Sesame Satisfaction

by HEAB on February 18, 2011

Remember when I celebrated my love of sesame seed paste with Tahini Week? For months, I had a serious obsession with the stuff. However, during my first trimester, I ate a tahini banana soft serve parfait and got so sick, that I could not even pass by it in the store without wanting to puke. Since then, I’ve eaten tahini mixed in recipes, but I’ve never really craved it like I used to…until now. Yep, tahini is back in my life.

For those of you who don’t know, tahini is simply ground up sesame seeds. It’s slightly bitter, and most people prefer mixing with something sweet like raw honey, but I love it all on its own. This morning, I ate it Cotter Crunch style: drizzled on a bowl full of rolled oats cooked in water and mixed with ghee, vanilla, cinnamon, and brewer’s yeast. (Lindsay, I forgot the turmeric and ginger. Next time for sure.)

Tahini was involved in my lunch as well…

The above was a recipe for dessert hummus from Lauren. Thanks Lauren! I enjoyed my hummus with some Food Should Taste Good sweet potato chips, and it was so good! This is Lauren’s recipe to share, not mine, and she hasn’t posted it yet. Just know that it involves black beans and tahini, and it’s really good! :)

Edited to Add: Lauren has posted the recipe here. For my version, I used an entire can of black beans and only 12 drops of NuNaturals vanilla stevia drops.

So, I’ve decided to leave the comments open. It was a no-brainer after yesterday’s post. Many thanks to all of you who continue to read my blog everyday. Please know that I’ll read and respond when I can, but this one is going to come first…

Thanks for understanding and for all your support and love. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm

OMG, that face!! Summer is a living doll!! :D

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun February 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Awwww, how could you say no to that face? Impossible. ;-)
Have fun with London!

Michelle February 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Yeah, just had to reiterate the cuteness of your daughter in the photo. Look at those eyelashes!!

marie February 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm

YAY!! So glad to hear that comments are back on!

And OF COURSE that adorable little one comes first!! I’m just grateful you still have time to blog, as I really, really enjoying reading about your various foodventures.

:-)

Alyssa February 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Also chiming in on the Summer lovin’. Such a doll!

Annette @ enjoyyourhealthylife February 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm

She is a complete gem! Wow, you have a cutie on your hands!! P.s. I love tahini as well….give me some hummus :)

Maren February 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I’m glad you have them open again!! Now I can comment everyday about how cute Summer is! :)

Katie February 18, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Seriously, if I had the option of playing with her or emailing, you know what I’d be doing.

Joyva tahini is hands down, the BEST tahini. I’ve tried them all. I love the bitterness. I eat more tahini than nut butter these days (as in no nut butter at all) and I eat it straight up with a spoon, like I used to with nut butters. I love it like candy. Which I also still eat.

Okay, one more thing and then I’ll shut up. I made a black bean dessert hummus too! I swear there are too many bloggers and they are all IN MY HEAD!!! I used beans, cocoa powder, tahini, and spinach, and stevia. https://makingfoodandotherstuff.wordpress.com/2011/02/14/loving-you/

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 18, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Ok, I love the barrette! I know I should be focused on the food, but her face is just too darn cute!

Tangy February 18, 2011 at 5:03 pm

As a busy mom of 2, I can understand not having the time! I haven’t had a chance to glance at your page for a while, but wow Summer is getting so big!! I really enjoyed staying home with mine when they were that little and I’m glad to say I have no regrets about the time I spent with them :) .

kate@ahealthypassion February 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I would definitely put her first, how could you possibly say no to her cute little face!

Sarah R February 18, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Summer’s expression it too too cute in that picture :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 18, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Oh, that face! Too cute.

I love tahini, too. No sweeteners needed.

