A Sweet Morning of Venting

by HEAB on March 25, 2011

I usually try and keep things pretty lighthearted here on HEAB as no one wants to read a blog filled with negative rants…at least I don’t. Those kinds of posts bring me down, but today I’m having a bad day. So, in continuing with keeping it real, I’m going to tell you all about it and hopefully getting it out there will help me feel better.

I stayed up too late reading. I finally picked up The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and now I can’t put it down. I have a theory on who killed Harriet and can’t wait to see if I’m right. Anyway, I didn’t get enough sleep, and Summer decided to wake up a little earlier than usual. However, going to get her out of her crib first thing in the morning is my favorite part of the day. She is just so excited and gives me the biggest smile. Love love LOVE it. We ate, pumped, and played for about an hour and then it was nap time. By the time I got downstairs for breakfast, I was starving, and the Hangry monster reared it’s ugly head…let’s just say poor CD. Boy puts up with a lot but he’s used to it. He ignored my nagging, and proceeded to give me a BH (Big Hug). Thanks CD.

As you know, I gave up sugar for Lent, and I’ve been trying to incorporate more savory meals into my diet. A typical breakfast as of late…

Scrambled eggs with Applegate Farms turkey sausage, and a chickpea flour pancake topped with Kerrygold butter. So good.

However, this morning, I wanted a bowl of sugar laced carbs filled with a big piece of cake covered in frosting with ice-cream, but I made this instead…

Oat bran cooked in water and topped with a sugar-free version of Sarena’s 7-Minute Icing, sunflower seed butter, and cinnamon.

For the frosting, I simply subbed 1/4 cup NuNaturals stevia baking blend for the 3/4 cup sugar. It wasn’t quite the same, but it got the job done. However, now I feel kind of gross…and I still want cake.

Bear with me. I’m on a roll…

It’s time to pump, but I’d rather throw my Medela Symphony out the window.

Let’s compare Nashville’s upcoming weekend weather to Scottsdale’s, shall we?

Screen shot 2011-03-25 at 9.04.25 AM.pngScreen shot 2011-03-25 at 9.04.53 AM.png

Arizona, I miss you!!! However, I shouldn’t complain. At least there is no snow in our forecast.

My dogs are driving me crazy. Anyone want to take them on a walk…a really long walk?

And last but not least, will someone please tell me what is going on in Japan? Every time I turn on Headline News, all I hear about is Charlie Sheen. Charlie, I could care less about your long lost poetry.

OK, that’s it. Thanks for allowing me to vent. I feel better. Summer is awake now, and I think I’m going to strap her on for a walk as that always makes me happy…

p_00024.jpg

She likes to face-plant on my chest and go to sleep. :)

nevernotdreaming March 25, 2011 at 10:28 am

Hello Heather,
I feel for you. I’m dealing with a need to vent/cry/hide/scream all the time also. Good for you for venting.
If you can turn on the Nightly news with Brian Williams or Diane Sawyer, you’ll see some of the world’s happenings – I tend to become immersed in those programs. Can be quite depressing at times though.

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 25, 2011 at 10:30 am

I’m sorry that it’s been a rough go! Thanks for being transparent — there’s nothing wrong with that, especially since you are usually so positive on here. I hope you feel better after a nice long walk with your precious little girl. Lots of love to you.

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Thanks Katie. Much love to you as well. :)

Lesley Lifting Life March 25, 2011 at 10:30 am

I haven’t read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo yet, but I seem to see it everywhere. Maybe I’ll finally add it to the Kindle …

Hope you guys have a wonderful walk :) That’s such a cute face-plant sleeping picture!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Lesley,
It’s a good read – the kind of book that keeps you up late. A little violent though – some parts were quite upsetting actually.

Bonnie March 25, 2011 at 10:34 am

BH Heather, from Tucson.

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Aww, thanks Bonnie. We seriously want to move out there. Do you and Dean like it? We’re thinking Prescott.

Krista C. March 27, 2011 at 4:31 am

Prescott is awesome! It’s a pretty small town, though. Have you been to Flagstaff? It snows there in the winter but it is beautiful and sunny year round. It is only a 45 minute drive from the red rock area of Sedona and 2 1/2 hours away from the Grand Canyon.

Erica March 25, 2011 at 10:36 am

I’m loving the honesty this morning :) We all have days where things just totally feel off…and I’m sure these are even more common when you have a baby and two pups to take care of! Hope the walk is fantastic

Jessica (fitandclean) March 25, 2011 at 10:38 am

Don’t feel bad! We all have days like those. It’s better to keep it real and get it out; it can help you feel better. I just finished a 2 week no sugar challenge and it was amazing (and HARD!). I can guarantee that you will feel better for eliminating the sugar out of your diet! (which I’m sure you know :) ) I haven’t used stevia in my food, but I use erythrytol which isn’t as sweet and more like actual sugar (I think). It may work better for you! I also understand about the dogs ;) mine are crazy! I hope your day goes better. Take a nap with the baby this afternoon!!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Jessica,
The NuNaturals baking blend contains Erythrytol, and it’s good. Sometimes, it’s almost too sweet though – a little of that stuff definitely goes a long way!

