A Very Edible Breakfast

by HEAB on March 7, 2011

Yesterday, I met up with Heather for lunch at The Turnip Truck. I love Heather, and I LOOOVVVEEE the Turnip Truck. Everything on the hot & cold bar is so fresh, and it’s cheaper per pound than Whole Foods….which makes CD a very happy boy. :)

We had a great time talking over some really random plates of food…

I couldn’t decide between breakfast and lunch, and so I piled my plate with collard greens, roasted cauliflower, baked fish, bacon, and sausage…after all, bacon makes everything better.

Heather and I were talking about some of our favorite bloggers (Hey Christin!). Ashley’s name kept coming up, and I mentioned that I’d had her buckwheat bake bookmarked for forever, and Heather told me I must try the coconut stuffed version. So I made it for breakfast this morning but didn’t have all the ingredients on hand. Therefore, had to HEABify a bit…

Instead of buckwheat, I used oat groats and HEABified coconut milk rather than almond milk. There were no bananas or blueberries to be found in our kitchen, and so I subbed about 1/2 cup canned pumpkin for both and used NuNaturals vanilla stevia drops in place of the maple syrup (7 drops). My toppings were more coconut cream and cinnamon.

For some reason, my vegan baked goods always come out looking like chicken patties. I blame the pumpkin.

Thanks to Heather for reminding me to try this (click here for her version) and many thanks to Ashley for sharing such a delicious recipe! I loved the coconut cream layer in the middle, and I’m already thinking of different variations. Next up is a dark chocolate stuffed oat bake topped with tahini. I can’t wait!

Speaking of chocolate and tahini…

Yesterday’s mystery breakfast was toasted quinoa flour cooked in water. It was so creamy and cooked up in less than 10 minutes. Perfect for a cold Sunday morning!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) March 7, 2011 at 9:33 am

This post makes me want to try making tahini truffles. Or tahini brownies. Brilliant combo.

Maryann (The Balanced Bean) March 7, 2011 at 9:36 am

The Turnip Truck sounds great! WF hot bar is my weakness but so expensive. Ah and I have tahini but yet to have combined it with chocolate…I need to do that!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 7, 2011 at 9:40 am

Sounds like a fun outing! I am glad everyone is loving the coconut cream! I need to try the bake…I haven’t had time just yet, but now I know I need to make it!

jen @ taste life March 7, 2011 at 9:58 am

So good to know you can use oat groats! I haven’t been able to find buckwheat groats and I’ve been wanting to make this recipe. Thanks for testing it out for me!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats March 7, 2011 at 10:14 am

I have so many of Ashley’s buckwheat bakes bookmarked. Good to know pumpkin would work. I have a third of a can of pumpkin in my fridge right now.

Natalia - a side of simple March 7, 2011 at 10:20 am

Your breakfast bake totally looks like the chicken patties from middle school!! I used to love getting them every other Tuesday. I’ll just keep that as a good memory from the past and not “really” think about it… haha

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 7, 2011 at 10:22 am

Looks like a great breakfast!

Pamela March 7, 2011 at 10:31 am

So, I have been so intrigued by your tahini/Baker’s chocolate breakfasts that I just had to try it. I was skeptical – before adding the chocolate, my otherwise normal breakfast (bananas, vanilla, apricots, almonds, pepitas) did not seem a likely match with tahini. Then I added the magical combo and O. M. G. This is SUCH a good breakfast (I’m currently consuming it while catching up on my Reader at work). Thank you for the inspiration. Also – I’m a fellow Nashvillian!

Stefanie March 7, 2011 at 10:36 am

Tahini and chocolate. . . I am going to have to try it soon. The breakfast bake sounds good. It is something I have wanted to try but just never got around to trying.

Katie March 7, 2011 at 10:38 am

I want to drive around in a turnip truck all day long.

Kelly March 7, 2011 at 11:25 am

Oh I love Ashley..she is amazing and has some of the best recipes the blog world has to offer (in my opinion!) haha!

Baking N Books March 7, 2011 at 11:34 am

I was waiting for the secret ingredient! Looks like cream of wheat.

I love the pic! The coconut cream looks like it’s in the middle layer and oozing out….mmmm…coconut cream filling….:)

Christin@purplebirdblog March 7, 2011 at 11:52 am

You just made my morning with that shoutout! xoxoxo I love my Heathers the mostest!

Ashley March 7, 2011 at 11:59 am

Aww, you ladies are too cute. Glad you liked the bake, HEAB style!! If the oat groats didn’t soften up enough for your liking, I would grind them up into flour. Buckwheat groats are really different than any other I’ve seen. You can eat them raw no problem and they soften up much easier. Hope you have a great week!!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods March 7, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Turnip Truck, wha? I want to go to there! Sounds right up my alley!

nadia March 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm

wow! I would have never guessed quinoa flour!! I thought it was grits, I have to try this!

lindsay March 7, 2011 at 12:14 pm

What lovely heathers! Some southern bells for sure! And I agree, I love all those bloggers.
Can’t believe that was quinoa flour. NICE JOB!

Lauren March 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Cool! I was thinking it was blended amaranth or something…;)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Wow the toasted quinoa flour looks like cream of wheat when it’s cooked like that. YUM!

Ana March 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I also have been eyeing Ashley’s bakes since she started posting them, and the one with coconut cream inside was the one I wanted to make!
Great idea using oat groats Heather!!
The one thing I haven’t found around here yet is the raw buckwheat, all I can find is kasha (the toasted groats). Maybe I will order online, because I really wanted to try that. Although now I might try with oat groats first, hehe!!

