Socca To Me Pizza

by HEAB on February 7, 2011

For the Superbowl (Go Packers!), I made some socca crust pizzas.

I followed Melody’s recipe, making 2 large pizza crusts. So easy and delicious – thanks Melody. Both CD and I loved your recipe! Atop both our crusts, I piled on some melted butter mixed with minced fresh basil and caramelized onions. CD’s pizza got chopped sun dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese melted under the broiler, and I added some chopped avocado to mine in place of the cheese. Avocados make a great sub for cheese with their creamy goodness.

For breakfast this morning, I reheated my leftovers, adding more chopped avocado. Love pizza for breakfast.

Last night while CD watched the game, I played with Summer’s hair..

.IMG_7258.JPG

Her first ponytail. :)

Did you watch the game last night?

chocolate-covered katie February 7, 2011 at 11:54 am

O.M.G. Please forgive me if I don’t answer your question of the day. I’m too distracted by the insane CUTENESS that is staring at me on my screen.

No one should be that cute; it’s not fair to the other babies! ;)

Rachel Hale February 7, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Isnt that the truth!! She is a dolly!!

Darcy @ She Sings at the Table February 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I just bought my first bag of chickpea flour–what timely inspiration!

And yes, I watched the game last night. Not…attentively (too many fun people to chat with), but I watched :)

Whitney February 7, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Haven’t had avocado on pizza… I will have to try that one!

We ate CD’s almond butter chili for the super bowl!! Delicious

Summer looks just as excited as you about her ponytail :) , but she does look very cute!

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Whitney,
Ahh, CD will be so happy to hear that. How about a pizza date soon. Chris and I want to try this place: http://www.bellanapolipizzeria.com/. Heard anything about it?

Whitney February 7, 2011 at 6:39 pm

We should try that place! I haven’t heard anything about it, but we’re up for trying it out :)
Maybe we should start a quest to find the best pizza place and go to a different one every time. I am sure CD could come up with some sort of scoring method for us to systematically rank them!

Baking 'n' Books February 7, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I was wondering if you could make pizza with that! I put tempeh on pizza the other day. Good! Love summer’s new ‘do :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods February 7, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Interesting pizza…you never cease to amaze! Summer looks too cute for words.

The game was alright, but the most entertaining part for me was Christina’s insane version of our National Anthem. hee hee ;)

Marina February 7, 2011 at 12:14 pm

You are glowing so much, and your eyes are filled with happiness. I have to say, it’s wonderful seeing you and your baby like this, made my heart go awwww :)
Specially on that picture on the post below, where Summer is smiling :)

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Marina,
Yeah, she looked much happier in the photo from my previous post. Don’t think she was a huge fan of her new do. Thanks for you kind words – Summer does make me so happy. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 7, 2011 at 12:19 pm

The pizzas look delicious! Love the ponytail! She is so cute!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 7, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Yes I watched the game on and off — it was background “music” all evening!

I don’t know if Summer is a fan of the pony tail :)

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Holly,
Hehe, yeah, I don’t think she liked it much. :)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Those look great! I’m so glad you liked the recipe… I love your toppings.

Your daughter is adorable.. what fun it will be as she gets older. I had two boys, but I have two little nieces and I love fixing their hair..

I did not watch the superbowl…

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 7, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Socca is all the rage these days on the blogs!

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine February 7, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Socca for pizza crust!! GENIUS!
Baby’s first ponytail is sooo adorable :)

Gina February 7, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Oh my goodness, the pony tail is sooo cute!

I’ve never had pizza for breakfast but it sounds wonderful :)
Especially topped with avocado!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 7, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I was doing homework instead of watching the game… So ready to be done with college.

Avocado.. SO GOOD!

Christin@purplebirdblog February 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I am with you on the creaminess of avocado being a lovely cheese substitute! I made a cheese-less quesadilla a while back with hummus, avocado, and spinach… deeeeeeelicious. :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Lol…funny hair on babies is always a hit. :-)

We made socca pizza the other day– so good!

Eliz@The Sweet Life February 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I can’t believe how quickly she’s growing! Pizza looks delish.

