Cookie Dough For Breakfast

by HEAB on April 11, 2011

I made a sugar-free cookie dough smoothie for breakfast.

I know my taste buds are a bit wonky, but this bowl tasted straight up like cookie dough. I used Kath’s Dough Boy Smoothie as a base, and then added a few key ingredients to give it that cookie dough taste.

The peanut butter was a sample I received from Shawn who is trying to start a new nut butter company called Ground.

Unfortunately, I can’t try most of the samples until after Lent b/c they either include either almonds or some kind of sugar. However, the plain peanut butter contains nothing but organic dry roasted peanuts, and wow, did it taste perfect atop my smoothie – ┬álike fresh roasted unsalted peanuts. When it comes to using peanut butter as a topping, I prefer a runnier consistency, but for smoothies, I prefer something a bit thicker. Not sure why – I think it’s b/c the drizzle usually sinks and gets lost in the cold smoothie – are you following me? Those few bites I had consisting of peanut butter, cold smoothie, and chocolate chunks were out of this world. Thanks Shawn – good stuff, and I can’t wait to try your other flavors post-Easter!

Happy Monday and a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to CD!!!!

Carolyn April 11, 2011 at 10:49 am

that looks wonderful!

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 11, 2011 at 10:50 am

Happy Birthday CD!

I am definitely going to make your cookie dough smoothie tomorrow morning!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 11, 2011 at 11:01 am

Love the addition of nutritional yeast! I’ve been meaning to try that recipe, look soo tasty :) Happy Birthday CD!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 11, 2011 at 11:07 am

mmmm I need to try this my breakfast recipes (the two I usually do) are getting very tirrrred! :)

Kelly April 11, 2011 at 11:07 am

Cookie dough for breakfast always in wins my book! Happy Birthday CD!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 11, 2011 at 11:11 am

Great recipe!

carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 11, 2011 at 11:13 am

stop.. im serious- this looks so good it is hurting my eyes

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 11, 2011 at 11:14 am

I think the warmer weather is bringing up the smoothie lover in all of us! Cold drinks sound soo good right now. Love this!

Happy Birthday CD! :)

Lauren @ WWoB April 11, 2011 at 11:16 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CD!!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 11, 2011 at 11:27 am

Happy Birthday CD!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 11, 2011 at 11:34 am

Seriously, my stomach just started growling! Haha! I was dreaming of cookie dough last night after catching up on Nicole’s posts over at Cookies & Carrots!

Happy B Day to CD!! :-D

katie April 11, 2011 at 11:42 am

Heab!!!!! happy Birthday to CD!!!!!!!!! I hope it’s a great one!!!

I love that you are doing the print recipe thing now!

Love this and I have been meaning to try it! I must!

HEAB April 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Katie,
Oh good – glad you like the print-feature. It was easy to do once another blogger told me about the plug-in. And yes, try the smoothie. It was delicious! :)

brandi@BranAppetit April 11, 2011 at 11:44 am

Happy birthday CD!

now that sounds like a good smoothie :) can you send me one for tomorrow? :)

HEAB April 11, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Brandi,
How about you and Nick come to Nashville, and I’ll make you one. :)

brandi@BranAppetit April 11, 2011 at 1:25 pm

that sounds like a plan :) My little sister and her husband live in Memphis, so if we get to go visit them, we can stop on our way through! That would be fun :)

S @ extremebalance.net/blog April 11, 2011 at 11:45 am

Well, if *anyone* could find a way to have non-sugared cookie dough for breakfast, it would be you. :) It makes me wish I could get over my texture issues with oatmeal!

And an HB to CD!

HEAB April 11, 2011 at 1:25 pm

S,
I wish the same thing for you. Not even a fan of oatmeal after it’s blended?

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Happy Birthday to CD! I hope he has a great day! The smoothie sounds delicious! I’ll have to try that one.

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy April 11, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I keep thinking I need to make Kath’s Dough Boy Smoothie, but I think this looks even better! I love chocolate chip cookie dough!

And Happy Birthday CD! :)

Maren April 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm

YAY! Happy Birthday CD!!!!!!! Hope he has a great one and the weather is perfect for you guys! :)

HEAB April 11, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Maren,
Thanks, but the weather isn’t so great today. We’re under a tornado watch all afternoon. :(

Sarah R April 11, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I’ve been meaning to try Kath’s doughy smoothie. Maybe tomorrow for breakfast.

Happy Birthday CD!

Evan Thomas April 11, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Happy birthday to CD!

