Love From Me To You

by HEAB on April 4, 2011

Last week, I received a package of goodies from Love Street Living Foods

Soon after it arrived, I got hungry and decided to smoosh as many of the products as I possibly could in one bowl…err, jar.

IMG_4914.jpg

My waning sunflower seed butter jar contained cooked oat bran stirred together with 1 serving Brazil Nut Protein Powder, 1 TBSP Cacao Powder, and 1 tsp of the Madagascar vanilla powder. The Brazil nut protein powder is good. It’s not sweetened and has a mild nutty taste, and did you know that Brazil nuts contain 2,500 times more selenium than any other nut? The cocoa powder and vanilla added a lovely finishing touch. Now I must say that I’m used to Hershey’s dark cocoa powder, and the raw cacao powder tasted more bitter to me. However, when mixed with bites of the sunflower seed butter, it was yummy. And, according to the company’s website, chocolate stimulates the production of serotonin in your body, acting as a natural anti-depressant. Raw cacao stimulates more serotonin production than cooked commercial chocolate. Nice – who couldn’t use a little extra serotonin?

Yesterday, I added some of the cacao powder to my red bean soup as I figured people add cocoa powder to chili all the time, and so why not? Wise decision as the soup turned out great!

Want the recipe? Want to print it? Well, OK then, here you go…

Love Street Living Foods has graciously offered the following to all HEAB readers…

Through Thursday, 10% off your entire online order with the coupon code LSLFHEAB. Readers can also sample for free any of the site’s Artisana Nut Butters by adding them to your cart (1 sample per flavor per order). Hope you enjoy your Love Street Living Foods products as much as I have!

Edited to Add: I just heard about this great gift idea for all Nashville Moms:

On April 6th & 7th Pickles & Ice-Cream Maternity Apparel in Cool Springs is hosting Tim Arnold, The Silhouette Man at their store. Tim is recommended by The Smithsonian & even did silhouettes for the Bush Family at The White House. ┬áThe event is by appointment only, and you can call the store at 615-778-1599 to book an appointment. Please forward this info to any dads you may know as a silhouette would make a wonderful Mother’s Day gift!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) April 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Oooh yum those goodies look so GOOD!! Oatbran in a jar is my FAVE!! And that soup looks DELISH!! I LOVE bean soup- my fave! :D

Little Bookworm April 4, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Love the sound of that soup! The oats sound great too – love adding cocoa powder to mine. :)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm

mm mmmm that looks lovely! The bacon is soo necessary, you can’t have beans without that smokiness :)

HEAB April 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Jenny,
I concur. :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm

What a neat product! Those flavors are certainly unique. And I love your recipe… seriously creative and actually sounds amazing! Thanks for the review!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 4, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Thats looks so yummy! Love the new print function :)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) April 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Brazil nuts are so freaking tasty. I’d love to try some powder. (They’re also the most radioactive food in the world. Truth.)

HEAB April 4, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Victoria,
Really, I did not know that. Interesting.

Victoria (District Chocoholic) April 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Yep. Most foods with complex root systems pick up naturally-occurring Radium-226 from the soil, the tree for the Brazil nut has a root system that concentrates it. Cool stuff.

s April 4, 2011 at 8:14 pm

wow, nifty. sort of. i just ordered some of the brazil nut powder, haha. time to get my radioactiveness on, i guess.

Baking 'n' Books April 4, 2011 at 8:36 pm

What does Selenium do for the body??

Interesting combo HEAB. How much nut butter do you wait to be in the bottom of the jar before you do OIAJ? Do you try to avoid eating too much nut butter globs at once? (It’s an issue of mine – especially paired with apple butter – oye ;) ).

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 4, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Wow, I don’t usually think of foods when I think of serotonin! Very cool :)

A Teenage Gourmet April 4, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Mmm, chocolate in chili. :) I’m completely OUT of coco powder right now. I don’t know if I’ll last until tomorrow.

The Teenage Taste April 4, 2011 at 5:06 pm

OIAJ is so good! I’ve never tried oatbran before though. Is it similar to wheat bran/farina? I always hear about it and am curious. ;-)

HEAB April 4, 2011 at 5:10 pm

The Teenage Taste,
Oat bran is oaty tasting, thick, super creamy, and my favorite cooked grain. Wheat bran reminds me of horse feed, and oat bran taste so much better in my opinion. Never had farina, and so I’m not sure about how the taste compares. Try it! :)

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 5, 2011 at 8:00 am

And it cooks in no time flat!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 4, 2011 at 5:53 pm

That looks like a perfect treat! YUM!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 4, 2011 at 6:00 pm

That soup sounds so good, but I have never had savory cacao, so I’m not sure what to expect!

