pic….oh, how precious!

Do people say she looks like CD? In that pic, I think she does…but…I think all babies resemble their dad’s more when they are younger. As the mom, I was the one who went through pregnancy and childbirth, so of course I want my kid to look more like me. lol

Have a great weekend Heather!! :)

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Averie,
We hear both – some say Summer looks like me and other say CD, but then everyone tells us that CD and I look alike – so who knows? :) Happy weekend to you as well!

Little Bookworm January 7, 2011 at 11:24 am

Love all the photos of the oat bran. I have never tried oat bran, only rolled oats!

Cindy January 7, 2011 at 11:30 am

JEEEEPERS she’s so pretty!

LOVE that HAIR and her eyes are always wide open!

oh, and the oatbran is NOM too!

oxoxox

S @ extremebalance.net/blog January 7, 2011 at 11:33 am

I can’t manage cooked oatmeal because of a texture issue—and I suspect I’d feel the same way about oat bran: can you describe it? Smoother and creamier than oatmeal, or still offendingly lumpy? :)

Without every having laid eyes on you or CD, I still think I can see both of you in Summer. Is that creepy and weird, or have you heard that from others?

Happy Friday!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm

S,
Oat bran is my favorite cooked grain. Definitely smoother and creamier than rolled oats, and I love to make mine super thick, and no not creepy at all – we have been told Summer looks like both of us, but then again, most people think CD and I look alike. :)

Kristy @ KristyRuns January 7, 2011 at 11:33 am

I had no idea oat bean could be so diverse! The blueberry cobbler one looks amazing!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 7, 2011 at 11:39 am

Yay! Oats post! I just had 1/4 cup of plain oats mixed with a whole mashed up banana and a half packet of Justin’s chocolate BP blend. Y.U.M.!!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Amalfi,
Yum indeed. Enjoy more of that chocolate for me! :)

VeggieGirl January 7, 2011 at 11:41 am

Never had oatbran before, can you believe it?!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm

VG – you should be ashamed of yourself! Just kidding, but you can order gluten free oat bran online. I dare ya to try it. :)

Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 7, 2011 at 11:45 am

i love the sneaky summer photo at the bottom! :)

i like putting oat bran in with my oats mix (overnight oats and hot stove top oats). you really can’t tell it’s there, but i like to keep some regular rolled oats in my mix for a little more bulk. i’ve never loved the consistency of plain oats. your different variations look delicious though!

Nina January 7, 2011 at 11:47 am

I don’t think I’ve ever had oatbran..is the consistency similar to oatmeal?

Summer is SO precious. I can’t get enough! :)

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Nina,
No, it’s smoother and creamier than rolled oats – not as “chewy”, and I love to make mine super thick. I find it much more filling.

Sara January 7, 2011 at 11:52 am

Summer is super cute! I love all her hair. My nieces and nephew had a ton of hair when they were born. They looked like tiny people instead of little babies. :)

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 7, 2011 at 11:55 am

Thanks for the post! I am an oatmeal kind of guy, but I will give oat bran a shot soon ;)

aylin @ glowkitchen January 7, 2011 at 11:58 am

green eggs and oat bran (but switched). They all look delicious!!!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Aylin,
Hehe – right! :)

Ann @ Day By Day January 7, 2011 at 11:58 am

Thanks for the oat bran ideas! I’m also a huge fan of oat bran. I just bought a bunch of it from the bulk bins at Whole Foods. I usually just do it with banana, almond milk, chia seeds and a spoonful of almond butter but I’ve gotten kind of bored with that lately! I’ll try some of your ways!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos January 7, 2011 at 11:58 am

hi Summer! :)

i’ve never thought about savory oat bran before! nice. i sometimes mix mine with chocolate protein powder!

Lauren at KeepItSweet January 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm

LOVE the pictures of Summer!

kristi (sweet cheeks) January 7, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I adore oatbran and really, I love it best when it’s plain, too. It’s so filling which is always a plus with my big appetite!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Kristi,
I agree. I find oat bran so much more filling than rolled oats.

sarah January 7, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Love oat bran since you started posting about it! Got my sister in law hooked on it while in NYC over the holidays. It’s so quick and the texture is nice and smooth and creamy.
Summer is too cute–could that be an empty oat bran bowl in the backround of the pic? :)
Thanks for all your inspiration, after your rice cooker post, I’m going out to get one this weekend!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Sarah,
Ha – yes! Good observation regarding the bowl. Thank so much for reading and for spreading the love of oat bran. Enjoy your rice cooker! :)

Dorry January 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I was just about to say that Strawberry shortcake oat bran looks so good when there Summer appeared in her strawberry outfit! SO CUTE.

