Coconut Cream Loving

by HEAB on January 23, 2011

It’s official, I’m obsessed with Sarena’s coconut cream. To make it, I’ve been mixing 2 TBSP coconut flour with 1/4 cup HEABified coconut milk. Sometimes I add stevia (5 drops NuNatural vanilla), and sometimes I don’t. If I want more of a drizzle effect, then I thin the cream out with water like I did for my pancakes this morning. Happy Pancake Sunday!

Coconut Flour Pancakes topped with coconut cream and hot pepper raspberry preserves.

I used to make these pancakes all the time but haven’t had them in a while, and I’m not sure why not as they make me so happy.

Ingredients:

1 egg separated plus 1 egg white

2 TBSP coconut flour

2 TBSP nut milk

1/4 tsp baking powder

pinch of salt

Directions:

Whisk egg yolk and stir together with flour, nut milk, baking powder, and salt. Beat egg whites until stiff white peaks form and fold into flour mixture. Cook pancakes over low heat.

Then, over lunch, Summer and I made a new friend…

We met Heather from Kiss My Broccoli! Doesn’t she have the most gorgeous hair? (Heather, not Summer, although Summer’s is nice as well). ;)

We met at Burger Up, where I enjoyed the beet salad topped with a lamb burger…

I lamb.

The salad was good, but I was still hungry when I got home and busted into the delicious homemade cinnamon raisin oat bread that Heather brought me. You can click here for her recipe.

Thanks again Heather – it’s so good. In fact, I’m about to have another piece before going to bed…slathered in coconut cream of course.

Summer slept through the night for the first time last night. I shot out of bed early this morning wondering if something was wrong, but nope, she was sound asleep and didn’t wake up until 7 AM. I thought I would be really excited when she stopped waking up in the middle of the night, but honestly, I was more sad. I’m going to miss our late night rocking sessions.

OK, time for my cinnamon raisin toast fix. I hope all of you had a wonderful weekend, despite the Bears loss. :(

Amy January 24, 2011 at 12:10 am

Wow! You’re so sweet too miss waking up at night to rock Summer! I’m sure she’ll give you a few more chances at least. I love my babies, but I do not like it when they wake me in the middle of the night. =)

Becki @ Hike, Bike, Eat January 24, 2011 at 12:19 am

I’m in a bread baking mood – cinnamon raisin toast sounds like a good one to start with!

Mama Pea January 24, 2011 at 12:19 am

I’ve had coconut flour in my cupboard for six months and no idea how to use it. I think I love you and Sarena. And Summer too, of course, cutie pie.

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 5:34 am

Mama Pea,
Definitely try the coconut cream. It’s so easy and it tastes so good. I think you would love it. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog January 24, 2011 at 12:23 am

I am so stoked that my two favorite Heathers got to play together! And definitely jealous. But way more stoked! ;)

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 5:33 am

Christin,
We talked about you at lunch today – all good things of course. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog January 24, 2011 at 10:12 am

Awwe, shucks. That makes me feel good! :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 24, 2011 at 12:25 am

This coconut cream sounds wonderful!! I love coconut flour but have a hard time using it in baked goods since I don’t use eggs. Eggs kind of fluff it up a bit ;)

Beautiful looking bread!! YUM!

xxoo

Namaste Gurl January 24, 2011 at 12:27 am

Just purchased BR chickpea flour, but coconut flour is SO on the list. In fact, it’s SO been on the list for quite awhile. :) Think I could sub almond, oat or spelt flour for coconut flour in pancakes? Haven’t had me some pancakes in quite some time.

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 5:33 am

Namaste,
Yes, I’ve made those pancakes with both almond and oat flour. I’m sure spelt would work as well. And, I’ve had chickpea flour on my list for forever. Always forget to buy it. :(

Dorry January 24, 2011 at 12:29 am

Your pancakes look delicious! It’s about time I start experimenting with different types of flours. I can’t get enough Summer pics – she is just the cutest little doll. I’m going to check out your friend’s bread recipe. It looks great.

Monique January 24, 2011 at 12:31 am

Coconut cream?! I def need to give that a try. I think I should also try coconut butter too, it sounds amazing :)

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 5:29 am

Monique,
Yes, you should. Coconut butter is beyond amazing. :)

karen January 24, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Question – when you make your home made coconut butter does it get hard as a rock? Do you warm the jar to get it out or add a litte water or coconut milk to make it softer? I have never bought the commercial kind so I didn’t know what to expect.

Summer is gorgeous btw!

