True Love Grits

by HEAB on January 31, 2011

Anyone seen True Grit? I have not, but the movie inspired my breakfast this morning. Personally, I’m rooting for The King’s Speech to win the Oscar.

The above bowl is my entry for Abby’s Oscars Edible Extravaganza. I actually didn’t think of it myself. Nope, I have to give creativity credit to reader Carolyn for this one.

So, why is this bowl of grits full of true love? Well, first off, it’s actually half grits and half oat bran, oat bran being my most beloved cooked grain, and secondly, it was topped with a big heart shaped blob of my favorite preserves. Last, but not least, I stirred in a TBSP of real butter, and you all know how much I love butter. :)

Have you seen any of the movies nominated for best picture, and do you like butter and jam porridge?

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood January 31, 2011 at 11:14 am

I love butter too! And jam… especially when it has peppers in it… is soooo good!

Hope you are having a great start to your week, Heather =) <3

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 5:34 pm

You too Sylvia! :)

carrie @ gingerlemongirl.com January 31, 2011 at 11:17 am

oh how I heart grits! they are the best breakfast food evah! And my version of butter (ghee) is just incredible on them!

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Carrie,
I love ghee too, and they’re now selling it in bulk at Costco. I’m going to tell CD to buy me some this weekend. :)

Eliz@The Sweet Life January 31, 2011 at 11:24 am

I haven’t seen True Grit but I hear the young girl in it is absolutely amazing!

Halley (Blunder Construction) January 31, 2011 at 11:25 am

Mmm… used to eat grits all the time growing up (both of my parents are from Alabama), they were often served with just a little salt, pepper, and butter. I would love to try to flavor up grits as an adult and see if I appreciate them anymore! I like the mixture you put together.

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Halley,
You should totally revisit grits. I never liked them growing up, but love them now. :)

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 31, 2011 at 11:27 am

I want the King’s Speech to win as well! I love Colin Firth :)

I’ve never actually tried butter in porridge….pretty much all nut butters are amazing so I”m sure real butter would be too!

Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! January 31, 2011 at 11:32 am

I’ve never actually had grits, but you make them look so delicious! I’m also rooting for ‘The King’s Speech.’ I wasn’t expecting to like it, but I found it breathtaking. I hope Colin Firth wins, too–he’s such an amazing actor! Enjoy your day!

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Gavi,
Agreed! Best movie I’ve seen in a long time.

Kara January 31, 2011 at 11:34 am

I haven’t seen any of the movies nominated…stupid movie theaters and their refusal to let me bring my crying baby :) We’ll get to them as they get released to Netflix!

Dorry January 31, 2011 at 11:50 am

Yes, we saw True Grit last Friday and loved it. Great story and remarkable acting. My husband is a big movie buff and we’ve seen almost all of the nominated movies. I think we have 3 more – The King’s Speech is up next!

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Dorry,
Let me know what you think – The King’s Speech is the best movie I’ve seen in a while. Hope you enjoy it!

Asha January 31, 2011 at 11:56 am

YAY Heather…I’m glad you are rooting for “The King’s Speech”!! Colin Firth is just such an amazing actor…and he and his wife even have their own eco-fashion/art/design store in London…so I have a feeling he is into a healthy/organic foodie lifestyle. Your preserves look soo good by the way! And those pancakes yesterday got me in a very pancake-y craving mood :) :)

I have not seen “True Grit” yet but a lot of people have said it was really good. Maybe you should check it out when it comes out on DVD and make some of your delicious grits while watching LOL!

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Asha,
I love Colin Firth, and I didn’t even know about his store in London. So cool.

Yeah, with Summer here now, I think I’ll be doing the DVD thing more often. Kind of hard to get to the theater. Oh well, I’d much rather eat my grits than pay $10 for some movie popcorn. ;)

Lauren January 31, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I love butter and jam on toast! I had it every morning for breakfast as a kid. :) Never tried it on oats though!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 31, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I’ve actually never tried butter in my creamy bowls… I just love nut butters too much to skip out on em!

