A Mama’s Morning and Comments On

by HEAB on February 17, 2011

First off, I’m having a bit of a blogging crisis. I MISS hearing from all of you. For anyone who missed it, I closed the comments last week as I was struggling with time management. However, I’ve received several emails from readers telling me they really miss the comment section of HEAB, and I have to admit that I do as well. So, please let me know how you feel -- even if you’ve never commented, do you miss reading through them?  If so, I’ll leave them open, but I won’t be able to respond like before. I’ll try to answer any questions you may have, and of course you’ll hear from me if you say something brilliant or hilarious which many of you often do. Seriously, this blog is for all of you -- so please let me know your thoughts: comments open or closed?

So, onto my day. I thought I would share what a typical morning looks like as they’ve changed a bit over the past 3 months or so. ;)

Summer went to bed last night around 7:30 and starting stirring at 5:15 this morning. I went in, patted her belly, and put her pacifier back in her mouth hoping she might go back to sleep until at least 6, but nope, that didn’t happen. So after listening to her talk to herself for over 10 minutes, I went in and got her out of bed, changed and fed her, and then she sat next to me in her bouncy seat while I pumped. Yep, still pumping.

Afterwards, I cleaned up the nursery, and then Summer and I went downstairs around 7  to say good morning to CD and the pups as they headed out the door for a run. Meanwhile, I made a pot of decaf and some breakfast.

My bowl contained 1/4 cup rolled oats cooked in 1 cup HEABified coconut milk over low heat until thick. I then stirred in about 3/4 can of pumpkin, 1 TBSP brewer’s yeast, cinnamon, & vanilla and topped things off with unsweetened coconut cream. Summer sat next to me while I ate and drank  coffee with cream and vanilla stevia drops. We discussed the day’s current events and Mama Pea’s BBQ Black Bean Pita Pizza.

By 7:30, Summer was ready for morning nap #1, and while she slept for an hour, I finished drinking my coffee and answering emails. After she woke up, I changed her diaper, and from about 8:30 to 9, we played and had a little tummy time.

At 9, it was time for Summer’s mid-morning snack. Breastfeeding is still a bit of a challenge for us, but we’re doing our best. Each session takes 45 minutes to an hour. After Summer ate, I changed and dressed her for the day, rocked her for a little while, changed her outfit again after a minor spit-up episode, and then put her down for a 2nd morning nap around 10:15.  As soon as she fell asleep, I went into cleaning mode and tried to pack in as much as I possibly could while she slept. I showered, straightened the kitchen, sterilized all the bottles and pumping equipment, and then hoped to start this post. However, the dogs started barking and woke Summer up at 11. Ugh. Oh well, we needed to leave for Mommy & Me yoga at 11:30 anyway. So, I got the diaper bag packed, pumped (I always pump before leaving the house if I know we’re going to be gone for more than a couple of hours), changed Summer’s diaper, and we made it to yoga class just in time.

So, that’s a typical morning in my life these days. Things can get kind of crazy, and some days are really hard.  That being said, I love being a mom. Best job ever. :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm

While I’ve still enjoyed reading HEAB without the comments, I think a blog is not a blog without the comment section. So my vote is to keep them open even if you can’t respond like you used to be able to. I think everyone understands. :-) The description of your day brought back memories of when Meghan was still an infant. Believe me, it gets much easier as they get older!

Summer is such a doll!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats February 17, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Just realized I had not yet replied to your last email – I know you are busy, but I still should have replied. WIll do that later today. Have a wonderful day.

(And yes, I do love the comments on your blog – I love reading what other people suggest about recipes and so forth. It totally adds to the community feel of your blog)

Dea February 17, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I understand why you closed the comments, but I loved them.
Anyhow, best job ever! I say as my two are playing in their play kitchen and lunch is simmering away.

Laura February 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I loved this post! Getting a sneak peek into the morning of a mommy was so special. I really enjoy reading the comments even if you aren’t able to “participate” as much as pre-Summer days. It’s always interesting to read thoughts and feedback from other readers, and I’ve found a few new blogs to check out from your comments section. So, my vote is “open”! :-)

Samantha February 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I’d have read and loved the blog with or without comments but it is nice to read through them. Especially when a topic is broached where several viewpoints are shared. Hopefully all your readers understand you can’t respond to ALL comments. No other bloggers do.

Summer is just too delightful for words! She’s blessed to have you as a mommy and vice versa. Mommying is a HARD job (I type this as my 8 year old is mad at me because he must get dressed for school!), but it’s the most rewarding. Enjoy the crazy ride!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 17, 2011 at 4:29 pm

To be honest I liked reading the comments — but please do what works for you.

I’m trying to think of something witty to say so you comment back, but I got nothin! :)

Baking 'n' Books February 17, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Hah – I’ll respond then :)

HEAB February 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Hey Holly,
Witty or not, please know that I always really appreciate your sweet comments. :)

Baking 'n' Books February 17, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I agree – you have to do what works for you. But I like reading the comments too.

I think you just need some time to “strike a balance” – you used to respond to just about every comment! But I say just respond as you feel or to answer questions, commentary, etc. Change it up!! I don’t think anyone’s going to be mad at you haha :)

(Besides – then your still just getting a bunch of emails with questions and comments you have to answer!).

