A Bowl Full of Goodness

by HEAB on February 4, 2011

This morning’s breakfast was very special…

Why is this bowl of oat bran so special you ask? Well, let me me tell you…

1) It was inspired by Lauren. Lauren and I are kindred spirits in that we both like to do weird things with our food. :)

2) My grain of choice this morning was oat bran, my favorite. I love the texture of oat bran and find it so filling. You can read about the differences between rolled oats and oat bran here. Perhaps it will inspire you to try it. My favorite brands are Quaker Oats and Trader Joe’s.

3) I soaked my oat bran (1/2 cup oat bran with 2 cups water) overnight on the countertop. I don’t always remember to soak my grains before preparing them, but I do believe it is a good thing to do. According the Weston A. Price Foundation,

antinutrients in whole grains include enzyme inhibitors which can inhibit digestion and put stress on the pancreas; irritating tannins; complex sugars which the body cannot break down; and gluten and related hard-to-digest proteins which may cause allergies, digestive disorders and even mental illness.

Most of these antinutrients are part of the seed’s system of preservation—they prevent sprouting until the conditions are right. Plants need moisture, warmth, time and slight acidity in order to sprout. Proper preparation of grains is a kind and gentle process that imitates the process that occurs in nature. It involves soaking for a period in warm, acidulated water in the preparation of porridge, or long, slow sour dough fermentation in the making of bread. Such processes neutralize phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors. Vitamin content increases, particularly B vitamins. Tannins, complex sugars, gluten and other difficult-to-digest substances are partially broken down into simpler components that are more readily available for absorption.

Animals that nourish themselves primarily on grain and other plant matter have as many as four stomachs. Their intestines are longer, as is the entire digestion transit time. Man, on the other hand, has but one stomach and a much shorter intestine compared to herbivorous animals. These features of his anatomy allow him to pass animal products before they putrefy in the gut but make him less well adapted to a diet high in grains—unless, of course, he prepares them properly. When grains are properly prepared through soaking, sprouting or sour leavening, the friendly bacteria of the microscopic world do some of our digesting for us in a container, just as these same lactobacilli do their work in the first and second stomachs of the herbivores.

4) I added both turmeric and cinnamon. Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and is thought to help prevent cancer. Cinnamon, besides being my favorite spice, helps control blood sugar levels.

5) See the cooked carrot? Carrots provide antioxidant compounds, and are the richest vegetable source of the pro-vitamin A carotenes, which are thought to prevent heart disease. Carrots are also thought to help increase milk production in breastfeeding women, and unfortunately, I’m still dealing with a low milk supply.

6) For a little sweet love, I added a chopped green apple. I don’t normally eat a lot of fruit, but I do love a good warm apple cinnamon combo, especially for breakfast.

7) Last but not least, I stirred in a TBSP of butter. I know all of you (or most of you anyway) love adding nut butter to your oatmeal, but have you tried real butter yet? It’s really amazing and adds so much flavor. Are you scared of butter? Why? Did someone tell you it was bad? Now who would say a silly thing like that? Did you know our bodies need saturated fat, and that the fat-soluble vitamins found in butter and other animal fats will help your body to better absorb the calcium, phosphorus, iron, B vitamins, and the other nutrients that grains provide? Personally, I think I’ll stick with Nina Planck’s advice when it comes to eating my fat:

Aren’t some fats unhealthy? Yes. It’s easy to remember the bad ones: they are the industrial fats recently added to our diet. The unhealthy fats are refined vegetable oils, including corn, safflower, sunflower, and soybean oil, and synthetic trans fats. Industrial vegetable oils are unhealthy because they are too rich in omega-6 fats and because they are typically refined with heat, which makes them rancid and carcinogenic…the moral of the story is simple. If you’re trying to remember which fats are healthy, follow this rule: eat the foods we’ve eaten for thousands of years in their natural form.

Was your breakfast special today?

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 4, 2011 at 10:42 am

Great info Heab! I’ll definitely be soaking my oats more often. I love when you post info about how we need saturated fat and how basically our minds have just been twisted to think in such a different way.. which is why our country is the way it is. I love using Kerry Gold pure Irish! You know its real butter when its a golden yellow (er..not white or a spray) and that the cows ate grass (uhm..nott processed grain or corn). Your bowl looks delicious! You were the one who got me hooked on oat bran :)

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Felicia,
Kerry Gold is my favorite butter. Do you belong to Costco? If so, they sell Kerry Gold every year around St. Patrick’s Day. I can’t wait for March! Otherwise, we buy it at TJ’s. :)

Marguerite February 4, 2011 at 9:33 pm

This sounds amazing! Anything in a bowl is amazing in my opinion. Today I mixed together 1/2 cup of oatmeal, an egg, and chocolate protein powder. Bowls help you create all sorts of tasty meals.

Kelly February 4, 2011 at 10:43 am

No..I am scared of magarine. After reading Michael Pollan’s books I am pretty much scared of anything processed. Besides it only solidifies my opinion that fat doesn’t make you fat…processed carbs and sugar do. Bring on the buttah!!!

