Nothing To Fear

by HEAB on January 19, 2011

For the longest time, pregnancy scared me. The thought of becoming a parent seemed so overwhelming. I mean, all of a sudden, you have this new person in your life that requires your attention and care twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. It’s an enormous change, one you can never truly be prepared for. Another thing that scared me about having a baby was the changes that would occur in my body. Would I gain too much weight? Would I be able to lose the weight post-baby? Would I get varicose veins? Would I get more stretch marks?, etc. When CD and I got married, we knew we wanted kids, but I was definitely not ready. However, last year, something clicked, and I was no longer scared. So, after receiving numerous emails and comments from some of you with the exact same fears I had, I wanted to share some of my thoughts and experiences regarding having a baby. I want all of you to know that yes, pregnancy is not always easy, but it so so SO worth it in the end because you get one of these…

So precious. I want another one. :)

Being a mom is challenging in many ways. My entire day (as well as night) revolves around Summer. It’s definitely been a huge adjustment, but CD and I waited until we felt completely ready…although I don’t think you can ever be 100% ready for all the changes a baby brings. It now takes a lot longer to get anything done, and my to-do list is never ending. Leaving the house is challenging, and those spur of the moment trips to the grocery store or Target never happen anymore. There are no more mid-morning yoga classes at my favorite studio and no more sleeping in, but that’s all okay. Target can wait, and thank goodness for YogaDownload! Yes, my life has been totally turned upside down, but I wouldn’t change it for anything.

As far as my body goes, there have definitely been some changes in that department as well. During my pregnancy, I gained about 20 pounds. The first semester was horrible. Not only did I feel awful, but I ate pretty awful as well. None of my usual foods sounded good. I could hardly eat anything and lost about 10 pounds. Then around week 17, my appetite returned, and I ended up gaining a healthy amount of weight. I did my best to eat well but also tried to listen to my body and ate what I was truly craving…read there was a lot of ice-cream consumed. I stayed active. I walked almost everyday and took yoga classes throughout my pregnancy. Just because you have a big belly doesn’t mean you can’t exercise. I felt great during both my 2nd and 3rd trimesters and usually had a lot of energy. Again, there is nothing to fear about pregnancy. It is an amazing and wonderful thing, and if you lead a healthy lifestyle now, then you have all the tools to stay healthy and active while pregnant.

Some of you have asked how my body is feeling post-pregnancy. Well, to be honest, it’s feeling a little flabby. Most of the weight I gained came right off after Summer was born, but there is still some work to do. I wore a Baboosh Belly Wrap for about a month. Post-partum belly binding has been around for centuries, and it really gave my stomach the support it needed following delivery.

This photo of me and my mom was taken the morning we left for the hospital..

And this photo was taken three weeks later…

IMG_6759.jpg

Photo courtesy of Emily Smallcomb Family Photography

I fit into my old clothes, and my stomach is fine. However, I’m not happy with other parts of my body like my legs and arms. I miss my yoga shoulders and biceps. My thighs aren’t my favorite things in the world right now…and don’t even get me started on my boobs. That being said, I know that as time goes on, I’ll tone up, but for now, it’s not a top priority. I’m currently working out 5 days a week (Go Team HEAB!), and I know that staying active during my pregnancy allowed me to bounce back fairly quickly. Of course, my beloved tabata intervals are more challenging, and it’s been months since I’ve done a Chaturanga, but I’ll get back to where I was. It’s just going to take a little time.

So, all this to say that I was frightened to death of having a baby, but I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat. Again, if you’re eating well and exercising pre-pregnancy, then you’ll be fine when the time comes to have a baby. Some women gain more weight than others, and some may have a harder time staying active due to energy levels or complications, but the female body was made to do this. You can so do this. Don’t be scared, and trust me, it’s the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done.

OK, just wanted to share that. Thanks for reading, and I hope that this post encourages some of you out there.

For more on my experience with yoga during pregnancy, please click here to read my interview at Front Porch Yoga.

Hannah January 19, 2011 at 1:03 am

Even though I’m 23 and so tremendously single that having a baby is as incomprehensible to me as chopping off my foot would be, I still feel comforted by this post. Beautifully written, Heather. And just think how lovely it will be for Summer to one day read this post and know how much she means to you, and how you don’t regret a thing!

Jessica January 19, 2011 at 1:33 am

Great post Heather! And I totally agree– every challenge is worth the reward! :)
Summer is so adorable–I love looking at her pictures! My little girl Sadie had hair like that when she was born and now it’s turned very light brown and crazy curly!! :)

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 9:39 am

Jessica,
Sadie – I love that name. :)
My hair did the same thing. Went from black when I was born to blond and wavy. Wondering if Summer’s will do the same. :)

Dea January 19, 2011 at 1:38 am

I’m starting all of the rigamarole to get pregnant with #3, and it is scary. Especially since I have so many infertility issues and the meds mess with me so bad, but it is worth it.
I loved this post, it just reminds me that it’s worth it. You’ll have your yoga shoulders and biceps again, muscle memory is a great thing! (I tell myself something similar, a lot right now.)

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 9:40 am

Dea,
Scary, but super exciting at the same time. :)

emma-kate January 19, 2011 at 2:35 am

Hi, first time commenting though I’ve been reading awhile. Thanks so much for this post! We’re only planning to start trying to get pregnant in about 2 and a half years, but even so the thought of pregancy and what it might “do” to my body freaks me out! But I do have a very healthy lifestyle, so I’ll try to hold on to that and remember that it’s worth it. Summer is so beautiful, so that makes it easier to believe you that it IS worth it :)

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 9:40 am

Emma-Kate,
Thanks for reading and yes, it IS worth it. I promise. :)

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini January 19, 2011 at 2:41 am

What a beautiful post! Keeping as active as you can is so important. I have had so may women come through my pregnancy yoga classes + then coming back to mum + baby yoga looking and feeling good thanks to staying active.

While it’s not going to change my mind (I’ve chosen not to have kids, teaching yoga to kids from pre-natal to teens is my ‘mothering’) I know it will help so many.

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 9:42 am

Rachel – that’s awesome you do that, and I know it WILL help many. :)

Marty January 19, 2011 at 5:21 am

Heather, I LOVE the picture of Summer! It’s sooooo precious! And with her by her crib! Very touching and heartfelt story about fears about pregnancy, before and after, and the wonderful realization that you are willing to have more children, lovely. I can see a little HEABman in your future?! Xo, m

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 9:42 am

Marty,
Perhaps. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 19, 2011 at 5:56 am

Beautiful post, Heather.

