Guess The Ingredient

by HEAB on March 4, 2011

Summer and I joined my friend Molly and her beautiful baby daughter, Lillian, for a 4-mile walk this morning. It’s so nice to be able to walk outside now that we’re getting some warmer weather. I love it! Both babies were perfectly behaved the whole time, and when we got home, I fed Summer, put her down for her afternoon nap, and then made myself a really good lunch. Wanna see?

See those yellow crouton looking things on top? How about a closer look?

Know what they are? Well, they’re not croutons, or any kind of meat, or tofu, or polenta. Nope, they’re chickpea tofu and so delicious. Really, you guys gotta make this! I got the idea from Melody…whom I’ve decided I love. :)

The recipe is unbelievably easy. Simply whisk about 2/3 cup garbanzo bean flour into 1 cup cold water along with a pinch of salt. Then cook it over medium heat while whisking until the batter starts to pull away from the sides of the pot, about 5 minutes. It will resemble pudding..

IMG_7457.JPG IMG_7458.JPG

I then poured it into a greased glass Pyrex dish and refrigerated for a couple of hours.

For lunch, I simply cut my tofu into cubes and pan fried it in a little ghee. I then added a few handfuls of spinach. Once the spinach was cooked down, I threw everything in a bowl and topped it with canned wild salmon, a few beets, a drizzle of tahini, and fresh ground pepper. Delicious and another great use for garbanzo bean flour.

Next up is cereal. However, I can’t decided between Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Cocoa Crunch. Perhaps I’ll make both. :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats March 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm

This is brilliant. I am going to try it with some white bean flour I have that I just cannot love. Fortunately it was not expensive – i bought it when trying to cut b ack on chickpeas which had seriously become part of every single meal I had every single day and I was starting to become intolerant to chickpeas. Sadly white bean flour is nowhere near as tasty as chickpea flour.

emily (a nutritionist eats) March 4, 2011 at 2:51 pm

What a great idea! I think I’ll try it with my garbanzo/fava bean flour!

Jenn @ Frost Bites March 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Very innovative….worth trying. Thanks for sharing.

rebecca lustig March 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Wow! SO innovative, and seems easy enough. I love switching things up.

Have a great Friday :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 4, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I want to make BOTH cinnamon toast crunch and cocoa crunch. I have been eying those both too :)

Melody’s recipe…oh wow, that is genius! I don’t have garbanzo bean flour so havent made any socca or any crackers yet and now I could make chickpea tofu. That would be wonderful…

I just posted yesterday about chickpea recipes! Seems chickpeas (and flour) is going around. I need to get the flour!

Congrats on your 4 mile walk w/ your friend…we ALL need those meetups :)

Corey @ The Runner's Cookie March 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Those look so soft and pillowy!! How creative – after seeing this and Ashley’s recent posts I really need to get my hands on some garbanzo bean flour!

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews March 4, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I love beets! And your lunch looks delicious!

Mama Pea March 4, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Cinnamon Toast Crunch! Make it a double batch :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 4, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I vote that you make both :)

britt will be fit March 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm

They both look so good!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss March 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Wow, Summer sounds like the perfect little child- a nice walk and an immediate, quite nap. Lucky mommy! :)

meghan @ struggle muffins March 4, 2011 at 4:08 pm

So simple and yet so brilliant! I wish I had thought of chickpea tofu!

natalie (the sweets life) March 4, 2011 at 4:17 pm

genius!
i have the bowl and i love it :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I saw this before and wasn’t sure if it would work. I guess I need to try it now! Sadly I am out of flour…I need to fix that problem.

Cailin @ Stir Crazy March 4, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Chickpea tofu… what a fantastic idea! I bet it’s delicious.

Sarah’s cinnamon toast crunch has also been on my list of things to make :)

Ana March 4, 2011 at 5:11 pm

That sounds really good Heather, and I have seen similar recipes but they are called Chickpea Polenta!
Had tons of chickpeas in my salad today in both natural and humus form, I love chickpeas, never get tired of them!

Samantha March 4, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I love that bowl, where’s it front?

Awaiting the cinnamon toast crunch experiment. :)

HEAB March 4, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Samantha,
The bowl is from Anthropologie. I love it too. :)

Samantha March 4, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Geez, I can’t write this morning! I stopped perusing anthro when I discovered shopruche.com , maybe I need to go look!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day March 4, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Love it! I bake mine too and make really crispy almost potato like things out fo them!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 4, 2011 at 5:46 pm

That is so creative! It sounds delish. I bet it’s equally good with black bean flour.

I’m so happy that you enjoyed your walk. That sounds like the perfect, relaxing exercise. You are going to have the best times when spring and summer (the season!!) are officially here! :)

A Teenage Gourmet March 4, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I have a bad of chickpea flour that I bought for a sweet potato falafel recipe a year ago. Thank goodness for all of your ideas, because it really needs to be used! I LOVE your creativity.

Christin@purplebirdblog March 4, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Whoa, that’s awesome! It’s it spongy like tofu or more dense in texture?

HEAB March 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm

More dense. I am not a fan of the texture of tofu, and the chickpea version is not nearly as slimy and no pressing necessary. Loved it!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy March 4, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Cinnamon Toast Crunch is my favorite cereal of all time so thanks for linking to that recipe!!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 4, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Such a cool idea! I am totally trying that out!

Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race March 4, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Genius. Pure Genius and going into the Must Use File.

Thank you for sharing.

Since you are walking you might be interested in the Cupcake Marathon where walking is more than acceptable.

Here is the link, and yes you can win cupcakes and get them in VEGAN version which was a must before I agreed to allow Sugared Bakery to sponsor the event.

Jason
Cook Train Eat Race

HEAB March 4, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Jason,
Just read about the Cupcake Marathon – fun idea…too bad I’m giving up sugar for Lent. ;)

Eleanor@eatiglikeahorse March 4, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Go for the cinnamon! I made it, or something resembling it, and even burnt to a crisp (forgot it was cooking!) it was delicious :-)
Home-made tofu’s a great idea too – thanks!

Kaleigh March 4, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Awesome “tofu”! I’m excited to give this one a try!

Hannah March 4, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Heather, you’re doing it again! Tempting me with the chickpea flour recipes when it’s the coconut flour I bought because of you! Alack, alas! :P

P.S. I’m not really fussed… I’ve been making big servings of coconut cream almost every night and eating them with a spoon like pudding :P

Baking 'n' Books March 4, 2011 at 7:32 pm

You are loving on this chickpea flour!! Where did it come from all of a sudden – seeing it on a lot of blogs.

…does it make you “gassy” though? ;) Sorry, I have to ask.

Do you call it a “tofu” because of the texture??

I thought it was cauliflower :) WRONG!

Katie March 4, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I made the cinnamon crackers last weekend. It was my first attempt at using garbanzo flour. Before socca even. Which reminds me…still need to make some of that.

jen @ taste life March 4, 2011 at 8:29 pm

That looks fantastic! What a great idea.

Also, I’ve been dying to make one of those cereals/crackers, too!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 4, 2011 at 8:30 pm

That is such a GREAT idea! I love it!

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) March 4, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I’m so sorry I haven’t commented lately!!! I’ve still been reading all your posts (I loved the unsweetened chocolate one – and, of course, all the rest!) I just haven’t had a lot of time to comment :(

Your “tofu” looks so good! I really want to try that!

Have an amazingly fantastic weekend! :D

Gina March 4, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Genius! And I’m sure it was much more flavorful than tofu :)

Paula March 4, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Oh Heather, I love it! I even have garbonzo bean flour right now. I can’t wait to give it a try!!

Kiran March 4, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I love your enthusiasm for ghee :) I am a proud Indian!

nadia March 4, 2011 at 11:35 pm

what a cool idea!! I want to try that – I just ate a ton of tofu and felt like “ohh too much soy *groan*”.!! (and the above comment just reminded me that I need to a be a proud (1/4 indian) and get some ghee dang it! I keep forgetting!
—I cant wait to see the cereal experiments (too scared to try them till I see you doing it ;P

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 4, 2011 at 11:38 pm

That is absolutely BRILLIANT! :D You are so smart Heather! :D

I would go with the Cinnamon Toast Crunch myself! ;)

xoxo
Kathleen

Melissa @ TryingToHeal March 5, 2011 at 12:33 am

i have no excuse not to try this! think using a veg broth and adding some spices would give it some flavor? i got some fresh herbs in my produce box and i need to use it up!

kinda reminds me of polenta… :D

LEna March 5, 2011 at 3:55 am

totally ingenious! that tofu chickpea! :) ))
i’d go for the cinnamon toast crunch anytime!!! :) )))
summer’s so adorable!!! :)

kathleen March 5, 2011 at 8:56 am

make both!

Mali K (The Mali K Whey) March 5, 2011 at 11:06 am

How perfect, I just bought chickpea flour 2 days ago! Definitely going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing :D

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 5, 2011 at 11:24 am

No. way. That is absolutely freaking genius! I am not a big fan of tofu so this is an amazing alternative. Thanks girl!:)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood March 5, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Oh gosh I love anything tofu! I’ve even had egg tofu too! Which was surprisingly… delicious. But then again, it’s tofu ;)

chrysta March 5, 2011 at 5:16 pm

What a cool idea! I love tofu and this spin on it is really interesting. Have a great weekend!

Parita@myinnershakti March 5, 2011 at 6:47 pm

WOW! That’s such a great idea! Thanks for sharing. :)

Sophie March 9, 2011 at 7:03 am

What a great & neat idea! I have never seen this before, but will make this soon! Chickpea flour is so good too! What a tasty salad!

MMMMMM,…!!!

Sophie March 9, 2011 at 7:09 am

Amber from Berlinswhimsy March 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Heather, I wanted to make that vegan casserole you wrote about today and try this crust with it. I didn’t have any garbanzos around, however, so I made it with millet flour (I just ground up some millet). It worked perfectly!! Thanks for the inspiration! :-)

Erika Bryant March 23, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Wow. I made the chic pea tofu. Amazing. I sauteed mine in butter and added garlic powder and an all purpose seasoning. I was so surprised by the taste. This is something that I will be making. I cannot tolerate soy so this is awesome. Now I’m just wondering if you could make a cheesecake out of this. Hmmmm.

{ 1 trackback }