Kat February 4, 2011 at 10:45 am

my breakfast was pretty standard – green post-workout smoothie – but I threw in half a cuke too – so tasty and refreshing :)
your oat bran looks yummy – i love carrots and cinnamon together. makes me think of carrot cake :)

Little Bookworm February 4, 2011 at 10:47 am

My breakfast was special today as I tried a new overnight oat recipe. :D

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats February 4, 2011 at 10:48 am

Mine was special insofar I ran out of time to make a smoothie, decided against oatmeal, so just grabbed green quinoa that was leftover in the fridge – green quinoa is quinoa cooked in the rice cooker, to which I add spinach, parsley and pesto, all pureed in the food processor, and some herbamare. It is very satisfying :)

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Valerie,
Your green quinoa sounds delicious. I love anything with pesto!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 4, 2011 at 10:50 am

I ate my regular oatmeal today. Kind of boring compared to your breakfast!! I eat butter, but never considered putting it in my oatmeal. Sounds delicious!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 4, 2011 at 11:05 am

I LOVE oat bran! I have it every single morning in my cookie dough bowls:) Thank you for sharing the info, I loved learning more about my favorite cereal!

Eliz@The Sweet Life February 4, 2011 at 11:06 am

Oh my goodness–what an interesting meal!

Ashley February 4, 2011 at 11:12 am

Butter in oats or any hot breakfast cereal is amazing. You are RIGHT!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos February 4, 2011 at 11:14 am

yes, it was special because i had HOT oatbran with almond butter, chia, cinnamon, and banana this morning and i thought about you! hehehe. i usually have overnight rolled oats, but i forgot to make it last night! i love oatbran…!! i’m going to try soaking them now!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Junia,
I’m honored oat bran makes you think of me. :)

Abigail @ Good to Think and Eat February 4, 2011 at 11:15 am

Like you, I prefer cooked carrots to raw ones. Thank goodness their nutrients aren’t destroyed in the cooking process – in fact, according to WHFoods.com, the heat breaks down fiber making beta carotene more accessible!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Abigail,
Yes, thank goodness. Love my cooked carrots!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy February 4, 2011 at 11:19 am

Every time I see your oat bran it reminds me of eating Chocolate Cream of Wheat when I was a kid. I don’t even think they make it any more, but maybe I should try to recreate it!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Stacie,
They do still make it, Co-co wheat or something. I’ve seen it in the grocery store. However, I think chocolate oat bran would be much better. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 4, 2011 at 11:19 am

I have had a stomach bug for 5 days now, so I had banana oats. Bananas for the potassium…ugh, I discovered this morning that I am not a fan of bananas in oats. On top is fine, but not in. I also had a cup of hot chamomile tea with an acidophilus pill. I am hoping for a better day. Love the info on digesting grains. I will be soaking mine for tomorrow!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Sarena,
Ugh, I’m so sorry. Hope the belly is feeling better today!

Mal February 4, 2011 at 11:21 am

What acid did you use to soak your oat bran? I have been wanting to soak my oats but I’ve heard that lemon juice and vinegar make them taste bad so I’m scared…

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Mal,
I didn’t add any acid, but I want to try apple cider vinegar. I’ve read you can also use whey, buttermilk, yogurt, or kefir, and if you rinse the grains well, the acid should not affect the taste.

Tawnee Prazak February 4, 2011 at 11:22 am

Yum! I’ll have to try oat bran! I’m a oatmeal fiend like you :) Twice this week I tried a new breakfast — oatmeal smoothie made in the Vitamix. Check it out on my blog, http://www.tritawn.blogspot.com, and let me know that you think! (I have the recipe and pictures in my last two posts).

Also, interesting info about soaking grains, and kids of scary too! Should we be doing that for rolled oats, whether cooked or raw? Does the amount of grain you consume overall in your diet make a difference? (I don’t eat tons of grains and do mostly gluten-free, but I do eat more oatmeal, quinoa, etc, when I’m training because I need the substance! lol)

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Tawnee,
Yes, you can soak your rolled oats overnight, but you should try to rinse them as best you can the following morning and use fresh water for cooking. I eat a good bit of grains buy try to avoid gluten if possible. My body seems to do okay with them, and I love my oats!

