I Really Am A SAHM

by HEAB on March 22, 2011

Summer and I made it to Mommy & Me Yoga yesterday and had such a good class. We’ve reached the stage where Summer no longer sleeps on the go, and I’m trying really hard to be home for her naps. Problem is I don’t always know when that will be, and so it’s hard to plan things. We missed yoga last week due to our trip, and the week before involved a minor melt down, resulting in us leaving class 5 minutes after it started. That was when I realized I needed to be home for nap time. Hopefully, over the next month, Summer will get on more of a regular nap schedule, but until then, I’m staying put as both mama and baby are much happier when nap time does not get interrupted. It’s been good for me as I am always on the go, and I often forget to slow down. Besides, I don’t ever mind being at home with Summer, just the two of us. Only thing missing is CD. :)

On our way to yoga…

That’s my new I M Yoga Bag, and I’m kind of obsessed with it. I learned about this particular bag from Krystal who uses her’s for just about everything but her yoga mat. The bag was a gift. I’m getting more and more picky when it comes to the products I agree to review on my blog, but this one I definitely wanted to share with you guys. My Manduka Prolite mat (best yoga mat ever!) fits perfectly inside, and I love that the bag has both a zipper and a flap. You can wear it on one shoulder or across your chest, and there is a nifty little double compartment on the inside to hold your essentials plus a key ring. It’s super sturdy, and I’m contemplating using it as a diaper bag…I think my days of carrying around nothing but a wallet and tube of chapstick are over. Anyway, the bag is great, and you can purchase one of your own on Etsy.

Now, onto the food. As promised, yesterday’s casserole recipe…

The finished product…

Inspired by Katie’s Vegan Polenta Casserole.

Instead of polenta, I made a chickpea flour crust using this method (double the recipe) and then baked it in a ghee greased casserole dish for 25 minutes at 350℉.

For the veggie layer, I sauteed yellow and green squash, 1 red bell pepper, 1 small onion, and some chopped kale in 1 TBSP ghee for 5 minutes, and allowed the veggies to cook covered for 5 minutes. I then removed the lid and added 1 TBSP Nama Shoyu, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 TBSP Italian seasonings, 2/3 cup pasta sauce (for those of you watching your sugar intake, most commercial brand pasta sauces have added sugar. So, read your label or just use tomato sauce or paste), and 1/2 cup water. After the veggies + sauce simmered over low heat for another few minutes, I poured them over my chickpea crust along with 2 heaping TBSP of nutritional yeast and placed the casserole back in the oven for 35 minutes.

Delicious eaten alongside a plain oven baked sweet potato…

Somebody just woke up from her morning nap…gotta go. Have a good day!

chocolate-covered katie March 22, 2011 at 9:20 am

I still cannot believe you have a little cheapo camera. Your photos are SO vibrant! Kinda like you in general ;) .

Thanks so much for the shout out; I’m always honored, dear Heather.

Enjoy your playtime with super-cute Summer!!

Ellie@fitforthesoul March 22, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Wowww! I can’t believe that either!! I would have never guessed, they look so clear and everything :)

HEAB March 23, 2011 at 7:13 am

Thanks Ellie,
Yep, I just have a Canon point and shoot. I find that getting really close to the food, using my macro setting, and taking pics in natural daylight really helps.

Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 22, 2011 at 9:27 am

Lovely that you’re taking Summer to a mom and little ones yoga class! Makes her acquainted with some of life’s great sides from the very beginning! I hope she’ll establish some napping regularity soon, so you get more rest!

Your food, as always, looks absolutely delicious! I’m so much a veggie girl, so I always drool over your pictures. :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats March 22, 2011 at 9:29 am

Love the yoga bag. I am on the lookout for a new one, so this is super helpful info :) Good to know re the Manduka too – I have a Jade that is wearing out so have been wondering about MAnduka.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin March 22, 2011 at 9:33 am

That picture of you and Summer is TOO cute. Motherhood really suits you!

