Adventures in Snacking

by HEAB on January 25, 2011

I didn’t realize how much I relied on chocolate for snacking. For any new readers, I’ve temporarily given up chocolate because I’m breastfeeding, and it bothers my daughter. Whenever I get hungry in between lunch and dinner, I used to just grab a square or two of Bakers unsweetened chocolate. I’m much more of a sweet snacker rather than a savory one, and since I’m all out of my beloved carob chips, I’ve been experimenting with different recipes to satisfy my afternoon hunger.

I made a version of Melody’s Chunky Monkey Mug Cake and topped it with the last of my homemade coconut milk ice-cream and carob coconut cream.

I can’t help but think it looks like a fried chicken patty.

Hehe – not even I would be brave enough to pair fried chicken with ice-cream…but fried chicken and waffles is a whole other story.

For my cake, I subbed applesauce for the yogurt, coconut oil for the olive oil, left out the cocoa and sweetener, and used oat flour. Also, I didn’t freeze it, but ate it warm. Thanks for the recipe Melody. It was quick, easy, and tasted great.

I’ve been eyeing Junia’s Nut & Seed Butter Bites recipe for a while and finally got around to making them today…

I followed Junia’s recipe, using Artisana cashini and raw walnut butters. The muffins taste like baked banana nut butter blobs. In other words, they’re fantastic and make great little snacks.

Next snacking experiment is Averie’s Banana Oats Cake. Can’t wait!

What are your favorite afternoon snacks?

The four random winners of my NuNaturals Stevia giveaway:

Screen shot 2011-01-25 at 10.26.36 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-01-25 at 10.26.57 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-01-25 at 10.28.17 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-01-25 at 10.28.38 PM.png

Congrats to the winners! Please email me with your addresses.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 25, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Heather, I knew you posted this…because I got an email trackback. Gosh I love WP wayyyyy better than blogger, already! Now, if only everyone across the board can see my site. It’s not necessarily up for everyone across the country, but I think it’s like 98% up. Or so I tell myself :)

And yes, when you make the banana oat cakes, lmk how you like them. You can customize them with carob powder, raisins, nut butter on top, whatever works.

Congrats to the winners, too!

Have a super night, my friend :)

Hannah January 26, 2011 at 12:02 am

I am a serious chocolate snacker too – I realised this even more last night when I made a passing comment in a conversation about “my morning chocolate” and the person started laughing. Well, yes, I do have my morning chocolate, and my afternoon chocolate, and my night-time chocolate…

Thank you so much for the link to the nut and seed bites! I’m ridonkulously excited about those :)

Smriti Kirubanandan January 26, 2011 at 12:03 am

Those mini bites look addictive!!!!
I love snacking on flax seed crackers,soy nuts and I LOVE dates with coconut flakes or i fill the inside of it ,with almond butter!

-Smriti

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos January 26, 2011 at 12:09 am

omg, i’m so happy you made them! aren’t they yummy?! ooooo i want to make a batch for myself now too! i def. think my favorite is with the sunbutter bites!

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 9:54 am

Junia,
I love your little bites – thanks for the recipe! Hope to make them with sunbutter someday. :)

Katie January 26, 2011 at 1:02 am

Just finished some bakers unsweetened myself. I’ve been snacking on pureed winter quashes a lot lately. Mixed with a little cocoa powder or maple syrup – perfect! And they are great hot or cold, but I’ve been on a hot kick lately.

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 9:53 am

Katie,
I am in major need of some kabocha. Love eating roasted leftovers! So filling.

Becki @ Hike, Bike, Eat January 26, 2011 at 1:04 am

I used to love dipping french fries into McFlurries at McDonald’s. I bet fried chicken and ice cream would be a winner for me :P

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 9:52 am

Becki,
Haha – I loved dipping my Wendy’s fries in a frosty. :)

Allison @ Happy Tales January 26, 2011 at 1:17 am

A much more of a savory-snack person when it comes to snacks (but don’t get me wrong… I LOVE me some chocolate when it comes to an after dinner dessert!)

One of my fav things to snack on are rutubaga crisps (or sweetpotatoe, or parsnip… you get the idea) I basically love any roasted vegetable seasoned with some garlic salt… mmmm mmm! Does it every time :)

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 9:52 am

Allison,
Rutubaga crisps? I gotta remember that one. Love rutubagas!