BethT March 25, 2011 at 10:38 am

I’m in the same place as you. Frustrated and annoyed about a lot of little things! For me, I’m needing to vent about a bad haircut/dye job, the stress of moving to a new place in a week, the fact that my body won’t let go of these last 10 preggo pounds… whine whine whine. I think it’s normal for this time in both of our post-partum journeys. :) Have a lovely weekend.

Carolyn March 25, 2011 at 10:38 am

Don’t read about Japan.. basically all you need to know is.. meltdown, core, rods, water, bad, death., dishonesty…

Believe me go for a walk instead and listen to this video :-)

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Carolyn,
Oh my gosh, that’s amazing. Made me smile – thank you!

Holly @ The Runny Egg March 25, 2011 at 10:39 am

Oh Heather — thanks for keeping it real!

When I was reading The Hunger Games books I was staying up waaay too late and then I was cranky the next day. Jason asked me to take a day off of work to finish the dang book and then I would be in a better mood!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Holly,
That is great – too bad I can’t take a day off from mommy-hood, but I’ve got a small window of opportunity as I just put Summer down for a nap. Going to try and fit in a little email and reading. :)

Jenn (eating bender) March 25, 2011 at 10:41 am

It’s ALWAYS good to vent. I’m very excited that included in this post was your new read. I love the Dragon Tattoo series! I can’t wait to hear more about your theory and what you think of it once you are finished. :)

I’ve definitely found myself in a bit of a funk lately as well, and am finding that writing – both for myself or through blogging – has been very helpful. It can be scary sometimes for me to put out there “what I really think” but I always feel better when I do.

Have a great weekend, Heather! I miss Arizona, too!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Jenn,
I think we just both need to move to AZ – seriously, I am entirely different person in all that sunshine!

Well, Martin Vanger was just exposed as a total psycho, but now I’m confused as to to who killed Harriet. Just put Summer down for a nap, and I hope to get in a little reading.

Hope you and Bobby are doing well!

Julie March 25, 2011 at 10:44 am

Heather! You always make me smile. I totally hear you. The whole lent thing is so hard. Any time we try to give up something I feel like it just makes us want it 100 times more. You are doing such a great job of making savory meals look good, and making delish sweet breakfasts with stevia. I have never tried stevia just because it is so new to me…but this morning, I realized that I had almost finished a 2 POUND bag of brown sugar over the course of the past few weeks (maybe about 3 months) and that really grossed me out. I eat it on top of my oatmeal in the morning and this morning i decided that i needed to ask you about stevia. Is it really good? I think that 2 pounds of sugar is just too much for someone to consume no matter how long the time period. Any suggestions? Love your blog! If you are ever in SoCal let me know because I would love to get together with you! BTW it is freezing and rainy here today too!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Julie,
I do really like stevia. Some people say it’s an acquired taste, and well, I’ve definitely acquired it. I’ve been testing out a new brand that I’m going to reviewing for the blog (steviva). It’s good, but my favorite is still NuNaturals. Love their stevia packets and the vanilla liquid drops are so good in coffee. Definitely give it a try.

Would love to visit SoCal – actually forget visiting, would love to move there! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 25, 2011 at 10:52 am

Sometimes you have to rant. We all have to be real occasionally. Heck, I compared my life to an almost good cupcake yesterday. I was a little over dramatic on that one, but that’s how I felt. Your eats look perfect and yeah, cake does make things better. I have been eating a ton of 7 minute icing lately. Your breakfast looks delicious! I hope you get some time to rest today oh and I am so over the Charlie Sheen crap too. Seriously, it’s crazy how much attention he is getting for acting like a 2 year old!

Cat @ WellSavannah March 25, 2011 at 10:57 am

Heather,
Come visit Savannah…I see a beach trip in your future. Keep your fingers crossed that when I visit YOU soon that the weather will cooperate so we can take Ms. Summer & the pups for a looong walk so we can catch up. I hope you get a nap today followed by your walk. I totally relate to your rant…I’m thinking of disconnecting my cable because there really is impossible to get up to date news on national tv anymore it seems. Hummpff!

Happy Friday lovely mama!
Cat

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Cat,
Two words: MISS YOU!!! Get your booty to Nashville rain or shine. :)

Gavi @ Gavi Gets Going! March 25, 2011 at 11:05 am

I’m so sorry you’re having a rough day, Heather. This blog is a space for you to share your life–the good and the not so great–and I so appreciate your honesty. I hope things turn around for you soon. Sometimes, a BH (we call it that, too!) can totally change your mood or even your day! :)

Maren March 25, 2011 at 11:13 am

Hope you can let off some more steam on your walk! I woke up to five inches of HEAVY, WET snow on my car ughhh. not fun! AND I’m moving to Northern Minnesota tomorrow. Sweet life!! :) It is actually a pretty sweet life! Hope you have a great weekend despite the rain!