Jen March 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Looks delicious!!!!

britt will be fit March 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm

the breakfast looks like dessert!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 7, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I KNEW it was cooked quinoa. I just knew it :) I even said it in my comment, looked like cream of wheat but knowing you, it was probably cream of quinoa :)

And meeting Heather…I would love to meet BOTH of you Heathers in person. Heather times two :) And it would be great!

Lol’ing about your vegan baked goods looking like chicken patties…you could rectify that by just adding copious amounts of cocoa powder :)

Kiran March 7, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I’m intrigued with tahini and chocolate combo :)

Namaste Gurl March 7, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I love all of Ashley’s amazing buckwheat bakes….well, and all her other recipes, too! Glad you enjoyed it. She sure knows what she’s talking about when it comes to yummy food:)

alli March 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm

what a fun outing! food makes everything better ;)

ps:
o-mmmmm-g! i made the cinnamon toast crunch cereal yesterday- so good! is it bad that i ate the entire pan? with such a big lunch, i went with oaties for dinner- made for a happy hubby. my happiness over oaties goes without saying ;)

Courtney March 7, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Mmm, buckwheat bakes. I actually tinkered with Ashley’s recipe (a lot!) and made something similar but with oat bran and banana. If you make it with a flax egg and underbake it, it’s kinda like eating vegan muffin batter for breakfast, topped with my copycat recipe for PB&Co’s cinnamon raisin swirl pb. So good! Perhaps I should try that with the peanut butter baked into the middle?

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 7, 2011 at 7:06 pm

J’adore collard greens. Why have I never had them for breakfast?!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss March 7, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I could eat breakfast foods any time of the day..so a breakfast/lunch mix sounds awesome!

Kate Horning March 7, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I still cant get over how good your breakfast yesterday looks mmm I could definitely eat that right now.

Annie@stronghealthyfit March 7, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Quinoa flour? I never would have guessed that!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 7, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Toasted Quinoa Flour!!!! That is absolutely AWESOME!!! :D

xoxo
Kathleen

Hannah March 7, 2011 at 9:52 pm

OMG I GOT IT RIGHT! Quinoa flour! Squee!!! I’m more impressed with myself right now than I should be…

Emily March 7, 2011 at 10:20 pm

It wouldn’t be a heabified version if it didn’t include or look like it included meat of some sorts :) More Summer pics soon, too! Can’t get enough of that cute girl of yours :)

Courtney March 7, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Yum! love quinoa :)

Kristina @ Life as Kristina March 7, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Looks like a great time-def jealous over the meet up and meal!

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey March 7, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Aw, it looks like you two had so much fun!! I love Heather–both of you! :) Your food looks awesome, and it’s cool that you cooked up quinoa flour. You are quite the genius. I’ve also had my eye on that coconut cream-stuffed buckwheat bake, but I don’t have buckwheat or coconut flour. :(

Heather @ kissmybroccoli March 8, 2011 at 12:21 am

Wow, your bake looks incredible…not chicken patty-ish at all! Lovin all that coconut cream goodness! A chocolate and tahini version sounds great!

So glad we were able to get together again! I think the Turnip Truck is one of my new favorite places!

Nicole March 8, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Chocolate and tahini???? hmmmm I think I know what I’m having for dinner tonight …

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 8, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Oh, yum! Your Turnip Truck plate looks delish! I love variety. :)

Anita March 8, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I would have guessed wrong with farina. Lundberg rice makes this toasted brown rice couscous ready in 10 – 13 minutes. It is really good. Would make a great breakfast food! I made some yesterday. Saw it in the gluten free section of Stop & Shop. Went to Whole Foods this week. High prices. Someone is making raw dehydrated kale chips. It’s like $7 for 2 oz. They are so good, I’m on my second bag. It’s not likely I’m going to buy a dehydrator anytime soon though.

Emily March 9, 2011 at 1:22 am

i have to voice a complaint,Heather :) —i agree with CD (say hi to him for me!) you are one expensive girl! i’m a poor grad. student and i find myself blowing tons of cash on coconut flakes now (and i had to get a food processor to make coconut butter and bark!) as well as developed a taste for coconut ice-cream.

oh heather, you’ve got excellent taste buds, but really!!! :)

HEAB March 9, 2011 at 8:16 am

Emily,
You’re too funny, and I’m sorry. Hehe, I know, I have very expensive tastes, but CD has come up with some very cost saving ways to keep them under control. We buy the generic unsweetened coconut flakes from Harris Teeter – grocery store chain here in Nashville, and stock up when they’re on sale. Each bag is less than a $1 and makes one small jar of coconut butter. We’re also signed up for automatic shipments of oat bran and coconut flour from Amazon Prime. We save a ton of money doing this b/c Amazon doesn’t have a distribution center in TN, we pay no sales tax, and shipping is free, and I have oat bran on my doorstep every month which makes me a very happy girl!

The food processor will end up saving you lots of money in the long run, and as far as the coconut ice-cream goes, make your own: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2011/01/23/whos-the-moosiest-moose-we-know/. Of course, now you’ll need an ice-cream maker. ;)

Emily March 9, 2011 at 11:32 am

Kathy May 26, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I am gearing up to try the chocolate and tahini. Can you tell me how you make the cream of quinoa once it is in flour form? Thanks! I am really enjoying going through your archives. Some things really hit home and there are a lot of recipes I want to try. Thanks for all the hard work and your daughter is absolutely adorable! Kathy

HEAB May 26, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Hi Kathy,
Thanks so much for reading my blog. For the quinoa porridge, follow this exact same method for millet porridge: http://thepalatepeacemaker.com/2011/01/16/millet-porridge-3/. The quinoa was good, but I actually preferred the millet. It has a milder taste – kind of nutty. Hope you enjoy the tahini chocolate combo. One of my favorites. Digging it with sunflower seed butter instead of tahini lately. Both are so good!

Kathy May 27, 2011 at 7:35 am