Christin@purplebirdblog January 26, 2011 at 1:32 am

That ball of carob coconut cream looks crazy good. I forgot how much I loved carob until recently… the malty flavor is so fantastic! Congrats to your lovely winners… I won on Averie’s blog and got my stuff yesterday… I had the vanilla stevia drops for the first time in my coffee today and I’m officially in love. :)

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 9:51 am

Christin,
Those vanilla drops helped me kick my sugar free vanilla coffee mate habit. I love them too!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 26, 2011 at 1:39 am

LOL, it does look like a chicken patty!

We lived in Atlanta for 2 years and I never understood the whole chicken and waffles thing!! I thought it was a joke when I saw the commercial, lol. Glad to be back in NY before I discovered that I actually LOVE chicken and waffles. haha :)

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 9:50 am

Jenn,
Atlanta is where I first tried chicken and waffles. I had my doubts too, but it’s an amazing combo. :)

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 26, 2011 at 3:50 am

yum! my fave afternoon snacks are either a protein brownie with PB, a smoothie/shake, or rice cakes with something yum on top!

Little Bookworm January 26, 2011 at 4:04 am

Favourite afternoon snacks = fudge babies/fruit and nut bars, yogurt and fruit or chocolate. :)

Kelly January 26, 2011 at 6:46 am

It DOES look like a chicken patty! I bet you just blew some non-southerners minds with talk of waffles and fried chicken. I try to open up my little world of southern delacacies to the rest of the world too. ;)

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate January 26, 2011 at 6:58 am

I really like some granola and greek yogurt in the afternoon. Satisfies my sweet tooth.

Oh, and Kombucha ;)

lindsay January 26, 2011 at 6:59 am

did you say chicken and waffles? We have a drive thru place here in austin that serves it. And yes, its dang good. Maybe they need to top it with chocolate? Or carob? haha.
LC

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 9:49 am

Lindsay,
Drive thru chicken and waffles? That is awesome, and yes, next you go, bring some carob chips to melt on top. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 26, 2011 at 7:14 am

For years I was a “I need chocolate after a meal” kind of person, but I’ve gotten away from that in the last few years!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 26, 2011 at 7:23 am

I think it looks delicious! Nice combinations of flavors. I love making things that look like treats but are so good for you! Stay warm today. I saw you guys were getting snow already!

Kim January 26, 2011 at 7:50 am

I have been making something similar to Averie’s cakes for years. What I do a bit different, is I grind up the oatmeal ( Bella has a strong aversion to the texture) and run from there. Whatever I have on hand I throw in the mix (bananas, cacao powder, you get the point). Spray a glass dish with coco oil and in the microwave it goes, 3:25 secs. Perfect breakfast and snack! Looks like a “normal” cake, she just recently realized it was oatmeal, ha! Another favorite snack is microwave potato chip. Slice a sweet potato with mandolin, spray with oil or mix with oil of choice, our micro takes 8 mins, you have to watch, and healthy chips! Easy peasy!

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 9:48 am

Kim,
Love the chip idea, and yes, Averie’s cake seems really versatile. So funny Bella didn’t know it was made from oatmeal.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 26, 2011 at 7:50 am

Mmmm…those nut and seed bites look tasty! Honestly, I snack when I’m teaching in the afternoon, so more often than not, I just grab a giant apple when I’m running out the door. I wish I could be more creative with my snacks!!

Heather January 26, 2011 at 7:53 am

Loving all your snacks, but this post is seriously making me miss my microwave! :(

Favorite afternoon snacks: my Crunchtastic Nanners on a Stick and lately those Red Hot Blues have been getting me in trouble with my hummus collection…downright addictive!

Susan January 26, 2011 at 7:59 am

I usually need a snack (or two or three) to get me though the afternoon, so I hear you on this! At school, it’s usually raw tofu, nuts, and/or a Larabar. If I’m at home, I’ll usually bake a potato and cover it in peanut butter. And lately I’ve been getting into dates with cashew butter as well. Yummers!

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 9:45 am

Susan,
I always forget about potatoes. We keep a good stock, and I could easily pop one in the oven early in the afternoon to eat later. Thx for the reminder! :)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 26, 2011 at 8:01 am

Looks amazing! The diversity of your eats is really amazing.