Namaste Gurl January 31, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Good call on combining oat bran and grits– that makes the porridge SUPER creamy, as I’ve found :)
Never seen True Grits, and honestly, I don’t plan to either. Not my kind of movie, to say the least. :) Never tried porridge with butter, but I love it with coconut oil stirred in!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 31, 2011 at 12:12 pm

LOL cute idea!

Jess@atasteofconfidence January 31, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I saw True Grit and really liked it, but I’m pulling for the kings speech, too:)

Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses January 31, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I REALLY want to see The King’s Speech!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 31, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Ahhh I smell yummy vday recipes! it all starts with bfast:)

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Katelyn,
Yes, true love is in the air. :)

AndreaClaire January 31, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Kara, You should talk to your local theatre about starting a “Stars and Strollers” program. Here’s a link which explains a bit about it: http://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/StarsAndStrollers.aspx
When my friend was still on mat leave and I was back in school, we’d go with her little guy about once a month. It was great and I can only think of once when there was an actual distraction from the film (and it was the parent, not the baby).

As for this years Oscars, I’m all about the King’s Speech. I loved True Grit (because I’m a slightly obsessed Coen brothers fan) and thought Black Swan was very well done, but the King’s Speech just has that ‘je ne sais quoi’ that the others (of which I’ve seen 6) just didn’t have.

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Andrea,
The Stars and Strollers program sounds wonderful. What a fantastic idea, but it’s not offered in Nashville. I think I need to speak to my local theater about staring one. Thanks for the info, and yes, The King’s Speech was amazing. Best movie I’ve seen in a long time!

Alyssa January 31, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Haven’t seen any of the movies, but I’m also rooting for “The King’s Speech.” And Colin Firth!!!!!!!!

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel January 31, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Love it :)

I have a date with True Grit later this week!

sami January 31, 2011 at 12:32 pm

SAW true grit.

good movie!…better breakfast ;)

<3 xo.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 31, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I haven’t seen either and I want to see both! Movies at the theater just don’t happen here much any more. Your grits look delicious!

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Sarena,
Yeah, since Summer came along, I don’t make it to the theater much. I should go now while she’s so portable and easy to keep it quiet. I have a feeling that’s not going to last. ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 31, 2011 at 5:25 pm

When we had Jay, we used to go to the theater with the least traffic at odd times. We would sit in the very back (stadium seating) and I could nurse Jay when ever he needed to be quiet. That definitely ends quickly.

Ilana January 31, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I *have* seen True Grit, the original John Wayne one, not the Coen Bro’s version. I really want to see it!
Buttahhh on porridge! I always had butter on my cream of wheat as a kid…butter and syrup! I loved that!

Gen January 31, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Mmmm that looks delish!

Christin@purplebirdblog January 31, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I almost mixed some oat bran in with my brown rice farina yesterday… I’m thinking I’m going to have to do that after all! :D

jen @ taste life January 31, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I think I’ve seen seven of then noms for Best Picture. We are a movie-loving house hold :)

We also love butter and jam!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad January 31, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I made grits on Saturday :)

Evan Thomas January 31, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I LOVED True Grit. I mean, I’m sure this was delicious, too, but wow what a movie.

Ana January 31, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Is Toy Story 3 one of the movies nominated? If yes then I have seen this one! You can tell I am mom by the movies I have watched!! haha!
Is Despicable Me nominated for something? (clearly I haven’t checked out the nominees yet…) This was the best movie last year, it is so funny! Matheus loves it and so do I, we have watched it multiple times since we got the dvd last December and we laugh every time we see it!
Regarding porridge, I would pass the jam, but I am all about the butter! Nothing gives flavor like butter does, and it is truly awesome in warm oats for a take on savory oatmeal!

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Ana,
Yes, Toy Story 3 is nominated, but not sure about Despicable Me. And yes, adds flavor quite like butter…although carob chips might come pretty close. ;)

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel January 31, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Nope, no Despicable Me this year, at least not for animated feature. I thought it should have gotten a nod for animated feature, too!