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie January 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm

That savoury bowl looks pretty awesome, with the egg on top! What a lovely Strawberry Shortcake photo :)

lindsay January 7, 2011 at 12:35 pm

oh delicious. I like mine with nutritional yeast and ketchup. Okay and maybe some avocado on top. It tastes good to me! ;)
LC

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Linsday,
Yum, that sounds good to me too!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 7, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I love how vibrant the green savory ones are! Yum!

Summer is adorable as ever :-)

Rachel (tea and chocolate) January 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I remember the cauliflower oat bran phase. How funny! I think I first read about oat bran on your blog, and now I eat at least once a week. :)

That is the cutest baby outfit!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I’ve never had oat bran, but I don’t think I can have it because of gluten!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Chelsey,
I know they sell gluten free oat bran online.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Wow look at all those creative ways to eat oat bran! I can’t decide which looks best; they all look amazing.
And Summer is just so cute. Thanks for sharing pictures of your sweetie!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Maryea,
Welcome. Glad you enjoy them. :)

Disturbed January 7, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Summer is so cute.

I have actually never tried oat bran, so I might have to next time I go to the store. I don’t really like the taste of plain oats, so I will have to figure out a way to make them.

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Disturbed,
Add a little maple syrup or something else to sweeten the mix – the possibilities are endless – PB & J, coconut and chocolate, vanilla bean paste, nuts, dried fruit. Have fun! :)

PBJenny January 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm

what a beautiful ode to oat bran :) !! I wonder if Summer will like it when she begins eating solid foods!??!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm

PBJenny,
I sure hope so! :)

melissa January 7, 2011 at 1:10 pm

YAY for this post! I was at the store earlier–for a quick pharmacy trip–one of my little guys has pink eye :( well I was grabbing some juice and looked quickly at the oat bran–they don’t sell it everywhere here and I had been looking for it for a while! I made a mental note to pick it up when I was actually grocery shopping aka not in the race car cart at Kroger with a pink eye kid and a 6 mo old–fyi-antibacterial wiped the cart after use! Thanks for the ideas can’t wait pick some up during my “me” time–grocery shopping later! Also Summer has the most beautiful hair! Hope your enjoying mommahood!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Thanks Melissa, and I hope you enjoy some oat bran soon. Sorry about the pink eye – hope he’s feeling better. :(

Courtney (greeneyedrunner) January 7, 2011 at 1:37 pm

omg, you make the most amazing breakfast concoctions! and look at those wide-open eyes, she looks so intelligent!

Baking 'n' Books January 7, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Do you like oatmeal? I have oatbran, but like the bigger flakes and consistency of oatmeal I think.

I vote for the apple pie creation!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 7, 2011 at 2:24 pm

That looks really creamy and delicious! Especially the blueberry. I really might try this instead of oatmeal tomorrow.

Katie January 7, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Summer is so dang cute!
Oat bran…om nom nommmmm

Namaste Gurl January 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I recently made a savory hummus- grits- oat bran concoction and it was super yummy indeed. I thought I’d miss my usual nut butter and fruit oats, but no ma’am I did not!
Summer looks so healthy and super precious :-)
Have a good day, HEAB!

Kara January 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I love Summer’s hair! Too cute :)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I used to eat oat bran almost every morning.. I totally forgot about how much I loved it!

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion) January 7, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Summer looks ALOT like CD in this picture!! She is so cute!

Amber from Berlinswhimsy January 7, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Wow, Summer is SUCH cutie!!

I love my oat bran, too. I take the easy route and just microwave it (with water, of course). :-)

Avery (Young Aspirations) January 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I can NOT get over how beautiful Summer is! :) Such a pretty baby!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Thanks Avery. :)

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Heabified Magic Shell!? Yes please! I used to LOVE that stuff.

