Indian Fusion Cuisine

by HEAB on April 8, 2011

I often refer to my food combos as strange or weird, but I think I prefer Ashley’s adjectives: creative and quirky. So, here is another creative, yet quirky combo for ya…

Because who doesn’t love cornbread atop Indian food?

My dreams of making Channa Masala finally came to fruition, and I followed Jenna’s recipe, omitting the jalapeno b/c I don’t like ‘em so much.

Jenna, I did not skimp on the butter.

My first pince experience.

I didn’t have any chickpeas and used cooked lentils instead. The Channa Masala turned out delicious. Many thanks to Jenna and to my friend Jill for recommending her recipe. Now, how about that cornbread topping?

I made a new cornbread recipe this morning. It’s less crumbly and more cake-like. It’s gluten free and vegan as I was out of eggs. It also contains coconut and is slightly sweet but sugar free. I’m in love with it…can’t stop eating it…it’s half gone. Click here for the recipe.

I leave you with a smile…

Emilia, thanks again for my apron dress. It’s my new fav. -Summer

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm

oh my goodness I’ll never get over how adorable Summer is!

I love that you’re as much a cornbread lover as me :)

R @ Learning As I Chop April 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm

What a CUTIE!!!

L April 8, 2011 at 2:03 pm

oh my – she looks just like her mama!!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 8, 2011 at 2:05 pm

You have to make it with chick peas next time. I like lentils and all, but there is just something about channa.
Then you could top it with a chickpea flour bread!

Sarah R April 8, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Oh goodness–that little one of yours is too cute for words!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 8, 2011 at 2:20 pm

i love your food posts, but Summer is always my favorite part :) what a cutie!

Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) April 8, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Looks delicious! And right when I get excited about making your first corn bread recipe, you post another one!

I’m dying from all the cuteness that is Summer ;)

Danielle @ weightsandmeasures April 8, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Summer is absolutely beautiful! I had Chana Masala for lunch today, but it as not home made and was an enormous disappointment. I have never made Indian food, and I must admit I am a little nervous. Are my fear completely irrational?

HEAB April 8, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Danielle,
No, not at all. My first homemade Indian meal was a total disaster – BUT, it involved tofu, and I had never cooked with tofu. I did not press out the water, and it was so mushy, to the point that my dad asked me what the big white booger chunks were. :) Plus, I screwed up the spices, and it was just gross. Try Jenna’s recipe. Her instructions are very clear, and it was fairly simple – nothing to fear.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 8, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Oh my goodness–I am dying over Summer’s cuteness!! And that apron dress is just adorable. I think I might have baby fever. :-)

I never have the nerve to make authentic Indian food at home, but I love eating it at restaurants.

robyn jones clark April 8, 2011 at 2:29 pm

i needed to see that smiling face today. :) so cute.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Now THAT’S a combination! It’s creative and AWESOME!

Awww, what a cutie! :)

Lesley Lifting Life April 8, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I love Indian food! Looks like my kind of meal.

What an adorable smile! :)

Jill April 8, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Soooo glad you finally had time to make it and liked it! I don’t think cornbread on top is too weird-guess it’s just a kind of bread to go with it and I was thinking it would be super awesome to make naan to go with it one of these times.

I will say that I was pretty nervous about the jalapenos at first but if you just are careful to remove all the seeds (where the real heat is) and chop them really finely they actually aren’t *hot* but mostly just nicely spicy :-)

HEAB April 8, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Jill,
Yes, was thinking the same thing about naan, but cornbread is just so easy to make. Thanks for the jalapeno tip. Will try it next time. :)

kate@ahealthypassion April 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Not a conbread fan but the way you describe it definitely makes me want to try it! By the way your daughter is absolutely precious!

kate@ahealthypassion April 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Not a cornbread fan but the way you describe it definitely makes me want to try it! By the way your daughter is absolutely precious!

kate@ahealthypassion April 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm

ahh sorry didnt mean to post twice :(

HEAB April 8, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Thanks Kate, and no worries about the double post. I love hearing that is Summer is adorable not once, but twice. ;)

Melissa @ TryingToHeal April 8, 2011 at 2:43 pm

she is so adorable! talk about putting a smile on MY face!

