Unsweetened Chocolate Ideas

by HEAB on March 2, 2011

Amy requested a post with ideas for using unsweetened baking chocolate and cocoa powder. Amy, this one’s for you. :)

You can make Chocolate Covered Katie’s Red Velvet Pancakes, which I made into waffles. I tried blending a roasted beet into the batter to make them red, but Hershey’s dark cocoa powder is so dark, that none of the red color showed up (and no, you can’t taste the beet). I didn’t add any sweetener to the batter, and the waffles turned out light, airy, super chocolatey, and super delicious. Thanks Katie!

I frosted my waffles with 1 ounce cream cheese mixed with 4 vanilla stevia drops and 1 TBSP heavy whipping cream + cinnamon. Nicole, good call on adding the whipping cream. YUM!

Other chocolatey ideas…

201103021038.jpg

Chocolate Brown Rice Bread topped with homemade chocolate coconut butter (simply add 4 whole squares of Bakers unsweetened chocolate to the food processor when making the coconut butter. I made a batch for my friend Nadia, and it was so good. No sugar needed as the coconut lends its own natural sweetness.)

201103021043.jpg

Almond Butter Banana Nut Muffins with unsweetened Bakers chocolate chunks

201103021044.jpg

Chocado Sauce/Pudding

Replace the dark chocolate chips with unsweetened Bakers chocolate in my Coconut Cream Pie

201103021048.jpg

Besides eating Baker’s chocolate straight up, 2-Ingredient Fudge is probably my favorite use for it.

201103021049.jpg

Cocoa powder works great in my Hot Chocolate Soup

201103021050.jpg

How about using unsweetened Bakers chocolate chunks in my HEABified Peppermint Bark?

201103021053.jpg

And last, but not least, one of my favorite uses for both unsweetened Bakers chocolate and cocoa powder is Alex’s Grain Free Bitter Chocolate Cake recipe.

That should keep all you unsweetened chocolate lovers busy for a while. ;)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 2, 2011 at 12:09 pm

The Grain-free bitter chocolate cake looks heavenly! Like little blobs of brownie batter or something equally delicious. Not sure if I wouldn’t be tempted to add some sweetener, though! :D

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats March 2, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I really need to make the chocolate brown rice bread!

Lisa March 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Wow, I want to try them ALL! I’m addicted to your banana muffins, need to make those again (haven’t had much luck finding good bananas this winter). Also, I have to tell you – I bought some tahini and now I put it on EVERYTHING. Last night I wasn’t feeling great and wanted a small dinner, so I cooked up some Alexia sweet potato waffle fries and drizzled some tahini over them – delicious, healthy, and just filling enough. Thanks for all these great ideas! And more Summer pics please – she’s adorable, can’t get enough! xo

Victoria (District Chocoholic) March 2, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Homemade chocolate nut butter. Especially with some of the sweeter nuts (almonds :) !). And of course, these all look good and I totally approve.

Especially if done with Teuscher or Scharffen Berger unsweetened chocolate.

Mandy (theamazonprincess) March 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Ugh I MUST make those waffles! So good. I’m not so much a pancake fan, but I ADORE waffles. :D

Gen March 2, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Great ideas!!!
I’ve bookmarked pretty much all of them already! =D

Jillian Babbel March 2, 2011 at 12:22 pm

OMG! These all look AMAZING!

I seriously think I’m going to try ALL of them!

chocolate-covered katie March 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Oh my. I think those waffles look like the most delicious specimens of food I’ve ever seen. Surely as far as breakfast is concerned anyways.

And how did I miss your almond banana muffins????? No truly, how??? I must go check these out.

This is one of my favorite posts ever (of anyone’s blog). Why? Well, just look at the subject hehe :) .

Eimear Rose March 2, 2011 at 12:44 pm

So many beautiful and simple recipes! I bought a giant sweet potato on my lunch break today, I’m going to use some to finally make the grain free chocolate cake. It will make a great end of week treat- something to look forward to!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 2, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Yum! Thanks for all these great ideas! I’d like to slowwwwly wean myself off sugar…but it will be tough!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 2, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I don’t even know where to begin…now I want chocolate!

Ricki March 2, 2011 at 1:06 pm

You know, they all sound good, but I can’t help thinking, “just add a little sweetness. . . “! Just a wee bit? I used to eat unsweetened chocolate straight up near the beginning of the anti-candida diet, but that was only because I hadn’t figured out how to sweeten it yet. ;) As someone who used to pig out on milk chocolate, bittersweet (ie, unsweetened with my own sweetener added) is about as “bitter” as I can take. Maybe I’ll evolve eventually!! :D

Steph @VegFortWorth March 2, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Yum! I’m loving all these ideas, and talking about sugar really got me thinking about ways to reduce it in my diet. I don’t eat much sugar because I rarely crave it, but it’s always good to pay attention.

I bought an 85% dark chocolate Lindt bar today! Yum!