Lauren (PB&G) February 18, 2011 at 5:13 pm

What an adorable expression! She was excited about the tahini post, too! =)

Anne February 18, 2011 at 5:41 pm

i’m so happy you decided to leave the comments open :D
and Summer is SO cute. i’m obsessed! hahah
how could she NOT come first? all i hope for is that you keep us updated with everything, replies aren’t necessary ;)

Kiran February 18, 2011 at 5:46 pm

OMG! Summer is super adorable. And don’t worry about comment reply – priorities are priorities :) *hugs

lindsay February 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I love the ghee addition. So creamy! Nicely done HEAB! And I just love the summer pictures. Can she stay this age forever please? Stinkin cutie!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 18, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Yay the comments are open :)

Have you ever tried making a tahini nut butter? This is on my must try list!

HEAB February 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Matt,
No, I haven’t, but I’ve always wanted to. Please let me know how it turns out if you try it.

Samantha February 18, 2011 at 5:59 pm

There are so many eats you’ve posted lately I want to try! I love the Food Should Taste Good chocolate tortilla chips but only get them on rare occasion. ($$$ and too easy to eat the whole bag at once!)

Summer is changing so much as she grows!

Barb February 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I’m on the “clean eating” wagon late in life. I’m 47 and have radically changed my eating focus. I’ve lost 60 pounds so far, with quite a few more to go. Your blog has been such a treat for me. To glean information and food ideas has been wonderful! Thanks for posting such a great blog.

HEAB February 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Barb, thanks so much for reading and congrats on your weight loss, That is awesome!

Maryann (The Balanced Bean) February 18, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Oh my…cutest pic EVER!! I need to try tahini, I love sesame seeds so I bet I would love it!

chocolate-covered katie February 18, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Yay tahini is back in your life! So can I now make you some of my special tahini fudge babies? lol I don’t know if you remember them… I tried to make them once, in your honor, but they turned out looking like meatballs. And they tasted even worse! :(
Definitely NOT something worthy of Heather!

HEAB February 18, 2011 at 8:29 pm

CCK, Haha, yes, I totally remember the meatball fudge babies! :)

Sarah February 18, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Heather,

I eat tahini by the spoonful and have since I was a child, thanks to my mom who attributed her surviving pregnancy to it. I absolutely love your blog. I’ve JUST begun to blog. Thanks for the inspiration you provide.

Happy tahini-ing.
Sarah

Hannah February 18, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I adore tahini, though have been cheating on it recently with sunflower seed butter. Heather, have you tried halvah? It might be a little sweet for your tastes, but I love a little bit crumbled over oatbran. To die for :)

HEAB February 18, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Hannah, No, I’ve never tried halvah…at least I don’t think I have. Perhaps I could try making a HEABiied version. :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free February 18, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Yay! it is so great to comment again! And that has to be the cutest picture of Summer I’ve seen yet-love that face :D

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 18, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I am NOT a big fan of tahini, unless it is in a tahini dressing or in my hummus:)

Slash Summer is the cutest thing in the world, of course you would want to dedicate your time to her!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 18, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Glad you’re leaving comments open and feel no pressure to respond. GOOD!!!

Summer is adorable. And growing like a weed! And that expression is just too cute on her little face!

Tahini..ok so it’s fine to me but I don’t love it as much as most people seem to. I dont know..It has such a strong flavor and it’s just sesame seeds, but I prefer sunflower seeds. And sunflower seed butter. Now THAT stuff i could NEVER tire of :)

Have a wonderful weekend, Heather!

Kellie February 18, 2011 at 7:19 pm

that is the sweetest face ever! and check out those eyelashes. you are so blessed.

Rachel @ Healthy Teacher February 18, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Dessert hummus. I want to eat it.

Amelia February 18, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I am embarrassed to admit that I like Tahini so much that I could easily eat a spoonful….not that I have…just sayin’. I never thought to enjoy it with oats. I think I may try that.

I have been so used to oat bran (I’m currently out) that I took your advice from the other day and pulverized my rolled oats then cooked them. SO CREAMY! They definitely don’t replace oat bran, but certainly are delicious. I have also mixed my pulverized oats with leftover cooked brown rice (from dinner) then cooked in water with lots of butter and it was amazing. The brown rice made it 10X creamier than normal.

HEAB February 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Amelia, I’ll have to try the brown rice trick. Sounds heavenly, and there is no shame in eating tahini by the spoonful. ;)

Baking 'n' Books February 18, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I remember you used to eat tahini more!