Marina February 4, 2011 at 11:23 am

I was scared of fat, but not anymore. I love adding butter, but I’m just not brave enough yet to add it to oats.
My breakfast today was a bowl of banana oats with peanut butter. Not special, but delicious :)

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Marina,
I think your breakfast sounds special. :)

Ann Claire February 4, 2011 at 11:27 am

I really need to try some oat bran! Butter in oatmeal? I knew I loved you. I Must try that ASAP. My breakfast this morning was pretty special! I made Alex’s pancake batter but cooked them in my waffle iron and topped it with a blueberry apple reduction that I made. I have a snow day from school today so I had lots of time to make breakfast. Have a great weekend Heather!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Ann Claire,
I need to waffle-fy Alex’s pancake recipe. It’s been too long since I used my waffle iron. Sounds like you enjoyed your snow day. :)

Lily February 4, 2011 at 11:32 am

I had carrots in my breakfast, too! Carrot cake oatmeal, YUM. It’s so funny, I came about THIS CLOSE to adding part of a chopped up granny smith apple to my oats…but then I realized I’d have to trek upstairs to our outside fridge in the garage to get the apple and it’s FREEZING cold and I’m a big weenie…so I opted for apple-less oats. But next time, I’m totally going to go for it. I’ve been craving orange food like crazy lately–sweet potatoes, carrots, even orange juice (and I’m NOT a juice girl). I went to WHFoods about beta-carotene to try and figure out why we need it, exactly, and, therefore, what my body’s trying to tell me…You probably already know this, Heather, but apparently the corpus luteum (the part that’s left of the egg follicle after a woman ovulates) contains the highest concentration of beta-carotene of any organ in the body. So beta-carotene is apparently crucial to reproductive processes and menstrual recovery and whatnot, although there’s no consensus amongst the medical community as to why that might be. Weird, huh?

If anyone else is curious, like I was, beta-carotene also helps with the following:
–preventing Vitamin A deficiency
–enhancing immunity by providing lots of good antioxidants
–stimulating proper cell-to-cell communication

(list courtesy of WHFoods–love that handy-dandy site!)

So carotene is kind of important! Way to go, HEAB, eat ‘dem carrots for breakfast! :)

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Lily,
You totally need to trek upstairs next time for the Granny Smith!

I have read that vitamin A is very important for the reproductive process, but I wasn’t sure why. So interesting – thanks for the info. Yay for carrots. :)

Kristina @ Life as Kristina February 4, 2011 at 11:34 am

All i’ve had is Kombucha so far….lunch time is nearing so i’m trying to think of something delish!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 4, 2011 at 11:34 am

My breakfast today was pretty standard… A bowl of oatmeal with almond butter, banana, cinnamon, chia seeds, and vanilla protein powder. Boring, but very tasty ;)

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Matt,
Doesn’t sound very boring to me. :)

HVL February 4, 2011 at 11:36 am

You’ve lost yourself a reader.

Quoting WAP is a deal breaker – and the fat quote is ridiculous.

djk June 17, 2011 at 7:00 am

Curious about why quoting WAP is a deal breaker and also why the fats quote is ridiculous. Do you care to elaborate or do you have any literature citing better information? Would be much appreciated.

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 9:29 am

DJK,
Heather here. I’m thinking that HVL will not ever see your comment. Not sure what his/her problem was with me quoting the Weston A. Price Foundation, but many people do disagree with their findings. Can’t please everyone.

Susan February 4, 2011 at 11:36 am

This actually sounds really good Heather! I bet adding ginger to this would be lovely as well : )

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Susan,
I bet it would be. Will add some next time. :)

Rose February 4, 2011 at 11:38 am

That looks totally packed with nutrients. Nice combination!

Miranda February 4, 2011 at 11:38 am

Great info, thanks! I tried something new for breakfast today, and it was great! I made cinnamon spaghetti squash pancakes (and I added ground sunflower and flax seeds for a little more substance). Yum!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Miranda,
Yum that does sound like a great breakfast. Spaghetti squash is so versatile.

rebecca lustig February 4, 2011 at 11:46 am

Hmm, I’ve never tried oat bran, but it looks great and I hear fantastic things about the texture and flavor… Something to add to my shopping list i suppose haha

Heather February 4, 2011 at 11:54 am

I need to try oat bran, lately I have been eating Scottish oats!

I love your perspective on fats! I am a HUGE butter fan! I definitely put it in oatmeal! Sooo good!

I would love to hear your thoughts on olive and canola oil!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Heather,
I use olive oil occasionally, but only raw. I never heat it. So, I’ll use it in salad dressings, etc. For high heat cooking/baking, I always use butter, coconut oil, or beef drippings. I never use canola oil. Not a fan b/c it has a fair amt of omega 6′s, and I get so many from all the nuts and nut butters I eat. So, I try and avoid them in other foods when I can.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 4, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Yes I had a great breakfast. A big smoothie: banana, whey protein powder, spinach, scoop of PB and almond milk. Delicious and keeps me satisfied until lunch!

I love butter. I put it on almost anything. But I haven’t tried it on oatmeal yet, sounds great though!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 4, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Carrots and apples..tumeric, cinnamon, and PB? That bowl was a whole lot of delicious flavors! :) My breakfast was special today, too. I had grilled bananes for the first time in forever! And it too was a load of flavors. PB, chocolate, grilled bananas, cinnamon, and maple syrup. ;)

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Mary,
Grilling bananas really brings out their ooey gooey yumminess. Your breakfast sounds very special indeed. :)

Dorry February 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I think this looks delicious! It’s my husband’s birthday, so we made homemade breakfast tacos at his request. Corn tortillas, eggs, potatoes, chorizo (for him) & salsa. Yum!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Dorry,
I’ve never had tacos for breakfast. Must try that soon!