Clare @ Fitting It All In January 31, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I didn’t see True Grit, but I’m definitely with you on The King’s Speech deserving to win the Oscar. It was one of the best movies I’ve seen in a long time!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy January 31, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I’ve seen True Grit and really enjoyed it – it’s the only nomination I’ve seen!

I also love grits, but I always forget about them until I randomly come upon them again somewhere. I’ve never made them at home – but I think that I should start!

susan January 31, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I would love to see true grit! I also want to see black swan. I’m hoping to make them both happen before the awards, but we’ll see. So far I’ve seen The King’s Speech, Inception, Toy Story 3, and The Social Network. The King’s Speech was probably my favorite. The acting and direction was tremendous!

glidingcalm January 31, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I love butttttttttah.

And, that looks like the perfect winter breakfast!!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 31, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Mmmmm…as a Southern girl, I LOVE my grits. But, I will say– I never put jam in them!!! I’m a grits purist– just butter (LOTS of butter) and salt & pepper for me, please! :-)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 31, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Butter? Yes! OMG, I used to eat oatmeal and farina drowning in butter (and sugar)! :) So good!

I haven’t paid much attention to which movies are nominated and probably have only seen a few of them, anyway! I’m not so good with pop culture. haha

Katie January 31, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I haven’t seen any of the Oscar movies. Sad, right?

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods January 31, 2011 at 2:41 pm

This is tragic. But there’s still time! You can see The Town (nominated for best supporting actor) and The Social Network which are both out on Netflix this month.

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Katie,
Yeah, a little bit. :(

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 31, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Saw True Grit. It was okay. I also saw Inception and LOVED it. But then again, everyone that I’ve talked to has. I really want to see King’s Speech and The Rabbit Hole. That last one might not be nominated, actually, but I know that Nicole Kidman is for Best Actress. Anyhoo, a lot of good movies up this year. It’ll be interesting to see what wins!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods January 31, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Being a southern belle, I love me some grits! I prefer them with butter and salt/pepper. But sugar and cinnamon or jelly also does the trick!

Jen@ keepitsimplefoods January 31, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I should also add that I’ve seen nearly all the Oscar faves (Black Swann, King’s Speech, True Grit, The Fighter, and The Town) and I loved them all! I do think the King’s Speech was the best though and hope it wins!

Megan (Braise The Roof) January 31, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Haha, so creative! Gotta love themed meals. :) I haven’t seen True Grit either, but saw The King’s Speech this weekend and loved it. Amazing acting, fantastic story- I hope it wins, too!

Caitlin (EatFeats) January 31, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I have not been to the movies in so long! I did tag along when my boyfriend and his friend saw Inception. Bad idea because it was too scary for me!

I’ve never had butter and jam porridge, but one of my favorite childhood breakfasts was Cream of Wheat topped with half-and-half and rainbow sprinkles or sugar. My parents were pretttty surprised when they found out my grandparents let me put full-fat half-and-half in my breakfast every morning. Hehe.

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Caitlin,
Your grandparents knew how to do it up right. :)

Rachael January 31, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I love butter. I love jam. And call me a Dickensian orphan-type, but anything gruel or porridge-like makes my heart patter.
Saw True Grit – I’m a sucker for Westerns, even though most of them fly in the face of my liberal leanings :) . I went on spaghetti western pilgrimages in Monument Valley whenever the chance arose!

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Rachael,
Me too – any kind of porridge like texture, and I will love it. Hope you’re feeling okay these days. I’ve been thinking about you. :)

Monica January 31, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Never tried anything with butter or jam mixed together for breakfast, but if any dish involves butter it is a winner in my world.

I have seen Black Swan, Inception, The King’s Speech, The Social Network, and True Grit. I am going to see 127 Hours and The Fighter this next weekend, so hopefully I will be caught up very quickly. :)

Hands down I know I would give the Best Picture award to the King’s Speech! That movie is incredible!

Little Bookworm January 31, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I want The King’s Speech to win as well, it’s an amazing film! :D Never had jam and butter in porridge. I’ve had jam and semolina if that’s count? :)

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 3:52 pm

LB,
Close enough. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 31, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I like butter and jam anything!