Also, Summer’s just adorable!

emma January 7, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Wow! I’m impressed with all your oat bran varations. Very creative! xx

lorne January 7, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Remember my wee promise to myself NOT to look at HEAB at breakfast time??? ;0) I did it again and I find yummy looking pictures of oats. I have NEVER in my life eaten savoury oats and now I am feeling challenged to do something about that. I am a little nervous, wish me luck

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Lorne,
Don’t be nervous. Savory oats are soooo yummy! :)

Alina January 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Hmmmm, yet this cauliflower “rice pudding” bowl seems so yummy http://xemasreflections.blogspot.com/2010/09/test.html … I am so tempted to make it…

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Alina,
Hmm, now that does look good! Love the idea of frying the cashews and raisins – bet they would taste amazing cooked in coconut oil!

Alina January 7, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Yes, I think I am making this tonight -I’ll use coconut milk and stevia instead. Also some saffron and grass fed ghee and OAT BRAN. I just discovered that grass fed ghee IS heaven itself :P

Fi January 7, 2011 at 4:30 pm

This post couldn’t have come at a better time, I’ve been craving oats like mad lately and am afraid to have the sand brekkie combo for lunch and dinner in case I don’t want it for breakfast! I like the avocado idea! How about stirfriedmungbeans carrots, arame, cabbage and pak choi! On top of oat bran, Japanese veggie oat bran! X

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Fi,
Wow, I like the way you think. Sounds delicious!

Lissa January 7, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I LOVE your Summer pics!! She is so darn cute! I wish I could give her a big hug. I have that same sleeper for Maya (Carter’s, right?) but it’s in 3-mth and something tells me this peanut is going to be in her NB clothes for a while longer ;) Anyway, I LOVED Strawberry Shortcake as a kid and when I saw that sleeper, had to have it. It looks adorable on Summer!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Lissa,
Yes, it’s Carter and one of my favorites. Summer has the 3 month size as well. Maya will be wearing before you know it. :)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) January 7, 2011 at 5:17 pm

All of your oat bran creations look amazing! I went through a phase where I ate oat bran for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I kind of still wish I was in that phase…….. ;)

Abbey January 7, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Heab! Summer is sooo cute. Love her. I like Mother’s Oat Bran, have you tried it? I was ignorant to oat bran’s existence until I started reading your blog a year ago. Really happy it’s in my life now :) I stir in a little cinnamon from Penzey’s Spices while cooking, then add a few drops of Nu Naturals (the only stevia I can find w/o the funky taste) and berries. I seriously love how it satiates my hunger for sometimes up to 7 hours!

Sarah Beth January 7, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I know people say that all babies are cute…blah blah blah…but Summer is exceptionally cute :) I love her dark features! Those bigs eyes go on forever~lucky mama!

Hannah January 7, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Love this post! I’m a dedicated fan of oatbran (and can’t really understand why anyone would prefer rolled oats :P ) and you’ve just given me so many ideas to switch things up a little! (My standard is oat bran cooked in soy milk topped with peanut butter, super dark chocolate, and maple syrup.)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 7, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I usually go for the thicker texture of oats but sometimes I flat out crave the gritty texture of oat bran. It’s much lighter and a nice change from the oats. Thanks for the 101!

carlee January 7, 2011 at 7:32 pm

EW! Cauliflour oats! You crazy woman! haha

I like my oat bran plainish too, sometimes.

Your savory oats look absolutely amazing!!

polly January 7, 2011 at 7:48 pm

hi love!
mmmmm OATBRAN. Oh my gosh, I have not had it in forever?! What is WRONG with me? I did eat a new breakfast every day this week, howevah. :D

I think my fave is TRADER JOES. Oh yes. We are currently out of blue chips and oatbran and almond meal. The 3 stables TJ’s items in the yum home. ;)

Oh Heather! Summer is just a … SHORTCAKE! She is absolutely precious. I think she looks like the perfect combo of Heather and CD. Yup. She has a little oatbran in her and a little parmesan cheese and beef. hehe. She is just plain yummy. Isn’t God so good? He just plops these little miracles into our lives and it’s crazy, no? My little miracle is very much a teenager lately. Oh my… that girl talks my leg off with all kinds of drama and stories and worries and aah! Love her. She is a bowl of fruit loops. I can’t wait to go back to oatbran. :D More consistent. ;)

LURVE YA!!! I will be eating oatbran as soon as we can get our hineys to Indy! XO (is Quaker as yum as TJ’s? as creamy? as thick?)