Lauren (PB&G) April 8, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Yum! Indian food with cornbread on top.. yes please!

That photo of your daughter is just adorable! That smile just melts your heart!

Ana April 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Omg Heather, that picture of Summer just brightened up my day! I have been down today since I woke up, don’t know why.
But Summer totally made me smile!!
And the lentils look delicious, I love lentils! :-)

HEAB April 8, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Ana,
Oh, I’m so glad. Cheer up my friend – it’s a sunny Friday. Sending you love. :)

Corey @ the runner's cookie April 8, 2011 at 2:59 pm

What a face!! Oh my goodness, Summer is getting cuter by the day :) Hope you guys have a great weekend!

Matt April 8, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Indian is the BEST! I had some take out a few nights ago and it totally hit the spot.

Courtney (greeneyedrunner) April 8, 2011 at 3:20 pm

That looks SO good, I’m definitely going to have to make your cornbread recipe! I love how a lot of your recipes aren’t sweet-I love sweets but at the end of the day all I really crave is a big pile of vegetables!

And Summer, I didn’t think she could get any more perfect, but as always, proven wrong!

Amelia April 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Mmmm….cornbread! Delicious delicious.

Summer– you get more adorable everyday! :)

Heather April 8, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I thought the food combination was the best part of this post, until I saw Summer!

She is the cutest baby ever!

Jess@atasteofconfidence April 8, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Summer and that dress are so cute!

Tawnee Prazak April 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I am seriously making both of these things THIS weekend!!!!

Pure2raw Twins April 8, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Oh Heather your food combos are very creative! We have the quirky and weird ones ;)
Seriously Summer is gets more cute by the minute. I bet you are just blow away by how fast babies grow up! Our niece is getting so big, hard to imagine she ones once a tiny little infant :) Babies really help make me live in the moment!

Mama Pea April 8, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I am melting over that Summer picture. Positively melting.

Ashley April 8, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Oh my gosh! Sweetest face everrrr!! Indian food + cornbread sounds like perfection to me!

Baking 'n' Books April 8, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Love the Pebbles ‘do!! I want to watch The Flintstones now…:)

Jen April 8, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I love, love, love Indian food! It’s been far too long since I’ve had it.

Oh and I think I should stop reading your blog, because every time I do, I get an outrageous craving for cornbread. The silliest part is that I have the ingredients to make it…so I don’t know why I never do. I still have Polly’s recipe on my to-make list.

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 8, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Oh. My. Word.

That is the cutest baby smile I have ever seen. 100% love.

Meagan April 8, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I said this last time but, SUMMER IS SO ADORABLE!

Holly April 8, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I *adore* channa masala and never had the guts to make it. I will have to try now — and I think the substitution of lentils for chickpeas is brilliant! Although I love my TJ’s frozen channa masala dinners, I think this will be a great substitute. The corn bread is just an added bonus. Thanks so much!! =)

tea-bag April 8, 2011 at 8:21 pm

that is seriously one cute baby!

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 8, 2011 at 8:32 pm

awwww summer looks adooraaaableeee!!! *drool* haha. what a happy baby :D and corn bread is good no matter wattttt

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 8, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Summer is soooo adorable! Love the dress!

Indian Fusion. Nice work! I have a raisin lentils with garam masala one pot meal. Cooking the lentils and everything else in one pot, from start to finish, in 30 mins. I dig Indian foods and flavors, but I don’t like curry. So I love cooking with Indian spices but omitting the curry and fusing flavors together. Your food looks awesome.

Have a super weekend, Heather! :)

Kristen, Sweetly April 8, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee! Oh my gosh, how absolutely adorable!!! Wow; I got completely sidetracked from the Indian food (which is maybe my very favorite type of cuisine).

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 8, 2011 at 11:08 pm

She is soooo cute! I always mean to comment on how delicious your food looks but your cute baby distracts me :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 8, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Aaahhh! Summer is sooo cute :) Forget about the Indian food!

