So Tempting

by HEAB on March 10, 2011

I forgot to tell you guys that I’m giving up sugar and nut butter for Lent. No sugar, meaning I will eat nothing with added sugar, and no nut butter, meaning no kind of butter made from ground nuts. Loophole #1: Tahini is technically a seed butter. Loophole #2: As is coconut butter. ;)

I’m not catholic, but because of my faith, I like the tradition of sacrificing something from Ash Wednesday to Easter. So, 40 days of no sugar and no nut butter, which brings me to Loophole #3: Peanuts are not nuts. They’re actually legumes. Can I get an Amen?!?

The temptations have already started. Look what arrived on my doorstep yesterday…

Seriously Jesus?!?

I first heard about these Lark Fine Foods cookies from Corey, and the company was kind enough to send me some…one day too late. Do you how hard it was to pack these up and put them in the freezer? CD, I would like to request that these be in my Easter basket – thank you.

Temptation #2 came around 4 AM this morning. I had just finished pumping, and I always eat a granola bar post pump. I hadn’t even thought about the sugar in my middle-of-the-night snacks. Grrr. I wanted to make some popcorn but then figured CD would not appreciate waking up to the smell of buttery popcorn at such an early hour. So, I went to town on some leftover canned pumpkin in the fridge and hope to make some no sugar added oaties or something later today.

Over the next 40 days, I’ll be sharing my sugar free meals and snack ideas with you. First up, we have last night’s dinner. CD has been making what he calls his Big Daddy’s Reuben for a few weeks now, and it’s quite tasty. By the way, I just added the Big Daddy’s part…much more fun, no?

The Big Daddy

Whenever CD makes this, the smell in our kitchen brings back memories of one of my favorite dinners growing up, reuben sandwiches. Chris’s recipe is super simple. He fries grass fed finished ground beef, drains off some of the beef fat, and adds 1 can of drained and rinsed sauerkraut, a few squirts of ketchup, and a couple spoonfuls of sour cream. He made it for dinner last night, but alas, our ketchup contains added sugar. So, I made my own version, and it was delicious.

After stir-frying some veggies with 1/4 pound beef, I stirred in 2 heaping spoonfuls of tomato paste with 2 spoonfuls of full-fat sour cream. You could always add stevia for a touch of sweetness, but I don’t think it needs it. I loved this combo.

Are you giving up or adding anything to your life for Lent? Have you discovered any loopholes yet? ;)

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews March 10, 2011 at 10:24 am

What a great thing to give up! Good luck.

chocolate-covered katie March 10, 2011 at 10:28 am

I used to give up chocolate. And one year I gave up shopping. But I realized that, for me, these don’t really remind me of the reasons I’m giving them up in the first place (my Christianity). So now I just DO something instead.

Maybe I was secretly just looking for an excuse to never have to give up chocolate again ;) .

Baking N Books March 10, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Exactly. I really feel people don’t take into account the meaning behind Lent. They are focused so much on giving something up or changing their diet or banning something – but do they practice the significance of Lent and what it means?

Adding something into your life. That’s the key. Instead of the “negative” approach – as in “give up, go without, not, etc” – it should focus more on what you will do instead. I WILL eat more vegetables, I will eat more foods without added sugars, I WILL try different meals/snacks, etc.

That’s all. ;) May I ask why you chose Nut Butters? Do you feel you are “attached” to it or have too much. Thank God for PB! :)

I do have a recipe for a Banana Muffin that actually has no sugar or nut butters by the way if your interested :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 10, 2011 at 3:53 pm

While I think doing something during the Lenten season is great, I think the idea of making a sacrifice (giving up something you really love or enjoy) is a genuine way to show God that we are willing to bear the cross of Jesus. And it doesn’t always have to be food. My husband has given up a favorite website for Lent. It’s a sacrifice and a way to show his gratitude that Jesus paid the ultimate sacrifice.

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Baking,
I agree with Maryea on this one. For me, Lent is about making a sacrifice. I eat nut butter all the time and giving it up will be a challenge. It’s one of my favorite things.

Baking 'n' Books March 10, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Oh yes! I agree – when we did our Yoga Training before (feels so long ago now)…but “Attachment’ was a big issue. For some people giving up coffee was huge – for a week. We shouldn’t be attached to ANYTHING in life – especially material things.

