Good Karma

by HEAB on February 27, 2011

Remember my big plans with my chickpea flour and nutritional yeast…well, the recipe kind of bombed. Jenn gave me the idea of making a cheeze sauce with the garbanzo bean flour, nutritional yeast, and butter. Brilliant, no? I mean, I love mixing nutritional yeast with butter for my HEABified Mac & Cheese, and I figured the flour would bring it to a whole new level.

First I threw some Texmati brown rice into the rice cooker with a handful of frozen peas and a pinch of salt.

While that cooked, I combined 1 TBSP melted Kerrygold butter, 1 TBSP garbanzo bean flour, and 1 TBSP nutritional yeast in the Magic Bullet. I then mixed the sauce with about a cup of cooked rice and threw in half a can of wild salmon. I was going for a tuna noodle casserole kind of thing…or something. Not quite sure.

The end result was OK, but the flour gave the sauce a funky taste…too flour-y if that makes sense. I think it would have been much better with a spoonful of hummus stirred in instead. That being said, the meal was pretty darn tasty after I drowned my bowl in some tahini. Jenn, I still think it was a great idea, but I would stick with your white bean cheeze sauce instead.

I made up for the funk with a Kookie Karma raw cherry cashew kookie

IMG_7431.JPG IMG_7432.JPG

Kookie Karma sent me some Kookie samples a couple of weeks ago, and sadly enough the cherry cashew flavor was my last one. I’ve been snacking on them at odd hours of the night as evidenced by the following horrible pictures…

IMG_7343.JPG IMG_7411.JPG

Even though Summer is sleeping through the night, I still get up sometimes and pump to maintain my breast milk supply, usually around 3 AM, and let me tell you that these cookies make waking up at that hour much easier. :) The cherry cashew was probably my favorite of the raw line. You could really taste the fresh ginger, and I’m not even a huge ginger fan as I often find it too overpowering…do not like it when my Thai dishes taste like Lemon Pledge. Anyway, the ginger in the cherry cashew cookie was perfect, and I loved the big chunks of dried cherries and nuts. However, my favorite out of all the cookies was probably the Holistic Choco Lot. At first bite, I thought it had a weird texture, but by the last bite I was in love. It was rich, fudgy, and not too sweet. I also liked that it was sweetened with xylitol and lower in sugars when compared to the raw cookies.

Have you tried Kookie Karma Kookies? Unfortunately, they are not available in Nashville, but if you see them in a store near you, give them a try. Good stuff!

Gina February 27, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Those cookies sound so amazing! I love that they’re gluten-free.
What’s the nutritional info like?

HEAB February 27, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Gina,
The raw kookies are comparable to Larabars nutrition-wise, and the ones sweetened with xylitol are under 200 calories and contain about 8 sugars per kookie I think. Not sure as I threw away all the wrappers.

Courtney February 27, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Yum, those cookies look good!

Little Ballerina February 27, 2011 at 4:08 pm

oh goodness those cookies look amazing!! i might be making a trip to the states soon; will definitely stock up on some of those!!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 27, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Chickpea flour is great, but it definitely does not smooth out…if that makes sense? I need to try that white bean cheese sauce. I am starting to really love the nutritional yeast!

I haven’t tried the cookies before.

Emily February 27, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Yum. I like the sound of a cashew-cherry cookie. Those cookies sound good!

Dorry February 27, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Those cookies look great! I’ll have to check around in Dallas to see if anyone carries them. Hope y’all are having a relaxing Sunday afternoon!

Kara February 27, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I remember reading the weirdest things online when I’d get up in the middle of the night to pump. It takes skill to pump and surf the internet at the same time :)

I don’t miss that at all!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 27, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I am a sucker for any and all cookies. I wish they sent you enough for a giveaway!

Slash I have had major nooch fails too, and I can see how it would have been too “floury”. I love socca, but the flour mixed with water by itself tastes so strange!

HEAB February 27, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Katelyn,
They did, but I was a piggy and ate them all myself. If I should ever happen to get more, I will definitely give them away. Would love to spread some good karma around. :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods February 27, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Those cookies look awesome!

HEAB February 27, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Katelyn,
They did, but I was a piggy and ate them all myself. If I should ever happen to get more, I will definitely give them away. Would love to spread some good karma around. ;)

HEAB February 27, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Oops, sorry Jen. Meant that reply for the comment above you.

Hannah February 27, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Sadly no, I haven’t found anything like these raw cookies in Canberra, Australia!

