Cookies And Milk

by HEAB on January 18, 2011

It’s late. Summer just fell asleep, and I plan to do the same as soon as I write this post. So, let’s get started, shall we?

I’ve been loving on some Ana-fied oats lately…

Coconut oats in the waning almond butter jar.

Ana recently shared her favorite method for cooking oats with me, and it’s quickly becoming my favorite method as well. The recipe requires a little more time than regular oatmeal, but it is so worth the extra effort. Simply soak 1/2 cup rolled oats with 1/4 cup oat bran in 1 1/2 cups water for 15 to 20 minutes. You could soak them while getting ready or working out, etc. Then, bring the oats to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until most of the water is absorbed. Then add 3/4 cup milk of choice (I used HEABified coconut milk) and cook until oats reach desired consistency. Mmmm, creamy dreamy oats. The texture is kind of like rice pudding – I love it! Thanks Ana. :)

I’ve also been loving on these cookies…

Milkeez Cookies. Easy Nutrition for Nursing Moms.

A while back, Abby sent me the link to this article regarding lactogenic, or milk producing cookies (Thanks Abby!). I immediately contacted Making Thyme Kitchen where the cookies are made, and owner Karen Bryan agreed to send me some. The cookies contain various ingredients that are thought to increase milk supply like fenugreek, thick rolled oats, flaxseed, black strap molasses, and brewer’s yeast. There are three different flavors: Molasses Chocolate, Chocolate Chocolate, and Chocolate & Cherry. I inquired about the cookies before giving up chocolate, and when they arrived decided to try one with hopes that the chocolate in the cookie would not upset Summer’s stomach. She was totally fine, and I’ve been eating these as middle-of-the-night snacks ever since. They’re so tasty, and at about 240 calories per cookie, I know I’m getting the extra calorie boost I need for breastfeeding. So far, my favorite flavor has been the chocolate chocolate…of course, that’s probably because I’ve been without chocolate for over a month! I’m not going to dive into my Baker’s chocolate stash just yet, but I think a few chocolate chips every now and then are okay. Anyway, the cookies are delicious – they’re thick and dense, yet chewy, and they would make a wonderful gift for any nursing mama out there. You can order them online here and here…and they’re not just for breastfeeding women either. CD ate a few, and no, he did not start lactating. ;)

OK, I really need to get to bed, but real quick…

My good friend Catherine has recreated the amazing Marathon Burger from local Nashville restaurant, Burger Up. Anyone that has ordered this delicious vegan black bean quinoa burger can attest to the deliciousness, and so of course, I had to share Catherine’s recipe with all of you. Make it now!

Also, some of you may have heard about Joanne from The Simple Wife. She is a 38-year old blogger with two young children, and on January 11 she suffered a major stroke. Her friends have taken over her blog to keep it up and running and to post info. on how Joanne is doing. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you!

Night. :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 18, 2011 at 1:32 am

Glad that you are back with chocolate.

I don’t know Joanne, but I’m so sorry that this has happened- what a sad and crazy thing to happen to someone so young. I’ll keep her in my thoughts for sure.

Maryann January 18, 2011 at 2:15 am

That sounds like an amazing method of making oats! Can’t wait to try it.

I will be praying for Joanne tonight. xoxo

Christin@purplebirdblog January 18, 2011 at 2:26 am

Reading about Joanne brought tears to my eyes. Prayers are uplifted and sent their way!

And yeah, that oatmeal/oat bran combo sounds awesome. Bookmarked.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 18, 2011 at 5:59 am

I didnt know about Joanne’s plight, or her blog, but omg what a horrific and tragic story…her health and her family are in my prayers. Thank you for posting about it.

As for the lactation cookies, as a lactation educator, you KNOW this is music to my ears :) I love that someone is making these commercially and when I was nursing, you know I was all about the lactogenic foods. Fennel and ginger were staples in my diet. Like…daily. lol

I know there are plenty of recipes out there for homemade lactogenic cookies. Some of my friends even after they stopped nursing continue to make the lactogenic cookies b/c they are that good….usually oats + healthy fats make for a great start to cookies.

Hope you and Summer are doing great!

Carolyn January 18, 2011 at 6:08 am

i have a can of coconut milk just sitting in my cupboard waiting to be used.. mmm oats..

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 18, 2011 at 6:16 am

I just prepped those oats to make this morning. Off to the gym!

HEAB January 18, 2011 at 11:18 am

Matt,
Hope you enjoyed both your workout and breakfast! :)

Hannah January 18, 2011 at 6:19 am

After chatting with you on an earlier post about the supremacy ( :P ) of oatbran over rolled oats, I’ll definitely have to give Ana’s trick a try :) Though I might try with oatbran and the rolled spelt I have in the cupboard!

So, so happy you’ve been able to squeeze some chocolate into your life. Fingers crossed Summer’s digestive system keeps behaving as a good chocolate lover’s should! :P

polly January 18, 2011 at 6:31 am

Oh wow Heather. I will pray for Joanne. Makes me think and makes me very thankful. All the dumb stuff I worry about just seems to fade now. I will pray for her, sweetie.