LOVIN’ pumpkin lately – that orange sweet hue…

Vanessa February 17, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I can understand how addicting reading everyone’s comments can be, and then you feel guilty if you don’t read them all or answer them back. I think we all know what your number one priority is in life right now, as Summer should be. I have learned so much from your blog, not just what you write about but when you ask for advise or suggestions from your readers. My favorite one is when you asked for our most embarrassing moments! Please keep them open but maybe at the end of each blog remind us that you don’t have the time to follow up due to the wonderful addition of your family!

Katie February 17, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I love the comments on all blogs. I never used to read them, but you get such a feeling of friendship and community readying them. Its sometimes more entertaining than the blog post! (At least in my case it often is…)

I don’t think anyone would object to a blanket “i’m not responding to comments” from a brand new mother!

Polkadotmommy February 17, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I love your comments… Even when I Don’t leave one myself, I enjoy reading through them. It’s always amazed me how you managed to reply all the time!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun February 17, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I vote comments on! I can’t even count how many times I’ve read through the entire comment section of one of your posts. Your posts always bring great convos in the comment section! :-)

Marina February 17, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I missed commenting on your amazing posts :) I’m sure none of your readers will mind that you aren’t responding to all of our comments. Just know we still comment with lots of love and appreciation.
Summer is adorable :) Enjoy your day and yoga!

lindsay February 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Oh we miss you too! But I definitely understand that being a mom comes first. Summers is getting bigger each day, I love seeing her grow!

Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses February 17, 2011 at 4:40 pm

It gets easier…well…sort of. I guess it just stays busy but different busy. But always wonderful being a mom.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 17, 2011 at 4:41 pm

You are one busy mamma! The bowl of oats sounds AMAZING! That is definitely going on my list of things to make! As far as comments go, you can’t answer all of them, but I do like reading them. I understand that it is hard for you to have time to say something to everyone, but I always feel like comments on other’s blogs are helpful too. I hope you have a great night Heather!

Wendy Heath February 17, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Open please! I am ok with you not responding as I am sure many of us are. Being able to.comment makes me feel connected… even if I don’t get a response. I also love love love reading other comments!!

Sarah R February 17, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I second this!

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) February 17, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I third this!! I love reading what everyone has to say, and don’t mind if you’re not able to reply to each comment :-)

Heather-who also likes almond butter February 17, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Ultimately, you need to do what works for you and your little angel. That being said I like the comments, and have found other great blogs through yours (selfish, selfish reasons, I know).
I don’t think anyone expects a response (even if they’d like one), unless it’s a straight-up ?, & then they’ll just have to be patient and understanding if you can’t answer, which I’m sure your readers are.
You got more done in 6 hrs than I ever got done in a day @ that stage! It took me, like, 3 hrs to get out of the house, which usually wasn’t before 1 or 2 PM. You are an amazing mommy :)

Anne February 17, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Another vote for: love the comments. I especially like when other readers try your creations and share their reviews/modifications…always nice to see what others’ creative minds are up to. I don’t think anyone will mind you not responding, even if you take several days off. I sometimes take a few days off the internet all together to re-focus on “real-life”.

One important thing I’ve learned as a mom is to let go of trying to do everything. I just do my best each day and try not to feel guilty or apologize for not doing more. Your blog is fabulous and I can’t believe how organized and pretty it is. When I comment on a blog I never expect a response. Usually I just want to give someone a thumbs up for spreading some useful info or yummy food ideas.

Jackie February 17, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I love blog comments and I probably read them about half the time. When I post a comment, I actually am surprised when the blogger responds. I don’t expect a blogger to read all of his/her comments. So my vote is for keeping them open!

kate@ahealthypassion February 17, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I love the comments its so cool to read what others think and makes your blog feel like a big family!

Abby February 17, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Hey lady,
I rarely comment, but I just wanted to add that it was really weird not having the option lately. I can pretty much guarantee it had something to do with avocados or Summer and not that important, but it was weird.
Like everyone else said, don’t put pressure on yourself to reply. I never expect anyone to and to be honest, who has time to do that? Blogging is something you do for YOU and the sense of community you’ve built should be a pleasure and not a pressure. I know you know this, but it can easy to forget ;)
Do what makes you happy–especially if it involves Summer and avocados (not together.)

sabe February 17, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I like reading the comments for the discussion! Even if you can’t respond as much as you have been, I think comments would still be beneficial. :)

A Teenage Gourmet February 17, 2011 at 5:19 pm

There’s nothing better than sharing happiness like this. :)

Evan Thomas February 17, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Definitely keep the comment section open. How else are we going to tell you how cute Summer is? :-)
But really, I say keep them open and don’t feel pressure about replying to people. Lord knows I don’t unless they ask a specific question, and I don’t think that p-sses anyone off though if it does they don’t say.

