Oversized Oats

by HEAB on January 13, 2011

Well, the results are in from week 1 of the Fit Blogger Charity Challenge. Team HEAB tied Team Lean Bodies Health And Fitness for 2nd place, and Team Great Fitness Experiment came in 1st. A big shout out to Team HEAB member Melissa for her awesome plank hold of 2 minutes 37 seconds! How are all of you doing with the workouts? I was really sore last week, but my body seems to be adjusting to exercising regularly again. The burpees and mountain climbers are still kicking my booty, but I love that I can get in a great workout in less than 30 minutes. I’m usually able to squeeze it in during Summer’s morning nap, and it’s so nice being able to do all of the workouts in the comfort of my own home. I think my favorite is stairs day – I’ve always loved running up stairs. Anyway, I’m sending out strong push-up vibes to all of you for this week’s challenge, and many thanks to every single member of Team HEAB for all your hard work!

Now onto some oatmeal. I’ve been experimenting with Katie’s Voluminous Oatmeal Trick. Really Katie, you can do no wrong. The first time I tried it, I cooked 1 cup rolled oats (1/2 cup never satiates me) with 3 cups water on the stove-top while I cleaned up the kitchen after dinner. I brought the oats + water to a boil, allowing them to cook over medium heat for just a few minutes. I then poured the oatmeal in a ceramic bowl, refrigerating overnight. The next morning, the oats had absorbed all the water, and after adding a bit more and reheating, I enjoyed myself a huge bowl of pillowy-soft oatmeal.

Add-ins included 1 packet Artisana coconut oil, 1 banana, and lots ‘o cinnamon.

More experimentation was needed, and so the following night I added more water to the mix and cooked 1 cup rolled oats with 4 cups water and then refrigerated overnight. The next morning, I reheated my oats on the stove-top until warm but didn’t need to add any additional water. They turned out perfect – thanks again Katie! In fact, the oats had puffed up so much, that I couldn’t fit them all in my bowl and ate what remained straight from the pot. :)

The above bowl was influenced by one of my favorite Thai dishes. Lately, I’ve been dreaming of coconut curry topped with toasted cashews, and therefore decided to top my oats with unsweetened shredded coconut and 1 packet of Artisana raw cashew butter. I’ve never been a huge fan of cashew butter. I mean I like it, but compared to other nut butters, I always thought it tasted a bit bland. However, I really enjoyed this packet from Artisana as it seemed to have a stronger flavor than other brands I’ve tried.

Question for you guys: I’ve been loving on some tea lately, but I’m still avoiding caffeine. What is your favorite herbal tea and where do you buy it?

Stephanie January 13, 2011 at 11:22 am

Right now I’m loving Cleopatra’s cuppa. I get it from a downtown Des Moines tea shop called Gong Fu. I plan on doing a whole post on the tea I drink coming soon. (We drink ALOT!)

Nicole January 13, 2011 at 11:25 am

Chamomile and peppermint are my favorite herbal teas. I get them in the bulk tea section at my grocery store. SO good to brew your own!!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 13, 2011 at 11:42 am

I LOVE that blue bowl and spoon!! It’s so awesome. :)

Glad I”m not the only one who thinks 1/2 cups oats is kind of meager! lol

Congrats on making the top 100 list!! You are definitely an inspiration for people of all ages! :D

Smriti January 13, 2011 at 11:46 am

Yumm!! coconut flakes…I had the same craving for it last night and I had a huge amount of it,and yes cashew butter turns me off-they taste better with honey and cocoa though.

I made this last night.

Hope you have a great day! :)
Smriti

Ashley January 13, 2011 at 11:47 am

Wow!! I love hearing new ways to cook oats and this sounds fantastic!!

brandi@BranAppetit January 13, 2011 at 11:48 am

wow – that’s a big bowl of oats! :) Love it!

My favorite teas right now are the sugar cookie sleigh ride and candy cane lane (holiday, decaf teas).

But I also really love any type of fruity herbal teas, especially orange.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 13, 2011 at 11:53 am

In my mind, the bigger and more pillowy the oats, the better!:) This looks foodgasmic, send me a spoonful?

Slash my favorite teas are Yogi teas (Ginseng Vitality, Chai Rooibos, Ginkgo Clarity, Echinacea Immune Support and Stomache Ease), Tazo teas (Vanilla Rooibos, Refresh, and Honeybush) and Numi teas (Rooibos).

