Stoking The Fire

by HEAB on February 3, 2011

The heat is on here at HEAB!

First off, I’ve been eating lunnu miriss, or salt-chili. I followed my friend Nadia’s recipe (adding a pinch of stevia), and I’m kind of obsessed with the stuff. It’s funny because I’ve never been a huge fan of heat in my food, but there’s something about this spicy little condiment that is addictive.

Yesterday, I fried a white potato in some butter, and then ate it with canned wild salmon, brewer’s yeast, salt, pepper, and a spoonful of the salt-chili.

This morning, I enjoyed more lunnu miriss in a bowl of quinoa and coconut cream

Nadia, in honor of you – loved this combo!

Do you like cayenne pepper? It has so many great health benefits which you can read about here.

Not only have I been heating things up in the kitchen, I’ve also been tending to the sacred fire within with some yoga. Last night, I attended my first class since Summer was born, a 3-hour workshop with Shiva Rea. Way to ease back into things, huh? ;)

I hate to say this because Shiva Rea is such an amazing teacher, but I just wasn’t feeling it. The workshop was crowded, and my body felt completely awkward. Also, throughout the entire flow, all I could think about was getting home to Summer. It’s the longest I’ve ever been away from her, and I didn’t like it. But, we made up for it today with some mommy & me yoga…

Unlike last night, I loved today’s class! It was so much fun having Summer there with me. We held our babies on our bellies while we did abdominal work and then laid them on our mats while we did squats and Down Dogs. Summer loved every minute of it, and it was such a nice environment to be in as a new mom. Other moms fed their babies if they got hungry, some babies were crawling around, and no one gave you a dirty look if your little one started crying. Of course, Summer never fussed. She’s perfect, you know. :)

IMG_7232.JPG IMG_7235.JPG

IMG_7230.JPG IMG_7234.JPG

Summer before and after class.

Two hours later, and she is still asleep. So, I’m going to try and sneak in a quick nap myself. Bye.

Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) February 3, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Awww, mother and baby yoga, that must have been so fun!

I did my first yoga workout ever today! I did Jillian Michael’s Yoga Meltdown and loved it so much! Yoga is definitely going to become something I do regularly!

HEAB February 3, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Kayla,
So glad you enjoyed your yoga. That makes me happy. :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 3, 2011 at 3:31 pm

what a great idea! i love the photos and that sounds like such a great environment to be in

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Ahhh she is so cute!! When I have a baby, mommy + me yoga classes will be a regular occurrence. Coconut cream + quinoa sounds deliciously decadent, I should put my coconut milk to good use! :)

Gen February 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm

That salt-chili looks good!!!!!
The mother-daughter yoga sounds so cute!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad February 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm

You definitely have to do the yoga that you’re in the mood for. It stinks to get into a class/workshop and not feel the groove! (I guess that’s why I usually just do my own flow.) The baby-mommy yoga sounds awesome though :)

Christin@purplebirdblog February 3, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Awwwwe, mother and baby yoga sounds soooo wonderful!! I had a most lovely practice last night… no one else braved the cold to go, so It was just me and the instructor. I love accidental private lessons! :)

HEAB February 3, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Christin,
That’s happened to me a few times – love those accidental private lessons as well. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 3, 2011 at 3:48 pm

It is so hard for me still being away from my kids during the day and they are almost 10 and 12. You should feel great that you have that feeling! Never lose it.

As far as heat goes with food..I love spicy food with great flavor not things that are so hot they just burn your mouth. Cayenne peppers is definitely my friend!

Have a great nap Heather and enjoy that sweet little girl!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats February 3, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Hi Heather – I love Shiva Rea, but honestly, some of her workshops just get too crowded (I have been to three now – she is in the Washington, DC area fairly regularly). And I can totally understand how it was a long time to be away from your little girl.

Also, go you on 75% new eats :) (saw your post on the rest of the eats after the chia pan bread).