I think what I meant to say is that a lot of people use it as a reason to go on a “diet” or “restrictive” something (not referring to you!!) without looking at the reasoning behind it.

It’s about intention I guess. Do you intend to go back to it after?

CH March 10, 2011 at 10:37 am

Wow, giving up sugar completely is intense! I usually give up chocolate, since that is something that feels like an actual sacrifice to me. I’m not Christian, but I am spiritual, and I am attracted to the (powerful) idea that we make sacrifices for something greater than ourselves. :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats March 10, 2011 at 10:39 am

Hey Heather – when I gave up on ketchup completely (for some reason just a tablespoon of it would give me the worst sugar cravings, even if it is was agave ketchup), I started mixing a few drops of plain stevia into tomato paste along with garlic powder and some salt and pepper and it really worked well.

And to add another loophole, organic sunbutter has no added sugar.

Jess March 10, 2011 at 10:45 am

I’m also giving up sugar for Lent! It’s amazing how many things I just ate that contain added sugar without really thinking about it–definitely making me more mindful of what I’m eating!! Looking forward to some sugar free recipes :) I started following some blogs you recommended last week that have a ton of great sugar free recipes I can’t wait to try!

Stephanie March 10, 2011 at 10:48 am

oh my! thank god that there are seed butters and coconut butters! Most of them taste better than plain nut butters in my opinion. I don’t eat any added sugars, but I think it’s okay to have them once in a while…;)

Natalie @ Will Jog For Food March 10, 2011 at 10:51 am

Giving up sugar & nut butter would be impossible for me! That is awesome that you have the will power to do that :)

The Big Daddy looks AWESOME!

kate@ahealthypassion March 10, 2011 at 11:00 am

good luck cant wait to see what your eating the next 40 days, I am giving up animal products and gluten, the gluten is the one im really worried about I love carbs :)

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 11:54 am

Kate,
I think you’ll find that avoiding gluten isn’t too difficult. I love my gluten free grains, including quinoa, brown rice and millet. You can make flours from them or blend them with nut milk for a delicious hot breakfast cereal. You can so do this!!! P.S. Don’t forget about socca. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 10, 2011 at 11:00 am

I’m not giving up anything. I figure I am suffering enough lately that I should not limit much right now. I like the way you think though! There is always a loop hole! Your eats all sound amazing. I’m pretty sure Tony and CD would get along well in the food department!

crys March 10, 2011 at 11:04 am

hi heather :-)

first off, i love your blog! i had a q about the use of coconut oil vs. coconut butter — maybe you could elucidate this a little for me? i bought WF’s brand of unrefined coconut oil and put it on my oatmeal this morning, but i was kind of disappointed to see it melt into actual oil — my oatmeal literally just had oil sitting on top of it. i follow your blog and CCK’s blog, and I know that both of you are huge fans of Artisan’s brand of coconut butter! Have you looked into the differences and nutritional differences b/w oil and butter? I’m wondering if I should go back and exchange the coconut oil for the Artisan’s butter. Will the butter work well with roasting veggies too? I roasted from brussel sprouts in the oil last night, and it was pretty delicious :-) Thanks!!!!

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 11:51 am

Hi Crys,
Thanks so much for reading! This is how I like to explain the difference between coconut butter and coconut oil. It’s like almond oil vs almond butter. The oil is just that – the oil extracted from the nuts, but the butter is both the oil and meat of the nut ground up together.

So, you use the coconut oil like you would other oils – for cooking, baking, etc., but coconut BUTTER works much better as a topping on oats, pancakes, toast, in sandwiches, smeared on baked goods, etc. B/C the coconut butter contains coconut meat, it does contain naturally occurring sugars and more fiber – unlike the oil which contains none of either. However, the calorie/fat content is about the same.

Hope this helps!

Crys March 10, 2011 at 11:55 am

That does help :-) thank you. I’m guessing that coconut butter is sweeter tasting?

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 11:56 am

Crys,
Yes, much sweeter. So good. If you like coconut, then I have no doubt you would love the butter!