Heather February 17, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I didn’t want to say anything, because like you said you are a mommy first, then a blogger and if turning off the comments was what you thought was best, I was going to be ok with that. Buuuuuuuuut, since you asked…I’ve missed the interaction so much! I don’t think anyone on here expects you to reply to every single comment, but it just feels so lonely without all that HEAB-fan love! I love reading your blog anyway, but I feel like the comments just add so much more to it…blogs and comments, they kinda go together like peanut butter and jelly, like cake and ice cream, like mustard and stir-fries! ;)

You bowl of oats looks great! I just got some coconut flour the other day and I CAN’T WAIT to make Sarena’s coconut cream!!

Eimear Rose February 17, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Your blog, your rules, but I love the comments too even if that means you’re not able to join in the chatter as much as before. As mentioned above, it gives your blog a real ‘community’ feel and I’ve found a lot of other blogs through yours:)

Kristina @ spabettie February 17, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I love your blog, and part of the reason is because I really feel like it’s a conversation… I totally get that you cannot keep up that level of commenting back, and I also feel like even without a reply, you REALLY do appreciate the comments. It seemed weird to not be able to say hello :)

don’t ever feel pressured – that’s not what blogging and this fabulous community is about!! XXO

Julie February 17, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Hi Heather,
You are so cool. Whatever works for you is what works for me!
I love reading ur blog!
Julie

Lori February 17, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I will read no matter what you do! Do what works best for you, I’m sure everyone will understand. I think most of my comments are about how adorable Summer is, but you already know that!!

Kelly February 17, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I know everyone above said it but really do what works best for you. I get that sometimes the volume of comments is stressful but then if you turn them off it doesn’t feel like a two way conversation. I get it. Tough spot but maybe you just need to take mini breaks. Like once a month go a week without comments to rejuvinate you??

Amelia February 17, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I agree. You definitely should not feel obligated to reply to any comments. Mommy time with Summer is WAY more important and we all understand this. I think that if someone has a pressing question/ issue, they will most likely email you anyway.

Love the cute video. She is so tiny and precious! I love baby noises. :)

Michelle February 17, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I vote to leave the comments on! I completely understand why you’d like to turn them off (your daughter is adorable, btw), so it’s really up to you. But one advantage to leaving them on, is that readers can check the comments to see if someone already asked their question and you answered, before bothering you otherwise. You know, like I did last week when I emailed about the dessert hummus and tasting the nooch. :) Thanks! I love your blog!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 17, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I’m definitely glad to see the comments back on, however..it’s up to you as always! If you need to close them for more Summer time, that’s totally understandable. It’s your blog and your life afterall, not ours. We’ll still be here to read with or without the comments. :)

Virginia @ YtotheUmmy February 17, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Ugh, baby’s are just so dang cute :)

I like the comments!

eliz@thesweetlife February 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I definitely miss the comments and think there is value in readers talking to each other–you definitely don’t need to respond to all or even most!

Helena February 17, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I’ve always loved your blog and since I’m a mom myself I like it even more with everything you write about Summer. When I have time I absolutely read all the comments and I think no one expects you to have time to answer all of them.

I like it so much when you write about you days with Summer and I sure know how busy mornings can be. I have to say that I some mornings feel like I’m going insane trying to keep up with a baby and a toddler plus making breakfast and cleaning.

It seems like summer have a good schedule now. My little one is almost five months and takes about three naps during the day (unless he wakes up at 5am, then it’s four), but the nights are still hard and he wakes up 3-7 times… But it’s for such a short period and I know it will past. Although I sometimes wish I could nap when he does :-) .

I also wanted to say that you are so inspiring and I admire you for being able to eat what you want and feel like, something I’m working on. You are so right! The little ones comes first and if it means that I have to keep my love handles to be able to breastfeed than so be it.

Have a wonderful day!

Hannah February 17, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I do enjoy reading the comments, but I’d hate to think that a sense of obligation was stressing you out and keeping you from Summer! I completely understand and support you leaving the comments on but not often commenting yourself, or turning them off for the peace and quiet. Maybe you could do one week on, one week off? Honestly, I’ll be coming back either way :)

Joelle (The Pancake Girl) February 17, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Oh HEAB, your little Summer is so sweet!

Anyways, I would vote to keep the comments open, but all of your readers will just have to understand that you can’t respond to each and every comment- you’re a busy mama after all. :-) And btw, I have the same yellow placemat! (Target, yeah?)
-Joelle (the pancake girl)

HEAB February 17, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Joelle,
Isn’t Target the best? ;)
Thanks for your support!

Jennifer February 17, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Heather, I’ve only emailed you before never commented here but I read daily – even the comments and I think you should leave them open. I think the comments are a benefit to everyone even when you can’t respond. I’ve discovered other blogs and ideas just from their comments here. Mama Pea is one of my favorite blogs (and I eat meat) but I doubt I would have ever found it if not for your site.

Surely people can understand the fact that you need and want to spend time with your beautiful little one and won’t be able to respond to everyone (or even anyone) at times. To me personally if they can’t understand that I’m not interested in what they have to say anyway. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 17, 2011 at 7:20 pm

“Breastfeeding is still a bit of a challenge for us, but we’re doing our best. ”

GOOD for you!!!!!! So glad to hear it.

