Best Gluten Free Pancakes

by HEAB on January 30, 2011

This morning I made Alex’s One Size Fits All Pancakes.

I followed her exact recipe, using brown rice flour and HEABified coconut milk. I also added a little cinnamon to the batter, and the result was seven beautiful fluffy medium-sized pancakes. I covered three of them in a TBSP butter and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Several reasons I loved these pancakes:

1) They were covered in butter, and I butter. :)

2) After all my pancake adventures over the past two years, I’ve grown accustomed to dry and rubbery pancakes…which is pretty sad if you think about it, but Alex’s pancakes were like soft fluffy pillows of joy compared to other gluten free recipes I’ve tried.

3) I had all the ingredients on hand and finally found a use for that bag of brown rice flour that’s been sitting in my freezer for months.

4) Did I mention all the butter? ;)

Do you read Alex’s blog, Spoonful of Sugar Free? If not, you really should. It’s one of my absolute favorites as her recipes never require HEABifications. Thanks Alex!

Happy Pancake Sunday!

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 30, 2011 at 10:35 am

I love pancakes, but I’m horrible at making them! They always turn out too flat, undercooked, overcooked, or just plain burnt. :( When I go home next weekend, I’ll have my dad make some for me. He’s a pancake genius. ;)

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Katy,
My dad makes really good pancakes too. I think most men are born with the ability to make breakfast foods and grill. :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 30, 2011 at 10:36 am

Ahhh pancakes!! Maybe I will have some for lunch:)

ashley@quasichick January 30, 2011 at 10:39 am

I read her blog..found it from you and LOVE it :)

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun January 30, 2011 at 10:54 am

I found Alex’s blog a few weeks ago and I love it! Her Grain-free Banan Bread is in the oven right now! :-)

Baking 'n' Books January 30, 2011 at 10:56 am

You do such a great job of highlighting other blogs HEAB. That’s wonderful. They do look good! Can you freeze the rest later? I just used Rice Flour in Pumpkin-Spice Muffins that have no added sugar either if you have any flour to use up …;)

Baking 'n' Books January 30, 2011 at 10:57 am
HEAB January 30, 2011 at 1:33 pm

BnB,
Yeah, I’m sure you could freeze them. I just stuck mine in the fridge and ate two more for lunch. No need to freeze the leftovers here. :)

chocolate-covered katie January 30, 2011 at 11:04 am

Love Alex! She’s an absolute sweetheart.

And I agree with Baking ‘n’ Books. Heather, you are a breath of fresh air in this blogworld. Ok, in the REAL world, too! You ALWAYS ALWAYS think of others first, and it is amazing.

Also, when you link to others’ recipes, you don’t just give them a tiny link and then copy/paste their entire recipe on your own site, which so many people do! You actually give them proper credit. I really can never, ever express how amazing you are. And now I’ve used the word “amazing” three times in this comment. Well, times that by a million and it will equal how amazing you actually are :) .

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Oh gosh Katie, you are too kind. :)

I love giving people credit for their brilliant recipes, yours included…which reminds me, I have so many pizzert ideas spinning around in my head. I should totally do a pizzert week! :)

chocolate-covered katie January 30, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Oh my gosh, do it! ‘Cause you have the yummiest ideas, and then I can learn from your brilliance. One of the recipes on my to-do list for a loooong time now is your vanilla bliss, so I might just have to do a CCK-HEAB fusion by putting the vanilla bliss on a pizzert. Then it’ll be extra yummy because I’ll be thinking of you while I eat :) .

Ashlei January 30, 2011 at 11:12 am

Those look so pillowy and delicious!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate January 30, 2011 at 11:12 am

Making those ASAP ;)

Gen January 30, 2011 at 11:13 am

Mmm those pancakes look amazing!

Picky Nicky January 30, 2011 at 11:22 am

Hooray for Sugar-free Alex!! She makes awesome recipes :) I haven’t had pancakes in so long, you just sparked a craving in me!!

VeggieGirl January 30, 2011 at 11:25 am

Love the fluffy look of those pancakes!