Mama Pea April 4, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I’m curious if you could taste the brazil nuts in the oat bran? I think it would taste delicious!

HEAB April 4, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Mama Pea – a little bit, but I pretty much masked all Brazil nut taste with the cacao powder and vanilla. Oops. :(

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 4, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Thank you! Ordering that protein powder right now!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 4, 2011 at 6:09 pm

And it’s out of stock :(

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 4, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I am glad you got the print this feature installed :)

And Pickles and Ice Cream…I think I mentioned this before, but Scott did their email and tv/radio marketing years ago. He does/did marketing for tons of baby/mom/kid retailers, especially small businesses and not huge corp chains, and they used to be one of his clients. Small world!!!

The food looks…awesome. And Braz Nut protein powder, that’s a new one to me!

HEAB April 4, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Averie,
Plug in works splendidly – thanks again! :)

brandi April 4, 2011 at 6:35 pm

brazil nut protein powder? i have never heard of such a thing! your oat bran in a jar looks delicious :) another reminder that I need to try sunflower seed butter!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free April 4, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I LOVE bean soup! In fact, I just ad some for diner tonight :) I’ll have to remember to put cocoa powder in it next time because that sounds soooo good!

Clare @ Fitting It All In April 4, 2011 at 6:38 pm

How does the free sample nutbutter work? I can just add a whole jar to my cart, and they’ll send me a free sample?

Love Street April 4, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Clare,

All you have to do is add the 1 oz Sample to your cart on the product page of the Nut Butter you want. It should be listed there as costing 0 dollars.

Thanks!
Team Love Street

Pure2raw twins April 4, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Love our raw cacao powder. I remember the first time I ever had it and wow was it bitter. I hated it at first but each day I kept trying it and mixing it with things and eventually I love it. Now I like the rich bitterness flavor (well not too bitter) haha

Hannah April 4, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Oooh, that soup sounds amazing! I’ve been meaning to try a chili flavoured with cacao for ages, but this looks even easier :) Just gotta track down some red beans!

Jessica April 4, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Wow! thank you so muchhhhh! Can’t wait for my order to arrive and start playing with recipes!!!

HEAB April 4, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Jessica,
You’re welcome! :)

Sarah April 4, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for that coupon code. I checked out the web site and could not help myself from getting a few things. And SAMPLES yowza. To think, I thought I may never try Cacao Bliss… ahhhhhh.

HEAB April 4, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Sarah,
You’re welcome. Enjoy! :)

Lindsay April 4, 2011 at 8:13 pm

wow, what a great package! I’d have a hay day with all those spices, just like you did. Cornbread magic!

Ana April 4, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Nice website, and I found one super delicious thing I loved in Brazil but never find over here: lemongrass tea! :-)
Both my dad and grandmother had lemongrass growing in their backyards and lemongrass tea is my dad’s favorite tea. It was the most delicious smell to boil the lemongrass leaves and enjoy tea together on winter nights – we still do that every time I go to Brazil!
I have never seen dried lemongrass tea by itself around here, will definitely order me some! (even though war weather is approaching, it makes delicious iced tea too)
That vanilla powder is tempting, it would be a good thing to add to desserts and coconut ice cream, wouldn’t it Heather?
By the way, I had an idea today. It was such a lovely weather and I still have coconut ice cream on the brain. Then today I made myself a “slushie” with lots of ice, protein powder and cocoa powder and it hit me: I am going to freeze coconut milk into ice cubes and use it to make protein ice cream, it can only be good, right?!
I like pure cocoa powder the best, the alkalized one (the very dark stuff) sometimes do taste less bitter, but the extra processing makes the cocoa lose a lot of its antioxidants.
Oh, and nice being able to get a sample of artisana’s butters, you couldn’t give me better incentive than that to order something online!! :-)

Ana April 4, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Oh, did you see they have rice protein Heather? And it seems like a good price, about $8 per lb. Maybe I will try that too (along with the lemongrass!).
You got me hooked on the Rice Protein!! :-)
I have been getting nutribiotic brand, but wish sun warrior wasn’t so $$, it was my favorite when I was trying different brands.

HEAB April 4, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Ana,
Yes, I saw it. It’s not flavored though, and I love Sun Warrior’s chocolate and vanilla. Let me know if you try it.