Pumping? Yep, did that for a few YEARS of my life so trust me, me and the old Symphony were bff’s. But i wouldnt have had it any other way :)

Your comments being open…actually since you closed yours i wondered what my life would be like with mine closed. The hours every day that I spend reading my own comments and replying to them (not counting commenting on other blogs and writing my posts) well…comments are a FT job! They are a great job but they take time.

I don’t think i would ever close my comments but I can totally understand why someone else may…especially a new mom like you!!

I am thrilled they are back open, I missed them, but also…DONT feel pressure to respond to ppl. Sometimes ppl leave me the sweetest comments and i want to reply to each person and i find myself just sucked in and i dont have the time but i feel bad not replying…but please…don’t feel bad not replying :)

Do what makes your life easy and best. We will all go with your flow :)

xoxo

Katie February 17, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Ooooo I can’t wait to be a mama!! Although, it sounds like the most exhausting thing ever.

I like reading through the comments – but I totally understand to simplify! You’ve got your hands full!

Jess@atasteofconfidence February 17, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I do miss commenting! I really wanted to say something on an earlier post, and was upset when I couldn’t :) But I completely understand why you might want to keep them closed.

Rachel (tea and chocolate) February 17, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I’m happy the comments are back on, but really do what works best for you. We’ll all keep coming back to see Summer either way!

polly February 17, 2011 at 7:31 pm

hi peachy!!!

Just sitting here on our last night in Florida (we leave tomorrow qt 5:45am!!) and munching popcorn and soon to watch American Idol with my honeys. It’s been really fun and a sweet time, but so excited to be home! We are such homebodys. :D Love my own bed and my boring, simple, sweet days.

But.. the sunshine was SO wonderful and we had some silly laughs with our friends and ate some yummy things! I learned that dairy really DOES make my tummy hurt (ouch) but everything else is not too shabby. Loved loved the hot chips at the taco place and the BBQ was fabulous, Heather. Oh my you would have been in loooove!! The beef brisket and smoked turkey and the bacon filled baked beans (all homemade) were too much heaven in my mouth. :P yummmmmmy. D cannot WAIT to go back to the BBQ place, me too!! Also had some other fun things and great salmon and the most delcious oranges ever!!

Gotta skoot but wanted to say that you can change you mind any time and have comments or no comments and shoot… you can call your blog Heather eats twinkie butter and I’ll love you and read and send hugs as much as humanly possible. Lurve you, honey!!

Mandy and her fam is already on their way back to Nashville. If you see her, give her hug!! :) XOXO

polly February 17, 2011 at 7:33 pm

almost forgot… some Floriday pics are up on my blog if ya wanna see the ocean. :) XO

Ste February 17, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I almost never comment — maybe 2 or 3 times — but I do like reading the comments and having the option to comment! But I also imagine it is extremely time consuming for you. I wonder if forums might make more sense? I don’t know. Maybe that’s more bother than anything else. Or maybe it would give us space to interact but allow you some distance?

Whatever you do, I hope you do what works best for you!

CH February 17, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I love the comments on your blog Heather! I definitely think they’re fun to read through and I love “checking in” with you a few times a week. Plus, they’re probably a good little fun break for you when Summer is napping! It sounds like you’re a great mama. :)

I loved hearing about the day! It sounds crazy busy. I would get tired and need lots of naps too, just like Summer!

AJ Glidden February 17, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Hi Heather! I am a reader who usually doesn’t comment, but I wanted to offer some ideas:
1. I don’t usually read the comments unless there are recipes in them
2. People can be pretty cruel in comments, and you will get way more information about breastfeeding and childrearing then you ever cared to know.
3. Why not just ask people not to post questions? That way you won’t have to answer any, won’t get weird questions and won’t have to read the comments if you don’t want to!

HEAB February 17, 2011 at 11:20 pm

AJ,
Yes, I thought about adding a disclaimer to each post about emailing me if any readers had specific questions. I’m just going to leave the comments open for now and see how it goes. Thanks so much for reading and for your kind words regarding HEAB. Totally put a big smile on my face. :)

Kelsey February 17, 2011 at 7:46 pm

My vote goes for comments open… but with NO pressure on you to reply or even read them. I have always loved the comments on HEAB as a sort of forum for readers to discuss topics sparked by your amazing posts. I was thinking that perhaps you closed the comments because just the thought of having them there put pressure on you to read and reply, but I really doubt that any of your readers expect that from you!!! We are all just so thankful that you share so much of yourself already. :-)

Elle February 17, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Honestly, I never expect a reply from the blog author. Definitely not for a compliment and if I have a question about a recipe other commanders often do the trick!

I agree that comments are what makes it feel bloggy. But more so so that I can read other reader’s comments. I’d never expect the author to have the time to respond to everyone!

Gina February 17, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I like having the comments open just to say hi and also to read what others think.
I’m always so amazed that you take the time to respond to your readers. While it’s such a wonderful thing, I could only imagine how much time it takes. So definitely don’t feel pressured to respond to comments ;) Whatever is best for you, is best for us!

AJ Glidden February 17, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Just forgot to say that your blog is always the last thing I read on the internet…with all the news that I read, it’s wonderful to have something so positive out there!

