Ravenous for Rice

by HEAB on February 28, 2011

Last week, I received 2 samples of Texmati Rice.

I was already a fan of the brown variety as we buy it at Costco, but I’d never tried the white. When given the option, I’ll always choose brown rice over white. I like that’s a bit higher in fiber, and to me it just tastes better. The flavor is nutty, with a chewier texture.

Yesterday, I cooked the brown version in the rice cooker for my chickpea sauce adventure

I love the texture of the brown rice, and the entire house smells like sweet buttered popcorn whenever I steam it in the rice cooker.

Today, I used the Texmati white rice to make Emily’s Kokomo Toasted Coconut & Lime Rice Pudding

Toasting the coconut makes such a difference – brings out so much flavor!

I used HEABified coconut milk in place of the milk and NuNaturals Stevia Baking Blend in place of the sugar. The recipe turned out so creamy, and although it was a tad too sweet for my taste buds, I still enjoyed every bite. The white rice worked great, but next time I want to make it with brown instead. This was such a refreshing dish, served cold with the coconut and lime zest, and I think it would make the perfect dessert for a warm summer evening.

Speaking of Summer, Emily posted some of my Summer’s photos from Saturday’s photo shoot on her her blog. I’d love to hear which one you like best. I love them all.

41.jpg

Shamima February 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Impossible to pick one picture, they are all beautiful, absolutely beautiful!!!

nadia February 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm

all those photos are simply beautiful. that’s all I have to say!!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 28, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Coconut plus lime in any form is most excellent. Delicious…

P.S. Love the family photo.

dawn February 28, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I have to admit I peeked yesterday, and I adore them all! You are such a beautiful woman, your child is gorgeous, and your husband is a doll. Get them
all, I say! Lots of love, Dawn

HEAB February 28, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Hi Dawn.
Miss & love you. Hope all is well. :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence February 28, 2011 at 3:03 pm

ah i love the one with the bunny hat! all of them are beautiful.

Jess February 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm

All of those pictures are amazing!! What a beautiful little girl you have :)

Katheryn February 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I have two favorite’s. First pick is the one with her upside down. Her eyes look so amazingly blue and is just beautiful. My second pick is the one with you holding her looking over your shoulder. Super sweet!

Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition February 28, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Yum! I would have never thought to mix rice with coconut! Great idea and adorable pics :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 28, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Heather- the photos are beyond beautiful. Summer is such a beautiful baby, I love them all!
PS: I heart rice pudding :)

Kim @ girlevolving February 28, 2011 at 3:28 pm

All of them. ALL OF THEM. Oh my goodness, these are amazing. Summer is stunning. You are a beautiful family!

Samantha Robertson February 28, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I love love love the bunny hat! She’s so pretty. Her eyes are such a beautiful shade of blue!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 28, 2011 at 3:31 pm

That last pic of you, Summer, and CD…what a beautiful shot! Oh Heather, you are so smart to have done something like that. I wish I had had professional pics taking of us when Skylar was a baby. I never did. I thought candid snapshots were all we needed..and they’re fine…but nothing can compare to the treasured pics you now have. Awesome!

I have bought that exact rice before! Never made anything too creative with it, but basmati rice is sooo wonderful, just plain. I would love to make rice pudding with it.

Erica February 28, 2011 at 3:33 pm

mmm rice does smell awesome when its cooking!! I prefer brown rice too- the nutty flavor is awesome. Rice pudding is a fabulous dessert and breakfast. I need to make up a batch. As I said yesterday, Those pictures of Summer are fabulous! She has gorgeous eyes

Ana February 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Emily’s work is awesome, and Summer is just the cutest little girl! Oh my gosh Heather, I like all the pictures but I particularly love the one you put on this post and the one that Summer is smiling with the letter spelling her name right beside her, so precious!!!
If I had a baby right now I would call Emily to come and take some pictures, what beautiful work she does!

Katie February 28, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I got the same samples in the mail last week! I’m using some for dinner tonight, but the rice pudding looks pretty fantastic, too. :-) Love that picture of you 3!!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm

That picture of Summer is so adorable — you have such a cute family!

Heather February 28, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Oh my goodness, Heather! All of those photos are absolutely beautiful. :) What a blessing to have such fabulous captured moments of Summer. Wish my parents had done the same. ;)

I think my favorites are 1, 5 (love that you’re hidden behind your gorgeous locks while Summer is gazing dead on at us), and the last one. Awesome technique — Summer beneath the family portrait. But I also love 2… The little beanie! And then the one with all three of you. Gaaah, so hard to choose.