Kate March 10, 2011 at 11:06 am

No sugar for lent here too…BUT my birthday is Monday & I am going to be having a piece of gluten-free cake from a wonderful local bakery. (And then back to no sugar;) Don’t know if I could do no nut butter…maybe with the tahini/coconut loophole…but I’ve been really into cashew butter lately & would miss it soooo much!

Sarah March 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Well if you want to get technical, a cashew is actually a seed. :)

Jeni @ stepping out March 10, 2011 at 11:11 am

I’m giving up sweets for Lent. So far the only loophole I’ve discovered (and it’s self-created) is that my Girl Scout Shortbread cookies are so much like thick (delicious) crackers that they don’t count. (At least they didn’t last night when I ate them as a snack as I got supper ready…) :D

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 11:44 am

Jeni,
Hmm, does the same go for the Thin Mints sitting in my freezer? ;)

Nicole March 10, 2011 at 11:20 am

You are too funny. Your loopholes made me laugh, but when I saw, “Can I get an Amen?” and “Seriously Jesus?” I laughed out loud. Too funny!!

Jaime March 10, 2011 at 11:23 am

I am giving up sugar too! And potatoes…I always give up 2 things for some reason. I like the challenge, I guess. I have been wanting to give up sugar for a LONG time, but usually it would only last a day or two before I would give in and start eating it again. Luckily, I always have a serious amount of self-control during Lent, so once I decide to give it up, it’s gone for good! Well, for 40 days at least! :)

I look forward to some of your sugar-free creations! That will be very helpful!

Kelsey March 10, 2011 at 11:26 am

I’ve given up sugar as well (including natural sweeteners). Although I think I’m going to experiment with stevia a titch (loophole!). Good for you on the nut butters–and the loopholes. :) I like the way you think!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) March 10, 2011 at 11:33 am

Wow. You are hardcore. Though, I guess if you can keep peanut butter, you can survive. Are you cutting out other sugars like honey, or just white/brown sugar?

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 11:43 am

Victoria,
Yep, bye-bye honey, but keeping stevia.

Victoria (District Chocoholic) March 10, 2011 at 11:44 am

May all of God’s strength be with you. At least you can still eat 99% cocoa unsweetened chocolate.

nadia March 10, 2011 at 11:39 am

I am looking forward to the sugar-free meals! yeay!! the only butter I ever end up eating these days is almond butter.. walnut butter – now thats something you never see anywhere.. hmm. ok not going to talk about butter!
but good luck with lent. I m muslim and used to fast during Ramadan. 30 days of no food or WATER between sunrise – sunset. that was insane!

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 11:42 am

Nadia,
Yes, it is. Such a commitment – ha, I probably would have been up at 4 AM everyday eating a huge feast. ;)

Ashley March 10, 2011 at 11:41 am

Hahaha! Your very funny.

Miranda (Untamed Kitchen) March 10, 2011 at 11:44 am

Food sacrifices/changes are definitely the hardest/most felt for me, but I don’t know what else I would give up food-wise right now. Instead I’m adding: eating slowly and enjoying meals without rushing. I guess you could say I’m giving up chewing my food so fast that I don’t even taste it! :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 10, 2011 at 11:53 am

I die. Give me ANY cookie and it will be gone in two seconds flat!

Namaste Gurl March 10, 2011 at 11:57 am

Nope, not giving up anything food related for lent. Why so? I’m not on any diet, or calorie restriction or anything :)
How hard to give up nut butter for lent! Sugar I can do without, but amazing, creamy, almond butter? Ok, i’ll stop now! At least there’s still coconut and seed butters!

cailen March 10, 2011 at 11:59 am

love the idea of adding brussels sprouts! they’re such an under-appreciated vegetable.

ps i’m compiling a cookbook that features dinners that “star” vegetables. would you be interested in contributing a recipe or two?

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Cailen,
That’s what CD always says about Brussels, and I’d be happy to contribute a recipe or two. Are there any on my recipe page that you would like to use? http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 10, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I don’t usually give up something for Lent — I used to give up sweets/desserts every year. I’m not really sure why I didn’t do that this year?

I love the loopholes you found! Hilarious.