Melissa Cline March 22, 2011 at 9:36 am

I have a favorite sleep book, if you’re interested. It’s called Sleepless in America and written by the author of Raising Your Spirited Child. It has helped the quality of Adam’s sleep and is very gentle. I too miss the days when Adam was soooooo flexible/portable and would sleep anywhere!

HEAB March 22, 2011 at 10:25 am

Melissa, I haven’t heard of that one. Been reading Good Night, Sleep Tight by Kim West, and it’s helped a ton. Off to Google Sleepless in America. Thanks! :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 22, 2011 at 9:38 am

What exactly do you DO in mom & baby yoga?

HEAB March 22, 2011 at 10:24 am

Samantha,
We do a lot of stretching in the beginning to warm up while our babies lie on blankets in front of us. Then we do some down dogs and lots of ab work. Most moms put their babies on their stomachs during the pelvic tilts, etc. Summer loves the abs portion of class. We usually do lots of squat and always walk around the room lifting our knees to chest while holding our babies. We then end class by playing games on the floor and singing, like Wheels on the Bus, Itsy Bitsy Spider, etc. Savasana = cuddle time with baby. It’s a good workout for me, and Summer gets playtime and lots of love. :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 22, 2011 at 10:27 am

That sounds kinda cool. Especially cuddling during savasana (and I’m not usually a big fan of cuddling!). It sorta reminds me of mom & tots swim class that I used to take when I was 3 or 4. I remember loving that class!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 22, 2011 at 9:50 am

My kids NEVER napped. It was so frustrating. I was never a good napper either, so I guess they get that from me. It can definitely make melt downs rough! Dinner looks perfect and you just made me hungry! Love the chickpea crust idea! Seriously, that is my kind of meal! Have a great day Heather!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 22, 2011 at 9:54 am

I have been using chickpea flour in 90% of what I make lately, ha! It’s so good, so easy, so forgiving. Love it. I’m wondering if it feels more stressful for some to go to a mommy and me yoga class, rather than just a “regular” one. Or do you just get used to lots of baby noises (aka crying, ha) as a mom, so it doesn’t throw off your practice? Hm. I love the concept! Clearly I’m not a mother yet, as my questions make obvious… :) Hope you have a wonderful day with your beautiful daughter — Beth is right, motherhood totally suits you ;)

HEAB March 22, 2011 at 10:18 am

Katie,
I am using chickpea flour all the time too – it’s so versatile and easy. Love that stuff!

As far as the yoga class goes, I think someone without a baby might find the class kind of stressful, but it’s been wonderful for me. Our instructor always tell us at the beginning of class that our babies noises are part of the class. So, we all laugh if one baby starts talking or giggling, and no one bats an eye if a baby starts crying, needs to eat, or requires a diaper change. As a new mom, it’s comforting to know that I can get in some yoga, and no one will glare at me if Summer starts to cry. It’s a very supportive environment, and I’m so grateful for the classes.

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 22, 2011 at 11:58 am

That’s awesome! :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 22, 2011 at 9:55 am

Love all the veggies in that dish! Looks so delicious and colorful. Yum!

Kara March 22, 2011 at 10:04 am

My baby won’t nap on the go anymore either. I miss that!

I really wish they had a Mommy and me yoga class near me, that sounds fun (well, except for the meltdowns, lol)

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 22, 2011 at 10:22 am

That bag is sweet — you could fit tons of stuff in there.

That pic of you and Summer is so sweet!

Danielle March 22, 2011 at 10:27 am

Ahhhh, yoga…I love everything about yoga but somehow I always find a way to put it off. You’ve just inspired me to get back into it again. :) P.S. – That little girl of yours is ADORABLE! Hope all is well in life, love and motherhood! Positive vibes…Danielle

Katherine: Unemployed March 22, 2011 at 10:30 am

Summer looks excited to go! too cute!

