Lights, Camera, Action

by HEAB on January 10, 2011

Yesterday, I played with my new light box. Here is the set-up…

I bought the gooseneck lamps on clearance at Target, and I found the daylight light bulbs at Home Depot (thank you Ashley and Evan).

On the left is a photo of my dinner from last taken under our regular kitchen lighting, and on the right is a photo of the same plate taken in the light box.

IMG_7045.JPG IMG_7044.JPG

Quite a difference, no?

My quick and easy taco salad consisted of 1/4 ground beef prepared with 1/4 TBSP chili powder, 1/4 TBSP paprika, 1/4 tsp cumin powder, and a pinch of salt. I mixed some spinach in with the beef while it was cooking and instead of cheese, I used nutritional yeast. For a little crunchy dipping action, I added a side of Garden of Eatin’ Red Hot Blues.

Then there was dessert…

IMG_7050.JPG IMG_7048.JPG

2-Ingredient carob fudge

Again, the photo on the right was taken in the light box. Have you made the fudge yet yet? Oh, how I love it. I really wanted to make Ashley’s brilliant version, but unfortunately, I was all out of peanut butter. :(

Do quality photos impact which blogs you read? For me, they make a difference – I love beautiful pictures.

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm

They do, but if a blog has great content I’ll go with or without pic’s. The light box makes a HUGE difference! Where did you even hear about it to know to try it? Your blog is the first I’m hearing about it… :)

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Amalfi,
I read about the light box here: http://edibleperspective.com/2010/11/lighting-up-leftovers/

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan January 10, 2011 at 1:38 pm

The quality of photos doesn’t make TOO big of a difference for me. I try to look more at the content if I can help it. And even if I have nothing in common with the blogger, if they make me laugh, I keep coming back.
I’m awaiting the arrival of my dSLR and can’t wait to improve the quality of my own photos. I’ll be following Ashley’s light box instructions too. Your photos turned out great! :-)

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Emily,
That’s awesome you’re getting a new camera. I asked for one for Christmas, but Santa forgot. :(

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Oh you are totally rocking the lightbox and YES photo quality DOES effect blogs. I mean, normally if I love the blogger, their photos don’t totally matter to me…but yes beautiful photos make me want to go back and back to that site.

And now that I have my DSLR, I am reading blogs and looking at ppl’s pics with a whole new eye. The creative side, stylistically what they do, how they plate their food, set up their shot…it’s like reading again for the 1st time now that I have a big girl camera and am learning as I go.

your pics ALWAYS have been awesome, and the light box.. even better :)

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Thanks Averie. I’m doing the same thing with blogs. When I first started blogging, I never paid attention to the photos, but after reading so many, the one with quality pics really stand out.

Little Bookworm January 10, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Love the photos, especially the one of the fudge! :)

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:23 pm

LB,
That was how the fudge looked when I put it in the fridge last night. This morning, a soupy mess!

Danielle Discovers January 10, 2011 at 1:48 pm

What a neat idea with the light box. I’m going to have to start working on one for my benefit as well because good quality pictures really do make a difference. The better looking the food, the more likely I am to make it!

Is the box something that is set up at all times in a separate room or is it fairly mobile? Living in a one bedroom apartment has it’s limitations and I don’t want to be that weirdo with a blogging light box set up on my dinning table when an unexpected guest comes by, haha.

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Danielle,
The box is really easy to transport. It’s super light, and mine isn’t that big. When people were over here on Saturday, I just sat in our laundry closet. That being said, I wouldn’t be embarrassed if people saw it – it would make an interesting conversation topic. :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In January 10, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I just made a lightbox too and noticed the same wonderful improvements.

For me there are different types of blogs – ones I read because I love hearing about the peoples lives, and ones I read because I know there are going to be drool-worthy pictures. But having better pictures is NEVER a bad thing!

Tangy January 10, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I love pretty pictures!! They aren’t as important to me as actual content but I’m mor likely to attempt to make something if it is visually appealing! The light box sounds waaaay better than taking everything outside :)

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Tangy, I know, right? We have condos that back up to our property, and I just KNOW that they think I am crazy – popping outside at 7 AM in the freezing cold in nothing but a tshirt and shorts to photograph oatmeal. :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 10, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Maybe I should put some of my nesting into making a light box. Too bad I have no clue where I would store it!