I really wish the title of this post was “Really Jesus?” :)

Renée March 10, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Ooh I’m definitely looking forward to lots of sugar-free recipes!
I decided that I’m going to seriously limit the added sugars I’m consuming (not for lent, just in general) so this is perfect timing for me!

Syndie March 10, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Good for you! I considered sugar but have loads of fresh fruit that I don’t want to waste. Picking up my first co-op order today. Very excited for real milk, butter, grass fed meats and produce :) So…I’ll be adding for lent. Hopefully not to my hips either!

carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) March 10, 2011 at 12:49 pm

cannot wait to see what meals you eat!! i could NOT give up nut butter! i wont be givning up ALL added sugar.. but im going to watch my intake!

Alex March 10, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Ummm…..correct me if I’m wrong but I believe almonds aren’t nuts either…they are actually just seeds. I just wiki-ied it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond
Just sayin :)

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Alex,
Yes, someone else shared the same news in another comment. Who knew?!?

Elle March 10, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I applaud the idea of giving up added sugars. I’ve given them up for a little while and it’s been really cool to become more conscious of the places hidden added sugars lie and also, wow, did my sweet tooth ever shrink! Something I thought was impossible, but I’ve mostly lost my taste for sweets. I seem to remember from your About page that you gave up added sugars for a period of time before now. But I think it’ll be cool to blog about what it looks like in practice.

britt will be fit March 10, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I’m on jenny craigs…so I’m giving up a lot right now!

Jennifer Flowers March 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I know a great “loophole” did you know you can “cheat” on Sundays? Apparently each Sunday represents a “mini-Easter,” that is why lent is 40 days and not 46 b/c you don’t count the Sundays :)

I’m giving up sugar too and coffee (ugh)….

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Jennifer,
I did not know this. Hmm, Cookie Sundays. I like it. ;)

Leanne March 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I do not observe Lent, but my church does a 21-day fast to start off each new year. My husband and I did a “veggies, fruits and grains only” fast…

Some of our loopholes:

*For me: coffee beans are a plant. Water is allowed. Therefore, I could drink coffee. With almond milk and stevia…and I’m still not breaking the fast!!

*For him: soda – he had no justification for why it worked, but he did limit it to one per week!

Jill March 10, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Oh my gosh-that is one intense Lent sacrifice! I’ve toyed with the idea of giving up coffee or diet soda but am too chicken/selfish/immature/whatever this year to do it, it seems. LOL.

My best friend in college was Catholic and always gave up something for Lent. One year she gave up chocolate in a show of solidarity and I actually (a couple days late!) gave up diet soda. And didn’t break that goal allll through Lent. I did feel pretty awesomely accomplished afterward, and I’m sure you will too.

BTW, the Krema brand of peanut butter is amazing. The creamy is like the perfect texture/taste even though peanuts are the only ingred. And it’s on sale for like 2.75 at Kroger. Somehow it tastes sweeter, too, with just a little bit of salt.

Jill March 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Oops…meant to say “and in a show of solidarity I gave up diet soda”

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Jill,
I don’t think I’ve ever tried the Krema brand. My favorite is TJ’s for the drizzle factor – it’s kind of runny, and I love that. However, if I hear of a new pb that I’ve never sampled then I must have it. Thanks for the tip!
P.S. Breaking my Coke Zero habit was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.

Lauren March 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Wow, HEAB, that’s car-razy!!! Not the sugar part, but the nut butters. I *could* do it, but I don’t want to. ;) Haha. I’m more into adding something in, or taking something away which is not tangible, such as my anxiety, stress yadda, yadda, yadda ;) Good luck! P.S. Butter, straight up= loophole :)

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Lauren,
Yep, no nuts in Kerrygold, thank goodness! ;)

Sam [Low Carbon Diet] March 10, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I’m giving up sugar too! I’m pretty nervous.

Except I’m not including stevia in the sugar category (since it’s made from a green plant and it has no glucose/fructose/etc. in it).

My new favorite thing? Making my own chocolates by melting Ghiradelli 100% cocoa baking bars, mixing in some stevia, and spooning it into mini-muffin cups :) Tada! Sugar free chocolate!

