A New Focus

by HEAB on March 21, 2011

A wise soul told me that giving up sugar for Lent would probably be much easier if I quit trying to make everything I eat look like a dessert. Ahh, so very true. Therefore, instead of trying to satisfy my sweet tooth with sugar free goodies, I’m trying to incorporate more savory dishes into my diet and less HEABified sweets.

Loved the stir-fry pictured above. I chopped and fried two slices of bacon on the stove-top until almost crisp and then added 1 partially cooked chopped sweet potato (nuked whole in microwave for 4 mins), 3 carrots, 1 small onion, and some mushrooms. Sweet Potato + Bacon = Amazingness.

Veggies stir-fried with cooked bacon & eaten alongside some stuff. Alice, Chris’s mom, made this delicious bean/beef/veggie mixture, and we called it The Stuff. So good!

The following dish is in the oven right now, and I’ll share the recipe with you tomorrow. Smells divine.

My cravings for sugar always go away when I eat more savory meals. I’m still enjoying my sugar free desserts – just trying not to make them the focus of every meal and snack. Much easier now that the scookies are all gone! That being said, I’m dying to make Ricki’s Halvah.

We made it back to Nashville on Saturday night, and we’re slowly getting settled back into our routine. Thankfully, the weather here is sunny and warm, and I feel like we brought a bit of Arizona home with us. In closing, I’ll leave you with a picture of Summer in her tutu, a gift from Mama Pea and family.

Channeling Gigi and Lulu. ;)

OK, time to get ready for some Mommy & Me yoga. Happy Monday!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats March 21, 2011 at 10:18 am

That tutu is too cute :)

I agree regarding focusing on savory meals. It really makes a difference :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 21, 2011 at 10:22 am

This post made me smile. I love that picture of Summer, and how the tutu is such a Pea family thing! ;) So cute. Enjoy yoga — always a great way to start a week!

Carrie S. March 21, 2011 at 10:27 am

One word for Summer in her tutu: SQUEEEEEE!!!! Just too adorable.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods March 21, 2011 at 10:28 am

Love the red tutu!

I agree with your wise friend about sweets. I find that light versions of sweets only make me want more sugar. Eating the real deal on occasion works better for me than an every day low cal or low sugar treat.

Jess@atasteofconfidence March 21, 2011 at 10:31 am

such a cute outfit!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 21, 2011 at 10:37 am

Summer’s tutu is so cute!

I love the looks of those meals — stir-fries with bacon is such a great idea.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope March 21, 2011 at 10:37 am

I love the concept of “desserts” within your meals. Savory meals are also so delicious!

Awww, I love that tutu… so cute! Glad you made it back safe and sound. :)

glidingcalm March 21, 2011 at 10:48 am

I have been on the stir fry train recently too!! I love it!! Definitely need to add in more variation though!!!

oh and siracha on everything has been my new condiment!! :)

polly March 21, 2011 at 11:01 am

I love that sweet pink pumpkin in that tutu!!!!!!!

Lurve YOU and so happy you are home and enjoying HEAB eats. That STUFF looks yummy.

Happy Monday, sweet peach. XO, P

Who needs sugar when you live with such SWEETNESS that you can hug every morning!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos March 21, 2011 at 11:05 am

ahhhhhhhh!!! tutus, hearts, pink. this is my favorite picture of Summer!!!!! she has a great smile, just like her momma :) .

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos March 21, 2011 at 11:06 am

have you tried the korean/japanese sweet potatoes yet?! they have a white flesh inside and they are simply divine….

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 21, 2011 at 11:06 am

That picture of Summer totally put a smile on my face. She is so cute! I’ll have to try the sweet potato with bacon combination for the boys when Tony is eating bacon again. We are on a month long pescatarian trial. It sounds like you had a tasty visit with your in-laws! Enjoy yoga with the little one!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos March 21, 2011 at 11:06 am

have you tried the korean/japanese sweet potatoes yet?! they have a white flesh inside/purple exterior and they are simply divine….

HEAB March 21, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Junia,
Yes, I have. So good, and the purple flesh is just so pretty. I love the color it adds to the plate. :)

chocolate-covered katie March 21, 2011 at 11:07 am

Oh who needs to EAT sugar when you have that 20-lb (or so) little ball of it in a red tutu to PLAY with? ;)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 21, 2011 at 11:08 am

Oh, Summer in a tutu! Can there be anything more adorable??

Kristina @ spabettie March 21, 2011 at 11:10 am

oh, MY!! Summer looks ADORABLE in her tutu – totally Gigi and Lulu inspired fashion!!

