Leftover Chips?

by HEAB on February 24, 2011

There is an abundance of Food Should Taste Good chips sitting in our kitchen after I won them in a giveaway from Kelly. So, what does one do with 5 bags of chips?

Well, you definitely eat the chocolate variety alongside some chocolate chip cookie dough hummus

The sweet potato flavored chips go great with black bean dessert hummus

But, what does one do with olive chips…besides scarfing them down by the handful? Why, you make salmon cakes of course!

Salmon Cakes adapted from The Real Food Diet Cookbook.

These turned out great. I’ll be giving away a copy of the above mentioned cookbook soon. So stay tuned. It’s got some great recipes!

How do you get your chip lovin’ on?

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks February 24, 2011 at 10:57 am

Those sound like delicious pairings! I love the olive ones with guacamole.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 24, 2011 at 11:00 am

Great combos! Salmon cakes.. yum :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats February 24, 2011 at 11:03 am

what an awesome idea :)

Kate February 24, 2011 at 11:07 am

The olive ones are also great w/ spinach dip – I usually saute a big bad of spinach in a little coconut oil (or w some bacon) and then sprinkle some goat cheese on top & stir like crazy…it’s so much better than the typical mayonnaise & canned Parmesan cheese spinach dips!

Can’t wait to try the Salmon Cake recipe!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 24, 2011 at 11:12 am

Tony made salmon patties for the boys a couple of weeks ago and they loved them. Yours sound great with the chips! Great use for using them up. I like making corn bread dressing with chips along with eating them with massive amounts of hummus!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 24, 2011 at 11:18 am

I just eat them by the handful! I am in love with my hummus-raisin mixtures, I just eat them by the bowl!:)

Megan (Braise The Roof) February 24, 2011 at 11:20 am

An abundance of FSTG chips is never a burden, they’re all so good! My favorite are the lime variety with LOTS of salsa or pico de gallo. I wish I had some now! How are the chocolate kind? Do they really taste chocolate-y? I always wondered about those…

HEAB February 24, 2011 at 11:37 am

Megan,
Not too chocolatey. Kind of salty, a bit sweet, with just a hint of chocolate. I really liked them.

lindsay February 24, 2011 at 11:47 am

Oh thats a great idea. I love using those chips baked into my meals. The sweet potato ones are great with crushed on top a salad with a little tahini.
Now I am hungry.

Sophie February 24, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Great combo’s of real flavours in these tasty dishes! I love the easy to make salmon cakes too!

Jess February 24, 2011 at 12:38 pm

there is always black bean dip, which i used as a dip of course and then later as a spread in quick veggie quesadilla.

Jennie February 24, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I love the jalapeno ones from Food Should Taste Good! I eat ‘em by the handful, dip in TJ’s Spicy Black Bean Dip, or crush them up into taco salads. Mmmm…. now I have to go buy some more. They don’t last long in my house! I will have to try the chocolate ones. I am intrigued…

Dorry February 24, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I love chips and dips! Spicy hummus & blue corn is my favorite. My husband makes nachos all the time, and I love a black bean or refried bean bowl scooped with the chips. And avocado of course.

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel February 24, 2011 at 1:11 pm

dessert hummus- omg how could i have missed that post! im blown away by the idea of combining chocolate with hummus- but it works..unless of course i added garlic lol..then maybe not so much- but i love that cookie dough hummus recipe!! i think i’ll have to get on that and try mixing some chocolate or caron sweetness together with my canned chickpeas mmm <3

xoxo

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 24, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I love dipping chips into vegetarian chili! I still need to try that chocolate chip cookie dough hummus!!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm

This is the 2nd recipe from that book I’ve seen today and both look absolutely incredible!

Corey @ the runners cookie February 24, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Love the creative ways to eat chips! I’m usually boring and have my regular tortilla or pita chips with salsa, guacamole, or dip. The sweet potato chips with the black bean dessert hummus sounds pretty great to me right now!

Carlee February 24, 2011 at 2:56 pm

THAT HUMMUS LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!

I love salsa and chips but now I’m craving hummus and chips!

Maren February 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm

That’s crazy that you made these today! It’s National Tortilla Chip day!! haha :) This looks awesome, I may have to whip this up soon!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods February 24, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I love these chippies with green hummus (which I think would be right up your alley!). Yum!

Ashlei February 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm

That’s such a great idea! I have a bag of them I need to use up.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 24, 2011 at 3:55 pm

The salmon cakes look like a hit…and they look easy & fast. Thanks for making Scott a happy man if I decide to make these for him!

Chip loving..you know, I do like chips. But I like chocolate/sugar more. So it would be a better question to ask me that….lol.

Because the first link I opened was the link for the choc chip cookie dough hummus. Which again, looks marvelous! My brain always goes for chocolate, first :)

Cara @ ChicMeetsHealthy February 24, 2011 at 4:21 pm

yum! black bean hummus! sounds amazing!

Niamh February 24, 2011 at 4:23 pm

That looks amazing.
I don’t eat fish, but I’m thinking of making these for my mom.

