CD’s Dream Dinner

by HEAB on April 12, 2011

Yesterday was CD’s birthday. Per his request, I made him a Meatza. A what? A Meatza, a pizza with a meat crust. The recipe comes from one of Chris’s favorite blogs, Free The Animal.

Crust pre-topping:

Pre-broiling:

I ate my meatza atop cooked veggies. ‘Twas good. Nice choice CD.

CD is the hardest person to shop for as he wants or needs nothing. So, for his birthday, I turned my former massage therapy space into his own private man-cave, and I put the pink back in my hair. Boy loves my pink streak. :)

Me serving CD a bowl of Butterfied Oaties (new nut-free oatie recipe!), his favorite birthday cake. Notice the pink?

We had a great time celebrating his birthday last night…only thing missing was Summer. She went to bed before all the festivities began. :(

Love you CD!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) April 12, 2011 at 11:14 am

This is some combination of genius and primal. I wonder if this could be done with grilled chicken and eggs as the crust…

HEAB April 12, 2011 at 11:19 am

Victoria,
Yum, I’m sure it could. The crust did actually contain an egg – just went back and edited recipe as I forgot to include it. You could always use ground chicken or turkey instead of beef.

Jen April 12, 2011 at 11:24 am

Oh my god, that’s my boyfriend’s DREAM pizza. I have to make that for him one day. I’d probably have a slice on top of veggies, like you did. Heather, you’re such a good wife! This is actually a great way to make pizza more protein-based instead of card-based. I can’t believe I’ve never seen anything like this before. It’s a great idea. And I love the pink! It looks really cute.

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 12, 2011 at 11:34 am

OK that “pizza” is hilarious! I’m sure Jason would love that!

And I love the pink!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 12, 2011 at 11:42 am

Happy Birthday CD!

I love the pink Heather! Is that permanent dye?

HEAB April 12, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Samantha,
No, but my hairdresser had to bleach the streak first, and that is permanent. So, I’ll eventually have one very blond streak once the pink washes away. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 12, 2011 at 11:45 am

LOVE the hair! Super cute.

And the meatza kind of scares me. :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 12, 2011 at 11:46 am

Aw. :) I love your pink streak, your thoughtful wifeyness, and CD’S birthday oaties! This post made smile. Cute <3

Marina April 12, 2011 at 11:55 am

Happy birthday to CD!
Your hair really looks cute with that pinky part :)

Mama Pea April 12, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Aww man, Meatza cracks me up. It also makes me want to invent a Pea-zza. :)

Happy Birthday, CD!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 12, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Sounds perfect! The boys would freak over meat crust pizza. Love the pink.

Whitney April 12, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I have been looking forward to this post since Chris told Nick about the Meatza this morning. What a perfect Bday dinner for him!

I think your piece on top of the veggies looks good!

HEAB April 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Whitney,
It was actually really good – more pizza restaurants should offer a meat crust. We didn’t have the maple bacon cupcakes, but I’m hoping to make them soon!

jen @ taste life April 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Oh my gosh, I was thinking it was going to be a pizza with a bunch of meat on top, but a crust made of meat??? That’s amazing and I would have never thought you could do that!

And, like everyone else, I love the pink in your hair!

Ana April 12, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I also thought it would be a meat pizza, but not a crust made of meat. You are a wonderful wife Heather! And I like the pink too!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 12, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I would totally eat that ;)

Natalia - a side of simple April 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm

A manly dinner AND a man-cave? What a lucky man! The touch of pink here and there is definitely what makes the whole affair a sign of true masculinity ;)

Happy belated birthday, CD!

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit April 12, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Oh yum! As much as I am not crazy about the taste of beef (I’ve just never been a cow fan!), that looks so incredibly delicious… I wonder if the Sailorman would approve of a Meatza using a bacon basketwoven crust for his birthday?! ha.

Kiersten April 12, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I love the pink streak! CD sounds like my fiance, who is IMPOSSIBLE to buy birthday gifts for. Despite the fact that I don’t eat meat, I am amused that you made a pizza crust out of beef. I know plenty of guys who would drool over that.

Jess April 12, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Yay for pink hair! I miss mine…and so does my fiance, haha.

Jen April 12, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Oh man, the husband would love it if I made him a meatza!!! Thanks for the idea :)

Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 12, 2011 at 1:23 pm

That pizza looks amazing and SO easy! I must give it a try :-)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Is it semi-permanent dye that your hairdresser used? I think it looks really awesome!