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) January 26, 2011 at 8:12 am

My favorite snack is multi grain toast topped with coconut butter and chocolate (or carob!) chips! I’ve also been loving that carob fudge batter I told you about :)

I really want to make the carob coconut cream!

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 9:44 am

Alexandra,
Yes, the batter!!! YUM, and I still need to make your coconut carob cups. I really need to get more carob chips soon!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 26, 2011 at 8:29 am

I like Luna or Lara Bars. Or trail mix. I actually just made a huge batch of that, so I’ll be eating it for a while :D

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 26, 2011 at 8:32 am

Oh wow! I am soo trying this version! I’ll bet it was delicious!

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 9:42 am

Melomeals,
Thanks so much for the idea. Your version looked so much pretty…I think I need to cover mine in your sauce next time. ;)

Kat January 26, 2011 at 8:33 am

mmmm banana-bread things! they always smell and taste like home and mom’s kitchen :)

jen @ taste life January 26, 2011 at 8:34 am

Heather, I love so much that you introduce me to all these other blogs and of course recipes that are full of unusual and healthy treats! So much fun to experiment with.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 26, 2011 at 8:46 am

Every time I read that you eat unsweetened baker’s chocolate squares I am just amazed. I can’t imagine eating one of those plain. Crazy!

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 9:41 am

Maryea,
Truth be told I am a little crazy. ;)

Baking 'n' Books January 26, 2011 at 9:15 am

Banana Bite Blobs? Sold!

carolinebee January 26, 2011 at 9:18 am

HEAB, your version totally looks like El Torito’s fried ice cream!! That was my fave back in the day….when I was little I’d always order a PLAIN hamburger and fried ice cream for dessert at mexican restaurants…criminal!

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 9:40 am

Caroline,
Oh my gosh, it’s been years since I’ve had fried ice-cream. Used to love that stuff! A plain hamburger at a Mexican restaurant? Not even any ketchup? ;)

Cameo January 26, 2011 at 9:24 am

I am all about sweet. My downfall. I recently went dairy-free/gluten-free and it has really helped to keep my sweet tooth at bay! I am a fan of these anytime bars – see post – again, you can totally customize them…really it’s all about the dates. Oooh, and dates are on my list of fave sweet tooth snacks. http://vergingonserious.blogspot.com/2011/01/delicious-anytime-anywhere-any-day-any.html

Alyssa January 26, 2011 at 10:53 am

Heather, how do you have time to do all this baking and whatnot with Summer? Do you do it when she is sleeping??

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 11:09 am

Alyssa,
Yeah, I bake when she naps, or I put her in her carrier and bring her into the kitchen with me. We’re learning numbers when we measure out ingredients. Same with my workouts – she sits in front of me while I do them and helps me count reps. :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 26, 2011 at 10:53 am

I’m definitely a sweet snacker too. You are amazing to give up chocolate for your daughter. I know I would too though if it bothered B. Nothing like a mom’s love, huh?

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 11:06 am

Tina,
It’s been tough, but thank goodness for carob! I had to give up all cruciferous veggies, onions, and eggs. I’m slowly trying to incorporate them back into my diet to see if they still bother her or not. Eggs seem to be doing okay thus far. :)

Kaleigh January 26, 2011 at 11:02 am

Yum! Those bites look like they could be dangerously addictive!

Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses January 26, 2011 at 11:07 am

The chocolate coconut balls I found on Averie’s site have been my go-to snacks for the past few days! I’m not sure HOW you can go without chocolate!!! I’ve never tried the carob chips. Are they better than the cacao nibs? So far I can’t eat the nibs without wanting to puke.

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 11:14 am

Stephanie,
Oh heavens yes. Cacao nibs are super bitter, and carob is naturally much more sweeter. Try the Sunspire unsweetened chips (they do contain some dairy) – they are my favorite!

Gracie January 26, 2011 at 11:34 am

THANK YOU for this post! I’ve been in a rut of sorts with my meals/snacks. Big bowls of cereal may be tasty, but they haven’t been doing squat for my hunger. You’ve motivated me to get more creative…and more fatty :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence January 26, 2011 at 11:47 am

My favorite afternoon snack is probably pita and hummus- yum!

kathleen January 26, 2011 at 12:39 pm

a weird food combination. chicken and peanut butter. i dated someone a long time ago who grew up in orlando, fl. apparently there was some restaurant who’s specialty was a chicken + pb sandwich. he swore it was the most delicious thing ever.