Baking 'n' Books February 24, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I thought they were Blue Corn chips – chocolate?! Never knew that existed!

Oh thank you for posting that Salmon Cake recipe! I love salmon…and cakes ;) (yeah, yeah, I know – not the same kind of cake) but ya know what I mean! – and this recipe looks simple. I hate recipes that are super long or include a bunch of different ingredients. Keep it simple!

Er, keep it REAL (as per the cookbook) :)

Heather @ kissmybroccoli February 24, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Once I got over the fact that the sweet potato chips didn’t taste a thing like sweet potatoes, I really liked them! The bag was no match for my superior hummus dipping skills! ;)

That is a GREAT idea for salmon cakes! Can’t wait to try it out! I love canned salmon…so easy!

kate@ahealthypassion February 24, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I keep seeing that cookie dough hummus I HAVE to try it! YUM

Runeatrepeat February 24, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I save the “chip crumbs” to make Chilaquiles!

HEAB February 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Brilliant Monica. :)

alli February 24, 2011 at 7:09 pm

those salmon cakes look and sound delish!

i don’t buy chips. i can’t. i don’t have much self control when it comes to tortilla chips! so, if i get a hankering for them i cut up some corn tortillas, spray with olive oli and season with salt. then pop ‘em in the toaster oven for 5 minutes. they taste great and satisfy my craving :)

Gina February 24, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Chips & guac for me :)

Stefanie February 24, 2011 at 7:36 pm

The chocolate and sweet potato chips sound delish. Those are some great pairings too. I like to eat chips by the handful.

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) February 24, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I don’t much like chips but those chocolate ones? I MUST try those! :)

Hannah February 24, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I remember trying the olive chips and the chocolate chips when I was in the US in 2007! I love your creativity with the leftovers. Brilliant!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables February 24, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Ahh yum!!! I can’t buy those chips because I’ll eat the whole bag at once ;) haha

Tara February 24, 2011 at 10:24 pm

What a unique way to use chips! I love FSTG, but I’m still mad that they discontinued the potato and chive flavor. That was my favorite!!! I like using the sweet potato ones to scoop banana soft serve.

Alisa Fleming February 24, 2011 at 10:46 pm

You know, I’m not a chip person, but I really like that brand. I reviewed all of their chips (except the cheesy ones) years ago, and always keep an eye out for sales and coupons now. You can often get them for $1 a bag, which I find worth it. Never thought to use them in recipes though. Thanks HEAB!

Christin@purplebirdblog February 24, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I have been getting my chip and dip lovin’ on quite a bit lately with some rad homemade dips… it’s just too easy after work or school as a snack (or a meal, lol)! :)

Amanda February 24, 2011 at 11:19 pm

That chocolate chip cookie dough hummus looks AMAZING! And so does that salmon! :)

Amy February 25, 2011 at 12:28 am

Mmmm these sound fantastic!!! I don’t buy chips very often….particularly potato chips. Every time I cave and buy a packet, they sneak into my hand and before I know it I’m staring at the crumbs in the bottom of the bag and wondering where all the delicious chips went :(

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun February 25, 2011 at 6:48 am

Mmmm…those salmon cakes look delish! When there are chips in my house A) they don’t last long and B) we just eat them plain. I’ve always wanted to use them as breadcrumbs, though. Chicken with crusted with tortilla chips – YES! :-P

Cailin @ Stir Crazy February 25, 2011 at 8:59 am

I just made homemade hummus for the first time this week, and I’ll never buy store-bought again! I made the plain kind, but I’m realizing that there are so many delicious options out there (like chocolate chip cookie dough… must make that!)

We don’t eat chips much, but we usually just dip them in salsa, hummus or guacamole. What a creative use for them in salmon cakes!

maya February 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm

i love to use extra chip in chilaquiles! have you ever tried them? i bet olive chips would be great.

HEAB February 25, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Maya,
I’ve only made chilaqulies with soft corn tortillas. Must try them with chips soon! Bet it’s delicious. :)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 25, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I love your dessert hummus!

Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) February 25, 2011 at 3:42 pm

YES! I just got the Real Food Diet Cookbook and was planning on making those very same Salmon Cakes! Now I have even more reason to, they look amazing!

Mandy (theamazonprincess) February 25, 2011 at 5:41 pm

What wonderful combos! :D I haven’t tried the chocolate ones yet (I’m sure they would be my new favorite) but the sweet potato ones are delish! Gotta love ‘em.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 25, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I get my chip fix with guac! :)

xoxox,
Kathleen

Kristen February 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Probably a stupid question, but is the butter you have listed supposed to be mixed in or is that supposed to be used to in the skillet to cook them?

HEAB February 26, 2011 at 7:59 am

Kristen,
Good question. I’ll edit post, but the 1 TBSP of butter listed in recipe gets mixed with ingredients. I used extra butter for the skillet.

Kelly March 26, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I’m a bit slow, but glad that you like the chips! And that’s such a creative use for the olive ones! :)

{ 7 trackbacks }