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel February 17, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I know I don’t comment often, but I think I would echo some other folks that it’s a nice option to have, and as much as I’m amazed that you seem to respond to almost every single one, it not at all something that I expect. I guess it’s a nice opportunity for short “conversations,” if they present themselves, so long as it doesn’t turn into an obligation :)

Larissa February 17, 2011 at 8:01 pm

i usually dont comment unless its a giveaway or something is just jumping out to me, but with most blogs i read, i dont usually read alll the other comments just a skim through and i kind of assume the person who write the blogs reads through the comments weather they respond or not :)

Allison February 17, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Heather – I understand that you’re probably overwhelmed these days and don’t have time to read through/respond to everyone, but I vote for leaving the comments open. I guess I think of blogs as being interactive and if the comments are closed then there can’t be any of that either with you or other readers. Glad you’re enjoying your baby!

Allison February 17, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Oh, I also wanted to lend you some pumping support. With my first child, I worked full-time at a job that required a lot of travel. I was determined to breasfeed her and pumped EIGHT times a day, every single day, for over 15 months. It was exhausting. By the next baby I was a stay at home mom – feeding directly from the source was a lot easier:) Hang in there!

HEAB February 17, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Allison,
15 months?!? Wow, that is inspiring. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

alli February 17, 2011 at 8:23 pm

i’ll be a daily reader with or without the comments :) but i do like reading what others have to say.

i enjoyed this post a lot. my little guy is 4.5 months old and i liked reading your morning schedule with summer. i’m amazed at how well she sleeps at night! kudos to you for keeping up with the pumping- your determination is inspiring!

Nessy February 17, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I completely understand if you don’t respond to most comments because you are very busy being a wonderful mother to Summer :-) However, I do think it’s a nice option to be able to write comments and it is also interesting to read what others write.

Allie February 17, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Aww, Summer is adorable!! My sister-in-law gave birth to my nephew this past Saturday … babies are so precious. *sigh* Okay, I’m deviating, yes I certainly miss the comments. I know I can’t speak for everyone but surely we understand you are busy and don’t feel any questions posed need immediate answers, you get to them when you can, and if they are on the comment section and can be answered by other people that might help …

You are such a sweet person and surely a wonderful mother, do whatever feels right to you Heather.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 17, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I MISSED the comments section like cray! It helps me feel more connected to the blogger, whether you comment back or not. Glad you’re having a good time with Summer.

Natalie February 17, 2011 at 8:39 pm

It definitely gets easier. You are working hard. Keep up the good work.

Christin@purplebirdblog February 17, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I am SO happy to have these turned back on! Every time I’d read a post I’d get all excited to say something only to get down to the bottom and remember that they were closed! I didn’t want to bug you about it though ;)

And THANK YOU for video of sweet Summer… that made me smile SO big! :D

Missy February 17, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I already rarely comment cause I know you are busy! But had to add my two cents…Just knowing you are reading the comments and receiving the love is enough! Just do you!

Alyssa February 17, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I vote for leaving with comments open with the caveat that we may never hear from you, and that s OK!!!!!!! Being a new mom is the best, but it’s also completely overwhelming.

And OMG, Summer reminds me SO MUCH of my daughter when she was a baby! The cap of dark hair, the big brown eyes…so cute!!!!!! (Especially when she grabs her elephant!)

Alyssa February 17, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Um, pig. Not elephant. Apparently I still don’t know my animals.

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 17, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Oh my goodness, that video! Summer is too adorable! And those eyes! :D

Dorry February 17, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I think you should keep the comments on, but don’t worry about responding to all of them (or any of them some days!)

Summer is so precious – thanks for sharing her with us!

Tracy @ Commit To Fit February 17, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I agree with Dorry. Everyone understands if you can’t respond, we like to comment and I am sure you like to read them :)

s February 17, 2011 at 9:27 pm

yay, the comments are back. i like reading them. just dropping by to say that i tried your almond butter, banana, and avocado wrap thing and it is yummy.

HEAB February 17, 2011 at 11:14 pm

S,
So glad you tried it. That wrap actually frightened some people when I first posted it. I’m not kidding.

s February 17, 2011 at 9:28 pm

oh yeah, and i agree with others that you shouldn’t worry about responding to the comments.

nadia February 17, 2011 at 9:31 pm

hey Heather.
THAT IS ONE CUTE LITTLE BABY!!!! AWW!! :) :) thank you for that video!
Adorable.
I think you should leave comments on and reply only when you can- I also think you have a full time job being a mother and appreciate that you take time to always make such good posts despite that…
Love + hugs
p.s. such a pretty table cloth – I have been meaning to tell you xo

HEAB February 17, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Thanks Nadia, and the table cloth is nothing but a Target placemat. Just got it a few weeks ago, and so they probably still have them. :)

Annie February 17, 2011 at 9:36 pm

On on on. I just think, if you can, don’t feel like you need to answer or comment on people’s comments… I know I don’t have the expectation of you… I want you and Summer to have all the time in the world together – THAT’S what’s important.. so keep them but change your expectations of yourself….