Katie January 10, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I sat around all evening yesterday trying to convince myself to make this lightbox. It’s been on my to-do list since Thanksgiving, and I swear I WILL make it. Your side by side comparison has just cinvinced me. I even have all the stuff I need sitting next to me. Mocking me.

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Katie,
Tomorrow you have to leave a comment saying you made the light box. If not, I’m taking away your Vita-Mix. ;)

Evan Thomas January 10, 2011 at 2:11 pm

GREAT job. The difference in the photos is crystal clear.
I like to think that the photos don’t make a difference and that a well-written, provocative post is all that matters, but I know that’s not true and isn’t how I think. I’m more likely to scroll through posts if my reader is full and base which ones to read fully on their title and photos. They really are worth 1000 words.

Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 10, 2011 at 2:18 pm

wow! such a difference! what kind of camera do you use? i only have a cheap point and shoot, so i’m not sure if it’s “worth it” to make a light box since it’s not a great camera and my pictures aren’t fancy anyway…

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Sarah,
I have a point and shoot too. No DSLR for me, although I really want one. I have a Canon A630 Powershot. Had it for about 4 or 5 years now. It’s great.

Stephanie January 10, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Pictures are pretty important. Not a deal breaker, but great photos make you want to return. Right now I have no idea what I’m doing behind a camera and can’t wait to get some time to get into a class or two!

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Stephanie,
I would love to take a photography class someday as I really don’t know what I’m doing behind the camera either.

Dorry January 10, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I love beautiful pictures, too! I really like taking them and my blog is a perfect way to experiment and learn more about photography. My dinner last night looked a lot like yours. I add spinach to just about any meal. :)

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Dorry, me too. Spinach makes such a great filler and an easy way to get in some greens!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 10, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Photo quality doesn’t bother me if the content and the writing style keep me interested.

Alina January 10, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I love nice photos too! I can really see a difference with the lightbox, especially for the chocolate. The texture comes through better, I think. However, photos are not a deal breaker for me. I have to love either the photos or the writing, but the writing is more important (to me, as a reader).

Jess@atasteofconfidence January 10, 2011 at 2:31 pm

quality photos definitely make a difference in the blogs i read, but i think an interesting story line and writing is more important to me!

Steph - VegFortWorth January 10, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Pretty photos are great, but not a deal breaker if the blog has great content.

VeggieGirl January 10, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Loooove using light boxes! And I too love beautiful blog photos as well.

Christin@purplebirdblog January 10, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Not all the blogs I read have great photos, but I definitely love quality colorful pictures!! Especially when I’m pressed for time, it’s fun to scroll through and see the pretty pics.

Nicole January 10, 2011 at 2:39 pm

The photos are nice to look at but if the content sucks, it doesn’t matter. I don’t have the time to worry about photos so I try to focus on what I’m talking about (my personality, per se) to make up for it.
I’ve considered the light box but I have no place to put it! I have a box sitting next to my desk at work that I took from the trash pile, but the thought of having a box sitting out somewhere stresses me out.

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Nicole,
Don’t stress. The box doesn’t take up much room, and it’s really light. I just shove it in the laundry closet when I want it out of the way.

Ashlei January 10, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Quality photos definitely make a difference on which blogs I read. If the photos are beautiful it makes me want to read the blog.

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos January 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm

yes, i love blogs with great photography! great photos + catchy blog title usually gets my attn. i really need to make a lightbox because by the time i get home from work, its dark out!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Hard to believe there’s such a difference! I think I’d be deterred by the effort of a light box and we’d have no place to put it in our little apartment but I definitely see the difference!

melissa @ the delicate place January 10, 2011 at 2:56 pm

wow me thinks i need a light box! i always take photos sans flash and in natural lighting but in the winter it’s so difficult since it’s dark by the time i get home from work! i love beautiful photos in blogs. i’m a design snob haha!

Andrea@Thin Thighs & Sweet Potato Fries January 10, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Hi! This is my first time on your blog and I’m so happy I found it! I must try the light box trick! I had never even heard of daylight light bulbs. While content is most important to me in a blog, I do love beautiful pictures as well, especially beautiful food pictures! I recently got a new camera which has made a world of difference in the quality of my photos, but I have horrible lighting in my apartment so this trick would be especially useful for me! Thanks for sharing! :)

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Andrea,
Glad you found me and thanks so much for reading. Good luck with your light box. It was pretty easy to make and definitely worth the effort. :)

Jenna @ Eating Green, Staying Lean January 10, 2011 at 2:59 pm

The lighting is awesome with that box! Where did you come up with the idea? Photos definitely make a huge difference in any blog, that’s for sure.

