Beef, It’s What’s For Lunch

by HEAB on April 7, 2011

You know those people who say they forget to eat or simply don’t have the time? I hate those people. Hehe, just kidding…sort of. I’ve never really understood the concept of not having to time to eat until Summer came along. Ah, those leisurely mornings of making pancakes or lunches that consisted of more than 2 ingredients. My, how things have changed. On days when we have no plans, I’m still able to spend time in the kitchen while Summer naps, but today we met up for tea with a friend and then went to yoga class. Once we got home, I changed & fed Summer and put her down for nap. By then, it was already 1:30, and my hopes of making a lovely lunch of channa masala quickly morphed into must get food into my belly NOW. So as is the norm around here lately, I kept it quick and simple.

The above lunch was delicious and chocked full of vitamins and minerals including potassium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, and vitamins A, C, B6, & B12, and it only took about 10 minutes to prepare.

Ingredients

1 large sweet potato

1/4 lb. grass fed finished beef

Directions

Wash and pat dry sweet potato and puncture a few times with a fork.

Wrap potato in a paper towel and microwave 3 to 5 minutes. You want it about 3/4 of the way cooked through.

Chop sweet potato and add to skillet with the beef. Saute over medium high heat until meat and sweet potatoes are thoroughly cooked, about 5 minutes*

*Do not check email while cooking as bottoms of sweet potato chunks will burn if you stop stirring. Oops.

Couldn’t be more easy. Couldn’t be more delicious…well yes it could. I bet it would have tasted even better with a little dollop of butter, peanut butter, or tahini. Do not fear the nut butter/beef combo my friends. Trust me, it’s good, and speaking of weird nut butter combos, the winner of my Eden Nuts giveaway is…

Screen shot 2011-04-07 at 4.33.53 PM.png

Congrats Dawn! Please email me with your address. I was amazed by how many of you recommended pickles + nut butter. Even I’m not too sure about that one, but I promise to try it.

Chris came home early from work, and we’re about to take Summer for an early evening stroll. But first, I have a request if you don’t mind. I would love it if you guys would vote for my friend Justine’s photo. Thank you!!!

Lesley Lifting Life April 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm

You sweet potato + beef combo sounds delicious to me! :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Sweet potatoes sound so delicious right now! Enjoy your walk :)

Angel7 April 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Nut butter on fries sounds interesting. I will have to try that when I get some nut butter.

The sweet potato and grass-fed beef combination sounds good! I love quick, easy and delish meals!

BethT April 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I hear you on the no time to eat thing. Now that hubby and I are both back at work we have to eat breakfast at work – too hectic in the morning!

carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 7, 2011 at 5:04 pm

umm why havent i had a sweet tater in over TWO MONTHS!!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 7, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Heather,
I’m sure a lot of mom’s can relate to the same situation re meals! I do try to relish in my ability to eat in a leisurely fashion now bec I know it won’t be the same in a couple years! :)

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 7, 2011 at 5:16 pm

LOVE grass fed beef! Bought some today :)

Baking 'n' Books April 7, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Me too! Well, beef…not the grass-fed though :( I’ve never even seen it around here. It is ‘anti-biotic-free’…not much, but the best I can do.

Congrats Dawn – I LOVE your answer!

Meg April 7, 2011 at 5:16 pm

This could not look/seem anymore simple and delicious!

:D

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie April 7, 2011 at 5:19 pm

What a completely genius, simple and nutritious recipe! I am kind of in awe right now. Very HEAB-ified :)

This one’s going in the file for sure!!

And I definitely don’t get the concept of “I forgot to eat.” Happens to me *maybe* twice a year.

The Teenage Taste April 7, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Haha! I never forget to eat! By the time mealtime rolls around I’m starving! :-P

Jamee April 7, 2011 at 5:37 pm

When you have 2, then you really don’t have time to eat. Sometimes all I end up with is your almond butter banana nut muffin for breakfast and a good dinner. :)

HEAB April 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Jamee,
Oh my gosh, I can’t even imagine. The day just goes by so fast, and before I know it, it’s been hours since my last meal…and by meal, I mean a few square of chocolate. ;)

lindsay April 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm

what about those people who skip breakfast!?! Are they crazy?! Never ever. I’m channeling that chana masala lunch like no other, beef….its whats for dinner now!