Ana February 7, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Playing with baby hair is fun! I could not make ponytails on Matheus but there were plenty of mohawks! :-)
Yesterday night I had my back facing the TV because I was playing monopoly with Matheus while him and his dad watched the game. I had plenty of guacamole along with lime chips though. I couldn’t care less for football, but avocados were loved while I kept falling on Matheu’s boardwalk and lost all my money :-)
Have you tried Food Should Taste Good lime chips Heather?? We discovered them last week and both me and Matheus are addicted. Seriously good chips. I actually don’t care for chips, at all, but there are so good. The lime flavor is subtle but delicious. They are good just by themselves, and go well with guacamole – not so much with salsa though, or maybe it was the roasted chiplote salsa we had here that didn’t go with it. The boys had multigrain chips of the same brand to go with salsa… more guacamole and lime chips for me!! :-)

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Ana,
I actually won some Food Should Taste Good chips, and the box arrived late last week. Haven’t busted into yet, but hope the limes ones are in there!

Corey @ the runner's cookie February 7, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Could Summer be any cuter?! Seriously precious! Your avocado pizza looks great too – I really need to try that as a topping.
I did watch the game – I was more excited about the pizza and wings and commercials than about the football, but that was fun to watch too ;)

Lauren @ WWoB February 7, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Cant lie… I didn’t watch the game last night. I hopped on over to the gym and took advantage of the fact that there was only 1 male in the entire complex (and I am at a university, so there are usually hundreds). I used the squat racks and did all the things that I usually feel inhibited doing!
I DID however make socca! I had never heard of it before! I used your recipe, but for the oil, I used garlic infused grapeseed oil and it tasted like superb garlic bread. Mmm. I want to make a corn bread socca next! I was thinking a bit of cream and some fresh corn, both whole kernels and mashed. Im salivating right now.

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Lauren,
Ha – I am too. The cornbread socca sounds divine!

Riss February 7, 2011 at 1:17 pm

My stomach just growled. And I have avocados in my kitchen that MUST be used. Pizza on a week night? do I even DARE!?

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Riss,
Do it! :)

VeggieGirl February 7, 2011 at 1:19 pm

YUMMMM!!

There was a game last night? ;)

jen @ taste life February 7, 2011 at 1:24 pm

All last week I kept thinking I wanted to make a socca pizza – you beat me to the punch! You made it sound good, though, so I’ll make it soon :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 7, 2011 at 1:25 pm

That picture of the two of you is so nice :) love it. your pizza looks so good! dont you love savory breakfasts? lately they’ve been my staple in the mornings instead of sweet.. i save the sweet oats for the evening :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I need to get some good chickpea flour! That looks delicious!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 7, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Ahhh my two favorite things, chickpeas and pizza!:)

She is too cute, slash I only watched the commercials on hulu, football is too boring for me!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm

That ponytail is too cute! I love it!!

I did watch the game last night. It was a good one even though I didn’t have a team to root for. {Sorry, Lions, maybe next year?!!} :-)

Oh, how I love caramelized onions. Your pizza looks fabulous!

Tulika February 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Can Summer get ANY cuter?! Love the hairstyle.

And perfect timing with the socca pizza crust…I was actually planning on making a pizza crust with chickpea flour this week. I’ll definitely have to use this recipe!

Kaneil, The Ritts February 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm

LOVE her little “bird hair” ponytail! A lady in front of us at church had her teeny tiny newborn in a sling (and of course she was all I could pay attention to)…her hair was awesome! dark and fluffy, like summer’s! she’s adorable, heather!

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Thanks Kaneil. :)

Kelly February 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I had Soca last night for the very first time, thanks to the Pure2Raw twins bringing it to our Super Bowl party. It was very good! You’re lucky Summer has enough hair for a ponytail. I was two before I had that much hair. She is just so adorable! :)

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Kelly,
So jealous. I would love to attend any party with some Pure2Raw food! Love those twins. :)

Lola February 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Summer is too cute :)

Tracey February 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Awww…Summer is so cute!

I did watch the game last night. I thought it was good, both teams put in a lot of effort.

Amy February 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I tried to watch the game, but just wasn’t really into it. I could hardly pay attention to the commercials, mostly due to a bad headache. I think I missed not having a ‘square’ this year.

Summer is SUCH a punkin! I would much rather talk about her than stinky old football anyday!

Dana @ my little celebration February 7, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Nope, sure didn’t. It may be because I don’t own a TV. But even if I did, I probably wouldn’t have tuned in. I’m not a sports fanatic at all : )

Cute ponytail on HEABlet!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 7, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Her hair is toooo cute! She has more hair at age 3 months than some babies have at a year! And knowing what amazing locks you have, I am not surprised :)

I have not yet made socca. But oh my, I seriously want to. All the cool girls are doing it. I need to jump on board!