Also, I feel a sorrowful connection to you for your flour mishap. I thought it would be a brilliant idea to try my new coconut flour in a smoothie, but it made the texture all wrong. :(

HEAB February 27, 2011 at 5:04 pm

So sorry Hannah. Have you tried the coconut cream yet? Can’t go wrong with that recipe!

carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 27, 2011 at 4:41 pm

i HAVE ALWAYS wanted to try those cookies ! i wish they sold them in the UK- they look AMAZING!

Matt February 27, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Sorry about the recipe flop! Those cookies look good though ;)

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun February 27, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I’ve always wanted to try nutritional yeast. Next time I go to Whole Foods I’ll pick some up!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free February 27, 2011 at 5:38 pm

ohmygosh this is pure genius! I am having it for dinner tonight because 1) I have nothing in the fridge except leftover peas 2) I’m want something comforting after frying my brain today and 3) I am in love with mixing peas+nutritional yeast+grain to make a sort of mac n cheez….

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 27, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Those cookies look so good! I love that they are sweetened with Xylitol. I’m going to have to see if they are sold in my area. Thanks for sharing.

Dinahsoar February 27, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I have some experience with Indian cooking and chickpea flour/besan needs to be cooked before eating. You might try roasting it dry, in a hot skillet, being careful not to burn it. Or make a roux with it, and cook it a few minutes before adding it to your dish–that might work.

BTW–tried the chocolate and tahini with oatmeal…awesome taste…loved it. Made the soca crust tonight, ate it with butter–yum yum.

I love nutritional yeast, almost addicted to it…eat it every day…I think it was you who turned me on to it…with your images of humnut sauce.

Finally–there is a delicious chickpea rice casserole recipe on my blog–I found it in a magazine. If you love Indian food you’ll probably enjoy this. It’s easy and cheap, as well as delicious. The direct link is: http://dinahsoar.blogspot.com/2010/08/indian-chickpea-rice-casserole.html if you are interested.

Love your blog, visit it daily. We used to live in the Nashville area…I really miss it, especially all the great international and whole foods stores.

HEAB February 27, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Dinahsoar,
Good call on the roux – I should try that. Tried it once with almond flour, and it was a major flop!

Thanks so much for reading my blog. Wish you were still in Nashville – I’d have you over for chocolate tahini oats. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 27, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I’m the only one who doesnt have chickpea flour and hasnt tried my hand at any recipes using it or at making socca. I need to change that!

I think your recipe looks great and hey, you salvaged it and enjoyed it. But yes, you and hummus stirred in would have been a match made in heaven.

Kookie Karma…yes, they are all over here in San Diego and they are great. A real treat! I rarely (if ever) buy them, but yes, have had them. Nice score!

Have a great Sunday p.m. and week, Heather!

heather @ kissmybroccoli February 27, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Sorry about the sauce flop, but it still looks delicious!

I’ve seen those cookies on Elise’s blog and I’m pretty sure she said that the chocolate one was the best too!

Well, I’m off to make Mama Pea’s cinnamon toast crunch with my chickpea flour! Yay!

HEAB February 27, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Heather,
I’m dying to make Mama Pea’s recipe as well as Ashley’s cocoa version!

Namaste Gurl February 27, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I’ve never tried butter, nooch and chickpea flour before. I love nutritional yeast and coconut oil together, however. Maybe instead of using the chickpea flour raw as a sauce, make a socca pancake out of it, then top it with nooch and butter! Now that would be yummy i’m sure :)

HEAB February 27, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Namaste Gurl,
Yes! How could it not be? :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 27, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Haha, noted about the chickpea flour!! I think the white beans were mild enough to not overpower it, plus the milk probably thinned it out. Nutritional yeast is something that either works or it doesn’t, lots more experimentation needed! :)

Never heard of Kookies! They sound good, though.

Baking 'n' Books February 27, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Those cookies look perfectly chewy – just how I like them! I’ve been munching on a lot of the “Enjoy Life” Gingerbread Spice lately…too much ;)

Is Xylitol a natural sweetener?

Do you eat goat cheese HEAB? I know you said you found Goat’s yogurt cooperated with you before.

HEAB February 27, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Baking N Books,
Yes, I love goat cheese. I craved grilled cheese sandwiches like crazy when I was pregnant, and it saved me.

Here is some info. on xylitol from Wikipedia: Xylitol is a sugar alcohol sweetener used as a naturally occurring sugar substitute. It is found in the fibers of many fruits and vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and mushrooms.[2] It can be extracted from corn fiber,[3] birch, raspberries, plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose with only two-thirds the food energy.

Baking 'n' Books February 28, 2011 at 8:18 am

Thanks for answering HEAB :) It feels like there’s so many blobs so against cheese, etc. and it can get overwhelming at times….