And finally – I had an old favorite for breakfast today – red pepper boats stuffed with avocado and lime juice and hot sauce. That was a go-to breakfast last summer and I was kind of missing it, and talking about raw bread and avocado and hot sauce totally made me crave it, but I was short on time this morning, hence using red peppers as my “bread” :)

HEAB February 3, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Valerie,
Love the red peppers as “bread”. My kind of loaf! :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats February 4, 2011 at 10:49 am

It was an awesome breakfast :)

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun February 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Mommy and Baby yoga sounds awesome! Glad you and Summer had a great time! :-)

By the looks of that last picture, Summer must have had a tough workout! ;-)

HEAB February 3, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Erika,
Summer was wiped out after class and slept for 3 hours. I had to wake her up to eat. I think we should do Mommy & Me yoga more often. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Wow what an experience…a 3 hour Shiva Rea class!!!!!!

And yes, overwhelming much? Being in that type of environment as your first class back. Not exactly a low key affair!

I had (and still sometimes have them but they are much less) experiences like that as a new mom. Overstimulating environments, too loud, too much, too crowded…makes me want to RUN back to the quiet and calm of my house and hug my baby (who turned 4 yesterday!)

Trust me, i know the EXACT feeling you had. It’s very unsettling and makes you stop and ponder how much life has changed when you feel that way.

Glad that the mommy ‘n me yoga was much better :)

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 3, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Heather you are such a good mom! And Summer is such a cutie. I love her full head of hair!

Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses February 3, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Oh…that is such a NEAT idea for a class. I would have been like you during the 3 hour class…antsy to get back to my baby. :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 3, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Aw, sorry the first class was a bust…but I’m glad you got to make up for it with a good Mommy & Me class! Too cute!

VeggieGirl February 3, 2011 at 4:20 pm

You and Summer = beyond precious.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun February 3, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Mommy & Me yoga sounds so cute and a great thing to do together.

Kendel @ Eating Abroad February 3, 2011 at 4:26 pm

It sounds like you were near the right fire after all. I hope when I have kids (someday way down the line,) I’m living in a place where I can take a Mommy & Me yoga class.

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan February 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm

The Mommy & Me Yoga sounded like a nice time. The salt-chili sounds yum! I love a little heat with my food. :-)

Rachael February 3, 2011 at 4:33 pm

The Shiva Rea class must have been amazing – I’m usually not a DVD yoga person, but I make an exception for hers!
Love the mama-baby yoga pics, and also love the idea of salt-chili!

HEAB February 3, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Rachael,
Yes, I loved Shiva Rea’s prenatal yoga DVD. There is just something about her that is so calming.

Dorry February 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I love the idea of baby yoga! And of course Summer was an angel. :)

OK, I mentioned baby yoga to my husband about a month ago and he sent me this link to a “baby yoga” video. (It’s a foreign site of some sort, but NOT spam, promise!) http://video.mail.ru/mail/mimozachina/2688/2690.html

HEAB February 3, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Dorry,
A friend sent me that site – I think the NYT did an article on it. That woman is crazy!

Dorry February 3, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Completely nuts! I was shocked. I’m sure Summer will be thankful you resisted that yoga trend.

Eliz@The Sweet Life February 3, 2011 at 4:40 pm

A little yogi in the making! So cute.

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy February 3, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I don’t have any kids, but I can totally understand how 3 hours would seem WAY too long to be away from your baby! That’s a really long class even without a baby to get back to!

Ashley February 3, 2011 at 4:44 pm

So stinking cute!!! Love the yoga photos. You’re a fabulous mother, Heather!

Amelia February 3, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I LOVE anything spicy especially cayenne pepper and hot sauce! Mmm hot sauce.

All of these pictures of Summer are REALLY giving me baby fever bad. She is so adorable. I need to make it through at least another six months of school first before we even start thinking about it. Plus, living in the same state (and house) as my husband may help. ;)

Sarah R February 3, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Mommy and me yoga?! What a great concept! Sounds like the perfect class for the two of you.

Kimberly February 3, 2011 at 4:50 pm

What a cool yoga class for you and Summer!! Sounds SO sweet ;)

Pure2raw twins February 3, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Love the mother and baby yoga class together, so cute!

