Snacking Machine

by HEAB on February 19, 2011

Usually, I’m a 3 meal-a-day kind of girl, but today I grazed.

Some of my snacks…

I received samples of Love Grown Foods Granola last week, and this morning I tried the Apple Walnut Delight with HEABified coconut milk. Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever tried a granola I didn’t like, but some are definitely better than others. I have to say that the Love Grown Foods brand is some of the best I’ve had. It’s big on the chunkage factor…I like to actually taste the individual ingredients and don’t like when everything is chopped into tiny pieces. The Apple Walnut Delight is chock-full of big crunchy walnuts and large pieces of dried apples. Loved it! Plus, the company uses certified gluten free oats which I know is important to a lot of you.

After a 3 mile walk with Summer, there were more avocado carob blobs

IMG_7358.JPG IMG_7359.JPG

I promise that is carob powder, not dirt, under my fingernail…I think. ;)

CD was craving cheesecake last week and bought some cream cheese to make himself one…from Costco, and so we now have 5 blocks of cream cheese sitting in our fridge. Therefore, I made cheesecake granola bites.

Simply combine 1 block softened cream cheese in the food processor with 1 tsp vanilla and a packet of stevia. Spoon out balls and roll in granola of choice. I used Love Grown Foods Cocoa Goodness (hello delicious!). Then refrigerate. That’s it. Make ‘em – trust me, they will not disappoint.

There was of course oat bran…

Oat bran cooked in water with Kerrygold Butter (It’s back at Costco. Stock up as they only carry it around St. Patrick’s Day.), brewer’s yeast, turmeric, ginger, tahini, and cinnamon. Lindsay, I remembered. ;)

Let’s see, I did get some protein in there somewhere…

We had my brothers and my brother’s friend, Zeita, over for dinner. CD made his chicken lentil stew, I made Polly’s cornbread, and Zeita provided the amazing salad.

Such a fun day, and my belly is full of so many good things. Night sweet friends. :)

Carla @ Will Run for Health February 19, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I totally agree that chunkage is an important quality in good oatmeal! That stuff looks amazing!

Carla @ Will Run for Health February 19, 2011 at 10:52 pm

*I meant to say granola…not oatmeal. Clearly, it’s bedtime for me.

Maryann (The Balanced Bean) February 19, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Cheesecake granola bites sound awesome!! Oh I wish I had a costco card…I miss that place!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 19, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Ohhh my goodness, I was a snacking muhsheen too! Not going to lie though it’s more fun to be eating all the time:)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 19, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Oh the cheesecake granola bites just look heavenly!!! I have made Oreo Balls with ground oreos + cream cheese. Your bites are way healthier and look awesome! I think I need to get on that, stat.

Summer is look so cute (and so are you) in her carrier! I remember those days…seems like a lifetime ago and a blink of an eye ago…strange, the passage of time and kids growing up.

So glad you had a great day!
xoxo

Dorry February 19, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Love Grown Foods is coming to Dallas next weekend and invited me to a breakfast! This makes me even more excited to try their granola. :)

Rachel February 19, 2011 at 11:55 pm

That cheesecake granola bite just made me salivate.

Christin@purplebirdblog February 19, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I am so in love with Polly’s cornbread. :) And your cream cheese bites of awesome sound amazing… might have to pick up some Tofutti for the occasion… :)

Namaste Gurl February 20, 2011 at 12:39 am

You make me want to try brewer’s yeast! I’m definitely a big fan and user of nooch, but never tried or used brewer’s yeast. It’s not vegan, is it? Doesn’t it contain honey, and whey? Is it slightly sweet? I’ll have to give it a shot.

On another note, I tried oatmeal with butter, instead of just nut butter and banana, and it was most excellent! I’m not sure why people are scared of using butter in oatmeal….

HEAB February 20, 2011 at 7:39 am

Emilia,
So glad you enjoyed some butter with your oatmeal. I can’t get enough of that combo these days. As far as I know brewer’s yeast is vegan, and I love it. Here is the kind I use: http://www.iherb.com/Lewis-Labs-International-Brewer-s-Yeast-16-oz-454-g/6071?at=0.

No honey or whey. It’s just inactive yeast with lots of good nutrients.

Nicole @ Of Cookies and Carrots February 20, 2011 at 12:48 am

hahaha… I am ALWAYS a snacking machine. i think i ate my weight in fruit today… oops?