I saw the most precious baby zonked out in her mother’s cart at target the other day. Seriously, she was like a bag of flour with none of the hectic-ness bothering her. I wish we all could sleep on the go like that

Mary @ Bites and Bliss March 22, 2011 at 10:38 am

That Mommy and Me yoga class sounds so cute. :) I’m sure she’ll grow up loving yoga now!

glidingcalm March 22, 2011 at 10:55 am

that picture is tooooooooooooooooooooo sweet (of you two!). she is soooo precious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy March 22, 2011 at 10:59 am

I’m giggling reading this because I used to have to go out just for my baby to nap- car ride, walk, etc. He’s just 3 months now and seems to just crave his crib. Go figure! Here’s to establishing a nap schedule!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods March 22, 2011 at 10:59 am

Thanks for the review- I’m actually in need of a yoga mat tote. This one looks great!

janetha @ meals and moves March 22, 2011 at 11:08 am

I love that photo of you two! You are gorgeous, HEABs. That casserole is amazing. I have made 7 casseroles in the past week, I am not even joking! I love them!

Katie March 22, 2011 at 11:08 am

I need to slow down too. You know…next week. ;)

Emily March 22, 2011 at 11:13 am

I was just thinking of you yesterday and wondering how you and Summer had been and then I read your post. I love that you go to Mommy and Me yoga, so sweet :) I am trying to follow your savory over sweet foods kick; my sugar habit has been pretty good lately but in the last week it’s been out of control! Hope all is well :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope March 22, 2011 at 11:26 am

Awww, you are both so cute! Love that you’re taking Mommy and Me yoga classes. I actually teach Power Vinyasa yoga, and I have a Manduka prolite mat myself and ALWAYS recommend it to others. It’s AMAZING! :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 22, 2011 at 11:31 am

What a fun thing to do with your daughter! I would love to do that when I have kids :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 22, 2011 at 11:57 am

I love the idea of a chickpea flour crust! That looks delicious!

Special K March 22, 2011 at 11:57 am

ooooh…..you are so sweet and cute! Super uber glad that YOU fit the bag….not the other way around!

Laura March 22, 2011 at 12:01 pm

That looks amaaaaaaazing!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 22, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Now I want a baby as cute as Summer :)

Sagan March 22, 2011 at 12:22 pm

My aunt (mother of toddler twin girls) says that there’s no such thing as a “regular” sleep schedule :) I guess it’s good to be flexible!

Your yoga bag is awesome.

Natalia - a side of simple March 22, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Mommy + me yoga = adorable. Hope you’re having a great day, Heather!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins March 22, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Ohhh be still, my veggie loving heart! This looks phenom – I could see myself splitting open the sweet potater and pouring the veggie goodness on top of it mmmm. Thanks for the great idea!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 22, 2011 at 1:16 pm

The casserole looks awesome!

And so do you with summer and your yoga bag…everything….everyone…is just too cute!

Naps. Omg you MUST stay home, and drop everything, to accommodate naptime. Well, you don’t have to, but I sure did :) Naptime is a salvation b/c Summer gets her sleep and is less cranky as a result and you get planned on “mommy downtime” which makes you able to get a breather, get stuff done, and having that time will make you (or it did me) less edgy. Without naps, or if something messed up naptime, that day…both emotionally and moods and everything….was shot. I stayed home and re-did schedules based on naptime. And you know what, it was worth every second!

Of course, everyone’s different but naptime = sacred time :)

Jen March 22, 2011 at 1:20 pm

My son is 3, but since he was about 9 months old, his naptime has been at 1pm every day. I no longer make plans if they are in the afternoon because he is SUCH a bear if he doesn’t get that nap!!! Plus, nap time = mommy time :)

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel March 22, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I had to read this post twice before I figured out what SAHM stood for. Brain fart, I guess :)

Lola March 22, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I love your yoga bag, it’s so gypsi-like and cute :)

I’m here to invite everybody to the Giveaway I’m having on my blog!! I’ll be giving away a bag of mexican goodies: candies, horchata, chocolate, coffee, etc. drop by! ;)

xoxo
Lola

nicole March 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I love the Etsy site. I have a friend who sells wedding stuff on there. It’s so easy to get caught up on there for hours lol

Michelle {lively kitchen} March 22, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Wise mama – sometimes putting yourself on their schedule instead of forcing them into yours (which hardly ever worked for my kids) is a good lesson to learn. A rested baby is a happy baby and a happy baby usually leads to a rested and happy mama.

