Savory Sunday Pancakes

by HEAB on March 13, 2011

Well, we made it to Arizona with zero problems. Summer is a great traveller. She sat quietly at the airport for 2 hours, and hardly made a peep throughout our 3.5 hour flight. The other passengers could not believe how quiet she was. We fed her during take off, and then she slept through most of the plane ride. Honestly, the trip could not have been easier, and we are so happy to be here! The area of Phoenix where CD’s parents live is so beautiful, and you can’t beat all this sunshine. As much as I love Nashville, the winters there are just way too gloomy. Sunlight makes for a much happier HEAB!

During our crazy morning of packing, I was able to celebrate a quick sugar-free Pancake Sunday

In an attempt to clean out the fridge, I sauteed the last of our carrots and spinach in a little ghee on the stove-top and then stirred in a package of these lentils from Costco, heating until warm….

So quick and easy – love!

My pancakes were quick and easy as well. Inspired by this recipe, I stirred together 4 TBSP chickpea flour with 4 TBSP water and a pinch of salt. The batter made 2 pancakes, which I cooked over medium heat in a skillet greased with ghee, flipping once. That’s it, and it’s a great recipe if you’re looking for a simple gluten free bread. The pancakes made great soup dippers, but you could use them for grilled cheese or PB & J sandwiches, etc. So versatile!

By the time we arrived in Arizona, it had been hours since lunch, and after getting all situated, we sat down to a delicious dinner….

Summer was acting camera shy and hid behind her stuffed bunny.

Alice, CD’s mom, made our favorite chicken lentil stew and cornbread…

Thanks Alice! It was just what I needed, and CD and I both went to town, eating 2 bowfuls each. Have you tried the stew yet? Alice also stocked the pantry with oat bran, unsweetened chocolate, and canned pumpkin. I think I’ll just stay here forever. ;)

I”m taking a break from blogging this week so that I can spend lots of time with my family soaking up all this sunshine. I might pop into to say Hi every so often, but I won’t be posting as often as usual. Wishing all of you a wonderful week!

P.S. Thanks so much for keeping my cousin and his family living in Japan in your prayers. We’ve heard from them, and everyone is okay. That being said, others in the country were not so fortunate, and so please continue to keep them in your thoughts.

Gina March 13, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Have a wonderful week and soak up some of that amazing sunshine for me :)

Mama Pea March 13, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Can’t wait to see you!!! :)

HEAB March 14, 2011 at 5:41 am

Mama Pea,
Feeling is mutual. :)

Hannah March 14, 2011 at 12:31 am

How wonderful that Summer is such a lovely traveller (for you and for everyone else on your flights!), and how extra super wonderful that your friend prepared her pantry just for you :)

RunEatRepeat March 14, 2011 at 12:32 am

Have an amazing and safe trip :)

Heather @ kissmybroccoli March 14, 2011 at 12:39 am

How funny! I had savory pancakes made with chickpea flour this morning as well! Great minds think alike, huh? I used Sarena’s recipe for nutritional yeast waffles and just made them into pancakes….soo yummy!

Summer is such a little angel! I doubted that she would give you a CD any trouble during the flight!

I hope you have a wonderful time with the fam this week! Looks like it might start getting dreary around here again…maybe you could bring us back a little sunshine? ;)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 14, 2011 at 12:39 am

Glad your cousin and his family are ok!

Enjoy your time in Phoenix, you deserve a break with some sunshine. That stew looks great, btw!

sarah (sarah learns) March 14, 2011 at 1:06 am

aww, enjoy your week off with your husband’s family! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 14, 2011 at 4:56 am

Ok I totally sense of blogger meetup that is going to take place. I can kinda already put 2 and 2 together here…WHY when I lived in AZ was NO ONE there??!! Now, all you girls are all gonna be in AZ at the same time and I….am in San Diego. But I am not complaining…Phoenix and I didn’t mix well, as you know :)

So glad you made it..and that Summer, she is a superstar with not even making a peep on the flight!