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Kathleen,
I love chicken and nut butter. Also really good with coconut butter. I’d be in heaven at a restaurant that served chicken + PB sandwiches. I also like putting PB or almond butter on my hamburgers. :)

Kelly January 26, 2011 at 1:32 pm

That is so funny because I am not a chocolate snacker at all. I keep the Baker’s dark baking chocolate squares in my pantry but I probably only reach for it maybe once a week. I just never think about it which must mean I don’t actually crave it. I am a nut snacker…walnuts, almonds, pistacios, pecans…I love them all!!

Pure2raw twins January 26, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I just realized I snack on chocolate too. umm, need to change that :) need some variety, haha

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Pure2Raw,
Why mess with a good thing? ;)

Jen January 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm

When I was breastfeeding my youngest, he had some nasty reactions whenever I ate cheese or ice cream…it was so sad to have to give up those two!
Currently, my afternoon snack is a mug of hot tea and an apple with nut butter. Nothing fancy, but it works ;0

Helen January 26, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I love chocolate as well but have to watch how much I eat! My go to snacks would be one of these two snacks – apple w/ nut butter or Ezekial cinna-raisin bread w/ nut butter :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 26, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I was just thinking about how all of my snacks are sweet! Sweet trumps savory any day for me :)

lauren @ spiced plate January 26, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Since I eat mostly ayurvedicly, I try really hard not to snack in the afternoon, usually I have a few cups of tea. But sometimes, I need a boost. I love almonds or putting tomato sauce on a bunch of mushrooms and chowing down…so good…but maybe mushrooms is a bit strange for a snack?

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Lauren,
Nah, mushrooms don’t sound strange to me. :)

Nicole January 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Lately I’ve been snacking on 2% Greek yogurt with a dab of PB and a dab of honey. So good. Before that I was snacking on nuts and a square of dark chocolate. Also, I try to eat an apple every day too. Hey, you know what they say! :)

Melissa @ For the Love of Health January 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Great snack options! Those look like amazing bites! I may have to make some myself because I am definitely an afternoon snacker and I need some healthier options!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan January 26, 2011 at 6:37 pm

If you like that mug cakem I bet you’ll like the microwave mini peanut cake I posted today! Just sayin’ :)

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) January 26, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Hi Heather! Love your blog!
I love munching on Dannon light and fit with nuts chopped in or cereal. Big Kashi junkie! ;)

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Thanks for reading Jenny. :)

Amy at TheSceneFromMe January 26, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I snack on dried cereal, love the crunch. Have you tried the new Cinnamon Cheerios? So good!
And I love my white chocolate cherry peanut butter on nilla wafers too!
Recently I’ve started making green smoothies, which are so good!

HEAB January 26, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Amy,
No, I haven’t, but I have had the chocolate Cheerios. Those are addictive!

ashley@quasichick January 26, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I love chocolate…I am actually craving some right now :) I just had dinner, taco soup, and I always want something sweet afterwards..

Congrats to the winners!

Melissa @ TryingToHeal January 26, 2011 at 8:04 pm

man, you make me wish i worked from home so i could have more exciting snacks!!! i really like to have my oatmeal blackberry bars for snacks, packed with chocolate chips and berries of course!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 26, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I don’t blame you for turning to chocolate as a snack- it’s the perfect one!! Whether it be actual chocolate or chocolate-flavored something. :P

Clairerose C January 26, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Sweet tater and almond butter &/or Nutzo or apple and nutbutter.mmmmm…It is my favorite part of the day.Actually, any meal time is my favorite part of the day:-)cc

Kath (Eating for Living) January 26, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I’m not so much of a snacker … Usually, I drink tea with almond milk if I get hungry or just tea because I don’t like to put something solid into my belly between meals. Sometimes I have an apple with it, or a smoothie.

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 26, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Congratulations to the winners!

Baker’s Chocolate is one of my favorites too! I love just grabbing a square and having it as a snack. :)

Meagan January 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I didn’t think it was “legal” to snack on chocolate. Now that you do it, I feel validated. HAHA

{ 2 trackbacks }