And I swear Im not one of those people who sees the face of the Virgin Mary in their corn flakes, but that jam blob looks faintly like a heart to me :)

Movies, awards, etc…it’s truly all a foreign language to me these days. I dont watch any of it! I read blogs, i mean, cmon :)

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Averie,
I know, right? I miss books! Trying to read more…less blogs, more books. :)

Jen January 31, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I don’t get out much, so I’ve never even heard of either one of those movies.
Can’t go wrong with butter and jam, match made in heaven :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 31, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I’ve never even heard of butter and jam porridge, but DAMN that sounds tasty!

Baking 'n' Books January 31, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Real butter? Hmm, I should try that – I’m stuck on the nut variety :)

My sister used to always put butter in her oatmeal when we were little and I thought it was the weirdest thing ever back then! The idea of the gob of butter used to gross me out….not anymore ;) – of course she always used to butter her Chips Ahoy…;)

Haven’t seen The King’s Speech, but I’ve heard such good things about it. I did see The Social Network – amazing performance from Jesse Eisenberg in that one! – and also, um, Toy Story 3…;) hey – it’s nominated! You’ll be watching it with Summer one day :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 31, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I saw True Grit and really enjoyed it! Which was saying A LOT since I get bored with even the most popular movies. And even more since it’s a Western. But yes, I loved it..and I love this bowl, too! I haven’t had grits in forever, the last time being cheesy. :)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) January 31, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I’ve only stirred butter into my oats once, but I LOVED it! :)
Oh, have you seen my banana scramlette yet? Well, it might be more like a pancake, but anyway, it’s delicious!!!!

lauren @ spiced plate January 31, 2011 at 6:46 pm

While there’s a difference (albeit slight) between polenta and grits, I made something very similar for our for breakfast this morning — out of necessity, because we didn’t have enough oatmeal! 1/2 oats (gluten free), 1/2 polenta, 1 tablespoon of real butter (yum!), but mixed it with cinnamon, turmeric, carrots,a nd apples instead of jam.What a coincidence! It tasted delicous and was oh-so-very satisfying.

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Lauren,
Oh wow, I am loving the sound of that breakfast. I just need some apples, and I’m going to make it. Can’t wait. :)

Gina January 31, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I’ve not seen this True Grit yet – next weekend, maybe – but over the weekend I did get to see Iris DeMent in concert (she sings “Leaning on the Everlasting Arms” over the closing credits). I adore her singing & songwriting.

My parents took me with them to see the original True Grit at the drive-in (boy I’m dating myself here! but I was very small). I fell asleep but woke up in time for the rattlesnake scene & it scared the bejeesus out of me. I still remember it after all these years.

And, despite the fact that I am from the South, I hate grits. Shhhh, don’t tell my family! It’s the texture, not so much the taste.

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Gina,
Your secret is safe with me. ;)

ashley@quasichick January 31, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I’ve never seen the show, but I do LOVE grits..I’m from the South!
Girls
Raised
In
The
South

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Ashley,
Haha – whenever I see that acronym, it reminds me of Cracker Barrel as they used to sell shirts with “Girls Raised In The South” written on them. Probably still do. :)

Amelia January 31, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Yes, actually I saw True Grit over the Christmas holiday. The movie was okay but definitely not what a friend of mine talked it up to be. I would have definitely waited for it to come out on Netflix. Oh well!

Love the idea of oat bran and grits! Why didn’t I think of that? Btw, I had oat bran with delicious butter and a poached egg for breakfast. Yum!

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Amelia,
Your breakfast sounds perfect – right up my alley. :)

S -- http://extremebalance.net/blog January 31, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I don’t love *any* hot breakfast cereals / porridges, but I LOVE THE KING’S SPEECH! For that alone I had to comment: if it doesn’t win, I don’t know what right is anymore. :D

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 10:17 pm

S,
Agreed – best movie I’ve seen in a long time!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 31, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Porridge for me! :)

Hannah January 31, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I actually don’t even know what’s nominated, but I loved The King’s Speech (Australia represent, woot! :P ) and last night I saw 127 Hours, which was far better than I’d expected. My emotions were all over the place, and not just because I’d like to marry James Franco ;)

Helen January 31, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Love grits! We southern Louisiana gals have to have our grits with – you guessed it butter – and lots of it :)

Now you gotta come down to the swamp land and get you some shrimp and grits, cajun style!!

