Comfort Food, HEAB Style

by HEAB on April 1, 2011

The weather is still cold and gloomy here in Nashville, and all I wanted for lunch today was tomato soup and grilled cheese. So, that’s what I ate…well, sort of.

We have a box of Trader Joe’s tomato soup, but it contains added sugar, and since I gave up sugar for Lent, I decided to make tomato soup Chocolate Covered Katie style by heating up a can of the following on the stove-top and topping it with nutritional yeast and fresh ground black pepper.

Now, what to do about that grilled cheese? Chris and I rarely buy bread. Occasionally, I’ll get a craving, buy a loaf, eat a few pieces, stick it in the freezer, and then end up throwing it out months later. We’re just not big bread people, and so when my body wants a little bready goodness, I’ll often just make my own. Today, I made Nadia’s teff bread with the addition of 1 TBSP nutritional yeast, a pinch of onion powder, and a pinch of garlic powder, I cooked the bread in a ghee greased skillet over medium high heat, flipping once. My bread toppings of choice were a big smear of Kerrygold butter and nutritional yeast.

Kerrygold butter makes everything 100x’s more amazing.

Dipping action…

There ya have it, tomato soup and grilled cheese, HEAB style.

I’m researching ways to make my recipes printer-friendly, and I’m trying out RECIpage. I like the layout, but before I upload all my recipes and pay for the service, I would love your input. You can click here for my current recipe page and here for my new RECIpage (keep in mind I’ve only added a few recipes). Which do you prefer? With the RECIpage, you can Tweet, Like on Facebook, and print the recipes. You can also sort through them alphabetically or by category. What do you think?

R @ Learning As I Chop April 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Wow, that’s awesome that you made your own bread. That’s something I aspire to do.

chocolate-covered katie April 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm

HEAB! My twinnie! I had tomato “soup” today too. I had mine over black bean pasta, which is surprisingly good. It looks like rubber bands… and kinda tastes like them too… but in a good way, if that makes any sense. :)

I’m off to check out your new page!! So you aren’t finished hearing from me yet ;) .

Angel7 April 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I like tomato soup with grilled cheese! It warms the soul on a somewhat cold winter’s day–even though it is April 1st and it should be a little sunny outside.

That bread looks really good!

Picky Nicky April 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm

That’s actually a really smart idea for soup :D I’d add some beans in mine, just cause I love beans!!

Lesley Lifting Life April 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Mmm! There is almost nothing better than tomato soup (or “soup”;) and grilled cheese when it comes to comfort food!

The Teenage Taste April 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm

That looks delicious. I love pasta sauce, so that Chocolate Covered Katie-ifyed soup looks delicious!
It’s rainy and miserable here in NJ too. I thought it was supposed to be Spring! ;-)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Hmm… I have to say that the old layout feels a bit more “clean,” simple, and user-friendly. That said, I’m sure the new one would be awesome once we get more comfortable with the layout/system.

AWESOME way to make good use of what you have! YUM!

Baking 'n' Books April 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Is Ghee like butter taste-wise?

Oh my – I like both pages! Ultimately, simplicity is best but that new Reci-page looks neat and “modernized”.

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 1, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I think the Recipage is a good idea — but I like the way your recipes are now too. YOu have my permission to do either :)

Love the tomato soup idea!

nadia April 1, 2011 at 3:02 pm

HEABY! Your bread looks be-utifu! I must try adding some savory seasonings to mine next time. So glad you liked it! It’s a rainy day here as well and I just had some curry-soup :) p.s. and your bowls are very pretty! xxo

nadia April 1, 2011 at 3:04 pm

oh and I forgot! I really like the recipage you have made- looks great! I like that the pics change, shows me things I wouldnt normally click on but want to try.

Miranda (Untamed Kitchen) April 1, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Mmmm, it’s definitely a soup day here in Music City, looks delish. Hoping for sunny skies tomorrow! I like the new Recipage…it’s fancy. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 1, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Your eats looks perfect for the weather! I like the recipage. I need something like that too. I feel like I have a hard time going back to mine and I like the pictures the recipage has with it.

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse April 1, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Can I be really awkward and say that, although I think the new page looks good, prefer the old one for using…but I’ll also admit I don’t like change :-)
I’m so impressed by the way you didn’t have that soup because of the sugar content! That’s brilliant :-)

Moni'sMeals April 1, 2011 at 4:04 pm

that bread looks great! How do you do it all!?

