Let’s Get Real

by HEAB on February 23, 2011

OK, so one of the reasons I don’t normally share all my eats with you is because they can be really random, weird, or just plain ugly. Wanna see?

Yesterday for lunch, I made another socca crust pizza. The crust contained fresh basil, and I topped my pizza with nutritional yeast and Applegate Farms Pepperoni. Love their big pepperoni slices!

IMG_7386.JPG IMG_7389.JPG

HEABified Pepperoni Pizza

I scarfed down 2 pieces and ate something else, I can’t remember…probably some chocolate, but what I really wanted was a granola cheesecake bite – need to make more of those!  Summer and I then ran errands, and by the time we got home, she was hungry as was mama. So, I grabbed a 3rd piece of pizza and literally walked upstairs to the nursery with it hanging out of my mouth while carrying Summer, her pacifier, and a bottle full of pumped breast milk. There is probably a bit of crust still sitting upstairs somewhere. Can’t seem to remember where I put it.

Summer now falls asleep right around dinner time, and there isn’t much time to cook these days unless we wait until after she goes to sleep. So, last night, CD browned himself some beef and then helped me bathe Summer, read her a bedtime story, and put her to bed. By the way, this is her new favorite book…

I highly recommend this book to all new moms. A reader told me about it (thanks reader!), and it’s the only book that Summer will pay attention to cover to cover, something about the bold black, white, and red pictures. In fact, she liked it so much, she tried to eat it. ;)

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, dinner. CD ate his beef while I ate this completely random and unattractive (but rather tasty) meal…

My last piece of pizza with leftover curried lentil casserole.

Another weird combo that I can’t seem to get enough of these days…

Rolled oats cooked with water with cinnamon, turmeric, and ginger and topped with chopped unsweetened Baker’s chocolate and tahini. Dearest tahini, I am sorry I abandoned you for months and months. So glad you are back in my life b/c you drizzle ever so nicely atop my oats. Love the surface area coverage – more butta per bite.

So see, my life is not filled with picture perfect meals, and hats off to those bloggers who feature all their eats while managing to make them look so beautiful and delicious. You inspire me. Tell me, are there others out there who eat salmon straight from the can, find granola crumbs in their bed, and have walked around with bits of melted chocolate on the seat of their pants? ;)

Mali K (The Mali K Whey) February 23, 2011 at 9:02 am

Mmmm, that oatmeal looks amazing! I think I might make some as a snack later…

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad February 23, 2011 at 9:03 am

Wow, I am the first for once!

Yes. Bobby is always pointing out the fact that I have food schmears on my clothes (um, especially when I have kabocha – I eat it steamed in chunks and I usually eat it with my hands and sometimes I get messy). I guess I keep my laundry guy in business ;)

I <3 being real.

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad February 23, 2011 at 9:03 am

Or… almost the first ;)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 23, 2011 at 9:07 am

I love that photo of Summer :) I love your eats no matter how they look, I don’t judge.. mainly because every time I’ve tried your recipes/concoctions (as crazy as they may sound to others) they come out delicious!

jen @ taste life February 23, 2011 at 9:11 am

I have absolutely walked around with melted chocolate on my pants. I’ve found it on the couch, too.

I’m glad you showed us more of your eats! I love reading blogs where all the food is shown, but it’s unrealistic to think that every meal should be gorgeous and arranged beautifully on a plate!

Summer is precious, as always, and I’m glad you opened comments back up :)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) February 23, 2011 at 9:23 am

I always chocolate on my face. Always. ;)
All you meals may not look the prettiest, but they do look delicious which is what really matters :)

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 23, 2011 at 9:25 am

I think those meals look good ;)

Kim @ girlevolving February 23, 2011 at 9:25 am

Summer is so cute I can barely even stand it! Oh my gosh!!!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy February 23, 2011 at 9:25 am

I can completely relate! There are times when I want to share a recipe, but feel like the pictures don’t do the food any justice at all! However, I think those oats look really scrumptious!

And I also always have chocolate on me somewhere! It’s inevitable!

Tulika February 23, 2011 at 9:28 am

I love your honesty!! (But regardless, your food DOES look tasty! Esp those granola cheesecake bites. Will have to try those ASAP).