Ana February 3, 2011 at 5:07 pm

It is sweet of you to miss Summer during your 3-hour yoga Heather, and I so understand you. I used to take yoga classes at night from 7:30 to 8:30 pm last year on Th, and I always missed my time with Matheus during his bedtime. Sometimes I would go to class but wasn’t able to enjoy because I could not wait to get back home and say goodnight to him (I always hoped I would get home in time to give him a good night kiss before he turned off his light)… and he is now almost 9, so yes, totally understandable to miss your 3-month old!
But as she gets older you will get used to spending more time away from her. Although I have to say, I only learned to be away for longer periods after Matheus entered school.
My yoga classes changed days/time and now I can’t go at night, and I am ok with that, I like bedtime with my son better anyways.
So nice that you get to do mom and baby yoga, that is awesome, and I can see how wonderful that is for both of you!
Hope you got a good nap along with Summer this afternoon!

HEAB February 3, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Ana,
Thankfully, Summer was still awake when I got home. I was starving and had to go the bathroom really but scooped her us soon as I walked in the door and we rocked. I was so happy to get back to her, and yeah, missing the night time routine was really hard. I think I would have enjoyed the workshop much more had it been during the day.

Baking 'n' Books February 3, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Yep, She is perfect!

Shivea Rea? That’s insane. It’s weird how you can “change” from day to day hey? Enjoy it one day and not the next. I just hate doing anything at night period ;)

Do you prefer White potatoes or Sweet?!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 3, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I love the idea of Mommy and Me Yoga. Such a great way to work-out and still spend time with your child!!

Andrea@WellnessNotes February 3, 2011 at 5:20 pm

So glad Summer and you loved the Mommy & Me Yoga class! :) She is sooooo cute!!! And I love the pic of you and Summer! You both are so cute! :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 3, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Awwwe, I’ve heard about doing yoga with babies but have never seen it being done- so cute!

Robin February 3, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Heather, seeing you with Summer makes me SO EXCITED to meet my little girl in March or April. You are positively glowing and you are right…she’s perfect!

HEAB February 3, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Robin,
I’m so excited for you as well. It’s amazing! :)

Little Bookworm February 3, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Cute photos of Summer and the yoga workshop sounds interesting!

BethT February 3, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Isn’t it funny how we don’t like to leave our babies. I’m back at work now and ugh! I’ll have to look for a mommy/baby yoga class here in SF.

Jill February 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Awww Heather-sorry you felt that way during the Shiva Rea workshop. But if it makes you feel any better, I think three hours would have been really long for ANYONE. And Shiva Rea definitely isn’t as cute as Summer :-) I think that yoga is also one of those things that is awesome sometimes and really rough at others. I have days when I’m very in the yoga groove and others when I randomly have no focus or balance whatsoever.

Hopefully you get to do more Mommy and Me yoga with Summer. So cool that you’re already introducing her to one of the best workouts ;-)

Katie February 3, 2011 at 5:45 pm

3 hours is a long time for anyone to try to concentrate, let alone a new mom with an adorable little one waiting at home. Mommy yoga class is such a great idea!

And I love the spice. I’m checking out this recipe asap.

kate@ahealthypassion February 3, 2011 at 5:52 pm

ah I love yoga, I’m about to do some right now :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence February 3, 2011 at 5:58 pm

yoga mommy and me class looks so cute- what a good idea!

Carlee February 3, 2011 at 5:59 pm

That’s so cute you and Summer did yoga together!
I can just tell how your such a good mother!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 3, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I just want to say that I LOVE the way you eat. I think you’re like me and we have a different view of what’s “healthy” then most people, but that means more delicious food for us right?

HEAB February 3, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Matt,
Yeah, I’ve thought the same thing before. Bring on the beef, right? ;)

Caitlin (EatFeats) February 3, 2011 at 6:45 pm

HOLY freaking Goodness! That sounds like the cutest yoga class ever!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 3, 2011 at 6:47 pm

That’s so fun! I would love to do that if I had a kid :)

Sara (Miles and Manhattan) February 3, 2011 at 6:48 pm

SO fun and too adorable!!!!
xoxo
s

Heather February 3, 2011 at 6:54 pm

She IS perfect! I couldn’t believe how quiet and happy she was when we met for lunch! Mommy & Me yoga sounds great! Yoga SHOULD be relaxing and in a comfortable atmosphere. I hate crowded studios!