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 30, 2011 at 11:25 am

I echo Katie’s comments – I love this blog because you come across as kind and thoughtful (and of course because of the blog content itself!) Summer’s a lucky girl :)

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Thanks Gill. :)

Amanda January 30, 2011 at 11:28 am

yum, I really love butter on warm, fluffy pancakes. So delicious!

rebecca lustig January 30, 2011 at 11:39 am

ooh, the addition of coconut milk intrigues me! love pancake sunday :)

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Rebecca,
I do too! :)

Katie January 30, 2011 at 11:39 am

I just attempted GF pizza dough, and was trying to think of the best adjective to describe it – you are spot on. Rubbery. Ick. I always just thought that rubbery pancakes and rubbery bread were my only options with gluten free baking.

I admit that I am still scared though….

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Katie,
Funny as I just bookmarked a brown rice flour pizza crust in one of my cookbooks. I’ll try and make it this week and let you know how it goes. It would be really good with your raw pesto come to think of it! :)

Katie January 30, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Weird. I just made a new version of that same raw pesto yesterday. I have the Twilight theme song running through my head right now!

I want to try the version in Alisa’s cookbook. Which one did you bookmark?

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Katie, it’s in this cookbook: http://www.draxe.com/the-real-food-diet-cookbook/. Will email you recipe if it’s any good.

jen @ taste life January 30, 2011 at 11:50 am

I read her blog because you turned me onto it! I’ll have check out those pancakes.

Diana @ VEGeneration January 30, 2011 at 11:50 am

Wow those pancakes look great! I need my pancakes fluffy too :)

Little Bookworm January 30, 2011 at 11:54 am

I agree with other commenters – it is great that you showcase other blogs (including ‘little’ blogs)! Those pancakes look amazing! I celebrated Pancake Sunday as well today – Banana and Chocolate ones. :D

Natalia - a side of simple January 30, 2011 at 12:00 pm

A recipe for the best gluten-free pancakes? Um…have I told you that you’re my hero, Heather? And it’s not just because Summer has awesome hair ;)

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Haha – thanks Natalia. She does have awesome hair, no? Everyone said it would fall out, but it just keeps getting thicker and thicker. We make fun of my dad b/c he has so much hair – call him a walking Brillo pad. Hehe…at least we know where Summer and I get it from. :)

Dorry January 30, 2011 at 12:08 pm

So glad you linked to this recipe today! I’m experimenting with a gluten-free diet (it’s helping clear up my skin!) and it’s nice to have a recipe recommendation rather than searching through thousands online. :)

Hope y’all are having a great weekend.

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Dorry,
A lot of Alex’s recipes are gluten free. Love that girl. Hope you try the pancakes. I just ate too more for lunch. So good warmed up and served with a big blob of coconut cream!

Amelia January 30, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Mmmm! Those pancakes look very fluffy! I was going to make pancakes this morning, but muffins won instead….slathered with butter. I agree, everything is better with butter. :)

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Amelia,
I forgive you for not making pancakes…as long as butter was involved, your breakfast gets a thumbs up from me. :)

Caitlin (EatFeats) January 30, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I was absentmindedly reading through blogs and I think my jaw dropped when I saw this photo. Those pancakes look so yummy! I made a pancake last night, but charred it…maybe I can redeem myself today.

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Caitlin,
I’ve been there.
Hope you redeemed yourself today. :)

carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) January 30, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Alex is a genius!! i freakin love all her recipes.. soft and fluffy is WHAT Im talkin bout!