Dorry March 25, 2011 at 11:14 am

I loved that you vented! I think it’s incredibly important (in moderation) to just get those thoughts out of our head. Then we feel lighter and can take care of ourselves and those around us. If I lived nearby, I’d come walk your dogs for you! :)

Emilia March 25, 2011 at 11:18 am

Hehe, so, so adorable. Hang in there miss HEAB, you’re doing great at mama and life! One day Summer will be so grateful how you raised her up, because you’re such an awesome mama. :)
Have a good day!

Sarah March 25, 2011 at 11:19 am

Hi Heather,

I hope the walk is a good one! When you’re done with all three Dragon Tattoo books, I’ve got a recommendation for you. I’ve just gotten into another Swedish author to cope with PDTE (Post Dragon Tatoo Emptiness). His name is Henning Mankell. Do read.

Enjoy the walk!

Sarah

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Sarah – PDTE. You are too funny, but that does seem to be an epidemic these days. Thanks for the rec!

Carbzilla March 25, 2011 at 11:19 am

That’s the sweetest rant I’ve ever heard!

I think you’re one of three people I know who’ve just gotten back from AZ and are having post-vacation blues. Just be kind to yourself.

CNN has plenty of Japan coverage, but I can only take so much. Still, I’m grateful that I haven’t seen Charlie Sheen’s face since this whole thing started.

Hang in there, Heabs, and have a great weekend!

Matt March 25, 2011 at 11:21 am

Hang in there HEAB! Sending good vibes your way!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Thanks Matt. :)

my little celebration March 25, 2011 at 11:22 am

You are adorable. And every once in a while, I think it’s healthy to rant :D .

Mama Pea March 25, 2011 at 11:25 am

I feel you! My best friend went to Phoenix two weeks ago and got back right before we left. She was SO depressed. She said coming home was KILLLLING her. And now I believe it. I haven’t left the house since we got home, because it is miserable and rainy.

Throw a blanket in the dryer and then cover up with it and take a nap when Summer does this afternoon! You’ll feel so much better :)

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Thanks Mama Pea. Good advice. :)

Michelle {lively kitchen} March 25, 2011 at 11:33 am

Even your rants are somehow optimistic. I think some days are just best viewed as survival days, where your main goal is to make it to bedtime. If you have more than 2 in a row, then you need to start making changes, but one every now and again, I think is totally normal.

I love Mama Pea’s advice. I may take it myself…if only my kids would nap… maybe time to call in PBS Kids for reinforcement! Clifford and Curious George can be great babysitters from time to time. :)

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Michelle,
And they’re free! Babysitters are not cheap these days. ;)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope March 25, 2011 at 11:36 am

Aww, sorry it’s a tough day and we all need a little time to vent now and then. :) Hope today gets MUCH better as it goes on!

Clare @ Fitting It All In March 25, 2011 at 11:37 am

Glad you could vent! Don’t feel bad about being human:) I’ve been having terrible chocolate cravings too — I don’t know how to replace it!

As for Japan, I’m actually sick of not hearing OTHER news!! As far as I can tell they are still struggling with the radiation (yesterday the water radiation levels were better) but today they actually trudged through water with levels that were WAY too high and it might cause a big set back? Thank you aol.com news

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 25, 2011 at 11:38 am

Sorry that you’re having a bad day, but it’s good to vent! Let it all out, girl! I don’t think your rant was that bad at all. In fact, my daily posts are probably harsher than that, LOL. Nice, warm spring weather is on its way! Doesn’t seem like it, but a month from now all will be right. :)

That is so adorable how Summer buries her face in your chest!! Awwwww :)

Tracey March 25, 2011 at 11:40 am

It’s always good to vent once in awhile…it is wonderful that Summer likes the baby carrier, my 11 week old baby hates them all so far… any tips or did Summer always like them? I need to get out but she is MAD until she falls asleep!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Tracey,
I had a ring sling that I used those first few weeks. Summer liked it, but I never kept her in it for long. It was too cold to go on walks, and so I just had her in it for doing stuff around the house. The Mai Tei carrier is great – Summer didn’t like it at first, but she has grown into it now and likes being able to see – when I first put her in it, she was too small to see outside the top. Maybe your baby would like facing out better – do have have a carrier that will allow you to do that? The baby’s head might not be strong enough yet – not sure what age is recommended for facing out.

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy March 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I like when you vent because it makes me feel like a normal person!! :)

And if it makes you feel better, our 7 day forecast is all highs in the 40s. I thought it was spring — so depressing!!!

Rayna Mazer March 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Always good to vent a little !!! I did plenty of that dealing with injury this winter -ughh.. I just picked up and started The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo as well !!! i have heard alot and cant wait to get into the series :)

Sarah R March 25, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Vent away! We all need to blow off some steam every now and then. We woke up to snow with more on the way tomorrow, Charlie Sheen is ridiculous and doesn’t deserve any of the press that he’s getting. I mean seriously, they’re talking about over 20,000 people that are missing or deceased in Japan! I still don’t know how you’re surviving without sugar–one day would do me in. Hopefully your walk with the little one helped perk you up a bit!