Kath April 11, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Mmmmmm I love the addition of chocolate to this!!!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Happy Birthday, CD!! Fun smoothie. Love it!

Little Bookworm April 11, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Happy birthday to CD! :) Cookie Dough for breakfast sounds amazing too!

Asha April 11, 2011 at 12:41 pm

OMG this looks like HEAVEN! When I was a child I had a cookie dough addiction :) I would end up picking all the cookie dough bits out of cookie dough ice cream and leaving the whole pint a total mess to the unhappiness of my parents. There is something much better about the dough then actual cookies. Anyway, I will have to test your smoothie out cuz it looks so delicious!

HAPPY BDAY to CD, hope you have fun celebrating together :)

HEAB April 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Asha,
Haha – CD still picks all the cookie dough chunks out of the ice-cream or any chunk for that matter. We usually end up with nothing but a carton of vanilla ice-cream. :)

Miranda (Untamed Kitchen) April 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm

YUM! That looks so good, and it’s pretty similar to what I had for bfast! I had some cooked quinoa in the fridge, so I decided to eat them like oatmeal with Baker’s, almond butter, cinnamon and coconut milk. Mmmm. I’ll hadn’t thought about sticking it all in the blender…

HEAB April 11, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Miranda,
I love blending my bowls of cereal – hot or cold. Learned that little trick from Chocolate Covered Katie. I used to blend every morning, but then I got lazy…and CD got tired of listening to the Vita-Mix. ;)

Courtney (greeneyedrunner) April 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CD :)

Dorry April 11, 2011 at 1:11 pm

It sounds like the other varieties of Ground will be worth the wait!

Happy Birthday, CD!! :)

Lauren April 11, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Happy Birthday CD! You totally convinced me to buy the unsweetened chocolate-and when I have it with oat bran, banana, and pb with it all melty, I just love it! I don’t think I could eat it plain though! :)

HEAB April 11, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Lauren,
I started out eating the unsweetened chocolate dipped in almond butter, but now I love it all on it’s own…but only the Baker’s brand. Other brands are too bitter for me. Glad you liked it – melted over oat bran is the best way to eat it! :)

Corey @ the runner's cookie April 11, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I’ve been wanting to try Kath’s dough boy smoothie since she posted it – Thanks for the reminder! Happy birthday, CD!!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Ahhh, LOVE this! You’re getting so creative with the non-sugar recipes and it’s so fun to follow along. :)

Happy Birthday CD!!!

lindsay April 11, 2011 at 1:37 pm

happy birthday CD! Are you going to make him a MEAT cake? Or maybe a MEAT pie? hehe.
p.s.
think brewers yeast would also work in your cookie dough recipe?

HEAB April 11, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Lindsay,
You know us so well! CD has requested a Meatza for his b-day: http://freetheanimal.com/2009/09/meat-crust-pizza-its-meatza.html, and yes, I think Brewer’s yeast would work just as well. I’ve come to love the taste of Brewer’s yeast more than nooch. I prefer its stronger flavor.

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit April 11, 2011 at 1:37 pm

One too many blogs with dough boy smoothie love! I don’t think I can resist any longer!!!

P.S.: Photos of my Peanut Butter Banana Muffins up on my blog :)

Lissa April 11, 2011 at 1:39 pm

So glad Summer’s doing so well!! Love that book too, HSH, HB. Best book out there, next to the Happiest Baby on the Block! It’s so true — a well-rested mama = a well-rested family. YAY!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) April 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Coincidence that CD has the same initials as Cookie Dough? I think not. :)

Happy birthday HEAB (Husband Eats Almond Butter)!

HEAB April 11, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Diana,
You so clevah. ;)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 11, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I can totally understand why you have particular expectations regarding PB runniness, depending on with what you are going to have it. I’m special with food, and sometimes it are just the little things that make the difference whether I totally like something or totally dislike. Temperature with tea/coffee with cream is such a thing – if it’s hot, I totally like it, if it’s too cold, I find it icky.

Angel1 April 11, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Great way to start off your breakfast! I love cookie dough, especially when it is a healthy version!

Baking 'n' Books April 11, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Happy B-Day CD! Any special plans in the works?

Nooch in cookie dough? Interesting!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 11, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Happy Bday to CD! Wow, a year…it flew by for me. I remember the bday post from last year!

I commented on that post of Kath’s and said anything w/ the words cookie dough in it has my immediate attention. And you went and made it even more amazing! YUM to the nooch, PB, choc chips…seriously so good sounding!