Eating chocolate is dangerous…I find melted pieces everywhere on me, on my chair, on my table…

Susie @ Vegging Out Online February 23, 2011 at 9:29 am

My problem is that after I cook, I am so hungry I just want to eat the food and not stop to take a bunch of pictures! Also, often I throw something together experimentally and don’t consider it blog-worthy, and then my kids eat it and tell me it’s good, but by then it’s too late to photograph it.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 23, 2011 at 9:36 am

I think it all looks good to me! The pizza and oats…I need them both in my life! Summer is too cute eating that book. Just wait until she gets some teeth and actually starts eating them. They will definitely give her more fiber in her diet!

glidingcalm February 23, 2011 at 9:41 am

goodness knows I could never photograph everything I eat again! I am such a snacker and fridge scrounger. Especially at my rents house!! I’ll get in there and grab a random piece of chicken or cheese, etc.

Love your style and I need to get some fava bean flourrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Krystina (Organically Me) February 23, 2011 at 9:42 am

I’ve woken up to find chocolate chips on my cheek and tahini on my pants multiple times. Lesson: Don’t fall asleep after eating chocolate chips straight from the bag, and resist temptation to eat tahini off of a spoon.

Stefanie February 23, 2011 at 9:43 am

It is not how the food looks but how it tastes. ;-)

Holly February 23, 2011 at 9:44 am

SUMMER IS SO CUTE! I love your blog just the way it is, Heather. The way you cook is the way I cook. I don’t need fancy pictures to know what tastes good.

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews February 23, 2011 at 9:44 am

I am totally with you! A lot of my food is ugly so I only photograph the prettier recipes.

Bid February 23, 2011 at 9:45 am

Summer is trying to get some fiber…

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods February 23, 2011 at 9:45 am

What I want to see is a reality show featuring you paired with some crazy snooty chef who’s rigid about food pairings and flavor combos- and then you blow his/her mind with your wacky, tasty creations. Would be hysterical! :)

Jill February 23, 2011 at 9:48 am

I’m not even a huge pepperoni person but that pepperoni looks AMAZING!

I eat weird/ugly stuff (especially ugly) all the time. My lunch the other day at work was spaghetti squash with pasta sauce + sausage on it with nut.yeast, and by time I ate it I was so hungry that I just stirred it up and didn’t even microwave it. That elegant meal was finished off with a banana that had a disgustingly brown skin because it had been in my fridge for a while :-)

I also happened to be eating Nutella filled truffles immediately after my pinning ceremony last May (nursing graduation) while wearing an immaculate all white set of scrubs. Umm, yeah, somehow ended up sitting in the chocolate and dropping it on myself. LOL.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 23, 2011 at 9:50 am

At most I show 1-2 meals I have per day and that is only because they are somewhat nice to look at – most of my eats are not pretty!

Marina February 23, 2011 at 9:53 am

I made socca pizza today, and it is awesome!
My meals pretty much always look yummy, but who cares, when they’re delicious :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free February 23, 2011 at 10:03 am

That pizza still looks mighty tasty to me! Its not about the outsides, but the inside that counts ;)

Hahaha….that must be Summer’s signature face-little tongue sticking out :P

rebecca lustig February 23, 2011 at 10:15 am

I’m behind on this Socca trend. Time to step up my game!

Corey @ the runner's cookie February 23, 2011 at 10:21 am

I think all of that food looks very attractive!! My meals and snacks can be so random as well, and I definitely leave trails of cookie crumbs around my house. I admire people who are able to plate all of their meals and snacks and make them look pretty, but I don’t think it’s for me :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats February 23, 2011 at 10:25 am

I totally hear you on not having picture perfect meals – I am always impressed with other bloggers such as you who can make meals look appetizing and beautifully photographed every day. Honestly, your eats today look lovely too :)

Theresa @ thathealthystuff February 23, 2011 at 10:27 am

Heather – u r totally on to something with the bold black and white! My mom is a NICU nurse and I actually one a huge contest for her unit when I was younger and created these checkerboard looking pictures with smiley faces on it. Research has shown that contrasting black and white pictures help to develop babies vision and gaze so keep reading that book!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 23, 2011 at 10:33 am

haha.. I’ve always thought that ugly food often tastes the best! The majority of my meals are soup soup and more soup. Often split pea soup. Ugly but oh so good!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli February 23, 2011 at 10:37 am

Haha! Too funny! I usually only post breakfast and dinner since lunch is usually boring unattractive leftovers! I swear though, sometimes the BEST tasting meals just look like mush!

That bowl of oats looks great! I’ve never thought to pair chocolate and tahini…you’ve definitely sparked my curiosity!

Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) February 23, 2011 at 10:50 am

I’m really bad at posting all my meals. I WANT to post everything I eat, but I usually just do breakfast. It’s always the prettiest and most creative anyways!

Summer is just so adorable, I love her little face with her tongue sticking out!

Lauren (PB&G) February 23, 2011 at 10:53 am

Yum, Heather! It all looks great to me! I eat the same way, some things I make are just plain uuuuuugly! But they sure are delicious.. I think I would love that oatmeal..

Katie February 23, 2011 at 11:00 am

i loved reading this post, Heather. Just a couple nights ago I was thinking that my blogging days were numbered because I just don’t have the time or the desire to make all my meals look beautiful. I can appreciate that others do, but most nights, like last night, by the time I get around to cooking, cleaning up the dishes and actually sitting down to eat, I am FAMISHED and taking 10 extra minutes to set up pretty props and get the lighting down perfectly….not happening. I rarely take dinner pictures for that very reason.

Crumbs are everywhere in my house. On a given day, you’ll find me with food sticking out of my mouth or a spoonful of tahini (or a finger…whatever) walking between my computer and my kitchen. I’m very glamorous.

HEAB February 23, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Katie,
Totally thought of you cherry picking your granola when I mentioned the granola crumbs. Thought you’d have some lying around. ;)

Moni'sMeals February 23, 2011 at 11:24 am

i love your meals! they look so good to me!

I hope to try this pizza. :)

lindsay February 23, 2011 at 11:35 am

I don’t take many pictures of my food for that reason as well. But, I think the sometimes the ugliest meals are the tastiest. And thank you for reminding me to get more tahini. Fresh jar just opened!
Cheers,
LC

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 23, 2011 at 11:51 am

I think all of your eats still look delish!! Sometimes picture-perfect makes me NOT want to eat something. I like when it looks REAL, not always perfect. :)

My hubby loves Applegate Farms pepperoni. Nice big slices, so easy for pizza. Have you ever made nutritional yeast cheezy sauce with chickpea flour and butter? I blend white beans, nutritional yeast, butter, and garlic powder and it makes a YUMMY cheez sauce!!

HEAB February 23, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Jenn,
No, I haven’t. I’ve combined nooch, butter, and tahini for a cheeze sauce, but I definitely need to try your version!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 23, 2011 at 11:53 am

I love that your meals are so interesting–I don’t care if they aren’t pretty. :)

Katherine: Unemployed February 23, 2011 at 11:56 am

babies are great: expressing book preference by licking

not so great with library books though

HEAB February 23, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Katherine,
You always leave witty comments. I love your dry sense of humor – always brings a smile to my face. Thanks for that. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 23, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Props for showing meals despite how they may look..actually, your meals look a lot like the majority of mine do! I love huge messes of stir fries, but they’re not very photogenic unfortunately.

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) February 23, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I think all your meals look tasty, even if they’re not the prettiest!

I eat some of the weirdest meals, which you might not suspect from my blog. I do try and make decent dinners, but breakfasts are often interesting oat/grain bowls and questionable smoothie combos. Lunches are nearly always some mix-up of leftovers from previous nights! I used to post breakfast, lunch and dinner but aside from being super time consuming, I felt very pressured to make breakfast and lunch interesting affairs, which was way too time consuming and hard on my wallet!

I definitely admire bloggers who can do it all, but I like other blogs just the same- and I love yours!

xo

Baking 'n' Books February 23, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Oh wow – those last 3 things? – yeah, I do them ALL and more that I won’t divulge…standing up eating is a huge (bad) habit of mine – often late into the night with chocolate bars and God knows what else! It’s a shame ;)

What are you talking about?! Your meals and pics are some of the best!

Amy Zimmerman February 23, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Summer is so beautiful!

Lauren @ WWoB February 23, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Ive been meaning to make socca pizza for a while now.. today may be the day! And for breakfast I have been having the exact same as you lately, only add canned pumpkin to the oatmeal instead of adding chocolate. And I may or may not add some nooch depending on the mood…
Have a lovely day!

Sarah at The Rounded Teaspoon February 23, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Thank you Heather for posting this! I absolutely am guilty of eating things the ugly way. Yesterday, I quoted on my eats that I ate 1/4 cup of maple yogurt. In actuality, this is an estimation of the couple of spoonfuls I ate directly from the container:)

When you’re hungry, you’re hungry. I don’t have the patience to make it all pretty.