Summer is a doll… love her eyebrows! such expressive eyes… and cute piggy!
Annie

sarah February 17, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Love the comments–would selfishly love if you kept them, even if just for your followers to read. Not sure if they would leave you tempted to sit and read too though, and miss out on baby time. Do what feels right for you, we’ll keep following whatever the decision!
Like the idea from others of just opening it up a couple times a week–something for readers to look forward to???

Emily February 17, 2011 at 9:52 pm

oh heather,
you don’t HAVE to write back t everyone, u;know:) i always thought you were madly sweet, but really, it takes too much time to write back to each and everyone personally.
but leave it on. i miss your posts :)

Tara February 17, 2011 at 10:00 pm

You are blessed with a BEAUTIFUL child. She’s absolutely adorable.

I like having the comments open so that I can share things with you, I really don’t mind if you don’t respond. I just hope I made a positive impact on your day, no matter how small, with my comment, as I would with anything I would say in person!

Amy February 17, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Summer is so cute! She was definitely trying to say something to us, I think ;)

I totally understand why you closed the comments section…but I think receiving comments is one of the most fun parts of having a blog (as you’ve said). Your loyal readers leave the comments for YOU because they want to tell you how cute your baby is or how yummy your new recipe looks, not because they expect to hear something back from you. So as long as YOU can be ok with not feeling guilty about not being able to always respond, then you should keep the comments section on. I think it’ll give you a little something fun to read when Summer’s napping, etc, and you won’t have to go cold turkey from the way you were doing the comments section before. Enjoy mommy time!

nicole February 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I vote open!!! I find the comments helpful at times.

robyn jones clark February 17, 2011 at 10:21 pm

i like the comments open, but please don’t feel like you have to respond! i can’t imagine how much time it would take to do that! love hearing about all your momma firsts. i can’t wait to have a child. :) i’m taking notes!

Cat @ WellSavannah February 17, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I loved this…I totally remember those days. Enjoy them they pass in a blink. Comments on…I love your words of wisdom. Of course, family & especially Summer comes first. If you have time comment, if not, everyone will understand. You have a major cute distraction there. I adore the video. Cuteness overload.

Gina February 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Dont’ worry for a second about not responding to comments. Do you think The Pioneer Woman responds to all the comments on her blog? No way Jose! So no stress allowed about it, okay?

Summer is just too precious in that video. I can’t believe it was 8 years ago that my baby girl was that age – it seems like yesterday. Man the time really flies!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 17, 2011 at 10:48 pm

So happy that you have comments back on!! :) I’m hugely in favor of them. I made the mistake of having comments off the first 2 YEARS that I had a blog, I didn’t think that I needed them, but I realized that people really like the convenience and involvement. Keeping them closed alienates the reader a bit; blog readers like the option of being a participant even if they never leave a comment, lol. I find that my blog gets like .0000001% of my readers leaving a comment! :(

Also, I don’t think you necessarily have to reply to every comment or even most of them as many are just comments and not questions. So that should save a lot of time. :)

Summer is ADORABLE! OMG, too cute :) Thanks for sharing the video!

Namaste Gurl February 17, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I say go on with the comments- you don’t have to answer and reply! It’s your blog, and typical of most people to have busy and crazy lives. Our lives can’t revolve around blogging; other important things come up, too, like babies, health, school, traveling, etc. Do whatever is best for you, though. I sure don’t mind if you don’t reply- i just like to tweet in and say how I love all your amazing creations :)

By the way, Summer is a DOLL and beyond precious!

Kiran February 17, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I can understand your point of view and I am sure everyone wants you to be a mom first, wife and then a blogger :) so don’t worry much about replying comments, I must admit I love reading peoples response throughout the comment session.

Mama Pea February 18, 2011 at 12:34 am

First, gotta say, my ovaries are aching after watching that video. She is so absolutely precious.

Second, I kind of know what you are going through right now. I think I was on a blogging roller coaster the whole first year I was blogging (because I already had a baby). You have to do what’s right for you and what YOU can live with. No one else. YOU. Regardless of if you turn comments on or off, please know that you are a wonderful mother (in part because you are a whole person–with a blog, blog friendships and this “job,” if you will). What you decide isn’t going to change that one way or another. Sacrificing something that you love isn’t going to mean you are a better mom, but making yourself participate in something that makes you feel bad isn’t right either.

Love you girl. You ‘ll do the right thing…because it you will be you doing it!

Sara B February 18, 2011 at 12:56 am

Wow, I am so impressed with how long your baby sleeps at night!

I also eat oatmeal to help my supply and I almost never eat it in the morning – usually in the afternoon or evening with a little bit of chocolate added. It is a much more satisfying “dessert” than ice cream or cookies.

Meagan February 18, 2011 at 12:59 am

She really is super cute :) I will miss your feedback overall, but I think you should keep the comments open!

Sophie February 18, 2011 at 3:12 am

I agree. I love a good blog with comments section too! Certainly yours!

What a hectic schedule for you!! I admire all mothers! Your breakfast looks lovely & tasty & your daughter looks cute too!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 18, 2011 at 6:12 am

Aweee I cannot wait to be a mom! Sounds like the most crazy but happy morning ever:)

Slash YES comments on! I love reading other blogger’s comments and getting fun ideas..sometimes they think of the best spins on recipes and oat combos!