Have a great trip, Heather!!!! Do as little as possible, get waited on, and hopefully meet up with some great bloggy friends :)

HEAB March 14, 2011 at 5:47 am

Averie,
Well, hopefully I’ll make it to San Diego someday. CD and I think it has the perfect climate as far as U.S. cities go (we’ve been talking possible cities to move to someday)…but goodness gracious, the property taxes in CA are unbelievable! No wonder everyone rents, huh?

The Teenage Taste March 14, 2011 at 5:48 am

Have fun with your family HEAB! :-)

lindsay March 14, 2011 at 6:20 am

So glad to hear your family is alright in Japan. My heart goes out to them. Enjoy your precious time in AZ.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 14, 2011 at 6:35 am

I am so glad your family is safe. I hope you have an incredible trip. Enjoy every second of the sunshine and family time!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 14, 2011 at 7:34 am

I will always prefer my pancakes with maple syrup ;)

Susan March 14, 2011 at 7:45 am

I love that you dipped your pancakes in soup! I don’t sweeten my pancakes very often so I bet I could roll with that.

What a blessing that Summer is a smooth traveller – and Alice! Stocking the pantry like that? Sounds like heaven.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 14, 2011 at 7:56 am

Have a wonderful week Heather! I’m glad Summer did so well on the flight!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 14, 2011 at 8:19 am

Enjoy your family time and sunshine!!!! Have a great week!

Krista (kristastes) March 14, 2011 at 8:22 am

Anything with lentils is right up my alley. Enjoy your sun-filled vacation :)

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo March 14, 2011 at 8:37 am

I hope you have a wonderful visit, Heather!

P.S. Your hair looks beautiful in that pic!

Monica March 14, 2011 at 8:38 am

Have a wonderful vacation! Enjoy all that gorgeous weather!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free March 14, 2011 at 8:40 am

Wow! That really is amazing that she was so quiet! You are so lucky :) Enjoy Arizona! I bet it is gorgeous there now :)

I love chickpea pancakes!!! They are so easy, and I make them all the time. I especially love adding some cocoa powder into the batter ;)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods March 14, 2011 at 9:12 am

Glad to hear your family is safe. Such a heartbreaking situation for Japan.

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 14, 2011 at 9:20 am

Enjoy your trip! That lentil stew looks ah-mazing….!

Corey @ the runners cookie March 14, 2011 at 9:35 am

So glad you made it safely and Summer’s first trip on a plane was peaceful! Looks likes a delicious, comforting homemade dinner. Hope you all have a great time visiting with family!

Ann Claire March 14, 2011 at 9:35 am

Glad you made it to Arizona uneventfully! That soup looks delicious. And can I just say you have super pretty hair, haha random but true!
Enjoy your week!

Baking 'n' Books March 14, 2011 at 10:04 am

Does chickpea flour taste like the beans?

Also – I saute my vegetables ALOT in olive oil or a little butter. But I wonder if I’m overcooking them? They are quite wilty or soggy afterwards. Help anyone?!

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger March 14, 2011 at 10:11 am

Heather,

Your little family is just the CUTEST ever! I just want to give you a big ol’ Texas-size hug! HA! Glad you made it safely to Arizona and Y-E-S, sunshine is an instant energy and mood booster! I’ll be visiting my family in Texas over Easter and can’t WAIT to be in a warmer climate after this PA winter…bleh! ;)

Jess@atasteofconfidence March 14, 2011 at 11:10 am

Great that Summer is such a good little traveler! Have a good time:)

Natalia - a side of simple March 14, 2011 at 11:17 am

That’s so great that Summer is such a good traveler! She’s too precious for words. Hope you have a great time visiting with family and friends and enjoying the sun :) You and CD deserve it!