Just know that these photos totally brightened my study-heavy afternoon. Thank you for sharing!

HEAB February 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Heather,
So happy to hear the photos brought some brightness to your afternoon. :)

Colleen Stewart February 28, 2011 at 3:45 pm

All the pictures are adorable! Summer has the most gorgeous blue eyes! So beautiful with her pretty dark hair :)

greenbean February 28, 2011 at 3:50 pm

i’m with you Heather, i love them all. i especially love the one with Summer in the hat

Sarah R February 28, 2011 at 3:52 pm

There is no way to pick just one picture, but my two favorites are the one where she is in the hat (the tongue! I die!) and the one of the three of you. She does an amazing job–wish I could hire her!

Kari February 28, 2011 at 3:58 pm

OMGoodness! GORGEOUS! I love the pictures where you can see her strikingly beautiful blue eyes. Oh my…………..

Miranda February 28, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Summer is beautiful! I really love the one of her looking over your shoulder. Even though you can’t see the color of her eyes, they still sparkle. Your hair looks great in it too!

Nicole February 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Although all of the pictures are absolutely gorgeous, my favorites are the very first one, the one you posted above, and the one of you holding Summer with your back to the camera. The first one though is my fav, I love her eyes in it.
Absolutely gorgeous photos!!!!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods February 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm

They are all precious. Love those baby blues!

Syndie February 28, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Gorgeous pictures Heather! Just must be thrilled with them. I love the first collage and the one with the bunny hat. How precious! She is adorable. I just got my Real Food book in the mail. I am starting it tonight. Keep you posted :)

Kelly February 28, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I just LOVE the one of her lying on her changing table (?) looking up. As much as I love black and white photographs, her blue eyes are just so striking. She is such a beautiful baby! :)

Alyssa February 28, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Oh. My. GOODNESS!!!!!!!!
She is so CUTE!!!!!!!!
I love ALL the photos, but my personal favorite is the one with the hat and that adorable smile!

Jessica - Dinners, Desserts, and More February 28, 2011 at 4:24 pm

They are all beautiful, but I like the one your posted and the one with your back to the camera. That one is precious!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm

The photos are unbelievable! I had to comment on Emily’s site too…they are just precious! Summer’s eyes are beautiful! Oh and rice pudding…I am a lover of all things rice pudding! YUM!

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse February 28, 2011 at 4:41 pm

They’re all so beautiful! I love the one with her name blocks, and the one showing those gorgeous blue eyes… but I think I like the last one best because it’s almost like that other lovely picture is watching over her :-)

courtney February 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I love them all, especially the color ones that show off her GORGEOUS blue eyes! She is beautiful, Heather!

Dorry February 28, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I love them all! I’m sure you feel the same way. :) I’ve been neglecting brown rice lately and eating more quinoa, but these dishes make me want to bring it back into the rotation.

Emily February 28, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I peeked at the pictures on Facebook. They’re all so good! She’s such a good photographer and you have photogenic family.

Glad you liked the pudding! I have a big sweet tooth so I’m not surprised it was a little sweet! :D I’m making some brown rice tonight and I’m going to try toasting the rice before I cook it. I’ve never done that before. I think it will make it nutty and delicious!

Sarah (The Rounded Teaspoon) February 28, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Gah, it’s so hard to choose! She is too cute. I think I love the one with the hat the most…but they’re all beautiful. Baby envy!

Sam February 28, 2011 at 5:31 pm

The family photos are overwhelmingly adorable. My favorites were the one with Summer looking over your shoulder and summer smiling with the letters next to her.

Melissa @ TryingToHeal February 28, 2011 at 5:33 pm

omg the one with the bunny beanie is soooo cute! but the one with her laying on her back and her eyes lit up is really good too!

and now i want rice. guess i should break out the rice maker.

Allison February 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I like the close up one where she’s laying on her back on the polka dot blanket sort of looking up. Such pretty blue eyes – all three of my girls had blue eyes until they where about 18 months old but only one of them kept them.

HEAB February 28, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Allison,
Really? So interesting. I always wonder when Summer’s eyes will be their final color. I’ve heard anywhere from 6 months to a year. Both CD and I have blue eyes, and so I’m thinking they’ll stay blue. We shall see. :)

Allison February 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm

They took a long time to change (ended up green) for whatever reason. I’m a blue and my husband is a green – neither of my parents had blue eyes but both my brother and I do . . . should have paid more attention in biology and maybe I’d understand how all that works. But I’m thinking that two blues can only end up with a blue. I’m sure there someone medical oriented on here that knows for sure. Her eyes are beautiful regardless!