That potato/salmon bowl looks fab! How spicy is spicy though…I tend to be a bit of a whimp! :(

HEAB February 3, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Heather,
It’s pretty spicy – the recipe calls for 1 TBSP of cayenne, and I never use more than 1/4 a tsp at a time. I can’t believe I even like it as I’m not usually a fan of heat, but I love kick it’s been giving to my meals.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 3, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I do like cayenne pepper! Frank’s Red Hot is awesome, wish it wasn’t so salty! I grew some cayenne peppers this summer, but never did anything with them. :lol: I think I was intimidated. :)

Awww, mommy and baby yoga is adorable! Summer is so lucky to experience all of these things. Nothing like that was ever on my parents’ radar! LOL

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama February 3, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I love the idea of mommy/baby yoga! How fun. I love cayenne pepper too. A lot of dishes taste better with a little heat.

Kayla @ An Honest Girl's Guide to Life February 3, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Heather, I completely know what you mean about the whole claustrophobic yoga feeling! Occasionally we’ll have a super packed out yoga class at my studio, and it’s so hard to focus! On the other hand, that mommy and baby yoga class sounds incredible. When I have babies of my own, I’d love to do something like that!

PS, the last photo of her snuggling with her stuffed animal makes me melt!!

HEAB February 3, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Kayla,
I know – I love that photo. :)

lindsay February 3, 2011 at 7:42 pm

oh how precious. Summer is going to be a yoga guru by the age of 3! Love it!
LC
p.s.
Spice is nice, and it keeps us warm. I’ve been upping my intake of paprika and cayenne lately. whoa sinuses!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood February 3, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Aww, you’re such a wonderful mommy, always thinking of your child :) That mommy&me yoga class looks very fun!

lauren @ spiced plate February 3, 2011 at 8:09 pm

SInce my blog is called the spice plate, you can guess that I LOVE spiciness! Cayenne is a bit tricky for me — I love its sister spice paprika, but if a dish has just a smidge too much cayenne, it’s unbearable for me. Nadia’s recipe sounds fantastic — this summer I made kim-chee like there was no tomorrow, but haven’t made it since…this looks like a nice replacement for heat!
I’m jealous of your shiva rea workshop — she’s one of my favorites, but i’ve never met her. I understand about “not feeling it” though — and enjoyed your mommy and me yoga photos! I teach a mommy and me yoga class on saturdays — it’s SO fun!

HEAB February 3, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Lauren,
Mmm, I love kim-chee, but I’ve never made it myself. I think you will love Nadia’s recipe if you’re a spice girl. :)

So cool you teach mommy & me yoga. Definitely a much needed class for new mamas!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog February 3, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Yoga when it goes well is divine—and when it’s not right, it’s the worst! I can’t imagine doing 3 hours when I wasn’t feeling it, so you’re a trooper for sticking with it the whole time. And 3 hours apart… good start! :)

Hannah February 3, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I’m obsessed with spice in my foods – in fact, I’ve even added tabasco to peanut butter cookies before (they were fabulous :P ) Actually, this morning I made a coconut milk quinoa porridge with cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla, and cayenne! I must’ve been channelling you ;)

HEAB February 3, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Hannah, great minds think alike, no? :)

CH February 3, 2011 at 8:35 pm

My body often feels awkward when I come back to yoga (or another workout) after a break, even if it’s only a small amount of time. Don’t fret! Just keep trying, even if it’s only at home while Summer takes a nap, and you’ll feel ready for yoga before you know it. Or, if you don’t want to do it, that’s okay too. Yoga is all about listening to what your body has to say, as you well know. :)

Helen February 3, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Mommy and me yoga! That is so neat. She is such a precious baby, love her hair :)

I like some spice in my food, of course I do live in cajun country so I grew up with spicy eats.

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 3, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Mommy and baby yoga! That is so cool!!! :) I want to do that when I become a mommy. :)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) February 3, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Awwww! That looks like so much fun to take Summer to yoga! I’m sure she enjoyed it :)
I like cayenne pepper as long as there’s not too much. It looks perfect with the coconut cream and quinoa!
And thanks SO much for checking my comments! Your so sweet :)

nadia February 3, 2011 at 9:04 pm

*thrilled* to be mentioned on your blog ;)
xxo

Nicole @ Of Cookies & Carrots February 3, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Um, mommy & me yoga sounds like about the cutest thing ever!!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 3, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Mommy and me yoga class looks so much fun!