Are you sure this is your first baby? You seem to avoid so many of the beginner mistakes. :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm

That picture of you and Summer is adorable!! I’ll bet she’ll settle into a schedule soon and then life will get more predictable again. I remember feeling trapped in the house when Meghan was that little, but it does go by fast.

Amelia March 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Glad the casserole turned out yummy!

In all of my years of being a nanny, I realized just how important nap time is. Nap time= happy baby= good days. At the same time though, once I would figure out a good routine, they would go through another growth spurt and nap schedule would change.

Have a great day!

Baking 'n' Books March 22, 2011 at 3:17 pm

That is my kind of meal! So the crust is on the bottom? Looks great.

Emily March 22, 2011 at 3:51 pm

The bag looks great. And I totally agree: the Prolite mats are the best!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 22, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Enjoy your time with your little joy! That looks like such a nice yoga bag. My mat goes bag free… But I really only carry it from downstairs to upstairs.

The Teenage Taste March 22, 2011 at 4:17 pm

That cassarole looks delicious! Glad your enjoying more savory dishes and keeping up with your Lenten promise! Have a great week HEAB! :-)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day March 22, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Yum! That casserole looks so good!

I loved being a SAHM… although I guess I was really a WAHM since I had a small cookie business I ran out of my house..

HEAB March 22, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Mel,
Well, technically I guess I’m a BAHM – Blogger At Home Mom. ;)

melissa @ the delicate place March 22, 2011 at 6:34 pm

i have the manduka pro lite mat too in ‘midnight’ and i LOVE it. it’s such a great mat! that casserole looks amazing!

Holly March 22, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Ah, Heather, you’re killing me! I just ordered a new yoga mat and was debating between Aurorae and Manduka. Your mention of Aurorae swayed me. Granted, I ordered the Northern Lights model which I think is different than yours. I don’t mean to make you play dueling yoga mats. I’m very excited to get it! Just warn me if I’ll be disappointed — there’s a three day return guarantee. ;)

You are looking so beautiful! The mat bag is cute, but Summer is cuter. ;)

HEAB March 22, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Thanks Holly!
I like my Aurorae mat, but truth be told, the Manduka will always be my favorite. That being said, I’ve never tried the Northern Lights model, and so you never know. You’ll have to let me know what you think. :)

Pure2raw Twins March 22, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Loving the pics of you and Summer heading to yoga, so cute!!! Makes me miss my niece, she is now learning how to swim, my sister sent us a video the other day of her swimming and she is not even 1 yet :) It was so cute!

And now this is the second casserole dish I have seen in the blog world today, I guess it is a sign I need to make one for the BF since he has requested it like a few days ago ;)

HEAB March 22, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Pure2Raw,
I want to take swim lessons with Summer. My mom had me in the pool when I was an infant, and I never remember NOT being able to swim. Love the water, and yes, you need to make a casserole. :)

Heather @ kissmybroccoli March 22, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Mmm…veggies galore! I love it! And I love that you used the chickpea flour! Sounds like you and Summer are on your way to a good schedule…baby steps right? (pun totally intended)!