Katie February 20, 2011 at 12:54 am

I got samples from Love Grown Foods last week too. I *might* have torn into the Cocoa Goodness first and mined all the big chunks of granola and all the chocolate chips. And then repackaged the rest to send to a friend. I’m selfless like that. :D

HEAB February 20, 2011 at 7:37 am

Katie,
Haha – no you didn’t. That is hilarious. Won’t your friend wonder where the chocolate chips went? Of course, I guess she won’t have the bag with the ingredients listed. Too funny. I LOVE that granola!

Heather February 20, 2011 at 1:41 am

Sounds like you had a great day! Those cheesecake granola bites look amazing!!

Ashley February 20, 2011 at 2:11 am

Ohhh my gosh. I haven’t created any recipes with the LGF granola yet. I’m always just shoveling it in my mouth! Those cocoa balls sound outstanding. So glad you like the granola. I’m hooked! Even the “simply oats’ are completely delicious!

Karen February 20, 2011 at 5:16 am

Mmmm… Kerrygold! Only butter to buy!
Just had 2 slices of freshly baked soda bread slathered in the stuff for breakfast! (I’m in Ireland!)

HEAB February 20, 2011 at 7:35 am

Karen,
Agreed. Kerrygold is AMAZING! If I was in Ireland, I think I might bathe in it. ;)

Little Bookworm February 20, 2011 at 5:45 am

Love the sound of those avocado carob blobs! I’d never think to put turmeric in oat bran!

lindsay February 20, 2011 at 7:24 am

Oh yes, you remembered! And it looks fabulous. I’m thinking the Kerri Gold was a nice touch as well. I wish KerryGold made cream cheese too. I think I’d be in heaven.
CD and I are having the same crazing this week. Glad I’m not alone!
LC

Sarah (Flavoropolis) February 20, 2011 at 7:39 am

Sometimes you’ve gotta graze – you get to eat more types of things that way! Always a bonus.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 20, 2011 at 7:53 am

I love grazing days! The cheesecake balls sound so good! I love that you got a little exercise and cuddle time in at the same time. Glad you enjoyed the day!

Susan February 20, 2011 at 7:57 am

I totally understand why you closed comments for a while, but I’m so happy they are back open!

You are such a great hostess – cooking a “tablescaping” with Summer to take care of too! That dinner party looks like a lot of fun. But what isn’t 100x better with cornbread? Haha!

I just texted my mom to grab some Kerrygold next time she’s at Costco – thanks for the head’s up.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 20, 2011 at 8:09 am

I’m a big fan of “grazing days” – it’s weird though because when I have grazing days, I always psychologically feel as if I eat “more food”, but in reality, I always end up eating less. Interesting!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 20, 2011 at 8:23 am

Kerrygold is the only butter I buy ;)

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy February 20, 2011 at 8:59 am

Those cheesecake bites look amazing! My husband loves cheesecake, and I really think he’d enjoy those!

Christi February 20, 2011 at 9:59 am

Good lookin eats!
btw, what kind of carrier do you have Summer in? Thats not an Ergo, is it?

HEAB February 20, 2011 at 10:11 am

Christi,
It’s a Mei Tai carrier from http://www.babyhawk.com. Love it, but we just started using it regularly. Summer was so tiny in the beginning, but now she seems big enough to fill it. It’s great, but I want to get an Ergo for hiking!

Christi February 20, 2011 at 9:34 pm

thanks a bunch! i got the Ergo for hiking and walks on the beach as well :)

Amelia February 20, 2011 at 10:04 am

I just sat down right now to enjoy my morning oat concoction and read your blog. As soon as I scrolled to the pic of the oat bran with tahini, I jumped up and grabbed some to add to my bowl. Wow! I love the flavor combination. Never would have thought that they would pair so wonderfully together. I have a feeling this is going to become a regular thing.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 20, 2011 at 10:21 am

Cheesecake granola bites sound AMAZING!! I might need to dabble in that recipe. YUM! Actually everything in this post = YUM

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 20, 2011 at 10:31 am

The cheesecake granola bites look delicious and simple! I think I want to try them using vegan cream cheese and maybe add in some vegan chocolate chips :) Thanks for the recipe!

Baking 'n' Books February 20, 2011 at 10:53 am

Hate non-chunky granola. I have hemp here now and rummage around for the big chunks from the box.

