Chocolate Soup

by HEAB on February 8, 2011

Avocado recipe of the day…Did you know it’s Avocado Week?

Hot Chocolate Soup in my cool moose bowl.

Also makes a great dipping sauce for pancakes…

201102080746.jpg

In other news, look at the new bracelets I bought….I love them.

Beads of Hope

Orphans in Northern Uganda roll each bead by hand from recycled paper, and all profits from the sale of the jewelry go directly to projects that support the orphans of Village of Hope Uganda. The orphans making the beads receive food, education, and medical care, as a way of providing for themselves and their siblings. I am in no way connected to the project – I just think it is a really cool organization and wanted to share. Please click here to learn more about Village of Hope Uganda or to purchase their handmade jewelry.

Sarah February 8, 2011 at 9:18 am

I just got a shipment of those beads. I wasn’t expecting them until closer to the middle of April when i’m planning to host a Ugandan jewelry party, but now I’m thinking maybe I can’t wait that long! I love them and what organizations like Village of Hope (and 31 Bits- the organization I got mine through) are doing.

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 8, 2011 at 9:19 am

Mmmm that looks awesome!

Heading to the post office between classes today ;)

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 9:23 am

Me too – Oaties are all boxed up and ready to ship! :)

rebecca lustig February 8, 2011 at 9:23 am

dipping sauce for pancakes? perfection!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 8, 2011 at 9:26 am

What beautiful jewelry– and what a beautiful cause!

And, what beautiful chocolate dipping sauce :-)

VeggieGirl February 8, 2011 at 9:27 am

MMMM that soup looks enticing!

Beautiful cause for the beads.

Errign February 8, 2011 at 9:36 am

We sold those beads at my office on campus as a fund raiser but they were called Beads for Life. They are beautiful though, I picked up a bracelet for myself.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 8, 2011 at 9:38 am

The chocolate soup sounds so good! Love the beads. I will go check out the link! Thanks for sharing Heather. Have a great day!

MaryBe February 8, 2011 at 9:40 am

I really need to try that soup!

Gen February 8, 2011 at 9:40 am

Chocolate soup? Sounds right up my alley!
Love the bracelets, by the way!

Katie February 8, 2011 at 9:44 am

My mom has a few of those bracelets, too! Love them and the cause! :-)

Katie February 8, 2011 at 9:45 am

I bought my best friend a necklace from there for Christmas! Such a great website and cause.

Wishing I were eating avocado soup right now.

Eliz@The Sweet Life February 8, 2011 at 9:46 am

Beautiful bracelets and love the story behind them!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods February 8, 2011 at 9:55 am

Love the beads, not so sure about the avocado soup. Heab eats some crazy stuff! Love it!

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Jen,
Me? Eat crazy stuff? Nah. ;)

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews February 8, 2011 at 9:58 am

That looks awesome! I would love to try it.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 8, 2011 at 10:00 am

Pancakes/dipping sauce – genius! Looks so good.

I’ve seen those bracelets but didn’t know much more about them. What a great organization and they sure are beautiful!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 8, 2011 at 10:21 am

Such pretty bracelets, and the story behind them make them even better.

nadia February 8, 2011 at 10:26 am

the soup looks so creamy and enticing!!! + those bracelets are so pretty!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 8, 2011 at 10:57 am

Ahhh chocolate soup! A girl after my own heart:)

Slash I love those bracelets, my mom has a few of them that I borrow:)

Erin @ Big Girl Feats February 8, 2011 at 11:12 am

I just made my first avocado chocolate pudding last week. I was so surprised at how good it is! Genius idea for a pancake topper :)

Little Bookworm February 8, 2011 at 11:21 am

Love the sound of chocolate soup! Those beads are lovely, sounds like a great cause too!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 8, 2011 at 11:28 am

Theres a store not far from me that sells all handmade stuff made by people in less fortunate countries- like jewelry, gloves, scarves, boxes, etc and all of it is so nice. i love supporting places and things like that, and they make great christmas or birthday gifts ! my favorite potholder was made in guatemala and they even put the name of who made it on the label :)

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Felicia,
Is it Ten Thousand Villages? If so, we have one in Nashville. I love that store!

