Major Oops

by HEAB on March 27, 2011

I dropped my camera. It died. I’m devastated.

I took a picture of the following Mexican socca pancake with my cell phone. Happy Pancake Sunday to me.

p_00028.jpg

A BH from Chris along with my yummy lunch managed to bring a smile to my face. It was really good (both the hug and the food). For the Mexican socca, I whisked together 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour with 1/2 cup water, a pinch of salt, a pinch of cumin, and a couple shakes of chili powder, poured the batter into a greased skillet over medium high heat for a few minutes, removed my pancake, and topped it with sauteed onion, green bell pepper, mushrooms, and refried beans. I then kissed the entire dish with sunflower seed butter cheeze sauce (1 TBSP sunflower seed butter, 1 TBSP nutritional yeast, and water to thin). Muy bueno.

I’m off to mourn the death of my camera, but before I go, a few announcements…

1) A friend is working on an independent study about blogs and blog readers for her marketing class, and it would really help her out if you could take this short survey. Thank you!

2) The winner of The Real Food Diet Cookbook is Dena Harris. Congrats Dena. Please email me your address and your cookbook will be on its way!

Ana March 27, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Oh no, hope you get a new camera soon!
Congrats to Drena, that seemed to be a super nice cookbook!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) March 27, 2011 at 5:16 pm

*tear* Your poor camera. May it rest in peace.

Lesley Lifting Life March 27, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Sorry to hear about your poor camera! I’ve thought about how sad I would be if that happened … Hope it’s able to be fixed or that you can get a replacement without too much trouble!

Holly @ The Runny Egg March 27, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Your socca pancake looks delicious!

And I’m glad that a BH from CD made you feel better — BH’s are great!

A Teenage Gourmet March 27, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I see the opportunity for something even better as a result of this mistake. ;)

In other news, Vanderbilt wants me! . . . on their waiting list. :( More waiting for me. In the meantime, I have to pick my second-favorite college.

HEAB March 27, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Sami,
I’m not giving up hope that you’ll be in Nashville next fall. :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope March 27, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Oh no! Hope it’s not beyond repair… but new digital items ARE always fun. :)

alli March 27, 2011 at 5:44 pm

shucks, now you have no choice but to get a fancy-schmancy camera ;)

your socca sounds tasty!

Stefanie March 27, 2011 at 5:47 pm

It sounds like a new camera is in store for you. Have you tried mixing tahini with nutritional yeast? It is good but I will have to try your sunflower seed butter and nutritional yeast mixture. Have a great rest of the weekend.

HEAB March 27, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Stefanie,
Oh yes, love the tahini/nooch combo. It’s really amazing with a little hummus stirred in as well. :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 27, 2011 at 5:48 pm

So sorry to hear about your camera! I’ve been there… it’s heartbreaking :(

sara March 27, 2011 at 5:49 pm

hessa
hessa
omar
omar
omar

Emilia March 27, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I’m so sorry your camera dropped– that’s horrible, Heather! Maybe you can ask around and see if any bloggers have any extra ones to lend out. I’m thinking of somebody and her name may or may not be Ashley :-)

Your socca looks super yummy, despite using a camera phone to snap the photos. ALl your missing is avocado and pepitas! :)

HEAB March 27, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Emilia,
Ordered a new camera already. Should have talked to Ashley first! And yes, that lunch totally needed a big scoop of guac! Pepitas would have been a nice touch as well. :)

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 27, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I hope you had a good weekend Heather!

Mama Pea March 27, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Who are you kidding? You totally dropped it on purpose so you can get a DSLR? ;)

HEAB March 27, 2011 at 10:08 pm

MamaPea,
Ordered the DSLR, but still so upset my point and shoot died. I did love that camera. You’ll have to give me editing tips!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli March 27, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Uh, do I see this as a perfect reason for “Santa” to go shopping?! I think so! ;)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 27, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Oh no! So sorry about your camera!! I hope the Easter bunny brings you something to make up for it! Maybe he might even come sooner. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I’m really sorry about the camera. I hate when things like that happen. I’ve done it before, but luckily it was covered under warranty. I wash shaking so badly when I did it because Tony uses is for work and I was just messing around with it. Your socca looks delicious! I hope the rest of your day goes well.

Baking 'n' Books March 27, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Oh no. The simplicity of your first sentence says it all. I did the same thing right before Xmas – stupid mistake – and NOT a good time of year to be spending more money for repairs/new one!

Are you getting a new one? Warranty? Your photo still came out awesome FWIW ;)

Congrats Dena!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 27, 2011 at 6:19 pm

So sorry about the camera – thankfully, we got the 3 yr insurance plan on mine!!

Dorry March 27, 2011 at 6:23 pm

So sorry about your camera!! Ugh. I hope you can find an amazing deal on a new one…

Chickpea flour is new to my kitchen, and I’m excited to play off some of your recipes. :)

Gina March 27, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Oh no! Not the camera :(
But hey, everything happens for reason! You must be due for a new one ;)
That socca looks so good! Why didn’t I think of a Mexican socca pancake? I love Mexican :)

sarah (sarah learns) March 27, 2011 at 6:29 pm

time for a dslr?! sorry you dropped your camera though – that’s such a bummer! :( i’d be upset too.

