And So Avocado Week Begins

by HEAB on February 6, 2011

I recently received some beautiful ripe avocados in the mail…

Avocados are a nutrient-dense fruit providing our bodies with vitamins, minerals and phytotnutrients, including potassium, vitamins B6, C, E, folate, and fiber. Besides all of that, they’re just plain yummy.

This morning, I spread half a mashed avocado on 2 big slices of Friday night’s socca with a little coconut cream.

Mmm, I love a good avocado/coconut combo!

And in honor of Pancake Sunday, you can click here for my avocado pancake recipe.

img_44821.jpg

I’m declaring it avocado week here at HEAB, and I’ll hope you’ll join me over the next 7 days for some avocado amazingness. :)

P.S. I made some chocolate coconut mocha no-bake oaties, and you can find the recipe on my new Oatie Recipe Page.

Enjoy and Happy Superbowl Sunday!

Summer may look happy, but deep down she’s still really upset the Bears aren’t playing today. :(

Baking 'n' Books February 6, 2011 at 3:53 pm

What a smile! That’s adorable. I’ve been eating avocados in guacamole recently (not sure if that’s spelled right).

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Girl, yous my twinnie! I have been all up on the avocado-lovin lately, I just made a BOMB Raw Chocolate Mousse, aka I have made it approx. 3 times this weekend. So good:)

I have never thought of avocado on socca! Sounds yum, and so do your ‘cado pancakes, I’ll have to give those a whirl:)

Gen February 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Summer is adorable!
I’ve never had an avocado, so I’ll be looking forward to all of the different recipes!

carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 6, 2011 at 3:59 pm

LOVE this avocado LOVE!! I am def checkin out that pancake recipe!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun February 6, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Ohmygoodness Summer’s smile. Beautiful. She looks excited to watch the Superbowl regardless of what teams are in it!
Can’t wait to read more Avocado Week posts!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 6, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I love love LOVE avocado! I just had a chocolate and avocado pudding, which was SO yummy! I’ll definitely join you in the avocado-lovin’ this week! :D

Christine @ Merf In Progress February 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I *love* avocados, but I don’t have many creative ways to enjoy them. I bought one yesterday and was planning to just slice it up and drench it in blue cheese dressing. I figure there is a better (and healthier!) way…

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Great minds think alike (check out my post) ;)

Heather J February 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I had avocado this morning too! I made an avocado pudding using a ripe avo, a ripe banana, cinnamon and chocolate protein powder. I think regular cocoa powder would have been better but it was still ok!

kate@ahealthypassion February 6, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Love avocados but always am looking for more ways to use them, cant wait to see what you have in store.

BethT February 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Summer looks so much like you when she smiles!

Carbzilla February 6, 2011 at 4:28 pm

i just made guacamole for the game! Then had some on my veggie sandwich (I’m obsessed with veggie sandwiches this week). All hail the avocado!

Corey @ the runner's cookie February 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Oh my gosh, Summer looks so much like you, Heather!! Seeing her face on here always makes me smile – she’s beautiful :)
Avocado pancakes sound amazing…we used our avocados to make guac today, but next time I want to try your recipe!

rebecca lustig February 6, 2011 at 4:41 pm

she is SO cheesin. gorgeous, i love it!!

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine February 6, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Summer is so cute! I’m totally joining you in avocado week! I used to be allergic to avocados and somehow I became cured! I had food poisoning the week of thanksgiving and stuffed myself on guac since I figured it couldn’t make the stomach ache any worse than it already was. Ever since then, I’ve been fine eating avocados!

HEAB February 6, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Sonia,
Stinks about the food poisoning, but sounds like something good came out of the ordeal. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 6, 2011 at 4:52 pm

no doubt those no bake oaties are amazing. Chocolate no bakes can’t be beat. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 6, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I just bought two avocados today! I’m really excited for them!

Summer is too cute!

Gina February 6, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I just ate some avocado in my salad beast! I love them :)
I’m dying to make some Chocomole with ripe avocadoes!

Summer is so precious!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 6, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Summer is so cute!

I scored a bunch of avocados on sale for .77 each last week so I bought up a bunch of unripe ones. I’ll join you in avocado week. I had some chipotle hummus inside of half and avocado for a good snack today.. yum!

melissa @ the delicate place February 6, 2011 at 5:15 pm

i love avocadosssssssss. let’s go steelers!!

Abby February 6, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Yay! I eat about five avocados a week, so you get my seal of approval ;) My favorite is simply a whole avocado mashed up and for a sandwich on toasted Ezekiel bread with a little nooch and spinach. Yum.