Danielle March 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Mama said there’d be days like this huh? Its good to vent! I’m stuck at the beginning of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and cant get back into it…everyone says it gets better though so I will give it another shot. Hard to get leisure reading in with a 5 week old!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Danielle,
I know – my only time to read is at night b/c during Summer’s naps, I’m trying to do so much stuff around the house. Must get to bed earlier tonight! By the way – I didn’t get really into the book until about 50 pages in.

natalie March 25, 2011 at 12:28 pm

we all have days like you are having, so keeping it real is the way to go. I love getting my kids in the morning and I remember when it was just my Nick how getting him in the morning would make my day. Now both of them do and I just love getting kara out of her crib first thing, she’s sooo happy!

Susan March 25, 2011 at 12:38 pm

That book is AMAZING (so are the other 2!). I was the same way when I read them; I would stay up wayyy too late. But I secretly love when a book gets me that excited.\

We all need to vent sometimes. It helps to have a “safe space” (like your blog!) to do it. I think it’s better than unleashing our wrath on some poor soul who happens to be in the wrond place at the wrong time, don’t you think?

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Susan,
Haha, but I was a bit too late in blogging about my day, and hence CD = some poor soul. ;)

Catherine March 25, 2011 at 12:47 pm

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is so great! I just finished it last week, and finished the second book, The Girl Who Played With Fire on Wednesday. You are going to love it, such great twists! I was absolutely shocked by the twist in Dragon Tattoo. :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 25, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Aww, Heather, I’m sorry you’re having a bad day. I hope you have a great weekend despite the dismal forecast. :-)

Natalia - a side of simple March 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Did you know that on Sundays in the Catholic Church you can have what you “gave up” during Lent? That’s why there’s actually more than 40 days to Lent because it counts Sundays, but the actual fasting/sacrificing is Mon-Sat, which totals 40 days and represents the time Jesus spent in the desert being tempted by Satan. Personally, I find that if I have a bit of what I give up here and there on Sundays it encourages me to stay with it for the rest of the season and to really appreciate it even more.

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Natalia,
Yes, I heard that. Might have to attack the cookie stock in my freezer this Sunday. :)

Kiersten March 25, 2011 at 1:30 pm

It’s okay to rant on your blog. We all need a good rant every now and then. I hope the rest of your day has improved!

Tracy March 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Bless your heart!! Everyone deserves a good vent!!

lindsay March 25, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Oh HEAB, that rant was pricless. Feel free to vent anytime. Sometimes we just need it. If I wasn’t having any sugar for lent, I might have already bitten someones head off. Grrrr… But thats the point, right? sacrifice!
If I lived closer, I’d walk your pups with mine.

Ana March 25, 2011 at 1:59 pm

We all have bad days, take a deep breath, count to 10 (20 maybe!), ranting also helps and you have done that, so good for you! It will pass soon Heather, we all have been there…

michele March 25, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Sending positive vibes that your day turns around :) LOVE the series of books you are reading…the books have also been made into (foreign, sub-titled) movies which are REALLY good too! While I admit the weather here in AZ is beautiful this time of year, you will be thankful you are where you are come summertime ;)

natalie March 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm

hi heather! hope you ended up having a better day. i love how you DO keep it real – always. it’s why one of your blogs is one of my favorites.

can’t wait til springtime is actually here… im craving good weather too!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Thanks Natalie, and yes, craving spring. I’ve decided sunshine is a requirement in my life!

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel March 25, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Whew, this was just like my yesterday (except, you know, without the baby). Nothing was quite going right and everything felt like it was taking more effort than it should have. Mine got better after an evening at the movies. Hope yours turns around, too!

By the way, I’ve been listening to the Stieg Larsson books on cd during my commute. I’ve already seen all the movies, but the books are just so much richer. Can’t wait for the third to come to the library!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Abby,
Can’t wait to read the 2nd and 3rd books of the series…looks like I might not be getting much sleep over the next week. Glad to hear movie night helped, and I hope you have a good weekend.

Brittany @ Pretty Fit, Pretty Healthy, Pretty happy March 25, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Ugh, Charlie Sheen… tell me about it. I work in the entertainment industry, so it’s thrown in my face even MORE. It’s like how everyone wants to stop on the interstate to see the bad accident. Keep moving, people!

Okay, end of rant for me, too. Hope your day gets better!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 25, 2011 at 2:34 pm

“She likes to face-plant on my chest and go to sleep”–that is where a baby belongs. Right like you have her….so beautiful and perfect!

