A Day of New Eats

by HEAB on February 1, 2011

I have a goal today – to try a new recipe for every meal. I’ve been eating the same things over and over, and I think my body is ready for something different, staring with breakfast…

Onion chia pan bread with a chopped turkey burger and crumbled goat cheese.

The pan bread, based on this recipe, was really easy. I ground up 2 TBSP of chia seeds and then blended them with 2 TBSP almond flour and 1 1/2 tsp baking powder in my Magic Bullet. I then poured the mixture into a bowl and blended 1 whole egg and 1/2 a chopped small onion in the Bullet. I stirred the egg + onion in with the almond flour and chia seeds. After adding salt, pepper, and a pinch of dried basil, I poured the batter into a greased skillet over medium high heat, flipping after a couple of minutes. I removed the bread from the skillet, sauteed my turkey burger, and threw it on top of the bread with a little cheese. This was delicious and a nice change from my typical bowl of sweet oatmeal. According to the recipe for the bread, you can use any type of flour – you don’t need almond flour. Also, whenever I make a recipe containing eggs, I get asked if any sort of egg substitute is possible. I don’t think it is in this recipe as the “bread” wouldn’t really set without it.

Have you tried anything new for breakfast lately?

Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 1, 2011 at 11:30 am

Turkey burger and goat cheese for breakfast? Sign me up!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 1, 2011 at 11:34 am

I’ve been eating more savory things such as wraps with avocados rather than just oats – both sweet and savory. Its nice to change it up, I definitely get stuck in ruts ! But thats because its so good that I don’t want to change it :) But change is good!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) February 1, 2011 at 11:34 am

Woah. That breakfast looks killer!

Michelle February 1, 2011 at 11:36 am

I’ve been stuck in a breakfast smoothie rut for quite some time, but I absolutely LOVE the idea of a day of new recipes. I have more recipes bookmarked than I care to admit and sometimes feel so overwhelmed to actually try them, so I usually just fall back on an old faithful, like scrambled eggs with veggies for dinner. You’ve inspired me to try something new for dinner tonight!

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Michelle,
I am the same way and decided it was finally time to try some of my bookmarked recipes. There are just too many good ones out there, and the oatmeal can wait. ;)

nadia February 1, 2011 at 11:37 am

yeay!! you made it!! looks amazing w/ turkey… YUM!

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Nadia,
It was amazing. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 1, 2011 at 11:39 am

That is such a fun way to use chia seeds!! I just got a GIANT bag, and I’m looking for ways to play with them besides just in Cookie Dough Bowls:) Great idea Heather!

Patty from Australia June 4, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Katelyn here is a link to a great site for Chia seed addicts, you won’t be disappointed. http://www.chiaseedsrecipes.com. My life and the way I look after my health these days has dramatically changed since discovering these magic seeds, I’m 62yo.
Cheers, Patty

HEAB June 5, 2013 at 7:15 am

Awesome – thanks for link to the site Patty and happy to hear you’re feeling great these days! :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods February 1, 2011 at 11:42 am

Glad to see you’re mixing it up. Thought I was gonna have to send you another intervention email, like the one I sent awhile back regarding your oatmeal addiction. haha! Just go with how you feel and you’ll get it right- you always do!

glidingcalm February 1, 2011 at 11:42 am

MMM that sounds delish! and protein packed!! just my style!! :D

VeggieGirl February 1, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I concur :D

polly February 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I concur like Veggie Girl does. :D XO

I also need to get off my pineapple kick for breakfast and get back to eggs and protein to start out, huh? Lurve ya! We are snowy here, no school today for Abbers! :P

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Polly,
I still need to try your egg tacos! Stay warm. Hugs to you and Abbers. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog February 1, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I want to concur with the concurers up there. ;)

Katie @ peacebeme February 1, 2011 at 11:43 am

I don’t usually eat breakfast I must admit, but I have been eating a lot more eggs lately – often in omelettes or in a scramble as part of dinner. I didn’t use to like eggs but my tastes have changed lately and it has been good. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 1, 2011 at 11:46 am

The bread looks so good! I am craving savory right now. I was looking through some of my old stuff last night and I want pupusas again. I think they would be so good with a soft fried egg on top. I also had to make coconut cream yesterday for a snack with apples and hemp seeds since you kept sending me mental messages to make it. I will definitely try this bread out soon!

