Grain & Sugar-Free Scookies For A Cause

by HEAB on March 12, 2011

This post has two purposes:

1) To share a delicious sugar-free recipe with you.

2) To raise money for Ovarian Cancer Research. Kelly Ripa, Electrolux, and Foodbuzz are all working together to raise money for the cause. On Kelly Confidential, you can select a perfect tea party outfit for Kelly’s Tea Party for a Cause. When you do, Electrolux will donate $1 to the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund. Foodbuzz and Electrolux are also partnering to host a Top 9 Tea Party Takeover on Friday, March 25th. In a Top 9 Takeover, Foodbuzz asks all Featured Publishers to construct a post around a theme and then, for one day only, all Top 9 posts reflect that theme. For this Electrolux Tea Party Top 9 Takeover, Foodbuzz has asked all Featured Publishers to create the perfect tea party recipe, and Foodbuzz will donate $50 to the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund for every tea party recipe created.

I present to you HEAB’s Scookies

What the heck is a scookie you ask? Well, it’s what happens when you start out making scones and end up with something that resembles a cookie.

Recipe adapted from Elana Amsterdam’s recipe for chocolate chip scones in The Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook

Enjoy! I loved these. The original recipe called for 1/4 cup of agave nectar, but I used coconut butter instead to add more coconut flavor and a touch of sweetness. Perfect for me, but if you need a little more sweet love and want to keep the recipe sugar free, simply add a packet or two of powdered stevia.
I wish I could have all of you over for tea and scookies! :)

Iris March 12, 2011 at 9:19 am

This sounds really very good! However, when backing with nut flours I am a bit paranoid about the high amount of PUFAs and the danger of them oxidising. But the backing time is very short, so probably this is not an issue. But I like almound flour as well and use it from time to time and those treats seem to be simple to prepare – I am going to give them a try!

Madeleine April 6, 2013 at 7:03 am

If you’re worried about oxidation, there are a couple of things you can do:
1.) Keep your nut flours in the fridge (keeps the fats cold so they don’t oxidize) or 2.) Make your own nut flours and just make what you need! If you have a really good food processor or a Vitamix blender, you can turn blanched, slivered almonds into almond flour in about a minute.

As for the PUFAs, almonds are relatively low in them. A serving of almonds has 10 grams of MUFAs and just 3 grams of PUFAs — nothing to worry about, especially when you’re using coconut oil and avoiding seed oils.

HEAB April 6, 2013 at 7:33 am

Thanks for the info Madeline. Very helpful and informative.

carolyn March 12, 2011 at 9:22 am

OMG… they look like you could eat them all.. and i would…

HEAB March 12, 2011 at 9:41 am

Bid,
Stopped at 5. :)

carolyn March 12, 2011 at 9:51 am

wimp…

jen @ taste life March 12, 2011 at 9:31 am

Heather, those look crazy amazing delicious! I think I would love them, even without any sweetener. Yum.

What’s the difference between coconut oil and coconut butter? I continue to be confused. I make my own coconut butter in the vitamix just blending coconut shreds. What’s the oil?

HEAB March 12, 2011 at 9:41 am

Jen,
This is how I like to explain the difference between coconut butter and coconut oil. It’s like almond oil vs almond butter. The oil is just that – the oil extracted from the nuts, but the butter is both the oil and meat of the nut ground up together.

So, you use the coconut oil like you would other oils – for cooking, baking, etc., but coconut BUTTER works much better as a topping on oats, pancakes, toast, in sandwiches, smeared on baked goods, etc. B/C the coconut butter contains coconut meat, it does contain naturally occurring sugars and more fiber – unlike the oil which contains none of either. However, the calorie/fat content is about the same.

Ana March 12, 2011 at 2:08 pm

That is a good way to explain Heather, using almonds as comparison, I always use olives as an example to show the difference, Think about olives and olive oil. If you press the olives you squeeze out the oil out of them and get olive oil. If you grind the olives in a blender/food processor it becomes a paste and you get olive tapenade.
Same applies to coconut: when you press the coconut meat you squeeze the oil out of it: coconut oil. If you grind the coconut in a blender it becomes a paste and you get coconut butter!