Dorry February 5, 2011 at 11:55 am

YES! You must. It’s a Texas thing. :)

Natalia - a side of simple February 4, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I never knew that about soaking grains, thank you for sharing! My breakfast was pretty typical with yogurt, cereal, banana, and cinnamon overload. It’s basically my favorite, though you are inspiring me to add more variety!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad February 4, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I have another tip – try soaking it in hot water. I do this in the morning with the extra water I have after I make my tea. Since I always forget to soak overnight, it seems to help if I just soak in hot water for about an hour (of course it is pretty much cooled at the end of the hour).

Lauren @ WWoB February 4, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I adore this post. Saturated fat and cholesterol are NOT bad for us! (Unless of course you are genetically predisposed to high cholesterol, but most of us arent.) We should not be afraid of beef or butter or coconut.
I did a huge informational post all about fats called “The truth: Not all saturated fats are bad” and the conclusion is basically exactly what you ended with… Just eat foods in their natural form! Everything goes awry when companies process the fats..

lindsay February 4, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Looks good to me. We like weird combos, so maybe thats why I don’t think its weird. I add nutritional yeast to my oat bran with tahini and kerri gold, plus a little tumeric and ginger, See, now I’m the weirdo, ha!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Lindsay,
If that combo is weird, then sign me up. Weirdos unite!

Jen February 4, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Bring on the butter! I would rather have the real thing, than something made in someone’s basement that resembles plastic! This is one of the main reasons I stopped following Weight Watchers, everything that is low in points was sugar free, fat free, or you paid the points price.

Jamie February 4, 2011 at 12:49 pm

LOVED this post! great, informative links! especially coming off of a strict paleo diet, i think that soaking my grains might be a good way to incorporate my love for oatmeal and still treat my body well.

and thanks for your response to my post the other day, pointing me to your recipe page. i see lots of tasty meals in my future!!

Caitlin (EatFeats) February 4, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I love your view of fat (and not only because I share it hehe). I’m reading “Good Calories, Bad Calories,” by Gary Taubes, and he spends the first 1/3 of the 500-page book refuting the saturated fat–>cholesterol–>DEATH hypothesis. It is a very interesting, although somewhat alarming, read. Yay Fat!

I’ve never had oat bran, but the texture looks like Cream of Wheat, which I used to looove!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Caitlin,
I’ve skimmed through Good Calories, Bad Calories. My gosh, it reads like one big research paper. Definitely not an easy read, but so interesting!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm

You just reminded me I need to start soaking my oats again the night before I make them. I love ooey gooey oats, so the texture is always so good when I do this!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 4, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I like your take on food and agree with most of it, although I wouldn’t see butter as something ‘we/ve been eating for thousands of years’ . I do think actual butter is more healthy than margarine, but since I am vegan I stick with margarine anyway. ps there are also vegetable oils that are high in omega 3, like flax.

I had no idea that soaking your grains is beneficial. do you use the soaking water?

x sabine

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Sabine,
I did this morning, but I’ve read you should drain & rinse the grains and use fresh water to cook them, but oat bran is too fine, although I guess I could use a cheesecloth or something along those lines.

VeggieGirl February 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm

My breakfast is always special, simply because I eat what I want :)

Molly @ mollyrunsfresh February 4, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I’m not necessarily “afraid” of real butter, I just love peanut butter ;) in a savory bowl of oats, I would probably add coconut butter instead of peanut because it is more versatile and good saturated fats!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm

My breakfast was indeed special… I had leftovers from dinner! That’s always a favourite breakfast of mine.

helen February 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I love butta! You gotta have some butter in your life, and I toatlly agree with your post. I mean who wants to use fake margerines when real butter is more beneficial to you??

I have never tried oat bran, I really need to do that! Thanks for sharing the info :)

Megan February 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I wouldn’t call my breakfast extra special but it was filled with some yummy fats. A handful of macadamia nuts and dried, unsulfered apricots…such a good combo.

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Megan,
Macadamia nuts are my favorite nut!

Clare @ Fitting It All In February 4, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I love how you go against the grain with meals – carrots in my breakfast is not something I would have considered! But it is truly inspiring to see someone who is so in tune with their bodies needs and wants.

My breakfast today was special because I added Chia Seeds to my oats again! I just recently purchased my first bag and am loving the volume I get.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm

It actually kind of was! I usually do my overnight oats pretty standard. Today I went a little crazy, though, and added a bunch of toppings! It was pretty good :D

Christin@purplebirdblog February 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I’m scared of butter because of my dairy issues… it doesn’t bother your tummy?

I have been wanting to get into sprouted nuts and grains, but I don’t think I would have ever thought to soak oat bran before eating it! Does it change the flavor at all?

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Christin,
Nope, doesn’t change the flavor at all, but it does seem to fluff the oat bran. Love it.