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey March 2, 2011 at 1:08 pm

This post is fabulous!! Oh man, so many wonderful chocolate-y ideas. Thanks for compiling them. I can’t wait to start experimenting. :)

Ana March 2, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Holy chocolatiness!! What an awesome collection of cocoa goodness Heather!
I am craving chocolate right now just by looking at your pics. I must buy some unsweetened bakers, never tried it before. I always get the 70% chocolates, but you convinced me to try the bakers one with this post… I see fudge in my future! :-)

Little Bookworm March 2, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Love all the chocolate ideas! I only have 90% chocolate at the moment but I am definitely trying Katie’s pancakes soon! Oh and your 2-ingredient fudge is just an absolutely amazing recipe! :D

kate@ahealthypassion March 2, 2011 at 1:35 pm

im drooling over here thanks for all of the delicious chocolate recipes I just need to decide which one to try first!

nadia March 2, 2011 at 1:38 pm

wow!! those waffles look beautiful… I must try and find hershey’s dark cocoa – haven’t see it anywhere..hmm. so I decided not to eat any chocolate today because I have been eating so-o-o much lately – and I almost immediately after that checked your blog. I had to laugh -obviously now this will be impossible. .:) hehe… also need to photograph my chocolate-coconut butter before it’s all gone, been eating it like a fiend!! xxo

april March 2, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Mmm chocolate! I love Hersheys dark chocolate cocoa powder.. I’ll never go back to regular!

nadia March 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Heather, don’t do this to me- I decided I wouldn’t eat chocolate today (been eating so-o-o much everyday) Those waffles look beautiful. I need to get some hershey’s “dark” cocoa, haven’t seen it anywhere … And need to photograph my chocolate coconut butter before it’s all gone!!! (been eating it like a fiend :)

nadia March 2, 2011 at 1:53 pm

oops! my computer is being weird today and I dont know how to delete!

Christin@purplebirdblog March 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I saw a variation yesterday that someone did of the bitter chocolate cake made with half cocoa and half carob… I am so in. Also, did you make coconut butter with carob powder in it? I keep thinking I saw that somewhere in the blog world and can’t remember where… I’m totally gonna do it! :D

HEAB March 2, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Christin,
I made coconut butter with carob chips. It was so good! http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/12/23/carob-bliss/

Christin@purplebirdblog March 2, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I had a feeling it was you! ;) You think it would work with carob powder?

HEAB March 2, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Yes, I don’t see why not. I would start out with a couple of TBSP, and then add more as needed. Let me know how it goes. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog March 2, 2011 at 8:52 pm

You know I will! :)

Corey @ the runners cookie March 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm

The waffles look delicious – I love less sweet chocolate breakfasts and deserts! Today I used a coupon to try what were called “Cha Cha’s” (spicy chocolate cookies) from Lark Fine Foods and I thought of you, Heather :)

HEAB March 2, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Corey,
I googled the Cha Cha’s – yep, those sound right up my alley. Would also love to try the salted rosemary shortbread. Wow!

Mali K (The Mali K Whey) March 2, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I wish I could find Unsweetened Chocolate here in South Africa, but alas, it seems not to exist! The highest I’ve been able to find is 88%.

My senses are overwhelmed by the chocolatey goodness of this post! I definitely want to try the 2-ingredient fudge – looks right up my alley!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 2, 2011 at 2:56 pm

All that DARK chocolate looks so good! I love sweets (as you know) but some times, just plain, really dark, unsweetened desserts can actually be just perfect.

All of these look amazing…thanks for the re-linkage!

I just posted a re-link to my no-bake chocolate donut holes. Raw, vegan, GF, and you could probably omit the tiny tiny amount of maple syrup I added and just use coconut oil. Actually, I may try that :)

This post is making me hungry!!!!!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day March 2, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Wow! These are all great…. I made a sugar free coconut chocolate banana pie that is in my freezer, I did sweeten with stevia.. I’ll probably cut into it tomorrow.

VEGirl March 2, 2011 at 3:18 pm

OOOOhhh they all look so good! These certainly WILL keep me busy for a while. Another way I like to indulge in unsweetened chocolate is just sprinkling cocoa powder on some foods like you might use cinnamon. That’s how I ate my oatmeal this morning :) .

Speaking of chocolate- thanks again for those Justin’s nut butters. I am hoarding my last couple of them! They are insanely delicious– sweet, salty, nutty, chocolatey. AKA: heaven.

VEGirl

Marie-Sophie March 2, 2011 at 3:21 pm

YEY! Now that I am trying out unsweetened chocolate stuff – I get some recipes on top! :-)
By the way, thanks Heather for complementing on my name! I am German but have a quite common French name (read: Germans get confused and French get excited, covering me in French and then get confused as well) and I love it!! I’ve never met another Marie-Sophie in person :-) . It should be really exciting to meet one at some stage, though.
Thanks for all the recipes – the weekend is going to be VERY chocolaty!

Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) March 2, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Thanks for compiling this list, Heather! I love dark chocolate. I’m still trying to get accustomed to unsweetened!

Are those waffles heart-shaped? Because that is sooo cute!

HEAB March 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Kayla,
Yep, I’ve got a heart shaped waffle maker. :)

Miranda (Untamed Kitchen) March 2, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Mmmm, these recipes look amazing. I’ve been meaning to try Alex’s Chocolate Cake for awhile now. Thanks for reminding me, Heather! If anyone is into chocolate truffles, I posted a recipe of some yesterday that are sugar and dairy free…using Baker’s chocolate!