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Sam,
I gave up stevia last year – this year it’s staying, and I love sugar free chocolate. I just eat the Bakers unsweetened – but I love your idea of the mini muffin chocolates. You could even put a little nut butter in the middle (or seed butter) for me, and have your own miniature Reese’s cups!

Jennie March 10, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I also made the proclamation that I am giving up sugars and nut butters (I really think giving up sugar is going to be soooo much easier than giving up nut butter). I am really looking forward to your recipe ideas over the next 40 days!

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Jennie,
I feel the same way. I can go without sugar – done it before but no nut butter it tough!

Jen March 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Good luck!!!!

Katie March 10, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Not to get too nerdy here, but cashews are botanically seeds also. And sunflower seed butter. Almonds? Check out what wikipedia says – “The fruit of the almond is not a true nut, but a drupe, consisting of an outer hull and a hard shell with the seed (“nut”) inside. ”

Who’s the queen of loopholes now, eh?! ;)

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Katie,
I love you for so many reasons. :)

Emily March 10, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I love your Lent plan and it’s loopholes! I haven’t decided yet (I always seem to put this off) but it maybe sweets of some sort. I should probably nail something down before the 40 days is up :)

jen @ taste life March 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm

“Seriously Jesus !?” is the best caption ever. EVER.

Katirie March 10, 2011 at 3:13 pm

A good reason to try TJ’s Sunflower Seed Butter if you have never had it. I will warn you though, It is addicting!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli March 10, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Dang HEAB! Sugar AND nut butter!? Wow!

Last year I gave up chocolate. Loophole: white chocolate is not in fact chocolate as it contains to cocoa! ;)

I’m not really giving up anything this year…what with the move I didn’t want to restrict my food since I have to try to eat up as much as I can over the next couple of weeks, but I did give up my sugary/processed nighttime snacking. I’ve been a snack monster lately…animal crackers and Newman O’s haven’t stood a chance! lol

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 10, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I’ve also given up nut butters for Lent. But I included PB. :-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 10, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Heather, wow!! That is HUGE for you! Your blog’s title, after all is that you eat almond butter. It’s interesting how blog titles/names we picked year(s) ago may or may not necessarily reflect who we are today.

My own blog, love veggies and yoga…I was wondering for the 9 mos or so i was really hardcore into weightlifting for my fitness show if the yoga part was relevant anymore (i always did yoga, just not as much during that time) but it’s come full circle again…whew :) blog title fits my life again as yoga is back to being front and center.

Onto lent. I dont necessarily identify myself as Christian. Scott is Jewish, and I was raised Catholic but am not practicing. So Lent for me is not an easy concept to solidify in my own mind so no, havent given anything up. But have ADDED some soul-searching :)

Caro March 10, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I’m so glad I just discovered your blog! I’ve also given up sugar for Lent, it’s going to be sooo hard! Looking forward to reading your sugar free recipe ideas!

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Caro,
Welcome. Glad you discovered me as well. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 10, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I was raised Catholic, but never actively gave up anything for Lent, LOL. I guess I wasn’t so good at Catholicism. heh I love the idea of giving something up for 40 days, though! I think that’s wonderful. Good luck to you on your challenge!! And yes, AMEN to peanuts being legumes!!! LOL @ “Seriously Jesus?!” hahahaha Cracked me up!

I looooooooooove reubens! And sauerkraut in general. We both love mustard + kraut, must be that we love vinegar, which I do! I douse my salads in it.

Looking forward to your sugar-free recipes! HEABified ones rock! I saw a (primal) recipe that made mock refried beans with sunflower seeds! Probably something you would like. Here’s the link: http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com/2011/02/huevos-rancherfauxs.html — I think they look delish!

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Jenn,
Seriously, I think we could eat every meal together and be two very happy girls. :) Just checked out the sunflower seed refried bean recipe. Yep, definitely something I would like, and I loved the name of her blog. Straight and to the point. Mine should be called “Stuff I Would Never Make My Husband”. Haha – CD is not a fan of my oat bran bowls. Silly boy! ;)

Mandiee March 10, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Are you giving up all sweeteners, stevia included? I was debating whether or not I could do that, but I think it would be much better to do it with someone else (like you!). I also debated giving up kabocha. That would be SO difficult, but definitely worth it. However, I believe that “doing good” is just as good as giving something up. We all show our faith in different ways :) .