Hannah April 9, 2011 at 12:35 am

Summer looks like the kind of doll I would’ve yearned for as a kid – gorgeous, happy, cuddly… heyguesswhatyoumadethat!! :P

Thank you for the cornbread recipe! I love the stuff though have rarely made it, as it’s not common in Australia. I do have polenta in the cupboard though!

Yvonne S April 9, 2011 at 2:47 am

I love cornbread, but I tend to eat it only around Thanksgiving- probably because I always use it in one of my stuffings. Also, I’m still searching for my ideal cornbread recipe: not as dry/crumbly as traditional Southern cornbread, and a bit sweet, but not as sweet as its Northern cousin. Your description of yours as being “cake-like” sounds like my ideal cornbread texture.

Also, cornbread + Indian food is genius. Indian dishes always seem to call out for a starchy side, and this seems like a fabulous alternative to a mound of rice or Naan (which I LOVE, but I am capable of inhaling half a dozen basketball shoe-sized pieces in one sitting)- very filling and nutritious!

Ending a post with the beautiful baby seriously gives me the warm-and-fuzzies! Thank you for sharing!

maya @ finding balance in tokyo April 9, 2011 at 7:19 am

That is an absolutely adorable picture of Summer. She has the nicest smile!

..and the cornbread isn’t so bad looking either. :D

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) April 9, 2011 at 11:16 am

I love channa masala and all things related to Indian cuisine!! If I had to pick a favorite cuisine, it might just be Indian (with Mediterranean a VERY close second :) ) Love the looks of your channa masala! And I’m dying to make your cornbread! I don’t normally like cornbread, but yours just looks SOOO good!! :D

Awwww… that is the most adorable picture ever!! You’re doing such an amazing job with your little girl! I hope I get to meet her someday :D

Janelle April 9, 2011 at 11:39 am

That dress…that smile…oh my! How adorable.

Allie April 9, 2011 at 4:14 pm

The pictures of Summer put the biggest smile on my face every time. I recently became an aunt and relayed the book (you mentioned it a while back) for introducing food to my sister-in-law. She seemed keen on the idea. Thanks for posting about it!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 9, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I’ve planned to make a lentil curry dish for some time now, but haven’t managed so far. This looks very good! And I’m all for expressing your habits and traits in a nice way! ;)

Angel7 April 9, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Cornbread is so yummy!

She is so cute! The dress looks so adorable on her!

vanillasugarblog April 9, 2011 at 7:51 pm

i really want to wear a dress like summers’. its just presh.

Kristi @ KristiAteIt April 9, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I think your love of corn bread recently has made me crave it. I’m pretty sure I’ll be making it soon!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 10, 2011 at 3:15 am

Aaaah, she’s soooooo cute! How do you get anything done? She just makes me want to smile back at her all day, haha.

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast April 10, 2011 at 4:40 am

I think cornbread goes good with with just about anything! I’m definitely going to try the vegan cornbread – maybe today since I made chili last night that is super spicy and is begging for some cornbread to calm it down. :)

My goodness Summer just gets cuter and cuter! Annabelle just turned 1 yesterday. My how time flies!

HEAB April 10, 2011 at 6:53 am

Emily,
Really? I think you started your blog when she was 6 months old? Wow, that went by fast. Happy Birthday Annabelle! :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit April 10, 2011 at 6:00 am

Great pic of Summer! Your cornbread sounds delicious, where’s the recipe? ;-)

HEAB April 10, 2011 at 6:56 am

Annie, here is the recipe: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/coconut-cornbread-cake/. It’s so good!

The Teenage Taste April 10, 2011 at 8:10 am

Oh my gosh! Summer is getting so big! She’s such a cutie! :-)

Valerie - CityLifeEats April 10, 2011 at 11:59 am

That’s an adorable picture of Summer :)

I am all about quirky combinations :)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins April 10, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Cakey, slightly-sweet cornbread?! Don’t mind if I do… :)

Heather April 12, 2011 at 4:55 pm

She is just so darn beautiful! Seeing her makes me wish I could rewind mine and do it all over again. My 1st baby is 19. :o (

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Awww, every time I see that sweet little smile, it makes me smile instantly! SO cute! I can’t wait to check out your cornbread recipe…it sounds perfect!