And there is no way to *truly* comprehend your words until you’ve come out the other side and have that baby of your own, in your own arms. No amount of telling girls that “oh it’s worth it, you have a baby, it’s the best thing ever” *fully* clicks and sinks in til they have their own baby. THEN, it all clicks :) My opinion only, but people told me this til they were blue in the face but I didnt fully, deeply internalize it til I held my own.

Plus, I think that nature has a built in mechanism that just ensures that as women, we grow, evolve, and move past focusing on ourselves and our body and that we now take care of our baby; that person that’s totally dependent on us.

Of course, we need to also find ourselves as women, as people, not just as a mom. And I’m so happy for you that you are doing the little self-care things that are soo important. And one day soon, you’ll have your yoga shoulders back, too :)

Lovely post, Heather!!!!
xoxo

Cailin @ Stir Crazy January 19, 2011 at 6:21 am

This is so true… it is absolutely worth it! I would do it all over again and endure the flabbiness again in a heartbeat!
And although you may not feel like your usual self right now, you look fantastic! That is a beautiful photo of you holding Summer.

VeggieGirl January 19, 2011 at 6:24 am

So powerful. Thank you for sharing your sentiments.

Katie January 19, 2011 at 6:41 am

I am not planning on having a baby anytime soon (only 18! haha!), but this post was great to read. I’ve obviously thought about having children someday, and sometimes it does scare me. I don’t want to lose the body I have, but like you said, a woman’s body was made to have a baby. Things will work out in the end. An instructor at my gym was still teaching classes up until a week before she delivered, and she was back to teaching just 3 weeks after birth. You can’t even tell that she had a baby. She’s superwoman! Haha

lindsay January 19, 2011 at 6:54 am

what a great post! I know we will definitely be having kids, just not right now. I think that being pregnant and a mom is the most rewarding and amazing thing you can do with your body. Thank you for confirming this and as always, summer is just precious and so are YOU!
LC

Debra January 19, 2011 at 7:01 am

My ABSOLUTE favorite post of all time! So heartfelt and comforting to all your readers who might share your same sentiments. Put this on a hardcopy and insert it into Summer’s baby book.

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 9:44 am

Thanks Debra and good idea on the baby book copy. :)

Ashlei January 19, 2011 at 7:02 am

I love that black and white of you and Summer!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 19, 2011 at 7:10 am

Awesome, awesome, awesome post! I have to admit, I always “think” I’m ready, but then when I actually visualize it, I know we’re not ready as a couple for kids. Of course if it happens, it happens – but I can’t wait to be a mom. You have fallen into motherhood just beautifully!

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel January 19, 2011 at 7:19 am

Thanks for this post, Heather. It seems like all of a sudden, all my friends and I can talk about is babies. All of us are getting excited about the prospect, and all of us are nervous – both about being pregnant and about what happens on the other end!

It’s good to hear that others feel scared even after they decide to dive in (we’re still not quite there yet, but getting closer).

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 19, 2011 at 7:28 am

Seriously, it never goes back. I will tell you that, for me, some things got better. I don’t know what the science is behind it, but I think you are absolutely right. I think if you are driven to be healthy before, it will actually enhance your body later. Having babies is not easy. The fear, the ups, the downs…these things all continue even after you have them. It is the most amazing and wonderful thing you will ever go through. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy waking up every day to my two boys! Thank you for sharing your fears and thoughts Heather! You are an inspiration!

Oh and summer is just beautiful!

One more thing, the wrap. I have no idea why they don’t show people to wear those. They didn’t with me either, but after having abdominal surgery twice, they gave me abdominal wraps and they are truly a life saver. They give your back so much support since your abdominal muscles can’t. Great suggestion!

Emmy (Wine and Butter) January 19, 2011 at 7:28 am

Oh HEAB-Y! So you know your blog was the main inspiration for me starting mine right… and it wasnt just so I’d have an excuse to talk about food and spend even more time with my mac-book ;) – it was because I was always so floored with your open-ness and honesty – its very inspirational!
I also wanted to share a funny story – my mum has me when she was relatively old (about 38). I was pretty spoilt as a kid, and also an only child- so id always assumed she’d tried for years and eventually I arrived. However, when she came to visit last I was talking about my friends having kids and how I totally didnt feel ready, but then I suppouse you never feel 100% ready etc. and she comes out with… ‘ well , no – I mean I never even wanted to have kids and then along you came and I just HAD to adjust and make do, but then obviously ended up loving you so much’. I was floored. She then informed me that (despite endess begging from to have a sibling) she was so ‘wiped’ (read traumatised) by the experience of having me she just couldnt even begin to think about it – and then by the time she could it was all too late!. What a foundation knocker that was!! Love to you and Summerll! xox

ashley@quasichick January 19, 2011 at 7:29 am

Beautiful post :) I remember feeling some of those some fears when I got pregnant with my first child. I was so afraid of something going wrong with my pregnancy, the baby, or me. In the end everything turned out perfectly and we are a blessed and I have two beautiful daughters. Becoming a mother is truly a beautiful experience and one tha is so hard to desribe in words!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad January 19, 2011 at 7:35 am

You look amazing, Heather. And the one thing you forgot to mention is the glow you have had ever since you got pregnant and had Summer ;)

I am still terrified. But I have a few more years to get over that, I think.

Also – yay for yogadownload! Have you ever tried Leslie Sansone’s Walk at Home workouts? I have been really into them lately (about to start one right now – I got sidetracked by blogs). I’ve done 2 of her 1-mile ones, a 2-miler, and the 5-miler.

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 9:46 am

Thanks Maggie, and no I haven’t tried Leslie Sansone’s Walk at Home workouts, but will google them as you know, I always love your workouts. ;)

Thanks for the tip!

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 19, 2011 at 7:38 am

What a thoughtful post Heather, its always a complete pleasure to read your blog. I’m a long way away from having a baby but it does scare me all the same! I think you’re a great role model in terms of body issues after baby since you’re staying healthy and balancing your family priorities with getting fitter too. :)

Kimberly @ Healthy Strides January 19, 2011 at 7:44 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this – I needed it. I am 15 weeks pregnant, and I have been stressed about my eating, exercise and weight gain. So much so that I was rambling to the doctor during my appointment yesterday and nearly missed the heartbeat. Realizing that helped put things into perspective.