I drink herbal tea like it’s my J-O-B ;)

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Katelyn,
Wow, you really know your herbal teas. Thanks for all the recommendations!

Baking 'n' Books January 13, 2011 at 12:01 pm

What an honor indeed! Congrats!

Is the coconut oil pretty much the same as the butter – but “melted”?

Baking 'n' Books January 13, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Oh and I love Cashew Butter! I eat from a brand “Nuts 2 You” (only Canada maybe?)…I’ll have to send you some – it’s not bland at all :) !

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 13, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Congrats! Enjoy alllllllllll those oats :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama January 13, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I totally need more than 1/2 cups of oats, too. I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one!

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Maryea,
I know! 1/2 of rolled oats does nothing for me, but 1/2 cup oat bran does the trick.

A Tablespoon of Liz January 13, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Congrats on making the list!

Lauren at KeepItSweet January 13, 2011 at 12:10 pm

A massive bowl of oats like that would make me so happy! Plus, cooking them the night before would be a massive help on a rushed morning…..

Christin@purplebirdblog January 13, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I have really been loving on some vanilla rooibos by Tazo. The contents of the brew bags are super pretty too! :)

VeggieGirl January 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I’m not a tea-drinker, but Mr. Suave loooves earl grey and pomegranate teas.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 13, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I need to try that trick with the oats. I always just do the microwave in the morning, but it would be nice to have it all assembled the night before! I will check out that site for sure. Thanks for sharing. Oh and great job on the workouts! I love the stairs too!

lindsay January 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Wow, gorgeous bowl. You know my obsession with bowls, right?
Celestial teas have a really great winter blend out right now. I like the sugar cookie with almond mik in it.
;)
LC

Ali January 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Almost 2 years ago I discovered that I had some kidney problems. This prompted a whole lifestyle change; I became an almost vegan vegetarian and cut out all things caffeine. At first, I had to, at least until after I had surgery, so out went the coffee, iced tea, soda etc. I figured I had better start appreciating decaf tea! Right now I’m really enjoying Tazo’s Wild Sweet Orange mixed with a Chai bag. It gives you a spicy, fall, orange flavor that’s just great. I’m all about the combinations!

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Ali,
That combo sounds delicious. Thanks! Sorry about the kidney problems, but it sounds like you’re doing better. :)

Disturbed January 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I love green tea. Love it. Any kind of berry green tea is amazing. I also love earl grey tea added to steamed milk (usually soy) with a little bit of vanilla flavoring.
So good.

Rachel January 13, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Brilliant idea for oats! I tend to cook mine with lots of milk and some flaxseed meal to make a pretty voluminous porridge of sorts. The fluffy texture you ended up with sounds divine!

Jess@atasteofconfidence January 13, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Congrats on the top 100!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 13, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I always add more liquid to my oats than I’m supposed to! You have to cook it longer, but it is more food at the end! Well, kind of.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 13, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Congratulations on being one of the top 100!!

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Great tip on the oats!

Do you always make them with water? When I do, they taste so plain that I have to use milk. When I add milk, they are so creamy and delicious ;)

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Matt,
Yeah, I’m a water + oats girl. I like them plain – a little odd, I know, but I’m often just using the oats as a vehicle for toppings anyway. ;) That being said, I do love making them coconut milk from time to time. So thick and creamy!

JenniferLeah January 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Congrats on the Top 100–will def check out the list.
Great tip on the oatmeal too, will have to give this a try.

I have been eating steel cut oats lately and I am just addicted!! I cook up a 1/4 cup of SCO’s w/ 2 cups water and bring to a simmer. Then add a scoop of PB, chopped banana, a drizzle of honey and some cinnamon. Just like a warm PB cookie. Soooo yum

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:14 pm

JenniferLeah,
Warm PB cookie? Yes, that does sound rather addicting, but steel cut oats never seem to fill me up. Maybe I just need to add more yummy toppings. :)

Natalia - a side of simple January 13, 2011 at 12:49 pm

My favorite herbal tea is Tazo Vanilla Roobois. I splurge and buy it from Starbucks occasionally. It’s one of the only herbal teas I’ll buy! Congratulations on being honored!!

jen @ taste life January 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Congrats on making the list! I’ll be sure to go check it out. Also, I saw the oats trick on Katie’s blog, but still haven’t tried it, but I’m thinking I should!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm

WHOA that is a brilliant oat cooking idea . . . I will try and thanks for sharing :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm

That bowl and spoon is sooo pretty! I love the lid! And the oats looks like they are wanting to bust right out of it :)

Lovin’ the volume you created! It’s amazing how much liquid oats and grains can soak and how much they can puff up and expand, isn’t it!