Katherine: Unemployed January 30, 2011 at 12:29 pm

going to check her blog now; happy weekend

lindsay January 30, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I love Alex’s recipes. She is a genius. Gotta love her delicous pancakes!
Especially HEABIFIED!
Cheers,
LC

S @ extremebalance.net/blog January 30, 2011 at 12:55 pm

The best thing about all pancakes is that they become waffles in a waffle iron. :D

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 1:41 pm

S,
Haha – yes, I think this batter would make wonderful waffles. :)

Runeatrepeat January 30, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Ben’s pancakes are always covered in butter and I steal some. I should just make my own :)

Kiran January 30, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I want these pancakes any time of the day! Looks so delish Heather!!!!

lauren @ spiced plate January 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I love reading about pancakes and new blogs — so thanks!
I love putting apples into my pancakes — http://spicedplate.blogspot.com/2011/01/snowy-morning-is-perfect-for-apple.html
My husband requests pancakes on our days off — it’s such a relaxing thing to make together. And YES, bring on the BUTTER!

lauren @ spiced plate January 30, 2011 at 2:31 pm

thanks heather! :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Yes, yes, pancakes should be light and fluffy and those look spot on!! :D They actually look like they contain gluten. Butter + maple = perfect! Although, I think I probably like nut butter + jelly more. hehe

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Having all the ingredients in the house is the makings for an awesome recipe :D

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 30, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Those do look perfect!

Meagan January 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I know what you mean! I love finding other food bloggers that I don’t have to substitute every third ingredient in their recipes to make it so I would like it. That’s one thing I like about Elana’s blog. I just change out the graspeed oil and agave for coconut oil or butter and maple syrup or raw honey!

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Meagan,
I do the exact same thing and always sub coconut oil or butter and maple syrup. :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 30, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Oh, why didn’t I have pancakes for breakfast today?! We may have to have breakfast for dinner tonight–I’m totally craving those delicious-looking pancakes now.

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Maryea,
I love breakfast for dinner. Enjoy! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 30, 2011 at 4:03 pm

The pancakes do look PERFECT!!!

Butter. I love butter. There is no vegan replacement that really tastes like butter. And butter is a beautiful thing. I happen to enjoy it myself :) And have no shame!

Enjoy your day, my friend!

Namaste Gurl January 30, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I can always depend on your for creative, yet yummy pancake recipes! I wonder if you could just grind brown rice, creating brown rice flour instead of buying store- bought. That’s what I do with all my other grains….. :)

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 8:50 pm
rachel January 30, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Hi…Did you use eggs or flax eggs? Thanks!

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Rachel,
I used 1 whole egg. :)

Heather January 30, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Wow! Those have got to be the fluffiest pancakes I’ve ever seen! I can’t believe they’re gluten free! Alex’s recipes are great! She is so creative!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 30, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Yum, I made pancakes today too! Best weekend breakfast ever :)

Courtney (greeneyedrunner) January 30, 2011 at 8:07 pm

hah, I know what you mean! I’ve gotten so used to rubber disk pancakes that it’s almost sad. Adding pumpkin always help with HUMIDITY, but still. Thanks for posting this, I’ve got brown rice flour just begging to be used!

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Courtney,
You’re welcome. Enjoy. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog January 30, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I was thisclose to picking up a bag of brown rice flour the other day… now I’m gonna go back and get it! :)

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 30, 2011 at 8:46 pm

What kind of butter do you use? I like Smart Balance’s Light with Flax.

What happened to the Almond Butter????? ;)

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Kathleen,
There is room in my heart for both almond butter and regular butter. My favorite butter is Kerry Gold. So good!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 30, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Same here. :)
I’ve never tried Kerry Gold. I’m going to have to give it a try. :)

Nicole January 30, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Do you think I can make my own brown rice flour in the BlendTec? I don’t live near any store that carries it and I’m guessing the homemade version is much cheaper. ;)

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 8:53 pm
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 30, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Looooooove pancakes! Those look great!

Jill January 30, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Now I’m inspired to try some new flours. Maybe this will require a trip to Whole Foods…how convenient ;-) I’ve realized that the secret to good, fluffy pancakes is buttermilk or something similar (just gives them this texture and tanginess somehow!) and baking soda/powder. The recipe I use has both and apparently they interact with the ingredients at different times during the recipe (when they’re first added and then when cooking starts) to really make things rise.