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Jenna,
I got the idea for the light box from Ashley: http://edibleperspective.com/2010/11/lighting-up-leftovers

jen @ taste life January 10, 2011 at 3:02 pm

When I first started reading blogs NOBODY had high quality photos, it’s so funny now how everyone is upping their game (myself included)! I LOVE good quality photos, but I read blogs because I like the authors, not because they have good pictures.

Monica January 10, 2011 at 3:02 pm

So agreed, pictures bring a blog from good to great! And the higher quality photos make it great for reading, especially if you are a Foodie and appreciate food photos.

kara January 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm

But can you fit Summer into the lightbox? :)

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Kara,
Haha – haven’t tried yet, but I bet I could. :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet January 10, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Wow, what an amazing difference! I need to start experimenting that way in my apartment!

Melissa January 10, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I’ve always thought you had nice photos. Mine aren’t good, I need a better camera AND better lighting.

WAR EAGLE! ;-)

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Melissa,
Yes – about to watch the game. War Eagle! :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 10, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Wow– big difference!!! I’ve been bugging my hub to build me my own ever since I saw Evan’s! ;-)

Lindsey @ Dishes 'N' Diapers January 10, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I will admit I love good photography on a blog, but, it won’t keep me from reading good ones. Some people may be fantastic writers, but not fantastic photographers. But yes, they definitely enhance the overall blog.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 10, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Tony got the day lights for me yesterday for above my island and I love them. I think photos do make a difference, but it doesn’t make or break me reading if I can relate to the person.

Marianne in Auburn January 10, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Totally off subject of the post but thought I would provide you with a little Auburn cheer for tonight….
Boda Getta
Boda Getta
Boda Getta Bah
Rah, Rah, Rah
Sis Boom Bah
Weagle
Weagle
WAR DAMN EAGLE
Kick ‘em in the butt Big Blue
HEY!!
Did that bring back so memories?!?!
got to make that fudge soon…YUM!

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Marianne,
Haha – thanks for the memories. It’s been too long. About to start watching the game. :)

kate January 10, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Ive been playing with lighting as well. The lighting in our place is terrible and the winter means less daylight hours and practically no outdoor shots!

Ashley January 10, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Looks like you’ve definitely figured out the light box!! I still only have 1 light set up with it, haha..The fudge photos looks SO much better in the light box!! Thanks for all the link love. :) Hope you have a great week!

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 10, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Who doesn’t love a good picture, but still I read a blog for its content and not just the picture. A good picture on a well written blog is what makes me really happy.

Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free January 10, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I totally agree that quality pictures make such a difference. I just started my blog and I already want a nice camera for beautiful pictures!

Healthy choc January 10, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Yum!!!!
That light box is awesome!!!!!! It really does change the way the picture looks! Great idea!

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 10, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I might be the outcast here, but I come for the blogger, not really the pictures ;)

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Matt, nah, you’re not an outcast. Many others said the same. Photos are important to me, but if the writing is good, regardless of the pics, I’ll come back. :)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) January 10, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I think that pretty pictures catch my attention on a blog, but the writing is more what determines if I’ll come back or not. Those picture are beautiful with the light box (but they were also beautiful before the light box :) )!

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Thanks Alexandria. :)

Ali January 10, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I finally tried making the 2 ingredient fudge! It’s in the freezer cooling as I speak! We only had low fat coconut milk in, so I don’t think the fudge will be as creamy as it should be, but we shall see.

Any recs on what to do with leftover coconut milk? I only had enough chocolate to use half a can of coconut milk, but this is the first time I’ve done anything with coconut milk other than a thai curry, so I’m a little lost! I

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Ali,
So exiting – I hope it turned out okay. Leftover coconut milk – cook oatmeal in it. You could do all coconut milk or 1/2 milk, 1/2 water. Make soup – add pureed pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices, and sweetener of choice and heat. Make a squash or pumpkin custard: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/kabocha-squash-custard/. Or, use it to make hot chocolate soup: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/hot-chocolate-soup/.