You are such a fantastic example for moms and moms-to-be. I loved reading about your pregnancy and look forward to keeping up with your journey.

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 9:48 am

Kimberly,
CONGRATS!!! So exciting, and you are going to be just fine. Do what you can to stay fit and healthy, but never let that take away from the joys of being pregnant…and there really are joys. I miss those little kicks so much, and now whenever Summer gets the hiccups, I think about her having them in utero. I even miss my belly. :)

carolyn January 19, 2011 at 7:50 am

I love that picture of you in the nursery..

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood January 19, 2011 at 8:02 am

Wonderful post and amazing pictures :) I absolutely agree with you; it might seem like a lot of work but the little face staring back up at you in the end is sooo worth it.

I want three ;)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 19, 2011 at 8:05 am

Summer is so precious! Thank you for sharing, this, Heather, it’s all so true. I was just nodding along as I read.

jen @ taste life January 19, 2011 at 8:20 am

Beautiful post, Heather. I definitely want children, but am not quite ready. I’m not so much concerned about the changes my body will go through (but I probably will be when the time comes!), but more worried about the lack of “me” time. I’m 31 and am so used to my partner and I just going out to dinner whenever we want, going on vacations, etc. However, I think the time is getting closer and closer to me having a child, as I definitely feel that “mommy” pull!

Love that picture of Summer – she is just gorgeous!

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 9:51 am

Jen,
The lack of “me” time was huge for me. That’s one major reason why I wanted to wait. I’ll be honest – it’s still hard, trying to fit everything in while Summer naps or in the 3 hour window I have in-between feeding her, but again, so worth it! For now, enjoy your time with your partner, but keep in mind it will still be possible to go out to dinner and take trips after you have kids…it’s just a little more work. :)

Loring January 19, 2011 at 8:29 am

I rarely post comments on blogs, but your post today really resonated with me. I’m at home with my 1 week old daughter and yesterday was having a ‘what was I thinking?!’ day — lots of crying, not much sleeping, etc. (Though that question is easily answered every time I look at her sweet face, as I’m sure you can understand! :) ) I appreciate hearing your perspective a few months ahead of me…gives me something to look forward to in these first few challenging days of learning to breastfeed and just being a Mom. You look great — I hope in 3 weeks I can fit into my old clothes too! And Summer is just a doll.

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 9:57 am

Loring,
Oh gosh, that first week was HARD! I had a few breakdowns, but everyone kept telling me it would get easier, and it does. I promise. Hang in there and enjoy all that newborn cuddle time. You’ll be sleeping again before you know it! :)

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 19, 2011 at 8:29 am

I’m 20 and have many many years until I even consider getting married let alone having a baby, but I love this post. This is beautiful. :D

Erica January 19, 2011 at 8:31 am

Love this post…so fabulous for me to read right now :) I am VERY excited to have a baby. And yes- the first trimester is no party! I am walking 6 days a week right now and plan to bring some yoga in too! Exercise makes me feel fabulous. I will definitely be hitting you up for more and more advice as the weeks go on ;)

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 9:58 am

Erica,
I bombarded my friends who were already parents with questions throughout my pregnancy, and they were so much help. I’m here whenever you need anything. Again, so happy for you and Josh! :)

Baking 'n' Books January 19, 2011 at 8:33 am

Summer is perfect! You’ll be fine – the stomach is usually the MOST difficult part – the rest will come back to you :)

rachael (peace, kale, and yoga) January 19, 2011 at 8:39 am

Beautiful post! The experiences of pregnancy, birth, and parenthood are not easy but are amazing and rewarding. Summer is gorgeous!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 19, 2011 at 8:40 am

Wonderful post!! I’m only 20, so not looking to have children in the near future (gotta find me a man first! lol) but this was very interesting! I’m sure most women share these fears and it’s nice to hear first hand how you have dealt with them.

Kristine January 19, 2011 at 8:44 am

Thanks for sharing that, Heather.

polly January 19, 2011 at 8:46 am

A beautiful post, my sweet peachy.
XO

p.s. Can I have Summer for breakfast? She is just plain edible! :P XO

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 9:59 am

Polly,
Yep, but only if you enjoy her with a side of almond butter. :)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 19, 2011 at 8:50 am

This is so helpful and so encouraging. Thanks for taking the time to calm some of your readers fears!

carolinebee January 19, 2011 at 8:56 am

Awww Heabs, what a truly beautiful post. I can see that ANY downsides that may come up are nothing in comparison to that gorgeous smiling face :) Makes me want to call my beautiful momz and thank her for taking care of me for so long! Lol…now that I’ve moved away and gotten a taddd more independent, she is enjoying soooo many new hobbies and made soo many friends and has so much fun..I’m so happy for her! Although, I know she still loves it when I call her bawling about some ridiculous problem or other ;D
xoxooxo

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 19, 2011 at 8:57 am

Thank you so much for posting this :D

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 19, 2011 at 8:58 am

I’m so happy for you! I’m thrilled that you are enjoying motherhood. My husband and I are set on not having children (I always have been and he always had been, and we agreed before we even got married), but I still love children and I love to see people who have babies as a thought out decision and who appreciate their kids and are up for the challenge it is to raise them. Kudos to you! :)

Charlotte January 19, 2011 at 9:02 am

So so beautiful Heather! I’ve said this before but it has been such a joy going through this pregnancy “with” you. You know I totally understood your fears and I’m grateful to understand your joy as well! You are a beautiful mama, inside and out and Summer is just phenomenal. PS. So excited you want another one (at some point!) – watching you child love on their sibling is a whole new level of fun!

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 10:00 am

Charlotte,
Ha – CD was ready to have another one the day after Summer was born, and I was like, “Honey, my crotch is still on fire. Give me a few weeks.” ;) No, but seriously, we really do want more, and I can’t wait! :)

Leanne January 19, 2011 at 9:03 am

Thank you!! What a wonderful post and for me personally (5 months pregnant) it is also very timely. It has been much easier to relax on my own “rules” and really listen to my body than I thought and I’m very grateful for that.

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 10:02 am

Leanne,
You’re so welcome…and you have so much to look forward to. Happy to hear you’re listening to your body. It’s the best thing you can do for you and baby. :)

Melissa B. January 19, 2011 at 9:09 am

Thank you for the tip on YogaDownload, Heather! I scoped it out a bit, and now I can’t wait to go home and try it after our upper body workout :)

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 10:03 am

Melissa,
You’re welcome. Love YogaDownload. The classes with weights are really challenging as are the Ashtanga classes. Oh, and the hot power fusion yoga is one of my favs as well as the hip opening sequences. Enjoy the site!

karina January 19, 2011 at 9:26 am

Yes its all worth it!