Katie February 6, 2011 at 5:26 pm

She’ll be a Packer fan before the day is over, just you wait and see!

I wish I could partake in avocado week, but I’ll be out of town for most of it…I’ll have to start when I get back and play a little catch-up. :)

alli February 6, 2011 at 5:43 pm

yum! avocados were on sale here 5 for $1 so i grabbed a bunch :)
i’m going to try this recipe this week:

Ali (Student on A Health Craze) February 6, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Avocado is probably my favourite vegetable. However, I’m very uninspired in my use of avocado – I either eat it on it’s own or in a tricolore salad, I’ve not found any other recipes that I like! I’m sure you’ll inspire me to try it another way this week :)

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 6, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Summer is so cute – I love her “jersey”

I cannot wait for avocado week! Woohoo!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 6, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I’ve been wanting to try avocado chocolate mousse and avocado cake. Sadly, I’ll be away from my kitchen all week for work and won’t be able to join. But I will be able to look at your tasty creations. Excited!

eliz@thesweetlife February 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm

She is so, so cute. Love the box of avocados–what a great gift to unwrap!

Robyn jones Clark February 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I’m going to try the chickpea flour recipe. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Trying to decide if I should roast them or not.
I love avocados :) I went to a restaurant this past week and they had an avocado bisque. They were out, boo! But I’m going to look for a recipe to recreate it :) I’ll share if it turns out good!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Summer is growing sooooo fast!!!!

I love the no bake oatie action! Just last week I made a no-bake oat + cocoa powder + PB granola bar. Only b/c I was too lazy to roll into balls, bars are faster :)

It’s a microwave + freezer thing. And it’s fast.

And next up, need to try the no bake oaties b/c i have a huge vat of TT’s coconut flakes to use!

And i love avos. nice score!! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm

ok and i was just reading the oatie recipe…they kind of remind me of what i call my chocolate coconut snowballs. Which are scott’s fave dessert of all time i think. And mine too b/c they are fast and no bake and minimal dishes. lol.

Except yours has espresso powder in them which just made my eyes light up :)

A Teenage Gourmet February 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm

EEEEE! What a cutie! :)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) February 6, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I loooooove avocados – will definitely join you! And I so want to try the avocado-coconut combo!

Summer is the cutest! :)

jen @ taste life February 6, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I have an avocado and ready to eat it tomorrow.

Love Summer in that outfit!

carolinebee February 6, 2011 at 6:59 pm

YUMM i just ate 1/2 of one on my salad :D My own gameday meal lol….I think i’ll make it Avocado week ova here too, and head to Chipotle tomorrow…..

Ana February 6, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Summer is just adorable! :-)
I love avocados too Heather, and have been eating about 1/2 avocado every day.
My favorite thing to do is use in salads and… smoothies!! Yep, I loooooove putting a slice or two on my fruit smoothies, it makes it sooooo creamy and soooo fluffy. It is amazing, you need to try it!
My favorite is 1/2 cup greek (or goat) yogurt + about 1 to 1 1/4 cups berries (strawberries and blueberries, or strawberries, blackberries and raspberries) + avocado (1/4 of an avocado is what I usually add) + 2 tbsp rice protein powder (optional, if I want extra protein) + stevia to taste and just a little water – I don’t add much because I like it thick, creamy and fluffy! (I know it may sound weird, but the smoothie really comes out fluffy, it is amazingly good, seriously!)
I use frozen fruit and then I add about 1/4 cup water (or almond, or coconut milk) in order to be easier to blend, but sometimes I let the fruit defrost and then I add only a couple tablespoons (eyeball it), just so it is easy to blend.
I love this smoothie, it is by far my favorite of all. I make smoothies with berries and avocados basically everyday, if not for breakfast I have them middle afternoon.
Love avocados, grew up eating them and will always love that fruit!

Ana February 6, 2011 at 7:20 pm

It is 1 tbsp rice protein that I add to my smoothie, not 2. I have been using the nutribiotic vanilla. I like the sun warrior even more than the nutribiotic, but it is more expensive, so nutribiotic it is!
Sometimes I add 1 tbsp jay robb unflavored whey protein and 1 tbsp rice protein, but never 2 tbsp rice protein or it overpower the fruit flavor of the smoothie (it gets kinda chalky)

Picky Nicky February 6, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I have 3 ripe avocados in need of some eatin’! I can’t wait to see more recipes from you :D Oh, and Summer is getting so big, she’s SO cute :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 6, 2011 at 7:36 pm

She is so stinkin’ cute! I love her little smile! It puts a smile on my face every time!