Butter is very low in dairy proteins, and so nope no problems for me. Same goes with heavy cream. Ghee (clarified butter) contains next to zero casein, and so you might want to try it first.

Gill (snaxandthecity) February 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm

yum! soaking oats = best thing ever :)

Baking 'n' Books February 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I was wondering what the deal with soybean oil was – I see it in a few things. That and soy lecithin? What is that?…

I didn’t know you should soak your grains too! I knew they recommended that for beans to help with digestion…gosh it seems like everything needs to be prepared beforehand though – what about of-the-impulse eating? Sometimes I don’t know what I want for breakfast and I can’t wait 12 hours to soak it then ;)

Heather February 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I have enjoyed everything I’ve read on your blog – really loved the photo of you and the baby :) My breakfast today was leftover teff pancakes with sliced banana, sliced almonds and some coconut!

I did want to mention – have you tried fenugreek to increase your milk supply? I had trouble at times providing enough milk for my kiddos – this seemed to help – sometimes too much! It’s such a precious time of life and I wouldn’t trade those days for a million dollars!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Heather,
I took so much fenugreek, I smelled like one big maple syrup covered pancake. :) It didn’t seem to help much. The only thing that has helped is thyroid medication. It practically doubled my supply overnight. Summer gets about half her milk supply from me, and I’m so grateful she’s getting that much. It’s been a challenge, but I’m doing the best I can, and you’re right, such a precious and amazing time in both of our lives. :)

clare February 4, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Heather, thanks for the resource (Weston Price). I’m going to have my husband read through. He doesn’t seem to understand the nutritional difference between his frosted shredded mini wheats and oat groats. ;)

Now I’m wondering, how long is long enough to soak? Generally I read “overnight” but is that necessary? Would a few hours cut it?

Also wondering, the article states, “Buy only organic whole grains and soak them overnight to make porridge or casseroles; or grind them into flour with a home grinder and make your own sour dough bread and baked goods.” Should we be getting whole oats and grinding our own oat bran for optimal nutrition? (Too much work, but still wonder what the nutritional difference would be.)

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Clare,
About the soaking, I’ve read you should soak grains 12 to 24 hours.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 4, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I love this and it succinctly summarizes everything I try to remember and live by in my own life and try to write about when I am feeling a little bit philosophical on my blog:
“eat the foods we’ve eaten for thousands of years in their natural form.”

Although I don’t eat them, if you eat eggs, eat the whole egg, not just the whites. If you eat meat, eat the dark meat, not just the white.

If you want fruit, eat it how it came off the tree or how a vegetable came from the ground. This is why I am drawn to raw foods not b/c they are raw but b/c they are close to nature, minimally prepared.

Funny that WAP and raw foods are in the same comment. But there are points from each that are valuable :)

clare February 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Also wondering, the article states, “Problems occur when we are cruel to our grains—when we fractionate them into bran, germ and naked starch; when we mill them at high temperatures; when we extrude them to make crunchy breakfast cereals; and when we consume them without careful preparation. Buy only organic whole grains and soak them overnight to make porridge or casseroles; or grind them into flour with a home grinder and make your own sour dough bread and baked goods.” Should we be getting whole oats and grinding our own oat bran for optimal nutrition? Sounds like too much work, but still wonder what the nutritional difference would be.

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Clare,
I’m not sure. Sounds like oat groats would probably be a better choice, but oat bran and rolled oats are still good in my opinion…better than frosted mini wheats anyway. ;)

P.S. During my first trimester I craved frosted mini wheats like crazy and ate bowl after bowl. Something about those little sugar coated biscuits that are so addictive.

Corey @ the runners cookie February 4, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I used to think butter was not something I should eat, in addition to egg yolks and “too much” nut butter, but you are so right – our bodies need that fat! I admit I was a little afraid I would gain weight after introducing those (back) into my diet, but I didn’t at all – I feel much healthier focusing on more real foods! Thanks for reassuring me :)
I’m not sure I would enjoy chunks of carrots in my oats, but I have added shredded carrots before to make carrot cake oatmeal!

Julia February 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Hallo

I just do not thing that soak the rolled oats or oat bran is helpfull. The article is about whole grain in their whole form about grains that can sprout. Rolled oats or oat bran can not sprout they are not alive nor raw. Other thing the acid is in the soaking water that is why when you soak nuts and seed you have to wash them properly from that water. But how you can wash rolled oats? It is impossible so all hte acid stay in the oats. Sorry my eglish is not as good I am from europe but I hope understand

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Julia,
Totally understand. Very valid points, but I guess it can’t hurt to soak the oats – plus it gives them a better texture.

Julia February 5, 2011 at 12:16 am

yes of course I agree I love overnight oats, but when I want to avoid acidity of water I buy whole oats groats soak them for at leats 12 hours and next day rinse them well blend a little bit in new water and cook for about 10 minutes and they are done. without blending the cokking time takes a little bit longer.:-). I have little girl 20 months old so I follow this rules to make her belly happy and blending is actually for her I do not care chewy texture.