HEAB January 9, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Polly,
Lurve of my life. :) Yes, I love the Quaker Oat bran as much as TJ’s. It cooks up so fast – the texture of the uncooked cereal seems more fine (like its ground up more) than most other oat brans I’ve tried, and it’s not as “gritty” if that makes sense. In my opinion, it ties with TJ’s. :)

Katherine: Unemployed January 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I had no idea it was so versatile! great feature-based post

jenny January 7, 2011 at 8:09 pm

oh god. CUTEST BABYWEAR EVAR.

i’ve started eating steel-cut oats as a go-to dessert, HEABs!

Dea January 7, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Prior to reading your blog oat bran was not on my menu, except in bran muffins, now we eat it all of the time. I always add a scoop of chia to it though, ’cause I need to cool it down for the kidlets so I add a splash of something cold when it’s done, which makes it watery, then the chia firms it up again.
Also my toddler who isn’t picky but doesn’t eat much at all will always eat a double serving of my apple pie oats which is homemade apple sauce in the chia/ oat bran mix with butter, maple syrup and lots of cinnamon. It really tastes like apple pie!

lisa January 8, 2011 at 12:20 am

Holly yum!

BroccoliHut January 7, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I always like reading about how people make their oats–it seems like everyone has her own method:)

Emily Elizabeth & Kisses for Breakfast January 7, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Thanks to you I love oat bran! I have done so much with it since I first bought it. I think I’m on my 5th huge legacy valley 2 lb bag since I first tried it a few months ago!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 7, 2011 at 10:53 pm

So whats the difference between oat bran and rolled oats? Is it just the bran part of the oat groat (like wheat germ is part of the wheat kernel)?

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Kathleen,
I wrote about the difference in this post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/02/11/oat-bran-vs-rolled-oats/

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 7, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Thanks so much!! :)

haleynyc January 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm

it is crazy how much Summer looks like you and CD! she is looking more like you both every picture i see!

HEAB January 7, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Hayley,
Really, you think so? I love hearing that. :)

clare January 7, 2011 at 11:40 pm

i wanna see the cauli-oats.

HEAB January 8, 2011 at 8:45 am

Clare,
OK, you asked: Purple cauliflower oats from my original oats in a jar post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/05/11/a-jar-a-bowl-why-not-both/

clare January 9, 2011 at 11:00 am

epic! i love purple and i love cauliflower and i love oats. <3

Adam January 8, 2011 at 12:49 am

What oat bran? All I see is a ridiculously cute baby… Congratulations :D

HEAB January 8, 2011 at 8:43 am

Thanks Adam. ;)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 8, 2011 at 4:27 am

Oh my goodness, Summer looks darling!! LOVE the strawberry outfit. ADORABLE! :)

The oat bran looks great, too! hehe Summer is always going to steal the show, me thinks.

lorne January 8, 2011 at 5:15 am

I did it… and I survived ;0)

HEAB January 8, 2011 at 8:43 am

Lorne,
I knew you would. ;)

Brooke January 8, 2011 at 5:54 am

Hi! Since you pulled of pregnancy and now motherhood with such thoughtful grace I wanted to ask your opinion about something I’m sure you addressed while pregnant. What did you hear or learn about using stevia during pregnancy? I use it in baked goods and a little bit to sweeten drinks but can’t find a clear answer. What are your thoughts.
Thanks so much! Summer is beautiful and her name is so fitting.
B

HEAB January 8, 2011 at 8:42 am

Brooke,
There really hasn’t been much research done, and I often read it was probably best to avoid it. So, I tried and stopped using the packets and the vanilla drops. However, the protein powder I use is sweetened with stevia, and I did eat that while pregnant. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas January 8, 2011 at 9:39 am

Yeah, you’d have a hard time matching her outfit with cauliflower oats!

(She’s toooooo cute!!)