I loved your pictures this week. A great one of you and lil one. :)

Emilia April 1, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Your pictures look amazing- pristine, clear, and silky :) Well done, my friend! It could be your new camera, but I really think it’s your awesome photography skills :-)
That’s my idea of grilled cheese ANY ole’ day! I add nooch to about everything these days :)

jen @ taste life April 1, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I LOVE your HEABified meals! Proves you can eat just about anything you want if you play around with it enough. I’m cookind dinner right now and starving and want to dive into that “tomato soup”!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Wow — looks like the new camera is definitely working out! :D Awesome. I like both pages, honestly, but I think people might use it/share it more often if you have photos, indexing, and fb “like”ing capabilities. I do enjoy the simplicity of the original though. I think you have a win-win situation on your hands, m’lady!

alli April 1, 2011 at 4:52 pm

oh my yum! i’m eating this right now! i’m such a bread lover, so it’s no wonder i immediately get my booty in the kitchen and make these bread concoctions as soon as you post them.
i used millet flour and doubled the flax as i didn’t have ground chia seeds.
not sure about yours, but mine sort of popped open in the middle, like a pita pocket, so i stuffed mine with salad, feta and black beans :)
thanks for this!
beautiful pictures, by the way :)

HEAB April 1, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Alli,
Um, no mine did not pop, and I’m quite jealous of your pita-esque result. Wonder if was the millet flour, lack of chia, or just good fortune? :)

Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) April 1, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Your photos are looking very crisp and clear! And I love your version of grilled cheese and tomato soup :)
The RECIpage feature is great, I really like it! You should definitely do it, but if you do, I think you should still include a link to your original recipes page, since it’s already so nicely organized and the text-only might be easier on the eyes for some people!

HEAB April 1, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Thanks for the input Kayla. Very helpful – I’m going to take your advice and do both. :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 1, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Grilled cheese is one of my favorites! Especially with tomato soup. So delicious!

Maija April 1, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I love the recipage! I just can’t wait for you to add sections on “HEABified” recipes :) I know this sounds totally lazy but I love being able to click on categories like sugar or gluten free instead of weeding through a bunch of different symbols next to the recipe names. P.s. your pictures look BEAUTIFUL!!! Yaaay for new camera!!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 1, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Kerrygold is the best. LOVE that stuff.

Amber from Berlinswhimsy April 1, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Ohhh, tomato soup with grilled cheese is a favorite comfort food. Lately, my version of ‘tomato soup’ is to heat some Whole Food’s tomato juice and add a bunch of greens (kale, etc) and a bunch of garlic and blend it all in my Vita-mix until hot. It separates, so you have to eat it right away.

I went through the recipe printing issue, too. Recipage looks interesting. What I did was to follow a tutorial in which you create a “google site” that is printer-friendly and I link to that. It’s free. I cannot remember the tutorial but here’s an example: https://sites.google.com/site/berlinsmith/creamy-balsamic-dressing?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2F&showPrintDialog=1 Unfortunately, I’ve been too lazy (& busy!) to convert all my recipes yet…

lindsay April 1, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Teff bread? We love teff. Need to get on that with some kerrygold! I like the recipage. Great idea HEAB!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free April 1, 2011 at 7:46 pm

A lot of times I will just throw in a can of tomato sauce and whatever herbs I want! Usually basil, but I love the idea of adding nutritional yeast!!! I will have to try it…

I’m not a bread eater, either….but the rest of my family is! However, I LOVE my grain-free breads. In fact, I am eating a slice of grain-free banana bread as I type this…

Gena April 1, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Love love love. I believe firmly that “comfort” food is defined by the needs of the person who eats — emotional, textural, taste.

Mimi (Gingersnaps) April 1, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I don’t think you need to pay for a whole new page, unless you want to. One thing the new page has over the old one, imho, is the brief descriptor. You could easily include that beside or under the recipe title in the old page. However, I do like the indexing of the new one. I agree with the other poster who suggested both.

meghan @ struggle muffins April 1, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I’d love to make my own bread but I don’t know if I have the patience. Definitely dig the ‘test’ RECIpage – so organized, so easy to find what you’re looking for!

Dena Harris April 1, 2011 at 8:20 pm

LOVE the new recipe page – so much easier to view and print out, plus all the benefits you mention.

Cookbook arrived today. Happy, happy day in Harrisland. Blog post coming soon.

robyn jones clark April 1, 2011 at 8:50 pm

i love the recipage. :) somtimes i like to send it to my iphone.. or print… and then I can share on facebook to! :) yay!

sarah (sarah learns) April 1, 2011 at 8:56 pm

i LOVE recipage! it makes it SO much easier to find specific recipes you’re looking for AND it makes it easier to search by ingredients!

Laurie April 1, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I like your old version better : )

Lea @ Healthy Coconut April 1, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I like the old version better because I like seeing everything in one snapshot, but I’m sure the recipage has great features and it will be easy to find your recipes.

Pure2raw twins April 1, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Love your style of comfort food!!!

Love the recipe page. We really need to do ours, it has been on our to-do lists for months!!! one day we will get to it

Pickynikki April 1, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I like the RECIpage better… Another blog I go to has it, and it makes it easy to find recipes you remember them blogging about when you have the desire to go back and make it! Sorry it is the costlier option! :)

Kristi @ KristiAteIt April 1, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I wish my big craving wasn’t always bread. I go through a lot, unfortunately! But, the soup you made looks much better than anything you can buy pre-made. Perfect for a not so perfect weather day!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 1, 2011 at 9:53 pm

ReciPage…omg NIGHTMARE!!! for me!!

So many issues but one of them is serving size. How does one measure servings of raw balls or kale chips or cake or cheezy veggie bakes. It entirely depends on the person’s desires!