HEAB February 5, 2011 at 8:47 am

Julia,
I soaked brown rice last night with a little apple cider vinegar. Might try blending it today for a little rice pudding action, and I have some oat groats I can soak as well. Thank you – Great tips for when Summer is eating solids, but until then, I’ll eat them. I do love the chew. :)

Ellen February 4, 2011 at 3:48 pm

great post! i always soak my oats (1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 cup water, 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar). in the morning, i add more water to the bowl and pour it off a couple times to get rid of the vinegar and stuff as I am too lazy and half asleep to be bothered with a strainer.

and, i LOVE butter. i used to be grossed out by it when I was younger, but i realized that that is because butter=margarine in my house and in much of america. real grass fed butter is rich and flavorful. my favorite lunch right now is a 3 egg omelet made in a tablespoon of butter, filled with cooked spinach, raw cheddar and a bit of nutmeg. delicious :)

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Ellen,
Nutmeg in your omelet. Yum, I gotta remember that, and yes, there is nothing like real butter. Love it!

melissa @ the delicate place February 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm

i HATE how people think margarine is better than butter or they buy smart balance instead of butter. gahhh it baffles me, give me the buttah!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Melissa, I used to be a Smart Balance girl, but I’ve seen the light. ;)

Lauren at KeepItSweet February 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm

You definitely have the most creative oat mix-ins!!!

Jessica February 4, 2011 at 4:40 pm

You do realize that a HEAB post is incomplete now without a picture of cute little Summer, right…? ;)

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Jessica, hehe, sorry about that. More pics soon. Promise!

A Teenage Gourmet February 4, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I love everything that you teach me! Only a couple more months until Vandy gives me their decision. :) *fingers crossed*

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Sami, yes, fingers and toes crossed! :)

Tracy @ Commit To Fit February 4, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Alas, my breakfast was not that special – just cereal, but tomorrow I plan on having pancakes!

Annie@stronghealthyfit February 4, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I love your stance on fat. I’m re-converted to butter. I never stopped loving it, but I was scared of it for awhile! Now I use it frequently but just watch the portion! I haven’t tried it in oat bran yet…

Namaste Gurl February 4, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I love me some carrot- cake inspired oats. I make carrot cake oatmeal all the time and sometimes, I just puree carrots with cinnamon, and protein powder and top with coconut butter. Best meal or snack ever! :)

SO true about butter and fats in general- it’s the processed foods that have created our obese society!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Namaste, You know I love all your coconut and carrot lovin’! :)

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 4, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Sounds absolutely delicious! I love mixing chia seeds in my brown sugar and maple oatmeal, so I guess that makes it special. I believe my lunch was more special today. I melted some chocolate chips into almond butter and then I dipped an apple in it. Delicious and a great way to satisfy a chocolate craving!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Alex, yeah, lunch sounded pretty darn special. :)

Katherine: Unemployed February 4, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I never would have thought of this being a breakfast food! very great combo there

Hannah February 4, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Eeep! I’ve been adding turmeric to all kinds of things lately too! Mostly to veggies, so I can see the savoury oats with turmeric thing being brilliant :) Hurrah for oatbran! I, too, don’t eat a lot of fruit, as I prefer vegetables, but since buying my blender I’ve been trying to get some fruit in via smoothies.

P.S. Love your take on butter.

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) February 4, 2011 at 7:02 pm

My breakfast was delicouslessy special today! I made oatmeal and added butter, stevia, nutmeg, and chopped dates and topped it all with peanut butter! (recipe on my blog) Mmmmm…. Oatmeal Date Oats are AMAZING!!! But your breakfast looks just as amazing :)
And I love all the spices and fats info! Go butter :)

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Alexandria,
Yum, your breakfast does sound amazing! I love nutmeg. :)

Christine (The Raw Project) February 4, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Very interesting on soaking oats, thanks. My breakfast was a pretty typical smoothie with protein powder, carrots, kale, apple and blueberries.

Pure2raw twins February 4, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Great post Heather!!! We could not agree more. We always try to soak and sprout our grains as well as legumes. Sometimes it happens, and sometimes it does not. We also love our fermented food and drinks, really helps our digestion.

Turmeric and cinnamon are two of my favorites spices too :)

Brittany` February 4, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I wish I remembered to soak my grains. It’s something I really need to do more. I’ve been making homemade yogurt and heard that the whey from yogurt is perfect for soaking grains. Definitely something I want to try.

I hope the challenges are going well for you this week!

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Brittany,
Yes, I read that whey is a great “acid” to use for soaking grains – 1 to 2 TBSP with your water and then drain and rinse. :)

Those mountain climbers and high knees are still kicking my booty. Did my dancer’s pose today, and tomorrow it’s time for some rest. Hope you’re not as sore as last week!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 4, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I love how you added carrot to your oats! Heather, you are so AMAZING!!!

This morning, by oats were Chocolately. :)

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Kathleen,
Chocolate oats sound pretty amazing as well. :)
Hope you have a good weekend!

Kaleigh February 4, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Great post! And what a great combo for your breakfast!