Ana April 4, 2011 at 8:59 pm

The nutribiotic one I have been buying is vanilla flavored, but is not sweetened – and doesn’t contain any gums or added stuff, it is just pure brown rice protein and vanilla.
I have been enjoying it in my smoothies (paired with fruits/beeries, yogurt, and avocado) and protein shakes.
I tried sunwarrior too and loved their chocolate protein, only thing is that I wish they didn’t add sweeteners though as it is a bit too sweet for me. I prefer the plain, unflavored and unsweetened so I can add stevia to my taste.
I also tried one by Jarrow’s about a month ago, also good, it didn’t have sweetener, but had gum (it was only the rice protein, vanilla, and gum thing), which wasn’t bad as it thickened my smoothies.
I will let you know if I try this one!

HEAB April 4, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Ana,
I want to try the lemongrass tea, and yes, frozen coconut milk works great in smoothies and in protein ice-cream. So thick and creamy! :)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins April 4, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I had the same reaction to raw cocoa powder, as I was used to Hershey’s Dark Coco Powder but it definitely grows on you over time. Very yummy mixed with a lil maca powder and stevia in some greek yogurt.

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 4, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Mmmmm that chili looks good! my tummy’s really sick so nothing sounds good right now. But this actually looks delish! Thanks for da LUV with these deals btw :D

michelle April 4, 2011 at 9:28 pm

This just made me do a “Doh!” I’ve been trying to figure out how do a ‘print this recipe’ for a month now. A computer whiz I am not :)

HEAB April 4, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Michelle,
Here is the plug-in for “print this”: http://twodeuces.com/wordpress-plugins/wordpress-print-this-section. :)

michelle April 4, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Thank for that Heather. You’re so sweet.

Emilia April 4, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I am so utterly jealous you got those amazing powders in the mail! I’ll trade you the santa cruz ocean for your raw powders? Pleaseeeee? Hehe, just kidding.
Brazil nut protein powder sounds amazing. Do you recommend? Reminds me of peanut flour…

HEAB April 4, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Emilia,
I need to try the Brazil nut butter on its own as I masked the flavor with the cacao and vanilla. It’s good, but I don’t think the flavor is as strong as peanut flour.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 4, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I’ve only recently begun to appreciate corn bread, so I am drooling over that picture :)

jenny eats nutella from a spoon April 4, 2011 at 11:08 pm

erm, those goodies sound freaking amazing! for the first time ever, i’m jealous you were sent these because now the brazilnut protein powder is out of stock.

ps. LOVE the look of this soup, this might be the first non-dessert recipe from HEAB that i may try…

Katie April 4, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Maranatha makes the best sunflower seed butter – its the only unsweetened brand I’ve found!

Katherine: Unemployed April 5, 2011 at 5:44 am

I’ve shared with you before my secret pinings to be a mother simply because of products available on the market. the name “pickles and icecream” makes me want to go off birth control… (I’m not actually on birth control anyway; nor do I have anyone to do the dirty with. TMI? yes. sorry)

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) April 5, 2011 at 6:28 am

Those powders look so interesting!! I love how they’re from places like Madagascar and India! I find those kind of products particularly fascinating :)

That soup look delicious too!! Maybe I could sub some liquid smoke for the bacon for a vegetarian version :D

I hope you and your wonderful family are doing fabulous!!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 5, 2011 at 8:07 am

Yay for the new print feature! And yay for free Artisana samples! I’m going to have such a hard time making a decision…I want to try them all!

I really need to try adding cocoa to my next batch of chili and almond butter, I hear that’s really good too! I love adding pumpkin…it makes it soooo creamy!

Hey, I’m going to be in Nashville meeting a couple of friends for lunch on Saturday. You up for a Trader Joe’s/Whole Foods run? And you know they just opened that new Sweet Cece’s on Hillsboro Pk…I’m just saying. ;)

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) April 5, 2011 at 8:11 am

That soup sounsd awesome!!!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos April 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm

i LOVE the marantha sunbutter!!! i like it more so than the other ones i’ve tried…its savory and delicious. ahhhh!!! btw, i found on FB page :D . i just created mine too!!

Hannah (mindrunningwild) April 5, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Wow can I just say that I love that everyone is getting into sunbutter? I can’t get enough of the stuff!! What’s your stance on soy nut butter?

HEAB April 5, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Hannah,
Not a huge fan of soy as it bothers my stomach, but I have tried soy nut butter. It was years ago, and I remember it tasting funky. Sunflower seed butter is much better in my opinion. :)

nicole April 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm

This soup looks awesome! Yum!!

Angel7 April 5, 2011 at 7:58 pm

That red bean soup sounds so good with the cacao powder complimenting it! Great idea!

Rhiana April 6, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Looks totally delicous. I can’t wait to try it out.