I did not watch the Superbowl. I worked, and also went to the mall (posted about it! went makeup shopping and shopping with Skylar) and enjoyed no screaming fans at the TV in my earspace :)

Cat @ WellSavannah February 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm

We sure did watch the superbowl, until halftime at least. Favorite part: VW starwars darth vader commercial! That could have been Cayden cast as Vader! He does the same stuff around here everyday. I have to get a video camera!

I made pizza with Cayden this weekend too, but made the classic mistake of piling the toppings too high! Your pizza looks perfect. I need to give socca a try. Where in the world will I get chickpea flour here I wonder?
*p.s. Adore Summer’s new ‘do! Cuteness

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Cat,
Haha – yes, I remember Cayden playing lightsaber (sp?) with big sticks that day we walked around the park. Too funny! :) You can make your own chickpea flour! http://blog.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/how-to-make-chickpea-flour-at-home/

Ashlei February 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm

It was a good game last night – horrible horrible half time show though!

Lauren February 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm

OMG. Summer’s ponytalil= epic :)

Katie February 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Did I watch the game? psshh. Silly question. :)

Love the green and gold theme – I just posted my green and gold eats from yesterday this am. It wasn’t even planned. I swear.

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Katie,
I thought of you often during the game. :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence February 7, 2011 at 3:32 pm

what a cute ponytail!
i watched, but didn’t really care about the outcome.

Jen February 7, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Awww! Love her cute little ponytail!!!
Nope, didn’t watch the game. I’m the most anti-football person ever.

Caitlin (EatFeats) February 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm

My boyfriend’s mom sent me a socca recipe that I’ve been meaning to make for A YEAR. Oops!

Yay Packers!

Katherine: Unemployed February 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm

great job keeping the the avocados! yay for football season being over! (as soon as it starts)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) February 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm

That pizza looks amazing! I’ve never put avocado on my pizza before, but I think that next time I make pizza, I will use guacamole instead of pizza sauce!

That ponytail is the cutest ever! Summer’s hair is getting long. :)

Oh and I tried the goat milk butter. I loved it! It was perfect on a seven grain bagel this morning!

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Alexandra,
I must find that butter! :)

Christine (The Raw Project) February 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

The pizza looks amazing and I was just thinking of trying socca as a pizza crust, now I will! :-) Thanks.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Awww, her first ponytail!! Adorable! I was noticing the other day that she had quite the head of hair! Must be all of her momma’s nut nutrients. :)

That socca pizza looks deeeeeeelish!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 7, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Awwwe Summers so cute with her hairdo :) Glad your team won!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 7, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Oh I want some socca please! I did before, now I really do! I love avocado for it’s creaminess.

Summer is too cute!

Pure2raw Twins February 7, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Love the ponytail! SO cute. Yay for socca pizza, looks like something we would love.

carolinebee February 7, 2011 at 7:24 pm

SO PRESHHHH!!! I did watch the game, wasn’t too concerned over the fb…loved the commercials, and usher!! :D

Amanda @ The Artsy Kitchen February 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I always put avocado on my pizza too! And I agree, it’s a great sub for cheese, I could practically eat avocado on top of anything!! :)

Summer is adorable!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog February 7, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Heather, where DID you get that fetching tan? Is there sun in Tennessee lately? And as one of three girls, my mom learned quickly that long hair was the only way to fly—those ponytails were both lifesavers for “get it out of her eyes” days, and easier on the wallet. So my older sis: short hair. Me: long with bangs. My younger sis: long, no bangs. Do you see a progression? ;)

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 9:30 pm

S,
I was a total tomboy growing up and wore my hair in a ponytail everyday for years! You’re right – so much easier than dealing with any other style. Although I would pitch a fit if there were any bumps on top. Every hair had to be smooth. Haha, my poor mom!

Gosh, I didn’t realized I looked tan. We did go for a 30 minute walk yesterday, and I do try and get outside whenever it’s sunny. I thrive on sunshine. :)

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble February 7, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Summer is adorable and that pizza looks amazing!! Yum!!

Annie@stronghealthyfit February 7, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Wow, that was fast to already have a ponytail! So cute :-)

Monica February 7, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Wow, you are a very impressive, mature Bears fan! I couldn’t bring myself to cheers for the Packers because I am still bitter about the loss. But I am loving Summer’s outfit!

I watched the game, but only for halftime and the commercials – I read through the plays. :)

Robyn February 7, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Hi Heather!
That pizza looks really good! I like the idea of avocado. But you know, I used crumbled cauliflower on pizza the other day and it really gave me the sensation of eating cheese. I just threw it in the food processor and then onto the sauce on my pizza. Good stuff.