Katie January 24, 2011 at 1:15 am

You know how I feel about coconut, but I actually don’t mind the flour. Of course, you would post this recipe the week after I finish the bag that I had for months. :)

Ashley January 24, 2011 at 1:25 am

Aww fun!!! I feel like there is an abundance of bloggers named Heather. I know of at least 5! That coconut cream is such a good idea and a great way to use coconut flour!! Definitely trying it soon. :)

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 5:31 am

Ashley,
I’ve thought the same thing. Us “Heathers” are everywhere.
P.S. Both Heather and I talked about how we love your blog today at lunch. :)

Ida January 24, 2011 at 1:45 am

Summer is too cute for words! Looks like a fun lunch.

maria @ Chasing the Now January 24, 2011 at 2:02 am

Congrats on a full-night of sleep. I’m sure is weird now, but you’ll love it soon.

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 24, 2011 at 3:58 am

ooh I just saw coconut flour the other day in a random health food store and wondered how to use it. I’ll have to go back and buy it! Excellent ideas as always :)

Emma January 24, 2011 at 5:25 am

Summer is such a cutie! And that bread looks so good – I’m definitely going to check out the recipe! Anything that combines cinnamon, oats and raisins is an instant hit with me.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 24, 2011 at 5:48 am

It’s so cute that you are all misty eyed over Summer’s 1st sleeping thru the night. She will probably wake up again in the middle of the night, very soon :) And you can go be with her in the middle of the night. If she sleeps thru the night forever after her 1st time of doing it…you are lucky :)

Seriously though, I did miss my nighttime nursing sesions with Skylar when she started dropping night feedings. I was happy to drop from 5 to 3 to 1. But after she dropped the last one…i admit, I was misty eyed :)

BOTH you and Heather have great hair. I heard Pantene needs hair models and they’re calling you both!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 24, 2011 at 6:00 am

This coconut cream recipe is so simple! Aka perfect, aka making it every day of my life. Slash I have announced that there MUST be a blogger week dedicated just to pancakes! You in? :)

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 10:33 am

Katelyn,
I’ve done a pancake week before, and it was quite tasty. Sure, I’d be glad to join in the fun. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet January 24, 2011 at 6:12 am

Aw I love Heather! So cool you got to meet her!

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 24, 2011 at 6:21 am

That coconut cream looks absolutely divine…

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun January 24, 2011 at 6:53 am

Those pancakes look delicious! Could I use regular whole wheat flour in place of the coconut flour?
Glad you had a great time at the blogger meet-up! :-D

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 10:32 am

Erika,
I’ve never tried whole wheat flour, but it would probably work. Oat flour (ground up rolled oats) works as well. :)

lindsay January 24, 2011 at 6:54 am

OH I love the “other” Heather. You two coould be sisters with your creations, both are fantastic. Summer is just adorable.
LC

Hannah January 24, 2011 at 6:59 am

Oh my, Summer is still absolutely tiny! So cute! I’m so excited about your pancake recipe for two reasons: 1) After not having pancakes in over a decade, I’ve decided I need to try them again and have been scouting for recipes, and 2) I really want to buy coconut flour but have decided I need to five 5 recipes using it before I’m allowed to purchase ;)

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 10:27 am

Hannah,
I know – I avoided pancakes for so long. So sad for us. :( You can sub any flour in that recipe. It works with oat flour as well, but I hope you’re able to get some coconut flour soon. It’s one of my favorites!

Heather January 24, 2011 at 7:01 am

It was SO great getting to meet you yesterday! I had a lot of fun!

I’m so glad that you like the bread…I would try it with the coconut cream, but my mom stole the rest of my loaf! Guess I’ll have to make some more this week…I’m thinking APPLE cinnamon this time!

PS, love the addition of the whipped egg whites in your pancakes, I’ve heard that makes them super fluffy! I’ll have to try it sometime.

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 10:25 am

Heather,
Yes, beat your egg whites next time you make pancakes – super fluff factor! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 24, 2011 at 7:16 am

Don’t worry, Summer wont always sleep through the night! :)

Marina January 24, 2011 at 7:25 am

Aw, so cute that Summer slept through the night. But don’t miss those rocking sessions, I bet you’ll have them once in a while ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 24, 2011 at 7:27 am

I am glad I god someone else obsessed with the stuff! It’s morning now, I have my huge mug of coffee and now I wish I was eating those pancakes! I am glad Summer let you rest even if it does seem sad for things to change. Trust me though, there will be many late night sessions in your future! Have a great day Heather!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 24, 2011 at 7:50 am

Yay for Summer!! :-) Don’t worry, there will be PLENTY more late-night rocking sesssions. My 2 year old still needs her Mommy in the middle of the night once in a while. :-)

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 10:23 am

Thanks Maryea,
That’s very comforting to hear. :)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 24, 2011 at 8:01 am

What a sweet mommy you seem to be–great that Summer is sleeping well and I’m sure each phase will be as sweet as the last.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 24, 2011 at 8:04 am

So many new flours to experiment with!!!! I feel like I’m always adding another one to the list– now coconut flour is on it too!