Congrats on being named in the top 100…

I just went there…and I was named too!!!!! AND I HAD NO IDEA?!!

Ok thanks for the heads up, on that one :)

Katherine: Unemployed January 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm

cashews have an odd texture; even cashew larabars are just different

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I’d love to hear more about your thoughts on body post-baby–and how your lifestyle has had to adapt or not?

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Elizabeth,
I plan to write a post on this topic soon. Promise. :)

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I love Peppermint tea with a splash of almond milk. :D

Picky Nicky January 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I’m an herbal tea addict :D My all-time favourite is coco chai rooibos from DAVID’S TEA!! It’s sooo addicting, trust me! It has spices and coconut, you can’t go wrong!! It’s even better with a splash of warm almond milk

Abbey January 13, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Where do you find this tea?

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Picky Nicky,
Where do you purchase the David’s Tea?

Picky Nicky January 13, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I buy it at the mall where I live (Canada)…
I just went to check their website and they sell it online too :)

Regina January 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I dislike herbal tea (I love black tea), but I bought an assorted box of Tazo teas awhile back because they were on sale and I really like the Lotus Green tea variety. Also Tazo has a decaffeinated chai tea that’s very nice. I’ve also had their loose leaf Zen tea blend which I’m pretty sure is decaf and is also very tasty.

melissa @ the delicate place January 13, 2011 at 1:21 pm

well you’re in luck! i’m kinda a tea snob since i don’t really drink coffee. adagio.com sells the best loose leaf tea ever. so many combos that users have made are available as well. my fave decaf or herbals are peppermint, chamomile, foxtrot, decaf earl gray vanille. you can buy sampler packs too in case you don’t want a few ounces of a tea you just aren’t digging. it’s a great deal!

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Great – thanks Melissa!

jennifer Bishop January 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm

my favorite tea right now is candy cane lane and I love almond tea although it is more of a dessert tea.

Katie January 13, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Oatmeal NEVER fills me up, so I’m going to have to try this! I had seen it on Katie’s blog – but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood January 13, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I noticed that a lot of tea brands out there such as Celestial Seasonings and Twinings usually don’t have caffeine in their teas so maybe you can try those? One of my favorite herbal teas would probably have to be chamomile tea. At first, I didn’t like the taste but then two years later, I took a sip of it again and fell in love with it. It’s very soothing and good for those nights before bed. :)

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Sylvia,
You actually sent me some of my favorite herbal teas of all time. I love that Celestial Seasonings herbal mix with all the different berry teas. So thank you! They’re all already gone. :(

Kelly January 13, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I’m loving some Vanilla Sleepytime tea from Celestial Seasons. It doesn’t really make you sleepy, it just doesn’t have any caffeine. It’s really great with a splash of almond milk. :)

Kara January 13, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I like Candy Cane Lane green tea. It’s seasonal, but I think it’s still in the stores, stock up!

This post is lacking in adorable baby pictures :(

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Kara,
Hehe, sorry about that. Will try and do better. :)

MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan January 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Congrats on making that list! I am amazed how many of those blogs are in my reader :)

Abbey January 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Okay, forget everyone else’s suggestions :) and focus on this one only. Buy The Republic of Tea – Good Hope Vanilla Rooibos. I literally drink about 5 cups each day. I stir in a little stevia extract and that’s it. It’s really the best tea I’ve ever had in my life.

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Abbey,
OK. I will buy it. I trust you. :)

Jill January 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm

You must have read my mind b/c I’m in this phase where i seriously have to eat a bowl of oatmeal a day. I’ve even been making big bowls of overnight oats to take to work for lunch-of course you can imagine the interesting commentary I’ve gotten on that:

“Oh, is that…tuna?” (said as the person anxiously peers into the tupperware)
“You sure don’t eat very much do, you?” (Ummm…right, because giant bowls oatmeal with milk, some peanut butter and a whole banana plus at least something else on the side is like no food *at all*)
and the best…
“Well, Jill pretty much doesn’t eat any junk food.” (I guess ice cream, the birthday cake I’m currently baking, and the chocolate stash in my cupboard are all health food now?)