Have a lovely day!
xox

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Mandiee,
Nope, stevia is still in. I gave that one up last year, but keeping it around in 2011. You giving up kabocha is like me giving up almond better. Hard? Yes, but it’s only 40 days. :)

Baking 'n' Books March 10, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Chocolate too?

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Baking,
Only if it’s sweetened with anything. My beloved unsweetened chocolate is not going anywhere.

Eimear Rose March 10, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I am also off all sugar at the mo (the plan is sugar free March), although I intended to allow myself honey once a week, I don’t think I’ll bother this week. I’m not doing it for Lent (I’m not religious), just to see if it makes a difference to my health. Good luck with the nut butter/sugar sacrifice! Are you donating the nut butter money to charity? My family are Catholics and give up alcohol every Lent, so I tend to go along with them, and the weekend wine bottle money goes in the Trocaire (an Irish charity that collect during Lent for people in improverished parts of the world) box.

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Eimear Rose,
I hadn’t thought about donating the money I will save…that’s a good idea, rather than just spending it on more jars of tahini like I planned to do. ;)

Good luck with the no sugar thing – hope you feel better. It will make a difference in your health, even if you don’t notice right away.

Rufus March 10, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I laughed out loud when i read what you are giving up for lent as I tried the same thing last year and although I didn’t eat cane sugar for 40 days, I ate a TON of dried fruit (which come on, is basically sugar right?) just to get through. I then realized I needed to really try and cut the sugar out and here, a year later, I can honestly say I’m add sugar (including fruit) free!

One quote that really helped me fight the temptations is from William Dufty book Sugar Blues:

“After all, heroine is nothing but a chemical. They take the juice of the poppy and they refine it into opium and then they refine it to morphine and finally to heroine. Sugar is nothing but a chemical. They take the juice of the cane or the beet and they refine it to molasses and then they refine it to brown sugar and finally to strange white crystals.”

GOOD LUCK!!!

Maria March 10, 2011 at 4:44 pm

First off, I have to say that I love the quote that Rufus posted.

Heather, I am also giving up sugar for Lent… sugar and refined flour. I would actually LOVE to start grinding my own flour in my VitaMix. Did you say that you have used the wet blade to grind grains into flour? I’m not sure if I have the cupboard space to invest in a dry blade container right now.

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Maria,
Yes, I have used my wet blade to grind flours – usually b/c I’m just too lazy to dig out my dry blade, and it works just fine. Good luck – we can be sugar free together until Easter. :)

MaryBe March 10, 2011 at 4:44 pm

It would be so hard to give up added sugar. It’s in everything! I’m giving up deep fried foods. The loophole is that Crispy Crowns are even better baked!

Bekah March 10, 2011 at 5:01 pm

it’s not really for lent, but i am giving up dairy for *at least* 40 days to see how i feel. i got into a really bad habit on my externship of eating greek yogurt for dinner almost every single night, because it was actually something i wanted after a long 12 hour day, and it was really easy. greek yogurt is really the only dairy i eat regularly, but i’m saying no to all dairy. it’s also wayy expensive, so maybe it’ll save me a couple bucks too. :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In March 10, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I gave up chocolate and asked my boyfriend if he thought Carob was okay, but he gave me this look like “you know that’s defeating the purpose…” which it is! So no chocolate or carob for me!

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) March 10, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Love your loopholes ;)

I’m not giving up anything, but I think I could give up sugar and nut butter like you’re doing. After all, give me peanut butter and/or coconut butter and I’m one happy camper! ;)

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 10, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I would die without nut butter.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss March 10, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Hahaha, I usually end up finding loopholes in the Lent things, too. Or I’ll end up giving something up that I don’t *really* eat or rely on anyway…which is cheating and now I feel bad. I haven’t given anything up yet, but I’ll definitely think of something meaningful soon!

Susan March 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Haha I was going to add peanuts and then I read loophole #3. Smart cookie.

I don’t participate in Lent, but I’ve thought about adding relaxation into my life and removing excess anxiety. I think that’s just as good a thing as any!