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Sarena,
Yes, papusas. Was just thinking about them the other day. Love those things. :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats February 1, 2011 at 11:51 am

Pan bread? Yum! I bet this would be good with a curry on top too!

My breakfast staples are green smoothies, pumpkin smoothies, overnight oats, occasionally oatmeal, or savory leftovers. I am getting bored with this rotation so i may go back to one of my favorites: avocado and hot sauce on top of some sort of raw bread, but i could use this pan bread too.

I totally do goals like that to try to mix up my routine meals :) Can’t wait to see what replaces the stir fry at dinner :)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Val,
Hehe – you know me too well. No stir-fry for dinner? Not sure if I can handle that. Although, I think some raw bread with avocado and hot sauce would make me very happy. :)

Marina February 1, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I’ve discovered how avocado goes great on a yummy bread with some cream cheese and pepper! It’s so awesome for breakfast, or any meal for that matter :)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Marina,
I agree – that does sound like a great combo. I love avocados so much!

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) February 1, 2011 at 12:07 pm

My new breakfast was my banana scramlette! Other than that, I pretty much eat oatmeal and nut butter (along with chocolate or carob chips) for breakfast every morning – but it doesn’t get old (I mean how can oatmeal and nut butter get old? ;) ). Your breakfast looks delicious! I need to stalk up on some more goat cheese! :)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Alexandra,
It can’t. Oatmeal and nut butter will never get old in my opinion. :)

Eliz@The Sweet Life February 1, 2011 at 12:12 pm

what a neat recipe! thanks for sharing. how about some more pics of your little one? :-)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Eliz,
OK, I’ll see what I can do. :)

Dorry February 1, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I was eating a big bowl of oats every single day and as much as I love it, one day I just had had enough! I’ve been eating more savory things for breakfast, even including leftovers from the night before and it’s been a good change. I think once it warms up, I’ll have protein smoothies in the morning (I’m training for a half marathon).

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Dorry,
Good luck with your half! As much as I love my oats, I do notice that when I start out with something more savory, I crave sweets less throughout the day…which is a very good thing for me.

Bridget February 1, 2011 at 12:13 pm

What a killer combo! I love mixing proteins with a little bit of carbs at breakfast. Keeps me fueled and full :)

Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! February 1, 2011 at 12:13 pm

My breakfasts tend to be pretty standard (0% Fage + frozen berries + gluten-free cereal). If you like savory in the morning, though, you could try Emily’s vegetable masala burgers: http://www.dailygarnish.com/2011/01/homemade-vegetable-masala-burgers.html. I made them the other day, and they were FABULOUS! I’ve been pairing mine with some avocado and a sweet potato, and that makes the perfect meal. It could be a new breakfast! :)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Gavi,
Yes, it could. Off to check out the recipe. Thanks so much! :)

Heather February 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Lately I’ve been enjoying my morning eggs (2 whole eggs & 1/4 c egg whites cooked via your flourless crepe method, minus the baking powder) topped with raspberries & CHOCOLATE HUMMUS! My adapted recipe here but I’ve also made it with almond butter & coffee flavouring :) (http://caloriecount.about.com/users/cellophane_star/488740.html)

Sometimes I add some arugula with the eggs too, for some extra green goodness. The combo off eggs, arugula & chocolate might not appeal to everyone!

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Heather,
It appeals to me. ;) Just checked out the hummus recipe – sounds delicious, but then again, anything with chocolate and peanut butter is a winner in my book!