Not that these comments really bother me, they’re just really funny. I’m sure that you can totally relate to the experience of having your food be scrutinized a little :-) But seriously, all of the oatmeal haters don’t know what they’re missing.

And speaking of food, we should try to get together for lunch! If Summer comes, I vote that she wears the Strawberry Shortcake outfit ;-)

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Jill,
I remember getting those same comments from my former coworkers when I worked at Vanderbilt…and then they would ask to try whatever I was eating. Drove me crazy, and yes, little miss strawberry shortcake and I would love to get together for lunch. Just name your day. :)

Caree @ Fit-Mama January 13, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Congrats on making the top 100 health and fitness blogs!!! That is awesome!

Kristina @ Life as Kristina January 13, 2011 at 2:44 pm

You always have the yummiest looking oats!!!! And thanks for aiding in my addiction to Justin’s nut butter-haha…maples my fav!

Jen January 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm

My favorite tea is Celestia Seasoning’s Bengal Spice. It has changed my life. :)

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast January 13, 2011 at 2:48 pm

What a great way to get more water! I’m always looking for more ways to increase my water intake in the winter – something about cold water isn’t too appealing. So I enjoy doing lots of soups, but I never thought about getting it from my morning oatmeal. Yay!

Little Bookworm January 13, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Love the porridge in this post. No help on the tea front sorry. I thought I’d let you know that I have given you the Stylish blogger award in my latest post! :D

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Congrats to team HEAB on the FitBlogger’s Challenge!! and how awesome you were included in the list. I’ll have to check them out. :)

Melissa B. January 13, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Congratulations on the list, Heather- that is awesome!

P.S. I’m doing the push-ups challenge tonight, wish me luck!!

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Melissa,
Good luck! :)

Ellen January 13, 2011 at 3:03 pm

i drink a TON of herbal tea and am constantly buying new ones. my top 2 favorites are Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice and Caribou Coffee’s Cinnamon Rooibos. delish.

Katie January 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Aw, shucks, its so nice to hear I can do no wrong. Oh, wait. You meant a different Katie. ;)

I love Yogi tea Eqyptian Licorice and Egyptian Licorice Mint. If you’ve ever had your hair done at an Aveda salon, it tastes exactly like the tea they serve you there. I buy it in bulk from Amazon, but you can get it anywhere.

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Katie,
Of course, you can do no wrong either. :)

Charlotte January 13, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Bookmarked this! Can’t wait to try it. And also – how do you have such pretty unique dishes all the time? After my ONE attempt at food blogging, I have come to realize that not only do I eat ugly food but I also cook off of ugly dishes:)

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Charlotte,
I have accumulated quite a random mix of bowls over the years. Most of them have been gifts, and our “main” kitchen bowls are from a set we got from Target when we got married. They’re fine, but kind of boring. So, I’m always on the lookout for something a little more fun and exciting since I eat 99.9% of all my meals from bowls.

Liz January 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm

So glad to see your blog is listed as one of the best because it most definitely is! Thanks for including the link, I look forward to adding some of these blogs to my reading rotation!

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Oooh I am going to try that tomorrow! Love when oats get big and fat.

My favourite tea is green tea with lemon. Might not be totally ‘new’ but it hits the spot. Or, have you tried pu-erh? It’s quite earthy and warming and a lot less bitter than other teas. I’m sure you can get it in any good health food or specialist tea store. :)

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Gill,
Nope, never had pu-erh, but will be on the lookout. Thx!

janetha @ meals and moves January 13, 2011 at 3:48 pm

congrats on making that list! how cool!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 13, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Wow– that IS a lot of oats!!! Yum!

Congrats on making the list!! Cool!

Heather J January 13, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Hi Heather! I’ve also been into the tea lately. I’m loving whole leaf peppermint tea (loose or in bags by Mighty Leaf) but my favourite find has been Celestial Seasonings Gingerbread Spice tea. It might be sold out for the year (it’s a Christmasy tea) but it is so amazing.

Heather J January 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Oh, let me add Tazo Tea’s Vanilla Roobois to the list too!