Baking 'n' Books January 10, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I like both pictures. I get you on the lighting though – I just have a basic camera – but if the flash is on or off makes a HUGE difference ;)

I try not to judge blogs by their pictures taken – to each his own.

A Teenage Gourmet January 10, 2011 at 4:57 pm

What a cool bloggie tool! :) Natural light is my favorite.

robyn jones clark January 10, 2011 at 5:10 pm

you might have better success with making your box out of white foam core. it’s a bit more expensive. it reflects the light better though. (at least in my experience. i photographed a lot of printed materials using a light box out of white foam core.) I also used quite a bit of natural light. I have used a lamp though and it worked fine.

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Robyn,
Great – thanks! Where can I purchase the white foam core?

robyn jones clark January 10, 2011 at 9:24 pm

you can get it at walmart or hobby lobby. it’s usually where you find the posterboard. some people make science project boards out of it i think. i put a link to hobby lobby, but it’s not a great picture….

Joseph Masters January 12, 2011 at 9:51 am

You can also get Fome-Cor foam board through plastic distributors; they will have a wider selection of foam boards including heavy-duty foam boards like Gatorfoam, which can take a beating better than paper-faced foam boards (and also have the brightest white facer available for foam boards). Gatorfoam is more expensive, but provides more benefits. For a list of distributors in your area, you can follow the link below:

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 10, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Whoa, that’s incredible!!! I’ll seriously look into building one of these..I just don’t really have roomk for one. :/

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 10, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Wow that really does make a difference! I love in a small apartment (in London no less) so my photos never get proper natural light :(
I do love beautiful photos on blogs, but since my blog is not exactly photo superior, it doesn’t matter so much to me!

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 10, 2011 at 7:10 pm

The quality of the photos don’t make a huge difference to me, but I do tend to look at posts with pretty pictures longer than I do those that aren’t of as good quality.

I am STILL having problems with my light box…. this will be my weekend project. ;)

Clairerose C January 10, 2011 at 7:12 pm

There is a difference…How cool:-)cc

Annie@stronghealthyfit January 10, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Very cool, I might have to make one of those myself! My apt. is so tiny though :-/ I try to be understanding w/lower quality photos on blogs, bc I think I don’t have very good photos, since I have a very simple camera. I like looking at nice pictures too though!

Pure2raw twins January 10, 2011 at 7:17 pm

We have been meaning to make a light box after seeing Ashley and Evan make them. It will be our goal this week!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun January 10, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I agree, photo quality makes a huge difference in the blogs I read! I can put up with some blurry/terrible lighting photos here and there but when it’s every. single. photo. I can’t deal. I guess it’s the perfectionist in me. ;-)

Meagan January 10, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Oh yeah. If photo quality stinks (erm, sucks) I say good-bye almost instantly. No one wants to see your bad pictures!

Rachael January 10, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Photos are a plus, but I’m still a sucker for words. I realized the other day this applies to musical taste as well – I can put up with the most heinous melody as long as the lyrics are ballad worthy.

Alex January 10, 2011 at 7:45 pm

That fudge looks SO decadent!!!!
It’s very fitting, seeing as how today is NATIONAL BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE DAY!
I’m glad you’re already celebrating :)

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Alex,
How did I not know of this holiday?!? ;)

Laura January 10, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I’ve been wanting to make a light box for ages now. I do think quality photos make reading blogs so much more fun.

MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan January 10, 2011 at 8:24 pm

What a difference that light box makes! I saw instructions on http://www.neverhomemaker.com/ but I haven’t had a chance to make one yet

charlotte January 10, 2011 at 8:26 pm

*hangs head in shame* I’m not a photog. At all. And now I feel even more guilty about all the crappy gym snaps I post! Do you think I could sneak a light box into the gym?? And still not trying the two-ingredient fudge again… lol, not ready yet!

HEAB January 10, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Charlotte,
Yes, I think you could cram the gym buddies into a light box, although after the Rachel Cosgrove experiment, you all might be too muscular to fit. I heard team GFE kicked Team HEAB’s booty when it came to the plank holds. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 10, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Nice job on the light box!!! Quality photos definitely make a difference for my interest in blogs. I like something aesthetic!!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 10, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I. love. fudge. And I need to try making a lightbox sometime, photography is definitely a HUGE factor in blogging!