Heather March 2, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Sooo many new recipes to try!

I have been melting coconut oil, coconut butter and sugar free dark chocolate together for a coconut oil chocolate/fudge…but your 2 ingredient fudge sounds even better!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins March 2, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Be still my heart, those almond butter banana muffins look amazing. Muffins are my absolute favoritest baked good to make and I plan on baking those bad boys STAT!

Baking 'n' Books March 2, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I attest to the banana nut muffins – they are the bomb!!!!

…except I’m pretty sure I used milk chocolate…still counts right? :)

Hannah March 2, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I just discovered that I’ve copy-pasted your 2-ingredient fudge into the same word document of “to-make” recipes four times. I think it’s time to actually make it! :P

Christine (The Raw Project) March 2, 2011 at 5:36 pm

The pancakes sound amazing, I need to try those.

The Dainty Pig March 2, 2011 at 5:41 pm

You are my hero.
Enough said.

Nicole March 2, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I’m so glad you tried my frosting idea!! And I’m glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!! This post made me want to lick my computer…

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free March 2, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I LOVE unsweetened chocolate!!!! Seriously it is the best! I just bought another four packages of Baker’s today ;)

And I am so glad you are loving my grain-free bitter chocolate cake recipe :) :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss March 2, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I looveee using chocolate in just about anything but many times it does come out way too bitter..in which case I’ll add a bit of maple syrup and cinnamon. Surprisingly it really brings out the flavor.

Heather @ kissmybroccoli March 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I just tried Katie’s Red Velvet Pancakes on Sunday and they were out of this world amazing!! And of course you already know my fondness of chocado sauce! ;)

I finally got another can of coconut milk so I can try your 2 ingredient fudge!

Maren March 2, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I’ve bookmarked this page! It’s the best blog post I’ve read in a while. I want everything on the list!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 2, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I adore Baker’s Chocolate! Thank you for all of these links to your Chocolatey recipes! :) Alex’s Bitter Cake is one of my favorite too! :)

xoxo
Kathleen

Amy March 2, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I can not wait to try these out. Thank you! I can not believe how much I have grown to love unsweetened chocolate…it is so satisfying. Sometimes, I even dip a Baker’s slice into some almond butter for a filling yet decadent dessert :)

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos March 2, 2011 at 9:25 pm

i love how you are able to find ways to enjoy chocolate without all the dairy! love love it, esp. since i’m always looking for healthy dairy free chocolate recipes!! hehehe :) .

hope you and the baby girl are doing well :) . hug!

Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten-free March 2, 2011 at 11:54 pm

I love all these ideas! I cannot wait until I finally have my own kitchen to cook in and can finally make all these recipes I have bookmarked!

Emily March 3, 2011 at 1:18 am

I think Bakers needs to sponsor your blog. :)

HEAB March 3, 2011 at 8:31 am

Emily,
I know, right? They should be knocking down my door. It’s funny b/c I’ve tried all the fancy schmancy unsweetened chocolates, but I always go back to my Bakers. Definitely my favorite!

michelle March 3, 2011 at 2:10 am

Oh this post just reminded me to make 2 ingredient fudge! Do you think it would work with very low fat coconut milk?

HEAB March 3, 2011 at 8:23 am

Michelle,
Not sure, I don’t think the fudge would “set” as well with light coconut milk. I’ve never tried it, but I think others have…although there is nothing wrong with 2-Ingredient Fudge sauce. ;)

megan @ the oatmeal diaries March 3, 2011 at 2:51 am

What a DELICIOUS post!! I am dying to make that “chocado” sauce!

Lorne March 3, 2011 at 4:10 am

Oh Heather, you bad girl!! I am sitting here at 10pm drooling over all those photos.

Pure2raw Twins March 3, 2011 at 7:17 am

YUM Just when I am taking chocolate out of my food plan for awhile this makes me really want some chocolate ;)

carolinebee March 3, 2011 at 9:05 am

OMMMMMMYYYYY goodness…..who needs chocolate when u have those Summer pics to drool over alll dayy!?!?!! :D SO precious!!!
It’s so wild how your taste buds adjust to dark chocolate…now milk chocolate is just a little too much for me!! Although I did try the mini reeses last night….because i mean, they’re new…I had to test them out for quality control!! ;D

Sophie March 3, 2011 at 11:58 am

All of these tasty chocolate recipes rock my tastebuds, Heather!!

Now, How to choose? It is impossible!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables March 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Ahhhhh which recipe do I want to try?!? well, obviously all of them. I think I’ll start with the chocolate coconut butter. Yummm

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods March 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Great tips for adding cocoa! I recently made spicy, dark chocolate almond butter where all I added was cocoa powder and chipotle spice. Was awesome!

Monica March 3, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Haha, I love all your creations and this post is such a great example of all the healthy deliciousness that comes from your blog!

Cate March 4, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Heather, I totally blame you for my new addiction to Baker’s unsweetened chocolate. :D No, really, thanks though; those little squares are surprisingly satisfying!