HEAB January 8, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Wendy,
Hehe – yeah, I would have to agree. :)

Meghan January 8, 2011 at 10:31 am

My favorite way to eat Oatbran is with to add cocoa, vanilla and some almond mill while cooking. Once done I add in blueberries, cranberries and top with cinnamon and maply syrup. So good – tastes like dessert!
Love your blog Heather! I am going to try some of your recipes!

HEAB January 8, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Thanks Meghan, and yes, your oat bran does sound really good. I think I need to try some of your recipes! ;)

Natalia - a side of simple January 8, 2011 at 10:55 am

I bet oat bran tastes that much better now with Summer snuggled up next to you in some onesie pjs. She needs her own tab…

HEAB January 8, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Natalia,
Yes, it does. A “Summer” tab – good idea. :)

Kate @ahealthypassion January 8, 2011 at 11:26 am

I have never tried oat bran before but the blueberry cobbler looks so delicious i’m definitely adding that to my list of recipes to try! Thanks for another yummy, healthy recipe.

HEAB January 8, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Kate,
You’re welcome. :)

MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan January 8, 2011 at 11:54 am

I’ve never tried it but I will I promise! You make it look so good.
And omg Summer is just precious!

Kath January 8, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I like plain oatmeal very much! I’m really into simple foods. :) But your variations look great, too!

karina January 8, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Summer is sooooo pretty!

beth January 8, 2011 at 2:33 pm

i’m experimenting regularly with oat bran since reading about it at HEAB, your suggestions and pictures are inspiring; it IS very satisfying, thank you.

HEAB January 8, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Beth,
You’re welcome. :)

Ana January 8, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Oh, I love oat bran too! I make mine like you but I add 1/2 to 3/4 cups almond milk to the oat bran as it gets thick and cook a bit more, it makes it super creeeeamy!
So many good ideas for oat bran you have here Heather. My favorite toppings are coconut butter, carob chips, and almond butter (yep, usually I add all three together…!!), total yum!
And Summer is just the cutest little shortcake princess! It looks like she has your mouth and CD’s eyes!

HEAB January 8, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Ana, So funny as CD always says she has my mouth, and your favorite bowl of oat bran sounds heavenly. I need to try your almond milk tip. Love my oat bran super thick and creamy. :)

Lola January 8, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Summer is sooo cute!!! ;)

Corey @ the runners cookie January 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Such a sweet picture! I’ve only ever tried oat bran mixed with rolled oats and flax, but I should try it on it’s own! Your blueberry cobbler version sounds great.

Allie (Nutty FlexitALLIEan) January 8, 2011 at 7:18 pm

omygosh summer is so adorable :-)

Kath January 8, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Hm, I thought I had commented already … (??) Anyway, I’m a big fan of plain oatmeal – it’s the simple pleasures that are the biggest, right? ;) But your other combination also look very yummy, especially the savory one. :D

Summer’s strawberry shirt is adorable. Such a cute little girl! :D

Cailin @ Stir Crazy January 8, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I’m also an oat bran virgin… where have I been?! Just another something to add to my list of things to try. I love all your different versions.

Loving Summer’s little shirt :) She is oh so cute!

Annie@stronghealthyfit January 8, 2011 at 10:00 pm

That’s the first pic of Summer where I can actually see a striking resemblance between her and you & CD! She is such a perfect combo of the two of you :-)

Allie (Protein Girl) January 9, 2011 at 9:38 am

Your strawberry shortcake (both of them) is freaking hilarious. You need to make oat bran bannocks – like a scone. Nom. Nom.

HEAB January 9, 2011 at 10:18 am

Allie! Love seeing your name in the comments, and now I’m off to googlb bannocks. :)

Jessica R. January 10, 2011 at 11:40 am

Summer is SOOOOOOO cute. That is all. ;-)

Emily E. January 23, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I know I’m probably the last one to be joining, but I jumped on the oat bran bandwagon this morning. I’ve never been able to handle oatmeal, but I was pleasantly surprised by the bran version. Thanks so much for sharing!!

HEAB January 23, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Emily,
Nope, I think there are still others out there who haven’t quite jumped on the oat bran bandwagon…and really, what are they thinking?!? ;)

So happy to hear you enjoyed it – definitely my favorite cooked grain!

{ 7 trackbacks }