I thought of you this morning – while grocery shopping I randomly bought a HUGE container of mustard. I don’t even have plans for it, it was a sudden craving. :)

HEAB March 21, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Kristina,
Are you pregnant? ;)

Kristina @ spabettie March 21, 2011 at 1:26 pm

baaa haa!! ;) I thought that as I typed this out… and if I was I would fit right in with all the Mamas To Be out there!!

;)

Claudine @ The Kathmanduo March 21, 2011 at 11:16 am

I think your strategy is a great one. Seeing the photos of your delicious stir-fry dishes made me think of one of my favorite naturally sweet recipes: saute thinly sliced carrots in oil, salt, and CINNAMON. It tastes like dessert :)

HEAB March 21, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Claudine,
Yes, love carrots sauteed in coconut oil. Need to start making that again – and add cinnamon. Thank you! :)

Amber at Berlin's Whimsy March 21, 2011 at 11:25 am

OH, she is so darn cute! Mommy & Me yoga sound perfect.

I was just catching up with your posts… My Dad recently retired to AZ and we were there a couple weeks ago. Beautiful sun, but I don’t know that I could deal with the summer heat…! Your requirements of a retirement utopia sound pretty perfect— I hope you all find it!

If ever you make it to Oregon, I’d love to meet up with you, too! :-)

HEAB March 21, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Amber,
I’ll let you know. I’ve been trying to get CD up to OR for years as I think he would love it. Bend is on our list of utopias. :)

Krista C. March 23, 2011 at 3:39 am

Bend is awesome! I spent 2 weeks hiking in that area and it is truly amazing. I think is almost meets your criteria for retirement.

Matt March 21, 2011 at 11:29 am

Sweet potato + bacon = epic.

Emily March 21, 2011 at 11:32 am

Aw. Summer is sweetness enough, isn’t she? :)

HEAB March 21, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Emily,
Yes, yes she is. :)

Erin @ Big Girl Feats March 21, 2011 at 11:33 am

Oh my cuteness. Adorable!! Summer is so sweet. I enjoy that you’re putting in savoring items. I sooo gravitate towards sweet and really need to work in the sour/savory into my diet.

Ricki March 21, 2011 at 11:34 am

That photo of Summer in the tutu is too, too (tutu?) cute!! She looks soooo happy to be wearing her girlie outfit! :D

Thanks for the shout-out re: the halvah. It really is a guilt-free indulgence. I know what you mean about focusing on too many “desserty” items (guilty as well) but funny, to me, sweet potatoes look like dessert! ;) Looks yummy.

HEAB March 21, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Ricki,
I feel the same. I swear, I’m just as happy with an ooey gooey baked sweet potato as I would be with a piece of chocolate cake, and I don’t get that gross feeling after eating it – love that!

Jean March 21, 2011 at 11:35 am

We have a recipe in our family that we call “Bean Stuff” – lots of different kinds of beans and some ground beef. :-) I’m going to have to try your method of eating savory to stop the sugar cravings – although I’m not sure it will work with chocolate…

HEAB March 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Jean,
I’m still eating lots of chocolate…let’s not get too crazy now. ;)

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey March 21, 2011 at 11:42 am

Summer is too precious!! I hope your sugar-free period during lent is going well. You are awesome for doing that. :) I keep meaning to make your scookies!

lindsay March 21, 2011 at 11:51 am

I think we all might need to get the recipe for “the stuff.” it looks too good. I love summers little smiles. too cute!

HEAB March 21, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Lindsay,
The Stuff was basically a meaty/bean medley chili without a lot of spices. Yummy. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 21, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Awww, Summer looks so adorable and happy in her tutu!! :)

Are you still eating fruit or does that count as sugar?

HEAB March 21, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Jenn,
In my mind, fructose = sugar, but I’m still eating fruit here and there. That being said, I never ate much of it before giving up sugar for Lent anyway.

Evan Thomas March 21, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I would take a sweet potato hash dish with bacon over dessert any say.

courtney March 21, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Looks like you have a little Pea on your hands! Such a cutie :)

carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) March 21, 2011 at 12:30 pm

WHAT A CUTE little bundle of fun! she is adorable!

my little celebration March 21, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Summer is definitely a tutu girl!

kristi (sweet cheeks) March 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Heather I can SO relate to this post!! I just posted something similar yesterday. Savory is where it’s at!

Ana March 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Oh my, this is the cutest picture of Summer, she brightened up my day with that smile and tutu!!!
Precious, precious little girl you have Heather, so happy for you! :-)

Lea @ Healthy Coconut March 21, 2011 at 1:01 pm

So cute, she can pass for being one the Pea family, the little peas younger sister. Her cheeks are definitely getting chubby…love, love chubby babies.