Cati February 8, 2011 at 11:48 am

oh my goodness! one of my friends brought me back that same kind of bracelet after she spent a year working in Uganda!! I love them and love that I’ve seen someone else now with the same thing! I wear mine all the time!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy February 8, 2011 at 11:57 am

Chocolate soup sounds super good! And I love the bracelets – they’re really beautiful and it’s great that buying them supports a good cause!

lindsay February 8, 2011 at 12:00 pm

whta beautiful beads. So meaningful! I worked in an orphanage in Zambia in 2006. I loved it. Those kids are amazing!
And I knew I craved avocado even more this week for a reason. Now I must go stock up and celebrate!
LC

Amelia February 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Avocado week? I just may have to try that Hot Chocolate Soup since there is an avocado screaming to be used up in my fridge.

The bracelets are beautiful!

Christin@purplebirdblog February 8, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I do love those bracelets so very much!! Gorgeous, and such a wonderful cause!

And your chocolate soup is also quite gorgeous! Mmmmmmmmmmm…

Dorry February 8, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I’m in a chocolate-themed week on my blog – I think I’ll make a version of this chocolate soup!

Syndie February 8, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Yum, must make this ASAP! Beautiful bracelets. Ordered my book last week. Couldn’t find it locally so I am waiting on it to arrive :) Will keep you posted.

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Syndie,
Oh good – so glad you ordered the book!

jenny eats nutella from a spoon February 8, 2011 at 12:57 pm

oh man, i love those beads! the only jewelry i wear are marbley beady bracelets like those.

also, i think i’ll go for that chocolate soup this morn :)

Katherine: Unemployed February 8, 2011 at 12:58 pm

gorgeous bracelets! there is a shop called Ten Thousand Villages that sells fair trade and other pieces like that. It’s great that it has a story behind it

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Katherine,
We have a Ten Thousand Villages here in Nashville. I buy all of my Christmas ornaments there .They have the coolest stuff!

Erin (Pretty In Primal) February 8, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I love avocado chocolate soup/mousse! I like to add a pinch of sea salt (because chocolate seems to always be that much better with a little salt!) and a few drops of vanilla. I use different liquid bases, but canned coconut milk is particularly yummy:)
You can also make it Mexican style with cinnamon and a teeny pinch of cayenne. Muy bien!

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Erin,
Mmm, Mexican hot chocolate – such a great combo, and yes, chocolate is always better with little sea salt. :)

Ana February 8, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I call it avocado mousse, or chocolate avocado pudding, it is the best!
What a nice cause and such cool beads, I really like that!
I bet Summer will love to play with your bracelets while you are carrying her!

Heather February 8, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I’ve made something very similiar to this in the past, but I never thought to use it as a pancake dipper! I am a HUGE fan of dippage! I have been known to scoop up just about anything and call it dip. So excited to give this a try!

jen @ taste life February 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I can’t believe those beads are made by hand out of paper…amazing!

Nicole February 8, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Those beads are very pretty. Amazing that they’re made out of paper.
Chocolate avocado pudding….so.good. But warm? Yes please!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 8, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Those beads are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the info. Holy hot chocolate soup! I want to go make some right now. But I just ate lunch, so I won’t. :-)

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Maryea,
Make it for dinner. :)

kate@ahealthypassion February 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm

omg my boyfriend got me a few of those bracelets awhile ago and I love them but I had no idea thats where they came from! :) So wonderful to support such a great cause.

Tyrah February 8, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I have one of those bracelets, love it and the cause!
It’s pretty much unofficial avocado week here too…just eating a ton of them and loving every bite =)

Rachael February 8, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Thanks for promoting an awesome project – I’m convinced that women are the key to economic sustainability in Africa, and I love seeing things like this get attention – we may not be able to buy our way into a better world, but at least we can choose to use our dollars ethically :)

Helen February 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I love avocados! I use them in all types of dishes. One of my favorites is to use them in the place of cream for dishes such as alfredo sauce. Of course nothing beats dicing up one of those babies and tossing it in your mouth!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 8, 2011 at 3:25 pm

The bracelets are sooo cool. And the message is so wonderful!