Amy January 10, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I was always a sucker for good food photo’s. I spent hours outside sometimes, moving a plate around the front yard (I’m sure the neighbours thought I was bonkers, who puts a plate of food on top of a tree stump in their front yard then snaps a thousand photo’s of it from different angles?!?!).

I did make your fudge! The other day. Sadly we don’t get unsweetened chocolate in Australia so I had to use 85% and I subbed light coconut cream for the coconut milk (just because that’s all I had). I’m definitely a fan! It’s delicious (although I confess I cooked it twice because I got paranoid it wouldn’t set up and then threw in 2 tbsp of coconut oil as well *blush*. Next time I won’t though, it set up perfectly which is more than I can say for my attempt at turning it into PB fudge-definitely trying Ashley’s version as well!)

HEAB January 11, 2011 at 4:55 am

Amy,
So glad you tried the fudge! I made a new batch on Sunday, and I cannot stay out of it. I bet it’s delicious with 85% chocolate!

I know my neighbors must think I’m carzy as well. Our house backs up to some condos, and I know the people who live there are like, what is up with that girl? She’s always outside at 7 AM taking pics of her oatmeal. Hehe. :)

Nicole January 10, 2011 at 9:35 pm

So awesome! I’ve been thinking of creating my own light box set up soon as well! :)

Hannah January 10, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I definitely avoid blogs without any photos, but I’m not too fussed about how “professonal” or not the photos look. I’ve always been very language-oriented, and am not a visual person in daily life, so for me it’s the writing that means the most when it comes to blogs :)

(Yours is, of course, stellar in that regard too :P )

HEAB January 11, 2011 at 4:52 am

Thanks Hannah. :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 10, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I hate to admit it, but the quality of photos do matter. In fact, I just clicked away from a blog because the photos were so bad. That said, photos don’t have to be professional-quality for me to read a blog. And content is definitely more important to me than photos. I read blogs for the content and really enjoy good photos.
I can’t believe what a difference your light box makes! Thanks for posting the side-by-side comparison.

HEAB January 11, 2011 at 4:52 am

Maryea,
You’re welcome. :)

Helen January 10, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I do love beautiful photos as well; however, I have a basic digital camera so I know how it is to try and get photos. They do not always come out great if you can’t photograph in natural light, which I often can not:( I also like reading the content of blogs. I am an avid reader. The photos are nice to look at, but I do not judge a blog just by the photos.

Caitlin (EatFeats) January 10, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Aw I get so sad when I am out of peanut butter. I don’t really have a camera and the one I use is sort of a piece of work, so photos don’t matter to me. I LOVE words.

Debra January 10, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Your light box definitely improved your photos. Yours is the only blog I read, so I have no frame of reference to other bloggers. I like your style of writing and enjoy following your life. You’re taking great care of little Summer.

HEAB January 11, 2011 at 4:50 am

Debra,
Thanks so much for your kind words and for reading. :)

clare January 10, 2011 at 11:55 pm

ahh great heather! how cool. i’m inspired to get out my light tent soon. but my food is not pretty in the first place…i just like to eat mashed up looking crap, ha!

HEAB January 11, 2011 at 4:50 am

Clare,
Yeah, 2/3 of my meals are mashed up crap in a bowl. I totally get it. :)

Heather January 11, 2011 at 12:37 am

Wow! The difference is INCREDIBLE! Now I am mad at myself for not making a lightbox this weekend! I definitely have to do this! I can have a bit of a short attention span at times, so I tend to look at the pictures first and then read!

Oh, I meant to tell you…those Red Hot Blues are amazing! I picked up some yesterday at WF’s with a coupon I found online! They do taste reminiscent of “my speedos” Lol! ;)

HEAB January 11, 2011 at 4:49 am

Heather,
Glad you got some of the Red Hots. I never tried them before b/c I thought they would be super spice, but in my opinion, they’re perfect. Just like Doritos! Good luck with your light box!