Ana March 12, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Sorry to be getting into your comments, just wanted to say that the calorie content might be similar, but coconut oil is juts that, pure fat, while the coconut butter has also fiber, protein, and a little carbohydrate from the coconut meat.
As Heather said, each one is good for a different application. I love both coconut oil and coconut butter and since I discovered them I can’t live without any of the two! :-)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 12, 2011 at 9:48 am

These look and sound delicious! I need to get more coconut butter soon or make my own. I just spent way too much money on gluten free stuff yesterday, so I need to get myself in the kitchen and start baking! Have a great weekend Heather.

melissa @ the delicate place March 12, 2011 at 9:53 am

oh how happy i am that i just ordered almond flour yesterday! i gave up fresh fruit/dried fruit for lent and this is the perfect sugarfree solution! funny enough, my tummy woes have all but disappeared! maybe too much fructose?

Baking 'n' Books March 12, 2011 at 9:57 am

Holy Scookie! Looks phenomenal! And what a great cause…although Kelly Ripa gets the fun part of dressing up ;)

I often make “Mookies” – a cross between a Cookie and Muffins :) I rarely add sugar anymore now; although I do use Maple Syrup at times. Depends on my mood. But for everyday stuff, I find that bananas, applesauce, raisins and nut butters are just perfect.

Oh and chocolate :)

Little Bookworm March 12, 2011 at 10:05 am

Love the name Scookie – sounds great. They look great as well! :) Hope you have a great weekend Heather! :D

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 12, 2011 at 10:06 am

Oh…Heather… Wow. I’m ready to make some of those! I have been trying to create a scone recipe for a month or so now using almond flour, and had some “turns into a cookie” ‘fails’ on the way ;) Thanks for sharing!

Matt March 12, 2011 at 10:41 am

That looks epic.

Do you think this would work with coconut flour? I have plenty on hand, but no almond flour.

HEAB March 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Matt,
Not sure – coconut flour absorbs so much liquid, and when I’ve used it in baked goods, everything comes out really dry. You can always try making your own almond flour – just grind up almonds in your food processor, but stop it before they turn into to almond butter.

kathleen March 12, 2011 at 10:44 am

i probably would have just eaten the batter. congrats to you for waiting to bake them. oh, and thanks for mentioning silpat sheet. i’m writing it down as something i might want to purchase. i do a lot of gluten free baking and the dough is just so sticky.

HEAB March 12, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Kathleen,
Trust me, there was some batter consumed. Love my Silpats! Definitely a must for any baking.

Pure2raw twin March 12, 2011 at 10:56 am

Yay I can eat these ;)

Enjoyed some eggs again this morning!! Now need to make these! Perfect for my candida journey right now.

HEAB March 12, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Pure2Raw,
Was wondering how the eggs were going. Sounds like it’s going well. About to eat some myself. They are really good scrambled atop a baked sweet potato with tahini. :)

Eimear Rose March 12, 2011 at 11:17 am

Reading the comments, it’s so cool how these scookies are jumping out for everyone in different ways, grain free, gluten free, sugar free, (fructose free), candida-friendly, woohoo! Bookmarking these as next week’s sweet treat:)

Gina March 12, 2011 at 11:23 am

Oh wow! I love the little chocolate explosion that happens when you break these little guys open! They look great, Heather :)

Katie March 12, 2011 at 11:25 am

Scookie. Hehe.

Evan Thomas March 12, 2011 at 11:44 am

Totally bookmarked. I’d probably use chocolate chips because I’m not a fan of unsweetened chocolate, but I love that it uses coconut butter.

HEAB March 12, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Evan,
These turned out better than expected. The saturated fat from the coconut makes them flaky – like biting into a fluffy pie crust cakey cookie kind of treat. Yum, and they would be excellent with chocolate chips!

Baking 'n' Books March 12, 2011 at 7:52 pm

How DO you eat that unsweetened chocolate!? Did it take you a while to get used to it?? I tried a Baker’s square before….and proclaimed I’d rather not have chocolate! Eeek!

HEAB March 12, 2011 at 8:10 pm

BnB,
I tried it one night out of desperation when it was the only chocolate we had in the house. Started out by dipping it in almond butter and then realized I loved it all on its own. That being said, it’s really the only unsweetened chocolate I like. The Hershey’s brand is OK, but most others are too bitter for my taste buds.

Lea @ Healthy Coconut March 13, 2011 at 10:49 am

When I ate the unsweetened chocolate straight from the box, I didn’t love it as much as when I used it for baking or as a topping on my oatmeal.

The key for me is to get it melted and that’s when I can taste the chocolate richness.

I just baked Banana Chocolate muffins using the unsweetened Baker’s square and really loved it.

Thanks for all the great and creativ recipes Heab.