Your stir fries always look so appetizing Heather. I used to make stir-fry with tahini before, got the idea from you, but haven’t done it in awhile, this post got me thinking about it again

Corey @ the runners cookie March 21, 2011 at 1:07 pm

It feels like Summer is growing SO quickly!! That picture just put a huge smile on my face :) What an adorable outfit!

Jen March 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Cute outfit!!!!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 21, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Is that Summer’s outfit for yoga? Super cutie pie :D

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Summer looks hap-pea-er than ever. :)

Mama Pea March 21, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I knew this was Diana’s comment without even looking twice.

Baking 'n' Books March 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Little ballerina! Too cute.

“The Stuff” – ah yes, I eat that every night :)

Okay, so I have to jump on this bacon train…all bacon has sodium stuff added to it right? Cause that’s the only kinds around here. Nothing with just “bacon” or “pork’s behind” as the ingredients….;)

Renée March 21, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Good idea shifting the focus to savoury foods!

Summer’s outfit is so cute! Love the tutu!

Kelsey March 21, 2011 at 2:05 pm

um, Summer is the cutest baby ever!! Love her tutu!

Good idea on focusing on savory dishes. I’ve been fixating on “replacements” too. But I AM craving sugar/desserts less. Love when that happens!

clare March 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm

AWWW! Super sweet tutu. Love the savories…mmm bacon.

When lent is over, you must try candied bacon with peanut butter and banana.

sarah (sarah learns) March 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm

oh my gosh! summer is just the cutest little thing! :) i love the tutu!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Why is summer so darn cute?! Have fun!:)

Kara March 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Summer is looking SO big! That tutu is great, my mom just got one of those for my baby too :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm

“instead of trying to satisfy my sweet tooth with sugar free goodies, I’m trying to incorporate more savory dishes”–

It’s so interesting the way our life and our perspective on life and things can change when we change the way we think about things and come at things from a different angle. I love the shift in thinking; that was a very wise person who told you that! And you,even wiser for listening, pondering, and tweaking things a bit.

I didnt give up sugar for Lent or otherwise :) But I also don’t “healthify” my desserts. I have two distinct thoughts: eat lots of fresh produce AND don’t sell myself short on that one, perfect, full cal, full fat, full sugar dessert. It works for me to be that way but everyone has to do what works for them.

The tutu…omg TOO PRECIOUS!!!!!

Hope you guys are settling in back home ok :)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 21, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Oh, giving up sugar is a great idea! I’m doing the same currently (again, after i sneaked in again …), and I also follow the savory food strategy. Works the best. And stir fries are my favorite weapon. Yours looks delish, I could dive right into it! :D

S @ extremebalance.net/blog March 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm

ME, TOO! And ME, TOO!

(Also on the sugar, and also on trying to focus on savoury to squeeze out the sweet)…

Is this a seasonal affliction, do you think? Maybe towards the end of winter our bodies start inching towards sugar for a little serotonin boost when we’re feeling READY for all things green and spring-like?

HEAB March 21, 2011 at 9:58 pm

S,
Makes total sense. I know I always get down in the winter and by March, I am in desperate need of some sunshine. Perhaps sugar is my sunshine substitute…definitely NOT good.

Dorry March 21, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I think of all these things to say in your comments, then Bam! You hit us with an adorable picture of Summer, and everything goes out the window. :)

Courtney (greeneyedrunner) March 21, 2011 at 3:45 pm

AGREED! And then I can’t leave the comment quickly enough to go back and look at the picture!

Courtney (greeneyedrunner) March 21, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I can never navigate away from your blog! First, the amazing food, and now, the gorgeous Summer! The tutu is beyond adorable, and I love the smile on her face!

Mama Pea March 21, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I have a new screensaver now. Is it bad that it’s not even my own kid? Nah.

nicole March 21, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Heather!!!! That tutu is sooooo freaking cute!! Omg every picture of Summer is cuter and cuter. So glad you made it home safe!!! <3

Pam March 21, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Oh Heather – your little girl is adorable!

I love the look on her face – from the pics you’ve posted, it seems she has a very expressive little face, and it’s wonderful!

Happy days to you and yours

Pam x

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 21, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Awww what a precious tutu! She’s adorable to the max.

Hannah March 21, 2011 at 4:52 pm

“The Stuff” = hilarious! I’ve got rather a sweet tooth (well, a dessert tooth as I don’t like things sickly sweet) so I’m kinda barracking for the halvah here… ;)

Jen March 21, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I always notice that I crave less sweets when I eat more savory meals too! I think that goes for everyone. The more sweet treats you eat, the more you want. And Summer looks adorable! She has the cutest blue eyes.