I’ve only ever had it in hummus (I think?). But looks good to try for a topping.

And – with a face like that – you have got your PRIORITIES STRAIGHT!

Christin@purplebirdblog February 18, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I definitely prefer to take a little of the edge off the tahini with some raw honey, but I love that combo a lot!

Summer’s many expressions just make my heart burst with joy… such a precious little lovebug!

Erin February 18, 2011 at 8:07 pm

LOL so cute! My sister in law is giving birth as we speak….wanted to go natural, but it has not gone as planned… Been over 31 hrs of labor….and now on pitocin in a hospital. :( All we hope is for a healthy baby boy, he’s a trooper and staying strong through all this. So glad your little one is thriving!!! I love your blog…have read it for a couple years now…and thank you for all your yummy recipes, and an inside look at a part of your life. I know it helps a lot of people with everything you talk about. Thank you. Erin

HEAB February 18, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Erin,
Hope your nephew arrives soon! Pitocin is no fun. Your sis-in-law is a strong woman – tell her to hang in there.

Thanks so much for reading my blog. :)

Annie February 18, 2011 at 8:08 pm

oh my gosh! CUTEST BABY EVAH!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I’ve always been sort of interested in trying Tahini but was turned off by the fact it could taste a bit bitter. I oughta give it a turn, though.

Melissa @ TryingToHeal February 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm

psh, i’d take that face over us commenters any day!! hehe!

Kimberly February 18, 2011 at 8:35 pm

OMG!! That is the most adorable picture EVER (of Summer :) )!!! She is growing so fast!

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo February 18, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Yay for the comments!

I recently sucked it up and bought a jar of tahini…now I’m going wild looking for recipes (besides making hummus, of course). The mix of sweet and tahini is really intriguing; I can’t wait to experiment!

Pure2raw twins February 18, 2011 at 11:00 pm

She is soooo cute!!!

And we love our tahini! Actually getting ready to do some diet changes, so increasing our fat intake some more :) YAY!! haha

Heather J February 18, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I had some oat bran with tahini and pomegranate hot pepper jelly today… SO good.

Heather February 18, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Yay for open commenting! Love love LOVE that pic of Summer! Can’t get over her cute little face!

Emily February 18, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Just bought my first jar of Tahini, so I will be following along with excitement to see all of your recipes! Oh, and your daughter is beautiful :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 19, 2011 at 12:04 am

I’m with ya on theTahini! It is so good! :) Reminds me of my childhood. :)

Bridget February 19, 2011 at 12:43 am

Ever since I started reading your blog, I’ve been so inspired by all your creative food pairings and recipes. I would have never thought of oats and tahini had I not read this post. I love the idea!!!

I can’t believe how fast Summer is growing! She is so precious :)

Meagan February 19, 2011 at 1:28 am

Tahini and raw honey actually sounds really good – I never thought about putting that together! I am going to try this…

Runeatrepeat February 19, 2011 at 1:37 am

Summer is too cute! I love the pics of her. All of them :)

ered February 19, 2011 at 3:07 am

Well i just want to say I’m glad the comments are on so I can say this: WHAT A CUTIE!!!
I seriously almost fell over with delight at that little face!

Amanda February 19, 2011 at 8:25 am

Tahini+ balsamic (preferably reduced) + dijon + splash almond milk= the most amazing salad dressing… it’s saltly, sweet, and thick. I’ve had it everyday for about 2 weeks now!

Corey @ the runners cookie February 19, 2011 at 9:05 am

Glad you decided to leave the comments open but not feel like you need to respond. Of course Summer comes first, and we all understand :)
It seems like she is growing so fast, every picture you post makes her look even bigger!!

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 19, 2011 at 9:12 am

I’m glad you turned the comments on but I think all of your readers will understand if you can’t respond. I love your blog!

Cynthia (It All Changes) February 19, 2011 at 9:34 am

With a face like that we can understand why she will be the first priority.

I love your tahini love being back. I am making Hummus this week and I need to know what to do with the rest.