I love the (self portrait…probably?) one handed, while carrying a baby in a sling, and probably with dogs at your feet. Nothing like multitasking. Only a mom could appreciate how much is REALLY going on in that picture :)

Love the “vents” but honestly…they arent even vents! You should hear mine! lol

Baking 'n' Books March 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm

LOL – that’s what I thought?! That’s a vent! You got a good soul HEAB :)

Melissa @ TryingToHeal March 25, 2011 at 2:37 pm

big hugs heather. i hope today gets better; sometimes we just get in a funk is all. i’m sure it’ll turn around.

just focus on that cute face that likes to smile at you (CD included…as much as we love Summer!) and keep a smile on your face; always helps!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Thanks Melissa. Hugs to you as well. Hope you have a good weekend!

Brooke March 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Hi Heather! I feel ya on your bad day. I’m not having one today, thank goodness, but those kind of days are crappy….

Anyways, I don’t normally comment on your blog, but I want to say thank you so much for putting that thought about Japan in your post. It hurts my heart so much to know how much suffering they are going through right now and all our news can talk about is Elizabeth Taylor dying (which is sad but not comparable to the tens of thousands that died in Japan) and Charlie Sheen, like you said. Japan is dealing with thousands of newly homeless people who need non-radiated food and water. They are also still going through the rubble trying to find bodies. They aren’t even cleaning up yet. Now they are experiencing an oil shortage due to the infrastructure being destroyed which means the bare store shelves are going to stay bare even longer. Cars weren’t even allowed to drive on public streets until yesterday morning. Then to top off all this sadness, their nuclear reactors are close to overtaking Chernobyl levels while the Japanese government keeps insisting that everything is ok. The winds have been blowing the radiation east into the Pacific, but Tokyo and other areas south of the reactors are getting high radiation levels. This is all so sad and Japan needs the world right now. If only Obama and the loser politicians were serious about humanitarian efforts, we would send our military over to Japan to help them – not send them to yet another war. Sorry to get political, but this Japan disaster is close to my heart – not because I know anyone personally over there, but because they are fellow human beings that are suffering. Thanks for thinking of them ;-)

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan March 25, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I’m sorry you were having a rough morning! We all have those moments, but it looks like all was well when you headed off on your walk with your precious Summer. I used to live in TN and would give anything for a nice loud lightening filled thunderstorm. I probably sound crazy now. :-D

Baking 'n' Books March 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Wait – your not perfect?!? ;) Thanks for letting me know your real. We all have bad days HEAB – I don’t think it’s bad to vent – I think it’s normal. As long as it’s done within reason and “woe-is-me” or not recognized to reinforce change….but now I’m just on another topic altogether!

Hope your feeling better. I spent all afternoon on the phone with Student loan people who are literally robbing me. It ended in tears. And a thumping heart.

What can you do? Can’t control life. It’s Laugh or Cry ;)

I checked out that cookbook website too – very interesting. I thought you were talking about Nina Planck’s book – have you tried that one?

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Sorry you’re not having a great day :) I was going to try to make you feel better and say that going to sleep and waking up the next day will hopefully make you feel better, but because you have a baby, I don’t think the concept of ‘night’ exists anymore :) Regardless, I hope tomorrow is better for you!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Hehe, thanks Kate. Summer is sleeping a good 12 hours at night these days, and so I have a feeling tomorrow will be better. I’m almost done with my book and won’t be up so late tonight. :)

Erin March 25, 2011 at 4:07 pm

We all need to vent sometimes, friend. I think this yucky Nashville weather is putting everyone in an off mood. I want the sun and warm weather back! Hang in there :)

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Erin,
You too. Hopefully we’ll get some sunshine next week!

Kristina @ spabettie March 25, 2011 at 4:08 pm

oh, wow, that savory breakfast sounds PREFECT to me right now. apparently I am a bottomless pit today, SO hungry!

GAAH – I tweeted something the other day, that each time the “news” talks about Lindsay Lohan or Charlie Sheen I change the channel… I am REALLY hoping the Nielsen Ratings are watching me and taking note. :) it’s embarrassing that so many actually care about what these celebrities are up to – they have zero consequences to anything they do, you’d think it’d get old. and my heart is still hurting for Japan, and now concerned for Thailand and their 6.8 quake, and praying it doesn’t happen here (or anywhere else…)

I would LOVE to walk your pups. can I take summer for a walk too? and you? XXO!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Kristina,
Yes, come to Nashville, and we’ll all go on walk…I promise I won’t mention Lindsay or Charlie. :)

Samantha March 25, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Sorry its been a rough day. :( Keep it real, let it out, helps sometimes. But I do pray it turns up for you soon!

Lisa March 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Reporting from Japan….live. It is snowing here in Northern Japan today :( and the aftershocks continue :( . The Whitaker family & Misawa AB continues to be safe, we are 232 miles from the nuclear plants. The base here has come together in helping & as well as mission-oriented in helping the local community. The area of Sendai and those communities have so much devastation, hard to imagine. What is more amazing is their attitudes and graciousness in their total loss. No offense to us Americans, can you imagine this happening in the States….it would be worse than the aftermath of Katrina! The base here continues to transport equipment, donations, people (rescue crews) in & out of those areas. I know there were French, German & US teams here. There has also been an increase of military here from other military installations around Japan to aid. There are oil/fuel shortages off-base and grocery stores have empty shelves and for how long, to be determined; yet the Japanese continue in their calm, orderly life. I will say it is hard to be so close and feel like you can contribute so little to those hurting.