Corey @ the runner's cookie February 28, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Wow, the pictures are so beautiful Heather. You have quite a photogenic family!! Emily is obviously a very talented photographer too. Your rice with coconut looks delicious – I never think to do anything but savory with rice, I need to branch out a little!

Namaste Gurl February 28, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Love the photos, sweet Heather. They are absolutely precious, sweet and heart- warming. You have one beautiful family (including you!) :)

Katie February 28, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Can’t pick just one. Speechless due to cute overload.

my little celebration February 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I really like your family photos! Emily did a great job once again.

Also, I thought of you this morning because I had your favorite oat bowl: cinnamon raisin “pudding” oatmeal, and it was delicious! Thanks for the recommendation.

lindsay February 28, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Summer looks like a beautiful doll. I love her expressions! thank you, made my day seeing such a beautiful family!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 28, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I’m not a huge fan of rice, but I am interested in trying rice pudding.

That photo is absolutely gorgeous, too!

Alisa Fleming February 28, 2011 at 6:34 pm
Sarah @ eatliveaustin February 28, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Beautiful photos! Summer is absolutely precious :)

I think I’ll have to try some Texmati. I’m assuming its grown in Texas so I would be supporting my own state. I’m used to short grain rice shipped over from who knows where (China?), long grain would be a change!

Moni'sMeals February 28, 2011 at 6:55 pm

First of all, this photo is hearting warming! Wow. :)

I want that rice pudding NOW please. Yum, what a great recipe indeed.

Kristina @ Life as Kristina February 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I want to try rice pudding!

That fam picture is GORGEOUS!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 28, 2011 at 7:45 pm

OMG, I absolutely LOVE that black and white family photo on this post!! It is beautiful! The three of you are a magazine-worthy, picture-perfect bundle of love and joy. :D

You are so lucky to have such quality photos of your baby growing up! She is going to be delighted to have such treasures when she is older.

WAIT… just loaded Emily’s web site while I was typing this. AMAZING! The pictures are wonderful. She is very talented, and Summer is such a beautiful baby. Her eyes are beyond gorgeous. So, so, so sweet! :)

Maren February 28, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I just like brown rice better than white. The flavor and texture is better.

Annie@stronghealthyfit February 28, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I like brown rice better, too. White rice has no flavor!
Just checked out the photos, they came out so well! Summer is amazingly stunning.

vanillasugarblog February 28, 2011 at 8:18 pm

i love brown rice! my whole foods has this multi-grain rice they use for making sushi rolls. my stars it’s good.
can’t believe how big your girl is getting….
one cute lil family going there sistah!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet February 28, 2011 at 8:29 pm

What a gorgeous photo!!!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free February 28, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I KNOW! That rice smells sooooo good (like popcorn!) when cooking :) :) :)

And summer looks adorable in all the pics! I especially love the one with her name on it, and she has the greatest smile and gorgeous deep blue eyes :)

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 28, 2011 at 8:41 pm

The coconut rice pudding sounds really refreshing! And that family portrait is just beautiful :)

Maren February 28, 2011 at 9:18 pm

awwww HEAB!!!! I love them all!! She is absolutely adorable! She just has a unique, gorgeous look to her! And her eyes…oh her eyes! Bright blue eyes and dark brown hair is just so pretty!! I like the bunny hat and the block letter ones the best! :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 28, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I am not going to lie, rice pudding is one of my absolute FAVORITE things and everyone is posting about it lately!! Now I am craving some like a beastyyy

Jennifer February 28, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Ok, so ALL of the pictures are gorgeous, because..well..Summer is in all of them! ;) But I LOVE the one where she is looking over your shoulder.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 28, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I totally agree with you — brown rice tastes soo much better than white. :)

Summer is too cute! I LOVE HER!

xoxo
Kathleen

Baking 'n' Books February 28, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Could y’all be even more perfect? Seriously?!

Subbing Stevia for sugar – how much usually? If a recipe calls for like a cup of sugar, how much stevia?…thanks :)

HEAB February 28, 2011 at 10:23 pm

B n B,
For the stevia baking blend, you sub an equal amount when the recipe calls for sugar. So 1 cup sugar = 1 cup of the baking blend. Regular powdered stevia is sweeter than sugar though and you should use a lot less. Depends on the brand of stevia and what you’re baking.