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Helen,
I’d love to – love me some shrimp and grits!!!

Ann Claire January 31, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I’ve never actually tried butter and jam porridge, but add butter and jam to anything and I’ll probably love it!

maya February 1, 2011 at 1:18 am

I thought true grit was really good, but it’s not at the top of my list for the best Coen brothers films. They have made so many great movies, you really can’t go wrong watching their work in my opinion! I really wanted to comment letting you know of an AMAZING fudge recipe that I have been making which I hope you get a chance to try:

COCOA ALMOND AGAVE FUDGE
1/2 C almond flour (superfine kind for baking, or it will be less fudgey)
big pinch of sea salt
1-2 tbsp butter or coconut oil (softened or at room temp)
1 tbsp almond butter or peanut butter (or any nut butter)
3 tbsp cocoa powder (or carob!)
3 tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
any additions in the fruit/nut/choc department you like! my favorite so far: chopped dried cherries, pecans, shredded toasted coconut, dark chocolate bits
OPTIONAL:
little bit of vanilla extract or a splash of rum
stevia to taste if you like it sweeter

mix it all together with a fork in a bowl, place in a ramekin, refrigerate overnight or longer for a firm fudge and to let the flavors develop!

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 4:43 am

Maya,
Oh wow – thanks for this easy recipe. I’ve been eating more chocolate here and there without a problem. Totally making this soon. Sounds delicious! :)

maya February 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm

let me know if you do! it really surprises me how fudgey good this is with such wholesome ingredients!

maya February 1, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Let me know if you do! It’s amazing how fudgey good it is with such wholesome ingredients! Forgot to mention, sometimes I add a bit of habanero or cayenne powder too, spicy fudge!

maya February 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm

darn the first comment didn’t go through at first but i guess it did now! d’oh

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 1, 2011 at 7:37 am

I have never had grits, but I sure do love oat bran. My fav ways is raisins, apples, chia some sort of nut butter. So good! Sometimes, I eat oatmeal for dessert.

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 8:52 am

Melomeals,
Oat bran is my favorite dessert – eat it every night. It makes me belly very happy, and I swear it helps me sleep.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

You’re on to something.. oats are known to help calm the nerves!

Katie @ peacebeme February 1, 2011 at 9:42 am

I LOVED True Grit, I loved how they stayed so true to the original with the old, kind-of-corny Western style.

I have never eaten grits, can you believe that? I am from Colorado, but not even when I lived in Tennessee for a year. I feel like I would like them because I love cream of wheat. But I can’t eat gluten so I guess I could eat grits since they are made from corn!

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 10:09 am

Katie,
I didn’t like grits growing up, but I love them now. I think you would enjoy them if you liked the texture of cream of wheat, and yep, gluten free…although not sure if you need to look for certified gluten free grits to avoid cross contamination.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 1, 2011 at 10:00 am

I saw Black Swan this weekend, which I thought was dark, but good. Natalie Portman was amazing. I have also seen Inception, another weird but good movie. (I think that one is nominated, right??)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 10:10 am

Maryea,
Yep, Inception is nominated, but I haven’t seen it yet. Next on my list is Black Swan. I love Natalie Portman!

Lauren February 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I have seen The Social Network, Black Swan and Winter’s Bone. The Social Network is by far my favorite. I want to see True Grit, The Fighter and The King’s Speech.

I have not tried butter and jam porridge, but sounds good! I love oatmeal and reading your blog! You’re my favorite blogger.

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Oh my gosh – thanks Lauren. Your comment just made my whole night. :)

I really want to see The Social Network and Black Swan. Hoping to see them both before the Oscars. However, I just don’t think anything could be better than The King’s Speech. I loved that movie so much.

{ 3 trackbacks }