Caroline January 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I will never, ever get sick of good ‘ole Chamomile tea. Chamomile-Mint is a great combo as well! Puts me to sleep like cold medicine, I swear…

Beth @ bride in the little white dress January 13, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I’ve been hooked on Good Earth Teas lately. My favorite is their Sweet & Spicy Tea (it comes in both regular and caffeine free) because its so flavorful! At first I thought it tasted medicine-y but now it doesn’t taste like that at all, so delicious. :)

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Beth,
I’ve always loved that tea. So good all on its own – no sweetener required!

jessica January 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm

My favourite caffeine free tea is PEPPERMINT! It’s great for digestion and delicious too! :) I don’t get it from any particular place, right now I just have a plain non-organic one that I bought for after christmas dinner, haha.

polly January 13, 2011 at 4:38 pm

hi sweetie!
YUMMMM oats. My love of them has kicked in again and they make excellent afternoon snacks and after supper snacks and breakfasts and sides to lunch. :D I think your combo of 1/2 cup oatbran + 1 and 1/2 cup water is PERFECT, honey! Also, YES, a full cup of oatMEAL is what it takes, girl.

with bananas? OH heavens. :P

I sometimes drink Teavana tea (in one of the malls in Nashville!!) white tea mix of various fruits mixed. My mix is called Youthberry Plus orange wild blossom. Mandy got it for me for my birthday! It smells SO good whether I brew it or not. Sometimes just taking a wiff form the canister is fun. How funny does that sound? hehehe :)

Are you watcing the Office tonight? Is it a new one?

Huggie to Summie.

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Polly,
I hope it’s a new one. I’m having Michael withdrawal. ;)

Yes, I’ve been to Teavana, but I need to go back and ask them if I can take a whiff of Youthberry Plus wild orange blossom. :)

sarah January 13, 2011 at 4:42 pm

My favorite tea’s lately are from Pukka teas. I think they are from the UK but my local health food store carries them. The Detox tea is awesome, always makes my belly feel so good. They also have a great cinnamon one that really warms you up. I know they have a website.
Just tried a really good handmade loose tea while in NYC at Alice’s teacup. It was black tea, jasmine, vanilla and rose mixed together. Heavenly!

Hope you find a few new ones to enjoy! Congrats!

sarah January 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm

BTW, did you know that the Tazo chai liquid you can buy in a tetra pak, tastes awesome in oatmeal? Gotta try…

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Sarah,
No, I did not know that. Thanks for the tip!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 13, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Just checked out that link. So excited to read all the new blogs, now!!

Megan (Braise The Roof) January 13, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Your oats look awesome! I agree about the cashew butter. It’s actually pretty good in cookies if you’re looking to sub out peanut butter, though…the taste isn’t that different!

The Dainty Pig January 13, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Mmmm!! Oats look great, as per usual :)
I am loving some caffeine free Yogi Teas these days.
I like the Tahitian Vanilla Hazelnut, the chai rooibos tea…and pretty much any of them, haha. And I bet you can guess where I get them from…iHerb.
Have a great rest of your week!

Ann @ Day By Day January 13, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Yum! I bet those oats are filling!! That’s an interesting way to do it with 4 cups of water and soaked overnight! I’m definitely going to give it a try. And that blue bowl and spoon are wonderful. Regarding cashew butter, when I first got it I didn’t like it but it definitely grew on me over time. I need to try Artisana’s.

Namaste Gurl January 13, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I am SERIOUSLY drooling over your oats, missy! I totally forgot about Katie’s fun oatmeal cooking method– must try in the future! I just always turn to cooking them my usual method in the morning, as that’s whats most convenient.

Favorite tea would have to be Celestials sugar cookie sleigh ride tea. I know it’s holiday tea, but who says you can’t enjoy Christmas tea year- round? Got it @ WF….

Gaby January 13, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I can’t believe I haven’t tried katie’s trick yet! I love oats, the more the better! I always have to use at least a cup to cook up and then I add toppings and granola haha. I’m a cereal monster! Cashew is actually one of my favorites with almond as tough competition. And I love that bowl, it’s beautiful!
I am also a huge coffee addict and I know I need to cut back but tea is just not the same. It’s good and has it’s time and place but sometimes I just need coffee, I don’t understand when people say replace coffee with tea because they taste nothing alike. When I visited Maggie in NY she bought this stuff called Caffix that I think they sell at WF. It’s a powder made out of I *think* roasted barley. I’ve had it a lot in Argentina but it’s not as popular here. It basically is a powder you mix with hot water and it tastes like coffee and has no caffeine. There’s also teacinno for a good coffee replacement.

by the way, Summer is such a doll in your last post! I say you need to post a video of that laugh because I can only imagine how adorable it must sound!