Susan January 19, 2011 at 9:26 am

You are a gorgeous mother Heather! I know you will get those yoga arms and legs back in no time. I’m glad your fears have been alleviated and you are just full of joy!

brandi January 19, 2011 at 9:27 am

I am so, so happy for you two and little Summer :) Thanks so much for doing this post. Nick and I know we want a family someday and these are definitely things I think about, too. It’s nice to know you’re not the only one thinking about these things.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 19, 2011 at 9:41 am

Ohhhhh, I so needed to read this right now! We watched the documentary “Babies” last night, and I kind of had a mini panic attack, thinking, “OH MY GOSH– I can NEVER do this!!!!” Babies are pretty distant on the horizon for us right now, but even so– they’re there! And they’re freaking me out!!! I needed to read a post like this today, so thank you!

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 10:06 am

Anna,
You’re welcome! You know what really struck me about Babies…well, besides the fact that some cultures don’t use diapers (had never occurred to me before), but I found it so interesting to see that the babies in Mongolia and Africa were totally content without all the toys and mommy and me classes, etc. They just crawled around in the dirt and seemed so happy. Made me realize that babies don’t really need a lot of stuff, you know? Anyway, don’t freak out Anna. You’ll be fine, and you’ll make an awesome mommy someday. :)

Julie January 19, 2011 at 12:41 pm

some cultures don’t use diapers?!?!?! ew.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 19, 2011 at 9:46 am

So funny. I have a post like this on motherhood in the works myself. I feel just as you do. It’s definitely got some challenges but it is so incredibly worth it!

Meagan January 19, 2011 at 9:53 am

Great post Heather. I really enjoyed reading that. Thank you for your thoughts (and the update!) I was wondering how you were feeling in your body post-pregnancy. I am glad to hear you are doing well :) The flabbiness shall pass! lol

Ashley P. @ The Vegetable Life January 19, 2011 at 10:04 am

Thanks so much for this post. We are talking about trying to have a baby in the next year or so and this really calmed some of my nerves. Your daughter is beautiful!

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 10:07 am

Thanks Ashley P, and you’re welcome. Best of luck to you. :)

Heidi January 19, 2011 at 10:09 am

Aw, what a nice post. I have 2 kids and want more but I still love reading things like this. I keep trying to tell my little sister in law that it’s worth it, no matter what happens because she doesn’t want kids at the moment(I was the same kind of 15 year old so I don’t blame her at all). It’s amazing what women think they could never do and then after they do they keep going back for more :D

Hanna M. January 19, 2011 at 10:29 am

Thanks for sharing. I get slightly panicked just by thinking of giving birth, but reading that you would do it again in a heartbeat was very reassuring. But, to be honest, extra flabbiness isn’t very tempting (although _you_ look great!)….

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Hanna M.
Yeah, the flab is no fun, but hopefully it will be gone soon. :

Annie@stronghealthyfit January 19, 2011 at 10:33 am

Heather, I can’t thank you enough for this post. I went though high school and most of college saying I absolutely did not want kids. I’m terrified of actually giving birth, much less being a good parent. I’ve never been naturally good with kids, but I am starting to feel like I want to be a mother at some point. I’m 25 so I’m not in a huge hurry but I don’t want to wait too long either. It was so good to hear your perspective, and one that was also afraid of pregnancy/motherhood at one point.
PS- that pic. of you holding summer is amazing!

Kelly January 19, 2011 at 10:41 am

This was such a comforting post. It was real and honest and puts into perspective that sometimes there are more imporant things in life than what our thighs look like. You look fabulous in that “after” picture and you looked fabulous pregnant. :)

Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses January 19, 2011 at 10:42 am

Amen. I couldn’t agree more. I’ve gone through body changes with three different pregnancies. I’ve got the stretchmarks and c-section belly to prove it. But I wouldn’t change it for the world. My body is still capable of amazing physicality and my loves make the world go round. :)

AllieNic @Frisky Lemon January 19, 2011 at 10:54 am

Thanks so much for sharing this! I’ve always been curious about post-baby body feelings…I’m not anywhere near having a baby myself, but my boyfriend’s sister is pregnant right now and I KNOW that she worries about it…I have a feeling that sometimes the body image issues we have before pregnancy can be amplified/worsened after pregnancy….even though the weight you gain is for your little one.

It’s really nice to hear your story– I admire how down to earth and sensible you are!

Rach January 19, 2011 at 10:56 am

I’ve had a lot of these same fears about pregnancy. My older sister has been my hero, though. She had two babies back to back (her kids are 13 months apart, not planned) and she looks fabulous. She finds time to juggle it all and be an incredible mom. It’s amazing to see her go. :)

By the way, you look amazingly incredible in that shot three weeks after giving birth… that’s awesome. Thanks for the tip on the Tauts wrap! I’ve never heard of that before.

Andrea of Care to Eat January 19, 2011 at 10:56 am

A very timely post for me – the daily, physical aspects of my pregnancy have gotten really hard for me all of a sudden and I’m not dealing with it very well. I know it is all worth it in the end, but it’s still a challenge to be upbeat when your own body is holding you back. I wish I could fast forward three months and hold my baby girl already!

Fallon January 19, 2011 at 11:06 am

Thanks for sharing your wonderful thoughts. Gaining weight was always a fear of mine when I decide to start having babies one day. People around me who are very active and lead a healthy lifestyle, similar to mine always bounced back after pregnancy. They kept up with workouts and eating has healthy as possible while being pregnant. Then I also know people who are not active and do not eat healthy, they haven’t lost any of their baby weight and probably gained more after having the baby. I see both of these stories, including yours now, I’m definitely not going to worry! When the time comes it will be the best time of my and my husbands life.

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Fallon,
Yes, it will be the best time of your life. I love your positive attitude. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog January 19, 2011 at 11:06 am

I loved reading this. I am definitely one of those people scared crapless about having a baby. I used to say I just didn’t want kids, but now I could see myself having one… eventually. I’m 28, so I have time. :)

melissa @ the delicate place January 19, 2011 at 11:07 am

this was interesting to read about the things that most women aren’t willing to talk about readily. i think you look fantastic! you didn’t do the whole pregorexic or binge out and eat anything you want and gain a gazillion pounds just because you were pregnant. i get upset when i hear people say i’m eating for 2…not really. you don’t need to double your intake growing a baby…you may grow diabetes instead! i’m 100% sure you will tone up again (tabatas +good diet) are the keys. i’m still a huge fan of bodyweight exercise/prisoner workouts because i think they are what has made me leaner/stronger. best of luck!