HEAB February 23, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Sarah,
Haha, sometimes my oats never even make it to a bowl…just eat them straight from the pot. No shame! ;)

Dorry February 23, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Love this! I rarely post about food on my blog, but every now and then I’ll snap photos of a new recipe or a particularly pretty dish. My food is sloppy and unattractive with random condiments. Nutritional yeast and sriracha don’t look pretty but they sure taste good. :)

Kara February 23, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I currently have baby oatmeal on my shoulder and something unknown on my pants…so I feel your pain :) There is nothing perfectly neat about life after a baby!

My baby’s favorite book is The Fuzzy Yellow Ducklings. It has all different textures and pull out pages. She can’t get enough of it!

HEAB February 23, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Kara,
I’ll have to look for that book on Amazon. Summer loves anything ducked themed…well, actually CD does. He always dressed her in her duckie outfits. :)

Kristina @ spabettie February 23, 2011 at 1:38 pm

ha! love it… this is one of MANY reasons I don’t do a food diary blog… some things are so random, and some are not pretty (but oh so delicious!)

I have both bakers chocolate AND tahini… I am so going to try this… :)

Marisa @ Loser for Life February 23, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I think your pizza looks awesome, Heather! Gotta look for that Applegate Farms Pepperoni!!!

Summer is such a cutie pie!!!

Beth @ To the Fullest February 23, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Cool book! A friend with a new baby recently told me that newborns only see black and white . . . or perhaps perceive black and white the best. Whichever it is, great choice of reading for Summer! :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 23, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Oh girl, I can’t tell you how many non-photo worthy things I eat. I can also tell you that I made a new recipe which WAS fairly attractive and blogworthy and yet managed not to photograph it. So. Fair enough, we are human blog does not (and shouldn’t?) imitate life. So says Diana. :)

I don’t know what I’d do without my tahini!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 23, 2011 at 3:16 pm

“In fact, she liked it so much, she tried to eat it. ;) ”— I love that and it’s so true! Until about age 2, EVERYTHING goes in the mouth! Dear lord, even dirty cheerios in public dressing rooms. It all goes in the mouth!

The last paragraph “….find granola crumbs in their bed, and have walked around with bits of melted chocolate on the seat of their pants?”
I am amazed by the bloggers who blog 2-3x day AND have gorgeous pics and perfect food in all of their posts! I blog 2x day but I dont edit my pics, not everything is all that pretty, I dont do a daily eats blog, sometimes it’s about the mail or my kid, so yes, I am amazed by them.

Many of those women though don’t have small children who are eating books or dirty cheerios to contend with. Life may change for them once they enter that phase. :)

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse February 23, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Ha ha, I haven’t had it on the seat of my trousers but the number of times I’ve eaten chocolate sitting down and bits have fallen in my lap and melted in the WRONG place!
All my meals are ugly I think but I’d rather they tasted good than looked it (rather they tasted AND looked good but you can’t have everything!)

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse February 23, 2011 at 4:35 pm

And, meant to say, Summer’s face in that picture is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen :-)

Michelle February 23, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Heather, that picture of Summer is just adorable! She seems pretty infatuated with that book, haha.

I agree with you that it’s impressive that some bloggers can document all their meals AND make them look so nice. I just started blogging and I find that a single post takes me hours. Granted I’m slow, but it really makes me appreciate what bloggers do even more so!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun February 23, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Your eats might not be the prettiest, but your food still looks pretty yummy! Especially that oatmeal! :-)

s February 23, 2011 at 5:55 pm

i’m sometimes embarrassed to eat my packed breakfasts in public because they are so out there sometimes – a mishmash of oats/yogurt/whatever mix-ins i feel like. though not picturesque, still tasty, and it gets the job done, haha.

Hannah February 23, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Ah, yes to EVERYTHING you asked in the last paragraph! I never, ever post all my day’s eats because I eat really strangely. So much food from spoons, food straight from the box, more chocolate and more ice cream mixed with nutritional yeast than anyone should ever admit to….

alli February 23, 2011 at 6:07 pm

*just* had tahini and nutritional yeast for the first time EVER this afternoon! holy yum!!!! heather, you are changing my life! :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I do the strangest combos too! My favorite is hummus, quinoa, raisins, and balsamic vinegar – it is SO good! It always looks so icky but is absolutely delicious:)