Alyssa February 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I love that one!! Rice pudding is my favorite and I almost always make it with coconut milk…so much more decadent!

Hannah February 28, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Ooh, do you think you could let us know how the rice pudding goes with brown rice? I bought brown rice recently for a savoury recipe and have been wondering how I could make it work for rice pudding :)

HEAB February 28, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Hannah,
I’ve used brown rice for puddings before, just not this particular recipe, and it works great. Definitely try it. :)

Timika Simpson February 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Love the family photo! Too cute!!

*Andrea* February 28, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Summer is SOOOOOOOO beautiful!!! just like her momma :)

charlotte February 28, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Oooh there’s no way I could pick just one! I don’t think Summer can take a bad pic! I love all her precious little expressions – that smile just melted my heart! And her confused face? So adorable! Love the one of her peeking over your shoulder too. Awww:)

Amber from Berlinswhimsy February 28, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I absolutely LOVE them all!!! How wonderful to have such creative and beautiful photos of your family. :-)

Baking Serendipity February 28, 2011 at 11:48 pm

I like brown rice over white as well. Gorgeous pictures!

Christin@purplebirdblog March 1, 2011 at 12:35 am

I love them all, but the one in the hat just steals my heart!! And I’m with you on the brown rice… the flavor and texture blow white rice out of the water!

Marty March 1, 2011 at 1:41 am

OMG – You want us to choose?!!!!!! They all adorable! I love the one of you three, but of Summer – with the bunnie ears hat it has to be! Emily is a wonderful photographer! xoxo m

michelle March 1, 2011 at 3:05 am

I don’t know how you’re going to choose. I think if I were you I would have to take them all. Emily is seriously talented at what she does and Summer is seriously talented at being super cute.

Mali K (The Mali K Whey) March 1, 2011 at 4:46 am

Anything “Lime and Coconut” is a winner for me at the moment!

Lena March 1, 2011 at 5:13 am

Oh my Gosh! it’s too hard to pick a fav photo! they are all so good and they all capture the beautiful essence of Summer! She is the most adorable!!! take them all if i were you!!! :)

Lauren March 1, 2011 at 8:36 am

Oh my goodness, Heather! They are all breath taking! You are so blessed. :)

kate@ahealthypassion March 1, 2011 at 9:49 am

LOVEE rice and yours looks delicious. That picture of your little family is gorgeous I love all of the pictures you get done, so important to savor every second!

Lauren (PB&G) March 1, 2011 at 10:29 am

Both the chickpea sauce rice and the rice pudding look fantastic! I’m a biiiiig rice lover myself. I’ll go weeks without eating it and once I start I crave it for about a week straight!

I love the photo of your family, too!

Nana March 1, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I love the one of her on the dotted blanket looking up, but not at the camera. beautiful.

also, do you think if you make the pudding with brown rice that you would need more liquid/more cooking time? I am also going to try it with oat bran :)

I will always thank you for converting me to almond butter, oat bran, and any kind of oat with coconut :) :)

Nana

HEAB March 1, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Nana,
Love hearing from almond butter and oat bran converts. I wouldn’t think you would need more liquid for brown rice – but your cooking time just may be a little less. Just cook until thick and enjoy! :)

Sarah March 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Brown rice is the best, but that coconut rice pudding looks amazing! Adorable family photo :)

Marie-Sophie March 1, 2011 at 3:07 pm

LOVE the one where she is laughing into the camera with her name spelt out in colourful letters !! And I really think that cutting down on sugar even half the time really is worth a lot. I have hypoglycemia and even though doctors always suggest to “eat some dextrose when you feel like you’re really low in sugar” – well, yeah, it’s actually (almost) the worst you can do. Spikes your blood sugar and makes it even lower half an hour later. So it’s actually better to cut out/down on simple sugars, adding more complex carbs, fat and protein to keep blood sugar levels stable and not let the insulin get crazy!!

And yes, I am currently about to hop onto the unsweetened chocolate bandwagon :-) .

HEAB March 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Marie-Sophie,
Don’t you just want to knock some sense into doctors sometimes? I really wish they received more nutritional training…and the RIGHT nutritional training. ;)

P.S. I love your name. :)

Ashley March 1, 2011 at 9:20 pm

That family photo was my ABSOLUTE favorite. Although they are all fabulous + completely precious.