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Melissa,
Bodyweight exercises are definitely the way to go – I wished more people realized that all that cardio is so NOT necessary.

L January 19, 2011 at 11:08 am

You look awesome! AND…I really, really, really appreciate this post. It is so encouraging and positive and helps alleviate a lot of the fears I have.

I don’t mean this in a bad way, but most of the pregnancy stories I’ve heard are from women who DIDN’T ever take much of an interest in their health before becoming pregnant…and their post-partum stories are a little scary! I like hearing from someone who enjoys exercise and healthy eats (with treats too, just in moderation!)

I’m saving this to look back at when we decide its time for a little one…to remind myself I can do it and I will be okay!

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 2:59 pm

L,
You will totally be okay! :)

Kaitlyn January 19, 2011 at 11:09 am

Hi Heather, I have been reading your blog since the spring, but I have yet to leave a comment. I really appreciate you sharing so many aspects of your pregnancy and life as a new mom. I really enjoyed this post seeing as my husband and I are planning to start trying for a baby in the next couple of months. I have been completely freaked out about all the changes that are going to happen to my body, but reading about your experience has definitely helped ease some of my fears. Plus I know in the end it will all be worth it. I am so excited to be a mom! Thanks for being so open and honest and writing such an inspiring blog.

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Kaitlyn,
You’re welcome and thanks so much for reading. Good luck with the baby plans – I am so excited for you. It’s awesome. :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence January 19, 2011 at 11:16 am

Thanks for all your advice and reassurance. I’m a far way away from having kids, but I definitely have some of the same worries. I also think you look great for having Summer so recently!

Alyssa January 19, 2011 at 11:23 am

Lordy, she is a cute baby!!!!!

Both of my kids were born with a full head of hair. My son’s fell out & grew back in (at first in spikes that stuck straight up like an orangutan, it was so cute!), but my daughter’s just stayed put and kept growing.
I exercised during both of my pregnancies. During my first, I would swim 3-5 days a week, do prenatal yoga, and walk with Hubby every night. As the pregnancy went on, the walk became slower; we started by covering about 10-12 blocks in 30 minutes, and by the end of my 3rd trimester it was 2-3 in the same amount of time, lol!
Once the babies were born, I put them in a stroller or attached them to my chest and kept walking. As they got bigger, the jogging stroller and backpack carrier became my best friends. (My son would always fall asleep in the backpack, and his little head would rest on my back. My daughter managed to stay awake, lol!)

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Alyssa,
I’ve got a ring sling and a Mei Tai carrier, and I can’t wait to strap Summer on and take walks once the weather gets a bit warmer. When she’s a little bigger, I hope to get an Ergo carrier. :)

jeanna January 19, 2011 at 11:28 am

Heather, Thank you for sharing this. As a woman who is fit and active it does scare me to death, but it is encouraging to have woman like you talk about your experience.

Thank you for sharing!

Dorry January 19, 2011 at 11:54 am

Wonderful post! Very encouraging to me as a newlywed who wants children someday. I love that you stressed if you’re eating well and physically active before you get pregnant, you’ll be able to maintain that while being pregnant. I imagine one of the weirdest things for me will be dealing with cravings for food that I haven’t craved or eaten in years (or maybe ever!).

You look beautiful. A happy, glowing mama.

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Dorry,
Yeah, the cravings were tough, but I just went with them…Pop Tarts and all. :)

Sami January 19, 2011 at 12:18 pm

you can say that again! that picture is enough to make ALL of us want one :)

xo.

Ashley January 19, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I just passed this on to my sis in law, who is currently preggo! Great post Heather.

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Thanks Ashley. I hope your sis-in-law is feeling well. :)

Corey @ the runners cookie January 19, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your raw feelings and insights, Heather. As a early/mid-twenty something, I’m years away from being ready to have kids, but I still think about it – the sacrifices I will need to make to my life, my career, my body. It is scary sometimes, and I have a lot of fears, but I am sure if I wait until I am financially and mentally ready (that day will come!) I will never regret it. Starting a family is something I really want to do, and I think on some level it’s okay to just embrace the fear and realize no one feels 100% ready, as you said! I am sure your yoga arms will come back quickly when you get back into yoga – right now your focus is on much more important things :)

Julie January 19, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I’m no where near having a baby yet, but it doesn’t stop the scary thoughts I have about having them! But it’s not the bodily changes that take up most of my fears, it’s what happens to my body during labor. I have heard some nasty as* stuff that goes down, and that would deter me from having kids (not really). Well that, and explosive poops (not…really).

Having a dog scares me for crying out loud.

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Julie,
Labor was fine…well, I say that after having the epidural. Just try and go to the bathroom before things get too intense. That will help prevent any possible “explosions”. ;)

Julie January 19, 2011 at 2:58 pm

LOL OMG I meant the babies poop explosions!! Dirty diapers scare me!

you must think I’m a creep!

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious January 19, 2011 at 12:50 pm

beautiful photos! great post. we are thinking of having kids and i’m a bit scared of the whole thing so thank you for your insight. i think staying active will help.

Caitlin (EatFeats) January 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm

What a wonderful post. I’m not worried about weight gain, but changes to my body scare me (as do labor and delivery omg). I like the thought that “the female body was made to do this.” I had never thought about it that way!

Annalisa January 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I’m glad you did this post! I’m 22 weeks and I feel like a chubby cherub doll more than a glowing pregnant woman :-) I try my best to eat right (there have been more than a few days lacking veggies but always tons of fruit – oh well), and I work out 3-5 mornings a week plus long walks with the hubs. I’m so used to when I work out, I get results — or when I put on 5 lbs, I can lose it in a few weeks. This has been much more mental than I thought it would be.

We were prepared for having a baby but, now I start thinking of things I never considered before. I love my relationship with my husband and I know this baby will be awesome in so many ways. However, I can’t stop wondering if I’ll ever feel like the baby is a 3rd wheel. It sounds bad!! I know it’ll be great but I am just trying to wrap my mind around all of these changes coming our way.