Christin@purplebirdblog February 23, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I was thinking about eating some tomato sardines out of the can to accompany my dinner wraps. ;)

melissa @ the delicate place February 23, 2011 at 8:13 pm

ha your eats look quite a bit better than some of mine! my food=fug. however, it still tastes delicious!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 23, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I’m glad you found a book that Summer LOVES! i know how hard it is to keep little ones occupied with books. :)

I have to make your oats!!! Girl, you are like the OAT QUEEN!

xoxox,
Kathleen

Alyssa February 23, 2011 at 9:18 pm

So your last sentence cracked me up because my car battery recently died on a blizzardy day and I found this man in the grocery store parking lot to help me jump my car. When he got in my driver’s seat to fiddle with the keys, I noticed he had some brown stuff smeared all over the butt of his pants and I said, “umm, you have some brown stuff on your butt”…I totally thought he had pooped his pants!! Apparently his kids leave melted whoppers in the couch :-) Happens to dads too!

Nicole February 23, 2011 at 9:29 pm

This was your best post ever, Heather. And you’re not alone — I’ve found melted chocolate stuck to more body parts than I care to mention.

Amy February 23, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I definitely eat some ugly foods! Especially on the “I can’t be bothered to cook” nights!! For the most part I try to dish up appetizing (saves complaints from the other half and 3 kiddies) but yes, definitely, if it’s just me….well…..I’d never blog what gets put on my plate!

And who says there’s anything wrong with melted chocolate on the back of your pants. It’s a fashion must don’t you know :P

Kristen, Sweetly February 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Hahaha! Well, no salmon for me… But I have eaten peanut butter and chocolate chips and called it dinner (namely when I got home from New Orleans at 1 AM Monday night). I have had crumbs in my bed every night for the last week. And my friend likes to iron her dress clothes on her floor, and has accidentally ironed dark chocolate into them. ;-)

Rachel @ Healthy Teacher February 23, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Love the eats and all the cute pics of Summer. What a sweet baby!

Laurie February 23, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I made up this combo that I call “pizza” and I have it at least once a wk. for dinner. Sounds gross and probably looks so to a lot of people, but I LOVE it!

I take 4 egg whites and 1/2 a yolk from one egg, add a splash of almond milk, chili powder, garlic & onion powder, oregano & basil – wisk well. I then make a giant “pancake” omelet in my perfect sized t-fal pan. Set the oven to 350 degrees, spray a pizza pan, slap the omelet on and top it w/my homemade salt free spaghetti sauce, a crumbled turkey breakfast patty, red onion, mushrooms, more garlic powder, italian seasoning, sometimes fresh green pepper diced & dry parmesan cheese or reduced fat cheddar sliced. Bake until crispy and oh so yummy!! I make a “pancake” omelet for breakfast every AM (actually it is eaten in the AM, but actually cooked the previous PM to save time). It has lots of yummies added to it (a few being cinnamon,nutmeg,ginger,oatmeal and lots more) and topped w/SF, low carb homemade syrup & either Almond Butter or reduced fat PButter or the 2nd combo topping being Nutella & SF Strawberry jam. I eat these faithfully every AM I love them so much and they are another of my creation.

Christine (The Raw Project) February 24, 2011 at 12:01 am

Wow, the socca pizza and oatmeal look wonderful, I’ve been itching to try socca as a pizza crust and I will soon! Adorable Summer pic.

Casey Thomas February 24, 2011 at 12:27 am

This is the most beautiful photo of Summer! I love it!
I have weird looking meals almost every day, that’s why I don’t post my eats everyday!

Monica February 24, 2011 at 12:38 am

Try walking around with chocolate melted into the fold of your elbow all day, you feel super cool! As least you are a Mom and can displace messes on your little one, I have no excuse, but frenzied chocolate consumption. ;)

And your blog inspires most of my weekly dinner plans. Gorgeous photos of food are overrated, I want delicious and healthy!

HEAB February 24, 2011 at 7:24 am

Thanks Monica and too funny about the elbow crease chocolate mishap. ;)

stephanie T February 24, 2011 at 12:51 am

Yum, your food always looks so savory and delicious! I always want to make your recipes, so keep ‘em coming. Any great Brewers Yeast Recipes? I’ve been enjoying nutritional yeast recently and so has my 21 month old daughter! Pregnant with #2 and have been tossing Brewers Yeast into my foods, but would love some savory brewers yeast meals. Any ideas? Tried the mothers milk cookies the other day and dont care for them at all.