And what a perfect birthday meal! :)

HEAB April 12, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Heather,
Honestly, I’m not sure. She’s done it before, and the dye usually fades pretty fast, So, it probably is semi-permanent. She bleaches the streak first, and soon it will just be a very blond streak. :)

Tonya April 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Like the dessert. Being a veggie, not sure the meat crust idea would work…although I could try using my fav Quorn grounds? Had to mention that i made the cookie dough concauction today minus the chocolate chips using JD Local whole chocolate milk. Mmmm : )

Beth@naturallyyoursbeth April 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm

My BF and dad will both appreciate the meatza!! Thanks for sharing! I think Ill definitely try it with ground turkey and see how it goes. And I’m loving the pink streak…it looks awesome girl :)

Maren April 12, 2011 at 2:04 pm

oh my gosh. Well I’m going to be honest. I think this looks absolutely disgusting… but I HATE beef. I don’t know why! When I was younger and my dad would grill burgers, I would shove as much as I could in my mouth and then pretend I had to use the bathroom and I’d spit it out! I’m weird and don’t know why I just told you that story :) Anyway, my boyfriend LOVES beef and I think he would die and go to heaven if I made this for him!! I’ve never cooked beef in my life, but I just might have to make an exception for this! This is such an amazingly cool idea and recipe!!! Hope you guys enjoyed it! Maybe I’ll have to switch it out for turkey and try it for myself! ;)

Christin@purplebirdblog April 12, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Happy birthday, CD! I had pink hair for 2 years, and I LOVE your streak! I’ve been going back and forth in my head about either bleaching a streak to dye purple or dying all my hair with henna… can’t decide!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 12, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I am going to choose to not let my husband know that “Meatza” exists. :-)

R @ Learning As I Chop April 12, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Haven’t heard of a meatza before but I have a feeling my husband would love it.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 12, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Butterfied Oaties = nice!

Love the pink candle. A true renaissance man :)

And the fact that you cooked a meatza for him…what a lucky guy!

So glad you two had a little time alone and Summer went to bed. That alone is a wonderful gift :)

Katie April 12, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I love the pink streak too! And happy birthday to CD. My birthday is in a month or so….I think I may request a meatza myself!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free April 12, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Happy Belated Birthday, CD!!!!!!! I am totally trying that meatza, by the way. My whole family is drooling at the thought…

Corey @ the runners cookie April 12, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Ben would love the idea of a meat pizza! I need to pass that on. So glad CD had a nice birthday! And the pink streak is nice on you :)

Carbzilla April 12, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Happy Birthday, CD!!!!

Just to clarify, the beef is ground, correct? We’ll have to try that the next time we’re craving pizza or meatloaf!

HEAB April 12, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Carb,
Yep, ground beef. :)

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse April 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Happy belated birthday to CD! The meatza looks lovely, as does the “cake”… I love that moose bowl too :-)

Natalie April 12, 2011 at 4:09 pm

aww what a wonderful birthday dinner! you and CD seem like so much fun. and i LOVE that pink streak on you, you rock it so well!!!

Megan April 12, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Must. Try. Now.

p.s. I love that blog too!

Dani April 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Who knew such a thing existed as a Meatza. Sounds oddly interesting (and yummy). And hooray for pink hair! I like it too;)

Little Bookworm April 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm

The ‘cake’ looks great. Love the pink streak in your hair as well!

clare April 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm

happy birthday CD! heather, this recipe is going in my husbands queue immediately. i’m trying to feed him lots less wheat/gluten, so a grain free pizza will be right up the alley! thanks, perfect!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Okay, and I thought I had come across quite a lot of primal recipes … but *meat crust* is something I’ve never seen (or imagined)! 8O Fancy idea!

Love the oaty bowl. You and CD are my favorite example of how a relaxed handling of special and individually appropriate eating can look like in a family. I love it! :D

HEAB April 12, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Thanks Kath. :)

Maren April 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I couldn’t help myself! I made it for dinner! haha I just subbed beef for turkey!

HEAB April 12, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Maren,
How was it????

Brittany @ Pretty Fit, Pretty Healthy, Pretty Happy April 12, 2011 at 5:17 pm

The pink streak is AWESOME! I did it in college when I was a little too heavy-handed with blonde highlights.
If I didn’t have to bleach my hair for the pink to show up, I’d put some more in! Love it.

CH April 12, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Happy birthday to CD! That is quite possibly the most manly meal I have ever heard of. A pizza made of meat? Wow! Not gonna lie, though, I am pretty womanly, but I would definitely eat it!

Samantha April 12, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I think my husband will love the meatza! Happy Birthday CD!

melissa @ the delicate place April 12, 2011 at 6:11 pm

it was nate’s bday yesterday too! happy bday to the boys :)

HEAB April 12, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Melissa,
Happy Belated Birthday to Nate! :)

The Teenage Taste April 12, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Haha! I love the idea of the meatza! I bet my Dad would love that – he loves his meat! :-P
Thanks for the birthday wishes, Heather! You are so nice! :-D

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) April 12, 2011 at 6:54 pm

You’re such a great wife :) My hubby would LOVE that meat-za as well! And I totally love the pink streak. Happy Belated b-day to CD!

xo

Angel7 April 12, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I am sure that my husband and I would like meatza pizza, since we LOVE pizza :)

brandi@BranAppetit April 12, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I was wondering if the pink would come back again! I like it :)

Happy Birthday to CD – sounds like it was a great night!

lindsay April 12, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Gotta love the meatza man! Glad he has a good bday. We know he got his Iron in, thats for sure.