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Gaby,
Yes, I need to try and capture the laugh on video. Will work on that. :)

I’ve tried Teeccino, and it’s okay, but you’re right. Nothing is as good as coffee. I miss it. I drink decaf on occasion, but it’s not nearly as fun. ;)

Clabbermouth January 13, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I LOVE ginger and lime green rooibos by Zhi Tea. They have a little shop in Austin, which is where I buy it, but they also sell on their website.

Any ginger tea is amazing for getting warm in the winter.

Lindsay McAlester January 13, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Peppermint tea caffeine free, of course. I shy away from caffeine at ALL cost! I also adore camomile tea. Have you ever tried hot tea steaped with lemon? Hits the spot…… :)

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Lindsay,
No, I’ve added lemon post-steaping. Will try your method next time. Thx for the tip! :)

aubrey @ italktofood January 13, 2011 at 6:55 pm

i love peppermint tea. It’s so soothing. It also seems to curve my sweet tooth at night. You can get it anywhere too!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog January 13, 2011 at 6:56 pm

That last picture is awesome! Nice learning curve there—I’m inspired!

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Thanks S! :)

chocolate-covered katie January 13, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Oh Heather, I *heart* you. And I think we somehow share a brain, because we seem to like so many of the same things. I had voluminous oats today too, and I’m having more tomorrow. They’re pretty much a regular thing for me. Today’s were 40g oats made with a little over 3 cups water. Then I later added coconut extract, creamer, and a little stevia. Blended it a little with the hand blender and called it oatmeal pudding. Cause everyone knows oatmeal pudding is better than rice pudding, right?

With the fat oats, blended-ness, and creamer, it was super-duper-creamy. I loooove creamy! I looooove you. Oh wait, I already said that :) .

chocolate-covered katie January 13, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Oh, and I really like hot water. I learned to drink it when I lived in China. They often drink hot water, as opposed to tea or coffee. It’s really good, and it doesn’t interfere (flavor-wise) with any of the food you’re eating :) .

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm

CCK,
I always order a mug of hot water with lemon whenever we go out to eat, even in the summer. Love it, and I want your bowl of oatmeal right now. I need to get some coconut extract.

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 9:23 pm

And yes, oatmeal pudding is always better than rice. Love you too. :)

Catherine January 13, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I love egyptian licorice tea. Stash and yogi both have one. it’s so warming and tasty.

Kaitlin With Honey January 13, 2011 at 7:38 pm

That voluminous oatmeal trick is awesome! I need to try that… I like when meals take me a long time to finish. :)

Carolyn January 13, 2011 at 7:46 pm

in the battle between Heab vs. Oats… HEAB would win ;-)

Love love love the blue/white bowl…makes me want to taste what is in that bowl.

BroccoliHut January 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Yum! I agree–CCK’s recipes are flawless:)

Dea January 13, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I’m going to try those oats, tonight! for tomorrow!
My favourite tea is a green chai tea, with a spash of almond milk, I also love a decaf chai, decaf earl grey, and a good minty green tea. (although you’re avoiding mint, right?) I also love the celestial seasonings sugar cookie, but I think it’s seasonal.

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Dea,
Yep, sadly enough no mint as it’s one of my favorites, but I do love a good chai. :)

A Teenage Gourmet January 13, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I’m a big tea drinker! It’s my favorite way to stay hydrated, and I’ve experimented with MANY different brands and flavors. Two of my favorites are

1. “Good Hope Vanilla” from “The Republic of Tea”
2. “Coconut Chai” from Zhena’s Gypsy Tea

I really hope you’ll try these because they are two of my favorites. Both have a warm, spiced, creaminess that’s perfect for the cold! I buy them from Kroger, but they’re both for sale online too.

HEAB January 13, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Sami,
Several people have mentioned the Good Hope Vanilla. Gong to pick some up soon. Thx! :)

Heather January 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I am loving the workouts! Last week I was really sore, but I think I’m already getting used to it. I was totally dreading leg day #2, but I wasn’t half as sore as I was last week! Due to time constraints this week, I’ve already had to take my two off days, so we’ll see how much I’m used to it on Sunday! ;)

I love the Country Peach Passion by Celestial Seasonings, but my absolute fave is the Sugar Cookie Sleighride. So sad that it is only seasonal and I can’t find it anymore!