Kelly March 21, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I love Summer’s outfit…Mama Pea is SO sweet!! :)

Ashlei March 21, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I’ve been having stir fries for lunch or dinner almost every day too – definitely makes it easier to not eat sweets with the savory taste in my mouth.

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) March 21, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I should probably work on eating more savory food too. I just have such a big sweet tooth! :D But all your delicious looking meals might convert me ;)

Have a fantastic time with your beautiful daughter! She’s getting so big so quickly!

Katherine: Unemployed March 21, 2011 at 6:10 pm

that tutu is going to be a favorite; I’m calling it now…

Erin March 21, 2011 at 6:19 pm

That is the cutest picture I have ever seen!!!!!!

Katie March 21, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Actually you stole our good weather! Its snowing…

I want some of the stuff.

Monica March 21, 2011 at 6:47 pm

That picture of Summer is adorable! Makes me hope I have a girl on the way, even though I thought I wanted a boy! :) I want tutus in my life!

Bacon with anything and everything is magical!

rebecca lustig March 21, 2011 at 7:51 pm

oh my gosh, that face!!! PRECIOUS.

I look froward to the day I do mommy and me yoga with my kid… but i can wait :)

Mary March 21, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Oh, Heather .. I can see why you are in love!

Summer is ready to go! She is so charming and beautiful!

MM

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm

That picture of Summer makes me smile! Too cute. I agree that more savory dishes=less sugar cravings.

michelle March 21, 2011 at 8:33 pm

She is so freakin yummy! I signed my girls (when they were little) up for kinder gym just so that I could go and by $200 worth of tutu’s and hair pieces…even though every other toddler just had on leotards and tights :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 21, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Oh my gosh, Summer has got to be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. So adorable!

Amelia March 21, 2011 at 10:46 pm

That squash casserole dish looks delicious! Let us know how the recipe turns out.

Summer gets more adorable with each picture you post. What a cute tutu!

Alexandra March 21, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Oh my goodness, that is the most adorable picture! Little Heab is just precious!

That dish looks yummy. Will be back tomorrow for the recipe! :)

charlotte March 21, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Oh you know how I love me a little girl in a tutu! (Or a big girl in a tutu… hee!) I still need to try those scookies… thanks for the reminder!

Marty March 22, 2011 at 12:16 am

OMG – that is the most precious picture of Summer! I just love, love, love it!

I’ll be back here for the recipe tomorrow too, though most likely I’ll have to Marty-izit!

xoxoxoxox,m

Lorne March 22, 2011 at 4:44 am

That tutu is gorgeous on Summer! Awwww, so cute :0)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free March 22, 2011 at 6:49 am

That is so true! When I first gave up sugar, all I ate was savory foods so it really wasn’t that hard. Then I went through a phase where I really wanted sweets, so I made a bunch of sugar-free desserts to satisfy my sweet tooth ;)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free March 22, 2011 at 6:50 am

And goodness gracious, SUmmer looks adorable in her tutu!!! Do I see a future ballerina??

kristina @ Life as Kristina March 22, 2011 at 8:35 am

Summer is getting cuter and cuter! Can’t wait to hear whats in the recipe for tonights dinner!

Hayley March 22, 2011 at 10:33 am

I’m so envious that you and the Pea Family got to meet each other! You guys are bloggers I would LOVE to get together with. :) How adorable does Summer look in that outfit? Then again, what does Summer NOT look adorable in? I’m envious of all the hair she has…Chloe’s still working on hers.

Miava March 22, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I’ve noticed that you use ghee. Why? I’m just curious.

HEAB March 22, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Miava,
My body doesn’t handle dairy proteins very well (whey & casein). Therefore, I try and stick with full fat dairy products low in dairy protein, and I’ve read that ghee contains little to no casein since the milk proteins are removed.

Miava March 23, 2011 at 10:15 am

One more question: what effect was high dairy proteins making on your body? … I’ve never read any blog, or any story, that relates as closely to my body and struggles as yours. I’m intrigued. And now full of questions! I hope you don’t mind.

HEAB March 23, 2011 at 11:32 am

Miava,
Nope, don’t mind at all – it’s why I blog. :)
You can read about why I chose to eat less dairy here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/04/15/youre-going-to-give-up-greek-yogurt/.

natalie (the sweets life) March 23, 2011 at 2:04 pm

i’m with you on sweet potatoes & bacon! We’ve been making a lot of sweet potato hash (http://www.thesweetslife.com/2011/03/sweet-potato-hash.html) and adding bacon! Amazing how much flavor a little bacon can add! :)

Christin@purplebirdblog March 25, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Summer’s sweet face is the perfect thing I need to see to end my Friday on an awesome note. xo

{ 1 trackback }