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Robyn,
Cauliflower “cheese” – great idea! :)

Helen February 7, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I love the pony tail! Too adorable. She has some hair, start early so she will be accustomed to them :)

We did watch the game…..big football fans in this house.

I need some try this socca!

Hannah February 7, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Caramelized onions! Love love love those things. Hmm, I wonder what I could make to combine my new coconut flour with caramelised onions? :P

HEAB February 7, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Hannah,
I’m not sure – let me know if you come up with something! :)

Kayla February 7, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I love the Summer pictures. She is SO adorable. (And you just glow – love it!)

Maren February 7, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I keep thinking that there’s no way Summer could get ANY cuter, and then you put up an even more adorable picture!! :)

Kristen February 8, 2011 at 4:39 am

I recently moved to Spain and was surprised at how disappointed I was to miss the Super Bowl! It was the social aspect. Just missing home.

I promptly watched the highlights upon waking on Monday morning! Ahh… I felt like an American again. :)

If only I could find chickpea flour here!

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 5:25 am

Kristen,
Not sure if you access to a good blender or food processor, but if so, you can make chickpea flour: http://blog.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/how-to-make-chickpea-flour-at-home/.

Happy to hear you enjoyed the highlights! :)

Kristen February 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Thank you so much for the link Heather! Consider it done! :)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) February 8, 2011 at 5:49 am

YUM! I’ve been meaning to make that. I’d be curious to see how it worked with almond or coconut flour.

I watched the game at an ex-pat bar in London. But they didn’t have the commercials! The best part was Aguilera’s flubbing.

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 7:35 am

Mimi,
No commercials?!? That stinks. I remember watching the Superbowl at 2 AM in the basement of our dorm with 3 other Americans when I was in London. It was so fun.

I’ve tried subbing millet flour for chickpea flour in socca before, and although it tasted okay, it wasn’t very pretty.

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 8, 2011 at 7:51 am

Ohmygoodness, I lierally JUST made socca pizza for dinner!! Great minds think alike Heather!! ;)

And Summer is SO adorable!! Any time you need a babysitter…! :)

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 8:23 am

Emma,
I’ll add you to our babysitting list, and Summer has put in a request for a delicious bowl of Monday morning oatmeal. :)

Tes February 8, 2011 at 7:57 am

It’s been a while I’ve last visited your blog. The last time I was here you were 7 months or so and nowww I’m just looking at that sweet little angel on your lap with a cutest tiny ponytail :) Wow this is so amazing :)
As always you food looks healthy and delicious…i’m gonna try this pizza real soon :)

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 8:19 am

Tes,
Welcome back. :)

Heather February 8, 2011 at 8:06 am

Aww, Summer is totally rocking that Pebbles pony tail! How cute!

Your socca pizza looks delish! I’ve never thought of using avocado as a sub for cheese! I am so topping my next pizza with it!

Hanna M. February 8, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Pics of Summer are overdoses of adorable!

So, chickpea flour is on my shopping list again… Thanks for introducing me to Melomeals. An amazing blog!

Megan (Braise The Roof) February 8, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Ah, she’s decked out in Bears gear- I love it! ‘Atta girl!

Jess February 8, 2011 at 4:17 pm

looks amazing heather, did i send you my recipe for avocado fries ?
if you’re a big avocado fan (which i suspect you are!) these will be right up your alley:D

Livvy February 8, 2011 at 4:48 pm

All of these socca recipes going around the blogger world! It all looks so yummy! Thanks for the recipe idea:) I’d love for you to stop by my blog sometime.. ;)

kathleen February 8, 2011 at 8:50 pm

i’ve made socca for years now using it as GF replacement for naan. i use garbanzo bean flour to make GF pizza crust. why i never thought to use socca as a pizza crust… duh. genius.

Baking Serendipity February 8, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I love pizza for breakfast! And the ponytail :)

Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com February 8, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Preggo w/ our first (a girl!) so not sure if she’ll have hair! You have such a cutie w/ a cute ponytail!!!

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Tori,
Congrats, that is so exciting. I love being a mama! :)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins February 8, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I just recently started playing around with garbanzo bean flour recipes and after seeing your creation, socca pizza is definitely next on my list! Love the idea of avo on pizza!

ashley@quasichick February 8, 2011 at 10:45 pm

her 1st ponytail!!?? OMG how cute
I can’t wait to try these!

{ 5 trackbacks }