I am not even that much of a smoothie girl just b/c well, I like to chew, but I would bend my rules for this creation, for sure :)

Jen April 11, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Happy birthday CD! Did he get a cookie dough smoothie for breakfast too? I know I’d want one if I saw you making it! :)

Cate April 11, 2011 at 3:08 pm

That looks divine!

Emilia April 11, 2011 at 3:35 pm

This looks UHmazing. I’m loving your sugar- free version much better….ssssh, don’t tell :) Nutritional yeast, chocolate, and peanut butter? Yeah, that’s just how some of us roll, huh? :)
xoxo

Clare @ Fitting It All In April 11, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Happy Birthday CD!!

Alaina April 11, 2011 at 4:20 pm

That does look unbelievable! Smoothies in a bowl seem to be the in thing. I’ll have to get on that! :-)

Emily April 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Happy birthday CD!

megan @ the oatmeal diaries April 11, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Definitely saving this recipe!!
Hope CD has a great birthday :)

Meagan April 11, 2011 at 6:02 pm

That looks like a fab smoothie. I’ve never had baker’s chocolate for breakfast, I am kind of scared :? And I totally agree about the whole sink or float(?) idea with the peanut butter and smoothies. I’m glad someone else feels the same way!!

The Teenage Taste April 11, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I know how you feel Heather! I gave up Nutella for Lent and there was just a HUGE sale at my grocery store. I bought 3 jars and each jar ended up coming out to $2. Cheap for Nutella. Don’t worry, I didn’t have any, but the temptation is there! :-P

CD’s birthday is today, April 11th?! We share the same birthday! :-D
Happy Birthday CD!

Annie@stronghealthyfit April 11, 2011 at 7:14 pm

YUM!
Happy B-day CD :-)

Ana April 11, 2011 at 8:15 pm

That smoothie look so good!
Happy birthday to CD!!

marie April 11, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Happy, happy birthday to you, CD!! I hope you had a great day and that the coming year is your best yet.

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) April 11, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Ahh this looks amazing- genius! I can’t wait to try it :)

xo

Lea @ Healthy Coconut April 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Happy birthday to Chris! (my fiance Chris had his birthday recently too)

I just had a cookie dough tasting smoothie in a bowl and I got to your blog and see this too, gotta love it. I have been on the unsweetened Baker’s chocolate shaving kick lately.

Pure2raw twins April 11, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Happy birthday CD!!! Hope it is a great way!!

Cookie dough smoothie sounds wonderful!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 11, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Oh my gosh! I love this recipe! YAY for SUGAR FREE! I have to try this! YUMMY!

Katie April 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm

YUM. That’s it.

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 12, 2011 at 12:37 am

Mmmm great stuff!! and the butters look amazing already~hey Shawn, I’m sure there are 34309748 of us who’d love to try ‘em! lol ;)

Hannah April 12, 2011 at 2:24 am

Happy birthday CD!!! I hope he (and you and Summer) had the most wonderfullest day! Surely it must have been, if it started with this deliciousness. I’m printing it now :)

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) April 12, 2011 at 8:12 am

that smoothie looks soooo awesome!!

Beth@naturallyyoursbeth April 12, 2011 at 8:25 am

Ok cookie dough anything…I’m IN!! Looks delish :)

Rachel (tea and chocolate) April 12, 2011 at 8:32 am

I wish I had seen this last night so I could be eating it for breakfast this morning. I know what I’m having tomorrow!

And happy birthday to CD!

Ashley April 12, 2011 at 10:24 am

You had me at FULL attention with the title of this post. I keep meaning to try the doughy smoothie in a bowl!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins April 12, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Umm…cookie dough for breakfast?! I will be prepping this tonight and scarfing this tomorrow morning, thankyouverymuch!

Monica April 12, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Yum! That combo sounds great!

I am hoping that my sudden hatred for nuts and nut butters diminishes as I move into the second trimester. I miss almond butter in my smoothies!

Amelia (Eating Made Easy) April 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm

This is such a great idea! Smoothies are so good in general, and turning one into a (guiltless) cookie dough treat is perfect!