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Lisa,
Wow – thanks for the update. So good to hear that Japan is getting help, and that the people of Japan are staying so positive. We are all thinking about you guys!
Love,
Heather

kathleen March 25, 2011 at 5:17 pm

i hear ya, it’s the lack of sleep. at least that’s what i keep telling myself with my 3.5 month old. everything starts to annoy me and then i cry =)

Katie March 25, 2011 at 5:17 pm

HUGS. We all have those days, and the worst is pretending they don’t exist. I’ve been doing a lot of venting on my blog lately, and it really does help to get it out.

The Scottsdale comparison will be in your favor in June and July, if that makes you feel any better. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss March 25, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Agreed. Japan’s WAY more important than any drug-induced psychotic washed-up actor.

Alyssa March 25, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Vent away! We are here for you!
(Not-so-good news in Japan: possible reactor breach and more radiation poisoning. It’s so very sad.)
And if I lived near you I would TOTALLY walk your dogs for you!!!!!

Abbey March 25, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Aw, HEAB’s! Would some Bob’s Red Mill White Bean Flour help you feel better? I was given a few bags at the Farmers Mkt. because they expired Jan. 28, but that stuff is good for at least 6 mo. after the date. Don’t know what to use it for, but I’ll figure something out! Maybe you could use it for your pizza crusts? Let me know and I’ll send some your way!

P.S. I wanna kiss little Summer’s cheeks! Baby fever!!!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Really Abbey, that would be so great. I’ll email you my address. Thanks!

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) March 25, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I’m so sorry to here that you’re not having a good day :(
But I’m glad to here that you’re feeling better now :) :) Awww… I’m sure Summer always makes you feel better! How could her adorable face make anyone anything but happy? And I would love to take your dogs for a walk if you were closer!! :)

Happy rest of the day and week!! I’m sending smiles your way :) :) :) :) :)

Annie March 25, 2011 at 7:38 pm

That’s it?? that was your rant?? LOL.. well.. I hope this doesn’t make it worse.. but your rant… well.. it was.. cute!

Hang in there… your face plantin cherub is sooooo cute!
Annie

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Thanks Annie. :)

Pure2raw twins March 25, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Girl you can vent any time, k :) We are always here to listen, as you always there for us!

HUGS

Lou March 25, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Wow, I totally hear ya, Heather! I know exactly where you are at… My lil one thought 4:30am was a great time to start the day this morning, my dog is crazy, barking at anything that moves (and often just barking at nothing!)… and all I want to do is eat mountains and mountains of icecream. Venting/ranting does feel good though hey!?! Better out than in I say. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone! Hope the walk helps, and those cheeky smiles make any problem seem meaningless… love it how babies can change your perspective in an instant!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Lou, THANK YOU. So comforting to know I’m not alone, and I swear my dogs bark if a leaf blows down the street. Love those pups, but they drive me crazy sometimes! Thanks for understanding. :)

Amelia March 25, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I think everyone is entitled to a venting/ whining kind of day every now and then…or maybe even a week if it’s ‘that time’. ;) We all love ya no matter what. Hopefully your day has turned up by the time I am responding! :)

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Thanks Amelia, and yes, my day got better. :)

Dea March 25, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Heather! Vent away, we all need to sometimes!
I love your babywearing photo! And kudos for having a great carrier (mei tei?) and more kudos for not having her facing forward!
Sigh I love baby wearing photos, and baby wearing so much! I take every chance I get to wear Hudson! We love it so much!

HEAB March 25, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Dea,
Yes, it’s a Mei Tai carrier – ordered it as soon as I found out I was pregnant, and Summer loves it. Took her a few months to grow into it, but it’s great for walks. So comfy for mama too. We have an Ergo too, but she’s still a bit too small as I don’t have an infant insert for it.

Ellie@fitforthesoul March 25, 2011 at 8:49 pm

hey Heather we’re here for ya! sometimes~blogging is a way to share thoughts of whatever they may be! so I hope you feel better now! :) and that face plant picture is soooooooooo cute!! ahhh she looks like a little doll I wanna squeeze her haha.

Tara March 25, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I lose so much sleep from reading. Sometimes it’s just too hard to put a book down! Even as my eyes begin to close on their own, I feel the need to keep going.
That 7 minute icing sounds so good! Thanks for linking to it. I’d definitely have to sub out at least some of the sugar for stevia because I could probably down the entire bowl… I’m known to do that on occasion (more like frequently)

Jen March 25, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I appreciate your honesty! Sometimes it seems like someone else’s life is perfect so it is nice to know that everyone has hard days (not that I want that…but you know what i mean).