Rachael January 13, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I get a lot of my teas from Mountain Rose Herbs and Red Moon Herbs, two awesome indie herbalist-run companies. I’m also a fan of Traditional Medicinal’s Chamomile with Lavender – good stuff!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I love the volumious trick!! It always fills me up so much more than a regular bowl of oats. :)

Sara January 13, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Newish reader saying hello! :)

In response to your tea question, my favorite lately is Twinings Revive Herbal Tea in the Lemon & Chinese Ginger flavor. It’s caffeine free, but I SWEAR it gives me the same little midday boost that I would otherwise get from a cup of coffee. And it’s delish!

Hannah January 13, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I’ll have to try this! One of the reasons I love oatbran a zillion times more than oatmeal is because the oatbran, to me, absorbs more liquid and plumps up more. So this trick could well lead me to eat normal rolled oats more often :)

HEAB January 14, 2011 at 12:11 am

Hannah,
I agree 100%. I find oat bran to much more filling than rolled oats. I can get by all morning with 1/2 cup oat bran, but 1/2 cup rolled oats does nothing for my belly.

ashley@quasichick January 13, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Heather,
I love the blue/white china you used in your picture. I just started adding matcha green tea to my smoothies!! Its yummy :)

HEAB January 14, 2011 at 12:10 am

Thanks Ashley, and I’ve never had matcha green tea, but I’ve heard so much about it. Another blogger I know loves to put the powder in her smoothies as well.

Rhoni January 13, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Heather – I don’t often comment but had to recommend my fave herbal tea. Organic mint melange from Trader Joe’s is so delicious with a squeeze of lemon and either some honey or stevia. It’s like a minty lemonade. And it’s super affordable which I appreciate since I drink a lot of tea. Good luck with your workouts!

HEAB January 14, 2011 at 12:09 am

Rhoni,
Thanks – I didn’t even know TJ’s sold its own line of teas. Will be sure to check out the tea selection next time I’m there. :)

Samantha January 13, 2011 at 11:10 pm

LOVE that bowl, so beautiful!

My favorite tea is the original from Good Earth, spicy and sweet, almost like a fireball candy or cinnamon gum…LOVE it! I get it at our local health food store.

Must try the voluminous oats…halved! ha ha!

HEAB January 14, 2011 at 12:07 am

Samantha,
That is one of my favorite teas. So sweet all on its own. Requires nothing else. Love it!

carlee January 14, 2011 at 1:03 am

Your thai dish bowl of oatmeal looks incredible Heather!

Alina January 14, 2011 at 2:26 am

Can’t wait to try the oats. I am crazy about Celestial Seasoning Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride with stevia and homemade Walnut Milk. It’s better than dessert. The only problem is that it is seasonal and hard to find so I try to stock up on it if I find it :)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 14, 2011 at 10:11 am

I just love peppermint, sleepytime and roobios tea. Roobios gives me a kick of energy without the caffeine. Peppermint feels like a breath of fresh air and sleepytime is so calming.

Sarah L. January 14, 2011 at 10:17 am

I love a mix of equal parts lavendar and peppermint…it’s so soothing! I just have organic loose-leaf peppermint tea and dried lavendar and I mix the two together. I imagine you could get both at most health food stores. DavidsTea’s Rooibos de Provence and Coco Rooibos Chai are also two of my favourites (davidstea.com)…I would definitely check out their collection of herbals.

Shauna January 14, 2011 at 10:28 am

Celestial Seasons Gingerbread Spice. I noticed it’s on clearance right now at Target since it’s a seasonal tea. I have to have it with a little milk or almond milk, though.

Vegaholic January 14, 2011 at 11:56 am

Favorite herbal tea is definitely Good Earth Herbal. They make it in caffeinated and herbal, so make sure to get the herbal one. It’s full of spices and soo delicious. Our Trader Joe’s used to carry it (and might still…they were out last time I was there), or I get it at our regular grocery store. Other good ones are chocolate safari and popped rooibos from Tea Source. You can order online (http://www.teasource.com/).