The other is labeling and coding. This was like 3 mos ago that i was thinking about it so the details are escaping me but the way that I was going to have to label recipes wasn’t going to be easy for users to find them.

If they type in cookie rather than Dark Chocolate Chip cookie, the actual recipe was not going to pop up. They needed to have the entire title which who knows that on another bloggers site.

And the pic uploading/image uploading was going to be a FT Job for about 3 mos to get the pics coded. No thanks.

If you have luck with it, awesome! For me, it was not gonna work :)

Emily Malone April 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Hey Averie!
Sorry you had trouble getting yours started – I wish you had emailed to let us know! If there are any fields you don’t want to use (like serving size) you can leave them blank and they won’t show up. Also, for the searching, if you have a label called Dark Chocolate Chip Cooke, and you search for “cookie” – it definitely WILL show up! The search scans the title and ingredient list for any matching terms! Try using the search on my page and see what you think. Feedback is always good. :)

Hannah April 1, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I think tomato soup with grilled cheese might be an American thing, because I’ve never eaten it in my life nor ever heard of it before reading American blogs!

Then again, my mum is allergic to wheat, tomatoes, and dairy, so that might explain its absence in my childhood… :P

kathleen April 1, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I like the recipage. The pictures got me.

Danielle April 1, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Now Heather I love this blog and your “HEAB” way of eating. But that soup doesn’t sound appetizing at all. I have tasted tomato sauce straight out of the can and its always been nasty to me unless its been cooked with a few other ingredients and drastically seasoned. But more power to you for keeping it simple :)

Katherine: Unemployed April 2, 2011 at 7:37 am

Your cooking reminds me of Carla Hall. You two should be friends

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 2, 2011 at 8:20 am

My first taste of tomato soup and grilled cheese combo was during a visit to Amsterdam. Weird huh?! :D love the Recipage modern look and userability.

Kaleigh April 2, 2011 at 9:47 am

I think your site is set up well enough that it’s not necessary. If I see a meal I like, I just use the search function to find it. That always works well for me ;)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 2, 2011 at 10:32 am

you’re so right, Kerry Gold does make everything better! :)

Hayley April 2, 2011 at 10:58 am

I know what you mean about eating comfort food – this is the first day we’re actually having decent weather. The rest of the week has been cold and rainy!

It’s hard to really pick which page I like better. I prefer the simplicity of the original page because it’s easier to scroll through in a glance at all of your recipes, but I do like the pics. Can you combine in some way?

Danielle Discovers April 2, 2011 at 11:43 am

Definitely the RECIpage!! :)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) April 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Love your soup and sandwich!!! I used to love tomato soup… I really need to make it again (and I think it will be a HEABified version ;) )

I love both recipe pages! I really like the simple layout of your current recipe age (it’s really easy to find recipes), but I think pictures really draw attention too. Maybe you could have both! :)

Melissa @ TryingToHeal April 2, 2011 at 1:37 pm

oh, that certainly looks great! and kudos to making your own bread just for your soup!

Ana April 2, 2011 at 2:07 pm

We don’t each much bread here either. I keep a loaf in the fridge (for the occasional peanut butter and banana sandwiches for Matheus’ school lunches) when I buy so it doesn’t get bad in the counter (it lasts a lot longer in the fridge, did you know that?! tip from my husband from when he used to live alone, haha!).
I have teff flour that I bought to try a recipe and haven’t used yet, I will try your bread!
The idea of warm piece of bread with butter sounds really good! Will try that and report back!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 2, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Huh, I’ve never thought about using tomato sauce as soup before. Every now and then I get a huge hankering for some tomato soup, but I always hate the sodium content…even the low sodium ones still have quite a bit. I will definitely be trying this with the “no salt added” next time I’m hit with a craving.

I’m so glad that we are getting some sun today! I’ve been cooped up inside all day unpacking, but just stepped out and it felt amazing! Warmer weather is right around the corner!

I’ve never had a problem finding recipes on your page (and Lord knows I’ve visited that page often enough!) but I do like the layout/organization with the RECIpage! I am such a visual person and I love how you can view all the pics for each recipe without having to open them individually! I really need to do something with my recipe page…it’s getting kinda cluttered.

Jen April 2, 2011 at 7:02 pm

The RECIpage is awesome, but I think your current recipe page is just as easy to navigate. If you’re weary about spending the money, I personally wouldn’t say that the page is worth it…even though it’s pretty spiffy. That’s not to say I won’t be printing out lots of your recipes if you decide to get it! :)

charlotte April 2, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I’ve never seen that site before but I love other recipe sites! My problem is that I save tons of recipes and then hardly ever end up making any of them. Gotta work on that!

Kelly April 3, 2011 at 9:29 am

I like the recipe page you have now…it seems cleaner. But that’s just me.

Allison April 3, 2011 at 10:01 am

do you cook teff bread in oven or frying pan?

HEAB April 3, 2011 at 10:11 am

Allison,
I cooked in a ghee greased frying pan on the stove-top over medium high heat.

Lara (Thinspired) April 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm

You totally have us hooked on Kerrygold products. Their Dubliner cheddar cheese is AMAZING!

HEAB April 6, 2011 at 8:42 pm