Usually a lack of sleep makes me feel pretty down. Hopefully, with some sleep tonight you will feel better tomorrow!

michelle March 25, 2011 at 9:28 pm

What a kind vent! I wish I could have done it as nice in my blog yesterday :) I would never tell a women “it’s hormones” but I do think that the changing of seasons plays games with us especially when you factor in sugar cravings and a bit of sleep deprivation for an added bonus…speaking for myself of course. Hope your day improves!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 25, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I know the sugar thing so well … :( I crave something sweet all the time, and I know it won’t get any better if I give in, but I just love cake and everything. It can be really hard! Especially when everybody around me can eat these things without problems. Anyway, I try to get along and stick to foods that work for me, and it goes somehow. I have my treats as well, like almond butter, and fortunately I really like vegetables and chicken / fish. Your breakfast looks wonderful to me! I hope you’ll feel better soon!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a great book! I’ve finished it within 2 days. Look forwarf to part 2 and 3! :D

Susan March 25, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Heather, I would happily walk your dogs for you. I actually seriously considered dog walking in Toronto to get some extra cash!

In other news, that picture of Summer face planting into you melts my heart. So frickin cute.

Ashley March 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I’ve had one of those weeks! All of this house stuff is quite stressful….what day is it?? :) My dogs have also been driving me INsane. They are so completely frustrating when people come over…I want to strangle them. Hope you have a good weekend. Glad you got in some sunshine with lovely Summer!! xo

Heather @ kissmybroccoli March 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Always good to just let it out girl! Put it out there and walk away!

I’m totally with you on the Charlie Sheen thing…Hellllllllloooooo! This is the news…since when did coverage over a washed up actor’s mid-life crisis become more important than the thousands of lives affected in Japan?!

And I totally want our “summer” weather back! What is this 55 degrees crap about?? :( Poo!

Alaina March 25, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I could definitely go for some warm Arizona weather too! I’m done with winter up here in MA.

I’m with you on the news coverage. When there is a crisis in another country, I don’t think anyone’s celebrity life should be focused on (with the exception of Liz Taylor’s passing). I’m surprised the news hasn’t talked about the war in Afghanistan either. That’s still raging on and I have a husband set to leave to go over.

I hope your weekend goes well! And that face-plant picture is adorable. :-)

Clairerose C March 26, 2011 at 12:12 am

Awwwwe,Doll! I don’t know what you’re going through, but if it make you feel better,I gave up chocolate for Lent… I PITY the fool who gets in my way when I have a craving.It is going to be a loooooooong Lent season.XOXO:-)cc

Anne March 26, 2011 at 4:24 am

You’re tuning in to the wrong station!
I listen to the BBC World Service online radio. It’s the most accurate and insightful news source that actually discusses NEWS. Granted they do have a “Daily Arts & Entertainment” segment, but it’s not let’s bash mainstream celebrities garbage. It usually has some sort of social justice message and/or relates to current news events.

Hannah March 26, 2011 at 7:29 am

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting things off your chest sometimes in a big wallop of *gah!!!* (Not Summer, though. We don’t need Summer off your chest!)

I am so, so glad that Charlie Sheen isn’t as ubiquitous over here in the media as he must currently be in America. The whole debacle makes me sick, and I can’t stand that he’s being allowed to feel jusitifed in his behaviour by becoming so famous on the back of it.

P.S. I wish I could give you some of my vegan coconut chocolate hazelnut fudge, but alas! There’s sugar :(

Monica March 26, 2011 at 10:01 am

So sorry Heather that you were having a tuff day! I feel your pain! Hopefully a walk in the sunshine with your sweet little Summer brought you some deep breaths! :)

Clare March 26, 2011 at 10:51 am

In a ranty mood here too. Last week in Toronto it was looking like spring…sunshine, snow had melted and then this week we got a MASSIVE dumping of snow and back to below freezing temperatures. Sheesh; WHY does anyone live here ;)
Keep us posted on your theory on the book–I just started to read that last night too! Glad to know I’m not the very last person on the planet to get to it!

my little celebration March 26, 2011 at 11:14 am

Hi friend! If you’re up for it, I’ve nominated you for the Lovely Blog Award. See what it’s all about here: http://www.mylittlecelebration.com/?p=5091.

If you choose to participate you just share 7 things about yourself on your blog and then pass it on to up to 15 other bloggers if you’d like.

Hope you’re having a lovely weekend!

A Teenage Gourmet March 26, 2011 at 11:34 am

Oh gosh, that oat bran looks ridiculous!! I tried your Baker’s chocolate and tahini combo . . . I died. Hahaha!

P.S. I’m expecting my VANDY letter today!

Kimberly March 26, 2011 at 11:57 am

Aww, sorry you had a rough morning :( Glad you were able to get out for a walk with your little cutie though. She looks adorable in her little carrier! I never had one of those and I can imagine it would have freed my hands up a LOT! My oldest son just moved out! It is so hard to believe how fast the time goes, so get in as many walks with your snuggle bug as you can ;)

Katherine: Unemployed March 26, 2011 at 12:44 pm

too precious; I wonder what color hair she will have

Jess@atasteofconfidence March 26, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I hope venting helped and your day got better!