I can tell you’re enjoying your little one! She looks like a sweetie :)

Ana January 14, 2011 at 1:20 pm

It is good to know that I am not the only one who thinks 1/2 cup oats is not enough… I used to think that I was overeating oats when I went back to make a bit more after just the 1/2 cup. Good to know I am not alone!!
I usually cook 3/4 cups rolled oats, or 1/2 cup oats + 1/4 cup oat bran together, or 1/3 cup each oats and oat bran (but I prefer the 1/2 to 1/4 cup ratio of oats to oat bran because I love the texture of the oats!)
One thing I like to do with oats is to soak it for about 10 to 20 minutes before I cook them, that makes them so tender and also increases in size. I never soaked overnight though, something to try. I always just let it soak for about 10 – 20 minutes or so, it all depends on how long it takes me to do the other things I need before cooking my breakfast.
I wake up and just add my oats to the pot with water (2 parts water to 1 part oats), then I go to fix my son’s lunchbox and breakfast. When I am ready to cook my oats they have been soaking for a bit and absorbed a lot of the water. I usually add a tad more and cook. They cook super fast when done this way, and did I say they are really soft and delicious?
As the oats thicken up and absorb the little water that was left I add about 3/4 cups almond milk to the pot and cook a bit more until everything is oh so creamy! I love oats done this way! Soaking is a good thing, as you already discovered!! :-)
If you forget to soak them overnight just let them soak for a bit, I am sure you will notice some difference Heather. By the time you get Summer, change her and get her ready for the day your oats will probably have had time to soak for a good bit! :-) Or at least this is what used to happen to me when Matheus was a baby. It always took longer than I imagined to get things done with him around.
I need to try the blended oats you mentioned once, have been meaning to do that forever but never get to it, I think I will try it tomorrow!

Julia January 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Those oats look de-lish. Katie really can do no wrong :)

I am avoiding caffeine too, and as for teas, my favourite is Celestial Seasoning’s Vanilla Hazelnut. It’s delish, but hard to find! Whenever I spot it at a health food store, I snatch it up.

Joy January 15, 2011 at 6:09 am

First of all that bowl is stunning!
Okay now teas:
My all time favorite (that I literally ration to myself so I don’t get ever get sick of it) is honey vanilla chamomile by celestial seasonings – seriously if you can’t find it email me, I will send you some it’s amazing!
Next up also by celestial seasonings is true blue – it’s
a blueberry tea and a great way to wake up in the
morning!
Lastly by them is cinnamon apple spice which is
awesome (has carob in it) and when I want it a little
stronger I add some applebjuice to it!
For tazo I am all over the orange (which I just looked at and it’s green so forget that one), the passion which is great hot or cold, and the spicy Ginger which is great for bad belly days! I used to love the calm but over did it and now can’t stand the smell!
Then of course there’s teavana my favorite was gingerbread cookie but then they discontinued that (I had/have a few choice words for them about that)
Nowadays I enjoy their lemon mixed with whatever the seasonal fruity one is (I’d tell you which but I am a season behind and the peach is gone again) and also their peppermint is quite good! Can you have roobois teas? If so (I don’t like them so I really don’t know anything about them) my husband and his friends love azteca fire (yes I do tell them this takes away all their manliness)

Sorry that was a little long – I really love tea!

helaine January 17, 2011 at 9:45 pm

1/2 cup oats is not enough for me either – always do the full cup and sometimes still want more (I do workouts in the morning so look forward to a filling breakfast). The voluminous oats sound like the perfect solution, BUT, I do not like creamy oatmeal (actually prefer kamut or spelt since they are a little chewier). For those of you that have tried the “voluminous” method – does the extra soaking/water make the oats extra creamy or do they still retain some chewiness? Would love to try, but don’t want to risk a bad breakfast!!

Thanks!

HEAB January 17, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Helaine,
The voluminous oats were pretty creamy, but I think if you stick to just water, you’ll retain some of the chew. Using any type of milk definitely increases the creamy factor.

laura January 18, 2011 at 12:19 am

Try Good Earth Sweet & Spicy Herbal Tea. I recently had a free sample of this tea at Costco and instantly bought the 3-box package of it! Absolutely delicious and needs no sweetener at all. It tastes even better cold.

Lisa January 18, 2011 at 8:21 am

rooibos is a life saver when you want a darker tea. Rooibos and milk with a little vanilla stevia mmmmmmm..

Melissa February 5, 2011 at 10:27 am

Late to the party(!) but the Republic of Tea makes a coconut chocolate tea that is AWESOME. It may have a tiny tiny bit of caffeine (from the cocoa) but it’s nothing like what’s in normal tea. There are date bits in the teabag, too, so it’s mildly sweet, chocolately and coconutty. I add a bit of stevia (as I have a wicked sweet tooth) and drink like 3 cups at night. Yummo.