Lauren @ WWoB February 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Heather I feel the exact same way! I finally broke out of my breakfast rut (aka crumbled homemade muffin into greek yogurt with nut butter) yesterday. I made a goat cheese quiche that rocked my pants off. And it kept me full for much longer because of the protein and fat content :) But I guess I am in a new rut because I ate it again for lunch and now again for breakfast….. Cooking for 1 can be hard!

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Lauren,
Haha – I do the same thing. I’ll get so excited about a new dish and then eat it 5 days in a row.

Kara February 1, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Does eating cold leftover pasta for breakfast count as trying something new? :) I wish I had your inspiration for putting meals together!

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Kara,
Yeah, that counts. :)

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews February 1, 2011 at 12:21 pm

That looks great! Can’t wait to see what else you try.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 1, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I can’t imagine eating that for breakfast-but it looks delicious!!!

Katie February 1, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I made a pact with myself yesterday to make something new for dinner every night this week! Started with a great turkey taco salad….not exactly “new” but not the norm either. I made Ethiopian Hummus today!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 1, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I need to get more experimental with my eats too– I eat the same things, day in and day out, especially when it comes to lunch and breakfast!!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 1, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I love the idea of dedicating a whole day to new recipes–how fun! I haven’t switched up my breakfast in a while. I need to .

Heather February 1, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I love the combo!

Lately, I have experimented with making my own granola..and pancakes (with different flours)…even on weekdays!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 1, 2011 at 12:33 pm

That looks good! I tend to get in the same rut of eating most days, but I like it! :)

lindsay February 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm

looks wonderful, as always. I’ve try PB flour mixed in brown rice with dates. Pretty tasty.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 1, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I could definitely get behind something that involves goat cheese for breakfast :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood February 1, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Unfortunately, I haven’t tried any new eats recently but I see a lot of great ideas that I might wanna try and make. Thanks for the recipe :) And I’m thinking I should probably invest in a Magic Bullet once again since my brother hijacked my Vita-mix for his business -___-;; But hopefully when he’s rich and famous, I get a new one ;)

Here’s hoping :-D Have a wonderful Tuesday<3

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Sylvia,
No!!! The Vita-Mix is in Amherst?!? That is so wrong. :(

Heather February 1, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I love trying out new recipes! Good for you for dedicating the whole day to new eats! I will definitely be trying that onion bread soon! Looks delicious! I switch things up with my breakfast fairly often. Although I have been on a bit of an oatmeal kick the last week or so, I’ve been keeping it interesting my mixing in a green monster shake one day and then this morning I made a “grilled” banana bread version! It was amazing!

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Heather,
Yep, anything involving grilled bananas would probably turn out amazing. :)

Sarah R February 1, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Ugh. I really need to break out of my oats routine–but it’s just so reliable! We did try out Caitlin’s grilled banana sandwiches this weekend and they were pretty good!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 1, 2011 at 1:51 pm

My goal this week is to switch up my lunches! I am in such an egg rut!

Christine (The Raw Project) February 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm

The chia bread sounds wonderful, a lot like socca – yum! I tried a new take on oatmeal last weekend. Other than that, my breakfasts have been smoothies this week. :-P

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Christine,
I’ve been wanting to make socca for forever but keep forgetting to buy chickpea flour. :(

Kaleigh February 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm

What a fun creation! It looks sooo savory and delicious :)

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos February 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm

i love the chia pan bread! i want to try veganizing it and see if it is possible….?? hehe i’ll let you know if it is a success…

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Junia,
Yes, please let me know if it works. Good luck! :)

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I’m boring when it comes to breakfast. I always have yogurt with oats and some sort of fruit. But it works for me and until my body says “NO MORE!!!!!” I’m going to keep giving it what it wants. ;)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Katie,
Good for you. No need to fix it if it’s not broken. :)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Now that’s a unique breakfast! Sounds so tasty though. I’ll have to give that bread cake a try.

Recent new recipe? Buckwheat pancakes!

Heather @ Wellness From Within February 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I’m a sucker for avacado sandwiches for breakfast! Udi’s gluten free bread topped with homemade mayo or hummus, sliced avacado, goat cheddar, sprouts and a tomato…….