Clairerose C February 4, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Looks delicious except for the carrots…just can’t do the cooked carrots:-)cc

nicole February 4, 2011 at 9:26 pm

My mother always put a pat of butter in our oatmeal, Farina, etc. when we were growing up. I LOVE it. I actually did it the other day since I didn’t have any nut butter. (I wasn’t at home) It’s SO GOOD!
And great advice on soaking your grains. Very interesting!!

Kristin S February 4, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Great post today, Heather! Love the links. I’ve been working my way through that Price Foundation website myself lately. Good stuff.

My breakfast rocked today! I had some homemade roasted pecan (with cinnamon) nut butter on toasted Udi bread, along with some chai spiced Tulsi tea. MMM mmm! Great start for a Friday :)

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Kristin,
Yep, sounds like a perfect start to your day. I really want to try Udi’s bread as I hear it’s the most tasty gluten free option out there.

Jill February 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Ironically enough, my breakfast was kind of special because I had one of the new Fage 0% flavors-the Cherry Pomegranate which tasted amazing. (I think that I must be one of the last health-conscious people whose body seems to like dairy! Haha) But don’t worry, I had a pretty good amount of butter on my toast so I wasn’t without fat :-)

HEAB February 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Good job Jill, and if it wasn’t for whey and casein, I’d be downing Greek yogurt like a crazy woman. I still have yogurt sometimes b/c I crave it, and I’m really sad b/c TJ’s no longer sell their brand of goat milk’s yogurt which did not bother me at all. :(

How are you? We need a yogurt date soon!

Meagan February 4, 2011 at 11:43 pm

By the picture I thought it was chicken soup oat bran and I got really excited.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 4, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I LURVE butter!! :D Nothing natural is unhealthy, and I’m with you 100% on refined seed and vegetable oils. Butter, EVOO, and avocado oils are my go-to oils of choice. I sure wish manufacturers would get off of canola and safflower, as if it’s healthy! Whole Foods and other “natural” stores are riddled with these products and they are basically expensive junk food with poor quality ingredients.

/rant

carolinebee February 4, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Say whaaa….HEAB does weird things with her food!??? NEvaaa..;D

I’m so on the butter bandwagon now, thank goodness. I remember going to Costa Rica 2 summers ago to visit my uncle, and he made me oatmeal and I came downstairs to watch him stirring butter into..and I literally had an internal FREAK.OUT. I’m sad that I was like that, but so happy that I have recovered and grown out of that extremely negative and self-destructive mindset.
Plus now i have more rational fears, like the thought of EVER doing Bikram yoga again..;D

HEAB February 5, 2011 at 8:44 am

Carolinebee,
Yes, I remember your trip to Costa Rica – was that really 2 summers ago?!? So happy to hear you’ve come around to butter…are you eating the lard yet in homemade tamales? ;)

Breaking Free February 5, 2011 at 2:44 am

I love that you are not afraid of butter!! I used to be terrified of it too until recently. For some reason I thought all butter had trans fats in it, until I realized it was because of the oil the companies used. So I went out and got some non-trans fatty soy butter, spread it on my pancakes and am lovin’ it!!! Way to break some rules!!

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas February 5, 2011 at 6:15 am

I love this post! I totally agree with you take on eating whole/natural foods. It’s the only thing that makes sense to me! And I get such a good feeling feeding my toddler that way, too.

And butter rocks! I don’t eat a whole lot of dairy, but I like a little butter and I just can’t do substitutes like margarine. I’ve been finding organic cream at a good price lately, so I’ve been using it to make my own butter in a mason jar. I just have to be careful letting my son see me shake the jar, though…one time he grabbed it to help and wound up popping himself right in the nose with it!

HEAB February 5, 2011 at 8:43 am

Wendy,
That is so cool you make your own butter!

Sarah February 5, 2011 at 8:01 am

I agree with your stance on fat too — bring on a little butter. However, I find that Nina Planck is often taken a little out of context and open to misinterpretation: she doesn’t advocate the use of regular butter and other high fat dairy — she advocates organic, local, grass fed dairy (and meat too!), the kind you’d pick up at your local farmer’s market, not the supermarket. Don’t think KerryGold qualifies (even though it is delicious)…unless you live in Ireland. ;)
BTW, my local TJs (I’m in MD) still sells the Goat’s milk yogurt, just saw it last week, so don’t give it up hope — maybe it will show up again at your store.

HEAB February 5, 2011 at 8:42 am

Sarah,
I sure hope so – miss my yogurt!

Cailin @ Stir Crazy February 5, 2011 at 8:06 am

This post was chock full of info! I’m somewhat of a nutritional info junkie :) I never knew that about grains. Often when I’m making anything with grains, I’m either to hungry to take the time to soak them or am time-crunched. I’ll have to remember this and think ahead next time.