PS – why didn’t anyone tell me pregnancy is the longest time period of your life?? ;-)

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Annalisa,
I understand all your feelings – had them myself as CD and I are best friends, and it’s was difficult to grasp the fact that all of a sudden there would be another person joining us. However, I have to say that’s it’s been awesome, and now it’s like the three of us against the world. I love it. :)

And yes, at times I felt like my pregnancy was flying by, but some days it definitely seemed like the longest 10 months of my life!

Kiran January 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I want to have a baby right now! Summer is super cute :)

Tracy January 19, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Summer is so sweet, so adorable!!

I’m I the first to say she looks just like CD?

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Tracy,
Nope, several others have said she looks like her daddy, and CD loves hearing it! :)

Sarah R January 19, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Great, great post! It couldn’t have come at a better time. :)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Wow.. you barely looked pregnant in that pic!

Motherhood is amazing. I had my kids young before I realized that there were a million things to worry about. I’m glad I did because if I had waited until I felt ready I probably never would have had kids!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods January 19, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Heather,

Thanks for posting this! Though kids are a ways off for me, it’s nice to hear that we all have the same concerns and fears and that it will all be ok. xoxo

Caree @ Fit-Mama January 19, 2011 at 2:44 pm

What a great post. It is sooo worth it though…all of the things us mamas have to go through….but I wouldn’t trade anything for the world. I would have a caazilion babies if I could. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 19, 2011 at 3:08 pm

First, I love, love, LOVE that B&W photo of you and the baby in the nursery. It’s just resonates serenity to me. :)

Second, thank you for sharing your experience. It’s very encouraging. The thought of having a child scares me–a lot! Not the pain or weight, but more the expectations of being a great mother. The day will come, but you’re so right: healthy eating and staying active are the most important thing you can do pre-pregnancy, not to mention stress reduction! Having a balanced mind and soul is just as important as your physical. :D

Alison January 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Heather…So you know my twin sister, Erin Miller I do believe! Random connection there…but I just wanted to say I like reading your blog (as clearly a lot of people do!). Secondly, I am 100 percent in agreement with everything you wrote about becoming a mom and how it changes you in many ways (but is completely worth it of course). That is an honest and insightful reflection, one that I can relate to having had a baby this year as well. And way to go on keeping up the exercise and healthy eating as you are definitely inspiring me to do the same! Take care!
-Alison

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Alison,
Yes, I love your sister, and I always ask her about you b/c you had your baby right when we shared the news with everyone. Thanks so much for reading my blog – such a small world, and I’m always so happy to hear from Erin that you and your little one are doing really well. :)

Kara January 19, 2011 at 3:35 pm

This is a great post, so well written! I agree with everything you said. I actually found new levels of exercise endurance after giving birth. Running just doesn’t seem as hard as it did before. I can do yoga poses now that I couldn’t do before. It doesn’t make any sense, but I’m not going to question it :)

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Kara,
Makes sense to me…those contractions were so much harder than any race I ever ran in…nothing compares. After labor, anything seems possible if you ask me. :)

Jess January 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I’m 15 weeks into my first pregnancy and reading this post made me feel confident that I’ll be able to reach my pre-baby weight again and get back into my exercise routine (though of course it will be flexible). Loved it!

Samantha January 19, 2011 at 4:19 pm

What a great post…and totally REAL! Many women are afraid to admit their fears about pregnancy and motherhood, the physical effects on their bodies, etc. The after picture is wonderful…saying it again, LOVE your photographer!

Keep up the good work and more importantly, the finding balance in your daily life.

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Thanks Samantha – I love my photographer too. :)

Namaste Gurl January 19, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Wow, amazing post indeed, Heather! I can totally feel the sense of honesty pouring through the post and most bloggers can’t do that. I can always depend on your blog for honesty and truth! So great to hear your testimony from bearing a child and something you’ll look back on in many years to come:)

kathleen January 19, 2011 at 5:30 pm

you’re right. having just gone through it. there’s nothing to fear. i think all women have this fear that they will exercise, eat well and gain 800lbs. i think when my mom finally admitted, “no i gained that much because i ate”. i felt better about being pregnant. plus your body changes come on over almost 10 months which gives you time to adjust to most of the changes. i think it’s right after you delivery where it’s really weird. all i could do was laugh at my huge-no-more-baby in there squishy uterus.

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) January 19, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Summer definitely looks like she’s worth every bit of it :) And I really think you look great afterwards! I’m so glad that you think it was all worth it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Katie January 19, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Heather, thank you so much for this post. To anyone who is scared, here is another person saying it can be ok. I had a similar experience – both of fear of what would happen to my body before I got pregnant, and then actually having a really great experience. I jogged, swam and biked (stationary bike in last 20 weeks!) through my entire pregnancy and never in my life have I enjoyed, felt proud of or liked my body as much as I did during pregnancy (after the nausea/looking-fat-instead-of-pregnant phase of the 1st trimester). I actually feel better (and feel like I look better) now 13 mos after giving birth than ever before. And yup – the baby is totally worth it, even apart from all that other stuff!

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Katie,
I loved my pregnant body too! Miss that belly. :)

Lissa January 19, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Love this post and would like to give it a big DITTO!!! So glad you addressed this. As you know, I had those same fears … and surprisingly, pregnancy allayed all of them. It was a beautiful experience — and I would do it all over again.

Like you, I gained just what I needed for the baby, and was exercising and eating well pre-pregnancy and remained active during my pregnancy. And though I am 4 weeks out now and have a little more than 8 lbs to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight (plus 12 to get to my comfy weight), I am not in a rush and know it will happen in due time. Having had a C-section I still have to wait 2 more weeks before I can resume physical activity (and I’m not going to push it even when I can resume my workouts) — I’m loving my time home with Maya more than I care about the gym. While I know my body will not be the same (even if I lose the weight) I love knowing what my body did–created and nurtured a living breathing baby — who I’m now nursing and nurturing. It’s incredible–all of it!

Truly glad to have read this today — and so happy you shed light on this!

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Lissa,
So happy to hear you and Maya are doing well. :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 19, 2011 at 6:27 pm

What a beautiful post. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Though my husband and I are eons away from having a child, the thought is a bit scary and it is comforting to hear how worth it it is. Your daughter is beautiful and you are doing GREAT!

xoxo

KG January 19, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Heather,

THANK YOU. My husband and I just found out I was pregnant a week ago and although we have been dreaming of this moment, in the last few days I’ve been letting the bloating, weight gain, bigger boobs and all the anxieties of the unknown overtake the joy of being pregnant.

Your post has reminded me of what an exciting time this is for me and my husband! Thank you so much!