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) February 18, 2011 at 7:12 am

I like them open (I guess it feels more “connected”), but like I said before, I completely understand them being closed! :)

I need to look for Brewer’s Yeast!! It looks so tasty!

And, I know I say this every time, but Summer is just SO cute! :)

katie February 18, 2011 at 7:51 am

Heather!!!

Summer is getting so big!! She is beautiful as ever : ) So sweet!

Do what is good for you in regards to the comments, you know we all love you! Life is different now for you, in a great way!

Being a mom is the best, hardest, and most rewarding job : )

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) February 18, 2011 at 7:52 am

So glad comments are back :)

I loved hearing about your mornings with Summer! It is definitely a full time job, huh? But so, so rewarding! Sounds like you have a great handle on things :D

xo

McIntosh February 18, 2011 at 8:01 am

Absolutely leave the comments open! I don’t always read them all but I like to scan through them. It’s also been a great way to take a peek at other blogs!

I really enjoy your posts and look forward to them so no worries if you can’t “comment” on comments…obviously, you’ve got your hands full!

McIntosh February 18, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Oh and one more thing re: comments…there WILL be a point when things slow down and you may want to re-read your posts/comments.

I’m not a blogger or a mom but I have heard that mom’s start to crave ‘adult’ conversation plus it might be nice to look over your blog in a year or so to see what others were thinking and to read the gushing compliments and hints for you and Summer! Perfect archive of memories (:

Keep ‘em and reply if/when you want…no pressure!

Sarah@NaturalDiabetic February 18, 2011 at 9:27 am

I am always surprised when bloggers respond to almost all of their comments. My feeling is – it a “comment”, not a question that requires a response.
And, it is your blog that you can run the way you want… respond if you have time, if you don’t have time, don’t respond! Your readers will still love your blog!
PS Your daughter is adorable!

brandi@BranAppetit February 18, 2011 at 9:36 am

I missed the comments, too! I don’t get to comment every day, but I went to leave you one the other day and forgot it was closed! :)

I love your morning routine – sounds just about perfect with that little cutie.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 18, 2011 at 9:40 am

I love when the comments are open :) and what a cutie in that video! you are are busy momma please don’t feel guilty at alll about commenting back- we love you and understand completely!

Lauren February 18, 2011 at 9:41 am

Another vote for leaving comments open! It’s fun to read what others say. We totally understand that you can’t respond to every question.

Kari Crosby February 18, 2011 at 9:43 am

I like reading everyone’s comments, and I never expect a reply. I think you’re the only blog I read that responded to every post I put up. I honestly did not know how you did it. Wren-babe is 1 (just turned 1 this past Tuesday!), and I literally have 3 hours a day between when I pick her up after work and when she goes to bed. I couldn’t fathom how you were fitting in all you do with the blog, emails, etc AND taking care of Summer and yourself.

Whatever you decide to do I will completely support you You’re an amazing inspiration!

Oh, and THANK YOU for revealing the wonders of mustard on stir-fry to me. I have brussel sprouts, spinach, and various other veggies stir-fried and ‘mustarded’ several times a week!

Courtney February 18, 2011 at 9:49 am

I vote for comments open! Even if you can’t respond as much as you’d like, people often have interesting things to add to your posts.

Also, I wanted to add that I had major supply issues when I was breastfeeding my son, and nothing seemed to help increase it. In order to be able to continue to provide him with breast milk, I pumped anywhere from 4-7 times a day from the time he was 3 months old until he was a year, at which point I was starting to go bonkers and just had to stop. Anyway, I just wanted to you know that you are doing a great job with Summer and your dedication is admirable!

Alexx February 18, 2011 at 9:52 am

Heather, how lovely Summer is, she is SO cute!!! I think everyone understands how much your life has changed and how Summer is your priority. Still, I love the comments, reading them finding ideas, tips, experiences and funny stuff. Sometimes I even post a comment. Love your blog and your oatmeal ideas!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods February 18, 2011 at 9:54 am

Love the video! I like the comments on, but I think it’s totally fine to turn them off when you need a break. Maybe you could do comments every other day or only on designated days? Whatever you need for peace of mind…we understand!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog February 18, 2011 at 11:46 am

Oof. Still pumping? Poor you in terms of the time commitment!

I was sad to see comments closed, too. You don’t *have* to answer them, but to be unable to have give-and-take with the beloved HEAB was just sad. :)

I’ll still read you whatever your choice!

Anita Ruiz February 18, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I vote to keep the comments. I love reading what others have to say and I have found some great blogs by reading the comments. Plus it may be nice for you as a new mom to know that you have so many out there that love and support you.

It is strange to think that so many of us are connected even though most of us have never met each other. But since I started reading blogs it is so comforting to hear stories and stuggles of others. For example, we have never meet but I had such a blast reading post as you were going through your pregnancy and now pictures of Summer brings a smile to my face. Allowing others to comments brings this community only closer together.

Your avid followers understand if you can’t anwer them but I belive they may become disconnected if they can’t comment on a post or a cute picture of Summer. However, either way you choose I will continue to look forward to your post.