Baking 'n' Books January 24, 2011 at 8:23 am

I just so happen to have coconut flour and milk here…what a coincidence ;) Trying to change up flours lately as I seem to use almond a lot in addition to the nuts and nut butters. Not sure if that matters or not?

Lamb I’ve yet to try. I’ve heard mixed things about it. I seen bison at a small local store the other day though – have you tried that?

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 24, 2011 at 8:27 am

I’ve never even heard of coconut flour until now!!! So many new things I need to try!

Erica January 24, 2011 at 9:00 am

Wow- that coconut cream looks SO good on top of the pancakes. And what a fun lunch out. Whenever we finally get back to TN, we’re hitting up that spot (and sweet ceces). Congrats on Summer sleeping through the night! That is super exciting

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 10:22 am

Erica,
Don’t forget Sweet CeCe’s pregnancy special – buy one, get one free. I miss it!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 24, 2011 at 9:04 am

I just did my first Sunday pancake post! Mine were made with corn meal and banana, though, so I don’t know if they can compete with coconut cream. In fact, I think the only thing that can compete with coconut cream would be chocolate coconut cream…:)

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 24, 2011 at 11:10 am

BTW, Heather, I don’t measure when I make pancakes at home–I just put an amount that looks like about how much I’ll want to eat in the bottom of the mixing bowl and add liquid slowly a bit at a time until i get to the desired consistency. If I had to guess, I’d say I used about a cup of cornmeal in my pancakes, and about a half cup of FF milk.

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Great, thanks. The pancakes looked delicious! :)

Whitney January 24, 2011 at 9:42 am

I may have to try those pancakes with my new almond meal :) They look yummy.

Also, I am glad you posted about Burger Up. We are going there tomorrow, and I am already debating between the veggie burger and beef burger (on a salad of course!) Do you have a recommendation?

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 10:21 am

Whitney,
I’ve had the veggie burger, and it’s really good. I had that one atop the beet salad as well. They also have really good sweet potato fries, but honestly, the place so pricey for what you get. Have you ever been to Gabby’s? It’s my favorite burger place in town.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 24, 2011 at 9:51 am

Heather does have the most gorgeous hair! What’s her secret??

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 10:18 am

Samantha,
I think it’s just her genes. The color is so pretty.

Amanda January 24, 2011 at 10:10 am

That’s so cute! I remember doing that, too! I was DYING for a complete night’s sleep, but the first few times my Scouty slept through the whole night, I was like… wait. My baby doesn’t need me anymore in that way. That’s kinda sad. Oh, being a mommy! I’m glad you two are doing so well. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 24, 2011 at 11:16 am

Love the pancakes and the burger salad! They both look so tasty. :)

And now I want cinnamon raisin bread. haha The power of suggestion!

Maria January 24, 2011 at 11:30 am

Wow those pancakes look amazing I definitely have to try them! And wow Summer is getting so big, she is absolutely beautiful :)

Jen @keepitsimplefoods January 24, 2011 at 11:34 am

Summer looks more and more like you everyday!

Katherine: Unemployed January 24, 2011 at 11:47 am

I don’t know if you used the light box but the photo looks great

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Thanks Katherine, but nope, no light box. I took my pancakes outside for the photo. :)

Kelly January 24, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Oh, those pancakes looks so good!!! I just had my lunch, but that picture practically had me drooling! :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 24, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Ohh that coconut cream sounds amazing!! I’m not even sure I’ve seen coconut flour or coconut milk around here though..I’ll have to keep a better eye out.

Devon (Fast Foodie) January 24, 2011 at 12:14 pm

After reading your post pre-breakfast, I decided to add a TBSP of coconut flour to my oats (I usually use peanut flour) and it was so delicious. I am looking forward to having pancakes soon and will definitely be giving these one a try!

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Devon,
I love the flavor of the coconut flour, but it’s just dried coconut – can’t go wrong with that!

Devon (Fast Foodie) January 25, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Indeed, coconut rocks. I have been on a pretty limited diet for the past 6 weeks leading up to a big race for me, so all of my “flours” have been left unused for a while since I am doing no grains (other than oats) right now. Thankfully you reminded me with this post that not all flours are flours. I am thinking I may even need to make a batch of these right away since they work in my current diet.

Corey @ the runners cookie January 24, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I was rooting for the Bears too! Well at least you had some good food yesterday :) It is so fun to meet blog people in real life.
That is the sweetest thing that you were disappointed Summer didn’t wake up in the middle of the night!