I am so happy you liked the notes! They made me smile, as do YOU every day. Lurve you, Peach!

oh and YES, oatbran and oat combo, is quite yummy. I think I’ll make that combo for my two oat eaters this very moment. It’s super early here, still dark, still in my jammies… hope you girls are sleeping. :)
XO

VeggieGirl January 18, 2011 at 6:36 am

Chocolate lovin’ for the win! :D

lindsay January 18, 2011 at 6:49 am

oh wow, thats scary. Prayers are with JOanne. Please keep up posted on her progress.
LC

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 18, 2011 at 7:15 am

Oh wow – I cannot even imagine going through something as tragic as a stroke at such a young age. She will be in my prayers.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 18, 2011 at 7:17 am

Those oats look so great.
I visited the blog recently, so sad, my heart goes out to the family, always in my prayers

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 18, 2011 at 7:31 am

Oh no, that is horrible for Joanne and her family! That stuff is so scary. I will definitely be thinking of her and her family. Anytime I read or hear things like this, it just makes me want to freeze time with my boys. You never know what the day with bring you so you should ALWAYS appreciate the moments you have with your loved ones!

Kristina @ Life as Kristina January 18, 2011 at 7:45 am

Love oats in a mason jar!
Prayers for Joanne…that is so sad.

Kara January 18, 2011 at 7:59 am

Lactation cookies sound much tastier than labor cookies (I know you probably didn’t get a chance to try those since you went a little early). Those are yuck!

HEAB January 18, 2011 at 11:16 am

Kara – I just googled labor cookies – they don’t sound too bad, but yeah, I think the lactation cookies probably taste a lot better. :)

lauren norster January 18, 2011 at 8:12 am

Sending Joanne some positive healing energy…
and the oats in the mason jar looks so familiar — I used to bring my oatmeal to work in a jar just that size (then I didn’t have to go into work at 6am anymore, so now I get to have breakfast in my pajamas!)

Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun January 18, 2011 at 8:19 am

I don’t know Joanne, but it still pains me to hear that news. I hope all goes well with her and she has a quick recovery.

Abby January 18, 2011 at 8:28 am

Yay for cookies! I’m glad you’re finding something that works for you and Summer!
Now if they could only come up with a cookie that helped babies magically sleep through the night… ;)

HEAB January 18, 2011 at 11:15 am

Abby,
Ha – those would be miracle cookies! ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 18, 2011 at 8:34 am

Wow– that story about Joanne is so sad. Stuff like that is so scary. I’ll keep her in my thoughts.

Those oats do look remarkably pudding-like!

kalli January 18, 2011 at 8:52 am

oh my gosh….that is so scary and sad about Joanne. my thoughts are with her.

Natalie January 18, 2011 at 8:55 am

milk cookies! wow! someone sent me this recipe last night. http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-lactation-cookies-by-noel-trujillo-192346
It needs to be heabified!

HEAB January 18, 2011 at 11:14 am

Natalie,
Yes, I’ve seen those cookies. I would cut out the white and brown sugar and perhaps add 1/2 cup pumpkin or applesauce and a little maple syrup. Instead of 2 cups flour, I would use 1 cup almond flour and 1 cup oat flour. Not sure how they would turn out…I should try making them myself! :)

jen @ taste life January 18, 2011 at 8:56 am

Oh my gosh, I will definitely check out Joanne’s website, and the burger recipe, too.

Hope you got a great night’s sleep!

Baking 'n' Books January 18, 2011 at 9:09 am

Are there raisins hiding in there? Looks like…and makes it all the more attractive to me of course ;)

Thoughts and prayers to Joanne. Take nothing, nothing, in life for granted. It’s scary.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 18, 2011 at 9:12 am

How sad about Joanne.. and how wonderful her friends are keeping her blog up and running. Hopefully, she will be back blogger soon.

Katherine: Unemployed January 18, 2011 at 9:20 am

Love the idea of warming oats; so cozy and great for breakfast

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 18, 2011 at 9:26 am

That oat recipe does seem to take a lot longer, but it has the texture of rice pudding?! So worth it!

And my thoughts will be with Joanne and her family.

Erin @ Big Girl Feats January 18, 2011 at 9:58 am

That is so smart to put the things that help breastfeeding into a cookie! People are so clever. I hope it’s helpful to you and Summer!

I’m thinking about Joanne – the human body is a resilient, amazing thing and I hope she starts to recover soon.

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 18, 2011 at 10:00 am

I’ve been praying for Joanne–she sounds like an amazing woman with a sweet family.

Those cookies look delicious!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 18, 2011 at 10:04 am

Anything made with quinoa, and I’m in. Obviously. :)

Cat January 18, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Amalfi Girl! Let me know how your Q burgers turn out! I’m so grateful to Heather for spreading the quinoa love!!

Cat January 18, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Heather….you are amazing. Not only do those cookies look delicious but you are constantly thinking of others, such an awesome friend! I’m so grateful that you shared my quinoa burger recipe with your readers!! Love & miss u, the fam, and the pups!