Jill February 6, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I sort of feel scandalous admitting this, but I tried avocado once and was not so keen on it (texture? oiliness? don’t really know what it was). And I’m one of those crazy people who is pretty lukewarm about avocado. But for your sake I may give avocado another try this week :-)

A couple of my coworkers who are originally from Africa will just bring half of an avocado as a snack and eat it straight!

HEAB February 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Jill,
I do the same thing – eat my avos straight up. Did it for lunch today, but don’t feel bad, you’re not alone. My mom is not a fan of avocados either, and I still love her. :)

Nicole @ Of Cookies & Carrots February 6, 2011 at 8:03 pm

That smile of Summer’s is the cutest thing ever! I love that picture. :)

And those oaties look fabulous too!

I’m actually weirdly not much of a fan of avocados… sigh. :/ I’m sure they’ll grow on me eventually… most fruits and vegetables do ;)

Jasmine February 6, 2011 at 8:05 pm

oh my goodnesss i am addicted to avocados!
thanks for the recipes!!! can’t wait to try them out!

CH February 6, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I just had a salad topped with about 5678 servings of guacamole. Made me think of you. :)

Emily February 6, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Very excited for this week in HEAB!!! Oh, and I am making socca tomorrrow :) Summer is too cute!!

Christin@purplebirdblog February 6, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Summer’s face is the cutest thing ever ever!! That little smile is too much. :)

And avocado week?! Sign me right up for that! Can’t wait to see all your avocado goodness!

Clairerose C February 6, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Oh My Gosh!!! That face is so precious!!:-)cc

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I’m really excited for this week Heather!!! Avacados are one of my favorites. Summer is SO CUTE!!

vanillasugarblog February 6, 2011 at 8:40 pm

my gosh it seems like just yesterday you gave birth. i cannot believe how big summer has gotten. unreal and too stinking cute!

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 6, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Awww Summer! ;)

Can’t wait for this week! I don’t eat a lot of avocado’s because I have no idea what to do with them! Can’t wait for some ideas!

Hannah February 6, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Avocado pancakes… now there’s a recipe guaranteed to make me forget I used not to like either of those things! Also, I JUST BOUGHT coconut flour, so clearly I need to make these just as vehicles for coconut cream :)

Heather February 6, 2011 at 9:32 pm

That pic of Summer is so cute! Love that smile!

Woo hoo for avocado week!! I just bought a bunch on sale at the store the other day! Can’t wait to see what you come up with! I made some savory spinach pancakes today and topped them with a cashew cheese sauce and avocado…so good!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama February 6, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Yay for avocado week!

Melissa @ TryingToHeal February 6, 2011 at 9:46 pm

she is absolutely adorable! i’m sure she’s enjoying her first superbowl!

and i can’t wait to see what else you come up with to do with those avocados! i’ve got three and need to use them up!

Shruti February 6, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I absolutely love avocado, but not just in dips/as a spread. You can make amazing fudge and chocolate pudding with it :) Try it out.
Side note, in that picture of Summer she looks a lot like you!

G February 6, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Avacados = <3
Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

Amelia February 6, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Mmm…avocados! I just bought a couple yesterday at WFoods since they were on sale. I love them alone, in guac, on a sandwich, and in chococado pudding. I have not yet tried them in pancakes, but if you say they are good, I’m sure they are! Have a great night!

sarah @ eatliveaustin February 6, 2011 at 11:08 pm

i think avocados are one of the best things in the world. so delicious, yet so versatile. excited to see what you do :D

Kiran February 6, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I gotta try that avocado pancake recipe! Looks sumptuous :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 7, 2011 at 12:37 am

What an awesome delivery!! :D Avocado ROCKS!

I need to make some socca… and no-bake ballsies! :)

lorne February 7, 2011 at 3:47 am

Ooooo H, I loveeee avocado. I have four on my window ledge just waiting to be gobbled up. I often have it with hummus and lemon on my favourite crackers. yum yum yum.

Great in smoothies too as it makes it nice and creamy.

Kath (Eating for Living) February 7, 2011 at 6:51 am

The pancakes look awesome! I’m very much looking forward to your avocado week! :D

Charlene February 7, 2011 at 7:42 am

avocado week = best type of week :)

Kristina February 7, 2011 at 8:28 am

Besides nut butters, there’s no better gift then some ripe avocados!
Summer is getting so big-and even cuter, is it possible?!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 7, 2011 at 8:58 am

So glad you liked the chickpea flatbread! It’s so ridiculously easy and good! I love wrapping a burrito in it.. it’s like a protein package of goodness!