And avocado soup or sweet sauces…I never knew how amazing avos could be in sweet applications til I started making what i call raw vegan chocolate mousse. If you add enough cocoa powder and agave and vanilla extract to anything, you can make it taste amazing :)

Seriously though, when i bring that mousse to parties or make it for guests, it always blows them away and no one ever guesses what the secret ingredient it. The avo adds such great creaminess and fattiness to the mousse recipe.

Love the looks of everything you made…delish!!!

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner February 8, 2011 at 3:33 pm

That looks delicious! I would definitely just eat that with a spoon. I’ve never tried using avocados in pudding-like recipes, although I’ve always been intrigued. I might have to try this one!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 8, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Mmm chocolate soup- I could definitely got for some of that!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble February 8, 2011 at 4:33 pm

It’s avocado week? Yum! Not that I don’t eat avocados every week, but I’ll enjoy them more this week!

My mom got me some of those cool bead bracelets for christmas. I had no idea the cool story behind them though.

Baking 'n' Books February 8, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I read something the other day about how we don’t think twice about a professional baseball player or athlete making millions of dollars per season – while the people that make their clothes are making only cents.

Sad isn’t it, the world at times.

So highlighting an organization like this helps to brighten it up. Namaste indeed.

Jess February 8, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I actually traveled to Uganda this summer–bought so much of those beautiful beads! It was a life-changing, total perspective-altering missions trip. The kids are beautiful and some of the sweetest, sincere people you will ever meet live there.

LOVE that you got some of those beads! Whenever I wear mine, I always think back to the kids/babies at the orphanage where I stayed <3

HEAB February 8, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Jess,
That is so cool you got to travel to Uganda. I would love to spend time there someday!

Kiran February 8, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Hot chocolate soup? I better make some :D

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) February 8, 2011 at 6:22 pm

That chocolate soup looks delicious! It reminds me of the breakfast I had this morning – oats with mashed avocado/banana and cocoa powder and then topped with coconut butter. YUM!
And I love those bracelets – beading is one of my favorite hobbies! :)

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine February 8, 2011 at 6:43 pm

the bracelets are gorgeous! And for such a great cause too- love it :)
And the soup looks fantastic! I feel like I can taste it right now…

Katie @ peacebeme February 8, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Whoo hoo! Avocados are one of my top favorite foods ;) . I have actually eaten a loooot of guacamole already the last few days. It’s been awesome!

Hannah February 8, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Gorgeous beads! I just tried avocado as a sweet mousse recently, and was blown away. Definitely need to try your chocolate version! Creamy creamy goodness…

Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 8, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I’ve been meaning to try chocolate and avocado together. Often. Hasn’t happened yet. And this recipe looks amazing.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 8, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Those beads are beautiful! Thank you for the link.

Yay for avocado week! Avocado , cocoa and stevia makes really good frosting too!

Emily February 8, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Mmmm sweet avocado treat, I love it! And i also love the new bracelet :)

ashley@quasichick February 8, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I love those bracelets! Beautiful colors!

Namaste Gurl February 8, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I lurve (if their was an italics button, I would press it!) avocado smoothies. Heck, I adore ANYTHING involving lovely avocados. I like to think of them as precious jewels from goddesses :)

I made the best avocado pudding last night. I scoop vega, 1/2 avocado, 1 tablespoon carob, 1 cup coconut milk, cinnamon and ginger :)

HEAB February 9, 2011 at 8:44 am

Namaste,
You had me…until Vega. Just can’t get into that stuff. Otherwise, your pudding sounded perfect. ;)

Melissa B. February 9, 2011 at 8:50 am

I just discovered Vega, and I love it! I’ll have to try your pudding creation :)

Kaleigh February 8, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Well that just looks delicious! I’ve been absolutely obsessed with chocolate lately so this makes me want to have this every meal!

Runeatrepeat February 8, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Love the beads of hope!