HEAB April 7, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Lindsay,
CD rarely eats b’fast. He’s just not hungry in the mornings. I don’t get it.

Emilia April 7, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Sweet potatoes are the bomb– especially cooked in coconut oil and cinnamon. And topped with nut butter, I mean seed butter, of course :)

Have a good walk, sweet Heather!

Sumpuss April 7, 2011 at 6:14 pm

nice bowl!

Sweet potato cooked in OVEN!!! remember those days??

your meal looks wonderful…

you have time to eat.. you just don’t have time to cook.. and that’s ok….

HEAB April 7, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Sumpuss,
Good point. I need some pumpkin oatmeal yogurt overnight bowls in my life, no? ;)

Emily April 7, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I’ve never been someone who can eat “on the run”, so I have been known to skip a meal here and there (I have a weird problem with eating if I’m not comfortable, and moving + eating is not comfortable!). I try not to let it happen, of course.

Enjoy your walk! I’m loving evening strolls right now. Tis the season :)

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble April 7, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I like my sweet potatoes slightly burnt. :-)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 7, 2011 at 6:27 pm

There was a time last semester when things got SO insane that I literally did feel like there wasn’t time to eat, but I just had to switch my habits around and make it work. Life will always be changing, and so will our schedules, but some things like eating healthy and staying physically healthy just can’t be sacrificed (especially when you’re a mom! :) ). Great lunch mix!

RunEatRepeat April 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I totally don’t “get” people that forget to eat too! It’s like my #1 priority… What am I going to do when I have babies?!

HEAB April 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Monica,
You’ll be fine – babies sleep a lot. :)

Cate April 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I have never had grass fed beef, but I think I may have to try it sometime.

Heather, I have been meaning to ask you, what is your favorite almond butter?

HEAB April 7, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Cate,
Honestly, the only almond butter I’ve ever tried that I didn’t like was Artisana’s raw. My favorite is roasted unsalted crunchy, and any brand will do. I usually just buy Trader Joe’s b/c it’s the cheapest.

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 7, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I don’t think I could ever forget to eat…my tummy gets rather verbal if I go more than 4-5 hours without a meal. Lately, I’ve found it so hard though to get in the kitchen and work on recipes. I feel like I’m always run, run, run…oh yeah, whip up a quick meal, and run some more! And I don’t even HAVE a children!

I had a microwaved sweet p for lunch today at work. Not as good as in the oven or finishing on the stove, but definitely better than the crap they serve in the hospital cafeteria! Hope you had a nice walk! So glad the weather is perking up a bit!

Melissa @ TryingToHeal April 7, 2011 at 6:44 pm

i just bought some sweet potatoes today (i’ve been getting so many white varieties lately in my organic boxes i missed them) and automatically thought of you! :D I won’t pair them with meat but maybe…a vegan sausage?! eh?!?!?! :D

Dayle Van Ess April 7, 2011 at 6:55 pm

mMmMm….that looks delicious! I love sweet potatoes, but have never ever stir fried them. I must try it!! All your recipes look so darn scrumptious =]

Kath April 7, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I am mentally prepared when the day comes when I have to “throw together” lunch everyday. It will be OK! Yours looks awesome!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day April 7, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I love that photo!

re cornbread, you could modify this recipe really easily (although instead of the bean cooking liquid you should use some sort of milk, leave out the coconut, add 1/2 c olive oil and sub the pumpkin for 1 c blueberries and add around 1/2 c corn kernels.. and up the stevia.. haha.. you might have to add a T or two more liquid .. but you could also use eggs in place of the flax.. I just use flax cuz I don’t eat eggs!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day April 7, 2011 at 7:21 pm
Erin April 7, 2011 at 7:30 pm

nut butter and beef…a good thing in deed. :) I am currently going through a batch of your almond butter chili….mmmmm…so good! I changed it up a bit using (red bell pepper, sweet potato, carrot, zuchini)…. I am a bit sick..and am LOVING this on a big pile of spinach. So comforting…so delicious. my Favorate homemade chili for sure. and SO easy!!! Thanks so much for this recipe…just loving it. :) anything topped with peanut butter/almond butter is great to me though. :)

HEAB April 7, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Erin,
You’re welcome. So glad you’re enjoying the chili, and I hope you feel better soon!