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 8:02 pm

KG,
Many congrats – reading your comment gave me chills. You have so much to look forward to, and don’t ever let anything take away from the joy of being pregnant. Honestly, I wasn’t very joyful that first semester, but after that, it was wonderful. :) Again, congrats!!! :)

Kath (Eating for Living) January 19, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Thank you for sharing this! First-hand experiences are so precious to get to know! :)

Amanda Y. January 19, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I still cannot believe how small you were the day you went to the hospital, let alone the fact that you look amazingly perfect like you were never pregnant in your 3 weeks after picture!!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 19, 2011 at 8:22 pm

This post is wonderful, Heather. :) I’ll admit..childbirth seems like a scary thing, too and even though I’m only 20..it’ll hopefully happen in a few years when I’m ready. :) I can only imagine the joy of having your own child..it’d make it all worth it and every minute of it just wonderful. Thank you for writing this. :)

Natalie January 19, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Great post Heather -and I’d like to add that you were on the lower end of the weight gain which was nice too – and you looked fantastic even at the end there – seriously, you’re about to go to the hospital to have a baby? You look 6 mos pregnant.

Pure2raw twins January 19, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Heather thank you so much for sharing this. I have always wanted kids, but after seeing what my older sis is going through, I decided maybe kids are not for me. But now after reading this, I do think I want kids. They are the greatest gifts, a lot of work, but as you said worth it. I think you have the right attitude, an amazing one to be exact. I sure hope I am as strong as you are!!!

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Pure2Raw,
When the time is right, I know you will make an amazing mommy. :)

Quix January 19, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Thanks for this! I’m not yet ready, but I’m getting closer as the years go on… it’s more the logistics and losing the selfishness I’m afraid of… my days are about ME. I take care of 30 people at work, not sure I’m ready to do it at home too…

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Quix,
I’m the same way and have always treasured my “Heather” time, but I love spending my days with Summer, and I still get in my “me” time when she naps. :)

Rose January 19, 2011 at 10:29 pm

This is so honest in so many ways, and I very much appreciate that. I am no where close to being ready to have a child, but I assume I would have many of these fears. The idea of being “ready” is a big one, and I look forward to the way my life progresses – and the changes I may embark upon. I will star this post and re-read it in another 5 years :)

Tenaya Roberts January 19, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Well said, Heather!
Oh, and btw…..you barely look pregnant in the picture of you and your mom. You look fantastic 3 weeks later! ;)
Keep up the good work. That little Summer is definitely a keeper. Let me know if you make it out to Arizona this year, I’ll meet you for a hike.
Hugs….

HEAB January 19, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Hi Tenaya, I hope you are doing well. CD and I were just looking at the 5 day forecast for Phoenix and would love to be there right now, and yeah, I think I’ll keep Summer – she’s kind of nice to have around. ;)

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 19, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience. You are so inspiring! I want to be a mother when I grow up! :) This has helped me realize that being a mother is nothing to worry about. Thank you! :)

xoxo
Kathleen

Casey Thomas January 20, 2011 at 1:35 am

This is such a helpful post Heather – thank you. Your honesty is wonderful and not something you hear often around pregnancy except form your closest friends!

Please do keep us updated :)

Smriti January 20, 2011 at 1:36 am

First-Summer looks adorable!!
Second-I love that carrot/egg dish-totally going to try that out.I have a bunch of carrots and I hate chewing on them like a cow :D
Third-It is great you share your experiences,someday when I get a baby I am sure to revisit your blog.Keep the smile on!! you look great the way you are,

PS-I made a cocoyo parfait-next time you get a sweet craving then http://smritialive.blogspot.com/2011/01/coco-yo-parfait.html
Have a great day!
Smriti

michelle January 20, 2011 at 5:40 am

You’re so right about all of the fears being completely worth it. I thought those fears would go away but I am 41 in 2 weeks and working on a third babe with the same fears….if not more. Although the baby years are tough and sleep deprivation is like torture, the reward is indescribable.

HEAB January 20, 2011 at 5:43 am

Michelle,
Baby #3 – so exciting! Best of luck, and you have nothing to fear. Just keep focusing on what you’ll get in the end. :)

Grace January 20, 2011 at 10:44 am

Your heartfelt and honest posts are always inspiring! And thank you for answering my questions about practicing yoga during pregnancy. It was an honor to have your voice join into the conversation at Front Porch Yoga!

Ana January 20, 2011 at 11:33 am

This is a wonderful post Heather!!
So many women out there that are scared about getting pregnant because of body image issues. You showed on your post how things truly happen and that if you do take care of yourself and your body, not only during pregnancy but also before and after, your body will adjust to all the stages and get back to where it was. It might take a while, there might be things that will be different, but nothing major that will affect your life. It is like you said, the female body is designed to go trough all this and mother nature is as wise as could be when it comes to life taking its course.
And the reward is something that words cannot describe. Being a mom is the most wonderful thing in the world, or at least it is the most amazing and wonderful thing in my life!
Way to go Heather, totally like this post, thanks for spreading the wonders of being a mom and how worthy it is!

Amber from Berlinswhimsy January 20, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Such a beautifully expressed post about motherhood— thanks for sharing!

I felt the same way when I was young, before having children. I was so scared! It was quite a transition into motherhood and in such a short amount of time.

I remember going for a walk about 2 wks after I had my son, and feeling like it was so strange to be by myself. I must admit that I it was difficult at first for me to go from being able to jump into the car and run to the store or go out for a run on a whim to having to having to plan, pack, and schedule everything. It’s no small feat to become a mother! It’s so worth it, though! :-)

Jess January 20, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Thanks for sharing your story Heather, it makes me very excited for the day I become a Mom:)

Nicole January 20, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Oh my beautiful friend. I’m still scared even after reading this. lol however you know how I feel. I think a lot of my issues right now are more based around the pressure of being a woman and feeling like I HAVE to do this. I know I don’t have to but in a way I do…because if I don’t soon, I feel like I’d regret it. It’s so frustrating. And stressful. And nerve wracking. You get the picture.

And again, Summer is absolutely gorgeous. <3 I'm so glad you and CD are so blessed :)

Rachael January 20, 2011 at 6:57 pm

This post comes at a great time – thank you. I’m just starting to come out of the closet about my own pregnancy and a lot of anxieties are surfacing daily for me. It’s going to be a challenge to wrap my formerly eating-disordered mind around body changes, but this is one incredibly wanted baby, and I’m looking forward to spring and summer as a time to finally heal while growing something amazing.