Nicole @ Of Cookies & Carrots February 9, 2011 at 1:03 am

Those bracelets are beautiful… My mom actually used to make some similar beads, they always end up looking really good! What a great cause, too :)

Hmm, chocolate avocado soup… I’m intrigued, and I’m not even a fan of avocados ;) (sorry if that’s blasphemous!)

HEAB February 9, 2011 at 8:43 am

Nicole,
Nah, my mom’s an avocado hater, and I still love her. ;)

Anne February 9, 2011 at 4:27 am

Not trying to discredit this organization per se, but I think it would be good for people to know that this is a Christian based group. With the recent, extremely depressing death of David Kato, the openly gay human rights activist, it is widely thought that the rampant homophobia in Uganda is due to the influence of Christian missions.

Saba @ Less is More (Fun) February 9, 2011 at 7:43 am

I LOVE those beads! I actually bought a necklace for a small women’s co-op when we were visiting in Uganda. Yeah, I’m that fancy. ;)

Also, this has nothing to do with your lovely chocolate soup recipe, but I wanted to let you know that I tried oat bran for the first time this morning. I was inspired by your overt love for it on this blog, and let me say – it is amazing! It’s the perfect mix between grits and oatmeal, in my humble food opinion.

HEAB February 9, 2011 at 8:42 am

Saba,
That makes me so happy you tried oat bran. Isn’t it so good? Definitely the perfect mix between grits and oatmeal – good call. :)

Saba @ Less is More (Fun) February 9, 2011 at 7:44 am

I LOVE those beads! I actually bought a necklace from a small women’s co-op when we were visiting in Uganda. Yeah, I’m that fancy. ;)

Saba @ Less is More (Fun) February 9, 2011 at 7:53 am

Sorry for the double post! :(

Kari February 9, 2011 at 9:33 am

I love avocados!

Try an avocado sandwich (pita stuffed with avocado, tomato, onion, and alfalfa sprouts with mustard). Avocado mash on toast (ezekiel bread with a tiny bit of coconut oil and mashed avocado with sea salt on top [nutritional yeast optional]). Nanacado Pudding (avocado, banana, a little water blended until pudding like, garnished with dried blueberries). The Almighty Guacamole on EVERYTHING (avocado, tomato, onion, salt, cilantro) from Garden of Eatin’ chips to romaine lettuce leaves. Avocado mixed with black beans or chili (Amy’s Black Bean Vegetarian Chili) roled up like a burrito, on chips, romaine leaves, etc.

We dig avocados at the KE house….. Well, Wren and I, not so much BigDaddy…because he won’t try it.

HEAB February 9, 2011 at 9:37 am

Kari,
Can I come over? ;)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 9, 2011 at 10:41 am

Those beads are awesome! So pretty :)

J.Flo February 9, 2011 at 10:55 am

I’m SO in LOVE with Avocados!!!! This week is so exciting for me, so many new things to try. Here’s something that’s my absolute favorite treat ever- Avocado Milkshake: http://www.jflofashion.com/2011/01/avocado-milkshake.html

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel February 9, 2011 at 7:08 pm

i celebrated your avocado week by adding some avocado to my lunch today! i almost forgot to add it but at the last minute i remember and rushed into the kitchen to slice some on top.. mm it made all the difference and was totally worth it! <3

xoxo

Sophie February 13, 2011 at 10:06 am

This chocolate soup was ooh so tasty!
Thanks for your grand avocado recipes. They truly rock!
I am just learning how to cook, bake & eat it, besides just smoothies & guacamole!

Casey February 22, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Hi Heather,
Question on the bracelets. :) They are gorgeous and I would love to support that cause…do you think they would fit someone with very small wrists? I rarely buy bracelets b/c they are always too big. Are they stretchy? About how many inches around are they?

Thank you! :)

HEAB February 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Hi Casey,
I have fairly small wrists – I always have to wear my watches on the smallest hole, and they still move around my wrist. 2 of the bracelets fit perfect, and one seems to be slightly bigger than the other 2, but they all fit me fine. They are elastic, but I’m not sure of the exact length. I bet if you emailed the Village of Hope people, they would be able to tell you. Hope you get some. I love mine!