Stephanie March 12, 2011 at 11:49 am

Wow! I’d love to make some of these, except that I don’t have any almond flour. I wonder if regular flour like spelt or buckwheat would work?

HEAB March 12, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Stephanie,
Not sure, but definitely worth a try!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy March 12, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Ahhh, that melted chocolate looks so good!

lindsay March 12, 2011 at 12:08 pm

oh coconut and gluten free are pure bliss for me. Great recipe heabs! And not nut butter!
p.s.
Have you tried this protein? Its really good in oats/porridge and to bake with.
http://bit.ly/gPVrII ( i shortened the link for ya)

HEAB March 12, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Lindsay,
Yes! Allie (Pimp My Protein Shake) sent me a small sample of her’s, and I thought it was really good. Couldn’t believe it as I usually hate hemp. However, I think the sample Allie sent me was sweetened. Can’t remember. That’s not a bad price either. Thanks for the link. Might have to order some. Sun Warrior is so expensive!

Lauren @ WWoB March 12, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Oh wow HEAB, you outdid yourself. Im makin’ these babies.

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) March 12, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Scookies!!!! I LOVE the name! :D

Do you think these would turn out with a mix of maybe whole wheat pastry flour and brown rice flour? I don’t have any almond flour :(

I wish I could come over for tea and scookies too! Or have you over – either way would work ;)

HEAB March 12, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Alexandra,
Not sure but worth a try. :)

Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free March 12, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Yumm! I’m loving the sugar free recipes!

Marie-Sophie March 12, 2011 at 12:59 pm

They look amazing – and yes, I totally would come over for tea and cookies :-) … even though that would mean crossing the entire ocean! ;-)

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Heather these look so good — look at that melted chocolate center! Yum.

Ana March 12, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Omg, those scookies look just too good, and I love they don’t have any sugar added, I must make those!
Every time I see your amazing concoctions with pieces of chocolate in it I get a craving and go get me a square :-)
I love coconut butter too!

Ana March 12, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Aaackkk, I was going to make the scookies but just found that I am out of almond flour (and not enough almonds around to make my own), adding that to the list. I may run to the store this afternoon, I am craving coconut + chocolate now!
The scookies reminds me of coconut macaroons!! :-)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free March 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm

AHHHHH! I Love this!!! Especially because it is sugar-free ;) And chocolate+Coconut is a great combo!!!!!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 12, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I love!! I can’t wait to try these with chia seed eggs!

Jen March 12, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Those look even better than regular scones! The one with all the chocolate oozing out…YUM. Why does melted food (mainly chocolate and cheese) always look so appetizing?!

katie March 12, 2011 at 3:09 pm

HEAB these look amazing!!! Yummy!!!! I would love one crumbled on my oats!!!

Lauren March 12, 2011 at 3:13 pm

O.M.G. I die. That is all ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 12, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Oh those cookies look wonderful! I love that you baked them for a cause.

And that they are grain and gluten free.

But what I love even more is that huge GLOB of chocolate in the last picture. Oh.my.goodness.

NICE WORK

Mary @ Bites and Bliss March 12, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Such a good cause!! Thank you for posting this, they look absolutely amazing!

Corey @ the runners cookie March 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm

These look delicious, Heather! And what a great cause. Would love to try making these. Looks like you are doing great with your Lent sacrifices :)

McIntosh March 12, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Yummers especially the oozing chocolate and it still being sugar free….fancy that!

By the way, I thought Scookies and a cause was going to be something about Girl Scout Cookies. Obviously, I was (well, am but that’s another story) a bit off! Love the name and the cause :)

Katarina (Chia Chic) March 12, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Ohhhh myyyyyy *drool* I love Elana’s recipes! Thanks for some Saturday inspiration :)

Lindsay March 12, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Hi,
I just discovered your site today and cannot contain my excitement! I can’t wait to make these and your other delicious recipes. Thank you so much!

HEAB March 12, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Lindsay,
Thanks for reading. Glad you found me. Enjoy your scookies! :)

Maria March 12, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Oh my! Oh my! Your scookies look magnificent and when I am back home I will definitely be making myself a sugar-free batch!!!

bridget March 12, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Scookies…haha I love that name! They look so easy to make!

Hannah March 12, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Love the idea of using the natural sweetness of almonds and coconut in these cookies :) Swoonalicious photos indeed!