A Teenage Gourmet March 22, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Summer has such an awesome mommy! She better know how lucky she is. ;)

amy March 22, 2011 at 11:32 pm

taking the time to get bubs into a good sleeping routine is totally worth it! my little boy was an awful sleeper… we actually went to sleep school for him cause he never wanted to sleep… and i learnt all kinds of things from those experienced nurses (although i’m not sure i could ever do all of them!)… but we spent a hardcore month training/teaching/encouraging him to sleep… and he became a much much better sleeper (and me a much happier mummy :)

p.s- this is probably not to right place to ask, but i’ve been trying to make my own coconut butter- thanks so much for the tips on how to do that! i’m wondering does your food processor get really hot being on so long? i have a kitchenaid and i’m terrified i’m going to burn the motor out running it for so long… cause it gets so hot… and it was a very $$ present from hubbie so i don’t wanna break it :) perhaps i just need a cheapy machine for the task so it won’t matter?

HEAB March 23, 2011 at 7:49 am

Amy,
Sleep school – that is great. I’ve read several books that stress the importance of sleep, and I’ve found the advice to be so true. I was really underestimating the amount of sleep Summer needed or mistaking her tiredness for hunger. We’re still getting it all figured out, but things are soooo much better now that we have her on more of a regular nap schedule. She really can’t be awake for more than 2 hours or she gets overtired, and then things tend to go downhill from there.

As far as the coconut butter goes, no my food processor has never gotten really hot. I mean it gets warm, but it never smells like it’s burning or smoking, etc. I wouldn’t recommend using a cheap food processor as a better model seems to make all the difference. People that have used less than stellar models don’t seem to get very good results when it comes to the coconut butter. I know some models will automatically shut off if the motor gets too hot. You then just have to allow it to cool off before using again. So, perhaps check your manual and see if that is the case with your KitchenAid. Hope you’re enjoying some coconut butter soon!

Hannah March 22, 2011 at 11:52 pm

This looks marvellous, Heather! And I can only aspire to be as amazing a SAHM mum as you. Sadly, I can’t foresee ever not being single, so I’ll probably have to accept the aspirations as just that. :P

HEAB March 23, 2011 at 7:43 am

Hannah,
You never know. I never dated anyone for more than 3 months before I met Chris. We started hanging out one day, and we have literally seen each other every day since. I got so sick of hearing, “When you meet the right one, you just know.”, but it was so true with CD. So, I wouldn’t plan on being single for forever.

Marina March 23, 2011 at 12:45 am

I hope this time yoga went well :)
The casserole sounds great, I really liked the socca pizza I made, inspired by you, so I guess I should make this one as well!

michelle March 23, 2011 at 1:32 am

I’ve got the chickpea tofu in the fridge right now…I can’t wait to try it

HEAB March 23, 2011 at 7:17 am

Michelle,
Well, what did you think?

michelle March 24, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Instead of putting it in the fridge I baked it for 10 min at 400 F then I let it cool off and crumbled it on top of cottage cheese with cinnamon and coconut butter. I’m in love :)

HEAB March 24, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Michelle,
That sounds delicious. Bet it would be really good with some cocoa added to the chickpea tofu. Might try that atop some goat milk yogurt or something. Yum!

michelle March 24, 2011 at 9:59 pm

You may have created a monster :)

Ricki March 23, 2011 at 8:00 am

I love using chickpea flour for just about everything. Socca pizza is our fave around here right now, topped with pesto, peppers, olives, artichoke hearts and my own recipe for faux ground “beef”. I’ve used it to make sweet pancakes, too, but never did think about a crumbly/crunchy topping! Looks like it’s time to start playing int he kitchen again. :)

Lissa March 23, 2011 at 8:27 am

I totally feel you on the needing to be home for naps situation! Maya FINALLY got on a good nap/sleep schedule week 11 of my 12-week maternity leave and that’s when we changed direction and I made a point to be home during her rest times and if she fell asleep in the carrier while we were out, so be it … but I needed to get her on a more rigid napping schedule before she went to “baby school.” ;)

nadia March 23, 2011 at 9:12 am

I had to google SAHM. Sexy-and-hot-mama — DUH!!!!!! :)
XXXO
(casserole looks super!)

Tracy @ Commit To Fit March 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I love that yoga bag! I think I might use it for everything too. and your little one is absolutely adorable :)

{ 1 trackback }