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I used to fear the nut butter/beef combo but then I tried CD’s chili and that converted me!

HEAB April 7, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Holly,
Yes, CD has converted many. ;)

Christin@purplebirdblog April 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I was totally trying out the vegetarian thing for a bit… didn’t work. I just feel better if I eat meat! I’ve been keeping it low grain, high veggie and moderate animal protein and feeling so much better and even less bloaty!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I love this combination!!!! YAY for Sweet Potaoes! :D

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm

People that shun the microwave have never been new mothers, right? Seriously, it saves my life from being able to reheat my planned leftovers I make to nuking sweet potatoes to warming up a much needed cup of coffee!

Oh, I love reading about your journey and how your days unfold, Heather. Reminds me of my life a few years ago. And now, it’s even crazier b/c I still do all the same things I used to, but I work full time, too! Thus, not much sleep happens but that’s ok.

Glad that you and Summer are keeping busy with each other :)

Alina April 7, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Haha, I don’t know why but this post reminded me of Potoes with bread or Pickles with yogurt.

Katie April 7, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I love it. I’m not a mom, but as a busy grad student who works up until the moment that I can’t concentrate anymore because my stomach is SCREAMING at me, I can relate completely.

And that is what I’d call HEABified meat and potatoes. I bet my dad would approve. :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 7, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I have never forgetten to eat in my entire life! I have forgotten to do important things because I was too busy eating, though :) Priorities!

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 8, 2011 at 12:26 am

Now I’m really really starting to understand my sister’s struggle with her boy! And people always tell her that she should really step it up with all that stuff like cooking, but I guess a baby really DOES take every minute you’ve got! I’m excited for that day to someday be here, but only God knows I’ll only be ready THEN and not NOW lol. :D

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 8, 2011 at 2:54 am

That looks so good! I totally forget to put sweet potatoes on the shopping list today. I’ve been craving them! Doh! Maybe I have some in the garage still. :) Yum!

Hannah April 8, 2011 at 4:54 am

I’m not a big meat-eater but I currently have 800g of kangaroo mince in zip lock bags in my freezer, so I think I’ll try this. With the tahini and the slight burning, ’cause I love caramelised edges of sweet potato!

Pure2raw twins April 8, 2011 at 8:23 am

welcome to the no time to eat club, haha

Lori and I were just discussing this the other day how our meals our just thrown together, not much thought. But they still taste good! And love how easy this recipe is!! We still have to try your egg and sweet potato combo!

Kelsey April 8, 2011 at 8:58 am

Yes! I don’t get how people “forget” to eat! Wha??? I can’t relate to that. Maybe it’s because I’m always thinking about food…but how can you not? haha.

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat April 8, 2011 at 9:41 am

I hear people say they forgot to eat all the time and I will never understand, haha! I will forget or not have time to do many things, but eating is not one of them ;-)

Kim April 8, 2011 at 10:45 am

I am one of those people who “forgets to eat”, ADHD much, yes, that is me. When I get REAL cranky it is my husband who will say “did you eat today, or what did you eat today?” Yep, problem solved. I made oats now the night before and eat as soon as I wake up. Also 2 words= toaster over with a timer. I throw in 4 sweet taters at a time, set timer and done. Easy peasy. Put in fridge and heat when ready. I swear a never use my oven anymore, it is for storage!

Just wait, as kids gets older, you get even busier! School, afterschool activities, play dates, the list goes on and on. It does get more fun as well! ;)

Natalia - a side of simple April 8, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Who forgets to eat? It’s like saying “I forgot to sleep last night.” Plus, how can you forget the best things in life like eating and sleeping? I mean seriously. Those are some quality “me” times! :)

thehealthyapron April 8, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I’ve never understood people who say they forget to eat either! HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN? I’m hungry on cue every 2-3 hours! And my body doesn’t let me forget it either!!

Heather April 8, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Beef + any vegetable + a bit of butter = heaven!

Great recipe!

marjie April 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Nutbutter with beef- reminds me of a Diners, Drive-in and Dives show where a diner where peanut butter was a topping for a burger. I thought it was strange but I also thought that topping a burger with a fried egg was strange until I tried it. Need to remember to keep not only my mind open but my taste buds too!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 9, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Simple and perfect. Simply perfect. :)