Breakfast is always special for me… my favorite meal of the day. Today it was a simple bowl of oats with bananas, blueberries, honey, almonds, flaxseed and wheat germ. So simple, but so delicious.

kathleen February 5, 2011 at 10:41 am

i ate frozen banana “ice cream” with raw chocolate chips and walnut butter. why i want a cold breakfast when it’s freezing outside i do not know.

Colleen Stewart February 5, 2011 at 10:45 am

Heather you’ve never steered me wrong! So yesterday while my husband and I were grocer shopping I spotted a box of Arrowhead Mills organic oat bran. I said to my husband “one of my favorite blogger’s lives on this stuff. I have to try it!” Oh my gosh! I just finished my first bowl. Hot creamy and such a comfort food! I mixed butter and raspberry all fruit spread into mine. My only complaint? I only made one serving! Oh and thanks for the info about soaking. I will do that tonight!

HEAB February 5, 2011 at 10:48 am

Colleen,
My ego loves when I make an appearance in conversations amongst people I’ve never met in person. Hehe. ;)

So happy to hear you tried the oat bran. Isn’t it so good, warm and filling? I love it – sounds like you do too. Welcome to the world of oat bran goodness!

Lauren February 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Hey Heather! Just to clarify, you soak your grains in water over night, then you drain the water off and then cook them in fresh water? Is this right? I really want to start doing this, as I feel it will make grains easier on my tummy and leaky gut issues.

Thanks!!

HEAB February 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Lauren,
Yes, try soaking the grains for 12 to 24 hours – just on the countertop. No need to refrigerate. Add enough water to cover and some of sort of “acid” like 1 to 2 TBSP of lemon juice, liquid whey, or apple cider vinegar. In the morning, drain, rinse, and cook your grains in fresh water, and hopefully fewer tummy troubles! :)

Lauren February 5, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Awesome! Thanks again Heather :)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 5, 2011 at 3:49 pm

The next time I go to the health food store, I am getting oat bran. It’s so good and I never eat it. Thanks for reminding me about it! I love coconut oil ( but I’m going to try your homemade coconut butter instead.. I just need to make that health food store trip!)..

HEAB February 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Melomeals,
Oh my gosh, if you love coconut oil, just wait until you try the coconut butter! Enjoy. :)

Tita February 5, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
Thank You Heather, what a great post!!!
My meals are so much more fun, delicious and healthy since I’ve been reading your blog…. You rock!!!!! :)

HEAB February 5, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Wow Tita – thank you. Hope you’re having a good weekend. :)

Allie February 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Hey Heather, unsure where to post this, I figured you and your readers would like this site: http://wellnessmama.com/
Have a great day!

Mimi (Gingersnaps) February 5, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Do you notice a real digestive difference when you soak your oats? Just curious!

I LOVE Weston A. Price Foundation stuff. I find it funny that he and raw foodists often say the same thing. Fallon, the current president of WAP, is going to be part of this big upcoming debate series hosted by Kevin Gianni. I’m looking forward to it!

I don’t eat breakfast much anymore (well, coffee + cream) but this morning I made a random batch of REALLY tasty pancakes. I combined 1/2 ripe banana with two spoonfuls of almond flour, some baking powder, an egg, and spices. They need looow heat, but they came out SUPER fluffy and delicious. I was amazed at the fluff factor.

HEAB February 5, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Mimi,
Well honestly, I always forget to soak my grains, but I’m making more of an effort lately, and if I do notice a difference, I’ll let you know.

I would love to attend that debate series. Do you know if it’s going to be recorded?

Also, love the pancake recipe. So simple! I need to try that.

Mimi (Gingersnaps) February 5, 2011 at 10:11 pm

It’s a huge series, actually! http://www.renegadehealth.com/ghd/register6.html

Recordings will be available, but only for 24 hours post-lecture. I know you’re hubby’s kind of Paleo–if he likes Mark Sisson, Sisson’s squaring off against Frederic Patenaude, a low-fat vegan. Out of curiosity, does he like Robb Wolf? Wolf’s pretty awesome; I love his podcast, even if we don’t always see eye to eye.

HEAB February 5, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Mimi,
Great – thanks for the link. I will definitely be listening to some of the debates,and as far as Robb Wolf goes, I know CD’s mentioned him, but he hasn’t read his book. Not sure if he reads his blog or not.

The Dainty Pig February 5, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Love this post, and love you!!! :)

Sandi February 5, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I went through a phase when I was eating vegan where I became literally afraid of butter and cheese. They just seemed so gross, fattening and pointless. Now I’m getting over that and enjoying butter on my bread–just a pat turns a delicious piece of homemade sprouted grain and seed bread into, well, mouthgasm? I’ve never tried butter in oatmeal though, maybe that can be my next challenge :)

HEAB February 5, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Sandi,
Ah yes, I’ve been there. Used to be an Earth Balance girl myself, but now I’m all about the butter. Mouthgasm is a good word – I concur. :)

Nicole @ Of Cookies & Carrots February 7, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Great post! :) I definitely need ot try oat bran… I’m a total oatmeal junkie but would be open to expanding my horizons ;)

{ 3 trackbacks }