HEAB January 18, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Cat,
Anytime my friend. :)
Can’t wait to make those burgers – hopefully Summer will grow out of the bean thing. I read that baby’s gassiness decreases over time. She’s already doing a lot better, and so I may try some beans soon.
Love you too!

Katie January 18, 2011 at 10:44 am

Cookies….cookies…cookies. They’re practically a prescription from your doctor, those cookies. Lucky you!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 18, 2011 at 11:09 am

Those cookies sound wonderful! Glad to hear the chocolate isn’t bothering Summer. Win, win! :)

Ana January 18, 2011 at 11:23 am

Yay, I am SO HAPPY that you liked my method of making oats!!! Really happy I tell you! Now I need to try them with coconut milk. I always make mine with almond milk.
Oh, by the way the Hazelnut Milk turned out AWESOME Heather!! If I lived close to you I would bring you some. Totally delicious, I loved it, much more than the homemade almond milk. It made the oats so flavorful, if you add chocolate to it then you get kinda of nutella oats! :-) I added carob chips to mine and loved it just the same. And almond butter stirred in the hazelnut milk oats was really good too!
My next try will be to make nut milk with both almonds and hazelnuts to see how a mixed nut milk would turn out.
And what a cool idea to make cookies for lactating moms, those are definitely good snacks to have when you are breastfeeding or pumping – I always got hungry when breastfeeding and used to have a fruit or crackers with me.

HEAB January 18, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Ana,
Note to self: buy hazelnuts!

Ellen January 18, 2011 at 11:28 am

try soaking your oats over night (or several batches worth in the fridge can last for a few days). i soak them like recommended in nourishing traditions, which is supposed to make them more easily digested, but they actually taste better too! lovely texture, and much faster than cooking them from dry.

those coconut oats look heavenly.

HEAB January 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Ellen,
I soaked my oats last night. It’s been a while since I read Nourishing Traditions, but I do remember her saying to soak all your grains. It’s so easy – don’t know why I don’t do it more often. Definitely makes cooking them much faster!

Dorry January 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I love fluffy, creamy oats! Soaking them is such a good technique and easy if you plan ahead a few minutes. I also love cooking mine with chia seeds. Really plumps up the bowl. :)

Namaste Gurl January 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I love how you’re always sharing new oat prep methods– this one looks yummy indeed. I love a combo of oat bran and rolled oats as it comes out super creamy. Definitely going to try in near future :)

Praying hard for the family!

melissa @ the delicate place January 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm

i always add double the water to my oats! if you put it in the fridge after heating it, it tends to get thick pretty quickly then add more water and re-cook when you’re ready to chow down :)

HEAB January 18, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Melissa,
That sounds easy enough – thanks for the tip!

Caitlin (EatFeats) January 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Those cookies look so yummy! I am keeping them in mind for when I someday have a baby.

Alex January 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm

The oatmeal looks delicious! I’ll pass the cookie tip on to my cousin who is about to deliver any day now! Thanks!

Megan (Braise The Roof) January 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Haha, I love that CD ate one of your cookies- boys will do anything for a snack! ;)

Praying for Joanne…

HEAB January 18, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Megan,
One? Try five ;)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) January 18, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Well if those cookies don’t cause men to lactate, they should find a formula that does–I’m sure you could use the help. :)

Maybe if you feed him enough edamame he’ll grow some sympathy boobs?

HEAB January 18, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Diana,
Haha! I’ll try slipping some soy when I can into CD’s diet as we could definitely use another pair of boobs around here! ;)

Cailin @ Stir Crazy January 18, 2011 at 3:43 pm

You hooked me in with that subject line… cookies & milk was always (and still is) one of my favorite snacks :) Those cookies look really good. After I saw the photo, I was looking for the recipe! I’ll keep those in mind the next time I might need them.

Nicole January 18, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Joanne is in my prayers. That’s terrible.

That new way of making oats…looks…amazing. You had me at rice pudding :)

Charlotte January 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Mmmm… chocolate! I bookmarked that quinoa and blk bean burger recipe although honestly it looks like exactly the kind of thing I will screw up. And badly. So so sad about Joanne. My prayers for her and her family! I hope she makes a speedy and swift recovery.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 18, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Very interesting about those cookies being able to increase milk supply! And uh…glad CD didn’t start lactating. They’d be like miracle cookies in that case. Strange..strange miracle cookies.

carolinebee January 18, 2011 at 5:44 pm

So sad about Joanne, i wish her a speedy recovery!!

Had to lolllll about the CD-cookie scenario :D Toooo funny, get some rest HEABs, love ya!

Kiran January 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I was sad reading about Joanne. Sending thoughts and prayers for her and the family.

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) January 18, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Ana’s oats look fantastic – thanks for sharing :) And I will definitely be thinking of Joanne.

Clairerose C January 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Yum!! Thank you for the recipe:-)cc

Pure2raw twins January 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm

off to check out that burger, sounds out of this world

And Joanne and her family are in our thoughts and prayers!

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 18, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Those cookies look like they have serious staying power! :D

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 19, 2011 at 12:09 am

Coconut oats sound AMAZING!!! :) Thanks for sharing! :)

Leta June 10, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I met your brother in line for juice at Whole Foods! Glad to find these recipes! :)