Lorne March 26, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I like your honesty Heather, yay for keeping it real.

Sarah March 26, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I feel ya! We just got back from visiting my parents in Mississippi (85 degrees) and are now home in blustery New York (35 degrees). And I am ready to write a eulogy to my pump in style as well. These days it makes me feel anything but stylish:)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins March 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Aww sorry about the rough day – what a series of killjoys! Even though it sucks to have a bad day, I think its so refreshing that you were upfront about it and vented. Life isn’t all sunshine and rainbows all the time and sometimes you just need to get the things that are irking you off your chest. Hope things look up from here!

Sandi March 26, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Hi HEAB,
I’m sorry to hear you’re having a bad day :(
I was studying abroad in Japan and back home on my spring break when the earthquake happened. I’m planning to go back on April 8.
There was a huge amount of damage, but it was pretty localized as far as I know. I was in Tokyo, and while there are supposedly some minor food shortages and rolling blackouts to save electricity, I think the main toll for residents outside of the epicenter is mainly psychological. My friends in Osaka and the western part of the country were not affected at all. So while it’s true that it was a huge disaster, it’s not like the entire country has collapsed.
As for the nuclear reactor, all I can say is that my study abroad program deemed Tokyo safe enough, and I trust their judgement. It’s impossible to say what will happen (especially considering I know nothing about nuclear energy or anything) but I’m going back to Tokyo and I’m not worried.
I don’t mean to downlplay the tragedy, but I just thought I’d offer an alternate view.

maya@finding balance in tokyo March 26, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Hi Heather,

Long time reader very occasional commenter. Please, as someone who has been in Japan this whole time, do not pay too much attention to CNN and their ilk. The vast majority of clips I’ve seen have been unbelievably sensationalististic. Many of us here in Tokyo have has to deal with omegas stress and pressure from friends and family who have been freaked out by those reports, and it’s overshadowing thr read tragedy that is going on up north.

There have been a lot of excellent written articles and pieces posted to various online sources, like the New York Times, Washington Post, and many Japanese media companies. But to cheer you up I want to call your attention to this one: http://badassoftheweek.com/akaiwa.html

I have also been blogging my own experiences here, if you want a more personal view of how Tokyo has been affected.

I hope the venting helped you to cheer up!

Ser March 27, 2011 at 10:22 am

Heather, I rarely comment, but I read your blog faithfully! I have especially loved your more transparent posts. Sometimes blogs get me down because they can make everyone seem like they have such great lives–and then I feel that mine doesn’t measure up. Anyhow, as one mama to another, I can say that lack of sleep is the one thing that makes my life seem really hard. I always know I haven’t gotten enough sleep when I start to feel really negative. So vent away–and then try to rest up if you can!

Hayley March 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I’m just glad to know you’re human and that life isn’t always roses and sunshine for you.. :) Not that I’m happy you’re having a rough day, but it’s good to get stuff out, right?

I’m so with you on the Charlie Sheen thing. I don’t CARE and the more we talk about him the more publicity he gets. It’s driving me crazy! We’re having the same weather as you too and it’s killing me but here’s to hoping things perk up a bit!

I hope a nice walk brightens your day a bit. Sending happy thoughts and hugs your way! xoxo

nadia March 27, 2011 at 1:29 pm

i think that s why I love your blog so much – it radiates optimism & positivity :) I vented twice recently on my blog – must stop – but sometimes you need it? perhaps. that icing sweetness looks so lovely!! XO

charlotte March 27, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Everyone needs a good vent every once in a while! That’s what friends are for:) I love Summer’s little face tucked into your chest. I used to worry my babies would suffocate like that – I was forever turning my first’s head to the side – but then I realized they are ok and they liked being all squished up in my business. Gotta admit, I kinda miss that now:) Love you, lady! Hang in there, tomorrow will be better!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats March 27, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I took keep it mainly positive on my blog – but like you, sometimes one just needs to vent a bit. Thank you for keeping it real :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 27, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Love the shades! :D

marty March 27, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Love that little girl snuggling into Mama’s warm heart! So sweet!

You know I think something’s up, in the Universe! I’ve been a little agitated and anxious for a million reasons (trying to build 6K away, sell, pack and move?!), but really more than normal the past 10 days. Course doesn’t help I live in the “ring of fire”, or the Pacific Rim where they’re predicting a major quake sometime in CA or AK!

That 7-min icing looks awesome!

Sheen – I refuse to watch anything about him – he’s totally gone over the edge – talk about denial, having grown up with alcoholics… Sheen, Lohan, et al, too much drama. So MUCH more important going on in the world than to watch, and listen to them.

xoxo m

Christin@purplebirdblog March 31, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I would walk your pups for you everyday if I lived close… you should totally get your butt to Austin. ;)