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) February 19, 2011 at 10:05 am

I love tahini! I need to try it on oats!!!

Summer’s little face is completely irresistible! :)

Amber from Berlinswhimsy February 19, 2011 at 10:14 am

So glad your comments are on! It’s a joy to leave you a comment and read others, as well.

Glad you’re able to enjoy tahini again! I haven’t tried the brand pictured, though I’ve seen it at the store. Have you made your own with the Vitamix or food processor? One time I made some with mortar & pestle—what a work-out!! :-)

Summer is such a cutie!!! Those eyebrows!

HEAB February 19, 2011 at 11:52 am

Amber,
No, I never have, but I’ve always wanted to try making my own tahini. That being said, the Joyva brand is really good. Love that stuff!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life February 19, 2011 at 10:18 am

just when i think she can’t get any cuter….she does!!

alli February 19, 2011 at 11:00 am

oh that face! she’s a doll!

i’ve had a jar of tahini in my pantry for months, i think i’ll break it open today-i’ve never had it before! todays will be a heab day at my house because i’m also making maple nut oaties for a little reunion we are going to with all of the other parents from our bradley childbirth class- meeting all the babies today :)

HEAB February 19, 2011 at 11:51 am

Alli, that is so fun – enjoy all that baby time…as well as your tahini. :)

Christine (The Raw Project) February 19, 2011 at 11:42 am

I love tahini and could eat it right out of the jar. Is that weird? :-) I want to try a dessert hummus recipe and those sweet potato chips look like they’d be perfect with it. Summer is adorable!

HEAB February 19, 2011 at 11:48 am

Christine,
Nope, not weird. I like my tahini straight up too. :)

Katherine: Unemployed February 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm

so jealous… I’ve been waiting for tahini to appear in my pantry. also for me to learn how to spell ever

Namaste Gurl February 19, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I love me some tahini- I call it a gift from the goddesses’ :-)
Never tried in sweet- type recipes, like atop oatmeal. It’s bitter on it’s own, so I always mix it with other things, to bring out the flavor.

steviejean February 19, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Love your site… i esp loved your Operation Oats.. i tried to comment on it but its blocked!!! Never knew that about oatmeal but def a great thing to know!!! I added that post to my weekly link recap bc I loved it so much!!!!
Thanks from a blog fan!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 19, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Your daughter is too lovely to be true! :D

I like tahini very much! When I was a child, my mom made me a soup once that tastes incredibly well, and recently I asked her what she did with it, and she said she had put tahini into it. (She still knew!)

I then went and bought a jar of tahini. It’s awesome with squash puree, or on roasted vegetables.

Ana February 19, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I like you have the comments open again, I always like saying hi to you Heather!
It looks like Summer is ready to talk!! I love seeing her pictures, she is the cutest!
Did you get any Lime chips on your food should taste good loot? They are the best chips, with guacamole they are amazing!!

HEAB February 19, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Ana,
No, but I can’t complain. I got chocolate, sweet potato, olive, jalapeno, and multigrain. I’m a happy girl. :)

carolinebee February 19, 2011 at 7:00 pm

AHHHH yay yay yayyy I am soo happy!!! You are such an amazing person and mama and friend and I know you lovveee responding individually to every comment, and we love commenting even with no response!! :D You and sum need all the time in the world to catch up, discuss world events and just be together, THAT FACE…agghhh i die!!! :D

Annie D @ Annie's Simple LIfe February 19, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I LOVE YOUR BABE!!! She is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!

Sophie February 20, 2011 at 4:41 pm

We are all so glad that you are keeping the comments section open,..yeehee!

Your daughter is looking so cute!

Meg Smith @ Cooking.In.College February 20, 2011 at 4:50 pm

That food all looks wonderful and that is one adorable baby!

Joy February 21, 2011 at 5:47 am

1- I think that is the cutest summer pic to date omg <3
2- tahini scares me I even make my hummus without it

PeonyJen February 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I have that same brand of tahini in my fridge right now. I put it on everything!

{ 2 trackbacks }