Carolyn March 27, 2011 at 6:34 pm

HEY CD!!! Here’s another definition of “BH” . Take a HINT!!! :-)

HEAB March 27, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Bid,
Oh how I love you. :)

katie March 27, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I am sorry about your camera Heather : ( I hope you can get it fixed or get a new one asap : ) Have a great night!! xoxo

lindsay March 27, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Oh no, thats not good. Maybe its an excuse to get a brand new one. I’m pretty sure that lunch would make me smile too, that and a DSLR!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins March 27, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Sunflower seed butter and nutritional yeast – intriguing! I always add the yeasties to tahini but never thought to stir it into the slightly sweet sunflower seed butter. Will have to try soon, thanks for the idea!

Rachel (tea and chocolate) March 27, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Sorry about your camera! Hopefully you can get a new (and perhaps even better?) one quickly. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 27, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Oh Heather, I am soooo sorry about your camera!

Hey, look at it this way…now you have a huge excuse to get a DSLR. I went thru the massive research process in December and ended up with a Canon Rebel. There are many versions of Rebels and if you do end up going that route and have questions, lmk!

As a blogger, not having a camera is like not having an internet connection…pretty much a deal breaker!

Soooo sorry! I know you loved your trusty P & Shoot!

As for the Mexican socca, it looks awesome! :)

HEAB March 27, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Averie,
Ordered a Canon Rebel XS today. Excited but still sad that my P & S is dead. I really loved that camera. :(

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey March 27, 2011 at 7:37 pm

So very sad to hear about your beloved camera! :(

The socca looks sooo great. I have some socca in the oven right now, actually. :) I’m taking the survey!

VEGirl March 27, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Oh no, not the camera! ANYTHING BUT THE CAMERA! It’s a food blogger’s nightmare. Are you getting a new one? Maybe now you have a good excuse to buy a super fancy one :) .

That makes my occasional “tragedy” of forgetting my camera cable on vacation look like a kid who dropped there lollipop in comparison. LOL ok maybe that’s an exaggeration.

HEAB March 27, 2011 at 10:04 pm

VEGirl,
Yes, ordered a new one today, but still so upset. As much as I wanted a new one, I loved that camera.

jen @ taste life March 27, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Oh Heather, I’m so sorry about your camera!!

Pure2raw twins March 27, 2011 at 7:44 pm

oh no so sorry about the camera, that is one of my fears, I am already a clumsy person,LOL

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 27, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I dropped a camera in the airport on my way to Europe for my wedding and honeymoon. NOT a good time to do that, let me tell you!

HEAB March 27, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Samantha,
Agreed. Much more devastating.

Katherine: Unemployed March 27, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I’m sorry to hear about the camera; hopefully the mourning will turn into birth of a new baby

Robyn jones Clark March 27, 2011 at 7:59 pm

oh darn, Cd will just have to buy you that camera! Ha ha!

HEAB March 27, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Robyn,
And maybe an iPhone as well? Hehe, better not push my luck. ;)

Carolyn March 28, 2011 at 6:46 am

Sitting in a hosptal waiting room for extended period time recently playing on my brothers iphone 4. Too much fun! Get one Heather.. No i don’t have one, just a basic flip phone but.. it sure was fun to play with..

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 27, 2011 at 8:38 pm

RIP camera! :(

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 27, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I’m so sorry about your camera!

Dena Harris March 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm

No way! I never win contests. =) Thanks so much – and sorry about your camera. But your cell phone did a nice job–I’ll be making this meal later this week. Cheers.

Sarah R March 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Oh no! So sorry to hear about your camera–but this would be a great time for that upgrade you’ve been talking about ;)

Tara March 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I’m sorry about your camera! That stinks! But now you can get a cool new one. Mexican socca is such a good idea. I love anything mexican. I would like to add salsa and guacomole, specifically chipotle guacomole. Soooo good.

HEAB March 27, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Tara,
That lunch definitely needed some guac!

Laurie March 27, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Sorry to hear about your camera – I would be devastated, too!! UGH!! Maybe CD will get you a new one for Mother’s Day IN ADVANCE – lol!!

Angie (Losing It and Loving It) March 27, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Sorry to hear about your camera! Bummer!

Took the survey, hope it helps.

Christin@purplebirdblog March 27, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Oh dear, Heather!! Moment of silence for your camera. *bows head* :(

Kaleigh March 27, 2011 at 10:10 pm

That meal looks awesome! I’ve tried a few of your crazy combos and I am in love!! Most of them involving tahini ;)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats March 27, 2011 at 10:12 pm

RIP HEAB camera – and welcome to the HEAB DSLR :) Which one did you get? I keep debating one, though I am also curious about a Lumix.

HEAB March 27, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Valerie,
Per recommendation of the photographer that has taken all of Summer’s photos, we ordered a used Canon Rebel XS from Amazon. That’s what she uses, and her photos are amazing. Can’t wait for it to arrive!

maria @ Chasing the Now March 28, 2011 at 6:54 am

My husband just got a Lumix for Christmas. It’s a nice little point and shoot, but if you really want to get in there and customize your photo, it can’t hold a candle to my DSLR.