Emilia March 13, 2011 at 1:00 am

Gosh- bigosh Heab, you totally know what’s good and right up my alley. First it was the chocolate- chip hummus, now it’s coconut- chocolate cookies without added sugar! My goodness, we really are more similar than I thought :)

I’m totally making these when I get my hands on some farm fresh eggs- which will be tomorrow :) I’m sure they’d be amazing atop oats with nut- I mean seed :) - butter!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 13, 2011 at 1:20 am

Your SUGAR FREE Cookies look DEEEEE-LISSSHHHH-IOUS!!! :D I want to make those RIGHT NOW! :D

xoxox
Kathleen

emily March 13, 2011 at 1:26 am

Heather, these look AMAZING!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel March 13, 2011 at 7:59 am

Heather, that’s so crazy how these look like little cookies and cream ice cream balls!! i would kill to get that those chocolate chunks haha <3
mmm and the almond flour coconut combo would make it cookie dough textured i bet …. mmm im just staring at the melting chocolate chunk oozing from the last pic!! (i cant look away!!!)

the added bonus is that they're for a wonderful cause- scookies on a mission to cure ;)

xoxo <3

The Teenage Taste March 13, 2011 at 10:10 am

These look so good! Anything with chocolate has got to be! :-)

nicole March 13, 2011 at 11:43 am

Scookies!! Love it! great cause and great post. Love you girl!!

Sarah @ The Rounded Teaspoon March 13, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I can’t wait to try these. They are superb-looking. Thank you!

Ryan @ Aloha Appetite March 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm

The last picture of the chocolatey goodness oozing out… well… yea. I think I’m drooling. That’s all I have to say.

Christin@purplebirdblog March 13, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Funny enough, I have all the ingredients to make these… I see some scookies in my future very soon! :)

Danae @ CookingInCambridge March 13, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Dear goodness. Please post one that you don’t need an oven for? These look SO delightful. YUMMM.

JJ March 13, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Hi Heather,
I’ve been reading your blog for AGES (and found a few of my other favourite blogs through yours, thank you VERY much!) and always think your food looks amazing. BUT….I always also feel overwhelmed when I start reading your ingredients as I don’t know what half the things are, if you make them yourself (and if you do, are they something I could buy instead), or where to get them for myself.

So I’ve decided to start small. My breakfast is often rolled oats with some cinnamon and fruit and nuts added in. Your breakfasts (and oat snacks in general) always look so yummy! What kind of oats should I buy to eat breakfasts like yours and in what form do I get them? If this question is too general, it’s because I really need your help even more than I thought! haha!

And tahini looks incredible! It’s seed butter? Where do I find that?
Thank you! And while I’m at it here, what a beautiful little girl you’ve got! It’s been fun reading your blog throughout the pregnancy and birth!

HEAB March 13, 2011 at 10:47 pm

JJ,
I know – I can throw some pretty wacky and hard to find ingredients up on my blog – sorry about that. As far as oats go, there are so many to choose from. I love Quaker old fashioned rolled oats, and usually just cook them on the stove-top with water or coconut milk. My favorite grain for hot cereals is oat bran. Quaker makes a good one – look for it in the hot cereal aisle. I love it – so thick and creamy. Again, I cook it on the stove-top with water, and it cooks up in less than 2 minutes.

Tahini is sesame seed paste. I order the Joyva brand in bulk from Amazon, but you can find tahini in any health food store. It’s used in a lot of Middle Eastern dishes. It’s slightly bitter, but I love it straight up plain. Hope you find some soon, and thanks so much for reading and for your kind words regarding Summer. I think she’s beautiful too. :)

tiffany July 22, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I live in the middle east, and one of the new ways I’ve learned to enjoy tahini is by dipping dates into it!! It’s a great “dipping snack” that my kids love! try it! it’s an awesome combo, made even better by drinking their cardamom infused coffee afterwords!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 13, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Look at that oozing chocolate!!! Droooooooooooooool. I could learn to love unsweetened chocolate. In fact, I tried a square of Baker’s unsweetened because of you and I’ll tell ya, it’s not bad at all!! Yep, could definitely get used to. :) And it’s really good for you straight up, no sweetener. Win win!

HEAB March 13, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Jenn,
I first ate the Bakers unsweetened out of desperation one night. We had no other chocolate in the house, and I NEEDED some. So, I started off by dipping it in almond butter, but now I love it all on its own. I’m telling ya, it’s addictive!

Charlotte March 14, 2011 at 12:03 am

First, “scookie” is adorable! Does Summer have any nicknames yet? I nominate scookie;) Seriously my kids have so many nicknames it’s a wonder they ever figure out their real name at all!

Second, I am so making these cookies tomorrow!! Look delish!