Claire February 18, 2011 at 12:52 pm

As a newbie mama of a one week old ~ I say leave the comments open heather. You seem to really enjoy them as a part of your blog, and your readers understand that you can’t respond to as much as before Summer’s arrival. I love readying your blog and like that chance to interact with your posts!

Heather February 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Hey Heather! Summer is so adorable, I love the video! :)

I also say leave the comments open, I love reading through them and seeing different opinions, ideas, and feedback relating to the posts.

I am also breastfeeding my little girl and was so happy when she started sleeping through the night at 2 months, however I started to notice that it was really affecting my supply. After speaking with my lactation consultant she said that not doing night feedings will drastically decrease my supply because the majority of your milk is made between 1-5am, and if you are not doing night time feedings your body will stop making as much during that time which will affect your supply the rest of the day. I know you were having supply issues, so maybe if you try waking Summer a few times during the night it will help increase your production? I know it sucks, just when we were enjoying real rest again… but it really worked for me, so just passing on some advice :)

Also jealous that Summer is still napping during the day! I’ve tried everything to get Elly to nap and she just refuses.

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) February 18, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I’m definitely glad they’re back. I can totally appreciate and understand that it’s difficult to keep up with them, but sometimes it even brings us commenters together if we see something that someone else said that catches our attention. Sometimes conversations hatch on the comments page and even I appreciate those! :) I’ve learned quite a few things just seeing people answer other people’s questions (that happened to be my own questions too!)

All the best to you and your wonderful family.

Tracy February 18, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Your morning routine sounds all too familiar, although it’s been about 11 years!! I have the best job ever as well. My job description is a bit different than yours though as I have 2 teens and 2 preteens.

I miss your comment section VERY much! It feels like a one-way conversation and I miss the interaction, but definitely understand your need to spend time with Summer. Do what’s best for you and your family, Heather!!

Syndie February 18, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Hey Heather, TGIF!! I support you no matter what you decide. Maybe open comments half the week. It is totally up to you. I enjoy reading you everyday no matter what you decide. Have a fabulous weekend!!

Emily February 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Missed chatting with you Heather!! I know that you are super busy and you don’t have to feel one bit obligated to reply, just knowing you and Summer get my messages is enough :)

Kathleen February 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I like having the comments on–especially when people can congratulate you on an awesome recipe or send comments about beautiful Summer :-) I think we all understand if you can’t reply, since you’re too busy spending quality time with your little cutie pie :-)

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse February 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I like the comments; reading through other people’s and leaving my twopenceworth!
That said, it would be horrible if writing the blog became a chore for you in any way so if you ever felt like that it would be much better not to have them than not to have the blog!
Love the video :-)

Mag the Brazil Nut Pusher February 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I vote you keep them open. I discovered this blog because of my love of almond butter and have now learned about oat bran and all the wonderful things that can be done with coconut. I’ve found support and connectedness through the blog and comments where in real life my friends and family do not have healthy habits. Its hard sometimes. However I was so excited about the oatbran I bagged up a cup with cooking instructions for the girls at work and passed them out. They think I’m nuts. I’m new to blogs and have been reading this one for about a month. Its so awesome. I am so grateful to have learned of this blog. No response ever expected. HEAB rules!

Abbey February 18, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Oh dear lord…please post more video’s when you can! Excuse me while I go pick my heart up off the floor. She is SO amazing.

Lee February 18, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I like the ability to leave a comment if I feel like I have something good to say! I think you should just not worry about responding to all of them and leave them on.

Pure2raw twins February 18, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Sorry for the late comment, but I am glad to see comments are back, but I totally understand if you need to take breaks from them :)

Maya February 19, 2011 at 9:35 am

SUCH AN ADORABLE VIDEO. GOODNESS.

Monica February 19, 2011 at 9:55 am

What a fun post! I cannot wait to be a Mom and this post just makes me so excited for all that is to come with stage in life. :)

Leah Anderson February 19, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Hi Heather. Summer is so adorable! Thanks for the updates!
I will read your blog with or without the comments – but I did miss them! I have learned a great deal from you during my weight loss journey – Thank you!
Your comment section is awesome, you have a great group of readers that offer lots of great advice in addition to your posts! I totally understand the time managment issue! I have a 6 year old & 3 year old & at times I spend way too much time on my computer – then I feel guilty Mommy guilt is never-ending! Hugz

charlotte February 21, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I think your new comment policy sounds wonderful! And very sane! Anything that gives you more time to play with your little sweetie! That video is adorbs!!

Dana @ Budget Dietitian February 22, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Hang in there momma. It gets easier!

I am trying to learn the balance with motherhood and blogging as well! :)

courtney February 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I love the comments so I can tell you how cute Summer is! Not that you don’t already know that… ;)

danielle February 25, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I’m a little late catching up on blogs (my first baby arrived on 2/16!!!) but was so happy to read this post, and happy to be able to comment and tell you you are awesome. being a mom IS the best job ever and as a brand new one I really appreciate insight into your day. We are navigating breastfeeding as well… slowly but surely, and I’m a long time from being able to leave the house on whim, but in the meantime totally loving every second. Thanks again for sharing!