Kara January 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I only recently got over the “laying awake worrying why the baby isn’t awake” phase and she’s been sleeping through the night for 2 months now! Ah, motherhood :)

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Kara,
Oh gosh, does the worrying last that long? Hehe, I guess I won’t be getting a good night’s sleep for a while. ;)

Jen January 24, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I was sad when my almost 3 year old stopped waking in the middle of the night, but he will still wake up every so often and need some mama snuggles ;)

Mali K (The Mali K Whey) January 24, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Little Summer is truly gorgeous! And that cinnamon raisin bread looks yummy – gotta try it. Oh, and I heart lamb too. My favourite meat, hands-down!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 24, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Coconut and Raspberry Hot Pepper Jelly! That sounds soooo good!

Ana January 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I need to try your pancakes Heather, they look really good!
On the other hand I tried the coconut cream today (with almond milk) and I really liked! Even Matheus like it too, he tasted and asked if it was a different kind of coconut butter! :-)
Right after I made it plain I made carob coconut cream and we both liked it even more! I warmed up almond milk along with a few carob chips so it was all melty in the almond milk, then I mixed the “carob milk” with the coconut flour and got carob coconut cream, it was so yummy me and Matheus ate it with a spoon, without putting in anything else! I thought you would like to know about our little experiment!
That bread looks delicious too, I looked at the recipe and it sounds like one I have made before. I need to make that again as Matheus love cinnamon and raisins, I think he would totally love the bread!

Ana January 24, 2011 at 3:22 pm

This is the bread I mentioned, I am going to make it again this week!!

Ana January 24, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Oh and I was going to mention about your feeling about Summer sleeping through the night… it is actually a good thing Heather, plus start establishing a nice bedtime routine with her as she starts sleeping through the night and you will have your little hole fulfilled, you will see.
Every night since Matheus was a baby and started sleeping through the night I go to the bedroom with him, we pray together and thank for our family and everything we had during the day, then we say goodnight and I give him a kiss. Now after we pray we talk a bit about things that happened during the day or something he is excited that is going to happen soon. Then I kiss him good night and he reads a book until he sleeps.
I do this every day and it is my favorite time of the day with him! I find it to be a great time to bond as he is calm and there is no rush to do anything else, I really like this!
I always miss this time together if for some reason I am not home when he goes to bed, and he has told me multiple times that he misses it too.
We loose a little, we gain a little. I know how it feels to lose that little bit of cuddling time (oh how much I now, 9 year olds are certainly not much into cuddling anymore…), but you both will gain a few more hours of quality sleep. Plus you are loosing anything really, you are getting a well rested baby and that is always good!
I love the bedtime routine with my boy, and I know I will miss it terribly whenever he decides he doesn’t need that anymore, but I don’t even want to think about that yet! :-)

Rachael January 24, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I’ve actually heard that sentiment echoed by a couple of different moms – something about that late night together time that is super special!
Beet salad and lamb burgers sound especially good today. The iron quest continues!

Alyssa January 24, 2011 at 5:55 pm

That lamb burger salad is making me drool!!

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) January 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I MUST try that coconut cream! I love anything with coconut :)

Alyssa January 24, 2011 at 6:34 pm

(Hey! There are TWO Alyssas here! Cool!)

Every time you post a picture of Summer I just want to pick her up and raspberry her tummy! She’s so squishy-cute!
(I hope that doesn’t sound TOO weird, lol! It’s just that my kids don’t let me do that much anymore.)

Anyway, I’ve got to try that coconut cream. Yum!

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Alyssa,
No, not weird at all. I raspberry Summer’s tummy all the time…she doesn’t quite get it yet. I can’t wait to hear her laugh out loud when I do it. :)

Moni'sMeals January 24, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I love all your pancakes and that cocunut cream I must try!

Clairerose C January 24, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I’m mourning the Jets loss:-( However,that coconut cream could make up for it:-)cc

Kristine January 24, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I love coconut flour pancakes! Well… coconut ANYTHING actually!

I am jealous of all of these blogger meet ups going on everywhere!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 24, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Yeah for pancakes!!! :) Blogger meet-ups are so awesome!! You guys are so lucky! And congratulations Summer!!! :)

Rach January 24, 2011 at 10:56 pm

So cool you got to meet up with Heather! :)

Kiran January 25, 2011 at 12:11 am

Summer is so cute. Post more close ups please? :)

HEAB January 25, 2011 at 1:24 am

Kiran,
Roger that. :)

natalie January 25, 2011 at 4:44 am

yea for summer sleeping the night!! You will miss it but it will be good to get into a routine :)

Monica January 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Sorry and congrats to hear that Summer is sleeping through the night. I am sure that this is a mixed-emotion milestone.

And yes, the Bears loss pretty much made my whole Sunday stupid. Uh, worst game ever – that was worse than our lose to the Colts in 2007. Sad day, very sad day.

Smriti Kirubanandan January 25, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Hola!!

I tried the coconut flour pancakes-I suck at cooking-i am happy being raw.they turned out to be slightly burnt-but i still ate them :)

{ 2 trackbacks }