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Heather,
That definitely sounds like my kind of sandwich! :)

Eimear Rose February 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I have ditched porridge or muesli in favour of eggs, veggies, fish, vegetarian ‘meat’, i.e. more protein to keep me full and in general less simple sugar. It’s good to vary it up a bit, isn’t it?

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Eimear,
Yes, variety is a good thing, and I notice when I start my day out with something savory, I’m much less likely to crave sweets throughout the rest of the day.

Eimear Rose February 1, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I find that too, that’s why I’ve started eating more savoury in the morning. Your blog has given me some good ideas:)

Ana February 1, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I really like the idea of that chia bread, I will try it sometime this week!
My breakfast usually are smoothies, but I vary the fruits/veggies and type of protein (yogurt, protein powder, amazing meal) frequently so it is never boring or same thing over and over. Although sometimes I do find a combo I love and have it more than once in a week. I love smoothies so much and they are a convenient way to get protein + fruits + veggies + healthy fats all in one big mug/cup!

ashley@QuasiChick February 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I too get in the breakfast rut, but I like how Averie called it the breakfast groove..lol
I am so busy in the mornings that its hard to be adventurous! But dinner is a different story :)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Ashley,
Yes, I love how Averie refers to it as a food groove. That is great. :)

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy February 1, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I always eat the same breakfast every day – whole wheat toast with nut butter and a glass of almond milk. I need to break out of my rut (even if it IS a delicious rut!)

Monica February 1, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I am always looking for Primal bread recipes and this is perfect and so simple. I had been using a spinach and coconut recipe, but this recipe doesn’t require the food processor and allows me to celebrate my love for the Magic Bullet, haha. Love it, thanks for posting!

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Monica,
Yeah, the recipe is great. Often I crave toast in the morning, but we rarely have bread in the house, and so this is perfect. I can’t wait to try a sweet version with carrots and cinnamon!

Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) February 1, 2011 at 2:57 pm

The pan bread sounds so good, I have been thinking I should stray from my regular sweet breakfasts and have somethings savory once in a while!!

Gina February 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I recently tried brown rice for breakfast, since I was waiting for my GF oats to be shipped to me. I dolled up it up with some yummy things but nothing compares to good ol’ oats :)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Gina,
Have you ever tried blending your cooked brown rice with a little nut milk? It makes it more creamy like oatmeal. Really good with coconut milk!

Gina February 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I haven’t, but that’s such a wonderful idea! Thanks for the tip :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 1, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I totally admit that I am a “food groove” (not a food rut!) kind of girl. I just don’t branch out that frequently once I find something I love….I will eat it for like a year. But then, once I am sick of it…it’s done. I may not go back to it for year(s)…however, coffee…that’s always a breakfast staple :)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Averie,
Yes, I remember you blogging about your food grooves – love that. :)

Maya February 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Oh breakfast, how we love thee.

I’m trying to back away from eggs a little bit right now, and I don’t eat grains (read: no oatmeal ;( ) so my breakfast is usually pudding! One avocado, one super-ripe banana, and 1/2 cup applesauce or pearsauce, all thrown in my mini cuisinart (or a magic bullet). Yum Yum!!

When I’m feeling lazy i’ll just eat the ripe banana with raw almond butter, and the avocado with a dash of salt and some almond butter, too. It’s an interesting combination and the best pairing to bring out the yumminess of each of them, but it gives me the energy to make it to lunch.

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Maya,
No oatmeal?!? That would be really hard for me, but I think avocado pudding would make just as happy. :)

Karen February 1, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I know you like grits. I never could do grits with sweet condiments. I was raised with them savory – with cheese, with butter, with hot sauce, with sauteed shrimp on top or even veggies… They can even be made into grit-cakes and fried. You can treat them like Polenta.

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Karen,
You sound like a true southerner. Fried grit-cakes? Those sound lovely. :)

Baking 'n' Books February 1, 2011 at 4:05 pm

That looks really good.