Marie-Sophie January 11, 2011 at 12:46 am

Hey Heather, I made the fudge (but the chocolaty one) – and after I pulled it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge overnight I was left with a thick layer on top and lots of liquid underneath …
Do I not freeze it well enough?? Or do I use too little chocolate (I used about half a 100g bar) ? The chocolate milk was still delicious in my oatmeal, though ;-)

Yes, pretty pictures do make a difference – I think it makes a blog more beautiful. But it could never save a boring blog, so I guess it’s more of the icing on the cake! :-)

HEAB January 11, 2011 at 4:48 am

Hey Marie-Sophie, glad you enjoyed your chocolate milk, but yes, I usually use about 16 ounces of chocolate for the 2-ingredient fudge which equals about 450 grams of chocolate. Therefore, you would need to use about 4 whole bars. You could just stick the chocolate milk back in the freezer. That’s what I had to do with my last carob batch. I used the vegan chips this time, and for some reason they won’t set unless in the freezer. I woke up to fudge soup when after putting them in the fridge overnight, but like you, I still enjoyed some on my oatmeal. :)

michelle January 11, 2011 at 1:46 am

Good pictures definitely make or break a blog for me, especially food blogs. I make a big effort with my pictures and I really enjoy seeing (up close) what others are eating.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 11, 2011 at 4:42 am

I’ve been meaning to build a light box, it’s on my ever-growing to-do list.I do enjoy blogs that have crisp, large images, but more importantly, I really want MY blog to have awesome images, so I take hundreds a day just to choose the greatest ones.

Those energy efficient bulbs scare the crap out of me. We tried one and noticed that it still glows after you turn it off. We were like, WTH? We did some reading on it, including from the box it came in, and they’re actually radioactive. :shock: If one should break, it’s recommended that you call a bio hazard team to clean it up. Are you kidding me? We refuse to use them.

HEAB January 11, 2011 at 4:45 am

Jenn,
Really? I hadn’t noticed any after-glow. That’s scary.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 12, 2011 at 3:40 am

Yeah, we noticed it glowing in our bathroom from our bedroom after we turned it off in there. So Dustin did some reading up on them and it turns out that they are made from pretty dangerous materials. I’d be scared to death of breaking one. Here’s a UK article on them:

nellie January 11, 2011 at 4:51 am

I like quality photos on blogs as well. I tend to follow ones with better picture.

BTW, I’m a new reader and love your blog!

HEAB January 11, 2011 at 8:20 am

Nellie,
Glad you found me. Thanks for so much for reading. :)

Hanna M. January 11, 2011 at 8:07 am

Your blog has always had nice photos, but the light box does make the food look more delicate (huge difference in the fudge pics!). Cute pattern and color on the base of the box BTW. Just make sure to change it from time to time ;)

HEAB January 11, 2011 at 8:23 am

Hanna M.
No worries. I bought several place mats to line the base of the box. :)

Kath (Eating for Living) January 11, 2011 at 8:55 am

Wow, that makes some difference! :D I like blogs with nice pictures, but I like like blogs with nice bloggers even more! ;)

Cailin @ Stir Crazy January 11, 2011 at 9:34 am

I do agree about quality photos, and that light box makes a big difference… especially with that carob fudge (the first photo looks pretty unappetizing, but the second one I would eat the entire plate :) ).

Jen @ keepitsimpefoods January 11, 2011 at 10:53 am

Way to go on the light box! Turned out great!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 11, 2011 at 11:30 am

I love food porn… I’m a food photographer, so I’m always drawn to interesting pictures.

Light boxes are so great for food!

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast January 11, 2011 at 11:56 am

Wow! HUGE difference with the light box! I was always curious about those, so this post is super helpful. Thank you!

Maya January 11, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Yes, quality photos definitely make a difference! And thanks to the light box you don’t have to compromise an earlier dinner hour for natural light. Brilliant!

Raya @ RayaRuns January 11, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Wow! Ever since the Foodbuzz festival I’ve been thinking about making a lightbox. Yours works great!

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover January 11, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Truly amazing results!
I really want to try this Fudge sometime – I’ll go search for carob chips ASAP!

R @ Learning As I Chop January 11, 2011 at 8:30 pm

That’s really cool. I might have to look into it

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble January 12, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Man I need a light box for my food. Or for summertime and late evenings to hurry back! I just don’t have room for a light box in my tiny apt among my sewing and cooking projects that have taken over my kitchen table which now force me to photograph and eat in the living room. Did I just admit that? Yes. But sewing has taken over the dinning room!

Katie @ Up Fit Creek January 14, 2011 at 4:18 pm

This is awesome! I’ve really been wanting to improve my food photography. Our walls are painted a shade of gold so all of my pictures end up looking really yellow, especially if I take them at night. I’m definitely interested in trying to make my own light box.

{ 3 trackbacks }