Courtney March 10, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I’m giving up artificial stuff for lent- preservatives, colors, etc. :)

Quix March 10, 2011 at 6:02 pm

No sugars or nut butters is indeed intense! I’ve done the no sweet treats type thing (and generally, I don’t eat sweets), but I think it would drive me nuts to be so conscious of my food content. More power to ya though! Good luck with the next 40 (ok 39 now I guess) days…

Jess@atasteofconfidence March 10, 2011 at 6:03 pm

no nut butter? i couldn’t live! good luck.

Lea @ Healthy Coconut March 10, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Good luck Heather on your 4i0 day journey of no sugar. You are so creative in the kitchen that I am sure it will be challenging but not hard. It will just give you the opportunity to try other food in the next 40 days. I think that’s exciting!

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse March 10, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I love your loopholes! But hat off to you on giving up sugar; there’s no way I could do it :-)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 10, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I haven’t given up anything for Lent on purpose so far, and I don’t know if I’ll do completely, but at least reduce. Sugar will be it, it tends to sneak back in. ;) Looking forward to your sugar-free eats to get some inspiration!

vanillasugarblog March 10, 2011 at 6:22 pm

amen girl! you go! rock on with your bad ass no-sugar self. don’t come to my blog then. i’m all over the whole sugar thing. i’m badass like that lol

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Vanillasugar,
Are you kidding? I can’t help but come to your blog…it will give me something to look forward come Easter. :)

lindsay March 10, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I have a feeling you will conquer this! What about tahini, its a seed,not a nut. And so is sun nut butter? Am I pushing it here? haha.

HEAB March 10, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Linsday,
Yep, loopholes. Tahini and Sunbutter don’t count. :)

Becki @ Bites 'n Brews March 10, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I gave up coffee and had a massive coffee withdrawal headache this morning. Luckily I didn’t give up caffeine, so three cups of green tea helped ease the pain!

Dorry March 10, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I gave up cereal this year – all cereal, oatmeal, granola, etc. Yikes! I think I’m going to be eating a lot of trail mix with nuts and dried fruit. I had a big stash of Love Grown Foods granola so I’m hosting a giveaway to get it out of the house – too much temptation. I love your loopholes!

Jill March 10, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I like the Big Daddy comment and it totally sounds like CD would say it!! I planned to give up sugar, but my 2 bags of easter eggs today at Walgreens – yeah, I crumbled. Crap. So, I am just trying to not eat over my calorie allocation and working on losing some weight. After all this endurance sport stuff I could shake a few or 10 lbs. That’s my Lent – to shed.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day March 10, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I’ve given up coffee.. and I’m drinking black tea.. which is not nearly as good as coffee.. but it is a loophole

Hannah March 10, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Seeing as tahini, peanut butter, and coconut butter are the regular staples in my kitchen (Australia is severely lacking in other nut butters, that is unless I make them), I can fully support your Lent decision ;) (Personally, I’m a leeetle bit enamoured with sugar, so won’t be following you there…)

I am seriously in love with the Big Daddy meal. Sauerkraut is amazing!

Ricki March 10, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Can’t wait to see what you cook up without sugar and nuts! I’m a bit hooked on nut butter myself these days–it seems to have replaced sweet treats for me. So cutting out both would be pretty tough!

Corey @ the runner's cookie March 10, 2011 at 8:10 pm

So glad you got them, but so sorry for the bad timing!! I hope this means you will just enjoy them even more on Easter :)

polly March 10, 2011 at 8:11 pm

hi baby girl!
I forget if I told you, but no food giving up this year for me. Just computer time. No computer for momma from 3-7pm. That is family/Abbi/supper time and it’s just been a joy! (I get easily distracted by email, which I love email, but you know) get so much done and D and I take a walk and gosh, so funny how habits get so much of US that it’s so free when we see how much they take. Anyway, I also have a little “Lent prayer” for myself that I posted on the bottom of today’s blog post. :)

Lurve you, peanut butter girl! Honestly… peanut butter is SO much yummier than almond. There. I said it. :P

XOXO

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free March 10, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I’m going to be similar to you this year!! But I gave up all peanuts and peanut butters…..sigh……but I don’t eat sugar anyway ;)

Annie@stronghealthyfit March 10, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Love it.
I’m not giving anything up for Lent because right now I’m working on reducing my sugar intake very deliberately, as well as eating mindfully in general. I love your loopholes! :-)

Maren March 10, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I am giving up sugar too! But I don’t think I could do sugar AND nut butters!! Good for you! I think sugar is going to be a HUGE test of my faith, so I am excited for the challenge. So far, so good! I am so grateful for you to be making and sharing sugar-free recipes!! Thank you!