Melissa April 15, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Yum! Made this w/almond milk but left out the chia seeds and yeast. Still so good!!!!

megan @ the oatmeal diaries April 17, 2011 at 2:40 am

Now that I figured out this doesn’t require banana… guess what I’m eating for breakfast tomorrow?! =D

Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. April 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm

i’ve already eaten 2 breakfasts this morning…and this makes me want to go for #3 right now! Tomorrow it is on! :) Thanks for the recipe!

eatingRD April 18, 2011 at 9:40 pm

yum! Looks fantastic! I actually kind of want this for dessert now :)

Mari April 19, 2011 at 8:35 am

I just made this with oat bran (oats can never hold me over as long as I’d like :( ) and it was wonderful!
I ground the oat bran to a flour in my spice grinder and cooked it in the first 1/2 cup of milk along with 1 cup of water, whisking a lot until it’s thick and creamy. I kept it covered in the fridge overnight, and in the morning I measured out the chia, mixed it with some water and then let it sit while I continued with the recipe, adding the chia gel to the smoothie with the chocolate chips (I used homemade, from Oh She Glows!) and nooch. It was amazing. Definitely the most enjoyable breakfast I’ve had in a while. Super-filling, too! I ate about half and felt full, so I put the rest in the fridge and ate it when I started feeling hungry again. This NEVER happens, and I’m someone who eats oat bran regularly. ;)

Thanks for the recipe! <3

Scott in Ohio April 20, 2011 at 7:05 am

HEABs, had this today for breakfast. Wow!

I added some whey protein powder and raisins since I like oatmeal raisin cookies (and oaties, of course!)

Next time I might throw in some butter and an egg to make it authentic. :)

Have a great day, kiddo!

Anita April 21, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Gessssh, you have alot going on. Well you are coming down the home stretch now. Soon, the nut butters will be back on the menu. Today’s dinner
(slightly weird), baked chicken breast cubed, Lundberg’s brown rice couscous mixed with some bulghar wheat, olive oil, nutritional yeast, my new can’t live without it spice: Mrs. Dash Fiest Lime, roasted cauliflower and a dollop of chobani yogurt. Side of toasted vitamuffin, corn with earth balance spread ( too sweet, should have made your recipe again for cornbread ). Trader Joe’s is selling that special butter you llke. Whole Foods was entirely sold out. That would have been good on this also. Happy Easter to all.

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Anita,
Doesn’t sound weird to me at all. Sounds right up my alley in fact. Any leftovers? ;)

janetha @ meals and moves April 27, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Just blended my base and it’s going in the fridge now.. can’t wait for the morning :) xoxo

VeggieGirl April 28, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I. freaking. love. this.

Mari June 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Okay, nearly 2 months later and I’ve only NOT had some version of this once or twice. I am obsessed! I’ve tried a few different flavors but the absolute best is cookie dough with peppermint-chip coming in at a close second. Just needed to thank you again for changing my life (seriously, my breakfasts have gotten so amazing since this post). :)

HEAB June 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Mari,
Haha – I love it. Thanks for letting me know and Happy Breakfasting. :)

Ellen October 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I made it, I liked it, I blogged and linked to you:)
Amazing. I seriously doubted it would taste like cookie dough and had to eat my words. And my shake. And wished I had another to eat…

Nikki January 17, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Just a quick question for ya: Why is it that you do the blending in two parts? Would it no work if I just blended everything in one go, then left it to soak overnight, and ate it the next day? Would it be thinner or thicker if I did this?? Thanks!! SUPER curious to try the N. Yeast in a non-savory way!! Happening SOON! Now, if only I didn’t feel bad about eating grains more than twice a day!!

HEAB January 17, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Hi Nikki,
No, you can probably blend it all together the night before – not sure how thick it will be, but should turn out fine. I would just stir in the nutritional yeast and chocolate in the morning, and grains twice in one day is nothing to feel guilty about in my opinion. Been known to that myself…and quite often. Enjoy your cookie dough oatmeal! :)

Nikki January 17, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Thanks for the speedy response!! I will make this happen soon!
I know I shouldn’t feel bad about the grains – especially when they are all whole grains! I used to eat probably close to 10-12 servings a day, and that mainly being in the form of breads, buns, bagels, cereal, and crackers (which were always whole wheat, bran, etc., but not quite the same as the simple grain cooked at home!) Oh how I long for the days of eating breads and the like! Stupid eating disorder!!

HEAB January 18, 2013 at 9:24 am

Nikki,
You’re welcome. Love my grains too, and often times feel guilty when I go overboard on them (read too many pro low carb book/blogs), but then I tell myself that as long I’m not eating refined or sugar laden grains, a serving (or three) a day is fine. No more guilt about simple grains prepared at home. Nothing wrong with that! :)

{ 25 trackbacks }