Is there a particular cream cheese you buy? Full-fat I assume? :)

HEAB February 20, 2011 at 1:25 pm

BnB,
Yep, full fat. :)

melissa @ the delicate place February 20, 2011 at 11:04 am

what a cute carrier :) i was a snack monster yesterday too! i think the weekend and less strict routine assists me in that. can’t complain, snacking rules!

a Teenage Gourmet February 20, 2011 at 11:20 am

Mmm, your snacks look totally tasty. This has nothing to do with your post, but I tired making coconut butter yesterday, and it failed miserably. I used reduced fat coconut though. Do you use full fat? Because, then I tired it again with full fat coconut, and that didn’t work either. Maybe I’m just not patient enough, but I waited for several minutes.

HEAB February 20, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Sami,
I always use full fat coconut, and some people have told me it can up to 20 minutes in their food processors. Usually takes mine about 10 or so. Totally worth the wait! :)

Alison February 20, 2011 at 11:23 am

So happy to see you wearing Summer, looks like a Babyhawk? We loved our Mai Tei and used it until my youngest was 3!

HEAB February 20, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Alison,
Yep, Babyhawk. Love that carrier – so does Summer. :)

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 20, 2011 at 12:08 pm

The food looks so good! And what a cute pic of you and Summer :)

I laughed when I read that CD was craving cheesecake — I wish Jason would crave it and make one too!

Lauren @ WWoB February 20, 2011 at 1:13 pm

About todays post: The cheesecake bites are genius and I shall be making them. You can do so many flavors – vanilla bean, peanut butter, coconut, yay! Also – I have had many oatmeal flavors in my life but nothing like you and Lindsay’s recipe. I am about to have breakfast and have all the ingredients. Thank you :)
About yesterdays post: I just posted the cookie dough recipe so the secret is out!
About the day before’s post: I definitely missed the comment section. Your posts are so enjoyable to read – it felt just wrong not being able to say something! I think you should leave them open and not feel pressure to respond. Everyone understands. You are a new mother to a beautiful baby with a fab husband – you shouldnt be tied to the computer all day! Im sure it will be hard to not feel pressured, but I think it’ll work out just fine.

Katherine: Unemployed February 20, 2011 at 1:32 pm

full bellies, full hearts :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 20, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Wow, those bites look ridiculously delicious!

Corey @ the runner's cookie February 20, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I also think I pretty much love every granola I try! But the clumpy, not-too-sweet granola is my favorite. Sometimes on the weekends I tend to eat littler meals every couple of hours instead of 3 meals – just the way it happens! So glad you are enjoying time with Summer and all your family this weekend :)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) February 20, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Your snacks look SO good – especially the cheesecake balls!
And thanks so much for the information on the Brewer’s Yeast! I saw the yeast the other day at the store and it was really expensive, so I really appreciated the info!!! :)
(I tried to send an e-mail reply, but webmail kept giving me an error :( )

Best wishes to you and your family,
Alexandra

Jen February 20, 2011 at 8:17 pm

hey heather,

love your blog! i really want to make polly’s cornbread…since i love cornbread and you seem to be so faithful to her recipe! my question is what kind of baking dish you bake it in. do you think it would turn out well if i followed her recipe (time and temperature included) and baked it in an 8×8 glass baking dish? let me know what you think if you have the time…i know you’re busy with summer! she’s adorable, by the way. i’m 20 right now and i can’t wait to have a baby one day. jealous! :)

HEAB February 20, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Jen,
Love Polly’s cornbread recipe, and yes, I think it would work in a glass 8×8 dish. I usually bake it for 55 minutes in a glass pie dish. Enjoy – it’s on of my favorites. So easy and really yummy. :)

Hannah February 20, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Wonderful wonderful eats! I’ve enamoured with your cheesecake bites recipe, as cheesecake is one of my favourite desserts and yet my lactose intolerance means I always pay heavily for the treat. Your bite-sized cheesecake might’ve just saved my life.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 20, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Do you think I could make those Cheesecake balls with non-dairy cream cheese? They sound DELICIOUS! :D

HEAB February 20, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Kathleen,
I’m sure you could. They are so good. Hope you try them. :)

Runeatrepeat February 20, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I want a baby backpack thing! Even though I don’t have a baby…

Nicole February 21, 2011 at 8:45 am

unfortunately I am always a snacker. I try the 3 meals a day thing but I’m always hungry in between!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 21, 2011 at 9:38 am

Those cheesecake bites look sooo good!

I finally made the coconut butter! Best idea ever!

Casey Thomas February 22, 2011 at 4:28 am

Yum!! So glad you are enjoying my carob coconut blobs recipe :)

{ 5 trackbacks }