HEAB February 24, 2011 at 7:23 am

Stephanie T,
Congrats on your 2nd pregnancy. So exciting! As far as the brewer’s yeast goes, I love eating it atop big bowls of mustard stir-fry. It’s great mixed with eggs, hummus, and a little mustard, or atop a savory bowl of oats with butter, a cooked egg, and fresh herbs like chopped basil.

Kaysie February 24, 2011 at 1:12 am

I eat trail mix and granola at my computer often and my husband likes to turn over the keyboard and shake at all the crumbs to show me how I’m getting it in there all whilst shaking his head at me lol!

Pure2raw twins February 24, 2011 at 7:33 am

I think you food always looks great!!

Alyssa February 24, 2011 at 9:35 am

When you are a mom, ESPECIALLY a brand-new mom, you are allowed to eat wherever you are able to, be it the kitchen, the nursery, in your bed in the dark, or on a swing at the park. (Kinda like Dr. Suess…) And it is guaranteed that you will forget pretty much everything. Not all at once, but one or two things at a time. This will go on for a while.
Say, a decade or so.
(I once came home from the grocery store and put my car keys in the fridge and the eggs in the china cabinet. Then scratched my head the next morning when I couldn’t make breakfast OR go to work.)

Another adorable picture of Summer! (Hey Cutie! Eat any good books lately?, lol!)

Ashley February 24, 2011 at 10:36 am

I just woke up and found kale chip crumbs all over MY side of the couch. LOL whooops!! Love your eats Heather!

CH February 25, 2011 at 12:32 am

The “surface area coverage factor” is SO important for nut butters, especially on oatmeal! I love that someone else appreciates this too. :) I find that TJs peanut butter tends to be super drizzle-able. :)

Allie February 25, 2011 at 7:25 am

Omg, cutest baby pick ever. Surely she’ll love that one when she’s older.

Renee at Applegate February 25, 2011 at 8:54 am

Hi, Renee from Applegate here! We just launched the new “All-Pork” formula on Jan. 17th and it’s so exciting to get such great feedback on our New Applegate Pepperoni! Full nutritional info can be found here: http://goo.gl/PYbWn. Thanks again for being fans!

kathleen February 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Ha. You are not alone. Because my husband eats meat and I do not. I end up doing a lot of cooking for him. I get tired and then don’t feel like making something for myself. So I eat anything I can grab. I feel like all babies get fussy at night time just when you want to relax and cook dinner. So I try, sometimes successfully, to prep or cook dinner at like 4p and then reheat.

nadia February 25, 2011 at 2:37 pm

that pizza looks pretty amazing to me! and summer is just too adorable.. btw – - I MISS OATMEAL!! :( but about to have a bakers sq *cheer me up* .. hehe :)

Meagan February 26, 2011 at 1:13 am

Heather, I am so comforted that there are other people out there that combine “weird things” together. I don’t think it’s wierd. I just put delicious things together and it just turns out to be an unconventional combination. The other night for dinner I had the last of my goat yogurt with guacamole and warm butternut squash, and maple macadamia nuts, Lydias raw crackers and cucumbers!

Annie@stronghealthyfit February 26, 2011 at 9:32 am

Cute post! :-)

Beth February 26, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I’m so glad to find someone out there who likes tahini so much, too. It’s so good in yogurt. But I think my favorite way is on top of sprouted grain toast with honey or agave.

New to your blog and love it. We’re thinking of having a baby soon, so I appreciate reading about your experiences.

Thanks for sharing!

Brittney March 1, 2011 at 10:16 am

A little off topic, but I’m new to this, I hate to say healthy, it should be correct way of eating. Anyway, I made a smoothie last night out of frozen berries, a banana, and almond milk. I did add a tiny bit of normal, skim milk ( I added too many berries and that almond milk is expensive!) anyway. I had some left over so I saved it in the fridge over night to have as a snack today. When I took it out of the fridge it was a jelly like consistency and lumpy. I couldn’t bring myself to finish it. I guess my question is, does almond milk curdle? Or was this from mixing in the two milks? I’ve been adding it to my coffee and never had an issue ( i also drink that stuff fast).

Thanks for any advice!

HEAB March 1, 2011 at 10:24 am

Brittney,
Not sure why your smoothie got all lumpy – probably just some separation happening, but I’ve never experienced almond milk curdling. My advice is to put any leftover smoothie in the freezer, not the fridge. Take it out and let it thaw a bit (maybe 10 to 15 minutes) and stir before eating. The freezer will preserve it much better. :)

{ 5 trackbacks }