Monica March 14, 2011 at 8:41 am

Love that you adapted that scone recipe to sugar free! I love the recipes in that cookbook, but that agave nectar can be dangerous stuff for me as it tastes like pure maple syrup.

I will have to try this recipe soon!

Jamie March 18, 2011 at 7:51 pm

These look and sound so yummy, I have to try these!

Meagan March 19, 2011 at 11:16 am

I LOVE recipes that I never have to change or edit for my needs. I can’t wait to make these Heather! Using coconut butter is a great idea to replace the sugar :) I will probably use my coconut creme concentrate which I get from Tropical Traditions, since I am pretty sure it’s the same as the Artisana stuff. Or can you make coconut butter?

HEAB March 19, 2011 at 11:41 am

Meagan,
I’m sure the coconut cream would work, but I always make my own coconut butter: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/coconut-butter/. Super easy and much cheaper than Artisana. Enjoy your scookies. So sad mine are all gone. :(

Katie @ peacebeme March 21, 2011 at 10:05 am

Looks like cookies n’ cream ice cream balls! :)

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey March 21, 2011 at 11:46 am

These look like little cookie dough bites! Do they taste like it? I also wonder if a flax egg would work..?

HEAB March 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Kelsey,
Alex just posted a delicious looking version with chia gel instead of eggs: http://spoonfulofsugarfree.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/smacaroons/

Jenna A. | The Paleo Project March 26, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Hi Heather,

Just found your blog, I love it! Summer is beautiful and you seem like a wonderful and honest blogger which I’m always looking for. I recently eliminated grains and sugar from my life as well. Keep it up!

Jenna

Ally April 3, 2011 at 9:40 am

OMG i just made these…and ate half of the batch! ahh!

Marie April 11, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I am so excited to make these! However I want to use almond butter instead of coconut butter. I’m thinking if anything it will only make the cookies a bit heavier but I’m not entirely sure. I haven’t been cooking gluten-free for very long.

Any suggestions?

HEAB April 11, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Marie,
I think the scookies would turn out great with almond butter. Definitely worth a try. Might need to add a little sweetener though as almond butter is not as naturally sweet as coconut butter. Let me know how it goes! :)

shannon j May 14, 2011 at 2:27 am

love the recipe heather- thanks for the earlier tip o n coconut butter- i ended up making HEABified coconut butter. My husband LOVED them and asked for me to make them again!

Michael Lange Ocala July 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Oh my gosh these look delicious. I wish I could grab one through the screen!

Sarah-Mae July 25, 2011 at 6:49 am

Heather! MY LOVE! As I mentioned recently, when my sailor-man and I go on roadtrips it’s become tradition to bring along homemade baked goods to thwart the need to purchase any on the way. Banana bread is THE tradition, along with a “something else” – these scookies will be our “something else” for our week long roadtrip to his family reunion!

I subbed spelt flour for coconut flour as I didn’t have any on hand, and they still worked out wonderfully – perhaps a little bit more dry?, but very delicious regardless! I also used a tablespoon to smoosh these scookies into shape, and it resulted in FIFTY bite size balls. DELISH!

Haley July 27, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Oh. My. Gosh, Heather.

I am in LOVE with these!!! I made a half-batch to test them first, and I am kicking myself for it now, lol. Don’t fret, though, I’ll be making another – full – batch tonight! =)

You rock. Thanks for sharing your amazing recipes!

HEAB July 28, 2011 at 10:34 am

Haley,
You are welcome. I’m so happy to hear you liked the scookies, and yes, 1/2 a batch is definitely NOT enough. Thanks for reading and I hope you’re enjoying more scookies soon! :)

Katie February 21, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Did you use coconut butter or something like coconut manna?

HEAB February 21, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Katie,
I used coconut butter. Artisana makes a delicious version, or you can make your own: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/coconut-butter/

Madeleine April 6, 2013 at 7:06 am

Oh my YUM these look fantastic! I’ve been hunting for paleo treats to get me through my pregnant-lady sweet cravings, and this just might do the trick!

I would definitely need a little added sweetener — I don’t have any powdered Stevia, but I do have liquid. Any idea how much would equal the 1/4 cup of agave?

HEAB April 6, 2013 at 7:39 am

Hi Madeline, I’m not sure as I’ve never used liquid stevia. Here is a sweetener conversion calculator I found that might help: http://www.drjacobkeyzernd.com/sweet_calc.htm.

Congrats on your pregnancy! :)

{ 9 trackbacks }