Hannah February 27, 2011 at 9:36 pm

well, whatever that casserole thing is, it looks PHENOMENAL! Totally what I would crave on a cold day. I’m not vegan, but I’m always looking for new/healthier ways to make comfort food dishes, I’ll have to try this one out!!
My elementary school used to serve nooch on popcorn which I didn’t like much, but I think I’d like to give it a second chance, especially in a mac’n'cheeze-ish dish : )

Katie February 27, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I’m pretty sure you have to cook the flour first. I’ve made nooch cheeze with regular flour and nooch with and without cooking it and it definitly has a flour-y texture unless it is cooked. Even if you just microwave it that helps a ton.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 27, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Don’t you just love your rice cooker! It makes the process so much easier! :D

Special K February 27, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Can you say more about your rice cooker? What is the difference between the end result and boiling it?

HEAB February 27, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Special K,
LOVE my rice cooker as it makes cooking any grain super easy. I have a cheap one from Target that I paid maybe $20 or $30 for tens years ago. All I do is put in any grain plus water and hit the “on” button. That’s it. When the grain is done cooking (anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes), it goes into “warming” mode and keeps the rice, quinoa, oats, etc. warm for hours. You can add veggies or instead of water, cook the grain in coconut milk, chicken broth, etc. You can buy really nice rice cookers with all kinds of settings, but mine gets the job done.

Marina February 28, 2011 at 1:00 am

Cashew cookied sound awesome!
Hm, raw chickpea flour sounds like it good give a lot of…well, gas :)
I hope you and Summer didn’t have any problems with that!

HEAB February 28, 2011 at 5:23 am

Marina,
Nope, no problems – we’re all good. :)

Dea February 28, 2011 at 1:13 am

Have you made hummus with your chickpea flour? I bought some a long time ago and there was a recipe on the bag for it and I tried it, didn’t smooth out, but it was interesting. I think a good stand it when my chickpeas haven’t soaked and I have a hankering for hummus, but I am wondering if anyone else has done it and had it work for them.

HEAB February 28, 2011 at 5:21 am

Dea,
I haven’t tried the hummus, but I remember someone leaving a comment saying they had tried it and liked it. There is a recipe for it on the back of my bag, but after using the flour in this sauce, not sure if I’d like the hummus. I think I’d probably prefer whole cooked chickpeas instead.

Mama Pea February 28, 2011 at 2:02 am

Ha ha, I totally miss breastfeeding snacks in the middle of the night. I sometimes wake up now and come downstairs to read or check email and I have to remind myself that I don’t “need” those snacks anymore :)

Meagan February 28, 2011 at 2:05 am

I have actually NEVER tried one of their cookies since they sweeten with agave syrup, a fake/natural healthified-industrialized-fructosized sweetener I avoid. I probably wouldn’t eat the xylitol ones either. They should try some raw honey and real maple syrup or brownrice syrup instead. That would be much better!

HEAB February 28, 2011 at 5:17 am

Meagan,
I don’t mind xylitol, but agave is not my favorite either. I don’t buy it, but if it’s used in baked goods or ice-cream, I’ll eat them. However, I agree with you and would rather eat maple syrup or brown rice syrup.

Natalia - a side of simple February 28, 2011 at 10:15 am

Mission this week: Buy nutritional yeast and make HEAB mac n cheese!

Michelle February 28, 2011 at 11:56 am

I haven’t tried the karma kookies but I want to. They look great and sound healthy to boot. Love that!

PS… thanks for the idea of using nutritional yeast to make mac ‘n cheese. I’m going to have to give that a shot!

Christin@purplebirdblog February 28, 2011 at 12:05 pm

“do not like it when my Thai dishes taste like Lemon Pledge.”

YES, my sentiments EXACTLY!!! I have always likened pickled ginger that comes with sushi to Lemon Pledge too… I just can’t eat that crap! ;)

Nicole March 1, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Hey Heather! I’m expecting in May, and I’d love some tips on how you got your beautiful baby girl to sleep through the night. Thanks! Love the blog!

HEAB March 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Nicole,
Congrats – so exciting. Summer started sleeping through the night on her own. We never did any “sleep training” or anything. That being said, I did read the book Good Night, Sleep Tight by Kim West. The first 4 months are kind of all over the place, but from what I’ve read, you can start to get the baby on more of a regular sleeping schedule between the ages of 4 and 6 months. Summer just did it on her own. She was sleeping from about 8 to 6 AM, but now she’s falling asleep much earlier…and now waking up at 4 AM. However, she goes immediately back to sleep after I feed her. I’d love for her to sleep until 6 AM, but I really can’t complain as she sleeps for a good 8 hour stretch every night. Best of luck to you. Being a mama is the most amazing thing ever – I love it. :)