Ann Claire February 3, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Mmm that salt chili sounds good. I usually like things a little spicy.
My goodness, Summer is so darn cute!!

Alisa Fleming February 3, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Aw, I think I’d rather go to the mommy and me yoga too. Maybe I can borrow a little one :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit February 3, 2011 at 9:52 pm

You look so happy holding Summer :-) That mom and baby class sounds so great! Happy for you that you’re getting back to yoga so soon.

Corey @ the runner's cookie February 3, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Ah, you and Summer are both so beautiful! I bet doing yoga with her was really fun. I can’t imagine being away from yoga for a while and then doing a 3 hour workshop – I would be so exhausted! Seems like you are doing a great job balancing being a mom and taking care of yourself :)

Charlotte February 3, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Love the mommy-baby yoga classes! You and Summer look so happy together:) I can totally understand why the Shiva Rhea workshop didn’t work out so well. It’s so hard to leave the little ones, isn’t it?

HEAB February 3, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Charlotte,
Yes, I can’t stand it. I want to be around Summer all the time – so grateful I can stay at home with her!

Kiran February 3, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Nothing can be more perfect than spending yoga time with Summer :)

Kara February 4, 2011 at 6:33 am

Wow, I have Shiva Rea’s DVDs, that would be so cool to take her class! I know what you mean about wanting to get home, I have that same problem on long runs.

I wish I had mommy and me yoga options around here, that looks fun!

Natalie February 4, 2011 at 7:41 am

3 hrs is kind of long – ease into the time away! it is good for both of you :)

rachael February 4, 2011 at 7:56 am

3 hrs is a long time for a first real stint away. I love mommy and me yoga too! You and Summer are both adorable. :)

Hanna M. February 4, 2011 at 8:35 am

Off to buy red onion and lemon! :D

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 4, 2011 at 8:43 am

Thank you so much for that chili recipe.. I am soo making that. I love love love hot sauces!

Mommmy and me yoga is awesome

Kari February 4, 2011 at 9:09 am

I’ve been loving on sauteed onions and brussel sprouts lately. Last night, I made an impromptu Mongolian sauce (soy sauce, water, brown sugar, ginger) with the onions and put it all on some leftover oven baked chicken (with skin) and garlic brussel sprouts. So yummy!

I’ll have to check and see if rural NW Ohio has someplace that offers a mom/baby class. Wren turns 1 in a couple of weeks, and she likes to play on my yoga mats (I get out one for her and one for me) when I do yoga at home. I’m excited for a little workout buddy.

Heather, I’m glad to hear that Summer’s system is maturing enough that you can start adding things back to your diet. I missed chocolate for 8.5 months. It was rough, but it makes me more grateful now when I do have it. Just wait until she starts eating WITH you. I just made homemade granola over the weekend and Wren LOVES it!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 10:32 am

Kari,
I’m so glad the chocolate is back in my life as well. I’m still a little nervous to try the cruciferous veggies, and so I’m holding off on those a bit. Onions seem to be okay now as well.

I love that Wren does yoga next to you, and I hope you’re able to find a Mommy & Me yoga class in your area. We had so much fun yesterday, and Summer was worn out. She slept for 3 hours, and I finally had to wake her up to eat. :)

Melissa B. February 4, 2011 at 9:35 am

Shiva Rea??? Gah- I am so jealous- I love her! Mommy and me yoga is something I definitley look forward to doing someday when I have my own little one :)

skinnyrunner February 4, 2011 at 10:28 am

love the baby pics and i think mommy and me classes are such a great idea for new moms! i would definitely want to do classes like that… if i had a kid.

christie February 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Summer is so adorable!! She looks SO MUCH like you already- so cute!

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 4, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I’m sure you get this a lot but your daughter is gorgeous :)

ashley@quasichick February 4, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I am a newby to yoga, but love it so far!