Erin @ Big Girl Feats February 7, 2011 at 9:41 am

I looooveee avocados. So excited for this week :) And it’s my birthday tomorrow so that’s extra excitedness! I am loving the recipes lately, Heab!

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 10:37 am

Erin,
Happy birthday one day early. I think you should celebrate with a raw chocolate pie in honor of avocado week!
Crust recipe here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/10/28/heather-pie/
Filling: 2 ripe avocados, 4 TBSP cocoa powder, sweetener to taste
Whipped cream topping: 1 cup soaked cashews, 1 cup water, sweetener to taste. :)

Erin @ Big Girl Feats February 7, 2011 at 11:33 am

You are a GENIUS!!! Thanks Heab :) I can’t use soy sauce for the time being on this pre-treatment diet – do you have any idea what I could substitute? Non-soy, non dairy…

Pure2raw twins February 7, 2011 at 10:05 am

Girl you know we love some avocados :)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables February 7, 2011 at 10:33 am

Yum!!! I want some avocados! I never seem to get them at the right time though. They’re either not ripe, or I wait too long, and they go bad :( Maybe I’ll try some this week, for avocado week though ;)

I did have some delicious guac yesterday, so I guess that counts!

Little Bookworm February 7, 2011 at 10:35 am

Adorable photo of Summer! Love avocados – especially when mixed with chocolate! :D

Gill (snaxandthecity) February 7, 2011 at 10:39 am

I ate an entire avocado yesterday so this post is definitely talking to me! Love them in smoothies in particular – try this recipe if you’re ever in need of a smoothie, it’s really good!

1 serving choc/vanilla protein powder
1/2 avocado
ice
1 cup milk (I used almond)
1 tbsp carob powder (or cocoa)
1 tsp maca power
1 tbsp oats

SO filling and tasty! :)

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 7, 2011 at 10:52 am

I will definitely be joining you in Avocado Week!! Avocados have to be one of my top 5 favorite foods :)

Katherine: Unemployed February 7, 2011 at 11:02 am

avacados in pancakes! you’re talented

Alisa Fleming February 7, 2011 at 11:33 am

Okay, forget the food … that is the cutest little picture ever!!!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 7, 2011 at 11:45 am

Yay for avocado week! That was one of my new years resolutions (to eat more avo’s) and I’m proud to say its been going extremely well ;) I made your maple nut oaties and of course they were a hit, again! They are my absolute favorite cookie I blogged about them more again today. SO good! Looking forward to avocado recipes!

Lauren February 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Haha! Everyday is avocado amazing-ness for me!!! :)

Monica February 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Email me Summer, I am sharing your Bears pain and we can help each other. :)

I just pulled out my Bears jersey for the first time since the last game and I am slowly but surely starting to recover. We just have to stick with the official motto of Chicago sports fans – maybe next year.

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Monica,
Yes, here’s to 2012. :)

Samantha February 7, 2011 at 11:26 pm

*jealous* Avocadoes are NEVER that pretty here, they’re usually bordering on too mushy/bad by the time they get shipped in. But it won’t stop me from trying the pancakes w/ coconut cream!

Summer is the heartbreaker of the blog world!

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 5:21 am

Sam,
Really? I figured Guam would have really good avocados. :( Regardless, I hope your pancakes turn out good!

Casey Thomas February 8, 2011 at 12:15 am

Avocado is possibly my all time fave food. I love it on, in and with everything!

I make a delish avo/coconut combo where I simply process together an avo, stevia and carob or cacao powder, then add in a handful of coconut chips, mix it and put into blobs on a plate in the freezer. Once they are fully frozen they taste amazing!

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 5:24 am

Casey,
I am go making that this week – thanks, your blobs do sound amazing! :)

Casey Thomas February 8, 2011 at 5:54 am

Yay! Hope you like them :)
I plan on posting an exact recipe for them this week.

ashley@quasichick February 8, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Avocados have to be tied with bananas for my fave food :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats February 9, 2011 at 10:41 am

I somehow missed it was avocado week at HEAB, but seem to be having my own avocado week. sliced avocado with hot sauce on red pepper boats last night for dinner, and this morning I a large avocado with a bit of sweet potato and tempeh hash and, you guessed it, hot sauce. SO good.

Ashley L February 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I need to start back on avocados. Last spring I lost 40 lbs adopting a healthy fat diet like you did. Late summer after I was hospitalized I fell off that wagon as well as the workout wagon (healing injuries) and gained 20 lbs back of the 40 lbs I had lost.

{ 3 trackbacks }