I really tried a twist on Cornbread – made Coconut Cornbread Muffins (!). Savory and a bit of sweet – and healthy! It’s here if your interested.

Although I’m sure you don’t need anymore ideas by the sounds of it…;)

carolinebee February 1, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I’m almost embarrassed to say i JUST tried pumpkin oats….haha iii knowwwww :D Amazing though!!
I was just thinking the other day- how weird it is that we are conditioned to eat *certain* things for b-fast, lunch or dinner…..like eating steamed broccoli or pasta for b-fast would get you some weird looks at starbucks ;D B-fast for dinner is more normal, but ya know what i mean?? I love the idea of mixing it up, and you are basically the poster mama for that idea…I swear i’ve told u before to open your own cafe- i’ll be first in line!! xoxoo :D

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Caroinebee,
You’ll be the first to know if there should ever be a HEAB cafe where broccoli for breakfast will never be frowned upon. ;)

Gill (snaxandthecity) February 1, 2011 at 4:27 pm

ooh yum. goat’s cheese is constantly amazing.

recently I tried Caitlin (HTP)’s grilled banana sandwich – it was amazing!

Gill (snaxandthecity) February 1, 2011 at 4:27 pm

ooh yum. goat’s cheese is constantly amazing.

recently I tried Caitlin (HTP)’s grilled banana sandwich – it was SO good!

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Gill,
You’re the 2nd or 3rd person to mention Caitlin’s grilled banana sandwich. I need to check out the recipe!

gill (snaxandthecity) February 2, 2011 at 4:11 am

do, it’s really good. i think the caramelizing of the banana is what does it! I had mine with home-made Nutella (hazelnut butter and carob would work though!) and didn’t use any extra sugar. it was blissful!

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 1, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Your brave for trying a new recipe for each meal! I always plan on trying a new recipe for dinner but always revert back to my old recipes for the easy factor!

Amy February 1, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Ahhh I need to try some new foods too. I swear when my body gets sick of the same things over and over again, it begins to seek out something new…and I usually end up snacking more to feel satisfied. Perhaps my palette gets bored? My “usual” meals start to feel less filling…but it’s so tough, because they are sort of “safe” to me!

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Amy,
I really do think new flavors fill me up more than the same old same old. Whenever I try something new, I seem to eat less throughout the day.

Emily February 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm

This looks good to me! I really need to get back into savory breakfasts to kill my morning sugar craving. Once I go down the oats road its a sweet craving for sure!

Alyssa February 1, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I had an awesome Mediterranea Omelet today! 3 egg whites, 1/4 cup chopped cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1 oz feta cheese :-) That with a piece of GF bread and half a grape fruit! I thought I would be stuffed after, but they are all really light meals that hold you for a while…so yummy!

alli February 1, 2011 at 4:41 pm

just made the ‘bread’ and am eating it right now for lunch! sure is tasty!! i topped mine with a quinoa & black bean mixture. topped with goat cheese as well :)
this will be a good recipe to play around with. im thinking of subbing the onion for a banana and topping with agave for a “french toast” type breakfast.

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Alli,
So glad you tried the bread! I want to swap carrots for the onion and add raisins and cinnamon for a sweet version. Your “French toast” version sounds delicious!

alli February 2, 2011 at 9:30 pm

heather,
i just made it tonight for dinner! i replaced the onion with banana. also added in pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. i decided to put it in my waffle maker and it was perfect! i topped it with a blob of almond butter :)

Leah Anderson February 1, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Your creations are always so amazing & look delicious! I wish I was more adventurous with my cooking. I made a Mexican chicken dish I found online, I made it in the crock pot last night & after one bite, no one would eat it :-( I hate wasting food! I visit your blog daily for inspiration & hoping that I can get over my fear of new recipes! Thanks :-)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Leah,
So sorry the chicken dish didn’t work out – I’ve had few crock pot disasters myself. Dried herbs do not need to sit in a crock pot all day cooking – it concentrates their flavors. Trust me, I learned the hard way. ;)

Thanks so much for always reading and for your kind comments.

