Inspired by Nadia, I made quinoa flour this morning.
I simply toasted some quinoa on a foil lined baking sheet in a 350℉ toaster oven until I could smell it – 5 to 10 minutes maybe? I then ground the grains into flour in my Vita-Mix. I used the dry blade, but I’ve made flour with the wet blade before, no problem. Also, I don’t know if this will work in other blenders, but if you try it, you may need to stop blending and stir the grains around with a fork a few times.
For lunch I used the flour to make a coconut roti (flat bread), and ate it along with some lentil stew.
The roti recipe is so simple, and I loved the taste. However, you’ll have to wait for Nadia to post her recipe.
EDITED TO ADD: The recipe for coconut roti is as follows:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dehydrated coconut /fresh grated coconut
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 finely chopped onion
- Mix all of the above with enough cold water to form a dough.
- Make 3-4 small balls out of the dough.
- Heat up some coconut oil in a pan and press each individual dough ball out – whilst on the pan (probably a griddle is better but pan works if you don’t have one)
- Press them out a thin as possible while its cooking /flip etc and take it off when it’s cooked / crispy to your satisfaction.
Quinoa flour experiment #2 was Nadia’s Wild Blueberry Chocolate Cake, but alas, blueberries are too expensive around these parts at the moment, and so I made the cake with pumpkin instead. For my version, I used HEABified coconut milk, and I toasted my coconut. It turned out very chocolatey and a little dry…perfect for crumbling atop some warm pumpkin…
Look, I’m like just like Moses…
The Parting of the Chocolate Cake
I’ve decided I’m going to stop buying packaged flours and make my own when I can, including chickpea, millet, and brown rice flour. Reason #487 why I love my Vita-Mix. Speaking of Vita-Mixes, through March 31, their reconditioned models are on sale (which is what I have). You can click here for more info, and just so you know, I am not affiliated with the company in any way, just happy to spread the love of my favorite appliance. ♥