Baking 'n' Books April 12, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Does that mean your giving Massage a break for a while? Did you ever treat clients at home or was that just your own area?

Man-Cave – sooooooo Tim Taylor on “Home Improvement”! (I watch re-runs of that show every night).

mama April 12, 2011 at 8:59 pm

So what would you guys do if you had to have summer up later than 6pm? I mean it seems awful early but i completely understand because i have a 9 week old that would like to be in bed by 7 every night (and sleeps better when she is) but we just cant seem to always be home by that time! We feel like we are trapped house-bound in the evenings and especially with a toddler that likes to do things, its hard!

HEAB April 12, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Mama,
Well, honestly, we don’t go out that much at night. The times we have been out since Summer was born was back when she was going to bed later in the evenings. Now, we just tell our friends we have to meet them for dinner no later than 5, and if we need to be out later, then we try and get a babysitter. Otherwise, we just stay in – we don’t mind so much. :)

Monica April 12, 2011 at 9:40 pm

What a fun dinner! My husband would love this!

Happy birthday CD! Looks like it was a wonderful one!

Baking Serendipity April 12, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I have never heard of this before, but can only imagine how much my husband would love it! Bookmarking this one to share for sure :) Thanks!

Hannah April 12, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Meatza dinner! Has there ever been a dish more embroiled in testosterone? At least until you put it on salad, that is :P Love the pink streak! And Summer will be there for so many birthdays to come, you’ll hardly remember she ever thought to sleep through this one :P

Lena April 13, 2011 at 12:42 am

Happy Birthday to CD! Summer’s growing up so fine! :) )) thanks for sharing lovely pictures of her :) May your family be continually blessed with loads of joy and laughter always!!! :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 13, 2011 at 3:58 am

hahaha that’s awesome! love the meatza idea. Looks purty yummy if you ask me~~

Allie April 13, 2011 at 6:12 am

April 12th is day all the cool people were born. I guess I’m a bit biased … since I share the birth date. :p

Pure2raw twins April 13, 2011 at 6:17 am

meat pizza crust? i have never heard of this to be honest, sounds just like something my family would love. Will have to try it out on them next time I am home.

Glad CD had a wonderful birthday!

katie April 13, 2011 at 8:56 am

Heather,
I’m not one to comment on here much, but I am compelled to right now because I’m eating your version of the dough boy smoothie and it is absolutely the best breakfast I’ve had in a long time. I only have slightly wonkie taste buds, and it still tastes like cookie dough, even without any sweetener! You have me totally turned on to unsweetened chocolate also. It took a few squares to get used to (slathered in nut butter), but now I happily enjoy plain squares all the time! Also, I was wondering if you’ve read up on or heard of the primal lifestyle, because your ‘diet’ seems to really align with it! Marksdailyapple.com is an awesome sight if you want delicious meal ideas and lot of well researched nutrition topics. Glad you had an enjoyable night with your husband and I’m absolutely trying out the meatza ASAP!!!! my roommates are gonna think my taste buds are more than slightly wonkie after that one :)
-katie

HEAB April 13, 2011 at 9:23 am

Katie,
So happy to hear you enjoyed the cookie dough smoothie – I couldn’t believe how much it reminded me of the Nestle Toll House cookie dough I used to eat all the time. So tasty, and yes, Marks Daily Apple is one of the first blogs I ever read. His Case Against Cardio post changed my whole outlook on exercise.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy your Meatza…followed by some unsweetened chocolate. :)

Kim @ Spoonful of Sass April 13, 2011 at 10:05 am

Interesting pizza! Looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it! I recently joined a meat CSA to get local grass fed meats…so now I’m constantly on the look out for new recipes.

Alaina April 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Whoa, that is one manly pizza. :-) Looks good!

Kari April 14, 2011 at 10:47 am

I’ve been making meatza for a little over a week straight. Cheap and easy, just how I like my meals. I hadn’t had pizza in a year, and trying to watch my carb intake wasn’t helping. Enter the Meatza. I love them….. I’ve made a supreme meatza the last two time, but I’m thinking about trying a Mexican version the next time. It’s tought without any cheese, but it’s still good.

If you add a bunch of fennel (dried spice) to the crust, it really gets and Italian sausage taste even though it’s beef.

Karen April 14, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Heather,

I LOVED the Meatza!!! I made it using a mix of beef and sausage (organic grass fed). Oh man! I used leftover roasted vegetables on top… with Daiya cheese… Way too good…

Thank you for a terrific idea!

Carbzilla April 14, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Per my Tweet, made the Meatza’s today (will post soon)! I used organic French Onion Soup mix in the meat, but didn’t have any pizza toppings besides sauce and cheese. Adding turkey pepperoni seemed a bit over the top, but I’m not opposed to it in the future. :) Soooo easy and delicious!

{ 2 trackbacks }