Anne @ Your Kind of Salad March 14, 2011 at 11:49 am

Enjoy spending time with your family :) And BTW – your hair looks fabulous!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 14, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I am obsessed with the madras lentils! Have a great time in AZ

Sarah March 14, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Have an amazing time with your family, Heather. You deserve a break where someone is cooking for you. And how lucky that you have a mother-in-law who knows to stock her pantry with all of your favourite goodies.

laura March 14, 2011 at 12:29 pm

We do Pancake Sunday in our household and I LOVE IT! I actually look forward to Sunday morning every week. But of course they are made with nut flours as my husband eats Paleo. I just wanted to let you know that it is through your blog that I discovered so many cool recipes and foods to eat! And most of them are husband-friendly : ) PS- Summer is a cutie.

Kiran March 14, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Summer is a cutie pie :) So glad to know your cousin is fine. Of course, feeling devastated with the rest happening in Japan.

Jen March 14, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Have a great time with your family, and soak up some sunshine for me!!!

Kristin March 14, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Mmm….indian in a bag-quick and easy? Love it!

Samantha March 14, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Glad to hear you heard from your cousin and family and they’re alright. We continue to pray for Japan.

Enjoy your visit with family!

melissa @ the delicate place March 14, 2011 at 4:58 pm

have a great trip and visit with your in laws. that’s wonderful that she is such a great trooper. HEAB your hair looks gorgeous!

britt will be fit March 14, 2011 at 5:29 pm

enjoy your vacation!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 14, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Hope you have a wonderful time! Enjoy the sunshine while you’re around it :)

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse March 14, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I’m so glad your cousin is ok :-)
So jealous of you being in Phoenix too! I went there and it was so beautiful; spent my birthday having a brilliant time there… hope you have a brilliant week x

Marty March 14, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Heather – have a fantabulous time in AZ and soak up some rays for me! I’m glad your trip was uneventful and Chris’s Mom had your fav stew and cornbread, yeah Alice!

Relax, sun, fun, yoga, walk, good food and family – just what the doctor ordered! xoxoxo

Christin@purplebirdblog March 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Glad you arrived safely… have a wonderful vacation! xoxo

Lorne March 14, 2011 at 11:26 pm

So glad to read the flight went well Heather :0)
Have a wonderful time with your in laws and soak up as much sun as possible.

Baking Serendipity March 14, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Yay for pancakes and Phoenix! I’ve lived out here for about 2 1/2 years now and this is by far the best time of year. Enjoy the sunshine!

carolinebee March 15, 2011 at 6:54 am

OFFFF courrrseee Sum was perfect on the flight, wouldn’t expect anything else ;D I mean, she is perfect!!! Have so much fun!! xoxox

steph March 15, 2011 at 11:22 am

Summer is sooooo cute! I can’t stand it

Christine (The Raw Project) March 15, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Glad your cousin is okay and enjoy your time with family.

Sarah @ The Rounded Teaspoon March 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm

What a cute family!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Just stumbled upon your blog… do you eat sugar free all the time? I’m trying it just for Lent and it’s been really difficult for me, even as a dietitian. How did you break your sweet tooth? =)

HEAB March 15, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Claire,
Giving up sugar really helped me lose weight over 10 years ago, but it has slowly crept back into my diet. I used to keep my sugar intake really low, and then I got pregnant last year, and started eating it more and more. So, I gave it up for Lent as well in hopes to cut back as I always feel so much better without it in my life. I recently wrote a post about it: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2011/03/01/eating-low-sugar/, and if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me. :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 16, 2011 at 2:36 pm

YUM! Hmmm, Madras….. Did you lentils happen to have Madras Masala in them? :) I just got some of that! :D

xoxo
Kathleen

HEAB March 16, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Kathleen,
Those lentils are so good. Here are the ingredients:
Water, Tomatoes, Lentils, Red Beans, Onions, Cream, Salt, Butter, Sunflower Oil, Chilies, Cumin.
Love them!

Lacey March 17, 2011 at 8:22 am

It’s sunny and 60 in Nashville, but the high is 75 today!! :)
I did not realize you lived in my city! I thought you lived up in Kentucky for some reason.

{ 1 trackback }