Cherie March 27, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Bummer about the camera!

I have to remember to buy some garbanzo flour! I need to try the pancakes.

Oh, and I did the survey!

Hannah March 27, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Oh gosh, I’ve been mixing together sunflower seed butter and nutritional yeast lately like it’s going out of style (or like I’m addicted. That’s probably the better way of putting it.)

So sorry to hear about the camera. Here’s hoping the Camera Fairy pops by your place soon!

marty March 27, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Heather – I’m sorry about your P&S! Mine has a crack in the top and to replace the whole metal case would cost as much as I paid for the camera in ’07! I have an old (’72) Nikkormat which I love, but it’s film, would love a DSLR! Would you mind me asking how much you paid for your Canon Rebel XS and what lense(s) did you get? It think I need to check one out!

I need to check out a socca, haven’t yet, because I haven’ bought garbz flour – want to use what I have – think I’ll try grinding the millet.

Where’s your little girl? I’m missing her sweet face! xoxo m

Claudine @ The Kathmanduo March 27, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Heather, so sorry! But once your new DSLR arrives, your world will change. For the better.

Katie March 27, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I was going to suggest upgrading, but it seems you are already on it. Nice one.

I have a DSLR too, and I still miss my old p&s. This big guy just isn’t as portable. But, camera phones are!

michelle March 27, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Poor you! I feel for you….2 guys broke into our house a month ago and stole my rebel camera with a brand new lens that my husband just bought me for my bday 2 weeks before. I cried. Your camera becomes a friend when you blog so much :)

HEAB March 28, 2011 at 7:22 am

Michelle,
Oh no!!! Did insurance cover a new camera?

michelle March 28, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Yes we did. I just got my new camera 3 days ago after waiting 7 weeks. We had just purchased rental insurance a month prior so I feel really lucky. :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul March 28, 2011 at 3:34 am

oh no~sorry about your camera! surprisingly, your cell cam has very good quality! :) do you plan on replacing it with point and shoot still, if or when you do?

HEAB March 28, 2011 at 7:21 am

Ellie,
Nope, ordered a used DSLR from Amazon yesterday…but might try and get my point and shoot fixed. LOVED that camera. :(

Ellie@fitforthesoul March 28, 2011 at 4:59 pm

ohh a used DSLR is awesome!! that’s exactly what I’ve been using these days! haha it’s so fun too. :)

The Teenage Taste March 28, 2011 at 5:58 am

Sorry to hear about the camera, Heather! I hope it gets fixed soon!
Have a great week! :-)

Little Bookworm March 28, 2011 at 6:30 am

Sorry about your camera Heather! Glad you had a nice pancake lunch though. :)

Annie March 28, 2011 at 7:01 am

So sorry about the camera… can’t wait to see how you like your new DSLR… I took the survey… was surprised they didn’t ask demographics like age, etc.. oh well.. you’ll have to let us know if she gets an A!!
Annie

Kimberly March 28, 2011 at 8:06 am

So sorry to hear about your poor camera! Your socca pancake looks delish though! I have been craving Mexican for days and haven’t done anything about it~need to fix that pronto ;) Hope you an get your camera fixed!

Kimberly March 28, 2011 at 8:07 am

So sorry to hear about your poor camera! Your socca pancake looks delish though! I have been craving Mexican for days and haven’t done anything about it~need to fix that pronto ;) Hope you can get your camera fixed!

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) March 28, 2011 at 9:00 am

I’m SO sorry about your camera, Heather!! That would be so devastating :( I hope you can a find another one that you like as much!

And that socca pancake looks delicious!!
I just bought some teff flour yesterday, so I’m hoping to make your indian-spiced teff pancakes sometime this week. Can’t wait!! :)

Natalia - a side of simple March 28, 2011 at 9:33 am

Oh no! I’m so sorry about your camera. That is not fun. Hope you get it all sorted out soon!

Lauren @ WWoB March 28, 2011 at 11:16 am

Oh dear. How sad about your camera! Sorry HEAB! On a positive note – perhaps this is your BIG CHANGE to upgrade…. You want as mannyyyy pixels as possible to capture every last detail of Summer’s precious face, eh eh?! ;)

Michelle March 28, 2011 at 11:58 am

Sorry about your camera Heather. Hopefully you can get a new one soon. All new mommies needs a good camera. Of course I enjoy the pics on the blog too but you definetly need to take pics of Summer.

Liz @ IHeartVegetables March 28, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Aww I’m sorry about your camera :( At least you’re getting a DSLR!! But I know it would have been nice to still have your point and shoot!

Heather @ Isamar March 28, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Hi Heather,

I’ve been lurking for a few months now, but wanted to let you know that I tried your mexican socca for lunch today and it was so amazing! I’ve only recently discovered soccas and the addition of the mexican spices made this my favorite one yet. I also tried your sunflower butter/nooch combo over homemade refried beans and it was quite a treat! Thanks!

{ 3 trackbacks }