Oooookayyy…that was seriously Alton Brown-level dorkiness but it’s just a little fact I love. Plus, you know I’m a little insane :-)

(And butter/maple syrup-the REAL maple syrup-are definitely the other “secret”)

HEAB January 30, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Jill,
You are so not dorky! I love learning how food/recipes work? I knew there was some trick to backing soda/baking powder, but I’ve never really understood the science behind it. However, I definitely know that real butter and real maple syrup elevate pancakes to a whole new level. :)

Alisa Fleming January 30, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Those look SO perfect. Why oh why do eggs have to be out in our house? The flax egg just doesn’t work as well in pancakes, alas.

Hannah January 30, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Okay, the world is clearly taunting me for having just posted about Ani Phyo’s raw vegan “pancake” cakes and admitted that I don’t like normal pancakes… because these actually look fantastic.

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood January 30, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Gosh, I wish I had made some of your pancakes this morning before I left the house! I could’ve definitely used the energy!

I hope you’re having a wonderful weekend, Heather :) My brother’s teahouse in Amherst, MASS just opened and I’m so happy for him! :-D http://lifeisgoodwithfood.wordpress.com/2011/01/30/limered-teahouse-opening/

Happy Sunday! And once again, thank you soo much for your oaties, if I haven’t already. They were delish and made an excellent topping choice for my oatmeal bowls, keke ;) <3

kate@ahealthypassion January 31, 2011 at 12:07 am

oh yummy yummy those pancakes look so fluffy and light! Nothing better than pancakes on a Sunday morning.

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 1:25 am

Kate,
Agreed. Love Pancake Sundays. :)

Christopher Hill January 31, 2011 at 2:17 am

Heather, I want to wake up to those pancakes for breakfast.
Your posts always make me hungry. =)
How about blueberry pancakes or banana’s on the side. Mmmmmm.

Chris =)

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 7:12 am

Chris,
Mmm, blueberries. :)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 31, 2011 at 7:44 am

I would love to find a new fluffy pancake that my husband loves too. I’ll be giving these a try! Thanks for sharing the new blog… I hadn’t read it before but now I will :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 31, 2011 at 7:48 am

I do not know Alex’s blog, but I definitely need to go and check it out! I need to make pancakes again…it has been too long. Have a great Monday Heather!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 31, 2011 at 8:47 am

Those look so so good!

Heather January 31, 2011 at 10:58 am

Can you post this recipe? They look so good but I can’t follow many of the yummy recipe links that you post such as these and the bitter chocolate cakes. :o ( I guess it’s a firewall thing.

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 11:13 am

Heather,
Sure. :)
Makes a lot of pancakes. Probably feeds 6, but I usually eat about 2-3 servings worth Make ‘em as big or as small as you like!

1 1/2 cups brown rice flour (whole wheat flour works well, too)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups milk or milk substitute
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 egg or egg substitute (like a flax egg or chia egg)
3 tablespoons oil or applesauce (omitting this is fine)
Optional: Add ins like the variations listed below.
First, whisk the milk and apple cider vinegar together and let sit for a few minutes to create a “buttermilk.” Then, mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add the wet ingredients together and mix well. It is better if batter is a little lumpy.

Pour pancakes on a lightly greased pan heated on medium heat. Flip them when the batter starts to bubble. Enjoy with toppings of choice

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 31, 2011 at 11:17 am

these look heavenly!! i need to go get some brown rice flour.. i love alex’s blog!

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 11:18 am

Felicia,
You can make your own brown rice flour in the Vita-Mix: http://www.ehow.com/how_5107159_make-brown-rice-flour.html

Nicole @ Of Cookies & Carrots February 1, 2011 at 2:49 am

OMG those pancakes look amazing! I’m so jealous… I am always goign through serious pancake withdrawal while at school (no pan = no pancakes! the kind they serve in the cafeteria is the frozen kind. aka a very shoddy excuse for a pancake!)

I love Alex’s blog :) And yours, of course :)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 4:42 am

Thanks Nicole! :)

Frozen pancakes? That is so wrong. :(

Joy February 2, 2011 at 9:21 am

Heab,
Your posts always make me smile!

{ 5 trackbacks }