Jen March 10, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Your loopholes are hilarious. I love it! I also love how you use full-fat dairy. My mom is like that too. If I’m buying sour cream for dinner, she’ll make sure I don’t get a low-fat version.

I’m not religious, and therefore have never given up anything for Lent, but the concept itself sounds like it would be a fun challenge. I don’t know what I could possibly give up for 40 days! Is the whole purpose to choose something that would be really difficult to go without? (Cheese comes to my mind. But no…NEVER could I ever!)

kristina @ Life as Kristina March 10, 2011 at 10:57 pm

How can heab give up nut butter? haha….thata girl!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos March 10, 2011 at 11:26 pm

i can’t believe u gave up nutbutter!! hahahahaha, i am so shocked! you inspire me!

i crave nutbutter daily. i just had justin’s chocolate hazelnut butter today for the first time and i almost melted. i think i might need to give up nutbutter AND seedbutter too b/c i’m obsessed with sunbutter!!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 10, 2011 at 11:48 pm

YUM! Those Ginger Cookies look delicious! And so do those Chocolate ones! :D I am super jealous! :)

xoxo
Kathleen

Christin@purplebirdblog March 11, 2011 at 12:26 am

My family made reubens all. the. time. when I was growing up! I need to get that combination of flavors going again… sooooo good! I don’t do the whole lent thing, but I’m blown away by 40 sugar-free days! :D

Carolyn March 11, 2011 at 6:57 am

Well i am not giving up anything for Lent but i have tried to give up the sugar forever…just because….sometimes more successfully than others…. :-) Love your coconut butter exception.. whew i had forgotten about that one.. thank goodness it’s not a nut!

CD your dinner looks wonderful. Lerve the ruben…

Dena Harris March 11, 2011 at 8:57 am

On a purely selfish level, I’m excited about you giving up sugar for Lent b/c giving up sugar is my goal (not related to Lent) and now you’ll post a bunch of sugar-free recipes for me to pull from. Score! =)

Ryan @ Aloha Appetite March 11, 2011 at 9:20 am

Oh man, I need to seriously sit and think about my loopholes. I’m trying to figure out if a mocha frappucino qualifies as chocolate and sweets…

Sarah Condon March 11, 2011 at 9:37 am

We’re giving up TV for Lent. A sacrifice for this new mama. We’re Episcopalian so we do Lent in a big way:)

Natalia - a side of simple March 11, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Wow, Heather, I’m so impressed! I’m a practicing Catholic and it means so much to me to see your support. Thank you :)

Susannah March 11, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Hey, Heather! Hope all is well! The Big Daddy looks amazing and looks even better as a topping for some yummy sauteed veggies (LOVE brusssels sprouts!). Thanks for posting the recipe- I can’t wait to make it! I am not giving up anything for Lent but adding 15 min of prayer/meditation every day. It’s something that I rarely do because I claim I’m “too busy”. Hoping it becomes a routine :) Have a great weekend!

Monica March 11, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I am selfishly so excited that you gave up sweets for lent and will be sharing lots of sugar free recipes over the next couple of weeks. I gave up fried food and sweeteners, excluding fruit, and will be looking to creative genius bloggers out there to help get me through the lenten season. ;)

JJ March 12, 2011 at 7:38 am

Give your life to Jesus. For it is by grace You have been saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is a gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

Baking 'n' Books March 17, 2011 at 9:26 am

Oh meant to ask – do you “allow” Seed Butters? (Sunflower or Pumpkin) – it’s not a nut…

Darcy March 17, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Girl- I’m giving up *complaining.* Harder than you might think and I’ve already failed a few times. But trying!! :) I figure it ‘s a great exercize in recognizing how often I probably do grouse…
Can’t wait to catch up