Jill February 1, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I’m in a major, major breakfast rut. Actually, an oatmeal rut. I think I could seriously eat oatmeal and/or nut butter for at least 2 meals of the day.

I did make a new soup recipe recently that had kale, white beans, and rutabaga in it (among other things) that was pretty good. Weirdly enough, I really like rutabaga. Who knew?

But I think I’m totally content to stay in the oatmeal rut for a while. Trader Joe’s sunflower seed butter + the simply fruit apricot jam from Smucker’s is amazing on oatmeal, btw :-)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Jill,
Nothing wrong with an oatmeal rut, and I often end up eating oatmeal + nut butter twice a day. No shame!
P.S. I love both rutabagas and TJ’s sunbutter. Hmmm, I bet I’d like the sunbutter on a rutabaga. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 1, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I always eat the same things all the time too, what a good way to mix it up!

Runeatrepeat February 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Is pan bread like a pan cake, just savory?

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Runeatrepeats,
It’s like a flimsy flat bread – best way I can think to describe it. The egg and chia seeds made if kind of spongy – so yeah, I guess it is cake-like. :)

Sara (Miles and Manhattan) February 1, 2011 at 6:00 pm

That looks great!! I need to also go through my bookmarked recipes and start COOKING them (saw your reply above :) )
xoxo
s

Julia February 1, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Looks deeeeelicious. I might have to give that recipe a try :)
The last new thing I tried for breakfast was this:
..and it was scrumptious!

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Julia,
All of Ashley’s recipes look scrumptious. I want to make her oatmeal bake she posted yesterday. Love that girl!

Natalia - a side of simple February 1, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Oh no. Now I’m going to HAVE to branch out! I pretty much eat the same foods all the time. It’s not like I’m not getting my nutrients or that it’s unhealthy (I am, it’s not) but I just always go to my stand-bys. I’m such a creature of habit. I need to work on making “food rotations” a habit…

Amelia February 1, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I was getting quite sick of the sweet oat bran/ oatmeal kinds of breakfast and have been enjoying oat bran with a poached egg and butter instead. I would LOVE some sausage or bacon for breakfast, but need to find a reputable source first.

Your breakfast looks amazing and I like the idea of trying to keep new recipes in the rotation!

Annie@stronghealthyfit February 1, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I’ve been eating 2 hard-boiled eggs w/either an apple or a banana and some nut butter for breakfast lately, rather than oats or yogurt, and even that is a nice change! I find that it holds me over for a longer period of time, too.

stories over tea February 1, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Hi Heather,
A huge fan of your blog here. That’s a great breakfast. Lately I’ve been interested in trying out just about anything. Eggs and potatoes with butter are great breakfast too. (I tend to overdo the egg consumption at all hours :) Super yum. I’m big on eggs, turkey, fish, meat…every meal in fact. And cheese goes with everything :)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 11:10 pm

stories over tea,
Thanks so much. :)

I love eggs too – been known to eat them at every meal, and yes, they go great with potatoes and butter. That’s one of CD’s favorite combos!

Disturbed February 1, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast every morning: bran cereal with almond milk and a tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder.

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! February 1, 2011 at 9:40 pm

When I wake up I usually crave oatmeal, so that is what I tend to stick with. I am trying to be more creative with lunch and dinner!

clare February 1, 2011 at 9:47 pm

You are going to think my adventure is over the top. Generally, I have my egg whites and then some cereal after that for breakfast. Lately, I’ve been cooking my egg whites and mixing my cereal and almond milk all in one. Cold cereal eggs, WOW! I know, I’m crazy genius inventive like that. What might I think of next…jam on toast? Nut butter on an apple?