HEAB January 20, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Rachael,
What!?! Oh my goodness, many many congrats. I am so excited for you! You’re going to be an amazing mama. Hope the move to Boone went okay. :)

Heather January 20, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Oh my goodness, that first picture of Summer is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!

Did you know that there are hormones produced in the human body that cause a woman to “forget” the pain involved in childbirth so that she will want to continue reproducing? Crazy, huh?

HEAB January 20, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Heather,
Yes, I’ve heard that about the hormone thing, and you really do forget the pain…although I ‘m not sure if that’s from the hormones or the epidural. ;)

Leslie January 21, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Hi Heather,

Thanks so much for your post! My husband and I are thinking about having a baby in the next few years (I’m 32), but I’ve been totally neurotic about it! Your post was reassuring.
Mostly. Here’s the part that makes me want to curl up in a little ball and rock back and forth a little:
“…if you lead a healthy lifestyle now, then you have all the tools to stay healthy and active while pregnant.”
The problem is that not all of us are healthy and fit now. My BMI is in the overweight range, and I am slowly changing my old fast-food, couch potato ways. Being healthy and fit (in my best shape ever both mentally and physically) prior to getting pregnant is one of my biggest goals and motivators: it’s really why I started my blog last year and started cooking and exercising.
I guess what I am saying is that being un-fit adds another element of fear and uncertainty to contemplating pregnancy (that is absent when you’re in such rocking good shape). A sample of my inner monologue: “What if I can’t get to my goal weight? What if I’ve done so much damage to my body by abusing it all these years that I’m at increased risk for complications anyway? Even if I do achieve my goals, what if my new lifestyle changes are so fragile that they collapse when I’m a parent?”

You get the picture :) . I am enormously glad and thankful that you wrote this post, and that we all have a forum to candidly discuss our fears.

HEAB January 21, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Leslie,
I know it’s hard. I had those same fears – still do from time to time. Although I was happy with my body before getting pregnant, I was still scared I’d just throw in the towel and go crazy while pregnant eating everything in sight. I though, “what if I stop exercising while pregnant and after the baby arrives?”, but you know what? I didn’t. Also, if I think about all my other friends that were healthy (as well as on the road to getting healthy) before getting pregnant, their eating and exercise habits stuck with them. Some of them had a hard time while pregnant, but they got back into their old routines not too long after labor and delivery.

My advice is to you is focus on your success and stay positive. Your lifestyle changes will stick. They WILL. :)

Shayla January 21, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Lovely post Heather! I don’t comment much but I follow your blog daily and I loved being “with” you through your pregnancy, and this post was just what I needed to hear! Me and my husband would like to start trying this summer, and though I want a baby so badly and to start a family, I have many anxieties about how my body will be after baby and how our lives will be. I treasure my “me” times, my early morning workouts, our date nights, etc., and I worry about how I’m going to find time for this extra little person! From having a full time job, to doing the laundry, to the dishes, to feeding, to the caring for….I hope I’m not sounding selfish but it all overwhelms me and I wonder how I’m going to do it all! Your post reminded me that in the end it’s all worth it and I hope I can make it through just as well as you have!

Summer is absolutely gorgeous and I look forward to following with you on this journey with your new family….and through the journey of hopefully another Heablet #2! :)

HEAB January 21, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Shayla,
Thanks so much for your kind words and for reading my blog. You don’t sound selfish at all! I actually told people for years that “I’m still too selfish to have a baby right now.”, and I think that is a perfectably acceptable thing to say. You have every right to enjoy your “me” time for now, and when you have your baby, you’ll adjust. I’ll be honest – it’s hard trying to fit everything in to my day, but you learn to make it work. You’re going to be fine, and you’re going to be an awesome mama. Also, I think it’s great that you enjoy your date nights so much with your husband – it means you guys have a strong and loving relationship, and that is so important. Again, you’ll all be fine. :)

Shayla January 21, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Heather your response warmed my heart…thank you so much for those sweet and comforting words. You give me the confidence that I and all us women out here can do it and I thank you for that. I’m going to save this comment for when my worries start to creep up on me! And I love what you said about us having a strong and loving relationship…we really do have that and I’m so happy and thankful for it…it’s what makes me so happy to start a family soon b/c I know what a great team we’ll be and what a wonderful dad he will be! Thanks Heather, you’re amazing and an inspiration to us all! :)

Meredith January 24, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Thank you for this encouraging post!

LauraJayne January 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I loved this post – I finally realized just last week that I did want to have children. I love kids, and I’ve loved the idea of kids, I just wasn’t sure if I wanted them myself! I finally realized that I do! Now I just have the find the right guy! I think that’s even harder!

Bree January 26, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Hi Heather,
Just wanted to say thank you for this post. It is helping me so much as I am currently 7 weeks pregnant and dealing with all day nausea/no appetite and the fatigue, oh the fatigue. Knowing that all of this is normal and that it will pass, eventually, is helpful.

Summer is absolutely beautiful and you look amazing and so happy! Best wishes to your family.

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Bree,
Ugh, it all started around 7 weeks for me – it was awful, and I vowed never to go through that again, but I promise you will forget. I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat. :)

Many congrats to you – so exciting. I truly love being a mama. :)
P.S. I’m always just an email away if you ever have any questions – I bombarded my friends that already had kids with my questions, and it helped so much!

Tammy January 28, 2011 at 10:09 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is exactly what I needed to hear at the moment. I share many of the same fears you had, and it’s so comforting to hear your thoughts when all said and done.

Leah February 6, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Hi Heather, I know I am late to the party on this post but I just found it and I wanted to say how refreshing it is not to see a new Mom run back to the gym so soon. You are taking your time and clearly you can see that other things are important. My daughter is 7 months old and I was exactly like you in the early days. Even some (ok a lot) of days now I choose snuggling with my girl over a run in the cold weather. Who wouldn’t? I am definitely not in the same shape I was before I had Sophie but I am so happy. I was able to lose the weight quite quickly after she was born. I gained 25 pounds and it came off fairly quickly like yours did but I have felt a bit flabbier too. I’ve recently been doing some weight training and slowly but surely things are starting to come together. I would love to get into more yoga like you do. Anyway… I didn’t mean to go on about me through this whole comment but I mainly wanted to get across that our bodies can do amazing things…carry, birth and take care of a child (on very little sleep!)… it’s been wonderful to see the transition you have made. Take care.