;)

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Clare,
You’re so funny. Now, I’ve never tried cereal eggs…but I totally would! :)

Helen February 1, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I love to try new things for meals. I try to do a new breakfast at least once a week. It could beas simple as swaping out a spice or extract, as long as it is different :)

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 1, 2011 at 10:37 pm

The bread kind of looks like a tortilla in a way. Does it have that kind of texture, or does it have a bready texture?

HEAB February 1, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Kathleen,
It’s kind of like flimsy flatbread maybe? The egg and chia seeds made it kind of spongy, and so it’s pretty light – not heavy at all.

Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) February 2, 2011 at 8:34 am

Heab, what is a good time for the dancers pose? During our challenge this week I am trying to get better and hold it longer but am not sure what a good time would be or what your time is right now. Thank you for your help
Lew

HEAB February 2, 2011 at 8:52 am

Hi Lew,
Haven’t done my challenge yet, and it’s been a while since I’ve done Dancer’s Pose. I know in some yoga classes I’ve taken, we would hold it for 5 long deep breaths – so maybe 30 seconds to a minute. I can’t remember. Sometimes it stuck and other times I toppled right over. I’m anxious to see how long I can hold it this week. Good luck!

Cailin @ Stir Crazy February 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I’m loving that lentil and sweet potato dish. I have a little obsession with lentils lately, and I always have an obsession with sweet potatoes… so this sounds perfect :) And nothing finishes off a meal quite like chocolate. Glad to hear you’re able to enjoy it again!

I can’t believe Summer is 3 months old already!! She’s getting cuter by the day :)

holly February 2, 2011 at 3:22 pm

i need this in my life.

like now.

pure geniusness.

i don’t even care if that’s a word or not.

HEAB February 2, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Holly,
Feel free to refer to me or my creations as geniusness anytime. ;)

kathleen February 3, 2011 at 3:21 pm

thanks for the new recipes. i tend to get obsessed with the same things. it’s so hard to break habits!

Donna November 12, 2012 at 9:05 pm

So, I’m not sure I understand this…do you first soak the chia seeds in the cup of water & then make the recipies or not. I thought that the chia seeds always had to be soaked first, but maybe I misunderstood.

HEAB November 13, 2012 at 10:27 am

Donna,
Nope, no need to soak the chia seeds first. You get all the nutritional benefits from the seeds eating them as is. However, if you’re using them as a sub for eggs or a binder in a recipe, then I do recommend soaking them in water first and making chia seed gel: http://www.chiaseedrecipes.com/chia-gel.php

Kristy Swain December 5, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I just tried this and though I did have to double the flour, it turned out great! Thank you! I haven’t found a decent gluten-free bread recipe. I made mine with amaranth and tapioca flour. I also added guar gum to give it stickiness like wheat flour would have. I am now immediately (after eating this whole one) making lots more to freeze. Thank you!! It helps a lot with a limited diet due to food allergies.

HEAB December 5, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Hi Kristy,
I’m so glad the recipe worked for you. It’s been forever since I’ve made this bread. Thanks for reminding me about it! :)

Kristy Swain December 5, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Yummy. I made it twice. It turned out great. The first time with your recipe (plus some extra flour). The sceond time with slightly different portions of ingredients, and I took photos as a tutorial. Thank you for posting. Check out the process and results on my blog! It also talks about my battle with food allergies. http://www.hypheninteriors.com/2012/12/gluten-free-chia-pan-bread-and-my-battle.htmlI actually went back and made it again (this time with slightly different portions of ingredients) and took photos as a tutorial. Check out the process and results on my blog! It also talks about my battle with food allergies. http://www.hypheninteriors.com/2012/12/gluten-free-chia-pan-bread-and-my-battle.html

Kristy Swain December 5, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Yummy. I made it twice. It turned out great. The first time with your recipe (plus some extra flour). The second time with slightly different portions of ingredients, and I took photos as a tutorial. Thank you for posting. Check out the process and results on my blog! It also talks about my battle with food allergies. http://www.hypheninteriors.com/2012/12/gluten-free-chia-pan-bread-and-my-battle.html

{ 2 trackbacks }